or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › AT&T ranks last in Consumer Reports mobile service survey
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AT&T ranks last in Consumer Reports mobile service survey - Page 3

post #81 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

3G affects data and voice. If the iPhone showed both, you'd know wi-fi was being used for data and 3G was being used to provide higher quality voice calls.

I see your point, but I think it would just confuse people, hence the reason just shows the WiFI symbol when you using that for data.

The reason that showing the GPRS or EDGE symbols to know you are on GSM and showing the 3G symbol to know you are on UMTS or HSDPA is a moot point because signal strength is more important to making a call and accepting a call than the type of network you are on. Even with UMTS AT&T doesnt have to use full-rate with AMR with UMTS(3G) or half-rate AMR with GSM(2G). There really is no way for you to tell from tower-to-tower and definitely well beyond the scope of the average user.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #82 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

Get with the program. Most everyone else in the world is running iPhone OS 3.1.2, with a newer baseband, too.

He quoted you the info about the YouTube video since you suggested it may be jailbroken. That video was uploaded back with v3.0 was the newest.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #83 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

He quoted you the info about the YouTube video since you suggested it may be jailbroken. That video was uploaded back with v3.0 was the newest.

To quote trek: "here is a perfect example of how bad the iphone service is..." (emphasis added)

We have only the poster's word for it that the OS is 3.0 and the device is not jailbroken. He doesn't try rebooting to fix the problem. We really know nothing about what this iPhone has been through in its present boot cycle. Yes, the video was created July 14, 2009, when OS 3.0 was the latest, but 3.0.1 was available July 31, and version 3.1.2 is current. By definition then, the video does not provide a "perfect example" of how good/bad iPhone service is.
post #84 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I see your point, but I think it would just confuse people, hence the reason just shows the WiFI symbol when you using that for data.

Speaking of confusing, I recounted a very intelligent iPhone owner who thought he was rarely getting 3G service, just because the wi-fi symbol was displayed instead of "3G". I leave it up to Apple to come up with the solution, but the present situation is certainly confusing and not ideal.

Quote:
The reason that showing the GPRS or EDGE symbols to know you are on GSM and showing the 3G symbol to know you are on UMTS or HSDPA is a moot point because signal strength is more important to making a call and accepting a call than the type of network you are on.

Let's not get so technical, or someone might get confused. Simply put, 3G calls sound better (they also can consume more power). Isn't it important then to know if you've got 3G coverage independently of the wi-fi status?
post #85 of 118
I should have already watched YouTube clips presenting improvised carrier satisfaction survey having happened during some show... With all those big wheels, you know... AT&T came second, I remember...

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

Reply

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

Reply
post #86 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

I should have already watched YouTube clips presenting improvised carrier satisfaction survey having happened during some show... With all those big wheels, you know... AT&T came second, I remember...

to the world i say with hand on heart and feet planted in american soil

some area's in some places have very good coverage . verizon for example is fantastic in the canyons of new york's tall buildings . we are not complete assholes ya know . 8 million ny'ers try there phones all over town and afar and have found for NEW YORK VERIZON IS GOD / f-- spriny f- k att we said
because for 10 or more yrs they have given shitty spotty bad coverage in nyc .before the data phones .

SO if you buy a IPHONE IN NYC AND EXPECT GOOD OVERAGE YOU ARE VERY STUPID OR FROM OUT OF TOWN .

peridot

also we took that same fantastic verizon phone to vegas or san fran miami st lou on and on and we saw ATT calls dropped and our calls held strong. look we all leave the hotel at the same time and board the bus to the trade show and we all call home >> the 4 verizon callers all got thru , no one else did . we was sitting in a flat large mega airport lot

IN other parts of the country maybe verizon is weak and ATT strong
maybe

the iphone users greedy use of data made ATTcoverage even worse
ATT can't seem to get signals thru all the hundreds of skyscrapers of new york
VERIZON CAN

SO when verizon gets the iphone
NEW YORK WILL ROCK
sales will soar


peace

9


ps i am no verizon fanboi i hate there billing
all those added fake charges

i have spoken
heed my call
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #87 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep View Post

twe are not complete assholes ya know.

Excellent rant, my boy! Capital, capital.
Not that I know much what exactly you are, but I feel how sincere your zeal in delivering the truth 'bout the Big Apple is.

P.S. We mean Apples no harm.

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

Reply

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

Reply
post #88 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by trev View Post

you obviously feel the need to defend something that is faulty. resetting shouldn't be necessary, it should just work as advertised.

Just like your parents wished you had been

Obviously you don't know what the hell you are talking about.

Resetting your iPhone is a Basic Troubleshooting guide.* Better you do some due diligence before you crap. There is a lot of evidence to support resetting: http://www.google.com/search?client=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

* http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1737
post #89 of 118
Wait, CR actually has 50k readers?!?! Umm, I just can't take a "survey" seriously when they poll their own readers especially when it's a magazine like CR. In other news 99% of MacWorld subscribers own Macs so obviously Windows is grossly over stating their market share /sarcasm/

Aside from exit polls surveys have become deeply flawed and erroneous. It's either randomly calling people which cut out a huge chunk of people just because they don't answers calls from people they don't know or it's online which also cuts out tons of people or, as in this case, they only poll people who subscribe to their magazine. I've never known anyone, ever, who actually got CR. Seriously, ever.
post #90 of 118
AT&T is the sole reason I don't have an iPhone. Miserable service, poor customer relations, spotty network coverage, and an absurd pricing structure for the iPhone (paying extra for SMS? Ridiculous! Weekends and evenings starting at 9pm? Absurd!). I can't wait for Apple to cut a deal with any other carrier.
post #91 of 118
Its rants like this that loose context of the situation. To some degree all of the mobile carriers have spotty coverage somewhere. No one has 100% coverage everywhere. In the past two and a half years I've had an iPhone I can only recall calling customer service once and I cannot really recall going into an AT&T store for anything in particular. I activated my two iPhones right in the Apple Store. I cannot really rate AT&T's customer service because I haven't really used it.

As far as the pricing structure, AT&T's is much the same as Verizon's. Most mobile phone users choose AT&T and Verizon. The only reason Sprint is so aggressive with its pricing is because its fighting for survival. You cannot compare AT&T's pricing to Sprint and say what AT&T is doing something ridiculous and absurd when its winning.




Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwana_Dik View Post

AT&T is the sole reason I don't have an iPhone. Miserable service, poor customer relations, spotty network coverage, and an absurd pricing structure for the iPhone (paying extra for SMS? Ridiculous! Weekends and evenings starting at 9pm? Absurd!). I can't wait for Apple to cut a deal with any other carrier.
post #92 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

Update your iPhone's OS to 3.1.2.

it is 3.1.2
Emailing video from iPhone to Apple TV , sort of..
Reply
Emailing video from iPhone to Apple TV , sort of..
Reply
post #93 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

it is 3.1.2

A few explanations seem possible. Your location for the pic is in a building-dense area. Buildings more easily block the higher frequencies where 3G is provided but pass the lower frequency (850 MHz) where EDGE is provided. (AT&T is moving its 3G service more broadly to 850 MHz). Since you're also in a population dense area in the center of downtown Charlotte using your iPhone during a peak period (lunch hour), the demand for cellular services may have caused AT&T to drop your service level from 3G to EDGE. (Verizon doesn't service nearly the demand that AT&T does, because of the iPhone). And lastly of course, you might have 3G disabled.

BTW: being on EDGE does not constitute a service outage.
post #94 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

Excellent rant, my boy! Capital, capital.
Not that I know much what exactly you are, but I feel how sincere your zeal in delivering the truth 'bout the Big Apple is.

P.S. We mean Apples no harm.

A lament to all ATT clients .>>>>>>>>

"There must be some way out of here," said the joker to the thief,
"There's too much confusion, I can't get no relief.
Businessmen, they drink my wine, plowmen dig my earth,
None of them along the line know what any of it is worth."

"No reason to get excited," the thief, he kindly spoke,
"There are many here among us who feel that life is but a joke.
But you and I, we've been through that, and this is not our fate,
So let us not talk falsely now, the hour is getting late."

All along the watchtower, princes kept the view
While all the women came and went, barefoot servants, too.

Outside in the distance a wildcat did growl,
Two riders were approaching, the wind began to howl.

>>>>>
cheers dude
i have no idea either who i am
someone one day will hand me a card letting me know

ATT  iphoners in nyc are a hopeless bunch
every one in a while they get full 3G service ..yay !!
right before that call get's dropped

peace dude
9
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #95 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Its rants like this that loose context of the situation. To some degree all of the mobile carriers have spotty coverage somewhere. No one has 100% coverage everywhere. In the past two and a half years I've had an iPhone I can only recall calling customer service once and I cannot really recall going into an AT&T store for anything in particular. I activated my two iPhones right in the Apple Store. I cannot really rate AT&T's customer service because I haven't really used it.

As far as the pricing structure, AT&T's is much the same as Verizon's. Most mobile phone users choose AT&T and Verizon. The only reason Sprint is so aggressive with its pricing is because its fighting for survival. You cannot compare AT&T's pricing to Sprint and say what AT&T is doing something ridiculous and absurd when its winning.

loose ??
lose
lost
dropped
calls
ATT is cingular with a new name

VERIZON inNYC is the 10,000 pound gorilla . signals that goes thru walls .even in moving subway cars

cingular is a baby chimp still building towers in nyc
changing there name did nothing about SKYSCRAPERS blocking signals . NYC is impossible to begin with
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #96 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

Wait, CR actually has 50k readers?!?! Umm, I just can't take a "survey" seriously when they poll their own readers especially when it's a magazine like CR. In other news 99% of MacWorld subscribers own Macs so obviously Windows is grossly over stating their market share /sarcasm/

Aside from exit polls surveys have become deeply flawed and erroneous. It's either randomly calling people which cut out a huge chunk of people just because they don't answers calls from people they don't know or it's online which also cuts out tons of people or, as in this case, they only poll people who subscribe to their magazine. I've never known anyone, ever, who actually got CR. Seriously, ever.

Yes, you have to understand the limitations of the surveys. And there are plenty of surveys like JD Power which have random samples and still rank Verizon the top and AT&T ranking near the bottom.

ChangeWave surveys saying that iphone has a 99% satisfaction rating --- but their survey is only on ChangeWave member --- uber-geeks.

Consumer Reports readers are a completely different animal --- they value best bang for the buck. These are the average Joes trying to find the best dishwashers. You have to remember that --- as a AppleInsider forum member --- you ain't the average Joe. You are part of the uber-geeks. You disagreeing with the average Joe (who is the basic Consumer Report subscriber) --- doesn't mean that their survey is flawed. The average Joe is going to look for value, quad-bundling, coverage issues...
post #97 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

A few explanations seem possible. Your location for the pic is in a building-dense area. Buildings more easily block the higher frequencies where 3G is provided but pass the lower frequency (850 MHz) where EDGE is provided. (AT&T is moving its 3G service more broadly to 850 MHz). Since you're also in a population dense area in the center of downtown Charlotte...

There isn't much building density in downtown Charlotte. The density exists along a strip that's only two blocks wide and those maps and buildings are outside the strip.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

using your iPhone during a peak period (lunch hour), the demand for cellular services may have caused AT&T to drop your service level from 3G to EDGE.

I get the same exact results at 5am when I go to the gym in the same spot. Occasional 3G, occasional No Service, lots of EDGE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

...you might have 3G disabled.

I do not ever disable 3G. I don't have the patience for EDGE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

BTW: being on EDGE does not constitute a service outage.

I realize that.

Charlotte is one of six cities that's supposed to be upgraded by the end of the year. But I think it's speed that has been promised and not necessarily coverage.
Emailing video from iPhone to Apple TV , sort of..
Reply
Emailing video from iPhone to Apple TV , sort of..
Reply
post #98 of 118
AT&T service here in Nashville is at best dodgy. It's very good at my house, but is substandard in many other local places, with dropped calls, almost no 3G, or it goes from 3G to Edge and back every minute or two.

I will wait and see how AT&T performs in Birmingham AL; I am relocating for a new job at the start of the year. If it is better there, I may stay with them. If not, I will return to t-Mobile. Despite their small size I always had good coverage. It seems they have coverage agreements with everyone, right down to the companies so far in middle of nowhere that the towers are steam-powered or something. Customer service was always first-rate. The only beef I ever had was with the very bad phone I had; I was a Motorola RAZR victim, er, owner.

[QUOTE=physics;1528580]
Quote:
Originally Posted by filburt View Post

In my experience in northern California, AT&T is probably 3rd worst carrier ...

But in terms of service, I think it is the worst. ...

--- snip ---

I find the in store service at T Mobile much better. The people there are much more pleasant to deal with and their products and services seem to be priced more reasonably. I'm going to check their bay are coverage map in the near future when I go to get a new cell phone.
A big heart is commendable, an enlarged heart is a medical condition.
Reply
A big heart is commendable, an enlarged heart is a medical condition.
Reply
post #99 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Being that it is giving Verizon number 1 in customer service, I can discount the survey. T-Mobile yes, Verizon never. Verizon is the worst company in terms of how much it rapes it's customers.

In another entry I refer to "going back to" t-Mobile. I TRIED to get a Verizon phone. When AT&T became Cingular, Cingular saw fit to make my pay-as-you-go AT&T phone virtually unusable. I was driving a pickup and trailer full of my belongings across AZ, NM, and TX in high summer, and did not want to be without a phone just in case. I pulled in to the Verizon store in Las Cruces NM, and asked for a phone, with a Nashville number, as this is where I was headed. "We can't do that." Why not? I can show proof of address. "That is out of our marketing area".

I walked over to the t-Mobile store. "I want a cell phone with a Nashville TN phone number". "Yes sir? And...?" "You can do it?" The answer was they'd fire up a phone for me, get a Las Cruces number, then call in and get it changed manually to a Nashville number. The entire visit - in the door to out with a Nashville-based phone - took less than 15 minutes.
A big heart is commendable, an enlarged heart is a medical condition.
Reply
A big heart is commendable, an enlarged heart is a medical condition.
Reply
post #100 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Friendly Grizzly View Post

In another entry I refer to "going back to" t-Mobile. I TRIED to get a Verizon phone. When AT&T became Cingular, Cingular saw fit to make my pay-as-you-go AT&T phone virtually unusable. I was driving a pickup and trailer full of my belongings across AZ, NM, and TX in high summer, and did not want to be without a phone just in case. I pulled in to the Verizon store in Las Cruces NM, and asked for a phone, with a Nashville number, as this is where I was headed. "We can't do that." Why not? I can show proof of address. "That is out of our marketing area".

I walked over to the t-Mobile store. "I want a cell phone with a Nashville TN phone number". "Yes sir? And...?" "You can do it?" The answer was they'd fire up a phone for me, get a Las Cruces number, then call in and get it changed manually to a Nashville number. The entire visit - in the door to out with a Nashville-based phone - took less than 15 minutes.

These people are paid by sales commissions --- they ain't going to spend the time and energy on a out-of-town pay-as-you-go customer, especially when there are tons of people waiting to sign 2 year contracts (that paid a lot of commissions).
post #101 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by samab View Post

These people are paid by sales commissions --- they ain't going to spend the time and energy on a out-of-town pay-as-you-go customer, especially when there are tons of people waiting to sign 2 year contracts (that paid a lot of commissions).

Is Verizon so busy that they want their employees to turn away customers that have an atypical request because there are "tons of people waiting to sign 2 year contracts? I can understand if you simply stated that Verizons policy is to only setup phones within the area code you are in as I can see some legitimate reasons for that policy, but to defend Verizon for having their employees to first serve customers who are willing to pay more is pretty outrageous.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #102 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by samab View Post

These people are paid by sales commissions --- they ain't going to spend the time and energy on a out-of-town pay-as-you-go customer, especially when there are tons of people waiting to sign 2 year contracts (that paid a lot of commissions).

And who said anything about buying another pay as you go? I was subscribing to a full-fledged two-year-contract service. The pay-as-you-go I had was a phone I bought when I needed a personal cell for occasional use, and did not want to use my employer-provided one.

Besides, had I been pursuing a PAYG phone and the salesman didn't want to spend the time, all he had to say was that they could not do an order like I wanted for a PAYG. But no, they were doing their best to keep the sales counter from rising into the air by having their elbow firmly planted on it and watching Montel.

The t-Mobile salesman accommodated my needs. The Verizon salesman did not.
A big heart is commendable, an enlarged heart is a medical condition.
Reply
A big heart is commendable, an enlarged heart is a medical condition.
Reply
post #103 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Is Verizon so busy that they want their employees to turn away customers that have an atypical request because there are "tons of people waiting to sign 2 year contracts? I can understand if you simply stated that Verizons policy is to only setup phones within the area code you are in as I can see some legitimate reasons for that policy, but to defend Verizon for having their employees to first serve customers who are willing to pay more is pretty outrageous.

verizon turns no one away
ever
verizon treat you fairly every time
verizon learned THAT the truth is the best way to keep a client
they simply after tens of millions of contracts almost exactly know what you want
you may get a jerk at times ..sorry
my rep from verizon explained to e how i can go from 3 lines bundled to one line
saving 160 a month
so i pay 185 for my biz line /which includes fast intenet stuff
70 bucks for my cell line also a major down grade
anyone who tells you that verizon ignores or pushes aside some one is a liar
verizon has 4 or 5 things to one day hook you on >> so every ear they get is a future possible payday

fine and dandly
EXCEPT VERIZON ARE THIEVES WHEN IT COMES TO THEIR PHONE BILLS
and the FIOS selling deal is a complete bait and switch trick type deal
you start at 89 a month and $150 before tax is the real price
yet their ads clearly state 89 a month
time warner rocks


9
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #104 of 118
AT&T made a statement about the CR report. While anecdotal evidence from surveys is far from being proof, if we assume that the surveys were done honestly then we can deduce that, at the very least, AT&T’s image sucks big hairy monkey balls.

Quote:
UPDATE: Reached for comment, AT&T had this to say about Consumer Reports’ findings, which, the company stressed, were based on anecdotal feedback from a self-selected group of subscribers: “We appreciate and value all customer feedback. We learn from it and it helps us serve our customers better. Without question the surest indication of customer satisfaction is churn, or turnover. For the last quarter, our postpaid churn was just 1.17 percent."

They do have a point about churn rates, but I’d label it as proof that customers are more willing to put up with your network, not that they are satisfied with your network and I’m certain that the iPhone is a very heavy counterbalance when it comes to considering jumping to another carrier.

PS: There needs to be some perspective here. Note that none of the carriers really scored well on the CR test. 75/100 with the lowest ranking carrier being only being 9 points lower yet the highest is still 25 points away from being at the top. Best doesn’t necessarily mean good.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #105 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep View Post

verizon turns no one away

fine and dandly
EXCEPT VERIZON ARE THIEVES WHEN IT COMES TO THEIR PHONE BILLS
9

My mother has Verizon landline service. No bill is ever the same, and lately they started with two lines of billing with odd letter/number codes. One item was about $4.50 the other about 5-something. Turns out this is some sort of third-party billing "arrangement" they entered into, and it does not provide any further service for the customer beyond the "servicing" they get by being charged for it.

Mom lives in one of these retirement communities with independent living, but a community newsletter and cable TV station. This billing was a topic on both. If you called Verizon and SPECIFICALLY contested it, they'd remove it from the bill, no questions asked. Very interesting, that...

It is this sort of thing, along with indifferent sales people, and an effort to surcharge me $50 (that is not a typo) to move my phone directory from one company phone to another, turns me right off of Verizon.
A big heart is commendable, an enlarged heart is a medical condition.
Reply
A big heart is commendable, an enlarged heart is a medical condition.
Reply
post #106 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Friendly Grizzly View Post

My mother has Verizon landline service. No bill is ever the same, and lately they started with two lines of billing with odd letter/number codes.

That is one thing I do like about AT&T, I have a consistent bill each month.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #107 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Friendly Grizzly View Post

My mother has Verizon landline service. No bill is ever the same, and lately they started with two lines of billing with odd letter/number codes. One item was about $4.50 the other about 5-something. Turns out this is some sort of third-party billing "arrangement" they entered into, and it does not provide any further service for the customer beyond the "servicing" they get by being charged for it.

Mom lives in one of these retirement communities with independent living, but a community newsletter and cable TV station. This billing was a topic on both. If you called Verizon and SPECIFICALLY contested it, they'd remove it from the bill, no questions asked. Very interesting, that...

It is this sort of thing, along with indifferent sales people, and an effort to surcharge me $50 (that is not a typo) to move my phone directory from one company phone to another, turns me right off of Verizon.

i hope your mom is doing ok now
sadly her story happens to all of us .
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #108 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep View Post

i hope your mom is doing ok now
sadly her story happens to all of us .

Thank you! Mom is fine! She hits the big 89 in a few days, and shows virtually no sign of slowing down. She's amazing!
A big heart is commendable, an enlarged heart is a medical condition.
Reply
A big heart is commendable, an enlarged heart is a medical condition.
Reply
post #109 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

There isn't much building density in downtown Charlotte. The density exists along a strip that's only two blocks wide and those maps and buildings are outside the strip.


I get the same exact results at 5am when I go to the gym in the same spot. Occasional 3G, occasional No Service, lots of EDGE.

The spot pinpointed in your pics is very near several large-ish buildings that I would not be at all surprised if they degrade the signal at that particular location. From my perusal of google maps, that spot is on the very edge (no pun intended) of the major down structures. The fact that you've found a spot where service is degraded and occasionally drops out doesn't say anything about the rest of downtown. Unfortunately, given the limited information and the fact that for the most part your service is only reduced to EDGE in this one spot, your experience would have to be classified as being "anecdotal" and not a satisfactory basis for saying AT&T's quality of service is poor. I really don't understand why you're complaining.
post #110 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep View Post

i have no idea either who i am

Oh, you listen to not the worst music ever. Even if someone calls you an a... --- what was that? well, you know what I mean --- you should always know you're a quite polished one.

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

Reply

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

Reply
post #111 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

oh, you listen to not the worst music ever. Even if someone calls you an a... --- what was that? Well, you know what i mean --- you should always know you're a quite polished one.

.....
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #112 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Friendly Grizzly View Post

Thank you! Mom is fine! She hits the big 89 in a few days, and shows virtually no sign of slowing down. She's amazing!

tell mama grizzly that she rocks !!
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #113 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by samab View Post

Yes, you have to understand the limitations of the surveys. And there are plenty of surveys like JD Power which have random samples and still rank Verizon the top and AT&T ranking near the bottom.

ChangeWave surveys saying that iphone has a 99% satisfaction rating --- but their survey is only on ChangeWave member --- uber-geeks.

Consumer Reports readers are a completely different animal --- they value best bang for the buck. These are the average Joes trying to find the best dishwashers. You have to remember that --- as a AppleInsider forum member --- you ain't the average Joe. You are part of the uber-geeks. You disagreeing with the average Joe (who is the basic Consumer Report subscriber) --- doesn't mean that their survey is flawed. The average Joe is going to look for value, quad-bundling, coverage issues...

Well when I said I never knew anyone who got CR I was being serious - I wasn't talking just about myself and my engineering co-workers. My parents (a teacher and a police officer), my friends (HR, Accounting, Sales, Business professionals), and my family (2 military members and 1 in college) give a pretty diverse set of people to poll from and they come from itty bitty towns to sprawling metro-plexes and yet none of them, as far as I know, have ever cared one bit about CR. Actually, I e-mailed a number of them to make sure I wasn't just totally off base and I didn't get 1 positive response other than my mom saying she used to look at it in the 80's and early 90's.

Basically, I don't think CR actually reaches the average Joe anymore. Now it's just about finding the penny pinchers and the people who like to say CR ranked them highest.
post #114 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Friendly Grizzly View Post

My mother has Verizon landline service. No bill is ever the same, and lately they started with two lines of billing with odd letter/number codes. One item was about $4.50 the other about 5-something. Turns out this is some sort of third-party billing "arrangement" they entered into, and it does not provide any further service for the customer beyond the "servicing" they get by being charged for it.

I had the same issue with AT&T when I moved and got a landline so I could get DSL.

I had to call AT&T and specifically instruct them to block all "third party services billing" on my account. And then call the two "services" that I had been billed for, and request refunds (which took 3 months to show on my AT&T bill).

I haven't had any issues again yet, but I do feel like the landline companies make it easy for scammers to try and make a quick dollar.
post #115 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

The spot pinpointed in your pics is very near several large-ish buildings that I would not be at all surprised if they degrade the signal at that particular location. From my perusal of google maps, that spot is on the very edge (no pun intended) of the major down structures. The fact that you've found a spot where service is degraded and occasionally drops out doesn't say anything about the rest of downtown. Unfortunately, given the limited information and the fact that for the most part your service is only reduced to EDGE in this one spot, your experience would have to be classified as being "anecdotal" and not a satisfactory basis for saying AT&T's quality of service is poor. I really don't understand why you're complaining.

I put those pictures in because I find it ironic that AT&T can't deliver 3G to customers within blocks of two of their buildings. Not being able to deliver 3G in a low density urban environment is far below my expectations and I seriously doubt I'm alone on that.

I didn't say it was that one spot. And as I mentioned I don't even get EDGE in several buildings around that same spot, I get No Service on a regular basis. In all honesty I think you're just being somewhat contrary, and I don't really know why. If 3G isn't really functional in urban areas the maps should reflect that. They don't.

And yes, I will definitely complain about AT&T coverage. Their maps are grossly misleading in many areas of Charlotte.

I'd like to know why 3G comes and goes at 5am inside my gym. It's there sometimes, so the signal can definitely penetrate the building. Many times as soon as I start consuming data it drops to EDGE and sometimes on to No Service. By my reasoning at 5am in a place the signal CAN penetrate but isn't always available there is a clear lack of capacity. In my opinion the service is not what it should be. Clearly I'm not alone.
Emailing video from iPhone to Apple TV , sort of..
Reply
Emailing video from iPhone to Apple TV , sort of..
Reply
post #116 of 118
I have had some terrible experiences with just about all Wireless Carriers in the US.

When I was with Verizon, I lowered my plan to $20 per month expecting to save some money on their cancellation fees as I purchase an iPhone and a plan with AT&T before my Verizon account expired. They had recommended this move to save me some money, and I thought that was great. Little did I know, all of those account changes resulted in 2 or 3 more months of bills than I expected. I ended up having to pay the cancellation fee of $175, even though I had been told by multiple Verizon employees these changes would not affect my plan, and it would expire on the original date. I was so happy to be free from Verizon, and figured, AT&T could never be worse than what I had to deal with as a Verizon customer. Boy was I wrong.

I had been a happy AT&T customer for a year and a half, fully enjoying my experience with a new iPhone 2G. I had waited well past the iPhone 3G launch date to get the next latest and greatest iPhone 3GS. AT&T and Apple both offered pre-orders for the phone. I couldn't wait, so I placed the order. Little did I know, I was not logged in with my AT&T account while placing this order, so I accidentally ordered a new line of service. This was not what I wanted, so I called AT&T and asked them to cancel this pre-order so I could place another on my current line/account. I was told that I could not cancel this order, and I would just have to simply refuse shipment on the device, and I would be refunded. So I went ahead and placed another order, this time, logged in with my AT&T account. A few days before the expected shipment date, I called AT&T and asked the procedure for refusing shipment and/or returning unwanted packages. My concern was that if I was not home to refuse shipment, what could I do to avoid being stuck with this phone. A very nice gentleman assured me that I could just take the return label included with the package and place it outside the same box it arrived in, and drop it off a the Post Office. I told him I wouldn't activate this phone, and I asked him to assure me that I would never be charged for this new unwanted phone and account, and at the very worst, never be charged to cancel that line. He told me he would "notate" my account as to not charge me a single bill for this unwanted phone. The phone came, along with the one I did want, but I was not there to refuse shipment on the package. I followed the instructions I was given, and took the return label placed it on the package and dropped it off at the Post Office. Meanwhile, I was charged the $299 for the unwanted phone, and another $299 for the phone I did want. I was told that within 30 days of AT&T receiving the package I was returning, I would be credited that $299 minus a restocking fee. I didn't care about that $20 for restocking, but I did care about the remaining $279 and the fact that I didn't want to be charged at all for the new line and account I mistakenly created.

About 20-30 days later I called AT&T to find out why I had not been credited that $279. They told me they had not received the package. I explained the instruction I had been given to place the return label on the package and drop it off at the Post Office. She told me that AT&T never includes return labels with their shipments, and she had no idea what label I placed on the package. I then had her assure me that I would not be charged anything further for this phone/line/account even if they end up never receiving the return package. She did. I was a bit relieved, but still irritated by the fact that I just lost out on $279 all because they couldn't cancel an order I never wanted in the first place. A few days later, a $300 bill arrived from AT&T and I figured it was my normal bill, slightly inflated for the new phone activation I had gone through with the 3GS that I ordered "correctly". The next day, another $250 bill arrived. Two weeks later another $199 bill arrived. I was being billed for that phone/line/account I had ordered by mistake, so I called to complain and referred to the notation the gentleman placed on my account - to not charge me. The Customer Service Rep told me that there wasn't a notation on the account, and I would have to pay the cancellation fee to rid myself of the account, and that I was stuck paying the $500 in bills that had already arrived. I fought and fought, and contemplated hiring a lawyer to fight all of this - all AT&T had to do was honor my original request to cancel an order I had placed in error. Now I know why they wouldn't cancel that order. They knew I would screw up with the refusing shipment/faux return label they include with their shipments, and I would end up owing them another $1000. I ended up paying all of those charges and am very sad to say that the iPhone 3GS ended up costing me close to $2000. The Post Office still to this day has no record of any package being dropped off there with a label with my name on it (still fighting them), and AT&T through various letters, emails, and calls, would never refund me that money.

Needless to say, AT&T genuinely is the absolute worst in Customer Service/Satisfaction, and after my current contract is up I will never, NEVER use their service again for anything...
post #117 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

The spot pinpointed in your pics is very near several large-ish buildings that I would not be at all surprised if they degrade the signal at that particular location. From my perusal of google maps, that spot is on the very edge (no pun intended) of the major down structures. The fact that you've found a spot where service is degraded and occasionally drops out doesn't say anything about the rest of downtown. Unfortunately, given the limited information and the fact that for the most part your service is only reduced to EDGE in this one spot, your experience would have to be classified as being "anecdotal" and not a satisfactory basis for saying AT&T's quality of service is poor. I really don't understand why you're complaining.

You might find this interesting: The EXACT spot I detailed in those photos is the spot where AT&T is deploying its free Wifi Hotzone as reported today. How about that??

http://murphymac.com/att-takes-care-of-charlotte-again/
Emailing video from iPhone to Apple TV , sort of..
Reply
Emailing video from iPhone to Apple TV , sort of..
Reply
post #118 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by samab View Post

Yes, you have to understand the limitations of the surveys. And there are plenty of surveys like JD Power which have random samples and still rank Verizon the top and AT&T ranking near the bottom.

ChangeWave surveys saying that iphone has a 99% satisfaction rating --- but their survey is only on ChangeWave member --- uber-geeks.

Consumer Reports readers are a completely different animal --- they value best bang for the buck. These are the average Joes trying to find the best dishwashers. You have to remember that --- as a AppleInsider forum member --- you ain't the average Joe. You are part of the uber-geeks. You disagreeing with the average Joe (who is the basic Consumer Report subscriber) --- doesn't mean that their survey is flawed. The average Joe is going to look for value, quad-bundling, coverage issues...

POINT WELL TAKEN!!
Their survey is most likely on the money as far as being NON SPONSORED, RANDOM,
and PROPORTIONATE. They are polling average people, that answer the questions based on their personal experience. Remember their name is CONSUMER reports and is based on the CONSUMERS experience.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › AT&T ranks last in Consumer Reports mobile service survey