or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple tablet rumored to be 'shockingly' inexpensive

Apple tablet rumored to be 'shockingly' inexpensive

post #1 of 108
Internet and television personality Alex Albrecht claimed to have insight on the price of Apple's rumored tablet during the latest episode of Diggnation, which also featured actor John Hodgman from Apple's "Get a Mac" commercials.

During the course of episode 231 of the Internet-based show, co-host and Web entrepreneur Kevin Rose asked Hodgman, who plays the bumbling "PC" in Apple's commercials, if he has any inside information on the tablet.

"I don't know anything about it," Hodgman said. "You think they'd tell me?"

Rose then turned his attention to Albrecht, and insinuated that the co-host had privately revealed supposed information on Apple's long-rumored touchscreen device. After pestering from Rose, Albrecht eventually conceded: "I was shocked at how cheap the price point is going to be." He declined to reveal anything further.

While Hodgman did not have any insight on the tablet or future Apple products, the author did reveal that he was given an iPod and a MacBook Pro "on the first round" of commercials he did for Apple. He used his own MacBook Air for the duration of the episode.

"I would support them any old day," said Hodgman, a self-professed Mac fan.

Typically it is Rose who reveals Apple-related rumors on Diggnation, with varying degrees of accuracy. In 2008, Rose revealed a leaked photo of the fourth-generation iPod nano in advance, though his iPhone-related leaks have been hit or miss.

The episode featuring Hodgman, queued to the segment discussing the tablet, is included, courtesy of Revision3 (language potentially not safe for work):

Price predictions for the tablet have been all over the map. Some feel it will be priced low, around $500, to compete with the low-cost netbook market. Others have predicted its price would be comparable to a MacBook at around $1,000. Another recent rumor placed a supposed OLED screen equipped version of the hardware at $2,000 retail.

In other tablet news, a new survey of booksellers released Wednesday has found that industry officials expect Apple's tablet to boost the electronic book market significantly. In fact, most said they expect the still-unseen device to be the top-selling e-reader.

As part of its digital conference held Wednesday in London, The Bookseller revealed the results of its survey of more than 1,000 trade book professionals. Among them, 52 percent said they believe that Apple will emerge victorious with its tablet, with Amazon's Kindle coming in second, and Sony a "distant" third.

In addition, 42 percent of industry members said they believe "most" people will read e-books on a dedicated device in the future. More than 88 percent of respondents said they believe bookshops will lose out as digital sales grow.

In recent months, rumors have persisted that Apple will portray the multifunction device as a high-quality e-reader. Anonymous industry officials have claimed that the Cupertino, Calif., company has contacted numerous print publications about the forthcoming device.

Sources have told AppleInsider that the tablet will be introduced in the first quarter of 2010. It is expected to have a 10-inch touchscreen and 3G connectivity.
post #2 of 108
In other words: nobody knows anything about anything.
post #3 of 108
And that depends on whose defintion of "'shockingly' inexpensive" is being used?
Hopefully not Apple's.
The Cupertino California Company thinks the white MacBook is inexpensive.
They think a $5 discount off a $70 mouse is a great Black Friday deal.
post #4 of 108
Everyone knows the nook is gonna beat out Sony in a month anyway. This totally destroys the credibility of this article!!!
post #5 of 108
Clearly it isn't "Apple's definition", any half-brain wit can see that the guy sitting there isn't "Apple", ffs.
post #6 of 108
Did they seriously think Hodgman would have any inside information? Wow.

I used to work for an Apple dealer and customers would ask me all the time if I knew about the new Macs coming out. Yeah sure, the press has no idea, but employees of a third party Apple retailer have all the inside information.
post #7 of 108
Hooray! More tablet rumors!!!

Hmmm... Shockingly inexpensive? Anything that looks more "inexpensive" than I expect, or especially "shockingly" so, makes me wonder, "What's wrong with it?" or, "What are they not telling me?". Ex.: the "Laptop Hunter" ad campaign, where "Lauren" found a 17" laptop for under $1000. Need I point out all the things that were wrong with that laptop (not to mention the inanity [NOT "insanity"well, perhaps insanity too] of the whole ad campaign)?
"Don't be a dick!"Wil Wheaton
"Don't be a dick!"Wil Wheaton
post #8 of 108
I'll be shocked it is not shockingly expensive. It'll be a game-changer - huge demand. constrained supply - we've been down this road a few times now.
post #9 of 108
"It's ONLY $999 ladies and gentlemen! What a price! BOOM! How awesome is that! We got this 10 inch device to sell for UNDER 1000 DOLLARS!. How shockingly inexpensive! Every one and the dog will be able to afford one now!---ships in 6 months!"

--Steve Jobs, circa 2010
post #10 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisTheXIV View Post

"It's ONLY $999 ladies and gentlemen! What a price! BOOM! How awesome is that! We got this 10 inch device to sell for UNDER 1000 DOLLARS!. How shockingly inexpensive! Every one and the dog will be able to afford one now!---ships in 6 months!"

--Steve Jobs, circa 2010

Perfect BS- as if directly from the master's lips.
post #11 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

And that depends on whose defintion of "'shockingly' inexpensive" is being used?
Hopefully not Apple's.
The Cupertino California Company thinks the white MacBook is inexpensive.
They think a $5 discount off a $70 mouse is a great Black Friday deal.

No joke!!!!! Black Friday Sale!!!!!!!!!!!!! Save 3%. Big deal. Mac Mall I get 15% plus free software.
post #12 of 108
If it is $500 and there is some game changing feature I may get it but, with an iPhone, Netbook and iMac, I dont see where it fits in.
post #13 of 108
If you watched the rest of the video they were making fun of his "rumor" the entire time, including hodg saying something about "i know the date of your death" and it was "shocking" pretty funny.
post #14 of 108
I just wish it won't require data plan from a wireless carrier. If it is $999 or less without the data plan, and it's at least half as good as I hope it would be, it's an automatic buy for me. If it's $499 or less with $60/month data plan, I would have to pass.
post #15 of 108
So to sum up... the tablet will cost somewhere between "shockingly inexpensive" and $2000. Good to know.
post #16 of 108
when you're being fed $2,000 price point rumors, the actual price at introduction will be shockingly inexpensive.

once again, WHEN will apple change the name of their "iTunes" software to something more relevant?
the software is a storefront for music, movies, tv shows, podcasts, audiobooks, apps, and soon books and magazines.
post #17 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by desarc View Post

once again, WHEN will apple change the name of their "iTunes" software to something more relevant?
the software is a storefront for music, movies, tv shows, podcasts, audiobooks, apps, and soon books and magazines.

How about iStore or iWhore? You decide.
post #18 of 108
I wonder if $800 for the device but $500 if you get through AT&T (or T-Mo) with a broadband contract is not more likely.

I can see this device have two distinct user groups: people that want cellular coverage and people that don’t want it or are happy with just WiFi.

If they make the card removable, like the first AirPort Cards, they may be able to have a GSM/3GSM card and a CDMA/CDMA2000 card for different networks.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #19 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisTheXIV View Post

--Steve Jobs, circa 2010

Only the other Steve can pull something like that off:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGvHNNOLnCk
post #20 of 108
One thing is for sure though, I'M 95% sure that the reason this thing hasn't been release it's cause it will run a all new iPhone OS, a iPhone OS with Multitasking.
post #21 of 108
I don't know how shockingly cheap it is going to be, but I am willing to shell out as mush as $600 on one (depending on the functionality). I have a iPhone 3G, 13" and 15" macbook pro, so I hope it doesn't have the same functionality as the iPhone because it would be pointless to get that. I just bought a netbook as a christmas gift for someone and it took an hour and a half to set up. I don't know what the hoopla is about these things. I know people mention size and weight, but my 13" macbook pro is about twice as heavy as the netbook and has much better hardware.
post #22 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by eehd View Post

I don't know how shockingly cheap it is going to be, but I am willing to shell out as mush as $600 on one (depending on the functionality). I have a iPhone 3G, 13" and 15" macbook pro, so I hope it doesn't have the same functionality as the iPhone because it would be pointless to get that. I just bought a netbook as a christmas gift for someone and it took an hour and a half to set up. I don't know what the hoopla is about these things. I know people mention size and weight, but my 13" macbook pro is about twice as heavy as the netbook and has much better hardware.

And cost 3 times as much.
post #23 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by desarc View Post

Once again, you never remove the well known aspect of a product name when it is working for you. That is suicide. Full rebranding is done when the product fails.

Its a product name, not a dictionary word. Coke didnt change their name when they stopped using cocaine in their product. McDonalds didnt change their name to Krocs when Ray Kroc bought out the McDonald brothers restaurants back in 1955. The list goes on..

PS: You can tune up a car engine, or tune in a radio or TV station. There are more uses for the word tune that simply melody or song.
post #24 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraklinc View Post

One thing is for sure though, I'M 95% sure that the reason this thing hasn't been release it's cause it will run a all new iPhone OS, a iPhone OS with Multitasking.

Im pretty sure it wont run iPhone OS or Mac OS, but a new version of OS X that is hybrid mix of the necessary components and frameworks of iPhone and Mac OSes with a UI designed for finger-based input on a 10 tablet. Neither of Apples currently released OSes fit that build.
post #25 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Once again, you never remove the well known aspect of a product name when it is working for you. That is suicide. Full rebranding is done when the product fails.

It’s a product name, not a dictionary word. Coke didn’t change their name when they stopped using cocaine in their product. McDonald’s didn’t change their name to Kroc’s when Ray Kroc bought out the McDonald brothers’ restaurants back in 1955. The list goes on..

PS: You can tune up a car engine, or tune in a radio or TV station. There are more uses for the word “tune” that simply melody or song.

Right- and that's why Apple Computer Inc changed their name to Apple Inc.

They were so failing two years ago.

Again, your know-it-all logic fails.
post #26 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr1882 View Post

If it is $500 and there is some game changing feature I may get it but, with an iPhone, Netbook and iMac, I dont see where it fits in.

Uh, what?

You kinda said it yourself in your own comment.
I'll give you a hint " ... iPhone, Netbook and iMac ..."

It will be a better Netbook than the Netbook, just like the iPhone is a better PDA than the PDA's that were around just before it came out.
post #27 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamIIGS View Post

If you watched the rest of the video they were making fun of his "rumor" the entire time, including hodg saying something about "i know the date of your death" and it was "shocking" pretty funny.

Good point. My own belief is that people are spending so much time picturing a tablet with the Highest Speculated Feature Set coupled with the Lowest Price Mentioned Anywhere, that whatever actually materializes, they'll feel ripped off and disappointed.
post #28 of 108
Quote:

Right- and that's why Apple Computer Inc changed their name to Apple Inc.

They were so failing two years ago.

Again, your know-it-all logic fails.

The irony is delicious here. Removing the word "Computer" isn't rebranding. Its like Coca-Cola adding the word Classic after the failed Pepsi-copy debacle of 1985
post #29 of 108
It will be $299 with a $30/month data plan from AT&T.

AT&T will also reduce the iPhone data plan rate to $20/month for customers who have voice service at $59/mo or higher level.

If you have both iPhone and the tablet, discounted service plan for both devices combined will be $40/month.
post #30 of 108
how about shockingly one less device and let me just plug my IPhone into it already. Disappear into the slot baby...
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
post #31 of 108
I'll take a good old hardback book any day over anyone of these e-readers.
post #32 of 108
Quote:

Im pretty sure it wont run iPhone OS or Mac OS, but a new version of OS X that is hybrid mix of the necessary components and frameworks of iPhone and Mac OSes with a UI designed for finger-based input on a 10 tablet. Neither of Apples currently released OSes fit that build.

I can't think of anything that the iPhone OS can't do that would be necessary to do on a tablet. It already multi-tasks, already has ink etc.
post #33 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

The irony is delicious here. Removing the word "Computer" isn't rebranding. Its like Coca-Cola adding the word Classic after the failed Pepsi-copy debacle of 1985

Well then it should be iTunesMega or something else then but the current name is inadequate as the poster suggested. And I hardly think "iTunes" ranks with either Coca-Copla or Pepsi as a name brand enough to be dropped or completely changed.
post #34 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I can't think of anything that the iPhone OS can't do that would be necessary to do on a tablet. It already multi-tasks, already has ink etc.

HOw many combinations of muti-tasking does it do- ONE or TWO?
How many non-censored Apple vendor applications does it accept?

Why can't I browse the web and open and answer a simple text message simulataneously?
post #35 of 108
Quote:

You may end up being right, but it seems a problematic solution. It seems to risk balkanizing OS X. Three distinct platforms you'd need to learn and target? Of course, the other solutions mentioned have their own difficulties, too. You might expand iPhone OS (most likely solution, IMO). But it needs to be retooled to be able to cope with the current full-screen model so that you can alternatively use windows. Mac OS is unlikely. A hybrid model? we'll see.
post #36 of 108
Quote:

How about iStore or iWhore? You decide.

How about "iInDebt"? or "iOweSteve"?

An inexpensive Apple Tablet... I'm SHOCKED!

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

post #37 of 108
I hope it will have some sort of pcmi slot on the uperside. This way we can add cards for IR and Wireless remote control devices in there.

My first coming buy will be that tablet named iDo and the next will be one of those cards.

Then I will build my own remote control for domotion and tv/audio control.
post #38 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

He failed to read "well known aspect of a product name” and “full rebranding”. How can someone be that bad at reading? He probably thinks calling it “Computer” is equivalent, from a marketing standpoint, to calling it “Apple”, which people did well before the dropping the ending. Madonna didn’t change her new name to Ciccone and Prince didn’t change his name to Nelson, they parts that were good for marketing.

PS: I know people that refer to Macs as Apples, but I’d rather hear that referring to a PC as CPU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

It doesn’t have a keyboard designed for two hands. It doesn’t have a UI for a 10” display. It doesn’t have a Finder-like app. It doesn’t have the ability to use multiple apps at once on the same screen like on a Mac. It doesn’t have a virtual way to switch through apps like the Dock on a Mac. It doesn’t have any USB ports for peripherals like physical keyboards, mice or optical drives. (okay, it might not get this last one)

The biggest thing is having a UI that is designed for 10” display. That is not the same as expanding the iPhone display from 3.5” to 10”, but a display designed specifically for a finger-based multitouch 10” tablet. Look at WinMo or any netbook to see how trying to use a desktop OS layout on a smaller device fails. UIs have to be designed for you I/O. IMO, this is one of the key reasons why the iPhone platform is so successful.
post #39 of 108
Quote:

He failed to read "well known aspect of a product name and full rebranding He probably thinks calling it Computer is equivalent to calling it Apple, which people did well before the dropping of Computer.

You fail all the time and never admit it. Who refers to their videos bought on iTunes as "tunes". Or books, or podcasts or etc. Only a fool would do that.
post #40 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by eehd View Post

I dont' get the point you are trying to make here. You mean your macbook that cost 1100 bucks is better than a 300 dollar netbook? Thanks for the insight.

I stronlgyl believe this tablet will cost 899 or 999. Part of why snow leopard was just a small update is because they've been working hard on the OS for this device.

If this camera will let me unload photos from my camera onto it than i'm all over it.

I hope its more functional than the iphone. Not knocking the iphone as I think its perfect. But a larger more expensive device should have more flexibility.
You Can Say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one

------- John Lennon
You Can Say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one

------- John Lennon
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple tablet rumored to be 'shockingly' inexpensive