or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple predicted to offer 300,000 iPhone apps, tablet in 2010
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple predicted to offer 300,000 iPhone apps, tablet in 2010

post #1 of 90
Thread Starter 
Research firm IDC believes the iPhone App Store will reach the 300,000 landmark in 2010, and more than 1 billion total mobile devices will access the Internet. The company has also offered its predictions on the Apple tablet.

Just one year ago, the App Store had roughly 10,000 applications. In November, Apple announced that it had reached the 100,000 milestone less than a year and a half after its debut.

"That's an annual growth rate of 900%," IDC said. "As a point of comparison, there are on the order of 10,000 Windows PC applications listed on Microsoft's Windows 7 compatibility Web site. We predict at least 300,000 iPhone applications by the end of 2010, many of the new apps coming from well-known Global 2000 business and consumer brands -- and attracting more consumers and businesspeople to these platforms as their most commonly and heavily used clients."

IDC also believes mobile devices connected to the Internet will nearly eclipse that of total worldwide PCs in 2010. There are currently 1.3 billion PCs accessing the Internet, but smartphones are growing at a rate 2.5 times faster than PCs.

"It will be a watershed year for the ascension of mobile devices: For the first time, over 1 billion such devices will access the Internet," IDC Chief Analyst Frank Gens said in a video that accompanied the report. "Smartphones will become strategic platforms for commercial and enterprise developers, with the number of iPhone apps tripling, and Android apps quintupling. And we expect to finally see Apple introduce the 'iPad.'"

Last year, IDC predicted that the Apple tablet would not appear in 2009. But now the firm believes that 2010 will be the year of the tablet, with a 8- to 10-inch touchscreen device released by Apple before year's end that will be more iPod touch than Mac.

The device will be used for watching movies, playing games, surfing the Web, and reading newspapers, magazines and books. Because of the multifunction capabilities of the device, Gens told The New York Times that the still-unseen Apple tablet "could deliver a real kick in Kindle's butt."

The firm also suggested Apple could handle data plans for the device through the iTunes store.

"One big question for 2010 is which way Apple will go with 3G connectivity for the iPad -- private labeling a wireless carrier's network as 'AppleNet' or simply merchandising carriers' wireless subscriptions through the iTunes store," the report said.

IDC also expects Apple's rival to the north, Microsoft, to formally introduce its own touchscreen device, code-named "Courier." Extensive pictures and details of the likely still-in-development hardware were leaked in September, though the company has not confirmed their authenticity.
post #2 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"That's an annual growth rate of 900%," IDC said. "As a point of comparison, there are on the order of 10,000 Windows PC applications listed on Microsoft's Windows 7 compatibility Web site. We predict at least 300,000 iPhone applications by the end of 2010...

*needle scratching vinyl disc*

Not if it takes TWO FUCKING MONTHS to approve a simple app!
post #3 of 90
Well, I'm disappointed. I don't want a 10-inch iPod touch. I already have an iPhone for that crap. I wonder what effect an "iPad" would have on future iPhone sales. For example, if I can stay with Verizon and keep a "simple" BlackBerry that's functional for work and personal life AND buy an "iPad" for all the other functions an iPhone offers - what's stopping me? In other words, will Apple risk losing a segment of the market that wants to switch to an iPhone but hates AT&T?

But what the hell am I saying... I'll probably be a first adopter of this "iPad."
post #4 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by kim kap sol View Post

*needle scratching vinyl disc*

Not if it takes TWO FUCKING MONTHS to approve a simple app!

Daily app submissions often touch 1000 with the highest being 1400 apps approved on a single day!.

So doesnt seem too high a target to me. Am happy to be an iPhone Developer ... :
LotOfWallpapers.com | Only the best wallpapers.
Reply
LotOfWallpapers.com | Only the best wallpapers.
Reply
post #5 of 90
3 plainly obvious "predictions".
Help kill Adobe's Flash. Complain to websites using it. Join YouTube's HTML5 beta (http://www.youtube.com/html5)
Reply
Help kill Adobe's Flash. Complain to websites using it. Join YouTube's HTML5 beta (http://www.youtube.com/html5)
Reply
post #6 of 90
The Apple iTablet must also run Mac applications. It must be a touch Mac.
post #7 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... IDC also expects ... Microsoft, to formally introduce its own touchscreen device, code-named "Courier." Extensive pictures and details of the likely still-in-development hardware were leaked in September, ...

This is a complete misrepresentation of the facts.

What we saw in September was a concept video, and a very clunky, very early pre-prototype of the concept. This is not a "likely ... in development" device. This is in the concept stage. In the design world, there is a big difference between those two things.
post #8 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by zunx View Post

The Apple iTablet must also run Mac applications. It must be a touch Mac.

So you say, ... on every single thread for months now.
post #9 of 90
300,000 apps eh? The store is getting more and more congested and there must be a better way to organize and get exposure to the smaller developers.
post #10 of 90
It will be a watershed year for the ascension of mobile devices

Take a bow, Apple!
post #11 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by zunx View Post

The Apple iTablet must also run Mac applications. It must be a touch Mac.

It'll be what it'll be. And it'll be amazing. You'll want one and so will everyone else. Rest assured.
post #12 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by kim kap sol View Post

... Not if it takes TWO FUCKING MONTHS to approve a simple app!

It may have taken months to approve one app or another, from time to time, but the average approval time is far far less. That's the only thing that counts.
post #13 of 90
Most of these are games and useless Widgets (fart, double fart).
Next.

Wake me up when we're discussing real apps.
post #14 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

It'll be what it'll be. And it'll be amazing. You'll want one and so will everyone else. Rest assured.

Isn't that what we also heard about the MacBook Air and the AppleTV?
I'll believe it when I see it. An $999 app tablet ain't gonna cut it.
post #15 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

This is a complete misrepresentation of the facts.

What we saw in September was a concept video, and a very clunky, very early pre-prototype of the concept. This is not a "likely ... in development" device. This is in the concept stage. In the design world, there is a big difference between those two things.

Exactly. That "Courier" thing was a CGI rendering of a concept, and just more noise from Redmond designed to steal others' thunder. It's not even a prototype yet, and I doubt it'll ever see the light of day. You might as well call the Starship Enterprise "in development" based on the same logic.
My Android phone is the worst phone I've ever owned.
Reply
My Android phone is the worst phone I've ever owned.
Reply
post #16 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Isn't that what we also heard about the MacBook Air and the AppleTV?

No. Where did YOU hear that?
My Android phone is the worst phone I've ever owned.
Reply
My Android phone is the worst phone I've ever owned.
Reply
post #17 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliphord View Post

Well, I'm disappointed. I don't want a 10-inch iPod touch. I already have an iPhone for that crap. I wonder what effect an "iPad" would have on future iPhone sales. For example, if I can stay with Verizon and keep a "simple" BlackBerry that's functional for work and personal life AND buy an "iPad" for all the other functions an iPhone offers - what's stopping me? In other words, will Apple risk losing a segment of the market that wants to switch to an iPhone but hates AT&T?

But what the hell am I saying... I'll probably be a first adopter of this "iPad."

It will be interesting...to see how it fits. I have a 3GS and would consider the Tablet over getting a MBA. But like you, who knows, I probably end up with both!
post #18 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliphord View Post

Well, I'm disappointed. I don't want a 10-inch iPod touch.

Nor do I. I don't have ten-inch pockets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliphord View Post

I already have an iPhone for that crap.

So do I, but for me the solution isn't a 10" tablet running OS X. If you have to sit down, or if it requires both hands, it isn't mobile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zunx View Post

The Apple iTablet must also run Mac applications. It must be a touch Mac.

Right, because that's the paradigm that drove the iPhone/iPod Touch success. Full OS tablets are failures except in niches. Apple realized this and designed the best mobile OS yet. They will do the same for the iWhateverit'scalled.
post #19 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

It will be a watershed year for the ascension of mobile devices

Take a bow, Apple!

Well said, Quadra!

Man oh Man, if a business doesn't have an iPhone App or at the very minimum a website configured for the iPhone they are truly missing the boat in big way!
post #20 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Extensive pictures and details of the likely still-in-development hardware were leaked in September, though the company has not confirmed their authenticity.

Pictures are not made in photoshop.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #21 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by kim kap sol View Post

*needle scratching vinyl disc*

Not if it takes TWO FUCKING MONTHS to approve a simple app!

Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #22 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

So you say, ... on every single thread for months now.

And he's right.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #23 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

And he's right.

How exactly would you know?
post #24 of 90
There comes a point where the number of apps you have to offer is no longer a selling point. I think 100,000 is definitely that number. Whether its 100 or 900 thousand, customers do not care. The only thing that matters to customers is how a particular, that THEY come across, strikes them.

An app needs to look like an epiphany. Its name should include its purpose, the solution to the problem it solves. The customer should be able to assume this from the icon and the name. From there, the app should live up to all of its expectations, or it shouldn't exist.

Quality > Quantity. Anyone with an iPhone or iPod touch makes that same determination within hours of owning one.
post #25 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

There comes a point where the number of apps you have to offer is no longer a selling point. I think 100,000 is definitely that number. Whether its 100 or 900 thousand, customers do not care. The only thing that matters to customers is how a particular, that THEY come across, strikes them.

An app needs to look like an epiphany. Its name should include its purpose, the solution to the problem it solves. The customer should be able to assume this from the icon and the name. From there, the app should live up to all of its expectations, or it shouldn't exist.

Quality > Quantity. Anyone with an iPhone or iPod touch makes that same determination within hours of owning one.

Exactly! How many of these crap apps do we ignore at the getgo and not even bother to examine? And how many potentially useful apps have been rejected by the Apple censorship board for whatever reason?
post #26 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Isn't that what we also heard about the MacBook Air and the AppleTV?
I'll believe it when I see it. An $999 app tablet ain't gonna cut it.

No. No one ever thought, let alone said that. That MacBook Air was never a netbook, or a lite-notebook, it was a design prototype that they decided to sell. It introduced lots of concepts to the Mac notebook line that were eventually carried into the rest of them. It still exists for the few people that want something lighter than the rest.

AppleTV exists for the Apple users who have run out of products to purchase and would prefer to use Front Row on their living room TV, than other movie playing options. Niche product.

The tablet will not cost a thousand dollars. It will not retail for more than $600. If it does, it should never even be introduced.
post #27 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

How exactly would you know?

I take comfort in the knowledge that Apple pays absolutely no attention to blatherings of wannabe marketing experts who seek to dictate what features and options an Apple product must have to succeed. Thank god for that.
post #28 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

And he's right.

Well we'll see very soon now anyway.

I would point out that almost all the rumours and analysis of the purported tablet comes down on the side of it *not* being able to run Mac OS-X "desktop" apps or have a UI anything like a desktop and instead point to it using the iPhone UI and running essentially beefed up iPhone apps.

Also, my main reason for responding is just that it's tiresome to hear that same statement repeated over and over again, without foundation, without argument, and seemingly by rote.

It's the sign of a closed mind to not consider other possibilities, to never admit that one might be wrong, and to not seriously re-examine what your base assumptions from time to time.
post #29 of 90
Does anything actually cause an app to be no longer available? Is it a case that in 5 years time the same fart machine is still going to be there while the 2000th duplicate gets added to the list?

Or if the developer doesn't keep paying there $99 a year does it get removed. In which case at some point arnt we going to see the number of apps potentially go down rather than up. We all know while there are a lot of people making a lot of money there's a lot more who make an app and then it only gets downloaded 6 times. Surly at some point we're going to see people subscriptions start running out and not being renewed due to the developer being completely unsuccessful, in which case the number of apps would start to go down.
post #30 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

The tablet will not cost a thousand dollars. It will not retail for more than $600. If it does, it should never even be introduced.

Really? My iphone cost $700 and can barely multi-task (that is if you even consider listening to music an actual task).
So all that for $600- interesting. Read and edit pdfs- spreadsheets, wordprocessing etc? Print drivers- everything?
post #31 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

AppleTV exists for the Apple users who have run out of products to purchase and would prefer to use Front Row on their living room TV, than other movie playing options. Niche product.
.

You got that right- Apple users only. Too bad- Apple really lost the living room- big time.
3 years and Meh.
post #32 of 90
So true about bad apps.

Where I work there are about 20 employees, 15 have the iPhone.
If you would put all our apps together, 75% would be the same and the total would be less then 100 different apps I figure.

So out of 100000 apps. About 100 are used here.

This is not scientific or anything, but still. Alot of apps are just useless.

If it doesn't exist, they should implement some kind of prescription service for devs. Pay each month, you stay.
If you don't pay, You are out.

If you downloaded an app that got canceled, it would still be on your phone but it would be gone from the Appstore.

My 0.02
post #33 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwee View Post

So true about bad apps.

Where I work there are about 20 employees, 15 have the iPhone.
If you would put all our apps together, 75% would be the same and the total would be less then 100 different apps I figure.

So out of 100000 apps. About 100 are used here.

This is not scientific or anything but still. Alot of apps are just useless.

If it doesn't exist, they should implement some kind of prescription service for devs. Pay each month, you stay.
If you don't pay, You are out.

If you downloaded an app, it would still be on your phone but it would be gone from the Appstore.

My 0.02

Quality not Quantity. That's always been my motto.
post #34 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliphord View Post

Well, I'm disappointed. I don't want a 10-inch iPod touch. I already have an iPhone for that crap. I wonder what effect an "iPad" would have on future iPhone sales. For example, if I can stay with Verizon and keep a "simple" BlackBerry that's functional for work and personal life AND buy an "iPad" for all the other functions an iPhone offers - what's stopping me? In other words, will Apple risk losing a segment of the market that wants to switch to an iPhone but hates AT&T?

But what the hell am I saying... I'll probably be a first adopter of this "iPad."

It wont be a 10-inch iPod touch. You can't take a tablet everywhere with you like you can with an iPhone, so why would you consider it an alternative? The greater risk is that people with an iPhone wont see the need for the tablet, which is part of the reason why it wont just be a 10" iPod Touch. Lastly AT&T's exclusivity is nearing its end, we'll have to wait and see who else gets the iPhone.
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
post #35 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightlie View Post

You might as well call the Starship Enterprise "in development" based on the same logic.

They actually built the Enterprise at a secret Air Force base in Arizona.

Sorry, I need to shoot all of you now. Please line up against the wall.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #36 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

What we saw in September was a concept video, and a very clunky, very early pre-prototype of the concept. This is not a "likely ... in development" device. This is in the concept stage. In the design world, there is a big difference between those two things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightlie View Post

Exactly. That "Courier" thing was a CGI rendering of a concept, and just more noise from Redmond designed to steal others' thunder. It's not even a prototype yet, and I doubt it'll ever see the light of day. You might as well call the Starship Enterprise "in development" based on the same logic.

This is a good tactic for large companies. Vapourware can keep small companies from trying to compete and keep consumers from going with another product if they think you are coming to market soon. The fact that AI listed it as extensive pics of an in-development product is proof enough that this strategy works.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

300,000 apps eh? The store is getting more and more congested and there must be a better way to organize and get exposure to the smaller developers.

Their organization change will be reactive to a growing App Store, but there are plenty of websites that showcase apps that their editors find interesting or useful. That is the how I find new apps. I never peruse the App Store looking for new apps.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #37 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Really? My iphone cost $700 and can barely multi-task (that is if you even consider listening to music an actual task).
So all that for $600- interesting. Read and edit pdfs- spreadsheets, wordprocessing etc? Print drivers- everything?

do you really believe that AT&T pays Apple $700 for a phone that costs $180 to produce?
post #38 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

do you really believe that AT&T pays Apple $700 for a phone that costs $180 to produce?

Apple's not the profit whore for nothing.
Also I never mentioned AT&T. If I lost it, that's my cost to replace it. That there is no doubt.
post #39 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

There comes a point where the number of apps you have to offer is no longer a selling point. I think 100,000 is definitely that number. Whether its 100 or 900 thousand, customers do not care. The only thing that matters to customers is how a particular, that THEY come across, strikes them.

An app needs to look like an epiphany. Its name should include its purpose, the solution to the problem it solves. The customer should be able to assume this from the icon and the name. From there, the app should live up to all of its expectations, or it shouldn't exist.

Quality > Quantity. Anyone with an iPhone or iPod touch makes that same determination within hours of owning one.

You're being quite presumptuous in pretending to know what matters to customers.

I for one care and will continue to care just how many apps there are in the App Store, mainly because it is and will remain an objective yardstick with which to compare Apple to its competition. Having said that, I also know it's by far not the only yardstick to use, but there's no reason to throw it out just because YOU find it irrelevant.

Quality of course matters, but NOT as a qualification for "entry". Quality, if it is there, will result in better word of mouth, and will therefore benefit viability.

Apple has an advantage based on sheer numbers of apps, but the fact (or opinion) that many of those are free and/or junk does not completely negate the value of the statistic. It is at the very least an indicator of the level in interest on the part of developers and customers in Apple's particular venture.

Most likely in more cases than not, this "interest" can be and is linked to MONEY for developers and for Apple. This is a very good thing.

Daniel Swanson

Reply

Daniel Swanson

Reply
post #40 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

do you really believe that AT&T pays Apple $700 for a phone that costs $180 to produce?

The iSuppli costs are estimated on components and I think some licenses and manufacturing. It doesnt account for R&D, packing, or every other cost that is applied to get a product to market, not to mention any profit. The difference between revenue, gross profit and net profit is proof enough that iSupplis numbers arent the actual cost of the device.

On the topic of AT&Ts cost, companies pay a wholesale cost for a product that is lower than the retail price (as you already know), but oft overlooked is that contractual exclusivity would likely negate this and make it more than the typical wholesale cost. AT&T gets the the iPhone to itself and they pay Apple handsomely for that benefit. This may not a per unit price increase but a flat upfront payment, some trade off, or some other payment type.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple predicted to offer 300,000 iPhone apps, tablet in 2010