or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple predicted to offer 300,000 iPhone apps, tablet in 2010
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple predicted to offer 300,000 iPhone apps, tablet in 2010 - Page 3

post #81 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I think I undid it when I was using my iPhone earlier. Since there is so many replies to his idiocy I didn’t even realize it until after I posted. Let’s chock it up to a bout of temporary Teckstudtardism.

BS- you are always reading my posts and you know it.
post #82 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

1.) By not numerically counting them as if that's significant.
2.) Not calling games and widgets apps- call them for what they are.
3.) Stop with the censorship- make it open.

1) Has nothing to do with what is on the store itself. It is about marketing.
2) Won't make any difference as those thing will still exist in the store.
3) No control.. more crap.. longer existence in the store

You so called solution will make things worst and it doesn't seem to be working well for Android.
post #83 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

You have accurately and thoroughly anticipated all of the arguments and complaints we will undoubtably hear when this product finally appears. Well done!

Comprehensive list indeed but I'm sure there will be more after announcement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carniphage

Putting Mac OS X on a tablet is like putting a steering wheel on a motorcycle.
Reply
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carniphage

Putting Mac OS X on a tablet is like putting a steering wheel on a motorcycle.
Reply
post #84 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

1) Has nothing to do with what is on the store itself. It is about marketing.
2) Won't make any difference as those thing will still exist in the store.
3) No control.. more crap.. longer existence in the store

You so called solution will make things worst and it doesn't seem to working for Android.

Don't cha love how he cries for it to be unabated by harmful content and poor programming checks while also crying about there being too much crap? It's like he's two really annoying people with opposing viewpoints fighting for control of one voice.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #85 of 90
Significantly increasing the size of the iPod screen is transformative even if the device in question doesn't do much more than the Touch/iPhone. I mean, what's wrong with an 8-inch touch device that plays movies, surfs the net, is a fine gaming platform, ereader etc.

Look, the problem with running apps that you would on a full-blown Mac is that many of them would be problematic on an 8-inch screen. Photoshop on an 8-inch tablet? Thanks but no thanks.

Still, who among us would be unhappy about surfing the net on a handheld with an 8-inch screen instead of doing so on a handheld with a 3.5-inch screen.

Less is more, something Apple understands far better than any other electronics manufacturer. By resisting the urge to build a pricey tablet that really isn't ideal for doing assorted tasks, Apple will bring to market a product that is exceptionally good at doing what it does (see above), not to mention hitting a sweet spot re price. Fact is, if this tablet comes close enough in price to be comparable to Apple's laptops, what's the point. If you want a portable device that runs the Mac OS in all its glory, buy an Apple laptpp. They make some great ones, I think, with prices coming down all the time.

The Touch+ would be an enhancement of the Touch form factor, not a Macbook or Macbook Pro alternative. There is a need for such an addition whereas the Macbook line works just fine, thanks, as a portable means of accessing full-bore Mac software.

That said, price point is critical. We would all likely line up to buy a $500 Touch+ device whereas the market for a $800 tablet is rather thin. Personally I would never pay Macbook prices for a smallish device like the tablet is bound to be.
post #86 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

1) Has nothing to do with what is on the store itself. It is about marketing.
2) Won't make any difference as those thing will still exist in the store.
3) No control.. more crap.. longer existence in the store

You so called solution will make things worst and it doesn't seem to be working well for Android.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Don't cha love how he cries for it to be unabated by harmful content and poor programming checks while also crying about there being too much crap? It's like he's two really annoying people with opposing viewpoints fighting for control of one voice.

So much for not reading my posts anymore.
The ladies doth protest too much, methinks!
post #87 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

This is different from "every other thing for sale in the world" how, exactly? Does Adobe sell a lot of software because Best Buy plasters their ads around the premises? Do purveyors of gadgets expect to be able to put up banners at Amazon?

Developers aren't precluded from advertising, or doing any promotional work they want, they just can't do it in the App Store. Seems like a lot of people are pretty use to figuring out the particulars of what they want by taking a look around, then purchasing it online or at a brick and mortar store.

How about music or books? How does the little guy cut through the clutter there?

Just as their are smaller outfits with limited exposure that must do aggressive promotion to get some mind share everywhere else, so it is with the App Store. It's unreasonable to expect Apple to run ad campaigns in addition to providing the bandwidth and infrastructure.

Wut? Adobe isn't out to provide software to the masses, they specifically target the media/programming segment. They sell themselves essentially based on word of mouth and industry people who use and recommend them, kinda like Mac software eh?

Also gadget makers advertise/release info to forums/gadget sites to build hype about said device well before release, but this happens months in advance before it hits anyways so this doesnt apply...since ya know its advertised/talked about well before its released.

What dev in their right mind would think that at 300k apps they are gonna get decent sales of anything, especially if they developed games? Lets say there are possible 25k games when/if they hit 300k, what incentive do you have to make this now, your going to be buried underneath thousands of other titles, a real indie dev would be left out in the wind. How you gonna make effective advertising? App Genius was a step in the right direction, but whats gonna happen when your "tastes" leads you to over 2k different apps?
post #88 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifail View Post

Wut? Adobe isn't out to provide software to the masses, they specifically target the media/programming segment. They sell themselves essentially based on word of mouth and industry people who use and recommend them, kinda like Mac software eh?

Also gadget makers advertise/release info to forums/gadget sites to build hype about said device well before release, but this happens months in advance before it hits anyways so this doesnt apply...since ya know its advertised/talked about well before its released.

What dev in their right mind would think that at 300k apps they are gonna get decent sales of anything, especially if they developed games? Lets say there are possible 25k games when/if they hit 300k, what incentive do you have to make this now, your going to be buried underneath thousands of other titles, a real indie dev would be left out in the wind. How you gonna make effective advertising? App Genius was a step in the right direction, but whats gonna happen when your "tastes" leads you to over 2k different apps?

Adobe's just an example. Substitute any software maker you like.

How many applications are there in the world? Scattered across how many channels? How do any of the small software makers get any exposure? How do any small hardware makers get any exposure? As you say, if they're lucky they might get a mention on one of the big tech blogs, or have good word of mouth, or get into the good graces of the right people.

But how is that different from iPhone app developers? Just because there are a lot of apps in the App Store doesn't mean that developers must rely exclusively on the App Store for their customers to find them.

If you expect the App Store to promote each and every of 300,000 apps, or make it easy for a customer to zero in on your app without even knowing that it exists, then you're asking for too much.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #89 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifail View Post

Wut? Adobe isn't out to provide software to the masses

*cough* Flash *cough* Acrobat *cough*
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #90 of 90
With this type of logic, why would anyone make anything. Quality will always rise to the top. The junk apps will be culled from lack of interest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifail View Post

What dev in their right mind would think that at 300k apps they are gonna get decent sales of anything,
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple predicted to offer 300,000 iPhone apps, tablet in 2010