or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › The Official Congregation of Canadian Apple Insider Members (Or: OCCAIM)

The Official Congregation of Canadian Apple Insider Members (Or: OCCAIM)

post #1 of 16
Hey hey,

\tI've been noticing more and more of my fellow frosty compatriots and thought I'd start a wee thread to discuss Canada, Canadians and Macs.

\tA couple things; ever been to <a href="http://www.EhMac.com" target="_blank">www.EhMac.com</a> ? It used to be more than just a message board, but now that's all it is as far as I know. Great place to buy/sell your Mac in Canada though!

\tAlso, we should do a poll to see just how many of us are here. I'm curious to know. Oh, and The impending Canadian World Domination plans are going quite well according to <a href="http://www.standonguard.com" target="_blank">Stand on Guard</a>.

\tOne other thing: Do you think we'll ever get an Apple store up here? I know Apple said the demand for international stores is huge, but I bet they will see that as: London, Paris, Tokyo, Rome, Rio etc. etc. You know, huge global-village cities. But I want one in Winnipeg! Preferably near my house.

-Y
Registered 2001? My God has it been that long?!
post #2 of 16
There's some of us canucks around. Besides me, there's Murbot, Leonis, Matsu, and others.

I think we may get some Apple stores, but I wouldn't count on Winnipeg

Toronto and Vancouver at least, probably Montreal, maybe Ottawa, Calgary (and/or Edmonton).

I'd like to see one in Victoria too, but that's unlikely.
"All good things must come to an end."
"All good things must come to an end."
post #3 of 16
Yeah I would assume Toronto and Vancouver first, then in another year or so Edmonton (in the massive mall). But I could seriously see Apple putting stores in just Van and TO and saying that's enough. Gaa, Winnipeg sucks.

We only have three stores that carry Macs: Advance Electronics (the best of all three for selection, service and staff knowledge), The University of Manitoba Bookstore (they carry most Macs) and Future Shop (which usually has an iMac or two neglected in the corner).

We desperately need a nation-wide (read: one in at least one city per province) chain of stores that have decent Mac support and selection.

Oh well, I guess I should be happy that I don't have to leave town just to BUY a Mac.
post #4 of 16
I have a solution. Petition the Canadian Government to join the United States. Then Apple will be more likely to put stores up in your cities.

Other than that, you could just come down to New Hampshire and visit our store. We're tax free.

Of course, you'll have to get across the border, which is now going to get $10.7 billion to make it 'secure'. :o
post #5 of 16
I've been on ehMac for a while. I hope it picks up the pace a little - there's not a whole lot of activity, but I do like it.

Being in Ottawa, I don't want an Apple Store. We have a store called bMac. Picture everything in the Apple Store (even a Genius bar, though it's not called that), throw in a pool table, and an art supplies (real art supplies, not the digital kind) department. It's really quite nice. They have lots of peripherals and have all of the Mac models (and LCD displays) on display. Although, they don't have the new iMac in stock yet.

They'll even do BTO models (although it will take a little longer).

post #6 of 16
[quote]Originally posted by Fran441:
<strong>I have a solution. Petition the Canadian Government to join the United States. Then Apple will be more likely to put stores up in your cities. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Hehe, well if that's the cost of having an Apple store I guess I'll live with Advance Electronics. No offense to the US, but Canada is already losing it's identity and if we officially became an annexed US territory, well I'd have to go and kill myself. But getting the US dollar would be nice...hmm, maybe it's not such a bad idea after all...

[quote]<strong>
Other than that, you could just come down to New Hampshire and visit our store. We're tax free. </strong><hr></blockquote>

I would buy a Mac in the states, but thanks to the conversion rate, buying something in the US with no tax costs about the same as buying it up here with a 14% tax. Oy!

-Y
post #7 of 16
[quote]Originally posted by Gustav:
<strong>I've been on ehMac for a while. I hope it picks up the pace a little - there's not a whole lot of activity, but I do like it.
<hr></blockquote></strong>

While I have been reading EhMac for a while now, I have just reformed my lurking ways and registered tonight!

[quote]<strong>
Being in Ottawa, I don't want an Apple Store. We have a store called bMac. Picture everything in the Apple Store (even a Genius bar, though it's not called that), throw in a pool table, and an art supplies (real art supplies, not the digital kind) department. It's really quite nice. They have lots of peripherals and have all of the Mac models (and LCD displays) on display. Although, they don't have the new iMac in stock yet.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Sounds like a really cool store! They definitely get the idea that creative people prefer Macs. I know many artists (digital and physical) who use Macs and a store that had both my computing needs AND my paints, brushes and canvas would be very spiffy! The next time I go to Ottawa I'm definitely going to check them out.

-Y
post #8 of 16
[quote]Originally posted by Ybot:
<strong>

Sounds like a really cool store! They definitely get the idea that creative people prefer Macs. I know many artists (digital and physical) who use Macs and a store that had both my computing needs AND my paints, brushes and canvas would be very spiffy! The next time I go to Ottawa I'm definitely going to check them out.
-Y</strong><hr></blockquote>

FYI,
<a href="http://www.bmac.ca" target="_blank">Here's their web site</a>. The site isn't all that extensive but it does show where they're located. They're in Montréal too.
post #9 of 16
<strong>

FYI,
<a href="http://www.bmac.ca" target="_blank">Here's their web site</a>. The site isn't all that extensive but it does show where they're located. They're in Montréal too.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Great, thanks for the link! Seems like a very cool Mac store. I noticed they will soon have an online store, once that is up I might buy a few things from there.
post #10 of 16
Don't get too excited about it - that online store has been under construction for months..
post #11 of 16
<strong>I've been on ehMac for a while. I hope it picks up the pace a little - there's not a whole lot of activity, but I do like it.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

That place sounds really cool.
post #12 of 16
I think the official AICanucks® or something club needs to be started.

The administration, err, I, approve.
post #13 of 16
[quote]Originally posted by Jonathan:
<strong>I think the official AICanucks® or something club needs to be started.

The administration, err, I, approve.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hmm, I like the idea of that!
post #14 of 16
count me in!
post #15 of 16
Meeeeeeeeee!
We're investigating reports of indecent acts being committed at the YMCA.
We're investigating reports of indecent acts being committed at the YMCA.
post #16 of 16
So, how do we go about making this little club-o-Canadians?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › The Official Congregation of Canadian Apple Insider Members (Or: OCCAIM)