or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Motorola suggests Apple's iPhone is feminine in latest TV spot
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Motorola suggests Apple's iPhone is feminine in latest TV spot - Page 4

post #121 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by B747 View Post

Excuse you! I like my white iPhone thanks very much. Everyone and their mother have black.

Regardless, lol at Motorola. Jealous of success?

I'll second that. I've owned 3 iPhones, all black. I wanted something different for my 3GS. I went with White. No one ever sees it under the covers, but I know it's there
iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 24" Dual Core 3.06 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 4
Reply
iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 24" Dual Core 3.06 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 4
Reply
post #122 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDjinn View Post

Quite possibly the stupidest ad I've seen in years.

uh, i could best you with the latest microsoft ads. they are absolutely horrible. they're a conceptual rip-off of the swiffer ads. it's really embarrassing. does that company have any kind of originality these days?
post #123 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I have my iPhone plugged in all day at work, and.......?

And do you get a signal down at your mums basement!?
post #124 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

I disagree. Apple never slams a PC user. They always slam the PC. Their commercials are very specific about that.

The iPhone adds, even the newest where they even mention the competitors, are always targeted to the hardware, not the users who use it.

Yes, you're right. It seems to me, however, that the Mac ads imply something about PC users. But I might be stretching it there, I'll grant you that.
post #125 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

I disagree. Apple never slams a PC user. They always slam the PC. Their commercials are very specific about that.

The iPhone adds, even the newest where they even mention the competitors, are always targeted to the hardware, not the users who use it.

There are plenty of rules for regarding your competitors in marketing. But generally you dont want to mention a competitor unless they are so out of favour with the public that you land some good blows or if they are so far ahead of you with the public that you try to get a brand-to-brand association going.

Apple did well to simply say PC in the ads, despite Macs obviously being PCs which Long pointed out in the BootCamp ad. Apple did start mentioning and directly going after Windows once it was clear that MS had lost mindshare with Vista. Kick when their down is always a good move in marketing.


Quote:
Originally Posted by B747 View Post

Excuse you! I like my white iPhone thanks very much. Everyone and their mother have black.

Regardless, lol at Motorola. Jealous of success?

I bought White for the 3G but that was because it was only in white for the high-end version making it the more elite model by sight and ultimately giving it a better resale value (even though I ultimately gave it away when I got my 3GS). With the 3GS I went with black because White was available in both 3GS models. Either way, I dont really care what colour it is since its a case, anyway.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #126 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronsullivan View Post

Still, the Droid has a lot going for it. I'd say it's the first direct competitor to the iPhone. Android OS is set to take off. That's good for all of us as the two duke it out.

It occurs to me that the iPhone will remain dominant (assuming they don't just totally stop innovating...like Moto did a few years ago!) as long as the competition keeps trying to copy the iPhone. Remember when the Razr was cool? iPhone didn't dominate the market by emulating the Razr. It kicked butt by being something TOTALLY different.

No...the Android is trying to be an incrementally better iPhone, so has lost before it has even started. The true iPhone killer will be the next insanely great product that really doesn't look much like the iPhone.
post #127 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Yes, you're right. It seems to me, however, that the Mac ads imply something about PC users. But I might be stretching it there, I'll grant you that.

I thought they were rather clever. Especially when they have the actual PC 'user' in the ads, and welcome them with open arms. The ads actually allow the 'PC' to make their case for them and then the user makes the only reasonable choice

If they had that kind of marketing genius all these years, I suspect things would look rather different than they do today.

I'm really shocked that Motorola would put out such a tasteless add. It basically says all women are vapid blondes without a thought in their head.

I can't imagine they actually tested that ad properly.
iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 24" Dual Core 3.06 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 4
Reply
iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 24" Dual Core 3.06 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 4
Reply
post #128 of 329
What an odd thing to suggest, in fact rather childish and silly. I know a dozen people who own an iPhone and non of them are women.

Motorola - this is 2009 - grow up!!
A reputation is not built upon the restful domain of one's comfort zone; it is made out of stalwart exposition of your core beliefs, for all challenges to disprove them as irrelevant hubris.- Berp...
Reply
A reputation is not built upon the restful domain of one's comfort zone; it is made out of stalwart exposition of your core beliefs, for all challenges to disprove them as irrelevant hubris.- Berp...
Reply
post #129 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by mactoid View Post

It occurs to me that the iPhone will remain dominant (assuming they don't just totally stop innovating...like Moto did a few years ago!) as long as the competition keeps trying to copy the iPhone. Remember when the Razr was cool? iPhone didn't dominate the market by emulating the Razr. It kicked butt by being something TOTALLY different.

No...the Android is trying to be an incrementally better iPhone, so has lost before it has even started. The true iPhone killer will be the next insanely great product that really doesn't look much like the iPhone.

+1 Insightful...
iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 24" Dual Core 3.06 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 4
Reply
iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 24" Dual Core 3.06 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 4
Reply
post #130 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I think the ad is great. It’s attacking some trivial aspect and then creating a perception that the iPhone isn’t fast because it’s more attractive. They don’t say it isn’t fast but they imply it brilliantly.

The great part is that the 3GS is faster than the Droid. Even the 5mpx camera has shown to have worse images than the 3Mpx camera in the 3GS, though that may have been to the odd rolling camera bug that was found.

I couldn't agree more. Truth and facts have nothing to do with it. Marketing is all about perception. If true life facts help create a positive perception, so be it but it is not a requirement. Here it is all implication.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

This is Motorola playing hardball using the homophobia card. They figure if it sticks a straight guy wouldn't be caught dead with an iPhone.

Which is very clever. As people have mentioned it is pretty juvenile but even if reviewers the world over disprove and argue against Motorola, they will still have achieved their goal in the short term - the holiday season.

Now is the time for someone to come out with an armour plated, stainless steel or camouflage colored ipod protective case with hard edges and flashing lights. Lets fight back! Lets show those M-Punks we are REAL MEN (even though I know most of you carry make-up in your man purses)
post #131 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by mactoid View Post

It occurs to me that the iPhone will remain dominant (assuming they don't just totally stop innovating...like Moto did a few years ago!) as long as the competition keeps trying to copy the iPhone. Remember when the Razr was cool? iPhone didn't dominate the market by emulating the Razr. It kicked butt by being something TOTALLY different.

No...the Android is trying to be an incrementally better iPhone, so has lost before it has even started. The true iPhone killer will be the next insanely great product that really doesn't look much like the iPhone.

Brilliant post. Can't help but agree with this.
post #132 of 329
This is the kind of commercial for the clueless. Idiots will love it and will later come back to get an iPhone that they really need.

And no business will even consider this trash as a substitute or replacement for iPhone. It may even help bring more female buyers for Apple.

Stupid commercial from a dying company!!!!
post #133 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

This is Motorola playing hardball using the homophobia card. They figure if it sticks a straight guy wouldn't be caught dead with an iPhone.

Agreed...the ad does seem to be in bad taste and a bit juvenile to me...not because I'm apple fan but just in general.
post #134 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

I couldn't agree more. Truth and facts have nothing to do with it. Marketing is all about perception. If true life facts help create a positive perception, so be it but it is not a requirement. Here it is all implication.



Which is very clever. As people have mentioned it is pretty juvenile but even if reviewers the world over disprove and argue against Motorola, they will still have achieved their goal in the short term - the holiday season.

Now is the time for someone to come out with an armour plated, stainless steel or camouflage colored ipod protective case with hard edges and flashing lights. Lets fight back! Lets show those M-Punks we are REAL MEN (even though I know most of you carry make-up in your man purses)

Yes and No. There aren't a lot of 14-21 year olds with $200-400 bucks to throw out on a phone. Not a lot of disposable cash in that group. I wonder if they are targeting that group, or someone a bit older?
iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 24" Dual Core 3.06 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 4
Reply
iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 24" Dual Core 3.06 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 4
Reply
post #135 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Now is the time for someone to come out with an armour plated, stainless steel or camouflage colored ipod protective case with hard edges and flashing lights. Lets fight back! Lets show those M-Punks we are REAL MEN (even though I know most of you carry make-up in your man purses)

There's no need to be ashamed about liking a particular phone or color.

I can't believe people here feel like they have to defend their choice of a white iPhone.

The only people who snark about the effeminate look/color are the closet cases. Ignore them.

And the silly thing about the ad is that they're targeting ostensibly straight (although more like insecure) men. But everyone knows it's the gays with the disposable income. So why are they targeting the straight guys with a top-of-the-line device?

Terrible marketing strategy.
post #136 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

WOW- you're a name caller. I'm so impressed.

I didn't call you a name. If you're inferring it from my post then if the shoe fits...

Quote:
At least I post regarding the thread- whether you agree or disagree.

Let's review:
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Ouch! Strike a nerve or strike a pose?
...
Well he kinda looks Britneyish, smiling while shaking Ms. Salahi's hand.
...
What closet?
Of course there are gay football players but are any out?
Who doesn't know Glambert?
...
I would think they'd be tightening.
...
Is that you Annie Lennox?

And that's just from this thread alone. Do I really have to go through all 6300+ of your posts for more counter-evidence?

Quote:
Would do you contribute?

A modicum of proof-reading before posting?

Do you have any explanation for why you are so vehemently anti-Apple here and yet you claim to use their products and spend a significant amount of your time posting to an Apple-oriented site?
post #137 of 329
Droid users are macho men.

post #138 of 329
WHACK!!!

The ad spent more time comparing itself to the iPhone then actually talking about the phone. I feel sad for anyone who actually thinks it's a robot HAHA!!! The worst phone commercial in a long time...
post #139 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikertwin View Post

But everyone knows it's the gays with the disposable income.

Like OMG- how homophobic is that comment?
post #140 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

Do I really have to go through all 6300+ of your posts for more counter-evidence?

Do you have any explanation for why you are so vehemently anti-Apple here and yet you claim to use their products and spend a significantamount of your time posting to an Apple-oriented site?

Quote:
Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Droid users are macho men.


I'm really liking this thread.
post #141 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Droid users are macho men.


Hey, I happen to like the Village People
iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 24" Dual Core 3.06 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 4
Reply
iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 24" Dual Core 3.06 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 4
Reply
post #142 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

I didn't call you a name. If you're inferring it from my post then if the shoe fits...



Do you have any explanation for why you are so vehemently anti-Apple here and yet you claim to use their products and spend a significantamount of your time posting to an Apple-oriented site?

Posting a link to a picture and a name is not name-calling? OK- if you say so.

I am not anti-Apple, vehemently or otherwise. Me loves me Apple products, save one.
post #143 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

Hey, I happen to like the Village People

It's ok. Some of my best friends are Windows users.
post #144 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Like OMG- how homophobic is that comment?

Not the least bit. Stereotypical, maybe, but not homophobic.
post #145 of 329
Quick, somebody tell the guy who came in and bought an iPhone from me the other day, after showing me that it takes 3 minutes for his Droid to load a webpage he wants to go to, that the iPhone isn't as fast and masculine as a Droid. Lying liars.
post #146 of 329
It seems to me these anti - iPhone commercials showing up are getting more and more desperate ...
twitter and facebook is your life, MyAppleSpace is your iLife
Reply
twitter and facebook is your life, MyAppleSpace is your iLife
Reply
post #147 of 329
They are mistaking feminine with "designed". Or "cool".
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #148 of 329
Hmm Ive been using HAL as my iPhone wallpaper for a couple years now but people might think Im mimicking the Droid.


Quote:
Originally Posted by OC4Theo View Post

This is the kind of commercial for the clueless. Idiots will love it and will later come back to get an iPhone that they really need.

All good ads advertise for clueless idiots, relatively speaking.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #149 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Steve and Jonny must be LIVID! and FURIOUS!

That white iPhone was always a bit naff.

Clearly, you have no sense of style.
post #150 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikertwin View Post

Terrible marketing strategy.

Not really- it's got everyone on here talking about it. Already on page 4.
post #151 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Droid users are macho men.


By trying to attract new "cool guy" customers... aren't they alienating current male iPhone users (future potential Moto customers) who realize this commercial is trying to make them out to be ninnies?

In the same token, the ad is encouraging all the princesses/models/hotties to get an iPhone... I can see myself now "Sure Heather, I'll help you with your iPhone..." HAHAAH!!!

Motorola, Verizon, you're so silly...
post #152 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikertwin View Post

Not the least bit. Stereotypical, maybe, but not homophobic.

I had to look up what you were referring to with this reply. He cant even use the word phobic correctly. Too funny! Sometimes I wonder how we can be in the same Genus.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #153 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikertwin View Post

There's no need to be ashamed about liking a particular phone or color.

I can't believe people here feel like they have to defend their choice of a white iPhone.

The only people who snark about the effeminate look/color are the closet cases. Ignore them.

And the silly thing about the ad is that they're targeting ostensibly straight (although more like insecure) men. But everyone knows it's the gays with the disposable income. So why are they targeting the straight guys with a top-of-the-line device?

Terrible marketing strategy.

I agree 100%. I love my white iPhone, the black one is too common and boring.
post #154 of 329
Better feminine than stupid.
post #155 of 329
And here I find the context - even as man - as offensive... Well, at least for American standards, because in my part of the world (Europe) that would not be a big problem.

Anybody knows why women would not feel offended by such claims and suggestions? I would want to watch feminst movement actions as reponse to this.
post #156 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam'ron View Post

Clearly, you have no sense of style.

Wrong- I never liked the Rock'r either.



Chalk white phones are for those screaching for attention.

Wasn't is Madonna that made the original Rockr ad? 'Nuff said!

Haven't you ever heard: "Less is More" ?
post #157 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam'ron View Post

I agree 100%. I love my white iPhone, the black one is too common and boring.

Buy a colored case and move on. Besides the white ones get cracks- don't they?
post #158 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenburg View Post

Apple used to do this with their "I'm a Mac, I'm a PC" ads. Now Justin Long just stands there watching PC unveil the next negative attack ad on Windows. Microsoft, however, is now extolling all the cool things you can do with WIndows 7. Whether you like their ads or not, at least they're positive and selling capabilities rather than going negative. Apple should hire Microsoft's ad agency.


I assure you I have struggled with not ripping the "s" out of you in the most personal and inappropriate terms. That is how strongly I disagree with your statement. Since I don't wish to receive an infraction, I'll somehow refrain.

Apple is not "doing this" with their Mac/PC ads. They are poking fun at well-established and known flaws in Windows machines. They are positioning the Mac as "just working" and an icon of cool, both of which are true. The Moto ad is attacking the iPhone on absurd grounds...those literally made up by their marketing department and directed to hormone driven young males. It's simply not a valid comparison.

As for Windows 7, no...I don't like their ads. I will agree that they are generally positive advertisements. However, keep in mind this is pretty new for M$. Remember their ridiculous "you find it, you keep it" campaign.

Your last statement is the one that causes me to question your sobriety. Apple has had some of the most effective and memorable ads in history. They have built their brand into an icon...a must have household name. iPod has replaced the term "MP3 player" for Pete's sake. Microsoft advertising has failed in almost every respect. Vista was a PR nightmare. Many of their products have only succeeded because they strong armed developers and competitors while pouring boatloads of money into them (e.g. XBOX). They have a TERRIBLE advertising operation. But you want to hire them because they have one reasonably positive and effective ad on TV. Good luck, Mr. CEO. I'm sure you'll be successful in business. In fact, we should petition Steve Jobs to follow your business plan.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #159 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Chalk white phones are for those screeching for attention.

Wow, is that ever the pot calling the kettle black.

Do you read what you write?
post #160 of 329
Moto is about two commercials away from the much loved Powerthrist Videos -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-3qn...eature=related

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Motorola suggests Apple's iPhone is feminine in latest TV spot