or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Motorola suggests Apple's iPhone is feminine in latest TV spot

Motorola suggests Apple's iPhone is feminine in latest TV spot - Page 6

post #201 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

So buy a white case for god's sake! I really don't understand all this whining for white.

So buy a different phone for god's sake! I really don't understand all this whining about a phone you don't use and have no intention of buying.
post #202 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikertwin View Post

Not the least bit. Stereotypical, maybe, but not homophobic.

Oh because you are (I forgot, how dumb of me)- but if someone else were to say that - then it would be phobic.
OK - gotcha.

( and since when did solipsism anoint himself and become moderator)
post #203 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenburg View Post

Apple used to do this with their "I'm a Mac, I'm a PC" ads. Now Justin Long just stands there watching PC unveil the next negative attack ad on Windows. Microsoft, however, is now extolling all the cool things you can do with WIndows 7. Whether you like their ads or not, at least they're positive and selling capabilities rather than going negative. Apple should hire Microsoft's ad agency.

Apple actually has a two pronged approach. one is the 'here's what X does'. the other was the 'i'm a mac' series which came up as a way to answer the most oft heard complaints about Windows.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #204 of 329
Quote:

So buy a different phone for god's sake! I really don't understand all this whining about a phone you don't use and have no intention of buying.

I do use and am a proud owner of a 32GB 3 Gs - BLACK.
With a rubberized orange and black liquid resistant case. got it?
post #205 of 329
Quote:

Wow, what a rip-off.

I guess that photo is pretty iconic. Amazing image.

Yeah. The original is so much better than the Verizon/Motorola rip-off.

Wait...
post #206 of 329
Motorola has continued its assault on the iPhone with a new commercial that indirectly compares Apple's handset to a "tiara-wearing digitally clueless beauty pageant queen."

That's impossible....my x wife doesn't have an iPhone!

Funny thing though, I bet women beat men in iphone or any
phone ownership 3 to 1. Like apple cares who by them.
post #207 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

They could have gone all-American and used "Patriot Missile." It's the obvious choice.

Maybe they couldn't get permission from Raytheon to use the name.
post #208 of 329
Quote:

Wow, what a rip-off.

I guess that photo is pretty iconic. Amazing image.

Right- Apple invented gazing at an object now.

post #209 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajavila85 View Post

Oh man... Thems is fightin words!!! I guess motorola is just jealous cuz he can't have an iphone!!! Cuz then they'd know the truth!!! Lolz!!!

Wow. My English meter went off the charts reading that one.
post #210 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Fred 1 View Post

Motorola has continued its assault on the iPhone with a new commercial that indirectly compares Apple's handset to a "tiara-wearing digitally clueless beauty pageant queen."

That's impossible....my x wife doesn't have an iPhone!

LOL. That raises the question: Considering 'touch' on the iPhone does not work with long, painted nails, how do beauty queens use it?
post #211 of 329
Quote:

Oh because you are (I forgot, how dumb of me)- but if someone else were to say that - then it would be phobic.
OK - gotcha.

OK, since you're not going to read that link and educate yourself, let me explain it to you here.

"All gay men have more disposable income." "All gay men drive fabulous convertibles." Those are stereotyping remarks, but I wouldn't consider them homophobic remarks. They're just overgeneralizing. There may be a grain (or more) of truth, but clearly they're false when you state that all people are this or that. That's a stereotype.

"Gay men aren't human" "Gay men will rot in hell" "Gay teachers are trying to convert my children" "Gays are destroying the sanctity of marriage" "Gays should all be fired from their jobs". Now those are homophobic remarks: negative remarks based on unfounded fear. That's homophobia.

Some comments can be a mix of the two: "All gay men are skinny and hairless." It's stereotypical (certainly, many gay men are skinny and hairless, but gay men come in all shapes and sizes--just ask a "bear"), but it's also negative in that it's insinuating that skinny & hairless is effeminate and somehow not 'manly'.

Looking at the ad photo in the link that Quadra 610 posted (that mimicked the photo by Mr. David-Duncanson), you'll see how there's one woman and 2 men who are "smooth" and thin, and thus insinuating unmasculine.*

So the ad is pretty homophobic right from the start, but my comment about disposable income really isn't in the same category--regardless of whether a gay person such as myself said it.

*--The funny thing is, you wouldn't believe how many large, hairy, gay men have iPhones with bling on them. LOL. I think they look fabulous. (The men and the phones)
post #212 of 329
Quote:

Right- Apple invented gazing at an object now.

God, you're so funny! It wasn't an Apple photo. Did you read Mr. Duncan-Davidson's post? He was off the clock.
post #213 of 329
OK, the thing I'm not getting here is how, exactly, this ad is effective outside of a fairly limited demographic of quite possibly brain damaged buyers.

For instance, if, I dunno, say, Nissan made a perhaps over refined small pickup truck, with a lot of curves and padding in the interior and extra vanity mirrors, and it in fact therefore did not do pickup things very well, possibly breaking if taken off road or exploding if you put anything more than a brace of Pekinese in the bed, or something, and then Toyota made a similar small pickup but bolted shark fins and dicks to it and painted it flat black with skulls and crossbones and Mad Max style windshield bullet guards, then, sure, I guess, run that campaign. Stupid, but whatever.

But this is not the case, is it? It's more akin to Nissan making a very well engineered small pickup truck that does pickup truck stuff very well, but also has the kind of amenities that everybody likes, such as a good stereo and tight turning radius and decent handling, etc., and then Toyota makes a similar pickup that perhaps is somewhat less polished but with knobbier tires and a louder engine, and then they try to run that campaign.

The iPhone is minimal, not froufrou. It's functionality is useful and straightforward, not fancy or pointlessly decorative. And everybody knows it. Well, as I say, everybody but a perhaps small cohort of people who, what, think Apple is "gay"? Is that a real demographic?

It sort of reminds me of the McCain campaign strategy of trying to paint Obama as a "celebrity." It didn't really work, because there just isn't any bling in the man. He doesn't fit the celebrity, media whore mold, so simply conjuring that up out of thin air just came off as tone-deaf, except, of course, for those predisposed to gobble up whatever negative shit got lobbed, no matter how nonsensical (Dear insane wingers: just an example, please do not counter by pointing out how Obama is in fact a celebrity Supersocialcommunisticislamofascistdocious empty suit, because it's still stupid).

The point being, I think the vast majority seeing this commercial will be mystified if not somewhat frightened. The idea that some kind of stomping, steaming, clanking monster phone is the antidote to some mythical fairy phone is meaningless, for everyone outside of Beavis and Butthead.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #214 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadkid08 View Post

Actually yeah I could see an NFL player with a white iPhone. Nothing wrong with white it happens to be one of my favorite colors and yes I'm 19 and I'm a dude and no I'm not gay. When I got my iPhone I wanted white but it was not offered for the 8GB model, everything is black these days so white is different and black quite frankly is boring. Different does not equal feminine

It's funny, I see many professional male athletes and musicians dressed in white suits. Seems to be a style to show wealth within certain cultures. I quite like the look. I find it classy and even have a couple of white suits for when I'm in the Tropics livin' large.

Why he would call someone a fag for having a white phone is bigoted and assinine, especially when so many other Mac products are white, including iPods, mice, Macs and the AppleTV he bought without researching it's capabilites first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Amusingly, the droid phone I've played with the most is owned by a grrl.

Now that I think of it I only know two people with Droids and they are both girls. But one could kick my arse so she may not count. \
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #215 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

Wow. My English meter went off the charts reading that one.

Yours must be broke because mine barely registered any English at all.
post #216 of 329
Quote:

OK, since you're not going to read that link and educate yourself, let me explain it to you here.

"All gay men have more disposable income." "All gay men drive fabulous convertibles." Those are stereotyping remarks, but I wouldn't consider them homophobic remarks. They're just overgeneralizing. There may be a grain (or more) of truth, but clearly they're false when you state that all people are this or that. That's a stereotype.

Dude- Ok listen to me good. I'll be clear - those kind of stereotypical remarks are just not acceptable. You don't know any poor gay folk? You stated that there are none but just because you are (not poor- lol) don't make it right. OGay?
post #217 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

OK, the thing I'm not getting here is how, exactly, this ad is effective outside of a fairly limited demographic of quite possibly brain damaged buyers.

For instance, if, I dunno, say, Nissan made a perhaps over refined small pickup truck, with a lot of curves and padding in the interior and extra vanity mirrors, and it in fact therefore did not do pickup things very well, possibly breaking if taken off road or exploding if you put anything more than a brace of Pekinese in the bed, or something, and then Toyota made a similar small pickup but bolted shark fins and dicks to it and painted it flat black with skulls and crossbones and Mad Max style windshield bullet guards, then, sure, I guess, run that campaign. Stupid, but whatever.

But this is not the case, is it? It's more akin to Nissan making a very well engineered small pickup truck that does pickup truck stuff very well, but also has the kind of amenities that everybody likes, such as a good stereo and tight turning radius and decent handling, etc., and then Toyota makes a similar pickup that perhaps is somewhat less polished but with knobbier tires and a louder engine, and then they try to run that campaign.

The iPhone is minimal, not froufrou. It's functionality is useful and straightforward, not fancy or pointlessly decorative. And everybody knows it. Well, as I say, everybody but a perhaps small cohort of people who, what, think Apple is "gay"? Is that a real demographic?

It sort of reminds me of the McCain campaign strategy of trying to paint Obama as a "celebrity." It didn't really work, because there just isn't any bling in the man. He doesn't fit the celebrity, media whore mold, so simply conjuring that up out of thin air just came off as tone-deaf, except, of course, for those predisposed to gobble up whatever negative shit got lobbed, no matter how nonsensical (Dear insane wingers: just an example, please do not counter by pointing out how Obama is in fact a celebrity Supersocialcommunisticislamofascistdocious empty suit, because it's still stupid).

The point being, I think the vast majority seeing this commercial will be mystified if not somewhat frightened. The idea that some kind of stomping, steaming, clanking monster phone is the antidote to some mythical fairy phone is meaningless, for everyone outside of Beavis and Butthead.

See Quadra? Here is an example of what we spoke about before.
post #218 of 329
Quote:

Can you seriously see any NFL player with a white iPhone?

Real-tarded.

Aren't there a lot of NFL teams with uniforms that are light or predominantly white. Try turning on the NFL sometime, it's all about pretty colors - no 'macho' earth tones in there. The most butch color in there is 'sea foam green'.

Besides aren't these the guys in tight, stretchy pants? How exactly do those help you play football? I'm thinking there's a lot more 'fantasy' in football than most self proclaimed 'studs' would like to admit. Ponder that while you're having some beers watching wide receivers and tight ends tackle each other all day long.
post #219 of 329
Quote:

God, you're so funny! It wasn't an Apple photo. Did you read Mr. Duncan-Davidson's post? He was off the clock.

No I was reading your "It was so iconic- etc."..lol
post #220 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxygenhose View Post

Real-tarded.

Aren't there a lot of NFL teams with uniforms (no pun intended) that are light or predominantly white. Try turning on the NFL sometime, it's all about pretty colors - no 'macho' earth tones in there. The most butch color in there is 'sea foam green'.

Besides aren't these the guys in tight, stretchy pants? How exactly do those help you play football? I'm thinking there's a lot more 'fantasy' in football than most self proclaimed 'studs' would like to admit. Ponder that while you're having some beers watching wide receivers and tight ends tackle each other all day long.

Well are you wearing oxygenhose right now or what ?
post #221 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

[The iPhone] is more akin to Nissan making a very well engineered small pickup truck that does pickup truck stuff very well, but also has the kind of amenities that everybody likes, such as a good stereo and tight turning radius and decent handling, etc., and then Toyota makes a similar pickup that perhaps is somewhat less polished but with knobbier tires and a louder engine, and then they try to run that campaign.

Good point. What is more, many of the competitors' offerings have copied the iPhone's look too.
post #222 of 329
Heh heh.... http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...DCEBgD9CCMV481

"Dear FCC: We are simply protecting some of our he-men from becoming feminized."
post #223 of 329
For all the adds I'm still not quite sure what droid even DOES (apart from I'm assuming make phone calls) They've spent so much time bashing iPhone they forgot to promote their own product.
Just goes to show how good iPhone actually is when a company focuses their ENTIRE add campaign on trying to make iPhone look bad. I guess we know where the bar is..
post #224 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

The genius of the iPhone design is it appeals to both men and woman.

It appeals to both really cause the interface makes sense.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #225 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorybalmer View Post

For all the adds I'm still not quite sure what droid even DOES (apart from I'm assuming make phone calls) They've spent so much time bashing iPhone they forgot to promote their own product.
Just goes to show how good iPhone actually is when a company focuses their ENTIRE add campaign on trying to make iPhone look bad. I guess we know where the bar is..

I think there's an underlying conceptual incoherence in trying to link some fairly dry technical points to machismo and virility.

It would be like the Linux camp suddenly deciding that the best way to desktop domination would be to start beating their chests and screaming "Open source, faggots!"
post #226 of 329
Quote:

I do use and am a proud owner of a 32GB 3 Gs - BLACK.
With a rubberized orange and black liquid resistant case. got it?

Gays really love their black rubber and leather.
post #227 of 329
Advertising is often stupid and treats potential customers as though they have a brain the size of a pea and stuff like this shows that Motorola fall into that category as well as being sexist into the bargain. They manage to insult men by assuming that they respond positively to inane OTT drivel about browsers, saws and bananas and they insult women by assuming that they are only interested in surface and know and/or care nothing for the technical merits of anything they purchase.
post #228 of 329
Quote:

Gays really love their black rubber and leather.

Oh and all this time I thought it was white plastic phones.
post #229 of 329
One truly ironic thing about this advert is that Motorola's most successful phone was the RAZR, which was all about appearance with very little else going for it. I thought it was a great looking phone the first time I saw one. I still think it's a great looking phone, but otherwise it's a POS. I should know, I'm still using one.
post #230 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBill View Post

One truly ironic thing about this advert is that Motorola's most successful phone was the RAZR, which was all about appearance with very little else going for it. I thought it was a great looking phone the first time I saw one. I still think it's a great looking phone, but otherwise it's a POS. I should know, I'm still using one.

Now that's funny
post #231 of 329
Quote:

Oh and all this time I thought it was white plastic phones.

Next you'll be telling us about your Harley and your Jeep.
post #232 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiltedGreen View Post

Advertising is often stupid and treats potential customers as though they have a brain the size of a pea and stuff like this shows that Motorola fall into that category as well as being sexist into the bargain. They manage to insult men by assuming that they respond positively to inane OTT drivel about browsers, saws and bananas and they insult women by assuming that they are only interested in surface and know and/or care nothing for the technical merits of anything they purchase.

Absolutely, but usually when an advertiser explicitly references a competitor, it's based on something most people at least sort of resonate with, or can at least understand.

If Motorola had wanted to market the Droid as a death machine, just straight up, no mention of anything else, OK. I don't think that makes any sense, personally, because I don't think many people think of their phone as a cudgel, or dildo, or gun. Or a robot from the future sent back to kill us all. Even video game console ads tend toward trippy empowerment over raw metal pounding, or at least leaven the latter with the former.

But that plus "ha ha we riddle the body of the fag phone with titanium bullets" is just insane. It doesn't make any sense, it doesn't reference any real ambient sensibility, and the net effect is that 12 year boys actually made the ad.
post #233 of 329
A "tiara-wearing digitally clueless beauty pageant queen"? A jealous bitchy drag queen couldn't have said it better. Apple clueless? ROFL What Reality Distortion Field do they have over there?
post #234 of 329
Quote:

Well are you wearing oxygenhose right now or what ?

Perhaps, but you were still being a little sissy about a white plastic iPhone.
But I know you really just prefer the black to better match your evening gowns.
post #235 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxygenhose View Post

Perhaps, but you were still being a little sissy about a white plastic iPhone.
But I know you really just prefer the black to better match your evening gowns.

Dude - Motorola is bringing up the white plastic iPhone. I'm just explaining it to all y'all.
post #236 of 329
Quote:

Next you'll be telling us about your Harley and your Jeep.

More like my Vespa and my Lexus.
post #237 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

At the end of the day, the iPhone is within 2% of RIM and about to pass them, has destroyed 10 years' worth of WinMo "development", and has relegated the Pre to swirling-in-the-bowl status. All in two years.

Android has yet to prove itself. Droid has yet to prove itself. And if Google releases their own phone (as we're hearing), there goes Verizon's premiere device.

We've been through all the "Macs are fruity" and "Macs are for artsy types" business years ago. It didn't work. No effect. Won't work against the iPhone. Apple simply sold more Macs. Apple will simply sell more iPhones. Done. The public knows what Apple represents, it's not for nothing that Apple commands ungodly mindshare.

I guess someone hasn't been reading the tech news! Android is starting to pop up on anything that has a touchscreen. Tablets, smartphones, picture frames, netbooks, and even a freaking in-car system. I'd say Android is proving itself very well.

Droid has proven itself too, with at least 250,000 sales during its launch week and on track to hit the 1 million mark before the year's end. For a phone on 1 carrier, in 1 country, that's very impressive.

But back to the topic. The one reason this ad is successful? It causes controversy. Controversy leads to recognition of an item. Whether or not this is positive or negative to the Droid is a matter of personal opinion. But you can't deny that it's getting the Droid name out there more. Hell we're all discussing it right now! Exactly what Motorola wants!

My favorite line was "duct taped to a Scud missile..."
\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
post #238 of 329
I want my cell phone to be my "bitch", not the other way around. The Druid wants you to be its bitch. I say, "No way, Jose--and I ain't paying those superfluous Verizon monthly fees either!"

Who would want a pooping horse in their pocket anyway?
post #239 of 329
I think Verizon/Motorola picked a good point of attack.

Alot of buds I know, and I'm over 30, don't like things that aren't "manly." And while the iPhone ain't out and out girly, it isn't "manly" either.

That being said, they also don't want nerdy or geeky things either. And the Droid (especially the experience) is nerdier and geekier from what I can tell.
post #240 of 329
Quote:

Dude - Motorola is bringing up the white plastic iPhone. I'm just explaining it to all y'all.

Right.

BTW...
Not to pick on you, but you realize... the Lexus alone disqualifies someone from providing color/style explanations. Capital T tacky, make Escalades look almost classy. I don't mean to nitpick, but people don't typically buy a Lexus out of necessity and no amount of glue-on faux chrome or gold will ever make that L emblem into a BMW or Mercedes.

With the Vespa & black/orange rubber iPhone... just sinking deeper and deeper.

Have you heard the joke:
What do plump girls and Vespas have in common?
Both fun to ride, just don't let anyone see you doing it.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Motorola suggests Apple's iPhone is feminine in latest TV spot