or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Motorola suggests Apple's iPhone is feminine in latest TV spot

Motorola suggests Apple's iPhone is feminine in latest TV spot - Page 2

post #41 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

Someone should tell Motorola that the iphone is BOTH good looking, feels good in a hand AND is FAST.

Nice to see someone other than Apple actually advertise they have a phone.

Sorry, Moto, I'll take that blonde over a robot anyday.

I think the ad is great. Its attacking some trivial aspect and then creating a perception that the iPhone isnt fast because its more attractive. They dont say it isnt fast but they imply it brilliantly.

The great part is that the 3GS is faster than the Droid. Even the 5mpx camera has shown to have worse images than the 3Mpx camera in the 3GS, though that may have been to the odd rolling camera bug that was found.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #42 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifail View Post

that redfined sexy and sleek

LOL you need to get some taste.
post #43 of 329
When I saw that ad on TV I was like wtf? I have a Touch, and it has speed, apps, connectivity. Those who have iPhones even have GPS and other nicities like a nice camera. Droid was late to the game, it is not as good in terms of apps. It does not have as good an implementation of multitouch, and if it wasn't for google OS motorolla would have been dead. Plus as many have pointed out there is a pink moto razr.

These ads do sound like a 12 year old boy attacks on a phone. Both because they are stupid, and because the party making the crude "you are gay" remarks has nothing of substance to offer.

I kinda hope that droid is a sucess, and that it overwhelms Verizon's networks the same as iPhone did to ATT. Then verizon will put restrictions on the phone same as they always did, and iPhone will continue to be king.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
post #44 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Is this for real? Motorola puts out a phone ad that basically insults 51% of the buying public...women!

A bit sexist to me. I have a scuba diving, skydiving, snowboarding 25 year old daughter in Med school that looks like the blonde at the end of this ad only she's 5'11" and she has a white iPhone!

Sheez! Gimme a break!

This is Motorola playing hardball using the homophobia card. They figure if it sticks a straight guy wouldn't be caught dead with an iPhone.
post #45 of 329
If your product can't unseat the competition, just call them gay or something.

Smooth.
post #46 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by drdb View Post

This is hilarious. It's basically a schoolboy 'you're gay' comment at the iPhone.

If you can't compete on merit, try to position the competition in a negative way. It's highly effective marketing toward males if you can make your product look like it's a guy's thing. Think truck and beer advertisements and it's easy to see the masters of this kind of advertising.

The Droid is a capable device, but it's not anything special. Being "open" does not play into any tangible benefit for me, and while its network is clearly superior, my experience with it at the Verizon store is best summarized as "meh". And it's also not an iPod, which still makes the iPhone highly attractive to metrosexuals and this pick-up truck drivin' and tractor ownin' hayseed.

Furthermore, I don't think the people to whom this kind of marketing appeals is necessarily an iPhone customer anyway. It might take some of the blush off the iPhone, but I think most people buy the iPhone for a multitude of reasons other than it's just cool and a status symbol (certainly, some do for those reasons alone).
post #47 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDjinn View Post

For that matter, Motorola might've just given Apple a great idea--start selling a hot pink iPhone for the "Princess demographic".

It's not necessary. There's a case for that.

About the white colour, every iPod/iPhone comes with white earphone...
The strategy of Motorola at that ad would be OK if people didn't know the iPhone. But everyone knows it, unlike knowing the Droid. So, for me the ad says, if you want to recognize our Droid phones, just look for the ugliest products on the market
post #48 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by allotrope View Post

It's a good Ad, will be interesting to see how Apple responds.

It's nice to see Motorola talk about the Droid speed as racehorse duct taped to a "Scud missile" fast.

WTH?!

Let's see... Scud missile made by USSR, used on Americans by Iraq during Desert Thunder / Desert Storm...

Apple should come back with a commercial touting the "Scud was a Dud!" and our iPhone is Patriot missile fast... then show a Patriot missile blowing a Scud missile out of the air!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T68K3Twrm20

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

post #49 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Make a better product, advertise it on its merits, etc. Let the consumer do the rest.

Apple used to do this with their "I'm a Mac, I'm a PC" ads. Now Justin Long just stands there watching PC unveil the next negative attack ad on Windows. Microsoft, however, is now extolling all the cool things you can do with WIndows 7. Whether you like their ads or not, at least they're positive and selling capabilities rather than going negative. Apple should hire Microsoft's ad agency.
post #50 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenburg View Post

Apple used to do this with their "I'm a Mac, I'm a PC" ads. Now Justin Long just stands there watching PC unveil the next negative attack ad on Windows. Microsoft, however, is now extolling all the cool things you can do with WIndows 7. Whether you like their ads or not, at least they're positive and selling capabilities rather than going negative. Apple should hire Microsoft's ad agency.

Totally agree.
post #51 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentec View Post

Think truck and beer advertisements and it's easy to see the masters of this kind of advertising.

but in that truck and beer ads you can usually see some hot chicks, too.
post #52 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

If your product can't unseat the competition, just call them gay or something.

Smooth.

Just like in politics- huh?

Or call them stupid- like Justin Long's been calling PC for years. See it hurts when the shoe is on the other foot-no?
post #53 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"It's not a princess, it's a robot," the commercial says of the Droid.

A second tv ad commercial Apple can do...

When we think robot, we think machine...

When we think machine, we think of a "Out of Order!" sign hanging from it...

Then show the clip of "Spaceballs" where Rick Moranis character complains that "Even in the future, nothing works!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LA1JEOxF3hw

post #54 of 329
PURELY a PUNK MOVE by Motorola.
post #55 of 329
Quote:

Haha yea I'm a pc ads. Those are awesome, but remember they are not sexist, they just pick on stuffy business dudes that don't keep their promises. That is acceptible in the society, at least much more so then sexism.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
post #56 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicv View Post

The one that provide a good product is the one that focus on doing its own thing... not criticize competitors product...

Again, everyone keeps mentioning this. Apple does this with their iPhone ads, just focusing on it's capabilities and the cool things it can do. But unfortunately has taken a wrong turn with their Mac ads.

Without the iPhone companies wouldn't even know to create a phone like this, let alone advertise it!
post #57 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryb View Post

It is obvious this add is aimed at young men (boys) 14 to 21 that haven't realized their inner fantasy is to marry a beauty queen someday. The rough and tough graphics with plenty of things that "blow up real good" is perfect imagery for these guys. In a funny way this ad is more about style over substance than any of the iPhone ads have been. You don't really get to see the phone until the final seconds and guess what it looks like the iPhone or many of the clones out there already. This is a lifestyle fantasy ad and does nothing to inform us on the advantages of the Droid other than its a guy phone that wont emasculate you when you are asking your mom what she is making for dinner.

If I was Steve, I'd take my iPhone, call one of the most ferocious feminist groups, and let them crucify Motorola for being sexist!!
post #58 of 329
Only a queen could call out a princess. So I wonder who came up with this add and to him/ her I'd say DANGER! you will probably get mugged while carrying your iphone ( you know you own one, admit it) thanks to the perception you helped create.

Homophobia in advertising... That had to be a new low; Motorola couldn't come up with anything better, other than an insult. Good Job, Im sure individuals of questionable intelligence will buy the droid.
turtles all the way up and turtles all the way down... infinite context means infinite possibility
turtles all the way up and turtles all the way down... infinite context means infinite possibility
post #59 of 329
Quote:

Again, everyone keeps mentioning this. Apple does this with their iPhone ads, just focusing on it's capabilities and the cool things it can do. But unfortunately has taken a wrong turn with their Mac ads.

Without the iPhone companies wouldn't even know to create a phone like this, let alone advertise it!

Well there is no need to attack when you're on top.

But when you're on the bottom trying to unseat someone you attack- go negative.
post #60 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajavila85 View Post

Oh man... Thems is fightin words!!! I guess motorola is just jealous cuz he can't have an iphone!!! Cuz then they'd know the truth!!! Lolz!!!

And Verizon too! They are just poor monkeys who haven't got their share of banana
post #61 of 329
Quote:

Desperation.

Can you blame Motorola? Their future depends on this... and if you were in their position, you too would be throwing the kitchen sink at Apple.

Personally, I think these commercials are lame, but for Motorola's sake, I hope this recent marketing blitz is successful. I sure hope whatever they've sold offsets the money they have thrown at this.
post #62 of 329
Sort of reminds me of the ads against President Obama during McCain's campaign that compared candidate Obama to the superficial celebrity Britney Spears type. That worked out really well for McCain didn't it?
post #63 of 329
907 4 |).-0i7?
57i|_|_ /<4|\\|7.

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

post #64 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by estolinski View Post

Ya, but uh - well, my iPhone is black. That's still masculine, right?

Of course it is!
This ad is BS. One of teh most ridicule ads I've ever watched \
Besides, it sheer sexism!
post #65 of 329
the current design has served the consumer masses well, all the 14-21 year olds. Time for a business B-Phone. That's what the Droid and Blackberry are aimed at, and what the advertising is trying to point out. And one size fits all, great so far. but the competition is (just) starting to catch up.
post #66 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajavila85 View Post

Oh man... Thems is fightin words!!! I guess motorola is just jealous cuz he can't have an iphone!!! Cuz then they'd know the truth!!! Lolz!!!

I wonder who still thinks Apple and Verizon will be teaming up for the next iPhone. Im sure there are some saucer eyed Verizon fans that expect a 64GB LTE iPhone to pop up next summer.

Quote:

This is hilarious. It's basically a schoolboy 'you're gay' comment at the iPhone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Sure didn't take long to reach the bottom of that barrel. I find this kind of offensive. They might as well write "The iPhone is Gay" right across the screen.
BTW - Isn't it kind of a questionable advertising tactic to piss off one of the largest demographics buying smartphones today, i.e - young women?

Quote:

If your product can't compete, just call the competition gay or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentec View Post

If you can't compete on merit, try to position the competition in a negative way.

Marketing is marketing. You dont pull punches unless its good for business. As its been pointed out, its using deep rooted perceptions to move a product. I think its a great ad from start to finish but it does make me wonder if they run out of positive talking points to be going down this road already. Its one thing to imply its a "guys guy phone its another to incinerate that if you use an iPhone you have a vagina (hyperbole for an attempt at comedy).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

And moto says looks don't matter. Pretty much that was the only selling point of that phone.

What is sad about the Droid is that Verizon sent it back saying it was too square and not appealing for women, yet this is the result for a more elegant phone for men and women. Makes sense they are marketing it toward young men. The odd thing is you have to be geeky enough to want it for its OS and styling yet not intelligent enough to know that the iPhone is faster, has a better OS and can do a lot more with a simple jailbreak. Of course, for those who cant or wont move from Verizon its the best choice out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronsullivan View Post

It would be more effective if the Droid WAS faster. It is not faster than the 3GS according to testing I've seen.
It does multitask better... but, scientifically, isn't that a more feminine trait? har-har.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

LOL you need to get some taste.

iFail has a point. The Moto Razr was a phone design that everyone gawked at when it came out. Super thin with laser etched numbers. It didnt matter that it wasnt the best at making calls, neither was the iPhone. Of course, the iPhone has a lot more substance than the RAZR ever did but the sexiness was there and people were buying them. The problem is that Moto couldnt evolve their product to make it viable in the long run. Can they now?
post #67 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Even the 5mpx camera has shown to have worse images than the 3Mpx camera in the 3GS, though that may have been to the odd rolling camera bug that was found.

My cousin has a Sony Ericsson with an 8MP camera, yet the pictures are lame! My Nokia does a better job with its 3MP camera! It's not only a question of MP, but also the image processor and much more...
post #68 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Can you blame Motorola? Their future depends on this... and if you were in their position, you too would be throwing the kitchen sink at Apple.

Personally, I think these commercials are lame, but for Motorola's sake, I hope this recent marketing blitz is successful. I sure hope whatever they've sold offsets the money they have thrown at this.

Look at all the money Apple threw at Justin Long and still only has 10%.
post #69 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Just like in politics- huh?

Or call them stupid- like Justin Long's been calling PC for years. See it hurts when the shoe is on the other foot-no?

Portraying PCs as square and uncool is one thing . . . going the homophobia route because your device isn't the Great iPhone Killer you said it was, is a totally different scenario.

And trying to beat Apple at the marketing game is like trying to shoot pool with a rope.
post #70 of 329
I had been very impressed with Verizon's ad campaign so far. Really hit AT&T where it hurts with a very true ad you couldnt argue with.

This ad is the opposite. Back to random, indefensible emotional statements. In this case its worse, it offends many more people than it impresses.

If offends iPhone owners. Not a good thing.
Offends women, offends non-teenages, offends business people.

Overall the ad offends everyone other than teenage boys who probably don't have the money anyway unless mommy or daddy get them a phone.

It is not the way to sell a large number of phones. Verizon is shooting themselves in the foot. This might be the end of Droid.
post #71 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Name me ONE company that isn't hypocritical

It's marketing/advertising -- deal with it

Mazda
post #72 of 329
Quote:

This is Motorola playing hardball using the homophobia card. They figure if it sticks a straight guy wouldn't be caught dead with an iPhone.

Droid is such a craptastic phone...cheap ass keyboard...I can't believe that is considered a plus in anyone eyes, also means the phone was never planned for an international market...Gold inlay? talk about late 80/90's cliche, I need a sweater vest, id bracelet with name engraved, a pair of SKIDs shorts, and some flip-down hi-tops...FAIL, looks cheap, feels even cheaper.

so bravo, since most 12-years in the U.S. will be signing up to a 2-year subsidized phone plan...muahahaha, Verizon is genius digging in to those deep pockets of tweenie boys! awesome strategy...please mum, sign me up for two years, I will take out the trash every week! Verizon's LONG term strategy is well...non-existent.

Let me stress, Verizon, your network blows, who cares if i have 3G coverage, if I can't surf and talk on the phone. Love those rural backwards 3G users, most can't afford dental care, why would they be buying a droid, let alone signing up on unlimited data plan for 2 years? See it's rather easy to throw stereotypes around.

Android is already fracturing, so good luck developers with 20+ versions of your same app. Getting paid for extra development, iDONT! The beauty of a closed system with a closed UI experience, priceless. Good luck with getting 50K apps that are not duplicates of the same app but for a different phone. LOL..

Seems the gayness verizon is talking about is...incredibly implementation, international compliant standards, incredible "chic" design, high-profitability, closed system for control over standards and designs.....Verizon and Droid, iDont want to be taken serious! This is why apple is eating your lunch and selling ya back the refuse.

These commercials prove that verizon and motorola have no strategy to go against the iphone or even at&t for that matter. Ah the beautiful inherent self-destruction of a poorly executed marketing plan...glorious...
post #73 of 329
Quote:

This says it all.
post #74 of 329
I'm not going to buy a Droid phone until it comes with a built-in switchblade. It also has to come with a chain to hook to my belt, so it won't fall out of my back pocket when I ride my Hawg. Until then, it's just another girly-man phone.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #75 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhar View Post

My cousin has a Sony Ericsson with an 8MP camera, yet the pictures are lame! My Nokia does a better job with its 3MP camera! It's not only a question of MP, but also the image processor and much more...

Sounds like my buddy who constantly brags about his Pre's ability to multitask. I think it's hilarious that while it does multitask, the battery won't last much more than an hour when he does so. He's always touting the coolness of his phone while he sits frantically next to the nearest electrical outlet... lol
post #76 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by c4rlob View Post

Sort of reminds me of the ads against President Obama during McCain's campaign that compared candidate Obama to the superficial celebrity Britney Spears type. That worked out really well for McCain didn't it?

Well he kinda looks Britneyish, smiling while shaking Ms. Salahi's hand.
post #77 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhar View Post

If I was Steve, I'd take my iPhone, call one of the most ferocious feminist groups, and let them crucify Motorola for being sexist!!

Those same feminist groups that came to the aid of Sarah Palin for the vitriolic attacks by some of those in the media and the Good 'Ole Boy politicians. Feminist groups have showed their true colors. They have lost all credibility in crusading against Sexism...

post #78 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Sounds like my buddy who constantly brags about his Pre's ability to multitask. I think it's hilarious that while it does multitask, the battery won't last much more than an hour when he does so. He's always touting the coolness of his phone while he sits frantically next to the nearest electrical outlet... lol

I have my iPhone plugged in all day at work, and.......?
post #79 of 329
Quote:

Well there is no need to attack when you're on top.

But when you're on the bottom trying to unseat someone you attack- go negative.

Did teckstud just concede that the Iphone is on top..

.....wow man I congratulate you on your progress...
post #80 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhetoric.assassin View Post

Droid is such a craptastic phone...cheap ass keyboard...I can't believe that is considered a plus in anyone eyes, also means the phone was never planned for an international market...Gold inlay? talk about late 80/90's cliche, I need a sweater vest, id bracelet with name engraved, a pair of SKIDs shorts, and some flip-down hi-tops...FAIL, looks cheap, feels even cheaper.

so bravo, since most 12-years in the U.S. will be signing up to a 2-year subsidized phone plan...muahahaha, Verizon is genius digging in to those deep pockets of tweenie boys! awesome strategy...please mum, sign me up for two years, I will take out the trash every week! Verizon's LONG term strategy is well...non-existent.

Let me stress, Verizon, your network blows, who cares if i have 3G coverage, if I can't surf and talk on the phone. Love those rural backwards 3G users, most can't afford dental care, why would they be buying a droid, let alone signing up on unlimited data plan for 2 years? See it's rather easy to throw stereotypes around.

Android is already fracturing, so good luck developers with 20+ versions of your same app. Getting paid for extra development, iDONT! The beauty of a closed system with a closed UI experience, priceless. Good luck with getting 50K apps that are not duplicates of the same app but for a different phone. LOL..

Seems the gayness verizon is talking about is...incredibly implementation, international compliant standards, incredible "chic" design, high-profitability, closed system for control over standards and designs.....Verizon and Droid, iDont want to be taken serious! This is why apple is eating your lunch and selling ya back the refuse.

These commercials prove that verizon and motorola have no strategy to go against the iphone or even at&t for that matter. Ah the beautiful inherent self-destruction of a poorly executed marketing plan...glorious...

LOOOLZZ!! hahahahahah!!!
Agree on everything you said man!!

I LMAO on that part: "......please mum, sign me up for two years, I will take out the trash every week! Verizon's LONG term strategy is well...non-existent...."
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Motorola suggests Apple's iPhone is feminine in latest TV spot