or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple adds 3.33GHz quad-core Mac Pro, 2TB hard drive upgrades

Apple adds 3.33GHz quad-core Mac Pro, 2TB hard drive upgrades

post #1 of 78
Apple has outfitted its Mac Pro desktop machines with a new 3.33GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon upgrade option, at a cost of $1,200, as well as 2TB hard drives for the Mac Pro and Xserve

The new, faster processor for the Mac Pro is offered in addition to the basic 2.66GHz quad-core, and the 2.93GHz Intel Xeon, which costs an extra $400. The new "Nehalem" Xeon processor-equipped Mac Pros debuted in March. They feature an updated system architecture that delivers twice the performance of the previous model, and start at a price that was $300 lower than its predecessor.

The 2.66GHz Quad-Core Mac Pro starts at $2,499, while the 8-core system with two 2.26GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon processors starts at $3,299. For comparison, adding two 2.93 GHz quad-core processors to the 8-core Mac Pro costs an additional $2,600.

Recent reports have suggested that Intel's new 6-core "Gulftown" processor could be headed to the Mac Pro in a future upgrade. The new Xeon processor is said to be nearly 50 percent faster than the current quad-core Xeons, while also using 50 percent less power.

Apple is also rumored to have short-term exclusive use of Intel's forthcoming i9 processor. The previous two Mac Pro lines also had similar exclusive arrangements with the chip maker.

Hundreds of dollars in savings on the Mac Pro line can be found in AppleInsider's Mac Pricing Guide:

Apple has also quietly introduced a 2TB option for the Mac Pro line, at a cost of $550 each, for a total potential capacity of 8TB. The hard drives are also available for the Xserve line of servers, which can now handle up to 6TB of internal storage.

Apple's Nehalem-based Xeon Xserves were introduced in April. They deliver an 89 percent improvement in performance per watt, and up to twice the overall performance of the previous models. Previously, the systems could be configured with up to 3TB of internal storage.
post #2 of 78
The Mac Pro needs a new set of graphics options much more than it needs new processors. It's embarrassing the way that it stands.
post #3 of 78
Sounds good & all, but I do gotta agree with @jukes!
Wish the MacBook Pro was more upgraded like this.
post #4 of 78
One can dream....

Maybe I can afford one of these in three years or so, but by that time new Mac Pros would probably be built into the human brain at birth. Maybe instead of human brain.

On a positive note though, this is a hell of a lot of processing power. New movies and video games moving to 1080p I guess we actually need some new hardware for developers to keep up.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
post #5 of 78
So now I can buy a MAC PRO (!) with a 3.33Ghz Quad CPU for $3,699?! WOW!!
And I even get 3GB of RAM (!) and a GeForce 120 !!

I am truly BLOWN AWAY </sarcasm>

post #6 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheff View Post

One can dream....

Maybe I can afford one of these in three years or so, but by that time new Mac Pros would probably be built into the human brain at birth. Maybe instead of human brain.

You do sound like you are in dire need for some brain transplant.
post #7 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nano_tube View Post

You do sound like you are in dire need for some brain transplant.

heh yea thanks for making fun of my misery of not being able to pay 3,000 for a machine of my dreams.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
post #8 of 78
a little roadmap having been published before wouldn't have done any harm.

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

post #9 of 78
I'd rather see the entry level Mac Pro come with an i7 processor. That would save $500 right there. The Xeon's are outrageous in price.

And while they are at it, better graphics cards would be nice too.
post #10 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheff View Post

heh yea thanks for making fun of my misery of not being able to pay 3,000 for a machine of my dreams.

You are welcome.
However, you can have a Mac Pro and a pretty good one.

Consider this: a Core i7 920, 12 GB of RAM, 1TB HD (or more), and a Geforce 9800GTX 512MB or a Radeon 4890 1GB (+ all the other stuff required: nice case, whisper quite power supply and fans, DVD-RW, etc). Install a RETAIL Mac OS X SL and run it NATIVELY so you can update directly from Apple (no hacks).

Cost? about $1,500US.

That is a far more powerful system than the entry Quad Mac Pro and costs $1,000US less.

You will be breaking Apple User License by installing Mac OS X on a non-apple PC, *BUT* you will not be stealing/pirating if you are buying a *retail* install DVD of SL.

I am running a Hackintosh and it works like a dream. I am using it because like you, I did not had enough money to replace my aging G5 PowerMac with a new Mac Pro.

If you are interested I can show you where to start and believe me, it is faaaaar easier than you might think.
post #11 of 78
By the way, you can always get a GTX285 now for the mac pro. In any case, it makes no sense to buy one of these now with the newer fater models probably a few months away although I would expect the initial prices to be quite high for the best models. Also why on earth would anyone pay $500 for a 2TB drive from apple when you can get the same or better drive (WD black 2TB) or even the new segate sata 600 one for no more than $300?
{2010 Mac Pro-6 core 3.33-12gb 1333 ram-ati5870-velociraptor 600's-SL/win7/64-Konnekt Live/Onkyo-Dell3007wfp}
{2008 Mac Pro-8 core 3.2's-16GB-evga285} {MBP17}{ipad}{iphone 4 blk16gb}
{2010 Mac Pro-6 core 3.33-12gb 1333 ram-ati5870-velociraptor 600's-SL/win7/64-Konnekt Live/Onkyo-Dell3007wfp}
{2008 Mac Pro-8 core 3.2's-16GB-evga285} {MBP17}{ipad}{iphone 4 blk16gb}
post #12 of 78
These Mac Pro's are too overpriced for what you get. Apple needs to show their desktops some love and attention.
They're leaving too big a price gap. A price gap that is being exploited by Hackintoshes.

Using an i7 and saving $500 off of the low end Mac Ppo price bBrings it in line with the iMac, with a 27" screen included. The value equation is wrong here. I know the iMac procesor is less powerful but it's still an area that Apple needs to look at.

Apple can't be using cannabalizing of laptop of iMac sales as a justification. They are two different markets.
Make it idiotproof and they'll just make a
better idiot.
better idiot.
post #13 of 78
I did just that Nano Tube. My HAckintosh has been workign like a charm since September. I paid a little more but I'm in Canada. It took me more time to build my PC than to install the OS. Since then "It's just worked"
better idiot.
better idiot.
post #14 of 78
I never understood why anyone would buy Apple RAM or HD's. $500/ drive is outrageous. LOL Why does Apple do this? Even companies would rather have their techs buy drives and RAM 3rd party.
turtles all the way up and turtles all the way down... infinite context means infinite possibility
turtles all the way up and turtles all the way down... infinite context means infinite possibility
post #15 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by spliff monkey View Post

I never understood why anyone would buy Apple RAM or HD's. $500/ drive is outrageous. LOL Why does Apple do this? Even companies would rather have their techs buy drives and RAM 3rd party.

I never did until my last MBP. The price was about $20 more Apples 4GB RAM upgrade over getting 4GB from Newegg. They seem to really come down on their RAM prices. They are still more than HP and Dell, but not my much. Overall, for the upgrade I got is the right choice.

Granted, I didnt get to keep the old 2GB but I would have never used it and this gives me a 3 year warranty from Apple. Also, ive had problems with 3rd-party RAM before. Not often and could always return it, but that can be a problem. Ive never had a single problem with Apples RAM.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #16 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nano_tube View Post

You are welcome.
However, you can have a Mac Pro and a pretty good one.

Consider this: a Core i7 920, 12 GB of RAM, 1TB HD (or more), and a Geforce 9800GTX 512MB or a Radeon 4890 1GB (+ all the other stuff required: nice case, whisper quite power supply and fans, DVD-RW, etc). Install a RETAIL Mac OS X SL and run it NATIVELY so you can update directly from Apple (no hacks).

Cost? about $1,500US.

That is a far more powerful system than the entry Quad Mac Pro and costs $1,000US less.

You will be breaking Apple User License by installing Mac OS X on a non-apple PC, *BUT* you will not be stealing/pirating if you are buying a *retail* install DVD of SL.

I am running a Hackintosh and it works like a dream. I am using it because like you, I did not had enough money to replace my aging G5 PowerMac with a new Mac Pro.

If you are interested I can show you where to start and believe me, it is faaaaar easier than you might think.

That's interesting. Care to enlighten me, please?
post #17 of 78
The MacPro line is going to die.

What the heck is this speed bump? It's about nothing.

Remember when the PowerMac's sold like hotcakes because of the awesome Dual G5 processors in them?

Yea it was basically two computers in one box, Virginia Tech even made a supercomputer out of them that got third place in the world. Video rendering made work farms, geek consumers went nuts with all that power, 3D game developers took out ads in all the Mac related magazines. (then the processor switch bomb dropped of course)

That Dual G5 was so fast for it's time, with a fast bus on each processor that one can run two 3D video games at once. I know I had one, my wallet is still sore from that choice.

Ok, now given that you know that people buy based upon the price for performance, what the heck is a measly 8 core MacPro with common Intel processors going to do when Intel releases the 40 core, 80 core and 100 core processors? as early as NEXT YEAR!

Are these going into Apple's vertical one size fits all consumer Mac's lineup?

Hell NO!! Too expensive and specialized for all that power.

These awesome processors are going into specialty PC boxes for the video industry and that means Windows and the 3rd party software will follow. Even Apple most likely already has their video software running on Windows just as a precaution.

Goodbye MacPro. Goodbye any left of the pro's using Apple's gear and perhaps their software, they will have to follow the processor power. Because time = money and more processor power the better.

This is Apple's problem, a limited product line. They should be much more flexible.

The X-server is not even worth buying now that they use common Intel processors like anyone else, the X-RAID IS GONE! POOF!

The MacPro is next to be gone. Bye Bye!

Apple changed their name from Apple Computer for a reason, they are no longer a "computer" company, but rather a consumer electronics product company.

Apple makes stuff that sometimes can be used in business and enterprise, like the G5's or the iPhone, but Apple doesn't specialize in that market, favoring the consumer market instead.

Now unless Apple changes up and makes OS X run on these huge core processors and offers special order MacPro's with them, kiss the MacPro use amongst most power needing professionals goodbye.

It would be a radical change from Apple's limited vertical product line, a much needed change.

You have to go with the flow and Apple likes to force it's way.
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
post #18 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

a little roadmap having been published before wouldn't have done any harm.

Yeah, it would. Apple doesn't do roadmaps.

Daniel Swanson

Daniel Swanson

post #19 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Remember when the PowerMac's sold like hotcakes because of the awesome Dual G5 processors in them?

Yea it was basically two computers in one box, Virginia Tech even made a supercomputer out of them that got third place in the world.

That Dual G5 was so fast for it's time, with a fast bus on each processor that one can run two 3D video games at once.

Ok, now given that you know that people buy based upon the price for performance, what the heck is a measly 8 core MacPro with common Intel processors going to do when Intel releases the 40 core, 80 core and 100 core processors?

These awesome processors are going into specialty PC boxes for the video industry and that means Windows and the 3rd party software will follow. Even Apple most likely already has their video software running on Windows just as a precaution.

Goodbye MacPro. Goodbye any left of the pro's using Apple's gear, they will have to follow the processor power.

This is Apple's problem, a limited product line. They should be much more flexible.

The X-server is not even worth buying now that they use common Intel processors like anyone else, the X-RAID IS GONE! POOF!

Apple changed their name from Apple Computer for a reason.

Good job at being totally wrong.

Daniel Swanson

Daniel Swanson

post #20 of 78
As much as I have no desire to get a MacPro ever, and am actually considering a 27" iMac, I'm starting to get on the side of the mid-tower or i7 folks. I think having a headless option at $1500-1800 would do a lot to help the range at this point. But, for those that will do anything to save $300, you will always be stuck fighting off Hackintoshes.
post #21 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post

Good job at being totally wrong.

Good job at telling me I'm totally wrong without giving your views why.

Your reply is nothing more than a troll, are you trolling?

Because you can be ignored. :cool:
post #22 of 78
Quote:

Yea it was basically two computers in one box, Virginia Tech even made a supercomputer out of them that got third place in the world. Video rendering made work farms, geek consumers went nuts with all that power, 3D game developers took out ads in all the Mac related magazines. (then the processor switch bomb dropped of course)

That Dual G5 was so fast for it's time, with a fast bus on each processor that one can run two 3D video games at once. I know I had one, my wallet is still sore from that choice.

Ok, now given that you know that people buy based upon the price for performance, what the heck is a measly 8 core MacPro with common Intel processors going to do when Intel releases the 40 core, 80 core and 100 core processors? as early as NEXT YEAR!

Goodbye MacPro. Goodbye any left of the pro's using Apple's gear and perhaps their software, they will have to follow the processor power. Because time = money and more processor power the better.

Apple changed their name from Apple Computer for a reason, they are no longer a "computer" company, but rather a consumer electronics product company.

Apple makes stuff that sometimes can be used in business and enterprise, like the G5's or the iPhone, but Apple doesn't specialize in that market, favoring the consumer market instead.

Now unless Apple changes up and makes OS X run on these huge core processors and offers special order MacPro's with them, kiss the MacPro use amongst most power needing professionals goodbye.

It would be a radical change from Apple's limited vertical product line, a much needed change.

Dude... that is not going to happen. Intel's 40core chips are not going to be in any consumer machines for soime time. It would be waaaaay to $$$ to even consider it. Only the very very high govt/ scientific community will be able to use these for number crunching etc.. yes the movie community and 3d studio render farms might get them as well, but those shops tend to have capital to purchase such tech. However I could be wrong. But I do not se Apple killing the MacPro at all.
post #23 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by B747 View Post

http://www.osx86project.org/
post #24 of 78
Quote:

the 40 core CPU's are custom made for research purposes. with current technology there is no way Intel can make a 40 core CPU and sell it at a price people are willing to pay
post #25 of 78
I have seen every top end Mac since the day they came out with the Mac II have a 'major upgrade' to the current offering ... always a short whole prior to a complete line up change. Buyer beware
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
post #26 of 78
Yes, I know the "xMac" has been beaten to death but hear me out. The last update we saw the processor(s) and memory get moved to a processor tray (i.e. daughter card) making it easy for Apple to have different CPU/memory configurations. The low-end model will have a single Core i7 with three memory slots and the high-end model will have dual Zeons with eight memory slots.

Apple doesn't even have to worry about the name because the low-end (i.e. xMac) will be the Mac Prosumer and the high-end will be the Mac Professional.
post #27 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by B747 View Post

Yep here is a very easy step by step....sort of a Hackintosh for dummies!
http://lifehacker.com/5351485/how-to...tart-to-finish

Tallest Skil:

"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."

Tallest Skil:

"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."

post #28 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by troberts View Post

Yes, I know the "xMac" has been beaten to death but hear me out. The last update we saw the processor(s) and memory get moved to a processor tray (i.e. daughter card) making it easy for Apple to have different CPU/memory configurations. The low-end model will have a single Core i7 with three memory slots and the high-end model will have dual Zeons with eight memory slots.

Apple doesn't even have to worry about the name because the low-end (i.e. xMac) will be the Mac Prosumer and the high-end will be the Mac Professional.

I hope you are right. I want an i7-powered headless Mac.
post #29 of 78
I've considered a Hackintosh for my personal computer. The only problem is that, for every software update, you need to:
  • Wait to find out whether it breaks Hackintoshes or not (do research on related websites/blogs/forums/IRC channels/etc)
  • If it does break Hackintoshes, then you need to wait until someone's found a workaround for the issue (again, watching related websites/blogs/forums/IRC channels/etc)
  • Potentially follow a highly technical set of steps to do the workaround in order to update
All of which requires a certain amount of time and effort which you may or may not have all the time.

So it's a tradeoff: if that couple hundred dollars you save initially means more to you than spending time doing research with every update, then go for it. For some of us, time is more important than saving a couple hundred bucks.

post #30 of 78
Mac Pros are comparably priced with their like kind from HP and others. You are paying for build quality and thus longevity. I have a rack stuffed with various Mac Pros and elderly G5s that still pull their weight. Failures are infrequent and when they happen Apple Care has taken care of the issue quickly and thus paid for itself.

I can't take the risk of using a home built system for a profit center in my facility. When I buy computers I buy the high end name brands like HP, IBM and Apple because they have the power, the durability and the support I need. I do have several home built PCs installed, but none of them perform a critical task. The business can run without them. the business can't run without my Macs. As long as the Mac Pro is made I will buy it.
post #31 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff66 View Post

I hope you are right. I want an i7-powered headless Mac.

After doing some research, I have found out that the quad-core Xeon 3500 processor in the Mac Pro is a Bloomsfield series i7. The 2.66ghz version sells for $290 on NewEgg. The 2.8ghz Lynnfield i7 in the iMac also sells for $290 on NewEgg.

What does this mean? Apple is completely gouging people who buy a quad-core Mac Pro. That machine should sell for at least $500 less than what its going for.

I'm going to do some serious soul-searching in the next couple of months. Do I really want a 27" iMac or do I build a Hackintosh? Option 3 would be to build the Hackintosh and if it doesn't work, I'll throw Windows 7 on it and use that for my video and photo stuff. At least Photoshop is 64-bit on Windows.
post #32 of 78
Intel Quad-Core Xeon 3.33 GHz Processor costs $1500.. Is this the right one? If so, seems like Apple has priced appropriately.. If not, oh well...

http://www.google.com/products/catal...wBA#ps-sellers
post #33 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I never did until my last MBP. The price was about $20 more Apple’s 4GB RAM upgrade over getting 4GB from Newegg. They seem to really come down on their RAM prices. They are still more than HP and Dell, but not my much. Overall, for the upgrade I got is the right choice.

Granted, I didn’t get to keep the old 2GB but I would have never used it and this gives me a 3 year warranty from Apple. Also, i’ve had problems with 3rd-party RAM before. Not often and could always return it, but that can be a problem. I’ve never had a single problem with Apple’s RAM.

You should be fine if you buy name brands of the same specs. I've never had a problem. But if it's only $20 difference, then that's fair enough.

Most internal desktop hard drives come with a 3 to 5 year warranty, and manufacturers seem to be honoring their warranties just fine, the few times I've needed it, they're prompt and easy to deal with. The convenience of going to Apple to deal with the manufacturer doesn't seem to be worth the ~$350 markup on the 2TB hard drives ($550 total for a second drive). Even assuming Apple uses enterprise drives (they don't seem to say that), that's still a $250 markup. Even if it's about the value of your time (pros usually have a high billing rate), servicing the drive yourself should take less time than bringing the machine in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypoluxa View Post

Dude... that is not going to happen. Intel's 40core chips are not going to be in any consumer machines for soime time. It would be waaaaay to $$$ to even consider it. Only the very very high govt/ scientific community will be able to use these for number crunching etc.. yes the movie community and 3d studio render farms might get them as well, but those shops tend to have capital to purchase such tech. However I could be wrong.

One minor issue with your comment, Mac Pro isn't a consumer machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff66 View Post

After doing some research, I have found out that the quad-core Xeon 3500 processor in the Mac Pro is a Bloomsfield series i7. The 2.66ghz version sells for $290 on NewEgg. The 2.8ghz Lynnfield i7 in the iMac also sells for $290 on NewEgg.

What does this mean? Apple is completely gouging people who buy a quad-core Mac Pro. That machine should sell for at least $500 less than what its going for.

I doubt Apple takes an i7 and sell it as a Xeon. That's Intel's doing. It's not necessarily the exact same chip, though it could be. The Xeons generally go through some additional testing even if they're from the same production line, they're rated for slightly wider operational temperatures and rated to use slightly less power too. I expect that maybe the Xeon supports ECC memory while the i7 might not - but I will look that up when I have more time.
post #34 of 78
We need a Mac Pro with desktop class CPUs. Xeons and the associated logic boards offer not much more for a lot more money. A single processor MP costs more than a dual processor MP did when first released 3+ years ago.
post #35 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by auxio View Post

I've considered a Hackintosh for my personal computer. The only problem is that, for every software update, you need to:
  • Wait to find out whether it breaks Hackintoshes or not (do research on related websites/blogs/forums/IRC channels/etc)
  • If it does break Hackintoshes, then you need to wait until someone's found a workaround for the issue (again, watching related websites/blogs/forums/IRC channels/etc)
  • Potentially follow a highly technical set of steps to do the workaround in order to update
All of which requires a certain amount of time and effort which you may or may not have all the time.

So it's a tradeoff: if that couple hundred dollars you save initially means more to you than spending time doing research with every update, then go for it. For some of us, time is more important than saving a couple hundred bucks.

Simple solution:

If your time is worth that much then buy from Apple.
If you rush to install every update before seeing any feedback on it then buy from Apple.

If you can follow instructions, have another device to access the internet and can afford a little computer down time then a hackintosh may be for you. It'll be more effort, but the up front saving is typically in the $1000-1500 range.

Need more evidence directly from Apple? Try to configure a Mac Pro that matches the Core i7 iMac in features and performance.

iMac $2200
Mac Pro $2500 plus upgraded CPU, Radeon 4870, 1TB HD, 27" IPS display = approx. $4800

So PCI slots and drive bays (two things that are free in the PC world) plus ECC RAM and the dubious differences between a mainstream CPU and a Xeon cost $2600!!

Apple doesn't offer a prosumer tower because it would cost them a lot of profit. There will never be an xMac.
post #36 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by auxio View Post

That was a huge problem with some of the earliest hacks, but from what I understand the Hackintosh community has for the most part moved on from that. They've got a bootloader now that will allow one to use a retail copy of Leopard or Snow Leopard.

The only update since that has broken anything, as far as I know, is 10.6.2 when Apple removed support for the Atom processor causing the Hackintosh netbooks to die. If you use components similar to Apple's, I really can't see Apple breaking your setup without really going out of their way to do so. Not that they wouldn't, but there'd be a lot of noise about it even here well beforehand.

Anyway, I don't know why you're so crazy about updating as soon as possible. On my Macs I've had some trouble in the past with updating day of. Apple isn't perfect with its own hardware. I tend to wait a few days and see if that ominous article headline "Mac OS 10.x.x update killing the bunnyMacs" shows up before clicking update.

Seriously, a five day wait and perhaps ten seconds of reading headlines. Given a fair amount of updates, we're looking at two or three minutes of work for the life of the machine.
post #37 of 78
Quote:

The reason Mac Pros cost so much is because media companies are the ones buying these because they are the ones who don't worry so much about the price. Why lower the price when they are selling "like hot-cakes" to companies like Pixar and Dreamworks who do very complex Animated Movies on the Mac Pros.
post #38 of 78
Hi All.

I have been reading the posts here and I want to help clear some questions and assumptions.

1. OS X Updates: if a hackintosh is installed with a Retail version of OS X (mainly SL) and the hardware does not include an Atom processor (netbook), then there is no issues. It's just like updating a regular Mac. Here are two nice guides on how to do it: Lifehacker , teknojunkie
Also, just type "hackintosh" in YouTube... a lot of videos and visual guides can be found there.

2. How does a retail version of OS X works on a hackintosh?
If the hardware of the hackintosh is supported by OS X, then the only remaining issue left is how does OS X communicate with this hardware when it boots. As you know, PCs use a BIOS system while Macs use the more advanced EFI. So what is needed is some sort of software that "translates" to OS X what the BIOS says (in human terms, it's like translating from Chinese to English). This translation software is called "Boot Loader" and the best (by far) on the scene is called Chameleon. Additionally, like Boot Camp, this software also allows multiple OSs to be installed on the Hackintosh. I have it installed on mine and I am running OS X and Windows 7. It is also a graphical boot loader so it is dead easy to use. You install it like you install every other Mac program.

3. Updates in general: if you installed a retail Mac OS X, you update just like a normal mac - via the Apple Update Application or by downloading a combo update. However, as any Mac user out there, it is wise to wait a day or two before you do any update on a Mac or a Hackintosh. A good place to read news about everything-hackintosh is here: Insanely Mac.

Bottom line: most of the people reading about hackintoshes for the first time think "Meh... it's too complicated" and as Mac users are (including me), we want it to just work when we buy it. Well, it is not difficult to build a hackintosh if you just follow the guides. Last but not least, it is a lot of fun to build one.

My "HackPro" is running on:
Intel Quad 6600 2.4Ghz CPU
Intel DragonTail Motherboard with on-Board LAN and Sound (just like a Mac)
8 GB DDR2 800Mhz RAM
GeForce 9800GTX+ 512MB
Two 320GB SATA HDs
DVD-RW SATA
Nice Thermaltake black case with quite fans and power supply.
Mac OS Leopard 10.5.8 that identifies my HackPro as "Mac Pro 2,1"

A machine like this today will cost under $1,000 and trust me, it flies!
Boots under 15 seconds and works great with all the pro apps.
post #39 of 78
Quote:

Good job at telling me I'm totally wrong without giving your views why.

Your reply is nothing more than a troll, are you trolling?

Because you can be ignored. :cool:

As if your certainty of being right depends on me telling you why you're wrong. Hah.

Daniel Swanson

Daniel Swanson

post #40 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

There is no such thing as Apple RAM. Its made by Samsung. At least every stick I have ever seen since going intel has been made by Samsung.

You read Apple RAM and didnt understand that I meant RAM supplied by, tested, installed and warrantied by Apple?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

You should be fine if you buy name brands of the same specs. I've never had a problem. But if it's only $20 difference, then that's fair enough.

At first I didnt buy the additional RAM. I stuck with the 2x1GB. Went to Frys and got 2x2GB Patriot RAM. It had good timing and latency, was rated well and was fairly inexpensive.It

didnt work. I thought ti was faulty and took it back for two more sticks. Same thing. It had now been about 3 weeks but I called up an Apple Store, talked to a manager and they agreed to put in their RAM for the at-time-of-purchase price. No problems.

PS: With the next Macs waiting may be advised to see if Apple has reversed their wonky SATA connection that is making many a 3rd-party drives not work. Who knows what they are doing but a HDD is the one piece of HW in a computer that should be truly universal.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple adds 3.33GHz quad-core Mac Pro, 2TB hard drive upgrades