or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple's iMac, MacBook Pro top U.S. October PC sales

Apple's iMac, MacBook Pro top U.S. October PC sales

post #1 of 57
Apple had the top-selling desktop and notebook for the month of October, as its new iMac and the 13-inch MacBook Pro outsold all competitors in the U.S.

According to new data from the NPD Group, as told to CNet, Apple took advantage of a down month for PCs, as most hardware manufacturers were looking to clear their existing inventory before the launch of Windows 7 late in the month.

The new 21.5-inch iMac was the best-selling desktop machine for October, while the 27-inch model reportedly came in third.

In addition, the entry-level $1,199 MacBook Pro was the top-selling notebook. In fact, Apple took four of the top 10 positions in U.S. for notebook sales, securing 8th, 9th and 10th place.

Full details on the month's sales, such as actual numbers, were not provided. But last month, AppleInsider had a glimpse at Apple's strong October, and what it could mean for the rest of the quarter as 2009 comes to a close.

Last month, it was revealed that Mac sales were up 7 percent year-over-year for the month of October. That month is traditionally Apple's toughest segment of the fourth quarter of the calendar year.

Mac sales were estimated to be up a whopping 45 percent year-over-year in October, bolstered by the introduction of Apple's newly redesigned iMac. The strong month has led to predictions of 2.9 million Macs sold for the quarter, a 14 percent increase from 2008.

Last quarter, Apple had its best three-month frame ever, recording sales of 3 million Macs. That helped to boost profits 46 percent to $1.67 billion for the September frame.
post #2 of 57
GO APPLE! Job well done.
Now if you had matte too - you would have sold even more.

edit : (I thought this was for November- that is the month that should tell much more).
post #3 of 57
Nice work, Apple. But hardly surprising.
post #4 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Oh you're right - that was for Oct not Nov.
Windows 7 had not been released for a week.
post #5 of 57
Congratulations Apple

It brings into clear focus why Mr. Balmer & Mr Gates are being given less than an easy ride at shareholders meetings. If some of the current news tips are to be factual then we may be seeing only some of the Ice burg .
post #6 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Oh you're right - that was for Oct not Nov.
Windows 7 had not been released for a week.

Except that MS has completely lost control of the Premium end of the market. MS can sell substatially more PCs to an ever-expanding bottom market while Apple continues to dominate the $1000+ segment. And the Premium end continues to expand.
post #7 of 57
Not a big surprise. Apple notebooks are taking the top 3 out of the first 4 bestseller spots in Amazon and the top 3 in the desktop bestseller. This is just an indication and the actual figures will be more interesting.
post #8 of 57
I am SO happy with my iMac i7. Wheeeeee! Ordered Nov 16.
post #9 of 57
To be fair, there are very few Apple models and very many generic ones. But still, that's great news for Apple (even though, as others have said, Amazon stats have been saying this for months).
post #10 of 57
The best products deserve to be the chart-toppers.

Fuck netbooks.
"Stay hungry, stay foolish."
"Stay hungry, stay foolish."
post #11 of 57
Quote:

Except that MS has completely lost control of the Premium end of the market. MS can sell substatially more PCs to an ever-expanding bottom market while Apple continues to dominate the $1000+ segment. And the Premium end continues to expand.

"completely lost"? That's a bit extreme- we haven't really seen anything as it relates to Win 7 yet.
post #12 of 57
Apple is DOOMED! (Who owns the trademark?)
post #13 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Apple is DOOMED! (Who owns the trademark?)

YAWN- more like Microsoft is doomed. don't you own that trademark?
post #14 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cascadians View Post

I am SO happy with my iMac i7. Wheeeeee! Ordered Nov 16.

Still waiting for it???
post #15 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

And yet another 10% hit on stock this week. Go figure. Weren't we suppose to be getting closer to 250.00?

last Friday closing price was about $200.. $7 out of $200 is 10%?! excellent math skills if I might say. Beside, how much the stock moves within a week or so is irrelevant since the long term trend is up. As long as Apple keep breaking their sales records the stock will take care of itself in the long run.
post #16 of 57
Quote:

Agreed, I'm getting the feeling the PC manufacturers are being 'hampered' by having to include MS's idea of an OS.
post #17 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

last Friday closing price was about $200.. $7 out of $200 is 10%?! excellent math skills if I might say. Beside, how much the stock moved within a week or irrelevant since the trend is up in the long run. As long as Apple keep breaking their sale records the stock will take care of itself in the long run.

Smack!
post #18 of 57
Quote:

last Friday closing price was about $200.. $7 out of $200 is 10%?! excellent math skills if I might say. Beside, how much the stock moves within a week or so is irrelevant since the long term trend is up. As long as Apple keep breaking their sales records the stock will take care of itself in the long run.

Well, the recent moves in AAPL are pretty odd relative to the market. For the month, AAPL is up .63% after announcing the best quarter ever, and the dow is up 6%! The trading action in AAPL is beyond me; bears really trying to push it down with large volume trades as best I can tell...
post #19 of 57
Apple imagine how your sales would have sky rocketed if with minimum effort you could include a matte / anti glare option, that about 50% or more people seem to be so keen on by most accounts.
post #20 of 57
I'd be totally impressed if this means in terms of dollars. More impressed if it's units. But couldn't tell from the story which it is for sure. Anyone?
Emailing video from iPhone to Apple TV , sort of..
post #21 of 57
Quote:

Actually, Microsoft never had any control over what end of the Windows PC market it will dominate because they don't sell PCs. They sell an OS which by its nature costs the same whether it's installed in a $350 POS or a $2000 gaming rig. What's driving Windows into becoming the OS for the bottom end is the intense competition among the PC makers. The only way Microsoft can establish an upmarket presence is to get the PC manufacturers to stop competing on prices --which will summon the antitrust dogs faster than you can boot up Windows 7.

So Windows is destined to inhabit the lower-priced, low-margin* end of the market and Apple would be foolish to listen to people who are advocating that they extend their product reach downwards into Windows territory. Why would they want to do that when they have the very lucrative luxe end of the market all to themselves?

*That would be low-margin for the PC maker, not MS.
post #22 of 57
Quote:

I find it somewhat surprising.

1) The entry level 13 MBP was the best selling notebook yet Apple had just released the new unibody MB with same specs as the entry level MBP (in fact it had a larger HDD). The difference of $250 (with upgrade HDD) would still have pushed to the entry-level MBP but Im still surprised the new MBs didnt fair better. Maybe their up-selling is working out for them.

2) The 13 MBP took first place among all notebooks. Even if this doesnt include netbooks there are still a lot $400 notebooks out there. Then again they change model numbers as often as Teckstud changes what he meant to say. November should prove to be a very different story with Win7.

3) What was at positions number 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7 for notebooks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

I'd be totally impressed if this means in terms of dollars. More impressed if it's units. But couldn't tell from the story which it is for sure. Anyone?

Its units because they referred to best selling machines per category.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #23 of 57
Well that should cover the $21.5 million! But seriously what's up with the stock price? Just don't get it.
post #24 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Its units because they referred to best selling machines per category.

I'm still impressed but after thinking about it for more than 5 seconds I guess pc sales are spread across so many models it's not as direct a comparison as I was thinking. Still, just to outsell whatever Dell sells the most is impressive.
post #25 of 57
This is totally unsurprising as the new iMac was just release and PCs were winding down for Windows 7. Of course fanboys and stockholders will spin and spin it.
post #26 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

I'm still impressed but after thinking about it for more than 5 seconds I guess pc sales are spread across so many models it's not as direct a comparison as I was thinking. Still, just to outsell whatever Dell sells the most is impressive.

If current trends continue well see Apple outpace Dell in unit sales and MS in market cap within a few years. Of course, so many things could change in that time.
post #27 of 57
I love how people are trying to spin this as negative/not impressive.

Surely with Microsoft's huge market share (and Apple's figures, which let's face it, are a rounding error), even a weeks worth of sales of the new Windows 7 PCs would have beaten Apple off first place.

post #28 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by columbus View Post

I love how people are trying to spin this as negative/not impressive.

Surely with Microsoft's huge market share (and Apple's figures, which let's face it, are a rounding error), even a weeks worth of sales of the new Windows 7 PCs would have beaten Apple off first place.

Actually there was a story last week that the windows 7 installed base has already surpassed the entire Mac installed base
post #29 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

Actually there was a story last week that the windows 7 installed base has already surpassed the entire Mac installed base

Yes, but it was wrong.
post #30 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

Quote:

Yes, but it was wrong.

Right or wrong at this point, its gonna happen, just as Windows 7 will eventually surpass Dell, HP and everyone elses PC installed base.

I honestly dont get why an OS that is sold specifically for a PC brand is being compared to an OS that is being sold to every PC brand, even Macs. Sure, it sounds impressive until you think about for a nanosecond. Id use this for market reasons to combat the widely successful Get A Mac ads but for people on this forum who are tech hobbyists and professionals it simply makes no sense.
post #31 of 57
Quote:

You're right I was looking at the 52 week high. Guess I will have to wait until the end of next week to comment that is dropped 10%. Whats another week.

Hopefully enough time to to learn how the stock market works. Getting fearful of a drop or excited about a climb is silly.

Two adages worth knowing…
Quote:
The market is run on fear and greed.

Quote:
You never make or lose money in the market until you sell.
post #32 of 57
Quote:

Yes, but it was wrong.

The usual black marketing by microsoft, it's always shit shit shit, lies lies lies with these guys. It's embarrassing. And their various offspring commenting all over the internet...will they for just one minute stop talking out of their anuses for a change. Sure there's a lot of $$$ at stake, but just for one moment they should just give it a rest.
post #33 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

The usual black marketing by microsoft, it's always shit shit shit, lies lies lies with these guys. It's embarrassing.

I doubt it was MS who announced those figures if they turned out to be wrong.
post #34 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Right or wrong at this point, it’s gonna happen, just as Windows 7 will eventually surpass Dell, HP and everyone else’s PC installed base.

I honestly don’t get why an OS that is sold specifically for a PC brand is being compared to an OS that is being sold to every PC brand, even Macs. Sure, it sounds impressive until you think about for a nanosecond. I’d use this for market reasons to combat the widely successful Get A Mac ads but for people on this forum who are tech hobbyists and professionals it simply makes no sense.

The question is how long it will take Windows 7 to surpass XP not Mac OS.

In my opinion XP is causing MS many problems. Personally, there are 2 of 3 professional engineering programs I use still not compatible with Windows 7 therefore I am still stuck with XP (XP virtual mode won't work on Parallels).
post #35 of 57
Quote:

The question is how long it will take Windows 7 to surpass XP not Mac OS

That is a good point and viable metric worth measuring. Good news for Windows 7 is that IE 8 has now surpassed IE 7. The funny thing that IE 6 is still has pole position though I’d be surprised if that doesn’t change by the January results.
post #36 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

GO APPLE! Job well done.
Now if you had matte too - you would have sold even more.

edit : (I thought this was for November- that is the month that should tell much more).

Anti-Glare is available on more models now then every previously: 15" & 17" MacBook Pro and it remains available on the 30" monitor. Matte has a very limited use - print output exclusively. There is no equal under 5k that matches the 30" Apple Cinema Display. The 15" & 17" are great field substitutes.

The iMac has never been a professional workstation - though now it serves the video pro-end with the Quad Core - because there is far greater demand for video output versus print.
Science and technology multiply around us. To an increasing extent they dictate the languages in which we speak and think. Either we use those languages, or we remain mute.
J G Ballard
Science and technology multiply around us. To an increasing extent they dictate the languages in which we speak and think. Either we use those languages, or we remain mute.
J G Ballard
post #37 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

Apple imagine how your sales would have sky rocketed if with minimum effort you could include a matte / anti glare option, that about 50% or more people seem to be so keen on by most accounts.

AMEN to that brother!

Did you know I'm directly responsible for Steve bringing back the 15" matte MacBook Pro?

Yes sir, got in touch with him the weekend of the Monday he returned to Cupertino from his surgery. (how I did it is extremely classified as it involves the mans privacy and I promised to respect that)

He got out the matte 15" MacBook Pro a few weeks later. That's no sh*t neither.

Thank you Steve!

I just hoped he placed a nice shoe mark on Phil's "our customers love glossy" behind.

And I do so much like Phil too, but it's his job to be the marketing man and say something is great even when it's not, met him at the Miami Apple Store and we talked while I bought my PowerMac G5 so long ago. They still had those plastic screens then.

The reason I'm telling you this is because LCD makers have a cartel (just ask Nokia) and perhaps they are all colluding on not only on prices, but not including matte films on their screens anymore because it's a added expense and process. Why the matte option is $50 more perhaps?

Blame HP for bringing on glossy screens, they started this shiny screen business. Frigging printer people don't know squat about computers.

Getting matte screens may become impossible shortly, but what Apple COULD DO is sell matte film applied Mac's next to the glossy ones. If the customer wants a matte machine, the folks in the backroom could apply the film to a glossy machine before handing it over to the customer. This way Apple doesn't lose making too many of the wrong kind and doesn't lose a sale when the customer walks out because the only thing they saw on the screen was their ugly faces (or the overhead lights)

It's perhaps the best solution, as Apple is heavily dependent upon the PC market for parts.

I would tell Steve of this solution, but I promised. So you keep on petitioning, he is reading MacMatte finding out that it's the MacBooks especially that people are complaining about the lack of a matte option as notebooks are constantly moved to various enviroments where glare is uncontolled.

Perhaps maybe, computer makers via customers demand will force LCD makers back to the matte camp enough so there is enough supply for both options and a fair price.

I think Steve wants matte back too, he is nearsighted so he understands the problem people have with the glare, just he might be held hostage by the cheap LCD makers for the cheap PC market.
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
post #38 of 57
Quote:

You're right I was looking at the 52 week high. Guess I will have to wait until the end of next week to comment that is dropped 10%. Whats another week.

And, if it doesn't by the end of next Friday, can you just go away with tail between legs? Thanks.
post #39 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Getting matte screens may become impossible shortly, but what Apple COULD DO is sell matte film applied Mac's next to the glossy ones. If the customer wants a matte machine, the folks in the backroom could apply the film to a glossy machine before handing it over to the customer. This way Apple doesn't lose making too many of the wrong kind and doesn't lose a sale when the customer walks out because the only thing they saw on the screen was their ugly faces (or the overhead lights)

I've heard good things about Moshi iVisor AG for MB/MBP. Skim through this video. It looks easy to install and it is less than $50.
post #40 of 57
[QUOTE=solipsism;1530518]

2. Then again they change model numbers as often as Teckstud changes what he meant to say.

ROFLMAO
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple's iMac, MacBook Pro top U.S. October PC sales