or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Safari Freezing OS X

Safari Freezing OS X

post #1 of 2
Am on a Macbook unibody with 10.5.8. Great machine... at first.

2 - 3 times a week Safari completely freezes, if I'm lucky I can wait a few minutes and it will become unstuck. Though most of the time it just sits there, with the pinwheel icon spinning, I try to force quit, then the whole OS freezes....

So I then restart, and once I get to the desktop, everything loads fine then the OS freezes for 2-3 minutes before coming back to life. As if it still has to get over it's "hiccup".

It's driving me absolutely nuts. Have been a mac user for nearly 15 years now, and am carefuly not to install crappy plug-ins and unnecessary software. Why this laptop is randomly failing all the time is bloody annoying.

There is no way I can replicate this scenario, so taking it an Apple tech to have a look will most likely be a waste of time. And searching "Safari freezing" on google brings up far to much of generic response.

Anyone else had a problem like this?
post #2 of 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by quamb View Post

Am on a Macbook unibody with 10.5.8. Great machine... at first.

2 - 3 times a week Safari completely freezes, if I'm lucky I can wait a few minutes and it will become unstuck. Though most of the time it just sits there, with the pinwheel icon spinning, I try to force quit, then the whole OS freezes....

So I then restart, and once I get to the desktop, everything loads fine then the OS freezes for 2-3 minutes before coming back to life. As if it still has to get over it's "hiccup".

It's driving me absolutely nuts. Have been a mac user for nearly 15 years now, and am carefuly not to install crappy plug-ins and unnecessary software. Why this laptop is randomly failing all the time is bloody annoying.

There is no way I can replicate this scenario, so taking it an Apple tech to have a look will most likely be a waste of time. And searching "Safari freezing" on google brings up far to much of generic response.

Anyone else had a problem like this?

Flash is the most likely culprit. Until it's patched Click-to-Flash may tide you over.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Genius Bar
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Safari Freezing OS X