or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple acquires music streaming service Lala

Apple acquires music streaming service Lala

post #1 of 72
Sources inside Apple have confirmed that Apple has agreed to buy Lala, an online music streaming service based in Palo Alto, California.

Confirming earlier reports, sources inside Apple have confirmed that it has indeed acquired music streaming service Lala. The specific terms of the deal have not been released as of Friday evening.

According to reports by the New York Times, Lala had actively sought out Apple after Lala executives concluded that prospects for turning a profit in the short term were slim.

Lala allows its users to stream any song in its 8 million strong song library once, with the option for unlimited streaming at 10 cents per track and 79 cents for permanent MP3 download.

This acquisition would allow Apple to integrate full-song streaming into iTunes and opens up possibilities for Pandora-like streaming radio on anything that can run iTunes, including the iPhone, iPod Touch, and Mac systems.

In October, Lala, along with iLike, entered a partnership with Google to allow users to quickly discover song previews, artist info, pictures, video and more. Currently, Google searches for artists or songs can return a full, streaming, embedded song at the top of results, courtesy of Lala.

According to the AP, Lala founder Bill Nguyen had demonstrated an iPhone app in October which would have allowed users to buy streaming rights to a song for 10 cents each. Using "intelligent caching," it allowed tracks to load in seconds and allowed playback even in areas without cell phone coverage. This app was never released to the public.

Apple has a large war chest of nearly $31.1 billion in cash and investments, giving it the largest net-cash sum of any technology company.
post #2 of 72
Umm.... why not fold this update into the prior thread (let alone the dramatic red font).
post #3 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Umm.... why not fold this update into the prior thread (let alone the dramatic red font).

People who say "Umm...." repeatedly when they speak are hard to listen to.

I assume that, when people say "Umm...." it's not something that is consciously/intentionally said.

But why do some people type "Umm...." instead of just typing their question or statement?

I also assume that when someone types "Umm...." it is consciously/intentionally typed.
post #4 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCJ001 View Post

I assume that, when people say "Umm...." it's not something that is consciously/intentionally said.

But why do some people type "Umm...." instead of just typing their question or statement?

I also assume that when someone types "Umm...." it is consciously/intentionally typed.

I intentionally say OR type Umm, before I say OR write something sarcastic

Doh !
post #5 of 72
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffyzDead View Post

I intentionally say OR type Umm, before I say OR write something sarcastic

Doh !

Umm... I believe we should move on gentleman.

I'm interested to see what Apple does with this move. I personally won't pay a subscription for music but I'm hoping they have better plans.
MacBook Pro 17" Glossy 2.93GHz, iPad 64GB, iPhone 4 16GB, and a lot of other assorted goodies.

If you're a troll and you have been slain. Don't be a Zombie.
MacBook Pro 17" Glossy 2.93GHz, iPad 64GB, iPhone 4 16GB, and a lot of other assorted goodies.

If you're a troll and you have been slain. Don't be a Zombie.
post #6 of 72
10 cents each time I want to stream a song? WTF, why not just rob me. I can go to youtube and stream whatever I want for free. I hope Apple gets rid of the ridiculous 10 cent charge. I currently use last.fm and hearing this I wish apple bought them instead.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
post #7 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheff View Post

10 cents each time I want to stream a song? WTF, why not just rob me. I can go to youtube and stream whatever I want for free. I hope Apple gets rid of the ridiculous 10 cent charge. I currently use last.fm and hearing this I wish apple bought them instead.

It's not 10 cents EACH time you want to stream the song. It's ten cents once (per song) to be able to stream it as much as you want.
post #8 of 72
Quote:

Like others have stated, Its an easy way to convey a derisive tone. I think its quite effective, whcih it can be easily abused. \
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #9 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donathius View Post

It's not 10 cents EACH time you want to stream the song. It's ten cents once (per song) to be able to stream it as much as you want.

Oh, that is not that bad I guess. So just to clarify this is kinda like me buying this song, but it can only be accessed through the cloud? And if I want to get it to my ipod I pay the 79 cents more, or is it 69 cause I already paid the 10?
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
post #10 of 72
Quote:

For people who speak English (There are similar tools in your preferred language language), Umm and Ahh are used to prevent unintentionally relinquishing control of a conversation to another participant.

In this instant it is a little confusing as it isn't normally written and has no purpose in writing except for simulating a spoken conversation verbatim.

It's part of the media access control for spoken communication - akin to carrier sensing in ethernet/wifi.

People who umm and ahh also communicate their message better to their listeners.
Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-speakers.html
post #11 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by retroneo View Post

For people who speak English (There are similar tools in your preferred language language), Umm and Ahh are used to prevent unintentionally relinquishing control of a conversation to another participant.

In this instant it is a little confusing as it isn't normally written and has no purpose in writing except for simulating a spoken conversation verbatim.

It's part of the media access control for spoken communication - akin to carrier sensing in ethernet/wifi.

People who umm and ahh also communicate their message better to their listeners.

"Stay on target!" - from Star Wars A NEW HOPE

Err, topic!
post #12 of 72
The 10¢ cost per song seems reasonable to me, but hopefully theyll do a value added service by including this with iTunes Store audio purchases. But Apple is on top so there isnt much business reason to add this for free. C'est la vie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21-October-2009

Lala is unveiling the first and only free fully licensed service to instantly provide anywhere Web access to an existing music library such as iTunes. Replacing the outdated approach of uploading MP3 files from a PC, Lala introduces a licensed technology to instantly match songs from consumers personal music libraries with the Web-based catalog on lala.com.

Id really like Lalas unique aspects added so I hope this isnt just for the talent. For example, being able to go www.itunes.com, put in my account information and be able to play any of my songs from Apples servers to whatever browser Im using even though my PC with iTunes isnt being used after my library was updated. This may be how Apple is going to get iTunes to still be relevant on Chrome OS.
post #13 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by retroneo View Post

"Um...", when used in written communication, almost always denotes bemused, slightly comic confusion. Among the various verbal "ums", which can be simply a tick, a pause to gather ones thoughts, a way of prefacing a statement of disagreement, etc., the written "um" would most closely approximate that delivered with a raised eyebrow and would translate roughly as "Hold on there, I'm puzzled by what you mean." Which makes it an economical use of language.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #14 of 72
UmmmWTF? This about Lala and not about verbeage. This is great as an option to others including myself.

Apple needs to jump on the subscription bandwagon and the server farm in NC should help. Screw $.10/song and give me a model like the Zune. It may be crap but at least they got that part right.
post #15 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

UmmmWTF? This about Lala and not about verbeage. This is great as an option to others including myself.

Yeah. God forbid we talk about "verbeage."
post #16 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Yeah. God forbid we talk about "verbeage."

A big bowl every day keeps me regular. Oh, wait -- that's roughage.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #17 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

A big bowl every day keeps me regular. Oh, wait -- that's roughage.

Indigestible either way.
post #18 of 72
From the NY Times...

"Lala, unlike Apples iTunes, lets users play the music they own from the Web or in tech industry parlance, from the cloud. If Apple introduces its own cloud-based streaming music service, it would let people skip having to download music they buy or synchronize their music collection between their computers and mobile devices."

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/05/te...pple.html?_r=3

Time will tell.
post #19 of 72
- I think this is about Apple turning back Flash.

- (The Mac version of Flash is terrible. Flash is blocked from the iPhone.)

- Lala appears to be successfully running a great website on Flash.

- Apple will buy and convert Lala to HTML5.

So the question hanging is what other Flash based businesses will they buy?
post #20 of 72
What happens to the current LaLa users? Did Apple just swoop in and destroy some competition? Sounds a bit familiar. Who's that company everyone around here finds it so fashionable to slam... Applesoft? No that aint it...
post #21 of 72
Way to go Apple. If you can maintain the LaLa site as it is, and use the engineers for new Apple projects that would be great.
post #22 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

"Stay on target!" - from Star Wars A NEW HOPE

Err, topic!

It's just "Star Wars."
post #23 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

What happens to the current LaLa users? Did Apple just swoop in and destroy some competition? Sounds a bit familiar. Who's that company everyone around here finds it so fashionable to slam... Applesoft? No that aint it...

LaLa wasn't remotely competition, if that were Apple's game there were any number of more likely acquisition targets. In fact, I believe most stories are citing the fact that LaLa approached Apple after deciding they really couldn't make a go of it.

Apple was clearly interested in some particular technology, infrastructure or personnel, not snuffing a "competitor."
post #24 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

... Lala, unlike Apples iTunes, lets users play the music they own from the Web or in tech industry parlance, from the cloud. If Apple introduces its own cloud-based streaming music service, it would let people skip having to download music they buy or synchronize their music collection between their computers and mobile devices ....

It's also interesting int the context of re-downloading previously purchased items which has been a rumoured addition to iTunes for a while now.

Presumably if the services are blended, then everything previously purchased in iTunes would be purchased "for life" with streaming rights added on top. Once I own an album, I can download it anytime I want, put it on any machine I want, and stream it over the web anywhere I want. At least that's the ideal situation even if the reality is somewhat more restricted.

The sticky bit is the fine line between "streaming" and "performance." Music companies would have you believe (at least in the last few years), that playing a song on your stereo at a party, or a coffee shop owner that turns on the radio is engaging in a "performance," and requires you to send them money. Common sense and hundreds of years of history disagree, but it will be interesting to see how this is defined in the new setup.
post #25 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamw View Post

Free Christian Music

Advertisements in a forum signature are never welcome and violate standard "netiquette."
Religious promotions can be especially divisive, and are generally insulting to those not steeped in your particular ideology.

Just sayin.
post #26 of 72
I have to say how surprised I am that so many people are posting comments without knowing who or what lala.com is.

The key thing about this acquisition is that it enables Apple to get into the streaming music (discovering new music) space without having to offer a monthly subscription, which has always been Apple's business goal in relation to music. Appe recognised that not that many people were going to pay monthly subscriptions in order to listen to music.

I have been a Lala member for 6-12 months now and it is fantastic - everything in the overlap between my whole iTunes collection and lala's catalog is there along with about 200-330 songs that I have spent about $15 getting permanent internet access too.

Also, people should be aware that in almost all cases if you pay the 10c charge to stream forever, you also then get a 10c discount on buying the mp3 file.

My worry in this deal is that Apple realises that lala can never turn a profit and changes these rather nice prices and terms.
post #27 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by djg View Post

I have to say how surprised I am that so many people are posting comments without knowing who or what lala.com is.

The key thing about this acquisition is that it enables Apple to get into the streaming music (discovering new music) space without having to offer a monthly subscription, which has always been Apple's business goal in relation to music. Appe recognised that not that many people were going to pay monthly subscriptions in order to listen to music.

I have been a Lala member for 6-12 months now and it is fantastic - everything in the overlap between my whole iTunes collection and lala's catalog is there along with about 200-330 songs that I have spent about $15 getting permanent internet access too.

Also, people should be aware that in almost all cases if you pay the 10c charge to stream forever, you also then get a 10c discount on buying the mp3 file.

My worry in this deal is that Apple realises that lala can never turn a profit and changes these rather nice prices and terms.

The NYT article specifies that LaLa's music licensing doesn't carry over to a change in ownership, so Apple isn't just going to start offering the same services, at any cost.

It does seem likely, though, that they're interested in the hard drive scanning, we replicate your library in the cloud tech.
post #28 of 72
Lets hope this is for a Spotify type application. Apple need their own version of Spotify, I feel it's inevitable that Apple release something to counteract it. But I wish they would separate it from iBloat (itunes).
post #29 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

Lets hope this is for a Spotify type application. Apple need their own version of Spotify, I feel it's inevitable that Apple release something to counteract it. But I wish they would separate it from iBloat (itunes).

iDon't see Apple making this separate. And iBloat needs an iRewrote.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #30 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

iDon't see Apple making this separate. And iBloat needs an iRewrote.

No I don't either. I just wish they would. I have little interest in iTunes nowadays, it just irritates me.
post #31 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

From the NY Times...

"Lala, unlike Apples iTunes, lets users play the music they own from the Web or in tech industry parlance, from the cloud. If Apple introduces its own cloud-based streaming music service, it would let people skip having to download music they buy or synchronize their music collection between their computers and mobile devices."

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/05/te...pple.html?_r=3

Time will tell.

And when that time comes, we'll be in Lalaland.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

post #32 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by djg View Post

I agree with this. Whatever Apple is doing I doubt it will be a Zune Pass, monthly charge for unlimited streaming option.

Addaboxs comment regarding Lala licensing not carrying over to Apple is interesting. Apple obviously could ink their own deal but then why buy Lala if you are going to go to that much trouble. I have to wonder if it really is for the employees. They dont have any patents on this, do they?
post #33 of 72
Does anyone know how much Apple paid? I've seen some rumors but no hard numbers.

It seems this might be mainly a defensive acquisition. Apple could be less interested in the service or the technology, and more interested in preventing anyone else from acquiring them.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #34 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Does anyone know how much Apple paid? I've seen some rumors but no hard numbers.

It seems this might be mainly a defensive acquisition. Apple could be less interested in the service or the technology, and more interested in preventing anyone else from acquiring them.

Well, there was mention of LaLa's recent deal with Google to feature free streaming music as a result for song or artist searches, and Goggle has been getting on Apple's nerves lately....
post #35 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

umm
be cause apple road to world wide control is one more step closer
go apple

no one can touch us now

aapl 250 soon
whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #36 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNly View Post

I personally won't pay a subscription for music but I'm hoping they have better plans.

I used to think so too, but now I am not so sure. There are different types of music subscription models. When I got sick of my iTunes collection I tried Last.FM. It's more like radio, I guess, but it allows me lots of ways to listen to music that I in all likelihood don't have already, yet is similar to the kind of music I like. When I want to buy from iTunes its a click of a button. I am sure the model is familiar to most and its a great way to discover new music. I would like to see a service similar in function but perhaps better integrated with other itunes (Apple) services.

ummmm.....
post #37 of 72
Does apple still have $31B? Balance sheet from last quarter makes it look like reserves have dropped significantly.

This type of service could be interesting with an iTablet as well-- easy way to shrink the memory requirement.
post #38 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

Does apple still have $31B? Balance sheet from last quarter makes it look like reserves have dropped significantly.

This type of service could be interesting with an iTablet as well-- easy way to shrink the memory requirement.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33804993...orld_business/

http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/10/20...ing-anomalies/

http://www.boingboing.net/2009/11/12...huge-stea.html

http://www.poeticportfolios.com/?p=387

Looks like it's at 34 billion now.
post #39 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Advertisements in a forum signature are never welcome and violate standard "netiquette."
Religious promotions can be especially divisive, and are generally insulting to those not steeped in your particular ideology.

Just sayin.

Who gives a rats a** besides you. If the guy has a link to free christian music, so be it. Not everybody's cup of tea is everybody's cup of tea. If it had been a link to free Beatles or someone else, you wouldn't complain.

Obviously you don't know crap about advertising - a text link is an invitation, if you don't want to accept, then don't click.

Talk about being off topic........................................ /end rant
OMG here we go again...
OMG here we go again...
post #40 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Just sayin.

You'd know being a member so long. Just leave Britney alone!!
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple acquires music streaming service Lala