or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › 'Mark the Spot' iPhone app aims to find AT&T trouble areas

'Mark the Spot' iPhone app aims to find AT&T trouble areas - Page 3

post #81 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRoy View Post

Umm... Am I the only one who noticed that in the example of a customer report given, the map shows the problem happening in the middle of a highway, with the report made for "current location". Also clearly shown is a warning NOT to report problems while driving. But ... looks like that's exactly what this customer did. LOL

Both my girlfriend and I have iPhones. Only one of us can be driving the car at a time!
post #82 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Seems like this app would be welcomed by the complainers... You guys can cry to AT&T instead of AI from now on. And hopefully AT&T won't put you on ignore like I have.

The problem with Teckstud is that constructive criticism or productive efforts mean nothing to him. He just wants to complain about everything. Even if AT&T’s network was perfect tomorrow in every possible way I am sure the best we’d hear from him is, “it’s a little too late” and “took them long enough”. I guess some people just like to be miserable.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #83 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The problem with Teckstud is that constructive criticism of productive efforts mean nothing to them. He just wants to complain about everything. Even if AT&Ts network was perfect tomorrow in every possible way I am sure the best wed hear from him is, its a little too late and took them long enough. I guess some people just like to be miserable.

It's only a good idea if Google does it kind of thing? Gotcha!
post #84 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

So just because you use means everyone uses it. Like how often does that scenario ever occur unless you work in a toll booth? DUde - give it up!

actually quite a few people I know use it daily. Give up what? proving you are constantly wrong on everything? That your simplified over generalizations exist only in your mind? Once again you change the subject, that is about your whining and your choice to vent in the wrong arena...And when given the opportunity to add towards a positive result, you choose snark and more whining....DUDE YOU GIVE IT UP...
post #85 of 148
So I downloaded and installed this app late last night... I reported a problem because the phone never works where I was and at 11:00 am I got a text message saying
"Thank you for reporting your issue. This will b extremely baluable as we continue to enhance our network and improve your experience." Anyone else get this? I wonder does this mean that they fixed it?
post #86 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooin View Post

"Thank you for reporting your issue. This will b [ sic ] extremely baluable [ sic ] as we continue to enhance our network and improve your experience.”

Exactly as you quoted it?
post #87 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by city View Post

Here's my no service list for both Verizon and AT&T (these are some of the wealthiest communities in the world) :
1. Most of Malibu
2. Most of Pacific Palisades
3. All of Brentwood when 3/4 mile north of Sunset Boulevard
4. All of Bel Air when 3/4 miles north of Sunset Boulevard
5. All of Beverly Hills 3/4 miles north of Sunset Boulevard
6. Parts of the Hollywood Hills

Looked at AT&T's 3G map for Malibu (ZIP: 90265) and you are correct.

Looked for the same for Verizon. Couldn't find any as well. On the list of California communities that are supposed to have 3G coverage, the communities that you listed are absent also.

It should be noted, that these communities like many of the more pompous, will not let companies build the necessary towers. It is not always the wireless companies fault.
post #88 of 148
I agree, if its a problem do something about it rather than just complain like my ex-girlfriend.
post #89 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by fulldecent View Post

AT&T already has this information. By creating this app, they are preventing another app by Verizon with this function from becoming popular. The difference is AT&T will discard the data, VZ would publish it.

Absolutely TRUE. Tower data can reveal when calls were dropped and where the caller was and calls on which signal strength was low. Probably just an attempt to keep competitors from producing the same app and using the data to embarass ATT. Hopefully Verizon will produce an iPhone App I can use to help them with embarrasing ATT into finally fixing its subpar network.
post #90 of 148
Houston is 850 Mhz so should work well. ATT does not plan to totally scrap their unreliable 1900 Mhz network(which is needed if 3G reliability is ever to become adequate)
post #91 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobBIT View Post

I understand what you're saying.
Yet:

1.) I'm talking about moving customers that experience call drops or service degradations.
The movement data in itself will provide enough additional information to greatly help triangulation.
And with the phone's ID AT&T knows exactly which customer moved from where to where.

You do realize a moving target is even more difficult to locate than a stationary one, and as mentioned previously, triangulation doesn't work without 3 towers in range. Did you ever try the Google Maps geolocation on the original iPhone sans GPS and sans Wi-Fi? Not very fast or accurate -- and not something to expect a service provider could do routinely.

Quote:
If AT&T sees statistically a lot of calls dropped and regained by people moving from very specific A to B areas, it should be easy enough for their technicians to follow this up pinpointing the exact issue.

It can be done from the data AT&T has had available for years.

I don't think so. If you say AT&T has the data and they're accurate, then you need to provide some compelling evidence.

Quote:
2.) While it is certainly nice to be able to provide feedback to AT&T, it is still up to AT&T to provide the service in the first place. Sure, 100% coverage is impossible, but I'd say 99% coverage should be expected within major metropolitan areas like Los Angeles or New York. But I am not seeing that. Not even close.

Buildings do cause trouble, especially for the higher frequencies. AT&T is moving 3G to 850 MHz where interference is less of a problem.

Quote:
3.) People also seem to forget too quickly that AT&T in 2008 alone made 10+ billion in profits.

You seem to have forgotten that those profits are for all of AT&T's operations, including landline services, on total revenues of $124 billion.

Quote:
Can't wait for the day the iPhone becomes available on other carriers!

I'm afraid you'll have to.
post #92 of 148
If they are complaining YOU CAN BET 99% of them have experienced ATT.
post #93 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

The problem I have is that it is too little too late. When I first moved to DC, I immediately called AT&T to complain about the service. Here is how it went:

AT&T: Hello this is AT&T how can I help you?

Me: I just moved to the DC area and the coverage in my house is terrible, here is my address

AT&T: Well sir, our "map" shows full 3G coverage, your phone must be bad.

Me: I have three phones in the house and all of them do not work.

AT&T: Well sir then all your phones must be bad, our map says you should have coverage, anything else I can do for you today?

Me: Yes, do you have the number to Verizon?

With that kind of customer service I am supposed to believe they all of sudden will fix things because I plugged it into an app? Not likely, just a ploy to counter the Verizon attacks. I can guarantee many upon many customers call about bad service and nothing is done.

I ran into the same thing when I got an ATT laptop card for my Macbook Pro. I called and was told there was service yet could never get 3 g signal in my house. I cancelled service after the first week and now get strong signal with Verizon. Meanwhile my 3G iPhone has zero 3 g signal in the same house. That is the difference between a reliable Verizon 800 Mhz 3 g network and a totally crap unreliable 1900 Mhz network with almost zero wall penetration like ATT.
post #94 of 148
Sounds good. These's a small problem. the porgress bar to download the app isnt moving beacuse I only have 1+- bar in suburban LA.

Hey AT&T mark this spot.
post #95 of 148
Steve Jobs should be shot for sticking us iPhone users with ATT.
post #96 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by antediluvian View Post

In silicon valley, specifically around Palo Alto and Stanford U., AT&T reception/signal strength is abysmal. N.B., that this is only a few miles away from Apple corporate headquarters in Cupertino, CA. When a friend of mine called AT&T to complain about this problem, he was asked, "Are you in a building? We don't guarantee reception in buildings." He next went outside and experienced the same problematic reception. Upon reporting this to AT&T he was next asked, "Are you near any trees? We don't guarantee reception near trees." Does this mean that AT&T only guarantees reception in open fields (presumably) in range of cell tower(s)? Unbelievable!

antediluvian

ATT is 1900 Mhz in most places so wall penetration is almost ZERO!!!
post #97 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

No one, not even our beloved Apple, can promise wireless signals thru buildings (even tinted glass reflects signals), thru trees, thru trucks, and up and around hills/valleys. Laws of physics can not be changed. Hence this App to help them spot troubles and implement solutions.

With an 850 Mhz network(like Verizon) it can usually be done with NO problems. With 1900 Mhz forget it.
post #98 of 148
Quote:

I use that feature all the time. It's sort of like "power windows"...you don't know how nice a feature is until you use it.

I use the iPhone for business and personal use. I run Cisco's WEBEX App almost every day. I can dial into a conference call AND view the data presentations live over 3G. All of the remote Verizon participants sit idle....only able to hear....hearing all of their sales opportunities evaporate. Thank you Apple and AT&T....you have put me at a competitive advantage.

Concurrent Voice/Data is PRICELESS. Verizon is so last century.

ROTFLMAO!!! Do you really expect us to believe you can get reliable 3G signal inside a building with a 1900 Mhz network? LOL!!!
post #99 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonyfork View Post

But then how are they going to get the location that is lacking in coverage?

Perhaps the message is stored to send as soon as it can but knows where you were when you created the message? Just a really wild guess on my part.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
post #100 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwhite1000 View Post

Steve Jobs should be shot for sticking us iPhone users with ATT.

That's pretty extreme! What would you do then to Verizon's executive team for having declined the iPhone (as if Verizon would be able to handle the bandwidth demands of the iPhone any better)? Nuke'em?
post #101 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

That's pretty extreme! What would you do then to Verizon's executive team for having declined the iPhone (as if Verizon would be able to handle the bandwidth demands of the iPhone any better)? Nuke'em?

Verizon only declined it because Apple wanted a large chunk of everybodys monthly bill. Pure typical Steve Jobs greed has resulted in a beautiful product giving less reliable service than we would otherwise have.
post #102 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

You say that as if you know VZW couldnt handle the iphone.

I love how AT&T is pinning this off on the customers to fix "Hey report it, and we might get to your area!" Atleast VZW has people that go all over the US to test their data and voice services, wish i could say the same about AT&T.
post #103 of 148
heulenwolf and noexpectations,

By addressing both of you individually I am just attempting to clarify my earlier statements, which may have become lost in apparent hyperbole, and not to incite controversy or start a flame war. I will grant you that buildings, especially those with metal studs and other metallic structural components, can act like Faraday cages and at least partially shield inside electronics from external electromagnetic radiation (RF). However, the problem that I and others have encountered in the south San Francisco bay area can be so severe as to render cell phones useless.

Respectfully yours,

antediluvian
post #104 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by cargillk View Post

It could be an effort to improve the service now that Verizon has embarassed them

You think?!?!
post #105 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonyfork View Post

But then how are they going to get the location that is lacking in coverage?

This is not complicated. The app records the GPS coordinates of the spot of the error, and submits it when it has connectivity. Are people really so stupid they don't understand that?
post #106 of 148
Quote:

This is a tough crowd to please.

If AT&T did not ask for customer feedback, you'd be all over them. And now when they do, you complain. AT&T is doing exactly what they should: Identify the most critical problem areas, and allocate resources to correct them...ASAP. It's called "low hanging fruit". It increases customer satisfaction and reduces costs.....which is exactly what every company should do.

Tekstud is not a crowd, though he likes to behave like one.
post #107 of 148
Quote:

It shouldn't require an App - plain and simple. If something fails - this info should be automatically sent to AT&T just like when your Mac applications fail. You're automatically asked if you want to send a report to Apple detailing the log, etc. AT&T is trying to reboot their image and this ap crap is lame. I for one am not using my HD to give AT&T a helping hand. I doubt the info they get will even get looked at for a long time. Is AT&T going to update us on how they intend to coorrect the situation. Hell no.

Uh... the only way for that to happen would be APPLE software, dumb dumb.
post #108 of 148
bandwidth test at rioplex.com shows my crappy 3g service from att on my iphone.
this from inside a building under construction in northern indiana. i think you argument for penetration is BS jonhwhite
8.8 kbps\tdial-up\t
33.6 kbps\tdial-up\t
53.3 kbps\tdial-up\t
56 kbps\tISDN\t
128 kbps\tISDN\t
384 kbps\tDSL\t
768 kbps\tDSL\t
1000 kbps\tDSL\t
1276.1 kbps\tYOU\t
1500 kbps\tDSL/T1/Cable Modem
post #109 of 148
Quote:

Like I have time to run this AT&T app- " Oh excuse me I have to run an app and issue a report to my cell phone carrier- I'll be with you in a minute."

Amazing, how do you find all the time to post 7 times in the first hour of this thread and yet not have the time to submit a problem report about a service you spend, ehem, so much time complaining about.

Weird!
post #110 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by slcossio View Post

Not really trying to diss you, but in the time it took you to complain about AT&T in these forums, is the time it would've taken you to complain about AT&T to the the people in AT&T who can actually do something to help! (PS. Not saying AT&T has good coverage, just saying that if someone's gonna complain, complain to AT&T)

You don't seem to understand the complainer's mentality. The thought of complaining to fix something is foreign, because if the problem was fixed, there would be nothing left to complain about. And since that's all the complainer (there seems to be only one on this thread) wants, a fixed problem would be a very bad thing.
post #111 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicFingers View Post

bandwidth test at rioplex.com shows my crappy 3g service from att on my iphone.
this from inside a building under construction in northern indiana. i think you argument for penetration is BS jonhwhite
8.8 kbps\tdial-up\t
33.6 kbps\tdial-up\t
53.3 kbps\tdial-up\t
56 kbps\tISDN\t
128 kbps\tISDN\t
384 kbps\tDSL\t
768 kbps\tDSL\t
1000 kbps\tDSL\t
1276.1 kbps\tYOU\t
1500 kbps\tDSL/T1/Cable Modem

It absolutely is NOT BS. 1900 Mhz has very little wall penetration. END OF STORY. Only the technically incompetent would ever disagree.
post #112 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

What about the rest of AT&Ts customers? They just gave the big FU to anyone that does not have an iPhone on their network.

They need a phone with an App store?
post #113 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifail View Post

You say that as if you know VZW couldnt handle the iphone.

There's no device creating such huge demand as the iPhone on AT&T, so that creates a huge amount of doubt in my mind that any other provider could handle the iPhone in such numbers as AT&T is. I have further doubts about Verizon because they nickle-and-dime for everything, which suggests Verizon needs to moderate demand by charging for anything that would otherwise create more traffic than their network can handle. Then of course there's Verizon's $350 early termination fee, which is apparently necessary because Verizon knows its network and choice of devices just doesn't cut it for retaining customers.

Quote:
I love how AT&T is pinning this off on the customers to fix "Hey report it, and we might get to your area!"

Those are your words. It's not like AT&T is saying that at all.

Quote:
Atleast VZW has people that go all over the US to test their data and voice services, wish i could say the same about AT&T.

You say that as if you know AT&T doesn't do this, too, and neglecting the fact that AT&T's app now provides important information that Verizon doesn't have about how important specific areas of coverage are to its customers. Sorry, Verizon loses again.
post #114 of 148
Quote:

Verizon only declined it because Apple wanted a large chunk of everybodys monthly bill.

Apple wanted more control over the styling and content on the iPhone than Verizon ever gave to handset manufacturers.

Verizon management lost out because of their own hubris.
post #115 of 148
Quote:

Dude- do you know how many people actually use that data/voice BS that has suddenly become the only lame comeback to counter Verizon ? I would venture next to none. Who cares? I've never had any desire to interrupt a call and browse the web and I doubt most people do as well. Besides that and playing music in the background( a nice feature but hardly a real app ) why can't I browse the web and answer my text messages simulaneously. Why? Where the real multi app functionality? We'll probably get it in June to combat Plam , google, etc. but for now it's virtually non-existent. Your pom pom chearleading is what's really juvenile not my stating what should be included on my device. And where is tethering for that matter?

I don't get it - am I the only one who does it all the time? You realize what simultaneous data and voice means right? It means that if you're talking to someone, you can forward to them that email that you just got, or you can look up the address of the movie you are going to meet them at, or you can pull up opentable to get a reservation. Or you can be sitting on hold with India for one thing or another and still open a web browser. You really think this is not common? I bet you'd have a hard time finding someone who doesn't use it.
post #116 of 148
Quote:

Ok- I'm on the internet or let say the Apple Remote app. Bing- up pops a text message and to answewr it I have to back out aswer and - then relaunch whatever app i was in prior and wait for it toregister. You just can't swipe /back swipe from app to app- true multi app functionality.

What happened on the web page or Remote while you were gone for those 30 seconds? Anything? Did the song stop? Did the web cease to exist?
post #117 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by city View Post

Here's my no service list for both Verizon and AT&T (these are some of the wealthiest communities in the world) :
1. Most of Malibu
2. Most of Pacific Palisades
3. All of Brentwood when 3/4 mile north of Sunset Boulevard
4. All of Bel Air when 3/4 miles north of Sunset Boulevard
5. All of Beverly Hills 3/4 miles north of Sunset Boulevard
6. Parts of the Hollywood Hills

Thing about wealthy communities.... they tend to organize effectively to PREVENT cell phone tower expansion. Talk about cutting off one's nose to spite one's face!
post #118 of 148
Quote:

Verizon only declined it because Apple wanted a large chunk of everybodys monthly bill. Pure typical Steve Jobs greed has resulted in a beautiful product giving less reliable service than we would otherwise have.

One of the most asinine comments I have ever heard.

Love to see you prove it.
post #119 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

I don't get it - am I the only one who does it all the time? You realize what simultaneous data and voice means right? It means that if you're talking to someone, you can forward to them that email that you just got, or you can look up the address of the movie you are going to meet them at, or you can pull up opentable to get a reservation. Or you can be sitting on hold with India for one thing or another and still open a web browser. You really think this is not common? I bet you'd have a hard time finding someone who doesn't use it.

Id say that almost of use this feature and many didnt even realize that Verizon and Sprint dont have this option.

Whats funny is that it was only a few weeks ago, supposedly several months after he got an iPhone on AT&T, that he wondered how you could even do data whilst on a call. Apparently he couldnt understand how you could have your phone display up and have any other app running at the same time. The mind boggles.
post #120 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Id say that almost of use this feature and many didnt even realize that Verizon and Sprint dont have this option.

Whats funny is that it was only a few weeks ago, supposedly several months after he got an iPhone on AT&T, that he wondered how you could even do data whilst on a call. Apparently he couldnt understand how you could have your phone display up and have any other app running at the same time. The mind boggles.

I didn't realize it until very recently. Thankfully I live in the DC area which has pretty good 3G coverage so I only find myself on edge rarely. When I'm driving from Old Town north on GW parkway is one of the few places where I regularly get Edge, and it drives me NUTS as I try to drive and find that I can't get any new emails. I can't imagine NEVER being able to do that. I don't know how ATT can better communicate it, because in the ads it really doesn't resonate, but that's a huge feature that I can't do without. I'd be really frustrated....
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › 'Mark the Spot' iPhone app aims to find AT&T trouble areas