or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Google Chrome for Mac Web browser reaches beta release

Google Chrome for Mac Web browser reaches beta release - Page 2

post #41 of 111
it's awkward to bookmark, but if they fix that, this might just be my new default browser.

i hate it when Safari crashes and loses every tab/window i have. and reopening them often loses a few along the way.

i like the tabs on top (when it looks this good), the omnibar, and obviously the speed.
"Stay hungry, stay foolish."
"Stay hungry, stay foolish."
post #42 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Zeppelin View Post

Code:

defaults write com.apple.Safari TargetedClicksCreateTabs -bool true

Copy and paste that into Terminal and Safari will automatically open the link you click in new tabs instead of windows. You can switch back to the old behavior by changing "true" to "false'.

I've been using both Safari and nightly Chromium builds. I like certain parts of both browsers, so whichever one adds the features I want from the other first will probably become my browser of choice.

You are SO the man Sgt Zeppelin for that little tidbit! Like nofear1az, I was lookin' for someone to slap every single time I had to right-click or command-click to get a link to open in a new tab as opposed to a new window!

Good lookin' out man!

Sam
post #43 of 111
Quote:

Code:

Copy and paste that into Terminal and Safari will automatically open the link you click in new tabs instead of windows. You can switch back to the old behavior by changing "true" to "false'.

I've been using both Safari and nightly Chromium builds. I like certain parts of both browsers, so whichever one adds the features I want from the other first will probably become my browser of choice.

Ah, the power of the Terminal.
post #44 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

My point was that this article is what is traditionally known as a "puff piece."

I'm just saying a little balance would be nice and that Google can do their own advertising for Chrome well enough that they don't need AI to do it for them.

A little patience. Afterall, the software was just released a few hours ago. As such, for anybody to give me any indepth review on something that they may have been testing for the last few months is something that I really don't want to hear about right now.

In a day or so after the so-called experts have had an opportunity to vet the iteration being made available, will the real truth begin to surface. Otherwise, it is simply and anecdotal foray into somebodies imagination of what may or could have been made available.

Admittedly, I am a Mac'r through and through. However, I try to keep an open mind. For all intents and purposes, Chrome is novelty to me and Safari is my choice. But I will try it. Whether or not it is good or bad, it is only my personal judgement.

Once again, how many times did our parents ask us to take the garbage out? And still, have to be told. Ask your mom and dad, who was more happier the day you left home and went on your own.
post #45 of 111
Safari needs to be debulked. I often surf in chrome in WinXP because then, I know Sadfari and Flash won't take 800mb of ram and slow my machine to a crawl, as I surf mainly text-based websites and YouTube. Sadfari is not able to keep itself under 1GB with any degree of robustness.
post #46 of 111
Wat?? No System 7 version??
post #47 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by akf2000 View Post

Could really do without it opening the sites I most visit automatically, ahem.

Haha Right?
post #48 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I can't find any browser I like these days. IE is insecure. Safari likes to start a daemon process that downloads sites in the background, even though my Internet connection has a download limit. Gee, thanks Safari.

Google apps all seem to install a software updater these days. It's almost surreptitious, it does not appear in your startup items but it's there. And was not mentioned anywhere on the Google QSB site which is what installed it for me.

Firefox is a real resource hog.

Opera? Haven't tried that in a while. Maybe will take a look.

I'm kind of the opposite to be honest, I seem to find I like most of them.

I've been using Chrome for a couple of weeks and think it's pretty good, but maybe I don't push my web browser much (tend to just use it for looking at Apple Insider(!), BBC News and YouTube) since I can't see any difference between it and Safari, Firefox, Opera etc. other than it looks a little different. What is everyone else doing that I'm missing out on that needs different browsers!

In terms of speed, changing my DNS settings to Google's DNS server (8.8.8.8) has had the biggest impact on my browsing speed I've ever seen - that's really impressive!
post #49 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

In terms of speed, changing my DNS settings to Google's DNS server (8.8.8.8) has had the biggest impact on my browsing speed I've ever seen - that's really impressive!

Im not sure that's an entirely good idea . . .
post #50 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Im not sure that's an entirely good idea . . .

How come? To be honest I just followed the instructions here:

http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/

after reading about it on Apple Insider.

Seems to be working a treat, but if there is something I should be worried about, any input is welcomed.
post #51 of 111
Quote:

How come? To be honest I just followed the instructions here:

http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/

after reading about it on Apple Insider.

Seems to be working a treat, but if there is something I should be worried about, any input is welcomed.

Meh, maybe my tinfoil hat needs adjusting. I guess it can't be any worse than using your ISPs DNS servers.
post #52 of 111
Still no AdBlock Plus?

No thanks...
3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 / iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 6 Plus 64GB /iPad with Retina Display 64 GB
3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 / iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 6 Plus 64GB /iPad with Retina Display 64 GB
post #53 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

Still no AdBlock Plus?

No thanks...

It exists. Been around for a long while now. At the moment, Chrome's API doesn't allow extensions to intercept code in realtime and prevent them from loading all together, but for the most part they still work. I've been using adblock on the Chrome developer build on Windows for a couple weeks and it works well! Not as well as Firefox, granted, but I love how lightweight everything is.
Video editor, tech enthusiast, developer.

http://www.yuusharo.com
http://www.studioyuu.com
Video editor, tech enthusiast, developer.

http://www.yuusharo.com
http://www.studioyuu.com
post #54 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by yuusharo View Post

It exists. Been around for a long while now. At the moment, Chrome's API doesn't allow extensions to intercept code in realtime and prevent them from loading all together, but for the most part they still work. I've been using adblock on the Chrome developer build on Windows for a couple weeks and it works well! Not as well as Firefox, granted, but I love how lightweight everything is.

I found a link after I posted. I really wish they would implement it with a proper API as these hacks always end up introducing instability, but I'll try it and see.

For those that are curious, this is the info I found:

http://www.chromeextensions.org/appe...oning/adblock/

The forums posts indicate it does work with the OS X beta. Your mileage may vary

(Edit: Tried the above and got an error that Extensions are disabled. Ah well...)
post #55 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Just as fast as Safari? Nor sure but it appears to be so.

Just ran a couple of Speedtests. Upped my download speed significantly.

How much does http://speedtest.net have to do with testing browser speed, when it's claimed to test Internet connection speed? Even for its stated purpose, I get far more accurate readings (and more than 4X higher in some cases) when using Speakeasy's speed test (http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/). Furthermore, the "significant" difference you saw is certainly well within the variability seen for Internet connections -- i.e., I see no reason to consider that difference significant.
post #56 of 111
I decided to try the Mac version of Chrome. About literally 2 seconds later, I decided that I have no use for it.

Why? Ads! Tons of obnoxious ads on AppleInsider that I wasn't even aware existed because Firefox blocks pretty much all of them (with the help of AdBlock Plus and FlashBlock). What's worse is that the Mac version of Chrome doesn't yet support extensions.

Even Safari does a better job of blocking ads, mostly due to ClickToFlash.

I choose to remain blissfully ignorant of the ad-ridden monstrosity that is the unfiltered internet.
post #57 of 111
Quote:

It's certainly faster for handing over more of your personal data to Google, but there are faster public DNS servers out there than Google's.
post #58 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

How much does http://speedtest.net have to do with testing browser speed, when it's claimed to test Internet connection speed? Even for its stated purpose, I get far more accurate readings (and more than 4X higher in some cases) when using Speakeasy's speed test (http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/). Furthermore, the "significant" difference you saw is certainly well within the variability seen for Internet connections -- i.e., I see no reason to consider that difference significant.

Here's a browser java benchmark test: http://www2.webkit.org/perf/sunspide...sunspider.html
post #59 of 111
Quote:

It's certainly faster for handing over more of your personal data to Google, but there are faster public DNS servers out there than Google's.

You should probably do 3rd party tests to determine if your network speed has really increased, or if the browser is just flubbing the numbers. I'd suggest iStat Menus. Just turn on the network monitor.
post #60 of 111
Quote:

Code:

Why not just use the Tabs preference in Safari? It does this and more.
post #61 of 111
Tried various workarounds to get adblock installed under the Mac version of Chrome and Chromium with little success. Although I could get it to install under Chromium, the options were all disabled and I saw no reduction in ads at all.

I'll stick with Firefox.
post #62 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwik View Post

Safari needs to be debulked. I often surf in chrome in WinXP because then, I know Sadfari and Flash won't take 800mb of ram and slow my machine to a crawl, as I surf mainly text-based websites and YouTube. Sadfari is not able to keep itself under 1GB with any degree of robustness.

Works fine for me. I've got youtube open right now, playing a video and it's using 268 MB. I'm using Click2Flash. No idea how much it takes under standard Flash.
post #63 of 111
I've using it as my default browser since early alpha releases and I love it.

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

post #64 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I can't find any browser I like these days. IE is insecure. Safari likes to start a daemon process that downloads sites in the background, even though my Internet connection has a download limit. Gee, thanks Safari.

Google apps all seem to install a software updater these days. It's almost surreptitious, it does not appear in your startup items but it's there. And was not mentioned anywhere on the Google QSB site which is what installed it for me.

Firefox is a real resource hog.

Opera? Haven't tried that in a while. Maybe will take a look.

Try Konqueror. Still in alpha stage for Windows and Mac, but it is pretty good, fast,doesn't do anything before consulting you first and very tweakable.

There's also Shiira and Stainless for OS X, which are nice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_web_browsers

post #65 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Clean look, but not as elegant as Safari
Favicons on Bookmarks bar are
Does not play well on YouTube pages with HD content
Seems about as fast as Safari
Tabs on top are nice, they seem to stand out more

Will stick with Safari, but if I had to use any other browser it would be Chrome.

Use chrome for a few weeks and it WILL grow in you and like an Apple update, isn't someone supposed to say it feels snappier. Ha ha ha.

Peace. Been using chrome on the mac sine the blue and grey icon. What is it now. I hope they dumped the 4 color one. It's just faster. Tons of apps you can do and gmail tv mobile rocks. Would love to work for them.
post #66 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaCowboy View Post

I decided to try the Mac version of Chrome. About literally 2 seconds later, I decided that I have no use for it.

Why? Ads! Tons of obnoxious ads on AppleInsider that I wasn't even aware existed because Firefox blocks pretty much all of them (with the help of AdBlock Plus and FlashBlock). What's worse is that the Mac version of Chrome doesn't yet support extensions.

Even Safari does a better job of blocking ads, mostly due to ClickToFlash.

Exactly! And I suspect that, being made by Google, Chrome will never fully support ad-blocks.
Only advantage I see for Chrome - tabs on top.

By the way, does anybody know if Safariblock has been updated to work with Snow Leopard yet?
post #67 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiimamac View Post

Would love to work for them.

You want to work for the people that sell your privacy for their profitability to the highest bidder?
post #68 of 111
Quote:

I'm using Click2Flash. No idea how much it takes under standard Flash.

What do you exactly believe click2flash does?
post #69 of 111
Quote:

As I indicated, we just ran SpeedTest and it is only 1 of 16 connection/browser tests of varying criteria that we do.

The issue that concerned us re this test, is why the difference? The number was significantly higher at the first few runs. Since then they have closed up. Needless to say we have reset our browsers continuously during the test runs. We have since run 4 other connection testers and we are getting virtual no difference between each subset using Safari or Chrome.

Note, we did include SpeakEasy and there was no difference in the numbers vs those from SpeedTest. Also, note that SpeedTest is just one of many. No real preference, as long as the protocols are similar from test to test.

Overall, we are not getting a significant difference between the two browsers using various broswer speed tests. What we are observing as we go is the lack of functionality between the two. As such, Safari remains our preferred application. Although, we do prefer the tabs on top. I guess that is because our work is intended for researching large data libraries and nowhere in any library system have we observed 'tabs' other than at the top of the folders.

Note however, our preference for everything Mac does jaundice our direction. But then again, our experience dictates that we are better in the long run by sticking with Apple and its endeavours.
post #70 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by cico View Post

What do you exactly believe click2flash does?

Well for one thing, it lets you change the rendering engine to display the raw M4V instead of a flash video. I display my youtube using QuickTime X, not flash.
post #71 of 111
Quote:

Well for one thing, it lets you change the rendering engine to display the raw M4V instead of a flash video. I display my youtube using QuickTime X, not flash.

right, sorry, didn't quite get what you were referring to, thought about memory management AND flash..
btw, I switched back to flash on youtube, as on my PowerBook 1,67 it unbelievably jerks less
post #72 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by cico View Post

right, sorry, didn't quite get what you were referring to, thought about memory management AND flash..
btw, I switched back to flash on youtube, as on my PowerBook 1,67 it unbelievably jerks less

I never noticed any playback issues, even with flash, but my macs are all less than 2 years old, which may be a factor. They all also have 4 GB of ram or greater which I'm sure also helps.
post #73 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by macosxp View Post

The main thing I like about Chrome is the Inspect Element feature. Very useful in web development IMO.

You do know that that feature is in Safari too?
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
post #74 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC4Theo View Post

All smokes and no fire. Just stick with your Safari, unless you want to be another point of statistics and marketing for Google.

Nothing beats Safari on a Mac!

Those ear plugs and blinders that Mr. Jobs has given you buy his genius marketing must be working pretty good.
post #75 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalkap View Post

Those ear plugs and blinders that Mr. Jobs has given you buy his genius marketing must be working pretty good.

I doubt it's that complicated. Browsers are like clothing. It all comes down to personal preference. There are things I like and dislike about Safari. I like it's speed. I dislike it's speed when doing a find on a large web page. I like it's Find GUI however. I dislike the fact that it lacks adblock+ on the 64 bit version. Etc Etc ad-nauseum.

Same goes for Firefox. I tend to waffle between the two from time to time.

It's just a matter of preference.

Lighten up. You sound like a Windows fanboy...
post #76 of 111
I am pleasantly surprised with Google Chrome. It is now my default browser, Mac and Windows. Sadly, Shockwave does not work with Chrome for Mac, but it does with Windows. I'm becoming a Windows FanBoy, especially when Mac OS doesn't and Windows does.
post #77 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by WPLJ42 View Post

Sadly, Shockwave does not work with Chrome for Mac [...]

Oh, that is just so sad.
post #78 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Note, we did include SpeakEasy and there was no difference in the numbers vs those from SpeedTest. Also, note that SpeedTest is just one of many. No real preference, as long as the protocols are similar from test to test.

I'd suggest your broadband connection is too slow to detect any meaningful speed difference between browsers in a bandwidth test--at least on contemporary hardware--and I'll reiterate that typical temporal variability in broadband connection speed is quite possibly too high to provide meaningful results over the course of a practical number of trials.
post #79 of 111
Just use Webkit nightlies. Can't get any faster on the Mac than that.
post #80 of 111
where does one "Google" on Chrome?

the "home" icon is 1 click more than in others browsers...right?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Google Chrome for Mac Web browser reaches beta release