or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Google Chrome for Mac Web browser reaches beta release

Google Chrome for Mac Web browser reaches beta release - Page 3

post #81 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironknee View Post

where does one "Google" on Chrome?

Are you asking where the search bar is? If so, its the same as the path bar just like in Firefox 3s user named Awesome Bar.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #82 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironknee View Post

where does one "Google" on Chrome?

the "home" icon is 1 click more than in others browsers...right?

Right in the 'address' bar

It will see the spaces and figure out it's not a valid URL or if it has none, it will simply try to resolve it and if it fails, it will Google it (or use whatever search engine you set it to).
3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 / iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 6 Plus 64GB /iPad with Retina Display 64 GB
3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 / iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 6 Plus 64GB /iPad with Retina Display 64 GB
post #83 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofear1az View Post

I like Chrome and am glad it's finally on the Mac side. Safari is good too but it annoys me how I can't tell the browser to open links in tabs automatically without having to right-click and click open in tab. You can set Chrome to do it automatically which is one of my favorite features.

I do wish it had the flash blocking capability of Firefox's plugin or built-in like Camino. I tried Camino out and liked it except for the fact that when scrolling thru web pages the text looks really bad and it doesn't scroll as smoothly as Safari does.

Just like cars, there is no perfect one. At least any of these options are way better than slow IE.

You can open tabs in safari by hitting command & T.

once the first tab is open, you can click the empty space next to it to open a new tab. It requires a double click, but works.
post #84 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleighquinn View Post

You can open tabs in safari by hitting command & T.

once the first tab is open, you can click the empty space next to it to open a new tab. It requires a double click, but works.

You can also set Safari to always show the tab bar, which is easier. Just select it from the View menu. That way it displays even with a single tab open.
post #85 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

You can also set Safari to always show the tab bar, which is easier. Just select it from the View menu. That way it displays even with a single tab open.

NICE! I didn't know that.

As for Chrome, I'm of two minds. I see several people here slamming it and it may be apt to do so, but I can't say. I won't even put firefox on my mac and I'm actually afraid to use anything besides safari.
post #86 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Are you asking where the search bar is? If so, its the same as the path bar just like in Firefox 3s user named Awesome Bar.

oh i see

thx
post #87 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

Look, I'm gonna cut to the chase here:

Most of the p0rn pages I frequent don't display correctly in Chrome.

End of story.

(Bangbus seems to work okay, however.)

Bwahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!
post #88 of 111
I Know I sound like a nube, but HOW exactly do you play youtube videos in quicktime? The URL function doesn't recognize youtube URLs.....
post #89 of 111
Quote:

I Know I sound like a nube, but HOW exactly do you play youtube videos in quicktime? The URL function doesn't recognize youtube URLs.....

You cant just use the webpage link in the standalone Quicktime browser. Youll need the actual link to the video file, which can be hidden in the HTML. The method I see most used to play YouTube videos in QuickTime and to also DL YouTube videos is with ClickToFlash, which allows you to deactivate Flash from loading in Safari.
http://rentzsch.github.com/clicktoflash/
post #90 of 111
Quote:

You cant just use the webpage link in the standalone Quicktime browser. Youll need the actual link to the video file, which can be hidden in the HTML. The method I see most used to play YouTube videos in QuickTime and to also DL YouTube videos is with ClickToFlash, which allows you to deactivate Flash from loading in Safari.

Well, I have click to flash, but I don't understand how to use ti to play flash videos in quicktime or even DL flash videos.

I am completely lost....
post #91 of 111
Quote:

wait, I think I got it. It only works with HD videos, doesn't it?
post #92 of 111
Quote:

wait, I think I got it. It only works with HD videos, doesn't it?

No, it works with any youtube video. Just change the settings so that it uses quicktime. You should see a gear in the upper left corner of the gray flash window. Click on that to enter the settings
post #93 of 111
Quote:

No, it works with any youtube video. Just change the settings so that it uses quicktime. You should see a gear in the upper left corner of the gray flash window. Click on that to enter the settings

Usig this video as an example:

http://www.youtube.com/user/exoticsr.../0/3UfCR9V1QSU

I click the gear and only get basic settings. I don't get an option to load in quicktime from the gear.

I get:

Load Flash
Load all on this page
Add you tube to whitelist
Click2flash settings

There is no option to open in safari in a normal flash video under settings, so what am I doing wrong?
post #94 of 111
Quote:

Usig this video as an example:

http://www.youtube.com/user/exoticsr.../0/3UfCR9V1QSU

I click the gear and only get basic settings. I don't get an option to load in quicktime from the gear.

I get:

Load Flash
Load all on this page
Add you tube to whitelist
Click2flash settings

There is no option to open in safari in a normal flash video under settings, so what am I doing wrong?

Click the gear and then select "ClickToFlash Settings"
You should see an option under the Settings menu to "Load H.264 videos from YouTube". That will force the video to open in Quicktime. Optionally, select the "Load HD Videos" option to force it to always look to see if there is a higher resolution video available on YouTube and use that instead.

The interface will still play within the web page just like a regular flash video, but you should notice that the player has the QuicktimeX black color instead of the Flash gray player. The Flash window should also show "H.264" at the center of the video before you click Play, instead of "Flash".
post #95 of 111
Anyone else having PDF problems - doesn't load them & crashes the whole program, not just the open tab. This is worse that the previous non-beta (? alpha) version
post #96 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by drnat View Post

Anyone else having PDF problems - doesn't load them & crashes the whole program, not just the open tab. This is worse that the previous non-beta (? alpha) version

This is the first beta. Try to keep that in mind.
post #97 of 111
I'm aware of that - just seeing if this is an issue for others?
post #98 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by drnat View Post

I'm aware of that - just seeing if this is an issue for others?

I would think you'd want to report problems on the Chrome website. Seems more logical to look there.
post #99 of 111
Quote:

Click the gear and then select "ClickToFlash Settings"
You should see an option under the Settings menu to "Load H.264 videos from YouTube". That will force the video to open in Quicktime. Optionally, select the "Load HD Videos" option to force it to always look to see if there is a higher resolution video available on YouTube and use that instead.

The interface will still play within the web page just like a regular flash video, but you should notice that the player has the QuicktimeX black color instead of the Flash gray player. The Flash window should also show "H.264" at the center of the video before you click Play, instead of "Flash".

Well, I have all of those enabled. So apparently, if it's only flash and no H.264 is available, then it's still playing in quicktime, it just looks like it's playin in a regular youtube window?

Also, that means it can't be downloaded, right? Because right now I can only download HD videos.....
post #100 of 111
Quote:

Do you have the latest version?
post #101 of 111
Quote:

Do you have the latest version?

I only just downloaded it yesterday when I saw you post it.
post #102 of 111
Quote:

I only just downloaded it yesterday when I saw you post it.

Stable version is 1.5.3

Beta is 1.6b2

You are using this on Safari 4.0 right?
post #103 of 111
Quote:

Stable version is 1.5.3

Beta is 1.6b2

You are using this on Safari 4.0 right?

Yes. Not running snow leopard though. I really don't know what the issue is, but I do know I can download HD clips but not flash and the gears are working as you said. Basically, from what I see, I assume it's playing the flash video. It doesn't say it's in safari in the browser and it won't let me do anything besides the settings when the video is not active (click to flash) and I get the standard right click options when the video is active.
post #104 of 111
Quote:

Yes. Not running snow leopard though. I really don't know what the issue is, but I do know I can download HD clips but not flash and the gears are working as you said. Basically, from what I see, I assume it's playing the flash video. It doesn't say it's in safari in the browser and it won't let me do anything besides the settings when the video is not active (click to flash) and I get the standard right click options when the video is active.

It looks like it’s not an option through a YouTube channel, you’ll have to the regular site access.

PS: You’ll know which player it is by looking at the controls. Flash gives you more options than the embedded QT Player, though with more resource overhead.
post #105 of 111
Quote:

It looks like its not an option through a YouTube channel, youll have to the regular site access.

PS: Youll know which player it is by looking at the controls. Flash gives you more options than the embedded QT Player, though with more resource overhead.

Also, the 10.5.x player won't be black. It will be the old player. I haven't actually tried ClickToFlash under 10.5. Maybe someone else has and can shed a little light?
post #106 of 111
Congrats Google! I've downloaded and my first impressions are not bad but a long way to go. See my review on my blog and also download here.
iHing @ iCrazee - A Personal Guide To Owning An Apple Mac and All Things 'i'
iHing @ iCrazee - A Personal Guide To Owning An Apple Mac and All Things 'i'
post #107 of 111
Quote:

Also, the 10.5.x player won't be black. It will be the old player. I haven't actually tried ClickToFlash under 10.5. Maybe someone else has and can shed a little light?

I do get the black payer on the same site:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UfCR9V1QSU

But I don't get the load with quicktime option. Mine immediately goes to h.264 and lets me have a play in quicktime option or load in h.264, which is very strange as we are both going to the same site to check this.

I understand the whole channel thing. When I left the channel and went to the video in the regular site, it immediately went to h.264
post #108 of 111
Quote:

I do get the black payer on the same site:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UfCR9V1QSU

But I don't get the load with quicktime option. Mine immediately goes to h.264 and lets me have a play in quicktime option or load in h.264, which is very strange as we are both going to the same site to check this.

I understand the whole channel thing. When I left the channel and went to the video in the regular site, it immediately went to h.264

You shouldnt have Play H.264 Movies in QuickTime checked.

post #109 of 111
Quote:

You shouldnt have Play H.264 Movies in QuickTime checked.

Wow. Even your control panel looks different than mine. I have a couple more options than you show and also some of my descriptions are different.

I unchecked load h.264 in quicktime and that allows me to play all videos, it seems, I haven't checked everything yet, in quicktime.

Now there's the issue of downloading. It still only gives me the option of downloading h.264 and nothing else.

I really don't get what I'm doing wrong....
post #110 of 111
Quote:

Wow. Even your control panel looks different than mine. I have a couple more options than you show and also some of my descriptions are different.

I unchecked load h.264 in quicktime and that allows me to play all videos, it seems, I haven't checked everything yet, in quicktime.

Now there's the issue of downloading. It still only gives me the option of downloading h.264 and nothing else.

I really don't get what I'm doing wrong....

Im using v1.6b2. I have no idea on how to help you out here.
post #111 of 111
Quote:

Im using v1.6b2. I have no idea on how to help you out here.

Is it possible that the fact you are using a beta is the reason you can download flash as well as h.264?

Just a thought....

Anyway, this is good for now. Thanks for all your help.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Google Chrome for Mac Web browser reaches beta release