or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple preparing first betas of Mac OS X 10.6.3
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple preparing first betas of Mac OS X 10.6.3

post #1 of 98
Thread Starter 
The first external builds of Mac OS X 10.6.3, the next incremental update to Apple's Snow Leopard operating system, should arrive this week, AppleInsider has been told.

People familiar with the matter say the forthcoming builds are likely to be released to some developers in the next 48 hours, and carry the expected prefix of 10Dxx. It is not yet known what issues Apple hopes to address with the latest update.

A month ago, Apple released Mac OS X 10.6.2, which corrected a guest account bug that could potentially delete a user's account data, triggered by logging in and out of a guest account on a Snow Leopard machine. The update also included native support for the Mac maker's new multi-touch Magic Mouse.

That update was in beta for just over a month, before its release to the public on Nov. 9. A timeframe for the potential Mac OS X 10.6.3 release is not yet known.

Updates for Snow Leopard thus far have come quickly. The new operating system, released at the end of August, saw the 10.6.1 update arrive less than two weeks later. The next build took about two months before it was released.
post #2 of 98
Whoa, I first read and interpreted this as "10.7.3". I must be trippin'

Good progress is good though!
post #3 of 98
What feline is Apple using for 10.7? Anyone have any ideas? Is there any talk of the new features in 10.7 yet??

KRR
post #4 of 98
Any word on a magic mouse driver for Windows 7/Boot Camp? Irritating that I have to switch mice when working in Windows.
iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 24" Dual Core 3.06 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 4
Reply
iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 24" Dual Core 3.06 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 4
Reply
post #5 of 98
Damn, that was quick.
post #6 of 98
$29?
sent from my... internet browser of choice.
Reply
sent from my... internet browser of choice.
Reply
post #7 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by krreagan View Post

What feline is Apple using for 10.7? Anyone have any ideas? Is there any talk of the new features in 10.7 yet??

KRR

I am hoping 10.7 will bring true 64bit, revamped and more cleaned API, more slimming ( we can get rid of ALL 10.4 dependency now. )
post #8 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The first external builds of Mac OS X 10.6.3

Should this read OS X.6.3 and not "oh ess ten ten dot six dot three" \
post #9 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by krreagan View Post

What feline is Apple using for 10.7?


For the new eight core MacPro's - "Octopussy" naturally.
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
Reply
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
Reply
post #10 of 98
I vote for Cheshire for the next 'cat' name.

In other news... MS in a shocking move will now begin to mimimc the Apple use of cat code name for their next iterations of the Windows OS. They have copyrighted "Windows 8 (ate) Garfield" as they next version of windows promises to be fat, bloated, and just a bit slow and lazy...
iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 24" Dual Core 3.06 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 4
Reply
iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 24" Dual Core 3.06 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 4
Reply
post #11 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhunter View Post

Should this read OS X.6.3 and not "oh ess ten ten dot six dot three" \

Um no. The way that it is notated (OS X 10.6.3) is how it is conventionally done. See the Apple website for proof.
20" Aluminum iMac (August 2007) - Snow Leopard 10.6.4
13" MacBook Pro (2.53 Ghz) - Snow Leopard 10.6.4
64 GB iPad Wifi
32 GB iPhone 3GS
8 GB iPhone (Original)
2 iPod Minis (Blue, 4GB)
Reply
20" Aluminum iMac (August 2007) - Snow Leopard 10.6.4
13" MacBook Pro (2.53 Ghz) - Snow Leopard 10.6.4
64 GB iPad Wifi
32 GB iPhone 3GS
8 GB iPhone (Original)
2 iPod Minis (Blue, 4GB)
Reply
post #12 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by krreagan View Post

What feline is Apple using for 10.7? Anyone have any ideas? Is there any talk of the new features in 10.7 yet??

KRR

No one knows yet, though there are many threads speculating. Some obvious choices being:
- Lion
- Lynx
- Ocelot
- Bobcat

And my personal favorites:
- Sabertooth
- Pussy
- Garfield
"I'd rather have a sound judgment than a talent." -Mark Twain
Reply
"I'd rather have a sound judgment than a talent." -Mark Twain
Reply
post #13 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksec View Post

I am hoping 10.7 will bring true 64bit, revamped and more cleaned API, more slimming ( we can get rid of ALL 10.4 dependency now. )

10.6 Has true 64-bit.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #14 of 98
How about Mac OS 10.7 "Fatlazy"?
post #15 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

10.6 Has true 64-bit.

Yes and no. The default 10.6 kernel still boots into 32 bit mode, but you can easily bypass that temporarily or permanently to get the 64 bit kernel.
iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 24" Dual Core 3.06 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 4
Reply
iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 24" Dual Core 3.06 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 4
Reply
post #16 of 98
Maybe they'll fix Exposé and screenshots and Quicktime and Dashboard and...
post #17 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by LtKaffee View Post

Maybe they'll fix Exposé and screenshots and Quicktime and Dashboard and...

I'm not aware of any problems with screenshots or Dashboard, but Quicktime X and the new Expose are inexcusable.

And I'm STILL waiting for them to fix the damn calculator. Seriously, it's a CALCULATOR. It's been in Mac OS X since its earliest days and they couldn't even get that right in Snow Leopard.
post #18 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

Yes and no. The default 10.6 kernel still boots into 32 bit mode, but you can easily bypass that temporarily or permanently to get the 64 bit kernel.

It still has it, though. Apple was quite clever to allow for both 32-bit and 64-bit apps to run on both 32-bit and 64-bit kernels. Really, having a 64-bit kernel as default right now is not the best option for most users. I forced my kernel to 64-bit but understand and agree with why Apple still defaults to a 32-bit kernel for consumers. You still get 64-bit native apps so the point is pretty much moot since the number one reason for 64-bit has been met.

Moving on I fully expect 64-bit will have a 64-bit kernel for 10.7 with no support for any CoreDuos. I dont expect a 32-bit kernel but I do expect 32-bit app support.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #19 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by willmtaylor View Post

No one knows yet, though there are many threads speculating. Some obvious choices being:
- Lion
- Lynx
- Ocelot
- Bobcat

And my personal favorites:
- Sabertooth
- Pussy
- Garfield

Maybe if 10.7 includes tabbed windows in the Finder they could call it Tabby.
post #20 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwik View Post

How about Mac OS 10.7 "Fatlazy"?

Or Sabertooth because its getting long in the tooth. *zinger*


Quote:
Originally Posted by LtKaffee View Post

Maybe they'll fix Exposé and screenshots and Quicktime and Dashboard and...

What are wrong with them? I especially love the new Exposé.

If your issue is with hide not trumping minimization of apps, I hear you but I hardly call that broke, especially when you consider hwo much better it is since 10.5.

I miss some features that QT7 has over QTX but I wouldnt call it broke and I still QT7 if needed.

Dashboard isnt broke, but it does seem to be abandoned. There was no variance in the apps I use. I expected more versatile Stocks app mirroring Stocks on the iPhone, which looks to be mirrored after it.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #21 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It still has it, though. Apple was quite clever to allow for both 32-bit and 64-bit apps to run on both 32-bit and 64-bit kernels. Really, having a 64-bit kernel as default right now is not the best option for most users. I forced my kernel to 64-bit but understand and agree with why Apple still defaults to a 32-bit kernel for consumers. You still get 64-bit native apps so the point is pretty much moot since the number one reason for 64-bit has been met.

Moving on… I fully expect 64-bit will have a 64-bit kernel for 10.7 with no support for any CoreDuos. I don’t expect a 32-bit kernel but I do expect 32-bit app support.

I'm curious, why do you think they'll ditch Core2 support?
iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 24" Dual Core 3.06 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 4
Reply
iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 24" Dual Core 3.06 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 4
Reply
post #22 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

I'm curious, why do you think they'll ditch Core2 support?

I dont. I think theyll start their support somewhere in the 64-bit Core2 Duo, not the 32-bit CoreDuo (Yonah), which also includes the even more short lived Core Solo Macs.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yonah_(microprocessor)
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #23 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I dont. I think theyll start their support somewhere in the 64-bit Core2 Duo, not the 32-bit CoreDuo (Yonah), which also includes the even more short lived Core Solo Macs.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yonah_(microprocessor)

Ah. I didn't catch that. The 32 bit versions were kind of short lived. I actually have a work Thinkpad with an old Core Duo processor.

I agree. Makes sense to drop 32 bit processor support altogether at this point.
iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 24" Dual Core 3.06 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 4
Reply
iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 24" Dual Core 3.06 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 4
Reply
post #24 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

Yes and no. The default 10.6 kernel still boots into 32 bit mode, but you can easily bypass that temporarily or permanently to get the 64 bit kernel.

Apples defaulting to a 32 bit is a smart move in my opinion as it minimizes potential for compatiblility issue. However once the user knows his system is suitable for 64 bit the smart move is to set up for 64 bit. It is a good deal.

However this doesn't mean that the need to support 32 bit apps will go away. I would expect Apple to have 32 bit libraries for the foreseeable future. You really can dismiss 10.6 or 10.7 as being less than 64 bit because they include legacy support for 32 bit apps.


Dave
post #25 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Apples defaulting to a 32 bit is a smart move in my opinion as it minimizes potential for compatiblility issue. However once the user knows his system is suitable for 64 bit the smart move is to set up for 64 bit. It is a good deal.

However this doesn't mean that the need to support 32 bit apps will go away. I would expect Apple to have 32 bit libraries for the foreseeable future. You really can dismiss 10.6 or 10.7 as being less than 64 bit because they include legacy support for 32 bit apps.


Dave

Agreed. I moved mine to 64 bit without issue. If you don't have any driver support issues, then there's no reason to not use the 64 bit kernel.

I don't think anyone was suggesting they wouldn't support 32 bit apps. Some simple apps would simply never benefit from it. I still have tons that are 32 bit. I think he was referring only to dropping support for the old Core Duo processor line. They were just a blip on the way to 64 bit processors anyway...
iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 24" Dual Core 3.06 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 4
Reply
iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 24" Dual Core 3.06 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 4
Reply
post #26 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


What are wrong with them? I especially love the new Exposé.

all you need to do to witness the atrocity that is 10.6's Exposé is open a three new "stickies" (shrink them down to the collapse view for fun) and a single Safari window. Now activate Exposé and tell me why a tiny stickie note deserves as much horizontal space as an entire web browser window ... or, more precisely, why each single stickie has to take up essentially the same room as a browser window. pre 10.6, Exposé arranged things in a sensible manner, but now sensible has been taken over by "putting everything in a straight row."

Exposé used to be the feature i showed PC users with pride and pity; now it's almost completely unusable.
post #27 of 98
Well the second part is easy I'm going with Sabertooth.

As to what will be included that is a different issue that frankly is guess work. So here I go.

1.
Support for a realtime thread or threads.

2.
Resolution independence. Snow leopard put a lot of stuff in place to support this so I'm hoping it is being planned for.

3.
Support for Light Peak

4.
A brand new file system.

5.
Mystery tech! OK this is a cop out but I'm in a rush.


Dave
post #28 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinglen View Post

all you need to do to witness the atrocity that is 10.6's Exposé is open a three new "stickies" (shrink them down to the collapse view for fun) and a single Safari window. Now activate Exposé and tell me why a tiny stickie note deserves as much horizontal space as an entire web browser window ... or, more precisely, why each single stickie has to take up essentially the same room as a browser window. pre 10.6, Exposé arranged things in a sensible manner, but now sensible has been taken over by "putting everything in a straight row."

Exposé used to be the feature i showed PC users with pride and pity; now it's almost completely unusable.

A cosmetic change but personally one I could care less about. I don't read documents in Expose. I just glance at the one I want and click it.

You still seem to know which is the stickie and which is the browser without any issue. If you don't like it, put a suggestion on the Apple site and move on.
iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 24" Dual Core 3.06 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 4
Reply
iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 24" Dual Core 3.06 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 4
Reply
post #29 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Well the second part is easy I'm going with Sabertooth.

As to what will be included that is a different issue that frankly is guess work. So here I go.

1.
Support for a realtime thread or threads.

2.
Resolution independence. Snow leopard put a lot of stuff in place to support this so I'm hoping it is being planned for.

3.
Support for Light Peak

4.
A brand new file system.

5.
Mystery tech! OK this is a cop out but I'm in a rush.


Dave

You bring up a good point. I wonder if ZFS will make it's debut?
iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 24" Dual Core 3.06 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 4
Reply
iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 24" Dual Core 3.06 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 4
Reply
post #30 of 98
Dropping support for 32-bit processors would allow Apple to ship their own user apps 64-bit only which would allow 10.7 to have a smaller footprint than 10.6. 32-bit kernels will still be needed if 10.7 is to run on early Macs with 64-bit Intel processors and 32-bit EFI. I expect Apple will drop support for 32-bit EFI machines with 10.8.
Mac user since August 1983.
Reply
Mac user since August 1983.
Reply
post #31 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by LtKaffee View Post

Maybe they'll fix Exposé and screenshots and Quicktime and Dashboard and...

I doubt they'll do anything to Dashboard until 10.7. Exposé came in 10.3 and got its first overhaul in 10.6 - going with a lag of 3 theory for now.

I also doubt they'll do anything to Quicktime X. IMO it is the one that should be an optional install with SL.

And finally, I doubt they'll fix nested sorting in stacks. Also going for a reverse psychology theory.


So is the official support for Windows 7 in boot camp coming with this update does one think? They said that was coming before year's end.

As for names, I'm going for Lynx for 10.7 and Cougar for 10.8.
post #32 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by willmtaylor View Post

No one knows yet, though there are many threads speculating. Some obvious choices being:
- Lion
- Lynx
- Ocelot
- Bobcat

And my personal favorites:
- Sabertooth
- Pussy
- Garfield

What else would it be but...

Hello Kitty!
Macintosh: It just WORKS!
Reply
Macintosh: It just WORKS!
Reply
post #33 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

You bring up a good point. I wonder if ZFS will make it's debut?

ZFS for Mac OS X is officially dead.

Reportedly, Apple had licensing problems with Oracle (sun), so they killed the project. Apple had ads posted searching for file system engineers to create their own advanced file system.

Mac OS X users, especially given the vast numbers of portable machines, have far different requirements than the typical server-based needs that ZFS served.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/20...ing-issues.ars

http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/24/z...leopard-weeps/
Macintosh: It just WORKS!
Reply
Macintosh: It just WORKS!
Reply
post #34 of 98
"Spayed Cougar," would be an obvious one.

Over at MS they probably vote for "Rat" or "Squirrel" or something like that. But that's really more Ubuntu's style.
post #35 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I dont. I think theyll start their support somewhere in the 64-bit Core2 Duo, not the 32-bit CoreDuo (Yonah), which also includes the even more short lived Core Solo Macs.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yonah_(microprocessor)

I'm with you here. The introduction for the Core Solo/Duo was the first iteration in 2006, by 10.7 there may be some light groans, but no serious bitching. PPC went away without much shock, no reason to keep 32 bit around much longer either.
post #36 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

You bring up a good point. I wonder if ZFS will make it's debut?

I think ZFS is out unless we hear about further support for it. There are also some cons to going to ZFS, like no auto-defrag the last time I heard.


Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

Dropping support for 32-bit processors would allow Apple to ship their own user apps 64-bit only which would allow 10.7 to have a smaller footprint than 10.6. 32-bit kernels will still be needed if 10.7 is to run on early Macs with 64-bit Intel processors and 32-bit EFI. I expect Apple will drop support for 32-bit EFI machines with 10.8.

Does that add to much bulk to the apps. From what I’ve seen it’s pretty minimal, but you’re right that it wouldn’t need to be there if they move to only 64-bit HW support.

They tend to cover their Macs for 3 to 4 years. Yonah (32-bit) was retired in Nov 2006 (37 months prior).

Note that the Merom (64-bit) with the 32-bit memory addressing was finally dropped a year later in November 2007 (25 month prior) with Merom being retired for Penryn in Feb 2008 (21 months prior). If we consider another 21 months until the release of 10.7 then it’s possible that even with 4 years of previous support for Mac notebooks will start support with Penryn.

Edit: I forgot about the languished Mac Mini which kept Merom (64-bit) with the 32-bit memory addressing until Mar 2009 (9 months prior).
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #37 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by krreagan View Post

What feline is Apple using for 10.7?

Cougar


Quote:
Originally Posted by LtKaffee View Post

Maybe they'll fix Exposé and screenshots and Quicktime and Dashboard and...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller_007 View Post

I'm not aware of any problems with screenshots or Dashboard, but Quicktime X and the new Expose are inexcusable.

And I'm STILL waiting for them to fix the damn calculator. Seriously, it's a CALCULATOR. It's been in Mac OS X since its earliest days and they couldn't even get that right in Snow Leopard.


I love the new Expose.
You can still have Quicktime Player 7.

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

Reply

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

Reply
post #38 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

What are wrong with them? I especially love the new Exposé.

Exposé is broken because it makes it IMPOSSIBLE to switch between windows without eyestrain. Whether eyestrain is something you notice or care about doesn't change the fact that it's an objective negative; causing it is therefore a design flaw; Exposé causes it; therefore Exposé is flawed.

Screenshots are clipped to screen width. This is incorrect behavior.

Quicktime X randomly pauses playback after scrubbing a certain distance. Unacceptable.

Dashboard moves widgets up and down about 10 px. The built-in weather widget sometimes gets stuck.
post #39 of 98
I like the labels in the new Expose, but unfortunately they're necessary.

The whole shrinking large windows and expanding small ones was a really dumb move. Now I have to waste time reading the label on every Finder window instead of looking quickly for the one with the right size and shape.

But some neat freak at Apple who's more interested in how pretty his/her computer looks than how efficiently one can use it, decided that Expose wasn't tidy enough.

We shouldn't be surprised though. After all this is the company that thinks huge aluminum towers weighing close to 60 lb should take up gobs of space on people's desks so they can be admired instead of sitting solidly on the floor where they belong. For better or worse form always wins out over function at Apple.
post #40 of 98
OSX 10.7 House Kitten
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple preparing first betas of Mac OS X 10.6.3