or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple preparing first betas of Mac OS X 10.6.3
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple preparing first betas of Mac OS X 10.6.3 - Page 2

post #41 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

I like the labels in the new Expose, but unfortunately they're necessary.

The whole shrinking large windows and expanding small ones was a really dumb move. Now I have to waste time reading the label on every Finder window instead of looking quickly for the one with the right size and shape.

But some neat freak at Apple who's more interested in how pretty his/her computer looks than how efficiently one can use it, decided that Expose wasn't tidy enough.

We shouldn't be surprised though. After all this is the company that thinks huge aluminum towers weighing close to 60 lb should take up gobs of space on people's desks so they can be admired instead of sitting solidly on the floor where they belong. For better or worse form always wins out over function at Apple.

Yes, the grid format makes it nearly unusable (at least on a 13" screen... maybe it works well on larger ones, I don't know). Yes Expose activates too quickly to be able to track where all of the windows on the screen are coming from and going to. My other main complaint is that it doesn't hide minimized windows of hidden applications. If I have two TextEdit windows open, and I minimize one of them and then hide the app, why on earth does that one minimized window still show up in Expose? It makes no sense at all.

With only a single minimized window it's not so annoying. But if I've got a huge number of image files or PDFs open and I have some of them minimized to get them out of the way temporarily, I *don't* want to see them in Expose when I hide the app. Expose windows are already hard enough to make out when there are no minimized windows taking up the bottom row. When there are minimized windows taking up the bottom row, it's even more unusable.
post #42 of 98
Bootcamp was promised to support Windows 7 by years end. Would they have that out within the next few weeks?

USB 3.0 support would be nice to have in one of these minor releases. Products are already coming onto the market using this new tech.
post #43 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

A cosmetic change but personally one I could care less about. I don't read documents in Expose. I just glance at the one I want and click it.

You still seem to know which is the stickie and which is the browser without any issue. If you don't like it, put a suggestion on the Apple site and move on.

Yeah, I get your sentiment. When everyone was bitching about the transparency of the menu bar with 10.5, I felt similarly.

But losing the ability to discriminate between open windows isn't a cosmetic change, it's a loss of functionality. (Yes, as you pointed out in such a dismissive way, I can differentiate between a stickie and a browser window, but in 10.5 I could differentiate between one stickie note and another, and could pick the Safari window I wanted; now they all blend together.)

And thanks for your uninspired referral to the Apple site, but I submitted my suggestion to Apple on day 1.
post #44 of 98
A couple quickies...

I'd like to be able to easily send large emails right from the comfort of Mail. Secondly, I'd like to be able to send encrypted emails that the recipient could open with a password.

Resolution independence would be nice with this huge monitor.
post #45 of 98
I think I'm the only person who is NOT happy with snow leopard. My laptop is slow as hell thanks to it.
And I hate the way expose come on automatically when I hover a file over the dock.
Generally quite irritating.
post #46 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

I think I'm the only person who is NOT happy with snow leopard. My laptop is slow as hell thanks to it.
And I hate the way expose come on automatically when I hover a file over the dock.
Generally quite irritating.

It's interesting how people find so different things good and irritating. I don't see the Exposé activation when hovering a file over the dock as a problem at all. But. I fully agree Apple should give us a little more options both hardware and software wise. i think it is fully possible to extend the options a little without making things too bloated.

About the speed of your laptop did you do an upgrade from previous OS X version?
I upgraded from 10.5 and also think my machine is a little slow, but only when it comes to opening apps. People say a clean install will help.
post #47 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by a Martin View Post

It's interesting how people find so different things good and irritating. I don't see the Exposé activation when hovering a file over the dock as a problem at all. But. I fully agree Apple should give us a little more options – both hardware and software wise. i think it is fully possible to extend the options a little without making things too bloated.

About the speed of your laptop – did you do an upgrade from previous OS X version?
I upgraded from 10.5 and also think my machine is a little slow, but only when it comes to opening apps. People say a clean install will help.

Yeah it was an upgrade. If I did a clean instal it would take me over a week to get my mac set up the way I like it, install all the app's (153 to be precise) etc. So I think I'm just gonna wait for the next generation of laptops which I'm guessing will be in the spring, then just buy another.

In the meantime if I can find a way to turn off that stupid Exposé, that would keep me happy.
post #48 of 98
X.7 is being designed to work on machines with slow processors.
So it should be named after some little agile and lively feline creature.

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

Reply

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

Reply
post #49 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinglen View Post

Yeah, I get your sentiment. When everyone was bitching about the transparency of the menu bar with 10.5, I felt similarly.

But losing the ability to discriminate between open windows isn't a cosmetic change, it's a loss of functionality. (Yes, as you pointed out in such a dismissive way, I can differentiate between a stickie and a browser window, but in 10.5 I could differentiate between one stickie note and another, and could pick the Safari window I wanted; now they all blend together.)

And thanks for your uninspired referral to the Apple site, but I submitted my suggestion to Apple on day 1.

I find it interesting that you say you lost the ability to read them? My stickes stay exactly the same size as they exist on screen, although I don't use that app. I use a the K-Notes widget in Dashboard so I don't have to look at notes on my desktop all day. Given that Expose isn't designed to do serious reading, but rather is designed for the simple task of picking a window from a batch of windows, it functions just fine. I've never had a problem determining which windows was the correct one within a second. You could always just use Command+Tab as well.

Some folks just don't handle change well I suppose.
3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 / iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 6 Plus 64GB /iPad with Retina Display 64 GB
Reply
3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 / iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 6 Plus 64GB /iPad with Retina Display 64 GB
Reply
post #50 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

I think I'm the only person who is NOT happy with snow leopard. My laptop is slow as hell thanks to it.
And I hate the way expose come on automatically when I hover a file over the dock.
Generally quite irritating.

hi there!
i had some problems with snowy myself, but managed to resolve them (or at least most of it) by a quick look on the Console. i saw that most of the error /warning messages came from safari, specially from SIMBL plugin manager. so i went to their page and updated it for the Snowy version. also, i cleand my left-over folders in library/app support for plugins such as ad blocker & safariblock that conflicted on ad blocking and cleared on prefrences the overlaping features of safariblock and clicktoflash on flash frames. every time one of these issues appeared, (a flash to block, a ad to block) safari had a warning message that he had "doubts" on which plugin applied.
Check you console and update your safari plugins managers and clean your library folder. i found out that it made a hell of a difference. i managed to stop all of the beach balls and hangs by updating Simbl. now managed to get old Mac OS speed and responsiveness again.
post #51 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinglen View Post

all you need to do to witness the atrocity that is 10.6's Exposé is open a three new "stickies" (shrink them down to the collapse view for fun) and a single Safari window. Now activate Exposé and tell me why a tiny stickie note deserves as much horizontal space as an entire web browser window ... or, more precisely, why each single stickie has to take up essentially the same room as a browser window. pre 10.6, Exposé arranged things in a sensible manner, but now sensible has been taken over by "putting everything in a straight row."

Exposé used to be the feature i showed PC users with pride and pity; now it's almost completely unusable.

Absolutely agree. This is what happens when you change things for the sake of change alone. You take a good thing and fuck it up from any point of view.

The neon blue highlighting also looks totally out of theme (esp. if you use graphite system theme and your highlighting color preference is totally ignored).

Mac Pro, 8 Core, 32 GB RAM, nVidia GTX 285 1 GB, 2 TB storage, 240 GB OWC Mercury Extreme SSD, 30'' Cinema Display, 27'' iMac, 24'' iMac, 17'' MBP, 13'' MBP, 32 GB iPhone 4, 64 GB iPad 3

Reply

Mac Pro, 8 Core, 32 GB RAM, nVidia GTX 285 1 GB, 2 TB storage, 240 GB OWC Mercury Extreme SSD, 30'' Cinema Display, 27'' iMac, 24'' iMac, 17'' MBP, 13'' MBP, 32 GB iPhone 4, 64 GB iPad 3

Reply
post #52 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

Any word on a magic mouse driver for Windows 7/Boot Camp? Irritating that I have to switch mice when working in Windows.

Maybe this will help from Gizmodo
Magic Mouse Drivers for Windows Now Available
http://gizmodo.com/5409942/magic-mou...-now-available
post #53 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Maybe this will help from Gizmodo
Magic Mouse Drivers for Windows Now Available
http://gizmodo.com/5409942/magic-mou...-now-available

Excellent Thanks Mucho..I'll try them out after work today.
3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 / iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 6 Plus 64GB /iPad with Retina Display 64 GB
Reply
3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 / iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 6 Plus 64GB /iPad with Retina Display 64 GB
Reply
post #54 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinglen View Post

all you need to do to witness the atrocity that is 10.6's Exposé is open a three new "stickies" (shrink them down to the collapse view for fun) and a single Safari window. Now activate Exposé and tell me why a tiny stickie note deserves as much horizontal space as an entire web browser window ... or, more precisely, why each single stickie has to take up essentially the same room as a browser window. pre 10.6, Exposé arranged things in a sensible manner, but now sensible has been taken over by "putting everything in a straight row."

Exposé used to be the feature i showed PC users with pride and pity; now it's almost completely unusable.

Stickies? You're kidding, right?! That's still around?
I'd blame Stickies for the problem, not Exposé. Although, I see your point.

Solution: Make Stickies act like ONE window, with a transparent background and moveable "note objects". You could even have separate "pages" assigned to different tasks or Spaces. Now all I need to do is learn Objective-C and get a job with Apple.

For me, the Exposé F9/F10 rewrite is fantastic. It used to be a mess. Especially running a dozen applications, with tons of Finder windows open. Now, things are easier to find. Personally, I'd like the option of placing the Exposé window label text on top of each window, rather than below, but I think I can live with it.
Macintosh: It just WORKS!
Reply
Macintosh: It just WORKS!
Reply
post #55 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

I like the labels in the new Expose, but unfortunately they're necessary.

The whole shrinking large windows and expanding small ones was a really dumb move. Now I have to waste time reading the label on every Finder window instead of looking quickly for the one with the right size and shape.

But some neat freak at Apple who's more interested in how pretty his/her computer looks than how efficiently one can use it, decided that Expose wasn't tidy enough.

We shouldn't be surprised though. After all this is the company that thinks huge aluminum towers weighing close to 60 lb should take up gobs of space on people's desks so they can be admired instead of sitting solidly on the floor where they belong. For better or worse form always wins out over function at Apple.

I hadn't really looked too hard at Exposé in 10.6, but you have a point about it forcing every window to a uniform size/shape.. We should send in suggestions to Apple. If enough do it, maybe they'll add a preference for it. Uniform Sized Windows/Proportional Windows. Proportional shrinking makes most sense to me, visually. Plus, it would solve Mr. Stickies problem, too.

As for the MacPro issue, it IS a workstation, not really a classic desktop machine.
I think it's too big, but who am I to question Apple.
Give us a Half-MacPro and we'll all shut up, right.
Macintosh: It just WORKS!
Reply
Macintosh: It just WORKS!
Reply
post #56 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffharris View Post

I hadn't really looked too hard at Exposé in 10.6, but you have a point about it forcing every window to a uniform size/shape.. We should send in suggestions to Apple. If enough do it, maybe they'll add a preference for it. Uniform Sized Windows/Proportional Windows. Proportional shrinking makes most sense to me, visually. Plus, it would solve Mr. Stickies problem, too.

As for the MacPro issue, it IS a workstation, not really a classic desktop machine.
I think it's too big, but who am I to question Apple.
Give us a Half-MacPro and we'll all shut up, right.

My windows retain their shape however they are scaled as space allows. I'm curious why folks keep indicating the shape is changing?
3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 / iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 6 Plus 64GB /iPad with Retina Display 64 GB
Reply
3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 / iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 6 Plus 64GB /iPad with Retina Display 64 GB
Reply
post #57 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

Yeah it was an upgrade. If I did a clean instal it would take me over a week to get my mac set up the way I like it, install all the app's (153 to be precise) etc. So I think I'm just gonna wait for the next generation of laptops which I'm guessing will be in the spring, then just buy another.

In the meantime if I can find a way to turn off that stupid Exposé, that would keep me happy.

A week to do a clean install? How would you do it to take so long?

I did it clean from 10.5 to 10.6 and it took maybe 6 hours total, including cloning my MacBook Pro's 200GB hard drive. Yes, I had to do a little tweaking here and there over the next few days, but that's no biggie, since I constantly tweak anyway. Snow Leopard WAS a little more finicky than ANY other version of OS X, I must say.

Clean install routine (omitting reboots):
Run Cocktail
Run Disk Warrior
Run SuperDuper! to clone hard drive.
Run Snow Leopard
Let Migration Assistant do it's thing.
Macintosh: It just WORKS!
Reply
Macintosh: It just WORKS!
Reply
post #58 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffharris View Post

A week to do a clean install? How would you do it to take so long?

I did it clean from 10.5 to 10.6 and it took maybe 6 hours total, including cloning my MacBook Pro's 200GB hard drive. Yes, I had to do a little tweaking here and there over the next few days, but that's no biggie, since I constantly tweak anyway. Snow Leopard WAS a little more finicky than ANY other version of OS X, I must say.

Clean install routine (omitting reboots):
Run Cocktail
Run Disk Warrior
Run SuperDuper! to clone hard drive.
Run Snow Leopard
Let Migration Assistant do it's thing.

I had the same question. I thought it was rather odd. Installing most apps just involves copying them to your apps folder. I did mine manually however. I didn't use migration assistant. I typically just backup my User folder which contains DMG's for all of my installable applications. To reinstall, I just open the dmg and install the app after restoring my data. Takes maybe 3 hours for a long list of apps (including the OS X install).
3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 / iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 6 Plus 64GB /iPad with Retina Display 64 GB
Reply
3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 / iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 6 Plus 64GB /iPad with Retina Display 64 GB
Reply
post #59 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

My windows retain their shape however they are scaled as space allows. I'm curious why folks keep indicating the shape is changing?

Actually, they are gently forced into a more or less uniform size and shape. I notice some getting smooshed or stretched a bit to fit the convention.
Macintosh: It just WORKS!
Reply
Macintosh: It just WORKS!
Reply
post #60 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

I had the same question. I thought it was rather odd. Installing most apps just involves copying them to your apps folder. I did mine manually however. I didn't use migration assistant. I typically just backup my User folder which contains DMG's for all of my installable applications. To reinstall, I just open the dmg and install the app after restoring my data. Takes maybe 3 hours for a long list of apps (including the OS X install).

I used to do it manually and it was a total pain, invariably things break and it just takes a LONG time. In the space of a few hours Migration Assistant does ALL that work and, I believe, attempts to relink applications to supporting files and folders.

It's well worth cloning your hard drive and running it. I just got a 1TB LaCie quad interface hard drive for $139. I partition it and try to clone my hard drive once a week. Just in case. I can also boot with the cloned drive if I need to.
Macintosh: It just WORKS!
Reply
Macintosh: It just WORKS!
Reply
post #61 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffharris View Post

Actually, they are gently forced into a more or less uniform size and shape. I notice some getting smooshed or stretched a bit to fit the convention.

I just double checked with a few stickies. They retained their exact shape. This is on a 27" iMac, so I don't know if screen size is a factor, but all of my windows are retaining their exact shape, they are simply scaled smaller if they go beyond a certain size. I don't see any of them being scaled up in size.
3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 / iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 6 Plus 64GB /iPad with Retina Display 64 GB
Reply
3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 / iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 6 Plus 64GB /iPad with Retina Display 64 GB
Reply
post #62 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffharris View Post

I used to do it manually and it was a total pain, invariably things break and it just takes a LONG time. In the space of a few hours Migration Assistant does ALL that work and, I believe, attempts to relink applications to supporting files and folders.

It's well worth cloning your hard drive and running it. I just got a 1TB LaCie quad interface hard drive for $139. I partition it and try to clone my hard drive once a week. Just in case. I can also boot with the cloned drive if I need to.

I already have a time machine, and it only takes me 2-3 hours to reinstall OS X and just reinstall the apps using my method. I prefer a clean setup when I do a reinstall, rather than copying over old prefs and app data.
3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 / iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 6 Plus 64GB /iPad with Retina Display 64 GB
Reply
3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 / iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 6 Plus 64GB /iPad with Retina Display 64 GB
Reply
post #63 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordjeremias View Post

hi there!
i had some problems with snowy myself, but managed to resolve them (or at least most of it) by a quick look on the Console. i saw that most of the error /warning messages came from safari, specially from SIMBL plugin manager. so i went to their page and updated it for the Snowy version. also, i cleand my left-over folders in library/app support for plugins such as ad blocker & safariblock that conflicted on ad blocking and cleared on prefrences the overlaping features of safariblock and clicktoflash on flash frames. every time one of these issues appeared, (a flash to block, a ad to block) safari had a warning message that he had "doubts" on which plugin applied.
Check you console and update your safari plugins managers and clean your library folder. i found out that it made a hell of a difference. i managed to stop all of the beach balls and hangs by updating Simbl. now managed to get old Mac OS speed and responsiveness again.

This looks like something for me to try at home tonight or tomorrow night. I've noticed quite a few beachballs in Safari, so hopefully this will fix me up.

I'd also like to say thanks to the guy who posted the link to the Windoze driver for the Magic Mouse. I'll definitely be checking that out in the next day or so also.

Finally, on the 10.7 and 10.8 name thing... Maybe Apple will take a similar approach to the last two releases...
10.7 Lion
10.8 Mountain Lion
post #64 of 98
All I want from this update is a fix for the USB mess in SL!!

My externals HDs randomly disconnect!!

Also fix the issue with burning discs in SL.

I have a new Late '09 21.5" iMac and I have trouble burning discs
and it's pissing me off!!!



enuff ranting for now.....
post #65 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwik View Post

How about Mac OS 10.7 "Fatlazy"?

10.7 'Hairball'
post #66 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtmadman View Post

All I want from this update is a fix for the USB mess in SL!!

My externals HDs randomly disconnect!!

I'm with you on that one. I've also had a handful of hard crashes with USB warnings!

The other thing I get is
IF I TR±Y typing ±THIN±GS IN CAPIT±ALS, IT INSERTS plus/minus symbols when holding down the SHIFT KE±Y.

Maybe if i try to dump the keyboard prefs?
Macintosh: It just WORKS!
Reply
Macintosh: It just WORKS!
Reply
post #67 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtmadman View Post


I have a new Late '09 21.5" iMac and I have trouble burning discs
and it's pissing me off!!!

I noticed the same thing on my oldschool iMac. Thought it was something wrong with the media. How does Apple screw up something that's worked since what? 10.0?

Pathetic.
post #68 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtmadman View Post

All I want from this update is a fix for the USB mess in SL!!

My externals HDs randomly disconnect!!

Also fix the issue with burning discs in SL.

I have a new Late '09 21.5" iMac and I have trouble burning discs
and it's pissing me off!!!



enuff ranting for now.....

I use external USB HD's rather extensively and have never experienced this issue. Are there any other reports of the same issues? I wonder if yours are specific to your hardware, or a general SL issue.

On your burning issue, you should also look to your media. That is a more likely cause, not to say that there isn't something wrong with your drive.
3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 / iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 6 Plus 64GB /iPad with Retina Display 64 GB
Reply
3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 / iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 6 Plus 64GB /iPad with Retina Display 64 GB
Reply
post #69 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

I use external USB HD's rather extensively and have never experienced this issue. Are there any other reports of the same issues? I wonder if yours are specific to your hardware, or a general SL issue.

On your burning issue, you should also look to your media. That is a more likely cause, not to say that there isn't something wrong with your drive.

I have no problem with the media on my late '08 macbook or my G4 eMac running 10.5.8.

Now just a quick note... This is my 3rd 21.5" iMac in the past month (dead pixel issues)
and they had all the same problems durning discs.

Not just in Toast 10, but in Disk Utility also!!

Now... is it a hardware issue or an OS issue??

I'm holding off upgrading my Macbook to SL until these issues are corrected...
post #70 of 98
All I really want is support for Camera RAW for my 7D. If no Aperture updates, please at least let me use my camera with the software I have, Apple? Sigh.
New MacBook Pros next Tuesday!
Reply
New MacBook Pros next Tuesday!
Reply
post #71 of 98
sure would be nice if the 64 but version of iTunes was included ! What do you all think ?
post #72 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonepalm View Post

sure would be nice if the 64 but version of iTunes was included ! What do you all think ?

Not gonna happen. iTunes is updated seperately from the OS. Plus, moving from Carbon to Cocoa to support 64-bit is a pretty big undertaking that requires a complete rewrite all with their share of growing pains. I think next fall at the iPod Special Event I when we can expact iTunes X to arrive.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #73 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtmadman View Post

I have no problem with the media on my late '08 macbook or my G4 eMac running 10.5.8.

Now just a quick note... This is my 3rd 21.5" iMac in the past month (dead pixel issues)
and they had all the same problems durning discs.

Not just in Toast 10, but in Disk Utility also!!

Now... is it a hardware issue or an OS issue??

I'm holding off upgrading my Macbook to SL until these issues are corrected...

The only way to be sure would be to install 10.5 on them after you see an issue on 10.6, to see if your issues disappear. It would be the first thing I would try. You could always just drop a partition along side the existing and just install on the new partition. That way you can just delete it when your done

rEFIit makes it extremely easy to pick your boot partition with a nice gui. Check it out if you haven't seen it.

I know there were complaints of optical hardware failures after the upgrade. They weren't sure if it was due to the excess use of the drive during the upgrade or what but it caused an actual drive failure. If the problem continues, even after putting 10.5 back on, then your optical drive is bad.
3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 / iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 6 Plus 64GB /iPad with Retina Display 64 GB
Reply
3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 / iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 6 Plus 64GB /iPad with Retina Display 64 GB
Reply
post #74 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

I vote for Cheshire for the next 'cat' name.

In other news... MS in a shocking move will now begin to mimimc the Apple use of cat code name for their next iterations of the Windows OS. They have copyrighted "Windows 8 (ate) Garfield" as they next version of windows promises to be fat, bloated, and just a bit slow and lazy...

Haaahahahhahahahahahahahahahah
Thumbs up man!! One of the best jokes I've heard!!!
post #75 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtmadman View Post

All I want from this update is a fix for the USB mess in SL!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffharris View Post

I'm with you on that one. I've also had a handful of hard crashes with USB warnings!

These. Snow Leopard is a no-go for me until the issue is fixed.
post #76 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post

A couple quickies...

I'd like to be able to easily send large emails right from the comfort of Mail. Secondly, I'd like to be able to send encrypted emails that the recipient could open with a password.

Resolution independence would be nice with this huge monitor.

I'm waiting for that too!! That would come handy especially considering teh fact that Apple is more and more popular in business markets. That woudl really help. Also, if iChat could have encrypted chats and conversation like in Skype, it would be really great!
post #77 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhar View Post

I'm waiting for that too!! That would come handy especially considering teh fact that Apple is more and more popular in business markets. That woudl really help. Also, if iChat could have encrypted chats and conversation like in Skype, it would be really great!

iChat does do encrypted chats, and screen sharing is encrypted as well. That is all done through MobileMe, however, so it's not free.
post #78 of 98
Please fix:
1) Samba in/out issues...with incoming to 10.6 being most critical for me as now XBMC from my AppleTV can no longer connect.
2) Apple Remote issues where my remote paired to my ATV (and not paired to the mini w/10.6) will still launch iTunes and Frontrow. Candlair worked up to 10.6.2 but no longer.
3) Permissions issues on some files being able to copy back & forth
and,
4) I've heard a lot about X3100 video issues
post #79 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by technohermit View Post

iChat does do encrypted chats, and screen sharing is encrypted as well. That is all done through MobileMe, however, so it's not free.

Screen Sharing is free. You can either use the network wizard to connect to another Mac using VNC://computername or just use the /System/Library/CoreServices/Screen Sharing.app

For remoting and connecting to a Windows PC, you can download the free Microsoft Remote Desktop Client.
3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 / iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 6 Plus 64GB /iPad with Retina Display 64 GB
Reply
3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 / iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 6 Plus 64GB /iPad with Retina Display 64 GB
Reply
post #80 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

Screen Sharing is free. You can either use the network wizard to connect to another Mac using VNC://computername or just use the /System/Library/CoreServices/Screen Sharing.app

For remoting and connecting to a Windows PC, you can download the free Microsoft Remote Desktop Client.

Sorry for being unclear. It's the encryption that MobileMe handles, which means not free.

iChat does desktop sharing, too, for free. It's fast too, I love that feature. It automatically connects a voice chat while you are connected to someone else's screen too, which is sweet.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple preparing first betas of Mac OS X 10.6.3