or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Time Magazine ranks Motorola Droid above Apple iPhone for 2009

Time Magazine ranks Motorola Droid above Apple iPhone for 2009

post #1 of 257
Time magazine has named the Motorola Droid the No. 1 gadget of 2009, besting the iPhone 3GS and calling the handset the first to truly challenge Apple's groundbreaking smartphone.

Time said that the Droid is the best hardware companion to Google's Android mobile operating system yet, earning the phone its top honors for 2009.

"The Droid is a hefty beast, a metal behemoth without the gloss and finish of the iPhone, but you don't miss it," the magazine said. "The Droid's touchscreen is phenomenally sharp and vivid, it has an actual physical (not great, but good enough) keyboard, and best of all, the Droid is on Verizon's best-of-breed 3G network. It's Android's first credible challenge to the iPhone."

Apple's iPhone still made the list, and earned praise. But the device came in fourth, behind the Barnes & Noble Nook e-reader, and the Dyson Air Multiplier.

"Take the iPhone. Make it faster. There, you're done," the story said. "Yes, the 3GS has a better camera with video. And it has a compass and voice control. Those are all improvements over the original. But the main point of, and the best thing about, the new iPhone is speed. It has more of it. Period."

Hype surrounding the Droid continues to linger more than a month after the device first debuted. This despite the fact that the handset managed to sell 100,000 units in its first weekend, compared with over a million units of the iPhone 3GS sold in its first three days at retail.

While comparisons between the Droid and iPhone are inevitable regardless, Motorola has encouraged them with a series of advertisements geared towards men. One recent ad suggested the iPhone is feminine, comparing it to a "tiara-wearing digitally clueless beauty pageant queen." Motorola then portrays its Droid as a fast, efficient device that isn't worried about looks.

One recent study found that buzz surrounding the Droid had helped to propel the brand perception of Motorola beyond that of Apple for men ages 18 and up.

The rest of Time's top 10 gadgets list for 2009, following the iPhone 3GS, in order, is: Canon EOS-1D Mark IV, Dell Adamo XPS, FinePix Real 3D W1, Casio G-Shock GW7900B-1, Beats Solo by Dr. Dre, and Panasonic G10 Series Plasma HDTVs.
post #2 of 257
Uh huh, a "best of breed" 3G network that crumbles under the task of simultaneous voice and data. Nice try, Time.
I own lot's of Apple stuff, but see no need to thump my virtual chest about it.
post #3 of 257
Same magazine who sat around while Bush fooled his own country.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #4 of 257
*yawn*

Seen it all before.

http://tamspalm.tamoggemon.com/2009/...ion-benchmark/

http://palm.pdablast.com/articles/20...-Ranks-in.html

It's all fun and games until the next iPhone. Then it's back to the drawing board for everyone else.
post #5 of 257
The iPhone has been out for 3 years. The Droid, what, a couple of months...if that? It has wow factor over the iPhone. That is it. People will learn to hate it after about 6 months. I went to Verizon to see what all the hype was. It feels like a brick in your hand with it's "not rounded" edges, it feels very poorly built (I hate slider phones. They acquire dirt, soot, sand, etc and grind eventually) and the keyboard...won't even start on it.

The iPhone is like an old relationship. At first, it was exciting and "fresh" and you couldn't get enough of it. Now, it is just reliable, comfortable, and the standard you are used to. Lol, the droid is like that younger chick that looks good at first but you soon realize isn't as good as the original.
post #6 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

They are talking about the Droid hardware not the Verizon or ATT network. Most users could care less about simultaneous voice and data, its just become a pathetic talking point for ATT users. Verizons network blows away ATT.

I have used both. Don't get me wrong, I loved Verizon when I had it. I dreaded the ATT network but I wanted the iPhone. It isn't that bad. I know where it doesn't work and I know where it does. But, data on verizon, SLOOOOOOOOOW. ATT's 3G is MUCH faster than Verizon's. Hands down. I have been on both sides of the fence.
post #7 of 257
This Time ranking is inexplicable. The 3GS is head and shoulders above the Droid in everything, you can't even compare the OS of the two devices, Droid is so far behind. And then there's the App Store, etc.

The Droid is "just good enough" (which we've seen before), it's only been out a short time, and Time ranks it tops for the whole year? ROFL.
post #8 of 257
I terminated my Time subscription right after having been offended by yet another insane judgement, which they used to fire.

What surprised me most was the remark by a post-office girl I talked to. "Oh, Time? I see what you mean."

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

post #9 of 257
Quote:

The iPhone has reached its peak. There isn't anything major that can be added to the iPhone at this point. Sorry but there are no "game changers" as you like to put it.

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
-- Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943
post #10 of 257
I've said it before if you compare the iPhone with any other phone, the iPhone is the winner. Yes, ATT's network leaves a lot to be desired, but I think Time has missed the mark this time by not evoking the Apple ecosystem. My 3Gs is one part of my life, just as making phone calls is a small part.

Yet accessing the internet, email, organizing contacts, video, photos, music. Apple does it best.

My 3gs compliments my iMac desktop, my MB laptop and my AppleTV. It's a lifestyle choice where the iPhone is integrated and not a stand a lone product.
post #11 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

This Time ranking is inexplicable. The 3GS is head and shoulders above the Droid in everything, you can't even compare the OS of the two devices, Droid is so far behind. And then there's the App Store, etc.

The Droid is "just good enough" (which we've seen before), it's only been out a short time, and Time ranks it tops for the whole year? ROFL.

I don't think you get it. They're talking about what's new and exciting in the world, that's the entire point of their "Top 10 of Everything" series. I've got the iPhone 3GS and I love it, but they're very much correct in that it's more or less the same thing we've used for years. There's a lot that's new and exciting about Droid, even if you seem to think it's terrible (which I certainly do not). It made #1 because it made waves in the market, not because it's the "best phone".

The iPhone 3GS is the iPhone 3G with under under the hood tweaks. The Droid is all-new. It should not surprise anyone that it tops the iPhone in a "top X of 2009" list. Books from 2007/2008 may still be great, but they don't make the top of the Top 10 Books of 2009 list when a new edition is released.
post #12 of 257
This is all about generating controversy to gain clicks. They do not claim that it is the best selling device, or the most popular device, or the best in any particular category device. The best they say about it is that it is the first phone that provides a credible challenge to the iPhone. Everyone also said that about the Pre, and that has become something of a joke. This is a headline grab, nothing more.
Apple has no competition. Every commercial product which competes directly with an Apple product gives the distinct impression that, Where it is original, it is not good, and where it is good, it...
Apple has no competition. Every commercial product which competes directly with an Apple product gives the distinct impression that, Where it is original, it is not good, and where it is good, it...
post #13 of 257
GOOD!

Glad to see some competition for the iPhone.

I think the iPhone is sissy and childish looking anyway, just like OS X, but I use OS X for it's security, not it's candy ass looks.

I like the idea of a REAL KEYBOARD, touch screens suck in my opinion. Plus the Droid (lousy name) has other features, like it's a alarm clock while charging etc.

I like the idea that the Droid appeals to REAL MEN and solves their needs.

What I really would like is some COMPETITION between carriers on prices, it's a shame carriers are leveraging products instead and raping our wallets every month.

Nearly everyone has a cell phone today, there is no reason why we should be paying outrageous monthly fees. Also a iPhone costs what $600? Almost the price of a computer. Why does a iPod Touch with a few less gizmos cost only a few hundred? Is it because the iPod Touch has COMPETITION?

It's really sad that carriers are acting like they are doing to rape us consumers, we have to call in the government (a bigger evil) to break up their wallet raping behavior.

And I'm willing to be it's AT&T who is the prime company setting the behavior for the rest of the industry, being broken up before.

AT&T is delivering phone books again, tell all your poor friends to just say NO! You'll wind up doing more in costly damage/wear/gas to your vehicle than you'll ever get paid for and you will do extremely hard labor as well. The only way to do the job is to use two people and hang the books on the mailbox, which is a Federal Offense if you get caught.

If they pay well and you make money, by all means go ahead. But they don't.
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
post #14 of 257
Hitler was TIME Magazine's Man Of The Year in 1938. Stalin was TIME Magazine's Man Of The Year for 1939 and 1942. George W. Bush was also picked twice, 2000 & 2004.
post #15 of 257
time magazine is not what i would call an expert on technology. time should concentrate on trying to stay in business.

as for the droid, the initial euphoria seems to have disappeared and now they are going to have to get back to work the old fashioned way. it's going to be a herculean task.
post #16 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asherian View Post

I don't think you get it. They're talking about what's new and exciting in the world, that's the entire point of their "Top 10 of Everything" series. I've got the iPhone 3GS and I love it, but they're very much correct in that it's more or less the same thing we've used for years. There's a lot that's new and exciting about Droid, even if you seem to think it's terrible (which I certainly do not). It made #1 because it made waves in the market, not because it's the "best phone".

What's new and exciting about the Droid? The fact that it's a recast iPhone in a horrible outer shell, sporting a lousy OS with a badly implemented app store?

It's new, and it's a novelty, and it's the best iPhone knockoff yet that did indeed make waves in the market. Which we've seen before. Sure, I get it.
post #17 of 257
Quote:

Yeah grabbing a quote from 1943 in regard to technology. That sounds about right for you.

Guess again about why I picked 1943....
post #18 of 257
Without any real side-by-side comparisons, TIME watched all those hyped commercials and came to their ridiculous conclusion. What a joke.

Also, Verizon's network is slow....much slower than AT&T's...and without concurrent voice/data it is also restricted. A few more DROID users will bring that network to its knees.
post #19 of 257
Clearly they didn't do anything that required typing on the Droid, because the keyboard irrefutably sucks. They also don't seem to value Wifi/WLAN access on a handset... something I will never be without again if I can help it.

As far as faster goes, I am fairly certain that the processors in the 3GS and Droid are the same, so maybe Google is doing something special with Android's efficiency or maybe the testing wasn't very precise.

As far as being able to simultaneously use voice and data not being useful... You're just wrong. I do it all the time when I need to pull up info while on a call. I was doing it well before the ads started. Put the call on speaker and say, "Hold on, let me look."

Sorry TIME, you fail.
post #20 of 257
Quote:

You are right you cant compare the two the Droid does everything alot faster.

What, exactly? The Droid browser is SLOW, and all they've done is increase the scrolling momentum. Which is nice, once the Droid opens the page you want after an eternity. 12s for the iPhone 3GS and 20 seconds for the Droid on average. Big difference.
post #21 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Time Magazine has named the Motorola Droid the No. 1 gadget of 2009, besting the iPhone 3GS and calling the handset the first to truly challenge Apple's groundbreaking smartphone.

'time' will tell. And will sales.

I do try to be open minded. Although my family will disagree.

But I would like to raise this question.

Are the likes of Time, starting to realize the impact on their publications realizing that Apple's yet to arrive tablet just may be the nail to really negate the usefulness and value of their 'paper' based magazines?

As such, wouldn't it be prudent to promote products that reading their articles on them will be difficultly retarded?

But who knows? Again, only 'time' will tell.
post #22 of 257
Quote:

What's new and exciting about the Droid? The fact that it's a recast iPhone in a horrible outer shell, sporting a lousy OS with a badly implemented app store?

It's new, and it's a novelty, and it's the best iPhone knockoff yet that did indeed make waves in the market. Which we've seen before. Sure, I get it.

Have you played with one? I'm a mobile app developer and I make versions of my app for iPhone, Android, WebOS, and Blackberry and I play with all of the phones.

The Droid feels great in the hand. Its "horrible" outer shell feels far more durable and "industrial" than the iPhone, its harder edges really reinforce that solid feeling. The phone is remarkably thin for one with a physical keyboard, which is a very nice addition. It's the first phone with Android 2.0 support, which includes Google's turn-by-turn GPS out of the box and other goodies. It's got a completely wide-open app market without Apple's inconsistent and arbitrary and lengthy app review process.

There's a lot to love about the Droid, and certainly a lot of "new" things that could invigorate the market. Apple missed the boat by not even tweaking the appearance of the iPhone 3GS this year, so as a result it feels somewhat stale in the eyes of many even though it's better than ever. While the iPhone 3GS is an incremental improvement over the iPhone 3G, Motorola Droid is an all-new phone that's actually the best non-iPhone out there. It intentionally takes design and aesthetics away from the direction Apple is taking. While for many here, you'll call it heresy but there's a lot of reasonable people in this world that would think otherwise...

I'm sure most of you here won't "buy" this. And that's fine, I won't waste my breath on it anymore. Just know there are other phones out there than the iPhone, and some of them feel very fresh in contrast to the iPhone's slight tweak in 2009. The ranking makes perfect sense, even if it makes some people cry. It is NOT saying the Droid is "better" than the iPhone. The people who think that clearly don't understand such lists, which focus on game changers or refreshing ideas or innovation. Stop pretending like it's some CNET review piece or something.
post #23 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Time Magazine has named the Motorola Droid the No. 1 gadget of 2009, besting the iPhone 3GS and calling the handset the first to truly challenge Apple's groundbreaking smartphone.

An outstanding special olympics swimmer named athelete of the year besting michael phelps, is the first tru challenge to the human dolphin.
post #24 of 257
No surprise here. Time Magazine is a propaganda rag that prints what they're paid to print.

It has never been unusual for them to print outright lies and smut, just to sell a few more copies.

Calling the Droid a bigger success than the iPhone 3GS, makes about as much sense as painting Obama as a religious savior on the cover.

If it felt like it, I could drudge up a dozen Time articles from the last ten years that SHOULD land the authors/publisher in jail, due to the lies contained and the (wrong) influence they've had on the public.
post #25 of 257
Glad to see that someone else isn't buying into the whole iPhone thing year after year. It's a great product and I love mine, but the Droid is the first implementation of Android done right. Is it a perfect phone? Not even close. Is the iPhone the perfect phone? Nope. They have some things to iron out. We have a couple here in the office and I like them, but Verizon's prices are crazy. $2.99 for visual voicemail?
post #26 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

No surprise here. Time Magazine is a propaganda rag that prints what they're paid to print.

It has never been unusual for them to print outright lies and smut, just to sell a few more copies.

Calling the Droid a bigger success than the iPhone 3GS, makes about as much sense as painting Obama as a religious savior on the cover.

If it felt like it, I could drudge up a dozen Time articles from the last ten years that SHOULD land the authors/publisher in jail, due to the lies contained and the (wrong) influence they've had on the public.

Again, you guys should read the actual article. They didn't say the Droid was better or a bigger success.

As for propaganda rag, that's precisely what this site is. Not Time. Suggest you strongly, strongly analyze what is going on here.

For instance, the article here focuses on the 100,000 figure from the initial weekend sales (which is the low end estimate). The Droid actually sold 700,000-800,000 in November, which is a very, very high number for a new phone.
post #27 of 257
This is the first iteration of the Droid. It will get better and will have more models available to serve different tastes in the market. Can't wait to see the next models of the iPhone from Apple to keep their lead. If they stay with the one model for everyone, Droid will start eating into their market share. But i'm hoping that won't happen.
post #28 of 257
Quote:

They are talking about the Droid hardware not the Verizon or ATT network. Most users could care less about simultaneous voice and data, its just become a pathetic talking point for ATT users. Verizons network blows away ATT.

Me... I care about voice an data at the same time. I believe ATT just won some speed trials too. I guess next you'll suggest most users don't care about speed?
post #29 of 257
Quote:

You talking about the Droid is about the same as you talking about Windows 7. You haven't touched either and your pulling information out of your ass.

No, I'm pulling it off the web. Engadget did the test.

http://dailymobile.se/2009/10/29/mot...er-speed-test/

http://homebiss.blogspot.com/2009/11...phone-3gs.html

http://www.iphoneheat.com/2009/10/br...-3gs-vs-droid/

http://www.androidcentral.com/droid-...ser-speed-test

http://www.funkyspacemonkey.com/ipho...eed-test-video

That's one sad looking OS on the Droid, that's for sure.

But I'm sure your own test might show differently. Can we see it?
post #30 of 257
Quote:

It's not a pathetic talking point. Apple's commercial on the subject pretty much mirrors what I do in real life every day. I work for a very large software company and I depend on my iPhone every day for me to reach out to my customers and people in my company. iPhones in my company are fully supported for email and at the end of the month, will be fully supported for calendaring via CALDAV. I spend a lot of time on the phone as I travel and I'm always pulling up emails that someone I'm talking to asks me about, or attachments they want me to read (Word, PPT and Excel). If I had to hang up the phone every time I needed to do a data operation, I'd be pissing off a lot of people I talk to....either that or get a second phone.

The only time AT&T network is a real problem with this concerns the Edge network. If you're roaming on 3G and you enter an Edge zone, when you come back to 3G, most likely you can't reenter the ability to do data at all. In this case, the only way to fix this is to hang up and let the phone reconnect with the data network, then redial. I've done this in cases where I truly needed both and it's a pain.

Lastly, I think everyone agrees that Verizon's 3G network is far broader than AT&Ts, but AT&Ts is faster in limited markets. But I'd have to wonder if we'd all be talking about Verizon badly if its data network was burdened by 20 million iPhones. Verizon's overall data load has to be far smaller than AT&T's despite them having 8-9 million more customers. I don't like defending AT&T and their network problems...it's certainly real. But I doubt Verizon users would be gleefully happy if the same number of iPhone customers were on their network.
post #31 of 257
Time saw some new devices to hype - all of which are advertisers or potential advertisers. So they hyped them. Droid and B&N will now breathlessly include in their ads the Times magazine mention, keeping Time in the public eye. And that's about the size of it.

None of this will mean anything to iPhone sales over the long haul.
post #32 of 257
Quote:

The article quotes Time magazine as calling Verizon's 3G network "best of breed", making my comment relevant to the discussion.
post #33 of 257
i cannot wait for an article published in time about windows being the operating system of the century...
i'm sure mossberg will write it
post #34 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by iancass79 View Post

The iPhone has been out for 3 years. The Droid, what, a couple of months...if that? It has wow factor over the iPhone. That is it. People will learn to hate it after about 6 months. I went to Verizon to see what all the hype was. It feels like a brick in your hand with it's "not rounded" edges, it feels very poorly built (I hate slider phones. They acquire dirt, soot, sand, etc and grind eventually) and the keyboard...won't even start on it.

GMTA!

I was going to post "my review" of the Droid that I handled in Best Buy, but I would only be repeating your post.

The Droid is "Scudiness"! \

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

post #35 of 257
Quote:

Speed trials...lol. You have been watching far too many tv ads. Its already been proven a long time ago Verizon has the fastest network and the larges 3G coverage. ATT also has the worst customer ratings.

Go have fun with your Droid. If you care so little about the iPhone or ATTs network, why are you posting on this? Also, you don't know me or what I do with my time. I don't watch TV ads, I have a DVR.
post #36 of 257
Quote:

Yeah grabbing a quote from 1943 in regard to technology. That sounds about right for you.

Seriously?

your reading comprehension is lacking if you don't see how he's applying that quote.
post #37 of 257
Cue the "Time is a dreadful publication" comments.

The iPhone hasn't changed much this year. It got faster and added a compass (as well as some long needed software features). Apple tends to come up with a great idea, then spend a lot of time refining it. Although it will likely be superseded by next month's hottest phone, the Droid is at least 'new' for 2009. Plus the navigation feature seemed pretty cool.

Plus, I'd rather my iPhone become more of a standalone device than tied to software like iTunes, and it is for the most part... except for when the battery runs out. The Lala acquisition will hopefully move more stuff to the web, reducing its iTunes reliance.
post #38 of 257
google voice nuff said.
post #39 of 257
Quote:

Most users *couldn't* care less because they've never tried it. I can't stand having phone calls on EDGE because of that now.

Ten years ago most users *couldn't* care less about text because they could just call the person.
post #40 of 257
Quote:

*yawn*

Seen it all before.

http://tamspalm.tamoggemon.com/2009/...ion-benchmark/

http://palm.pdablast.com/articles/20...-Ranks-in.html

It's all fun and games until the next iPhone. Then it's back to the drawing board for everyone else.

Yeah, maybe they'll add copy-paste, mms, tethering, external physical attachments, an apple-branded POS, or "speed" like last time.

Or maybe they'll really think out of the box and worry about the big ones: letting real apps on the phone (latitude, G voice), actual bluetooth, or gasp another way to get apps on the phone.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Time Magazine ranks Motorola Droid above Apple iPhone for 2009