or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Time Magazine ranks Motorola Droid above Apple iPhone for 2009
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Time Magazine ranks Motorola Droid above Apple iPhone for 2009 - Page 3

post #81 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

The iPhone has reached its peak. There isn't anything major that can be added to the iPhone at this point. Sorry but there are no "game changers" as you like to put it.

Yeah, since Apple has never push through that wall with another new idea. Too bad they aren't innovative.
post #82 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Yeah grabbing a quote from 1943 in regard to technology. That sounds about right for you.

Short sightedness is timeless.
post #83 of 257
Just like "man of the year" doesn't mean "best man of the year", the "Number one gadget" doesn't mean the "best gadget." I would tend to agree with Time, that the Android is a far more important gadget this year than the 3GS.
post #84 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

Avec du style??? T'as tort, mon vieux. A vrai dire, c'est tjs la guerre de tous contre tous. Honteuse et stupide.

Vous avez complètement détruit mon image de noble français rivalité.

"Communiste!"

Socialiste!

"Non, Communiste!"

Socialiste!

Assez! Nous sommes des réformateurs!
post #85 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasdarq View Post

All poor choices, albeit Stalin may have warranted making it three years in a row from 1943 to 1945.

In that context, yes, I can see that.
post #86 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

*yawn*

Seen it all before.

http://tamspalm.tamoggemon.com/2009/...ion-benchmark/

http://palm.pdablast.com/articles/20...-Ranks-in.html

It's all fun and games until the next iPhone. Then it's back to the drawing board for everyone else.

yawn

yawn

yea me too
iphone is untouchable
no pun intended

peace

9

TIMEe needs too sell mag s'
so they will pander to the lowest form of yellow journalism
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #87 of 257
I would like to see the decision makers' bank records, please.
post #88 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Vous avez complètement détruit mon image de noble français rivalité.
"Communiste!"
Socialiste!
"Non, Communiste!"
Socialiste!
Assez! Nous sommes des réformateurs!


Mauvaise pioche. D'habitude on respecte les rivaux politiques. C'est pas comme chez nos amis américains.

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

Reply

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

Reply
post #89 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasdarq View Post

All poor choices, albeit Stalin may have warranted making it three years in a row from 1943 to 1945.

wow


TIME sucks
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #90 of 257
This will only motivate Apple to work harder and add the feature we're looking for. My hope is it'll make them dig deep on creating a new form factor.
post #91 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post


Mauvaise pioche. D'habitude on respecte les rivaux politiques. C'est pas comme chez nos amis américains.

Hehe, I was totally thinking of that dinner-table scene from Apocalypse Now. Loved it!

N'étant pas américain, je suis soulagé en ce sens. En fait, ici au Canada, nous sommes accusés d'avoir *trop* respect pour nos adversaires politiques. Mais au moins nos Québécois frères et soeurs animent choses un peu!
post #92 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

And Bush deserved it, don't lump him with the other criminals.

Bush and the Treasury created a wonderful real estate bubble that put a lot of people to work. Only fools didn't know what it was.

It was the Congress that changed hands under Bush and California (yea that bankrupt I.O.U giving California) liberal socialist ideals that got some banks AND the government controlled Freddie and Fannie into the failure of the sub-prime market in 2005. Their failure to adhere to the tried and true three rules of lending: Credit, Collateral and Character; is the primary reason our economy is in the mess that's it's in.

The Bush Treasury had to take control and fire the CEO's of both Freddie and Fannie, after repeatably warning the out of control new Congress about their "Socializing the risks and privatizing the profits" - Alan Greenspan to Congress, concerning the two GSE's. It's this stopping of their socialist "everyone has a right to own a house" ideals is the reason they blamed the Bush administration for the near worldwide economic collapse, when it really was their fault of irresponsible mandatory lending to the GSE's and banks under the Community Reinvestment Act revisions made by socialist Bill Clinton.


In a real estate bubble, it's speculative, a game of musical chairs, the last owning the property loses.

It's a game not for the working, struggling or the poor. But the Democratic controlled Congress made it so.

Conservative banks are doing fine today. The banks that managed to dump their toxic sub-prime mortgages before the bubble blew are also doing ok. Everyone who prepared for the downside are doing ok today.

Everyone who has taken even a entry level economics course in high school know what a post real estate bubble recession is. What made this one so much worse was the sub-prime.

Rich people usually only gamble with what they have extra, not their only house.

Where did the first and most banks fail than anywhere else? California.

Where the sub-prime lending mess started? California.

Where is the "home" of the liberal media empire? California.

Read Charles Gasperino's book: The Sellout. Explains who is responsible for making this mess worse than it is.

First of all, Time Magazine's Man of the Year is not selected on the basis of the accomplishments of the person selected, but rather on the headlines this person made throughout the year. Hitler made the headline because of, well; we know WWII's history. Stalin, again because he managed to successfully push back against Hitler and his army. As per GWB, a war criminal in his own right, he got the man of the year title because he miraculously managed to convince people to vote for him again.

Finally, you are partially correct about the housing market. However, the reason why the financial markets came to the brink of collapse is because of credit default swaps and other risky investments that the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), a commission composed of five members, three of which are from the same party as the president (in this case, Republican Party) who are APPOINTED BY THE PRESIDENT with CONGRESS' CONSENT, failed to regulate Wall Street and their risky investments. As you can see, the Democratic controlled congress isn't solely responsible to blame.

The world isn't black and white and not everyone can make the subtle distinctions among the many shades of gray. This is an Apple News forum, not a political forum.

On that note, the only thing that Android has going for it, in my opinion, is the screen resolution; it definitely blows the iPhone out of the water. That said, I wouldn't give up my iPhone for an Droid.
post #93 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

They are talking about the Droid hardware not the Verizon or ATT network. Most users could care less about simultaneous voice and data, its just become a pathetic talking point for ATT users. Verizons network blows away ATT.

before the iphone i specifically remembering having to hang up on people to call them back from anything to getting directions and getting info off the web or even answering a yahoo im.

Most ppl have not learned the value of this feature, now that apple is promoting this feature ON the ATT network

Yesterday I had to prove to my roommate on BB on the Tmobile network that you can not do simultaneous data and voice, he thought and swore he had before. But first I called him while he surfed and it went to straight to voicemail....then he called me and tried to surf and DENIED!....

Once this become wildly known, this will destroy verizon's superior claim on their inferior old technology network with a phone only designed to use in North America. Great long term strategy Motorola...
post #94 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asherian View Post

Again, you guys should read the actual article. They didn't say the Droid was better or a bigger success.

As for propaganda rag, that's precisely what this site is. Not Time. Suggest you strongly, strongly analyze what is going on here.

For instance, the article here focuses on the 100,000 figure from the initial weekend sales (which is the low end estimate). The Droid actually sold 700,000-800,000 in November, which is a very, very high number for a new phone.


This is the most blatantly propagandist site I have seen, every article is hopelessly skewed towards Apple, followed by loads of people dismissing products they haven't any real experience of. 100,000 in the first weekend, IN THE STATES ALONE. The 3GS was released worldwide. Just an example but you could pick any article on here.

I also agree with a previous (non-blinkered) poster. I bought a 3GS and realised that other than a bit more speed i had just been sold the same phone. For 3 years in a row. Game changer? I don't where Apple go here, they have been caught and surpassed. I don't use my phone as an ipod, so as a mail client/personal organiser and multi tasking device the iphone does not hit the mark. Apple have had three cracks at it and what have they delivered that is new in the last one? Two functions that were in every other phone on the planet.
post #95 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by eehd View Post

First of all, Time Magazine's Man of the Year is not selected on the basis of the accomplishments of the person selected, but rather on the headlines this person made throughout the year. Hitler made the headline because of, well; we know WWII's history. Stalin, again because he managed to successfully push back against Hitler and his army. As per GWB, a war criminal in his own right, he got the man of the year title because he miraculously managed to convince people to vote for him again.

Finally, you are partially correct about the housing market. However, the reason why the financial markets came to the brink of collapse is because of credit default swaps and other risky investments that the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), a commission composed of five members, three of which are from the same party as the president (in this case, Republican Party) who are APPOINTED BY THE PRESIDENT with CONGRESS' CONSENT, failed to regulate Wall Street and their risky investments. As you can see, the Democratic controlled congress isn't solely responsible to blame.

The world isn't black and white and not everyone can make the subtle distinctions among the many shades of gray. This is an Apple News forum, not a political forum.

On that note, the only thing that Android has going for it, in my opinion, is the screen resolution; it definitely blows the iPhone out of the water. That said, I wouldn't give up my iPhone for an Droid.

A sensible post.
post #96 of 257
Tongue in cheek comment (I think) ... Probably means Time Inc. have a deal with Google to use the up coming Google Tablet Software (for any manufacturer of a cheap tablet) for their digital magazine .... of course Google will have to wait for the Apple tablet before, cough cough 'designing their own'
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Reply
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Reply
post #97 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaramanga89 View Post

This is the most blatantly propagandist site I have seen, every article is hopelessly skewed towards Apple,

Apple makes it very easy, I'm afraid. Yes, they're just that good. And we revel in it. It's best to just join in the fun.
post #98 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asherian View Post

Have you played with one? I'm a mobile app developer and I make versions of my app for iPhone, Android, WebOS, and Blackberry and I play with all of the phones.

The Droid feels great in the hand. Its "horrible" outer shell feels far more durable and "industrial" than the iPhone, its harder edges really reinforce that solid feeling. The phone is remarkably thin for one with a physical keyboard, which is a very nice addition. It's the first phone with Android 2.0 support, which includes Google's turn-by-turn GPS out of the box and other goodies. It's got a completely wide-open app market without Apple's inconsistent and arbitrary and lengthy app review process.

There's a lot to love about the Droid, and certainly a lot of "new" things that could invigorate the market. Apple missed the boat by not even tweaking the appearance of the iPhone 3GS this year, so as a result it feels somewhat stale in the eyes of many even though it's better than ever. While the iPhone 3GS is an incremental improvement over the iPhone 3G, Motorola Droid is an all-new phone that's actually the best non-iPhone out there. It intentionally takes design and aesthetics away from the direction Apple is taking. While for many here, you'll call it heresy but there's a lot of reasonable people in this world that would think otherwise...

I'm sure most of you here won't "buy" this. And that's fine, I won't waste my breath on it anymore. Just know there are other phones out there than the iPhone, and some of them feel very fresh in contrast to the iPhone's slight tweak in 2009. The ranking makes perfect sense, even if it makes some people cry. It is NOT saying the Droid is "better" than the iPhone. The people who think that clearly don't understand such lists, which focus on game changers or refreshing ideas or innovation. Stop pretending like it's some CNET review piece or something.

An excellent post, unfortunately over the heads of most of the knee-jerk don't-say-anything-that could-be-construed-as-negative-'bout-my-precious- iphone-apple-jobs..."
post #99 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfyearsun View Post

Most users *couldn't* care less because they've never tried it. I can't stand having phone calls on EDGE because of that now.

Ten years ago most users *couldn't* care less about text because they could just call the person.

Thank you, you beat me to it. It is hard to take seriously anyone saying 'could care less' meaning the opposite lol.
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Reply
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Reply
post #100 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Yeah grabbing a quote from 1943 in regard to technology. That sounds about right for you.


Well, bashing Apple sounds about right for you.
post #101 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

The iPhone has reached its peak. There isn't anything major that can be added to the iPhone at this point. Sorry but there are no "game changers" as you like to put it.

And there is a ton of stuff that can be added to the Droid?

The thing with Android is that there is no hardware standard. Its a hodge podge. Shit, some older phones won't run Android 2.0.

LOL!
post #102 of 257
One thing I can say is that if you don't use AT&T, and refuse to, you have limited choices. Right now, Droid seems to be the best of those limited choices. I have friends that have been asking me about getting an iPhone or Droid and some of them simply say they can't stand AT&T, so they get the Droid. What can you say? Apple needs to do multiple carriers. As long as the top carrier has a viable alternative like Droid, it's only going to get stronger in the market. Apple needs a deal with Verizon.
post #103 of 257
I agree with others: The Droid was ranked over the iPhone because the Droid is new and not necessarily better.

As for AT&T: This says it all: http://gizmodo.com/5422497/att-ceo-a...rge-more-money
post #104 of 257
In a sense I don’t disagree with Time choosing Droid over the iPhone, simply because the Droid is new and the iPhone (as a product line) is not. iPhone may be superior but in a sense it’s not a 2009 product and thus out of the running.

But I certainly wouldn’t say “best of all” in reference to Verizon’s inability to talk AND use the Internet at once. That is NOT “best of breed” 3G.

By the way, I have a good friend with a Droid. The verdict: awesome screen, voice-directed GPS is great, slow and confusing UI, terrible battery life, poor camera, poor browser (no pinch zoom) and bulky. It’s still pretty cool as a toy (and a fine GPS), but I don’t think I could stomach $30 a month for a data plan and not have a better experience than that.
post #105 of 257
Ahh, this is why I rarely check out these forums. Pages and pages of whining whenever anyone chooses any product other than an Apple one for a "best" list.
post #106 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruel24 View Post

...Apple needs to do multiple carriers. As long as the top carrier has a viable alternative like Droid, it's only going to get stronger in the market. Apple needs a deal with Verizon.

I agree that Apple needs to do multiple carriers, but with the bad blood between Verizon and AT&T (and Apple to a lesser extent), it doesn't look promising for a Verizon iPhone next year. Of course, I could be wrong and Apple may surprise all of us next summer.
post #107 of 257
This is not a surprise. Ignoring the fact that Time Magazine is not a great source for judgment on new technology, this is looking at this year in particular. Thus, this would be judging iPhone 3GS innovation vs. iPhone 3G, not on a necessarily level playing field. So yes, Droid probably is more Innovative in its own right (especially seeing how it's on Verizon) than the iPhone is compared to previous iPhones, even if this is purely because nobody has been able to come out with a solution even remotely competitive with the iPhone. I would still never even consider a Droid, but some people are, so to each his own.
post #108 of 257
Wow is that a list up for the highest bidder!
post #109 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilMole View Post

Ahh, this is why I rarely check out these forums. Pages and pages of whining whenever anyone chooses any product other than an Apple one for a "best" list.

Well, it is an Apple rumor site after all. Of course you're going to find a bunch of Apple fans over here. And yes, some may take things a little too seriously, but hey, that's human nature.
post #110 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

This Time ranking is inexplicable. .

nope, I think it's explicable -- Times rankings must be for sale.
post #111 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

I would however hardly say the Droid OS is looking sad. I used the Droid for about a week and its very good gen1 phone. Android will only get better, is not like the iPhone was perfect when it first came out. Far from it.

Definitely! That is just plain vanilla Android OS. After seeing what HTC has done on the Hero with their Sense GUI, I can say that the Android OS is far from sad as well. And on top of that, the Droid just got rooted. Here come the onslaught of customizable GUIs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

The Droid's interface looks *different*. Might be part of the novelty, might not.

It's not that it just "looks" different. It is different. Three screen for live widgets. Live ticker-tape for your stocks, live Facebook and Twitter widgets that post automatically when you type in them, and many more. A simple drag-down menu for all your notifications. It's pulled away from having to press an icon to open an app to use it. The ones you constantly use are right there at the ready. Though the icon grid is still around in the form of that drag up menu. Is any of this coming for the iPhone in its next iteration?


What I'd like to see is how the HTC Bravo/Passion will change things in 2010. Better screen (AMOLED!), larger screen, faster processor, better body design (slimmer than the iPhone!)... All with the amazing Sense that the Hero has.
\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
Reply
\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
Reply
post #112 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmalloy View Post

Wow is that a list up for the highest bidder!

Did you think Motorola and Verizon spent/will spend the Droids $100 million marketing campaign on TV ads only?

I am surprised that the Palm Pre, which everyone was the second most talked about phone in 2009, is not the first. But I guess poor Palm don't have what it takes ($$$$$).
post #113 of 257
Geez, how completely ridiculous. Time has no clue. The iPhone 3GS, together with the App Store, is a far more compelling product. I fee so sorry for the poor consumer who actually takes Time's advice and buys a Droid. So sad for them.
post #114 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Just like "man of the year" doesn't mean "best man of the year", the "Number one gadget" doesn't mean the "best gadget." I would tend to agree with Time, that the Android is a far more important gadget this year than the 3GS.

EXACTLY. Doesn't say the Android is better than the 3GS, but that the Android made more of a stir than the 3GS this year. (As for the fan thing? I never heard about it.)

What really gets me, is the backlash I see on this site. Who cares if TIME decided to name Android the gadget of the year? If you like your iPhone, than that should be enough for you. Seeing how many people this little bit is getting under their skin makes me sad inside. Criticism is good, and competition is good. It means that Apple can (hopefully) launch a stir causing phone next year!

Please folks, keep it in perspective! Take it all in stride. If you are proud in the company you spend money on, then be humble with things like this, and continue to be proud. An article that says something like this doesn't mean your product is all the sudden not your favorite (at least I hope not). If it however makes you feel that all the sudden you may be "un-cool" for liking Apple, then you should seek help. Don't be sour losers. You didn't loose anything!
Go Linux, Choose a Flavor!
"I aim to misbehave"
Reply
Go Linux, Choose a Flavor!
"I aim to misbehave"
Reply
post #115 of 257
Quote:
"Motorola then portrays its Droid as a fast, efficient device that isn't worried about looks."

Thus, the Droid's nerd-appeal.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #116 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

EXACTLY. Doesn't say the Android is better than the 3GS, but that the Android made more of a stir than the 3GS this year. (As for the fan thing? I never heard about it.)

What really gets me, is the backlash I see on this site. Who cares if TIME decided to name Android the gadget of the year? If you like your iPhone, than that should be enough for you. Seeing how many people this little bit is getting under their skin makes me sad inside. Criticism is good, and competition is good. It means that Apple can (hopefully) launch a stir causing phone next year!

Please folks, keep it in perspective! Take it all in stride. If you are proud in the company you spend money on, then be humble with things like this, and continue to be proud. An article that says something like this doesn't mean your product is all the sudden not your favorite (at least I hope not). If it however makes you feel that all the sudden you may be "un-cool" for liking Apple, then you should seek help. Don't be sour losers. You didn't loose anything!

The Palm Pre made most stir this year than the Droid. Everyone was talking about the Pre since the day it was announced in January 2009. Believe me it is all about who pays more and has nothing to do with logic.
post #117 of 257
The Palm Pre had more buzz than the Droid, where is the Pre on the list?
post #118 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Thank you, you beat me to it. It is hard to take seriously anyone saying 'could care less' meaning the opposite lol.

Both forms of usage are correct. Check any usage reference source. (We go through this about once every six months on this Forum!).
post #119 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

EXACTLY. Doesn't say the Android is better than the 3GS, but that the Android made more of a stir than the 3GS this year. (As for the fan thing? I never heard about it.)

What really gets me, is the backlash I see on this site. Who cares if TIME decided to name Android the gadget of the year? If you like your iPhone, than that should be enough for you. Seeing how many people this little bit is getting under their skin makes me sad inside. Criticism is good, and competition is good. It means that Apple can (hopefully) launch a stir causing phone next year!

Please folks, keep it in perspective! Take it all in stride. If you are proud in the company you spend money on, then be humble with things like this, and continue to be proud. An article that says something like this doesn't mean your product is all the sudden not your favorite (at least I hope not). If it however makes you feel that all the sudden you may be "un-cool" for liking Apple, then you should seek help. Don't be sour losers. You didn't loose anything!

Very well said.

But had TIME given the #1 spot to the iPhone 3GS, there would be almost none of the backlash and nothing but praise for the ranking.
\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
Reply
\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
Reply
post #120 of 257
I think this souhld shed some light on the perepsctive we might take when thinking about this

From TIME's list:

http://www.time.com/time/specials/pa...945379,00.html

1. Motorola Droid: Everybody likes Android, Google's open-source smartphone operating system. But a smartphone operating system isn't all that satisfying without an actual kick-ass smartphone wrapped around it. Now Android has one: The Droid is a hefty beast, a metal behemoth without the gloss and finish of the iPhone, but you don't miss it. The Droid's touchscreen is phenomenally sharp and vivid, it has an actual physical (not great, but good enough) keyboard, and best of all, the Droid is on Verizon's best-of-breed 3G network. It's Android's first credible challenge to the iPhone. Price: $300.

2. The Nook

3. Dyson Air Multiplier

4. iPhone 3GS: Take the iPhone. Make it faster. There, you're done. Yes, the 3GS has a better camera — with video. And it has a compass and voice control. Those are all improvements over the original. But the main point of, and the best thing about, the new iPhone is speed. It has more of it. Period. Price: $200 to $300.

5. Canon EOS-1D Mark IV

6. Dell Adamo XPS

7. FinePix Real 3D W1

8. Casio G-Shock GW7900B-1

9. Beats Solo by Dr. Dre

10. Panasonic G10 Series Plasma HDTVs
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Time Magazine ranks Motorola Droid above Apple iPhone for 2009