or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › AT&T warns of coming clamp-down on iPhone data hogs
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AT&T warns of coming clamp-down on iPhone data hogs - Page 4

post #121 of 213
Is this a case of AT&T being able to change the terms of a contract in the middle of the contract. Meaning if I signed up last week for the $30/mo. unlimited data plan that they can limit my usage before my two year contract expires, and if I don't like it I can cancel my service and pay an ETF? Big balls for someone about to lose their butt next year.
post #122 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

That's because you don't understand that no carrier literally offer "unlimited" data, they all have soft caps in the fine print of the contract. The soft cap is a contractual safeguard that helps the carrier take action if too many people hog bandwidth.

Who doesn't understand this?
I don't think anyone here needs your explanation.

My point is if you advertise it with the word "unlimited" there should not be any cap no matter what.
If the cap is 5GB, just say 5GB not "unlimited"!

AT&T is trying to escape from their responsibilities by bringing hatred of some of their subscribers who are paying for and using something as they advertised.
post #123 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent909 View Post

Is this a case of AT&T being able to change the terms of a contract in the middle of the contract. Meaning if I signed up last week for the $30/mo. unlimited data plan that they can limit my usage before my two year contract expires, and if I don't like it I can cancel my service and pay an ETF? Big balls for someone about to lose their butt next year.

Yes if they choose to change the contract terms they can. You can cancel your service but you wont have to pay an ETF, you get out of your contract with no loss (in fact it would most likely be AT&Ts loss if you just started your contract since they dont recoup iphone costs for almost 2 years)
post #124 of 213
I looked over it again, you are right it does not specifically say for the iPhone. The contract does say that if you are tethering your phone and consistently using over 5GB a month, AT&T has the right to charge you more or disconnect your service.

If you are consistently over 5GB, you are likely tethering your phone, and then subject to this part of the contract.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifail View Post

Thats only for the data cards they use for wifi, not the iphone
post #125 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by DominoXML View Post

Or just stop being an all-you-can-eat restaurant when the regular customers aren't happy with the resulting quality due to a wrong mixed calculation and look for alternative offers.
Hm, I missed the exclusive contract thing in the US.

Perhaps the end of exclusivity could be a chance for AT&T...

Exactly.
Instead of bringing hatred and paying lawyers big money for stupid lawsuit, they should spend time and money on fixing the problem. Put more money they get from the unexpected millions of new customers back to the network, change their plan structure, stop advertising and selling fake "unlimited" plan, etc.
Just not blame some of their customers who are paying for and using their service as advertised.
post #126 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I remember that. The fine print says they can change the plans at any time since the contract is to hold you to the plan not the other way around. But if they essentially rip up the contract then you no longer are tied to that contract by law. I’ve seen it work for and against consumers. For being ones that wanted to switch carriers but didn’t want to incur a cancelation fee.

Works for me! So my mandatory " $30 Unlimited Data" gets charged again even though they charge me for texting (which is data BTW). I can then cancel my contract with AT&T without a penalty then I will do so!! :-) Then I will just jailbreak my iPhone 3GS and go to T-Mobile for half the price!!! Wooohooo I would be saving money!!!
Sounds like a winner to me...........

Tallest Skil:


"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."


 


 

Reply

Tallest Skil:


"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."


 


 

Reply
post #127 of 213
this upsets me just enough to constantly stream pandora on my iphone instead of listening to my music. i renewed my contract when the 3gs came out, so i've got a while to force all your call to drop. muah ha ha.
post #128 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifail View Post

Thats only for the data cards they use for wifi, not the iphone




When your usages effects 80+ million customers from being able to enjoy the network due to your rampant use it abuses the service.



Thats your fault you pay an extra 20 bucks a month for what you dont need. What sucks is the fact people abusing their services makes the 100 dollars a month i spend for AT&T just completely reek and i dont even use an iPhone! I dont like AT&T service as much as the next but lets be real here, the issues comes not only from iphone users but most ABUSERS.

I'm not chanting for the mega corp but when 3% of your users eat nearly half your available bandwith that is not fair to the 80+ million people who pay for the same damn service and not expect to get atleast one dropped call a day or have their network flipflop from 3G to Edge (and in turn kill the battery of the phone sooner cause its constantly searching for 3G). I expect them to come in and say "enough is enough" and get a handle on some things.

You are clearly someone who most likely uses more than their fair share of the internet (you sound like it). Im sure your parents taught you that if you abuse something, it gets taken away. They could put a 5GB cap and i wouldnt care, they could do tiered pricing and id probably be happy if it brings my bill down, but if them making YOU PAY MORE FOR YOUR USAGE improves my network, then i'm all for it

Don't think so buddy! - By the way, how much is AT&T or some other Socialist group out there paying you to say this garbage?

My contract is for UNLIMITED BANDWIDTH. PERIOD. I do think that if people want to pay less for less bandwidth usage, AT&T should offer cheaper deals for them; however, they should leave our unlimited bandwidth usage alone (and at the same price).

As time passes, these cell phone companies need to INVEST (i.e. use the $$ we pay them) in NEW and FASTER networks such as the 4g network (http://www.4gnetwork.com/).

Streaming videos and media is just the tip of the iceberg. AT&T and others need to build their networks up to handle the load. It may take a while; however, they need to be progressing and not regressing. This whole scheme is just a way to gouge consumers so the big wigs up top can make an extra buck. Its no different than the price gouging that goes on at the gas pumps.

Check out Stop the Cap at:
http://stopthecap.com

Quote:
... the “us vs. them” mentality promulgated by many companies attempting to argue for caps and tiered pricing is designed to manipulate public opinion by engendering fictional stereotypes of “bandwidth hogs” and “abusers,” suggesting that some people are unfairly benefiting from overuse of services at another’s expense. Some providers have admitted that the cost of delivering the service is nearly the same no matter how much bandwidth is consumed, and many companies already offer under-marketed “lite” user plans for those only accessing the Internet occasionally. Provider bills are notorious for never decreasing, only increasing. Despite industry manipulation of consumer fears, customers recognize the fact they have never received a cable bill that has “gone down.” They only go up.
post #129 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Just where are you?

Quad Cities (Davenport, IA Region).... If I was anywhere else in Iowa I wouldn't have 3G at all.

Can I give my 'unlimited' bandwidth to someone else? maybe they can use it?
post #130 of 213
<channels Molly Wood>
WTG AT&T Execs! Display your ignorance for all to see so that we don't have to speculate anymore. What a stupid, threatening thing to say to your own customers.

These so-called "abusers" and "data hogs" are your best and most excited customers. They actually put up with your poor network quality and pay you for your services anyway. The fact that they're using lots of data means that they're running around, dodging the dead zones in your network and limiting their "mobile" lives to your coverage map. Its not like Apple would allow a bittorent client on their phone that would eat up any available bandwidth. The folks you call "data hogs" are also known as users. If your network can't balance the load from the users you've signed up, that's your own problem. You should have included the price of the necessary upgrades in your contracts with Apple and with users and rolled those improvements out by now.

Idiots...
</channels Molly Wood>
post #131 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by technohermit View Post


It will be really childish whining when the plans are 500MB per month for $30, and up from there. Then the real crying begins.

Actually, I think that's when the leaving begins...
post #132 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

What a stupid argument. I bet you are one of those sucking all the data.

In the first place there are already caps on the data. There isn't an "unlimited" plan in existence in any country that's truly unlimited.

Secondly, why should someone who just gets email have to pay the same amount as someone who is watching live TV 24/7? This isn't a penalty on high data users more than it is a return to sanity in pricing.

My contract allows for 6 Gigabytes of data a month for $30.00 plus hidden fees and taxes. This is a very generous plan by most standards, but I only use perhaps 20 or 30 Megabytes of data myself. Anyone streaming more than 6 Gigs of data a month certainly deserves to pay more, and people like myself who need a data contract, but only need a few hundred MBs should pay substantially less. This is just common sense and fairness.

Behaviour won't be modified if there is no cost to said behaviour. Some assh*le abusing the bandwidth won't stop doing it if there is no cost to him.

Yes, I'm one of them 'hogging' all the data....what u don't seem to understand is, whatever new pricing plan at&t comes out with, it is doubtful that the lowest price will be less than $30/mth

So you thinking that this will benefit you....it won't...

Fairness is, if you advertise an unlimited plan....keep it unlimited...I don't care if you want to put a soft limit to monitor data usage....as long as you don't charge me for it...

Another point of note: Some months I may use over 6 GB of data, some moths i may use less than 1B....if my plan is capped at say 5 GB, will I be reimbursed for my 4 GB I didnt use? or will I be able to add them to my next month? If there tethering plans are anything to go by....I doubt it....
post #133 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by heulenwolf View Post

<channels Molly Wood>
WTG AT&T Execs! Display your ignorance for all to see so that we don't have to speculate anymore. What a stupid, threatening thing to say to your own customers.

These so-called "abusers" and "data hogs" are your best and most excited customers. They actually put up with your poor network quality and pay you for your services anyway. The fact that they're using lots of data means that they're running around, dodging the dead zones in your network and limiting their "mobile" lives to your coverage map. Its not like Apple would allow a bittorent client on their phone that would eat up any available bandwidth. The folks you call "data hogs" are also known as users. If your network can't balance the load from the users you've signed up, that's your own problem. You should have included the price of the necessary upgrades in your contracts with Apple and with users and rolled those improvements out by now.

Idiots...
</channels Molly Wood>

I agree with you 100%....iPhone users have given at&t a much needed boost regardless of poor coverage and dropped calls rate....Then they come out threatening to charge more because that is the easiest way to reduce load on the network....

Would it not be more beneficial for them right now to invest in network infrastructure to accommodate the iPhone and all the other data hogs that are eventually gonna come out in the future?
post #134 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by druble View Post

Typical fanboy attitude that it's a crime that they might lose their unlimited data because they hog all of it. Forget about all the users that their IPhone is ruining service for. As long as they have their unlimited data, forget about everyone else. Typical if you ask me. Get Windows Mobile phones, they don't hog up bandwidth like an IPhone, they have hundreds of thosands more apps than an IPhone, no restrictions on what you can develop and what you can run, and they don't ruin peoples networks. I'll continue to enjoy my Omnia which is far superior to IPhones, and I will enjoy my unlimited data from Verizon that is always nice and fast and has 3G coverage wherever I go, from CA to LA

The iPhone user uses 10 times the data because it is usable. The other phones don't use data because they are not usable. If the apps are crap and the system is like using dos, then you will not use much bandwidth!
post #135 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post

You're the moron--going into you childish tirade over something you clearly don't understand.

No one could have predicted the astounding success of the iPhone or the impact on AT&T's network. You expect them to magically snap their fingers and the bandwidth is there for all you spoiled brats? No. It takes a huge amount of planning, permitting, construction, equipment logistics, personnel, etc., etc. This all takes time.

In the mean time the various strains on the bandwidth have to be tempered somehow so that it can be more equitably apportioned.

Any "moron" can and did predict the iPhone's success loud and clear above the din of clueless idiots like yourself.

I expect to be delivered EXACTLY WHAT I PAY FOR: Unlimited Service.

Put your head back into your ass now. Thanks.
post #136 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSkiles26 View Post

Don't think so buddy! - By the way, how much is AT&T or some other Socialist group out there paying you to say this garbage?

My contract is for UNLIMITED BANDWIDTH. PERIOD. I do think that if people want to pay less for less bandwidth usage, AT&T should offer cheaper deals for them; however, they should leave our unlimited bandwidth usage alone (and at the same price).

As time passes, these cell phone companies need to INVEST (i.e. use the $$ we pay them) in NEW and FASTER networks such as the 4g network (http://www.4gnetwork.com/).

Streaming videos and media is just the tip of the iceberg. AT&T and others need to build their networks up to handle the load. It may take a while; however, they need to be progressing and not regressing. This whole scheme is just a way to gouge consumers so the big wigs up top can make an extra buck. Its no different than the price gouging that goes on at the gas pumps.

Are you high on crack right now? Your unlimited bandwith that YOU suck up makes MY service suck. YOU hogging up bandwith brings the networks to its knees and its struggling. I am not making an excuse for AT&T and its crap network, it needs to be fixed and expanded asap, but im not making an excuse for you either. The crap service stems directly from users exorbitantly abusing the term unlimited and illegally tether and stream constantly like their sitting at a PC.

Also, as much as we would like OTA wireless internet =/= cable internet with fiber optics
post #137 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifail View Post

Are you high on crack right now?

I think it's best to avoid making accusations like that.

Quote:
Your unlimited bandwith that YOU suck up makes MY service suck. YOU hogging up bandwith brings the networks to its knees and its struggling. I am not making an excuse for AT&T and its crap network, it needs to be fixed and expanded asap, but im not making an excuse for you either. The crap service stems directly from users exorbitantly abusing the term unlimited and illegally tether and stream constantly like their sitting at a PC.

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that AT&T have a good quality of service system set up so that high data use doesn't choke out non-data services.

I'm sure they are improving, just too slowly for my tastes.

I think it's inappropriate for internet providers to advertise unlimited service when it really isn't, it's kind of sleazy marketing.
post #138 of 213
It's best to leave out the slams when replying to other people. I don't know what has people so upset today, we've had more complaints today than I see in a typical week or even month. Maybe the snowstorm is aggravating people's stress levels.

I'm tempted to drop a banhammer on people that call others morons, idiots, etc. rather than just hand out infractions. I really don't care if you think it's the truth, if you're going to be that rude, then you really shouldn't be posting. Several days off should do people some good.
post #139 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by madeincupertino View Post

This is really terrible.

If they actually do this I hope (and believe) that people will make this into a huge PR disaster for AT&T.

They are obviously the worst network, bar none.

Instead of blaming their users they should be fixing their piece of sh1t network

I don't think this will be any kind of a PR disaster for AT&T. How much bandwidth is consumed on a little iPhone by 95% of the users? It's not like the iPhone is some kind of server.

Contrast this with Verizon Wireless who actually have a lot of 3G cards in people's laptops. Aren't those laptops using far more bandwidth than an iPhone???
post #140 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by echosonic View Post

I posted a rant that called nobody names and this jackass DanielSW decides to call me a moron, and you let it fly.

It got deleted an hour ago, shortly after you reported it. We can't nail this stuff immediately. We all do have other things to do with our time. I don't read AI during the day very much.

Quote:
Naturally, I responded in kind, and now you log in to offer a few warnings for people who are long gone?

Color me unsympathetic especially if someone flies off the handle like that. Someone wronging doesn't justify responding in kind. Just report it like you did, we don't need escalations.
post #141 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by echosonic View Post

I pay less than that [$30/month] for home internet and can download all f--king day and night, with no restrictions.

Before you go all hyperbolic--oh, wait, you already did--you do realize wireless internet is a whole different animal from wired broadband?
post #142 of 213
I really don't understand why fellow customers keep blaming other customers as if they were in direct competition with each other. Take a look at AT&T's quarterly earnings. Their wireless is not a problem. If they have any profit it's because of that.

Trying to switch to a tiered system is not to 'save' the network, or the bandwidth, or reduce dropped calls. It's a pure money grab because other areas are hemorrhaging money.

A tiered system would indeed start at $30 and unlimited would sky rocket from there. They aren't going to sacrifice what they know they can get. And if you're on a lesser tier that tiered limit will be so low that your grandma would go over the limit each month and pay exorbitant fees that would push her way over the $30 a month. Have you looked and done any research on the data limit and price per kb the phone companies charge for their data plans?

Please keep in mind that the unlimited for $30 was pretty much Apple's idea to get people to use the services the iPhone provides. Really, without the $30 unlimited most people would never use or have even bought the iPhone. And because of the iPhone mobile services have taken off.

I'm not saying the iPhone is perfect. In reality, it's a better example of how badly all the Nokias and Motorolas sucked at producing phones that people wanted and could be used for more than just a phone.

And lastly, it's really AT&T's fault for not being able to handle the capacity. They had a crappy network long before the iPhone came out. I'm just glad I live in a smaller area where I don't notice it as much. I'm sure the execs at AT&T have been ignoring what their network engineers have been telling them for years. "We need upgrades." "We need more bandwidth." "We need capacity for peak times."

After all, it's AT&T that's cashing the check. It's their responsibility to take care of the problem. Not the customers.
post #143 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

The problem lies with the 3%. Many of them are tethering to their computers! They are hurting the rest of us. We need tiered pricing. Why should someone who only uses 500MB pay the same as someone using 10GB? The lighter users would love to pay $15/mo for data...

They'd like to... But they will pay $30/month and heavy users will pay $90. I don't belive that AT&T will reduce price for lightweight user
American centrism dominates 50% of the population here. That half don't think outside the box ... or perhaps just don't think. © digitalclips
Reply
American centrism dominates 50% of the population here. That half don't think outside the box ... or perhaps just don't think. © digitalclips
Reply
post #144 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post

You pay for what you get. That's natural law. The only thing abusive here is yours and others' childish whining.

Its really not childish to expect what you pay for. I don't have an iPhone. But I would expect that Unlimited does indeed unlimited.
post #145 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Nassour View Post

Actually, I think that's when the leaving begins...

I'm with you in spirit. However, when the carriers all do it, there is no alternative for which to leave. It will happen, and we will pay. The stench of oligopolies chokes technological innovation in the States, and here is another fine example.

I've said this before and I'll repeat it here.
My wife has a phone with Verizon. It's an enV Touch. She has unlimited messaging (MMS+SMS). 450 minutes. No e-mail, no internet. Her bill comes to $82 a month after taxes and fees.
I have an iPhone 3G. On AT&T. 450 minutes, 200 texts. My bill after taxes and fees is $86.

For all of you who think Verizon Wireless is the pinnacle of service, the awesomeness that can rip off AT&T's head and poop down it's neck, good luck. They will never offer a truly competitive price point for the iPhone's services that you enjoy with AT&T.

Unless....AT&T is going to screw us with tiered pricing and caps. Then, and only then, will Verizon be competitive. For all the wrong reasons, mind you.
post #146 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

It's best to leave out the slams when replying to other people. I don't know what has people so upset today, we've had more complaints today than I see in a typical week or even month. Maybe the snowstorm is aggravating people's stress levels.

I'm tempted to drop a banhammer on people that call others morons, idiots, etc. rather than just hand out infractions. I really don't care if you think it's the truth, if you're going to be that rude, then you really shouldn't be posting. Several days off should do people some good.

People finally found out how to use that little exclamation point over there, eh

It truly dumbs a conversation down when people just pop insults back and forth. I'd rather read YouTube comments for that, thanks

Oh, and banhammer.
post #147 of 213
AT&T is rock solid where I am at and there are plenty of iPhone users here. Rarely a dropped call, download speeds average 1.5 Mbps and sometimes hits 2.2 Mbps. 850 Mhz spectrum. 7.2Mbps rollout here shortly. How can I complain?
post #148 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by gin_tonic View Post

They'd like to... But they will pay $30/month and heavy users will pay $90. I don't belive that AT&T will reduce price for lightweight user

They have to if they want to proof the fact that fair use helps to solve bandwidth problems and to show that they are trustworthy.

I'm no AT&T customer but I really would be glad to see a balanced and fair package of measures (including capacity expansion) being successful. I also demand a fair salary for my work - not more not less.

I'm not pleased about the "hot" discussions in this threat. As a dev I would much more like to see people enjoying technology we could not imagine some years ago instead of feeling they got too little for their money.
post #149 of 213
using more than their "fair share"??? it's an UNLIMITED plan!!!!!
post #150 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by technohermit View Post

I'm with you in spirit. However, when the carriers all do it, there is no alternative for which to leave. It will happen, and we will pay. The stench of oligopolies chokes technological innovation in the States, and here is another fine example.

I've said this before and I'll repeat it here.
My wife has a phone with Verizon. It's an enV Touch. She has unlimited messaging (MMS+SMS). 450 minutes. No e-mail, no internet. Her bill comes to $82 a month after taxes and fees.
I have an iPhone 3G. On AT&T. 450 minutes, 200 texts. My bill after taxes and fees is $86.

For all of you who think Verizon Wireless is the pinnacle of service, the awesomeness that can rip off AT&T's head and poop down it's neck, good luck. They will never offer a truly competitive price point for the iPhone's services that you enjoy with AT&T.

Unless....AT&T is going to screw us with tiered pricing and caps. Then, and only then, will Verizon be competitive. For all the wrong reasons, mind you.

depending on where you live, get t-mobile. they actually give you a discount for not being in a 2 year contract.

500 minutes, unlimited talk and text for $40/month. add web and it's $60
post #151 of 213
My plan is unlimited according to AT&T. That's what I signed up for. NO LIMIT.

(I'm not a bandwidth hog, but I'm just making a point.)
post #152 of 213
It's unlimited meaning all you can GET not all you can USE or all you WANT. By the way, no one has a contract longer than two years. All ATT has to do is wait until your contract expires or renews to implement a new policy.
post #153 of 213
It's super easy to be a bandwidth hog. For example lets say you enjoy pandora while at work. Here's a simple scenario that involves nothing but pandora:

Streaming Pandora at: 128 kbps

16,000 bytes per second

960,000 bytes per minute

57,000,000 bytes per hour (~57meg)

Assuming that you listen when you are at work:

9,216,000,000 bytes per month (based on 160 hours of work per month)

So you have used almost 10 gig of your infinity of bandwidth your contract says you can have.
That's without a single e-mail, web page, youtube video etc.
5 gig a month is easy even without tethering. So don't blame the jailbroken.


Sheldon
post #154 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

My plan is unlimited according to AT&T. That's what I signed up for. NO LIMIT.

A little critical thinking needs to be used. You signed a contract and that contract specifically stated what unlimited was.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #155 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by akhomerun View Post

using more than their "fair share"??? it's an UNLIMITED plan!!!!!

... which they can change.
post #156 of 213
I have a quick question. Is here any way that AT&T can tell if someone is "illegally" tethering other than higher than average bandwidth usage?
post #157 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

I have a quick question. Is here any way that AT&T can tell if someone is "illegally" tethering other than higher than average bandwidth usage?

They can infer it from the sorts of IP ports used. For example, you could be accepting connections on port 80 for example which means you are running a web server. if there was no web servers apps on the app store, then you are doing something not allowed with your connection. Accepting connections on port 23 would be an example of this and would mean that you are running a SSH server, which no non-jailbroken app does. So either you are jailbroken or you are tethering. Both are frowned upon.


Sheldon
post #158 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by akhomerun View Post

depending on where you live, get t-mobile. they actually give you a discount for not being in a 2 year contract.

500 minutes, unlimited talk and text for $40/month. add web and it's $60

T-Mobile sucks where I live, I know three different people who left them. And one is a very close friend of mine, who went to AT&T from there.

My previous example of V vs. AT&T was to tell the people who think the grass is greener on Verizon's side of the fence to stay on the fence...until they see where the prices go when Verizon gets iPhone. It is my honest opinion that much like the music industry, the phone companies haven't learned a thing. They are not interested in innovation, they are interested in money. If technology stopped where it was in 2006, they would have been happier. They could just continue to rob their customers.

Case in point:

I had two "smartphones" on Verizon's network. My first was a Treo 650, when that failed I got an HTC Apache running Windows Mobile. Terrible, horrible phones they were. I could get emails though, and for the $100+ Verizon charged me a month I was sick in the head to do it. Trust me, if they get the iPhone, it will not be cheaper than I was paying for those other two phones. It simply cannot be. My wife's phone pricing solidifies my thinking. If a enV goes for $82 a month, a data hogging iPhone surely is worth $120 a month, right?

Oh, and that is why AT&T is crying foul now, because people are hooked on the data and will pay. They'll bitch, but they will pay more. The sad thing is, these prices should be dropping, and they aren't. For another place to see where you are bleeding money, see the Berkman Broadband Study.
post #159 of 213
I'm sure AT&T realizes that there will ALWAYS be a top 3% of users who abuse the system. They realize it very well, as they will always have users who use more data than everyone else. That's the beauty of percentages.

When a phone can easily attain 2000-3000 kb/s, a 5 GB limit is unrealistic to say the least. I also suspect a lot of this network traffic will disappear when Verizon gets their iPhone. Many people unhappy with AT&T will jump ship and reduce the load significantly.

This is just another money grab from a cell provider. The state of US broadband and cell providers is pathetic with little or no competition and overpriced internet access.

You can get 100 MB/s overseas (and faster) for far less than the typical cost of .5-10 MB's you get here in theUS. What's wrong with this picture?
3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 / iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 6 Plus 64GB /iPad with Retina Display 64 GB
Reply
3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 / iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 6 Plus 64GB /iPad with Retina Display 64 GB
Reply
post #160 of 213
So does that mean I can pay less for using less than average data? I hate paying $30/month for a few MBs.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › AT&T warns of coming clamp-down on iPhone data hogs