or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple offers free taste of iTunes LP format with 'Holiday Sampler'
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple offers free taste of iTunes LP format with 'Holiday Sampler' - Page 2

post #41 of 57
Hey I might be persuaded to buy one of the nine LP's available in the Australian iTunes store if I could try a sampler like this first...

...oh well, back to basking in ignorance unless my Uncle Torrence can get it for me as a Christmas gift.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #42 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG4G View Post

Apple really needed to do this; how is anyone supposed to trust that an LP is worth the cash if they have to shell out the cash just to find out? Good move on Apple's part, probably because they saw iTunes LP sales were slack for this very reason.

this is one album that is going for free. it's not like you can sample the actual LP format of an album. you can still only get a tiny clip of the tracks.

the LP and the Extras are going to be a looser form cause they are being made by the original artist. they are not some cookie cutter gig by Apple. all this holiday thing is getting you in a free way to make sure your system can play a properly coded LP and an idea of the general idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Something free from Apple?
Did hell freeze over again was it the Red Sea that parted?

you act like it is something new for the itunes store. but in fact they do free tracks and videos every week. if you'd bother to look you would know this.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #43 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

...oh well, back to basking in ignorance unless my Uncle Torrence can get it for me as a Christmas gift.

He is really a generous uncle though
post #44 of 57
Presonally, I care about iTunes LP as much as I care for the whole "I want the physical media (CD/vinyl etc) for the packaging" argument...

In other words, I don't care.

I don't buy music for fancy cover art, or printed lyrics, or Photoshopped photos of the band, or some liner notes of who cleaned what toilet in the studio.

I hated fancy gatefold record covers back in the day (any album by Yes). I hated stupid fold out tape covers that were so contrived it was like an origami project putting them back together (U2 - Achtung Baby). I hate stupid CD packaging (Tool - 10,000 Days) ... mostly because when you buy something like this you realize that the packaging may be cool, but the music is half assed (ALL of the above mentioned albums).

I buy music for the music. I'll take 12 excellent songs and a pixelated jpg of the cover for $9.99 over $14 for 2 good songs, 5 ok songs, 5 crappy songs (or in the case of this promo, twenty shitty songs), and an MS Technet sized website worth of useless info any day.
post #45 of 57
Btw, the Stephen Colbert song is great...

Plus they have the lyrics right there..,
post #46 of 57
OK, maybe this is just an artifact of the demo formatting, but if you click on any album artwork, expecting that iTunes LP might have some additional content, it throws you into the iTunes store, which I find irritating. No links back to iTunes LP either (the back button just takes you to the last place you were in the store), so you have to go to your library and find it again.

Hope this isn't standard; I think most people expect "a rich multi-media experience" to link to its own media, not a store, unless explicitly labeled.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #47 of 57
Here's another gripe-- if you browse the collection by "artist", you get a few pictures and a little bio, but there's no way to click through to hear a song or songs associated with that artist. You have a choice of going back to the home screen or going (again) to the iTunes store.

I realize this is just an example of the format, but did they have to make it so underwhelming? I can't see this particular implementation driving much interest. As it stands, it appears to be designed mainly as a sales pitch for the included musicians.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #48 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by sticknick View Post

Presonally, I care about iTunes LP as much as I care for the whole "I want the physical media (CD/vinyl etc) for the packaging" argument...

In other words, I don't care.

I don't buy music for fancy cover art, or printed lyrics, or Photoshopped photos of the band, or some liner notes of who cleaned what toilet in the studio.

I hated fancy gatefold record covers back in the day (any album by Yes). I hated stupid fold out tape covers that were so contrived it was like an origami project putting them back together (U2 - Achtung Baby). I hate stupid CD packaging (Tool - 10,000 Days) ... mostly because when you buy something like this you realize that the packaging may be cool, but the music is half assed (ALL of the above mentioned albums).

I buy music for the music. I'll take 12 excellent songs and a pixelated jpg of the cover for $9.99 over $14 for 2 good songs, 5 ok songs, 5 crappy songs (or in the case of this promo, twenty shitty songs), and an MS Technet sized website worth of useless info any day.

You are in the minority there, people loved their vinyls, and their cds as physical items. I miss them greatly, for me itunes has never (and will never) replace the physical item, and I love music, I have 1000s of cd and vinyl titles.

I think this is a great idea by apple, and a lot overdue, to bring back the artistry of the cover to the computer, and in a few months time with the great tablet, we ll have a great host for these new covers...now if they could only offer it for albums we have already bought...

Of course the next step which for me is an absolute must is the option for alac for every album, sure this is going to take some staggering amount of disk space, but apple aren't building those server farms in N. Carolina for nothing now are they?

That said seeing as 99.9999999% of the albums nowadays are crap, I woudn't miss covers for new edition. While I am at it I pity this generation seeing as all good music is so far behind them... then I again I too bought more than anything older music when I was young, but you would get the occasional great new album out too.

Btw, everyone, go buy the new Bob Dylan Christmas Album, all proceeds will go to get food on the the table for millions of less fortunate people.
post #49 of 57
Wow, it sure must be Christmas, free music. Can't wait to download and review on my iCrazee Mac Blog.
iHing @ iCrazee - A Personal Guide To Owning An Apple Mac and All Things 'i'
Reply
iHing @ iCrazee - A Personal Guide To Owning An Apple Mac and All Things 'i'
Reply
post #50 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Something free from Apple?
Did hell freeze over again was it the Red Sea that parted?

Have you not noticed that the iTunes Store has had weekly new free content for years now? Free music. Free albums. Free TV shows. Free Movies. Every week. Apple even offers free apps (their own) for the iPhone and iPod Touch. I'm not mentioning podcasts since Apple themselves don't offer much in that arena, but there are hundreds of free shows (audio and video) to check out.

To claim that Apple doesn't offer free content on iTunes, you're either not using iTunes at all or haven't been paying attention for the past five years.
post #51 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by yensid98 View Post

Have you not noticed that the iTunes Store has had weekly new free content for years now? Free music. Free albums. Free TV shows. Free Movies. Every week. Apple even offers free apps (their own) for the iPhone and iPod Touch. I'm not mentioning podcasts since Apple themselves don't offer much in that arena, but there are hundreds of free shows (audio and video) to check out.

To claim that Apple doesn't offer free content on iTunes, you're either not using iTunes at all or haven't been paying attention for the past five years.

Apple does indeed offer free content and in that there can be no denying but is it Apple taken the hit or the label//studio? This is different.
post #52 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

Btw, the Stephen Colbert song is great...

Worth the price alone, and I'm not a big Colbert fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

You are in the minority there, people loved their vinyls, and their cds as physical items. I miss them greatly, for me itunes has never (and will never) replace the physical item, and I love music, I have 1000s of cd and vinyl titles.

I vote with you. More than anything, I miss liner notes. In truth they started going away with CDs, reducing them at best to a lyric sheet with print too small to read -- but digital music essentially killed them dead. Bring back liner notes!
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #53 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Apple does indeed offer free content and in that there can be no denying but is it Apple taken the hit or the label//studio? This is different.

It's actually NOT different. The conversation was started in reference to the Holiday sampler and how this is out of the ordinary "for Apple" to provide anything for "free". The common understanding is that most "samplers" are comprised of music provided gratis by recording studios to promote an album. For instance, the Stephen Colbert track is from an album which does not make ANY of its tracks available individually. Some arbitrary pretense that consumers can draw the line between when either Apple or the content holders is paying for the promotion seems somewhat ignorant. I'm sure the line can often be blurred, even from the perspective of the participants. Ultimately, the consumer simply gets something "FREE", and trying to chop it up into "who's responsible" is an absolute waste of time, unless you're a troll on a message board attempting to backup negative comments with useless speculation. For everyone else, its pointless. Free is free.

~ CB
post #54 of 57
Kids, don't make me turn this thread around. I've handed out one ad hom warning so far and so help me science I'll go through the thread with a weedwhacker if this continues.

You're grown-ups (I hope) so please act like it. Stick to the topic at hand and stay off of each other.


Edit: And with that someone gets to take a break.

So here's how it's going to break down: If/when teckstud comes back I do not want to see anything directed towards his/her character. I am issuing a warning to those who did so in this thread because it is a violation of the rules. Take it and deal with it.

Be civil, be respectful, and behave. This is a forum about technology - inflamed passions means you need more fresh air.

With the utmost of respect, your friendly neighborhood moderator.
Modding for Great Justice
Reply
Modding for Great Justice
Reply
post #55 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

Btw, the Stephen Colbert song is great...
Plus they have the lyrics right there..,

I just got the full Colbert album.

Absolute Favorites:
-- Have I Got a Present For You (loved it)
-- Nutmeg (rofl)
-- A Cold, Cold Christmas (best!)

Honorable Mention:
-- Please Be Patient (its such subtle satire, my head hurts)

~ CB
post #56 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

I vote with you. More than anything, I miss liner notes. In truth they started going away with CDs, reducing them at best to a lyric sheet with print too small to read -- but digital music essentially killed them dead. Bring back liner notes!

I miss liner notes too a lot, there's artistry and insight in there that complements the music, I sure hope the lp format takes off, and, more importantly that it get integrated into older music lps.

With a lovely tablet form factor complementing the lp I think it will be a joy to just kick back on the sofa and browse your lps like you used to whilst listening to the music.
post #57 of 57

This is a super-old thread, but is there anyone here reading it who downloaded this Holiday Sampler?

 

I still have all of the music, but I had mistakenly deleted the iTunes Extras (.ite) file.  Could someone possible share just the .ite file with me via Dropbox or E-Mail?  It would be greatly appreciated.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple offers free taste of iTunes LP format with 'Holiday Sampler'