or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple responds to, apologizes for iMac shipment delays
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple responds to, apologizes for iMac shipment delays

post #1 of 41
Thread Starter 
Apple has acknowledged that it is working to fulfill orders for its new 27-inch iMac, though the hardware maker has not officially addressed reports of screen flickering for some users.

While Apple did not respond to claims of hardware issues causing the delays, numerous threads (1, 2, 3) on the Apple support forums have reported screen-related issues on the new 27-inch iMac. A number of users in particular have claimed to experience screen flickering on the hardware.

When reached for comment, Apple offered an apology in a statement Sunday to Jim Dalrymple of CNet:

"The new iMac has been a huge hit and we are working hard to fulfill orders as quickly as possible. We apologize for any inconvenience or delay in delivery this may cause our customers."

When it first launched in October, the new iMac was the best-selling desktop machine for the month. The 21.5-inch iMac came in first place, while the 27-inch iMac took third in overall sales. Overall Mac sales in October were up 7 percent, suggesting the company could sell as many as 2.9 million systems for the quarter.

But issues related to the new hardware cropped up in November, as some systems showed up with cracked screens or just did not work. Flash video playback issues were also reported soon after the systems debuted.

This weekend, authorized resellers noted that their 27-inch iMac shipments had been delayed, as reports of screen flickering have grown. The resellers have been notified of delays of around two weeks.

post #2 of 41
The delays are due to the fact Apple and all PC Manufacturers can not get enough HDDs, Especially 500GB & 1TB which the New imac use. There is an industry wide shortage of HDDs.
post #3 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

The delays are due to the fact Apple and all PC Manufacturers can not get enough HDDs, Especially 500GB & 1TB which the New imac use. There is an industry wide shortage of HDDs.

The 27" iMac's don't offer a 500 GB. Just 1 TB and 2 TB.
Hard-Core.
Reply
Hard-Core.
Reply
post #4 of 41
Ah, my friend's PS3 does the same thing. Hopefully Apple gets a fix quickly.
post #5 of 41
Who is putting these iMacs together? "I'm a PC?!"



Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply
post #6 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

The 27" iMac's don't offer a 500 GB. Just 1 TB and 2 TB.


a lot of times they stop building the lower capacity drives and relabel the higher capacity drives and just load it with firmware to only use half the capacity. Microsoft did something like this with the original x-box
post #7 of 41
The screen issues looks terrible. My 21,5 inch is working great though.
post #8 of 41
Apple hasn't had a lot of luck with displays and gfx recently. The original MacBooks had terrible screen flickering issues, there has been a couple of nVidia chipset issues and the previous iMac also had display issues.

Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others.
15" Matte MacBook Pro: 2.66Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, GT330m 512MB, 512GB SSD

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

iPad 3rd Generation, 32GB

Mac Mini Core2Duo 2.26ghz,...

Reply

Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others.
15" Matte MacBook Pro: 2.66Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, GT330m 512MB, 512GB SSD

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

iPad 3rd Generation, 32GB

Mac Mini Core2Duo 2.26ghz,...

Reply
post #9 of 41
Maaan, now I'm worried again! ( I ordered one last week. )
post #10 of 41
Do drunk monkeys do quality control at Apple? Seriously.
post #11 of 41
amazing that they dont apologize for cracked screens, and wonky monitors...way to keep the faith strong Apple!
post #12 of 41
Also just to add, My iMac 27'' i7 that I ordered on the 3rd just got shipped this morning ( got the shipping e-mail early this morning ). The shipping estimate before this morning wasn't until early January.
post #13 of 41
I'm not concerned about the shipping delay however do I order the i7 and hope everything is okay or do I go to my local apple store and purchase an i5 and test it right there in the store?
post #14 of 41
My i7 1TB took a very rough and long, long journey to get to my house in northern Canada. I was worried about the broken screen issues as well... but, 3 weeks and it's been flawless. No issues. The packaging is quite sturdy, so if it gets broken, it has been treated very badly.

Hopefully those of you closer to an Apple store can get yours fixed... my only options are a 1 month return shipment away!
post #15 of 41
If everyone believed that these issues were indeed as widespread as made out on the forums no one would buy anything.

As an example:

White iPhones turn red/pink and overheat
iPhone 3GS overheat

As always its a case of the unsilent minority.
post #16 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

a lot of times they stop building the lower capacity drives and relabel the higher capacity drives and just load it with firmware to only use half the capacity. Microsoft did something like this with the original x-box

Not the case with 500GB and 1TB, 500GB to 320 or 250GB maybe since they are all single platter products, but 1 TB is 2 platters today and they will not waste a platter to make it 500GB.

MS did that since they did not want people to have and 80 or 120GB 2.5 HDD so they had them set to a lower capacity and paid less to hit a price point. In reality all HDD supplier quality sort drives so if it does not yield 120GB they make it 80GB or maybe smaller. What MS was actually getting was the lowest quality HDD since standard sizes at the time was 120GB and 160GB.
post #17 of 41
AI has taken a hugh leap in speculation with this article. There is absolutely no proof that the delay has anything to do with hardware failures. Apple didn't say so, and no one has been told their delay was from faulty parts.

However, AI has tried their damnedest to make it seem like the shipment delay is due to the reported problems. AI did say, with very few words, that Apple hasn't acknowledged why, but twisted the meat of the story to fit their guess.

Give me a break. Just say your guessing. One thing my not have anything to do with the other!
post #18 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody970 View Post

I'm not concerned about the shipping delay however do I order the i7 and hope everything is okay or do I go to my local apple store and purchase an i5 and test it right there in the store?

or you order the i7, if there is a problem you take it into the local store for a repair appointment so they can capture the details into their system to send to the folks up in Cupe and if it can't be repaired you return it and get an i5 and open it in the store. Although online says you can't return a custom order at the stores I'm betting if you were polite about the issue they would at least be able to give you a box (assuming the store stock gets the same brown cardboard as the direct orders) and let you print the label there in the store. Retail places like that typically have daily sweeps by UPS, Fed Ex etc to pick up various things and your computer (again if asked in a nice and non abusive way) could be one of them.

something else to remember is the true numbers. many folks that post on sites like this, post on several. so what could appear to be 100 broken machines could in fact be as much as half that due to duplicate posts. Also, how many machines that were just fine have shipped but since there's nothing to gripe about no one has said anything. we have no way of knowing. just like we don't know the condition the machines were in when they left China, how they were handled in route, what damage could have been do to improperly handling, if the graphics card company provided bad firmware etc. Apple doesn't make all the parts, handle the transport etc. yes they do their best to work with reputable folks but they aren't there every second of the day and sometimes people cut corners and get sloppy. But Apple gets the blame and deals with it the best they can to make right what perhaps they didn't make wrong
post #19 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljocampo View Post

AI has taken a hugh leap in speculation with this article. There is absolutely no proof that the delay has anything to do with hardware failures. Apple didn't say so, and no one has been told their delay was from faulty parts.

However, AI has tried their damnedest to make it seem like the shipment delay is due to the reported problems. AI did say, with very few words, that Apple hasn't acknowledged why, but twisted the meat of the story to fit their guess.

Give me a break. Just say your guessing. One thing my not have anything to do with the other!

"Huge leap in speculation"? For those who are capable of adding 2 and 2, this is hardly an Agatha Christie murder mystery.

"Apple didn't say so, and no one has been told their delay was from faulty parts." Good lord, how naïve are you? Widespread, major issues have only been reported with 27" iMacs - and incidentally, only those are the ones who happen to be delayed for several months. Or perhaps you didn't find this suspicious at all? I don't know about you, but it's hardly a completely unreasonable assumption to think that Apple is aware of this huge problem and are trying to correct it - using supply shortage as an excuse so they won't have to publicly acknowledge a problem before they've fixed it, and potentially scaring customers away before the holiday season in the process.

Anyone can cite a press release filled with corporate BS, but journalism is about connecting the dots and presenting reasonable assumptions, like AI has done here.
post #20 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by pondosinatra View Post

Do drunk monkeys do quality control at Apple? Seriously.

Maybe you should direct your comment at the graphics card vendor instead. Apple doesn't make graphics cards, or the displays.
post #21 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifail View Post

amazing that they dont apologize for cracked screens, and wonky monitors...way to keep the faith strong Apple!

Apple didn't break the screens, the shipper broke them. What's the big deal? They are covered under warranty and will be fixed. People get their panties in a wad over the stupidest things. Instead of blogging and making videos, take the iMac to Apple for service. Bunch of retarded people.
post #22 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljocampo View Post

AI has taken a hugh leap in speculation with this article. There is absolutely no proof that the delay has anything to do with hardware failures. Apple didn't say so, and no one has been told their delay was from faulty parts.

However, AI has tried their damnedest to make it seem like the shipment delay is due to the reported problems. AI did say, with very few words, that Apple hasn't acknowledged why, but twisted the meat of the story to fit their guess.

Give me a break. Just say your guessing. One thing my not have anything to do with the other!

I don't think the people at AI graduated high school. But you are dead-on, AI loves to fabricate their own stories.

Perfect case in point, headline: Apple responds to, apologizes for iMac shipment delays. Same day following story headline: "Fall Mac shipments up 21%." Hey AI, get your facts before posting your stories.
post #23 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Apple didn't break the screens, the shipper broke them. What's the big deal? They are covered under warranty and will be fixed. People get their panties in a wad over the stupidest things. Instead of blogging and making videos, take the iMac to Apple for service. Bunch of retarded people.

Actually, the glass is not covered under warranty. If the glass is broken when you receive the product, then the product is DOA and must be returned to the vendor for replacement. If the glass is broken after you receive the product, then it is considered customer abuse and is not covered under warranty. As an Apple Certified Macintosh Technician, and having done Apple warranty repairs for the last eight years, I am well versed in their warranty policies. (Apple is very good at making exceptions. You might be able to talk them into a customer satisfaction exception in the case of broken glass, but this would be an exception and not the rule.)
post #24 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Aces View Post

"Huge leap in speculation"? For those who are capable of adding 2 and 2, this is hardly an Agatha Christie murder mystery.

"Apple didn't say so, and no one has been told their delay was from faulty parts." Good lord, how naïve are you? Widespread, major issues have only been reported with 27" iMacs - and incidentally, only those are the ones who happen to be delayed for several months. Or perhaps you didn't find this suspicious at all? I don't know about you, but it's hardly a completely unreasonable assumption to think that Apple is aware of this huge problem and are trying to correct it - using supply shortage as an excuse so they won't have to publicly acknowledge a problem before they've fixed it, and potentially scaring customers away before the holiday season in the process.

Anyone can cite a press release filled with corporate BS, but journalism is about connecting the dots and presenting reasonable assumptions, like AI has done here.

That's not the point. I could have easily connected the dots too. I'm not being naive, today. I've followed most of the tech news on this subject. AI wants their analysis to be right. So, they state it as fact throughout the post to show linkage, even though they really don't know if it's true. At the end of the day they might be right. All I was saying is, AI as a leading journal tech site, should present the facts objectively and then insert their opinion on the matter.

You say this problem with iMacs is widespread. How do you know that? Is it the (wild guess) 500, 1000, or maybe even 2000 post on tech sites reporting the problem? Is that a representative sample of the millions, or so, sold statistically speaking? When some one looks at this problem with objective perspective, they might just see that this iMac is selling like hot cakes and Apple just can't keep up. That's just as logical a conclusion from an average consumer perspective.

I don't know what is going on with the delay. As a nobody, I'll never have all the facts. I need to depend on reliable and objective technical journal reporting, to make a choice. If it's opinion, say it as such. Sound-bites is great for sensationalism, but it doesn't help Apple's stock price, or my buying decisions.
post #25 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Maybe you should direct your comment at the graphics card vendor instead. Apple doesn't make graphics cards, or the displays.

And yet these problems don't exist in the PC world....so no, it's not ATI's or Nvidia's fault.
post #26 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Maybe you should direct your comment at the graphics card vendor instead. Apple doesn't make graphics cards, or the displays.

Furthermore, most of these quality issues started happening (years ago) when they stopped manufacturing in the States or Ireland and started sourcing from China!
post #27 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by pondosinatra View Post

And yet these problems don't exist in the PC world....so no, it's not ATI's or Nvidia's fault.

Really? GPU defects don't exist in the PC world? Besides being a patently ridiculous claim on its face, history also proves the claim false. Lookup NVIDIA's defective mobile GPU for a nice bit of background.

Fact is, defects occur in any manufactured product and obviously sometimes in third party supplied components. The claim that the 27 inch iMacs have some measurable difference in defect rates is pure conjecture and even articles discussing the situation admit that there is no real proof other than anecdotal information from people. We just don't know one way or the other.
post #28 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Aces View Post

Good lord, how naïve are you? Widespread, major issues have only been reported with 27" iMacs - and incidentally, only those are the ones who happen to be delayed for several months.

As you seem to like to take anecdotal evidence on its face, I'll offer you that I ordered my 27 inch i7 on December 8th and the shipper picked it up on December 15th. That's hardly the delay you claim. I'm not claiming one way or the other if they've had supply or manufacturing problems, I'm just pointing out that all the evidence doesn't support it.
post #29 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by focher View Post

Really? GPU defects don't exist in the PC world? Besides being a patently ridiculous claim on its face, history also proves the claim false. Lookup NVIDIA's defective mobile GPU for a nice bit of background.

A minor case-in-point with the 27 iMacs. People unable to use the video input from PCs with Nvidia 4800(?) series GPUs with DisplayPort out. Everyone was thinking it was an Apple issue but when it worked with other GPUs that arrived DP the problem couldnt be on Apples side.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #30 of 41
No one actually said they were sorry for even apolgized for "shipment delays". I reviewed the holiday timeline and ordered mine a week ago. I got informed Monday that it had been shipped from China and it arrived this morning at my door, free shipping. My screen is awesome and the i7 screams.

Your article could be compared to a tabloid. My next action on my new i7 quad core iMac is to remove your RSS tabloid news feed from Google reader. There is a difference between news and speculation.
post #31 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorkChop View Post

No one actually said they were sorry for even apolgized for "shipment delays". I reviewed the holiday timeline and ordered mine a week ago. I got informed Monday that it had been shipped from China and it arrived this morning at my door, free shipping. My screen is awesome and the i7 screams.

Your article could be compared to a tabloid. My next action on my new i7 quad core iMac is to remove your RSS tabloid news feed from Google reader. There is a difference between news and speculation.

I'm glad for you! Anyway even though it is true that Apple never publicly say that there were hardware issues, many dealers all over the world are saying that they were warned of delays up to January's end because of hardware issues with the Ati video card. Having ordered one of those beast from a dealer (more than 2 weeks ago), I can only say that I hope that my iMac will be without problems.
will be what it's going to be
Reply
will be what it's going to be
Reply
post #32 of 41
Obviously it is the people who have problems that talk the loudest, but I expect that the actual number of 27" iMacs with problems is very low. My i7 iMac is great and the screen is beautiful. UPS caused an unnecessary delay by forgetting to put it on their truck the day it was supposed to arrive, but otherwise no issues.
post #33 of 41
To get an iMac delivered by Christmas you had to order by the 12th of December. On the 13th of December Apple changed the shipping dates to '2 weeks' which reflects the earlier cut off date for Christmas.

As it stands you can walk into an Apple store and buy a 27" iMac, what you cannot do is get them from resellers as Apple are not supplying them and are holding stock for their own online sales and stores.
post #34 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by focher View Post

As you seem to like to take anecdotal evidence on its face, I'll offer you that I ordered my 27 inch i7 on December 8th and the shipper picked it up on December 15th. That's hardly the delay you claim. I'm not claiming one way or the other if they've had supply or manufacturing problems, I'm just pointing out that all the evidence doesn't support it.

You obviously ordered your i7 iMac directly from Apple.

The dirty little secret Apple does not admit to is how they treat reseller orders.

I ordered a "BTO" i7 iMac from a West Coast reseller on 11/27 (Black Friday) at 7:30 AM. The reseller was originally supposed to receive it from Apple on 12/4 then 12/14, then 12/28. They beat the last date by a couple of days, as 12/28 was the date I finally received it, though UPS was supposed to deliver it on 12/24 (but our driver told UPS that our business was closed on that date, which was not true - he probably just wanted a lighter load on that day).

I have numerous reports of i7s being ordered from Apple directly during the second week of December being received within 9-12 days. My order took a month basically.

For Apple to apologize for a "two-week" delay but not to publicly acknowledge that orders received via their authorized reseller channel are given the lowest priority and intentionally delayed is dishonest in the extreme.
post #35 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

To get an iMac delivered by Christmas you had to order by the 12th of December. On the 13th of December Apple changed the shipping dates to '2 weeks' which reflects the earlier cut off date for Christmas.

As it stands you can walk into an Apple store and buy a 27" iMac, what you cannot do is get them from resellers as Apple are not supplying them and are holding stock for their own online sales and stores.

If Apple wants to shut the door on their authorized resellers due to high demand and low supply of i7 iMacs, that's their business.

But to point me to their authorized resellers on their own website without letting me, THE CUSTOMER, know that it will take me three times longer to acquire an Apple product from their recommended reseller is absolutely inexcusable. And it ought to be illegal, to tell the truth.
post #36 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheater View Post

If Apple wants to shut the door on their authorized resellers due to high demand and low supply of i7 iMacs, that's their business.

But to point me to their authorized resellers on their own website without letting me, THE CUSTOMER, know that it will take me three times longer to acquire an Apple product from their recommended reseller is absolutely inexcusable. And it ought to be illegal, to tell the truth.

I ordered an i7 from my reseller at the end of November, a couple of days ago they phoned me warning that Apple told them not to expect it until late January, because of hardware problems they were trying to fix. Anyway, I see that all the i7 ordered from the store are still being delivered with 'small' delays. So I really don't know what to say. I only hope that I'll get a perfect working machine.
will be what it's going to be
Reply
will be what it's going to be
Reply
post #37 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by palple View Post

I only hope that I'll get a perfect working machine.

Well, after the 31 day wait, my i7 has been flawless. No flickering problem, no screen cracks, etc.

I especially like the Magic Mouse, as scrolling with it feels very much like caressing my wife or the cat. LOL!!!
post #38 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheater View Post

Well, after the 31 day wait, my i7 has been flawless. No flickering problem, no screen cracks, etc.

I especially like the Magic Mouse, as scrolling with it feels very much like caressing my wife or the cat. LOL!!!

Don't take this the wrong way but...if caressing your wife is like caressing your cat, then either you have a Sphynx breed cat or your wife needs to shave.
post #39 of 41
I ordered an i7 on December 23. I had hoped by this time it might enter shipping stage.

Anyone seen a pattern of how long the orders actually take to ship?
*Powerbook G4 12" - 1.5 GHZ
*iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHZ (Mid 2007), *Apple 20-inch Cinema Display (Aluminium)
*iPhone 4S, Airport Extreme (2011) *MacBook Air 11-inch (Late 2010)
Reply
*Powerbook G4 12" - 1.5 GHZ
*iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHZ (Mid 2007), *Apple 20-inch Cinema Display (Aluminium)
*iPhone 4S, Airport Extreme (2011) *MacBook Air 11-inch (Late 2010)
Reply
post #40 of 41
Incredible, I ordered and paid my i7-4GB-512MB iMac mid November at a premium reseller in Delft (The Netherlands) with the promise that it would be delivered before the end of that month. Since December I cannot get any commitment on a delivery date from them. They simply state not to be able to estimate it. Especially annoying because a similar order through the Apple Store has a shipping date within 2 weeks. I am trying to find out how many orders are to be handled before mine, but no words yet.

Are there any other Dutch readers having similar experiences, either with resellers in The Netherlands, or the specific one in Delft?

I am trying to become a Mac user as well, but Apple is not very cooperative unfortunately.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple responds to, apologizes for iMac shipment delays