or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple seen in 'pole position' to control mobile Internet computing
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple seen in 'pole position' to control mobile Internet computing

post #1 of 66
Thread Starter 
The platform of the iPhone, iPod touch and iTunes has seen the fastest rate of adoption of any new technology in history, a new study has concluded.

In its first nine quarters on the market, the iPhone and iPod touch significantly outpaced Netscape, AOL and NTT's DoCoMo. Mary Meeker and a team of analysts at Morgan Stanley believe this shows Apple has a lead of two or three years over its competitors in the mobile Internet space.

The figures and predictions were the highlight of a presentation this week from Morgan Stanley called "The Mobile Internet." Philip Elmer-DeWitt of Fortune Brainstorm Tech summarized the seminar, which focused on the rapid rate of adoption seen by the iPhone and iPod touch platform.

After 9 quarters, the iPhone and iPod touch have reached an install base of 57 million users. By that same point, DoCoMo had achieved 25 million users, Netscape 11 million, and AOL just 7 million. Apple's platform has also outpaced the debuts of game consoles like the Nintendo Wii, Nintendo DS and Sony PSP.

The presentation included a number of incredible statistics: Though the iPhone and iPod touch represents just 17 percent of global smartphones, the two devices are responsible for 65 percent of handheld Web browsing, according to Net Applications, and half of all mobile app usage, according to AdMob. Compare that to Nokia's Symbian platform, which has 45 percent of all mobile devices, but just 7 percent of the Web share.



The Morgan Stanley presentation goes on to define the future of the mobile Internet as the overlap between social networking and mobile devices. More specifically it is the "sweet spot," as Elmer-DeWitt called it, where the 430 million Facebook users (and their 350,000 applications) overlap with the 57 million iPhone users (and their 100,000 applications).

It demonstrates a trend shown with Mixi, Japan's leading social network, which has seen its monthly page views become dominated by mobile devices. As of the third quarter of 2009, 72 percent of Mixi visitors accessed the site via a handheld device.

The 2000s are predicted to mean for the start of mobile computing what the 1990s were for the Internet age. With so many devices in people's pockets and 200 million iTunes subscribers ready to buy applications and media content, Apple is in the "pole position" to lead the mobile computing race, the report concluded.



While the iPhone gets most attention, the iPod touch has become a significant portion of the mobile Internet market, and an integral part of Apple's iPhone OS strategy. Earlier this month, one report found that the iPod touch has been gaining in share of mobile device usage, at the expense of the iPhone. It is estimated that about 40 percent of iPhone OS users are on the iPod touch.

As iPod touch users are also likely to have an iTunes account to buy applications and media, the youth who use the mobile device are seen as likely to eventually migrate to Apple's "premium" iPhone as they get older. This further ties them into the Apple ecosystem, and would fuel the company's growth in the mobile Internet space.
post #2 of 66
So what else is new?
post #3 of 66
Can Apple control the mobile web space $$$ within its devices? In other words, will Apple be to get the advertising dollars from its apps and mobile web... or will Google be able to freeload and suck the ad dollars? What about e-commerce dollars?
post #4 of 66
Apple is positioned nicely. "One Year Later. Light years ahead"

Me
Apple!

Think Different
Reply
Apple!

Think Different
Reply
post #5 of 66
It makes sense for Apple to develop some kind of search engine for the iPhone and the Touch as well as its own mobile apps. The big problem is that Google got a lot of content now, like books, etc plus maps.

Apple will have to end up making MobileMe free and support with advertising and add other features like Google.
post #6 of 66
"As iPod touch users are also likely to have an iTunes account to buy applications and media, the youth who use the mobile device are seen as likely to eventually migrate to Apple's "premium" iPhone as they get older. This further ties them into the Apple ecosystem, and would fuel the company's growth in the mobile Internet space."

Debatable. As an "older" person, I have a Touch and a cell phone. I have no interest in being tied to a monthly plan, locked phones and ATT. The Touch is the answer to the mess in US cellular (standards, coverage, subsidized plans at egregious rates and crap providers).

There's no shortage of money within our circle of friends or family. Yet, the only iPhone users are two of my sons. Eight of us use a Touch (of which 7 are "older" persons).

So much for Wall Street analysts and the ad industry.
post #7 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileMe View Post

Apple is positioned nicely. "One Year Later. Light years ahead"

Me

It is pretty amazing how far Apple has come, isn't it? A little over two years and Apple is defining the whole game and pushing everyone else ahead in the process.
post #8 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eye Forget View Post

Debatable. As an "older" person, I have a Touch and a cell phone. I have no interest in being tied to a monthly plan, locked phones and ATT. The Touch is the answer to the mess in US cellular (standards, coverage, subsidized plans at egregious rates and crap providers).

Not debatable.

And like you I'm an "older" iPod touch user.

However, this isn't about your particular situation. Statistics represent an aggregate view of the marketplace, not a given person's particular situation (like yours or mine).

Other studies have shown that the average iPod touch is younger (16-24) than the average iPhone user (25-40). Just search the Web, the studies are available to view.

I agree that the iPod touch does provide a lot of functionality without getting into the morass of egregious U.S. cellular rates. However, you are still burdened by standards, coverage, and crap providers, just like I am with my Pay-As-You-Go prepaid dumbphone on the T-Mobile network.
post #9 of 66
This is why Microsoft is quaking in its boots. All along they thought search was the ebola-like threat looming on the horizon. More and more it looks like it's mobile computing.

MS can totally fail in search and they will still sell millions upon millions of Windows licenses. Mobile computing however is the real threat because as mobile devices get more and more powerful, people will start to turn away from laptops and desktops and just rely on their Gen 6 iPhones.

Don't people still want a computer to do large-screen stuff on? Sure. They'll go home, wirelessly connect their iPhone to the screen, keyboard, mouse, and printer in their home office and work away. No Windows in this equation.
post #10 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eye Forget View Post

"As iPod touch users are also likely to have an iTunes account to buy applications and media, the youth who use the mobile device are seen as likely to eventually migrate to Apple's "premium" iPhone as they get older. This further ties them into the Apple ecosystem, and would fuel the company's growth in the mobile Internet space."

Debatable. As an "older" person, I have a Touch and a cell phone. I have no interest in being tied to a monthly plan, locked phones and ATT. The Touch is the answer to the mess in US cellular (standards, coverage, subsidized plans at egregious rates and crap providers).

There's no shortage of money within our circle of friends or family. Yet, the only iPhone users are two of my sons. Eight of us use a Touch (of which 7 are "older" persons).

So much for Wall Street analysts and the ad industry.

Today, the 8 of you are fine with accessing the Internet only when in range of a hotspot, and that's great.

But the trend is toward apps/services that create a desire for access at any time, at any place. As that happens, the question is whether the cellular (including 4G) or wifi (outside of your home/work) or both will become the access medium for which you pay. And when you throw in that "at any place" could include on-the-move, which wifi can not yet handle ....

There are hybrid solutions and other methods, such as the MiFi devices (which are really cellular), but they still involve plans at egregious rates.
"you will know the truth, and the truth will
set you free."
Reply
"you will know the truth, and the truth will
set you free."
Reply
post #11 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eye Forget View Post

"As iPod touch users are also likely to have an iTunes account to buy applications and media, the youth who use the mobile device are seen as likely to eventually migrate to Apple's "premium" iPhone as they get older. This further ties them into the Apple ecosystem, and would fuel the company's growth in the mobile Internet space."

Debatable. As an "older" person, I have a Touch and a cell phone. I have no interest in being tied to a monthly plan, locked phones and ATT. The Touch is the answer to the mess in US cellular (standards, coverage, subsidized plans at egregious rates and crap providers).

There's no shortage of money within our circle of friends or family. Yet, the only iPhone users are two of my sons. Eight of us use a Touch (of which 7 are "older" persons).

So much for Wall Street analysts and the ad industry.

What you say may be true for many people, but I believe that, for those who are willing to pay for the expensive cell phone plan associated with a smartphone, an iPhone will seem like the natural choice instead of a Blackberry, Symbian or Android phone. A smartphone is particularly useful as a way to use work email when away from the office. So I expect to see Blackberry as the long-term loser to the iPhone in the workplace.
post #12 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

Don't people still want a computer to do large-screen stuff on? Sure. They'll go home, wirelessly connect their iPhone to the screen, keyboard, mouse, and printer in their home office and work away. No Windows in this equation.

Especially when their most used apps reside in the cloud...
"you will know the truth, and the truth will
set you free."
Reply
"you will know the truth, and the truth will
set you free."
Reply
post #13 of 66
I could be wrong, but I thought that RIM and Blackberry used a proxy server for their web access that compressed all data going to the handheld?
post #14 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

It is pretty amazing how far Apple has come, isn't it? A little over two years and Apple is defining the whole game and pushing everyone else ahead in the process.

Your right Quadra, and I hope the industry watches and takes note (not just photocopy ) that if you truly innovate or revolutionize, then your success will be ahead of what others have been trying to do for decades.

Apple understands it's target audience and the success of all it's current offerings are proof of that.

BMW had a sweet advertisement a few years back. "When you set the bar, you sometimes have to raise it"


APPLE IS THE INDUSTRY STANDARD
Apple!

Think Different
Reply
Apple!

Think Different
Reply
post #15 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

What have others been trying to do for years, attract social losers that have nothing better to do but stream music and check their facebook 3 million times a day? Thats about all this shows. There isn't anything in this article about innovation its about the surfing habits of the average iPhone/Touch user which we all know is obsessive.

Maybe this article should read Apple in pole position of having the most losers checking their facebook at the same time while streaming Pandora and not getting any real work done.

Your Ban has been lifted and you still just don't get it. Welcome back.
Apple!

Think Different
Reply
Apple!

Think Different
Reply
post #16 of 66
It's all about the usablilty. People use these devices more because they're a pleasure to use. It doesn't matter how many "features" the device has, if it's frustrating to use them. I have been a BlackBerry user for 4+ years and an iPhone user for about 1.5 years--my company supplies the BlackBerry, but I supply my own iPhone, and I usually leave the BB at home if I don't absolutely need it for something--it's just a pain to use. This is subjective to some degree, of course.

I also know a few people who got an iPod Touch and then pretty quickly decided they needed the phone. It's a gateway drug.
post #17 of 66
Just thought I'd add an update to what's going on here in Europe. The iPhone is a tremendous hit here in Germany (T-Mobile), and the halo effect around it is blinding. Within this year alone, I have only 2 people in my close circle of friends, that haven't bought an Apple device of one kind or another; MBP's, iPhones, iTouches, iMacs.

A close friend just came by this afternoon to show his new iPhone... didn't even tell me he was gettin' one. This is a non-tech, "I-have-to-use-Windows-because of business" guy! Now he's "stating", (opposed to asking whether he should), that he's getting the 15-MBP right after Xmas.

You also have to take into account that we don't have Apple Stores here (only 3: Hamburg, Berlin, Munich) and Apple doesn't do very much advertising. It really is marketing by word-of-mouth... or from within the traditional Apple strong-holds in print and design agencies.

All in all, Apple is seriously rollin'... at least in Germany.

PS: really is too bad about the AT&T relationship in America. After reading the whole debate surrounding AT&T, Verizon, etc., I can only conclude that America's entire telecom industry needs an overhaul and fast.
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
post #18 of 66
What is amazing to me is the graphs lump all other smart phones together and they still get trounced by Apple.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
post #19 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

You think something like a three day ban is going to stop me from giving my opinion... I was just giving you a bit of a hard time. However I do see this as more about the habits of a certain demographic rather then it having anything to do with Apple itself.

The iPhone/Touch is without a doubt the best mobile browsing device around I would say the Droid comes in second but certainly doesn't have the following the iPhone has at this point. May never have that following its too soon to tell how well its going to do.

I think its a bit of a stretch that people will start docking their iPhone at home and using it as a home computer

I didn't take offense xTremeS. Your style of opinion is needed in forums, to give it spark at times, even Teckstuds style is childish at times, but he does make good points. Though like a child, he needs to be grounded when acting out of place

I will agree that droid does come second, with a mobile browsing experience. Google just lacks the Lust factor (for lack of a better word) that Apple creates. Plus Apple always finds a way to give us features we didn't know we needed (i.e. compass app, trimming a video clip & and on the back end providing excellent API's for developers, I just read that Apple is working on the "PastryKit Framework" that will work to enhance iPhones Web App interactivity. Very exciting indeed. I can't wait for WWDC2010. If this new Framework gets released to the public then
Quote:
I think its a bit of a stretch that people will start docking their iPhone at home and using it as a home computer

may actually not be a bit of a stretch after all . Stayed Tuned "The Best is yet to come"
Apple!

Think Different
Reply
Apple!

Think Different
Reply
post #20 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

It is pretty amazing how far Apple has come, isn't it? A little over two years and Apple is defining the whole game and pushing everyone else ahead in the process.

Would we have expected anything less from Apple's visionary talent?

And what of the naysayers that laughed off the iPhone?

Palm's CEO Ed Cooligan - gone...

MS's CEO Steve Ballmer - gone from laughing to crying!

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply
post #21 of 66
Apple is about 3-5 years ahead of everyone else, IMO. No one else has been able to build an end-to-end easy to use solution other than them, and even in the case of Google there's no real evidence anyone other than geeks are jonesing for their product yet.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #22 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

This is why Microsoft is quaking in its boots. All along they thought search was the ebola-like threat looming on the horizon. More and more it looks like it's mobile computing.

MS can totally fail in search and they will still sell millions upon millions of Windows licenses. Mobile computing however is the real threat because as mobile devices get more and more powerful, people will start to turn away from laptops and desktops and just rely on their Gen 6 iPhones.

Don't people still want a computer to do large-screen stuff on? Sure. They'll go home, wirelessly connect their iPhone to the screen, keyboard, mouse, and printer in their home office and work away. No Windows in this equation.

No Macbooks, Macbook Pros, iMacs, or MacPros in that equation either. I don't think Apple wants to see a world where mobile devices significantly cannibalize the desktop... at least not until they can first build out a hierarchy of differentiated iPhone products to take up the slack.

Thompson
post #23 of 66
"What have others been trying to do for years, attract social losers that have nothing better to do but stream music and check their facebook 3 million times a day? Thats about all this shows"

no, it shows more than you are saying.. as it is from where a major percentage of retail commerce hits come from.. Amazon, Best Buy, etc etc are getting customer sales that came from these social losers who have somehow are also social spenders.. This has been outlined several times in stats presented by followers of the $...
post #24 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by thompr View Post

No Macbooks, Macbook Pros, iMacs, or MacPros in that equation either. I don't think Apple wants to see a world where mobile devices significantly cannibalize the desktop... at least not until they can first build out a hierarchy of differentiated iPhone products to take up the slack. ...

I think they are doing just that though with the (purported) tablet due to be announced after Christmas.

What this says to me is that all that talk about market share of Mac versus Windows is about to become irrelevant. I read a report two weeks ago that said that the number of individuals accessing the Internet with a mobile device is going to *pass* the number of desktops accessing the Internet next year.

If Apple dominates the market share and sets the standard for this platform, they have essentially done an end run around Microsoft and dominated them once and for all.

Sure Microsoft will still sell Windows to a lot of older people and businesses, but Apple will be in the market leader, "top share" position in an entirely new platform that they invented, and which completely eclipses the desktop market.
post #25 of 66
This is not a good report because this is not good news.

All this is going to do is encourage Apple NOT to innovate. Or it might encourage them to innovate at a slower pace. Reports like these takes the pressure off of Apple to keep coming out with products that are leaps and bounds beyond the competition.

Lately, Apple has been only doing slight incremental updates to their products especially with the iphone/ipod touch. Reports like this is only going to encourage Apple to do the same.
This means you can only expect slight updates to the iphone's software and hardware so Apple can maintain their lead.
post #26 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Not debatable.

And like you I'm an "older" iPod touch user.

However, this isn't about your particular situation. Statistics represent an aggregate view of the marketplace, not a given person's particular situation (like yours or mine).

Other studies have shown that the average iPod touch is younger (16-24) than the average iPhone user (25-40). Just search the Web, the studies are available to view.

I agree that the iPod touch does provide a lot of functionality without getting into the morass of egregious U.S. cellular rates. However, you are still burdened by standards, coverage, and crap providers, just like I am with my Pay-As-You-Go prepaid dumbphone on the T-Mobile network.

You've posted almost the exact same response I was going to post.
I too am a happy iPod touch user (older as well). But it is a no brainer that when the millions and millions of iPod touch users (many of them younger users) reach the time in their life when they need to move to a smart phone (and that time in their life WILL come); which phone are they going to buy. It's obvious. I mean they are already 95% dug in to the whole experience.
post #27 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

This is not a good report because this is not good news.

All this is going to do is encourage Apple NOT to innovate. Or it might encourage them to innovate at a slower pace. Reports like these takes the pressure off of Apple to keep coming out with products that are leaps and bounds beyond the competition.

Lately, Apple has been only doing slight incremental updates to their products especially with the iphone/ipod touch. Reports like this is only going to encourage Apple to do the same.
This means you can only expect slight updates to the iphone's software and hardware so Apple can maintain their lead.

Apple does not, and never has innovated because of outside pressure. This is just ignorance about the company, it's history, and it's core values.
post #28 of 66
Quote:
Apple seen in 'pole position' to control mobile Internet computing

Quote:
Apple is in the "pole position" to lead the mobile computing race, the report concluded.

Gotta love Appleinsider changing "Apple is in the "pole position" to lead the mobile computing race, the report concluded" into "Apple seen in 'pole position' to control mobile Internet computing". Their headlines are looking more and more like fanboy forum postings everyday. Apple has as much chance of "controlling" mobile internet computing with the iPhone as Toyota has of "controlling" alternative fuel vehicles with the Prius. Dozens of companies would have to just "give up" and hand over their operations and intellectual property for Apple to "control" mobile computing (I'm sure every mobile provider who doesn't offer the iPhone will just close up shop). While I won't take issue with Apple being a leading maufacturer of mobile devices and a leader in the industry, the fact that Apple has only a 17% share (and that's just smartphones), means all those other companies have an opportunity to reverse the trend.
post #29 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Well its a stretch for today but that doesn't mean its a stretch a few years down the line. As we all know two years in technology can be a lifetime. If Apple comes out with a fairly powerful Tablet I could see people docking that in the near future. The iPhone now just simply lacks the power do to its size. It would be really had to use that for anything other then simple tasks and web browsing.

Google is really good a certain things but you are right they do lack excitement right now. I see Google as more of a long term threat to Microsoft. Windows 7 is a fairly good product for Microsoft but they are really having their dark days now.

Well put.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmann View Post

"What have others been trying to do for years, attract social losers that have nothing better to do but stream music and check their facebook 3 million times a day? Thats about all this shows"

no, it shows more than you are saying.. as it is from where a major percentage of retail commerce hits come from.. Amazon, Best Buy, etc etc are getting customer sales that came from these social losers who have somehow are also social spenders.. This has been outlined several times in stats presented by followers of the $...

Which location do you like better, SF or MIA? (Yes I know thats random)
Apple!

Think Different
Reply
Apple!

Think Different
Reply
post #30 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by thompr View Post

No Macbooks, Macbook Pros, iMacs, or MacPros in that equation either. I don't think Apple wants to see a world where mobile devices significantly cannibalize the desktop... at least not until they can first build out a hierarchy of differentiated iPhone products to take up the slack.

Thompson

Ah, you've fallen into the 'cannibalization' trap that tech 'analysts' routinely trot out whenever they feel the need to say something that sounds like they know stuff.

Cannibalizing your own product is not a bad thing. I always said when asked, or even when not asked, you better be ready to cannibalize your own product because if you don't do it to yourself, your competitor will do it to you. And furthermore, if you're doing it to yourself, you're probably doing it to your competitors as well.

So what is preferable to Apple?

A consumer computer industry where desktops and laptops remain significant despite the rise of compact mobile computing devices? Or . . .

A industry where compact mobile devices virtually supplant (i.e cannibalize) desktops and laptops?

I think Apple would prefer the latter because then they own the whole market (or close to it) while the former, in all likelihood, leaves significant room for Windows.

If consumer habits trend towards compact mobile computing devices and away from the two tops (desk and lap) then any effort to prevent cannibalizing your own product is futile. Bottom line it is not really Apple's choice whether a market for large devices exists or not.
post #31 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I think they are doing just that though with the (purported) tablet due to be announced after Christmas.

What this says to me is that all that talk about market share of Mac versus Windows is about to become irrelevant. I read a report two weeks ago that said that the number of individuals accessing the Internet with a mobile device is going to *pass* the number of desktops accessing the Internet next year.

If Apple dominates the market share and sets the standard for this platform, they have essentially done an end run around Microsoft and dominated them once and for all.

Sure Microsoft will still sell Windows to a lot of older people and businesses, but Apple will be in the market leader, "top share" position in an entirely new platform that they invented, and which completely eclipses the desktop market.

I completely agree that Apple has invented an entirely new platform that will eclipse (not replace) the desktop PC market. The cell phone industry is already larger than the PC industry, and it won't take long for the smart phone industry to completely fill up the cell phone industry. And I believe that Apple is in the driver seat of that market, completing an end-run around Microsoft for a growth opportunity. So we are in agreement.

Having said all of that, my original response was to someone that envisioned a situation where iPhones themselves replaced desktop machines by allowing for attachment of monitors and keyboards, etc, thus rendering Windows (and Mac OS) completely irrelevant. But I don't believe that the public iPhone API will be expanded in that way because I think that Apple is going to want to keep the desktop segment alive. That market is too large too squander, even if it is smaller than the mobile market.


Thompson
post #32 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

Ah, you've fallen into the 'cannibalization' trap that tech 'analysts' routinely trot out whenever they feel the need to say something that sounds like they know stuff.

Cannibalizing your own product is not a bad thing. I always said when asked, or even when not asked, you better be ready to cannibalize your own product because if you don't do it to yourself, your competitor will do it to you. And furthermore, if you're doing it to yourself, you're probably doing it to your competitors as well.

So what is preferable to Apple?

A consumer computer industry where desktops and laptops remain significant despite the rise of compact mobile computing devices? Or . . .

A industry where compact mobile devices virtually supplant (i.e cannibalize) desktops and laptops?

I think Apple would prefer the latter because then they own the whole market (or close to it) while the former, in all likelihood, leaves significant room for Windows.

If consumer habits trend towards compact mobile computing devices and away from the two tops (desk and lap) then any effort to prevent cannibalizing your own product is futile. Bottom line it is not really Apple's choice whether a market for large devices exists or not.

I couldn't agree more. The market will decide, and Apple would prefer to be the one doing the cannibalization. The distinction I'm making here is one of "passive" versus "active" cannibalization. That is, while I agree that Apple has moved (and will continue to move) to be at the nexus of the emerging mobile market so they can be the ones that benefit from whatever cannibalization may occur, I do not believe that Apple will actively encourage it by making it possible to run your desktop keyboard and monitor from your iPhone together with an API for building full-featured applications such as the ones we commonly run on said desktops. You won't be finding that capability in their publicly available iPhone API or in the iPhone OS anytime soon.

Doesn't anybody actually follow the logic of a conversation anymore prior to jumping on their soapbox?
post #33 of 66
Most of this post is pure hyperbolic speculation that is not supported by anything. Part of your post is misunderstanding the process of developing a new platform.

Most of the innovation of the iPhone happened when it was first developed. The innovation was in the foundation of the OS and its API's. After that Apple is building on that foundation. Adding features isn't as exciting as building a brand new OS. After establishing the foundation in some ways you are limited in the changes you can make because you don't want to disrupt what you've already done.

In light of the fact that Apple is acquiring companies, intellectual property, and engineering talent that will directly impact the iPhone, outside of your opinion what evidence do you have that Apple will stop or even slow down its development of the iPhone?



Quote:
Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

This is not a good report because this is not good news.

All this is going to do is encourage Apple NOT to innovate. Or it might encourage them to innovate at a slower pace. Reports like these takes the pressure off of Apple to keep coming out with products that are leaps and bounds beyond the competition.

Lately, Apple has been only doing slight incremental updates to their products especially with the iphone/ipod touch. Reports like this is only going to encourage Apple to do the same.
This means you can only expect slight updates to the iphone's software and hardware so Apple can maintain their lead.
post #34 of 66
I don' think this will happen because its simply not practical. The iPhone makes a great mobile supplementary device, but it does not at all replace a more capable computer.

Three years ago I used to have a desktop at home and carry around a notebook as my portable machine. Now I don't own a desktop, my notebook stays at home more than it used to, and I carry my iPhone as my portable machine. The iPhone keeps me connected until I can get home to my notebook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thompr View Post

Having said all of that, my original response was to someone that envisioned a situation where iPhones themselves replaced desktop machines by allowing for attachment of monitors and keyboards, etc, thus rendering Windows (and Mac OS) completely irrelevant. But I don't believe that the public iPhone API will be expanded in that way because I think that Apple is going to want to keep the desktop segment alive. That market is too large too squander, even if it is smaller than the mobile market.


Thompson
post #35 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

What have others been trying to do for years, attract social losers that have nothing better to do but stream music and check their facebook 3 million times a day? Thats about all this shows. There isn't anything in this article about innovation its about the surfing habits of the average iPhone/Touch user which we all know is obsessive.

Maybe this article should read Apple in pole position of having the most losers checking their facebook at the same time while streaming Pandora and not getting any real work done.

...or losers trolling fora

*
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #36 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

Apple does not, and never has innovated because of outside pressure. This is just ignorance about the company, it's history, and it's core values.

So true.

For the same token, I don't believe that it has ever been Apple's goal to sell the most computers or the most phones. Instead make something innovative and then have fun watching others playing catch-up, but don't get caught into the competition game. For this reason, I would be very disappointed if they would make a phone for Verizon, because that would mean giving in to outside pressures.
post #37 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

What have others been trying to do for years, attract social losers that have nothing better to do but stream music and check their facebook 3 million times a day? Thats about all this shows. There isn't anything in this article about innovation its about the surfing habits of the average iPhone/Touch user which we all know is obsessive.

Maybe this article should read Apple in pole position of having the most losers checking their facebook at the same time while streaming Pandora and not getting any real work done.

Yeah, and that is way worse than constantly replying to these posts. Really hope your getting paid for all of your time here.
post #38 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

This is not a good report because this is not good news.

All this is going to do is encourage Apple NOT to innovate. Or it might encourage them to innovate at a slower pace. Reports like these takes the pressure off of Apple to keep coming out with products that are leaps and bounds beyond the competition.

Lately, Apple has been only doing slight incremental updates to their products especially with the iphone/ipod touch. Reports like this is only going to encourage Apple to do the same.
This means you can only expect slight updates to the iphone's software and hardware so Apple can maintain their lead.

I disagree... Apple is driven by an inner voice to innovate... they can't help themselves, it's in their DNA.

Periodically, they will look at the competition, their own product offerings and make tactical adjustments. But, that won't change their long term goals.

While others are looking for ways to incrementally improve the "smart phone", Apple already has those solutions in various stages of implementation (and plans to obsolete it on the drawing board).

Where Apple will innovate is by changing entire industries-- redefining or replacing entire segments.

Think about it! With the iPhone, Apple has wrapped a personal computer, a web client, PMP, PDA... in a single package that anyone from age 4 to 90 can easily use. They can milk that for a few years.

Sooner, rather than later, "someone" will release devices that replace the computer ecology (including smart phones) as we know it today... not with incremental improvements to word processors, spreadsheets or phone features, but by making them unnecessary.

I believe that "someone" is Apple!



*
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #39 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

Ah, you've fallen into the 'cannibalization' trap that tech 'analysts' routinely trot out whenever they feel the need to say something that sounds like they know stuff.

Cannibalizing your own product is not a bad thing. I always said when asked, or even when not asked, you better be ready to cannibalize your own product because if you don't do it to yourself, your competitor will do it to you. And furthermore, if you're doing it to yourself, you're probably doing it to your competitors as well.

So what is preferable to Apple?

A consumer computer industry where desktops and laptops remain significant despite the rise of compact mobile computing devices? Or . . .

A industry where compact mobile devices virtually supplant (i.e cannibalize) desktops and laptops?

I think Apple would prefer the latter because then they own the whole market (or close to it) while the former, in all likelihood, leaves significant room for Windows.

If consumer habits trend towards compact mobile computing devices and away from the two tops (desk and lap) then any effort to prevent cannibalizing your own product is futile. Bottom line it is not really Apple's choice whether a market for large devices exists or not.

*

Bingo!

*
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #40 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

Apple does not, and never has innovated because of outside pressure. This is just ignorance about the company, it's history, and it's core values.

Exactly what I was going to say.

Evidence #1: iPhone. Analysts and pundits, especially those in Europe, were saying even in 2005 that music phones (but in all other respects they were dumb phones) were selling in far greater numbers than iPods, and that the days of standalone mp3 players were numbered. Yet Apple took its time to get it right - Jobs said it took 2.5 years, and others said that it was scrapped at least once, thus delaying its intro until Jan-Jul 2007.

Evidence #2: Rumored tablet. Microsoft launched Origami/UMPCs years ago but it did not cause Apple to rush one to market; and despite all the talk about CrunchPad/JooJoo and others, Apple still hasn't come to market. Instead, Apple is waiting until the technology is ready to make a useful, responsive tablet at a price people are willing to pay. That technology includes multitouch, PA Semi-modified ARM chips, low-power graphics and wifi chips, lower-cost screens, batteries, and software.

Apple is looking at technology 3-5 years out, and at customer usage expectations 3-5 years out, and innovating to get the right product at the right price at that point. It takes time to design products (iPhone 4th Gen is just about finished), and Apple isn't directly reacting to what's being sold right now.
"you will know the truth, and the truth will
set you free."
Reply
"you will know the truth, and the truth will
set you free."
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple seen in 'pole position' to control mobile Internet computing