or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's iPhone commands 46% of Japanese smartphone market
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's iPhone commands 46% of Japanese smartphone market - Page 2

post #41 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Apparently that's not as critical a feature as they made it sound.

Yeah.

Trouble is, people confuse 'critical' with 'what matters to me, even though I have absolutely no clue about what 99.999999999% of users that don't post on Forums like these do with the device'.

post #42 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileMe View Post

BTW... Apple's entire developer platform (Mac, Safari, iPhone) is open to people who want to write powerful, elegant, and sophisticated Apps for a relevant and top of the line OS & Web browser. " Do you want to write code, or write the future " - Apple

Exactly. At this point, I think the whining is mostly from folks who can't get their adult-themed trash accepted.
post #43 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Congratulations Apple!

I don't have a iPhone, I'm waiting for a few things to occur first.

1: .......

Wait away.....
post #44 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Video chat,(...) it's a very impractical technology that no-one uses. Holding your phone at arm's length and shouting really doesn't have many everyday uses.

lean iphone against coffee mug on table?

headset? iphone earbuds with mic?

not that impractical, surely?

(personally i have no interest in video chat, just saying it could be more comfortable than what you describe)
post #45 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShepherd View Post

If I read the report correctly, the survey size was 2800 smart phone users who answered an email survey in September. The survey was only sent to subscribers who had previously signed up. How valid is this?

What is the potential source of bias? And, if there is such a bias, is it for or against the iPhone?
post #46 of 69
Virtually every notebook computer sold at least over the past two years comes with a web cam built in. Its a much more practical way of video conferencing than on a phone, but few people use it. Its not really a feature that people demand and use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidT View Post

(personally i have no interest in video chat, just saying it could be more comfortable than what you describe)
post #47 of 69
You see? Even the hardcore tech savy Japanese know that iPhone
is the greatest device they have ever seen. They all wet their
pants the minute they fired their iPhones up.. They know that
it blows the doors off of any shity copy like android and palm
samsung.. IPhone is our dream come true. It's what we all rest
our hopes and dreams on.. It's the device that's made by the great
apple..
post #48 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Virtually every notebook computer sold at least over the past two years comes with a web cam built in. Its a much more practical way of video conferencing than on a phone, but few people use it. Its not really a feature that people demand and use.

really? where are you getting this data from? sources? i don't have any data to refute your statements, but i do see a lot of people every day using the notebook camera for video conferencing/chatting ....
post #49 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifail View Post

Its really a lot of smaller brands to be honest, and i think their not included because they arent on much of a global scale and dont have a real ecosystem behind them. When you think smart phone makers, the first 4 things that pop into my mind are RIM, Apple, Google, Microsoft...not Sharp, Panasonic, NEC or Fujitsu (those are the popular brands i can think of in Japan)

Although they are smaller brands, they still have a name. I'm interested in reading up on these. Can you provide the name of a few of those smaller brands? Thanks.

EDIT: Do you know of cellular companies in Japan or elsewhere in Asia that sell these smaller brand phones? - Thanks.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply
post #50 of 69
There is no data, because there has been no study on it, because it's not that popular.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidT View Post

really? where are you getting this data from? sources? i don't have any data to refute your statements, but i do see a lot of people every day using the notebook camera for video conferencing/chatting ....
post #51 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

There is no data, because there has been no study on it, because it's not that popular.

that's a great lesson in lazy & comic argument - hope you're not employed as an educator anywhere? police and / or comedy could be more your forte :-)

a quick peek at google's offerings shows there's plenty of data, but i guess you wouldn't look it up - google probably isn't that popular where you live either

thanks for enlightening me though, now i know why nobody does any research on death and dying - death's just not that popular.
post #52 of 69
What's this "heavily discounted"?

The iPhone is comparably priced in Australia e.g. free on twenty four month contracts, just like any other smartphone, no doubt it's a similar situation in Japan.

Then again all four networks offer iPhones here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifail View Post

The iPhone is being heavily discounted by Softbank, not sure if this is true for the 3GS, whom is the 3rd largest carrier in the country iirc. The fact its still selling is a good sign.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #53 of 69
We do need to note the irony that you did not link to any of this easily found data. So does that make you as lazy as I? You really think Google isn't popular in New York?

Lets use this article for context, Video Conferencing, an Emerging Social Media Platform...Paltalk Claims 4 Million Active Users

This service has 4 million users around the world, FaceBook has nearly 400 million users worldwide, 4 trillion text messages sent per year, hundreds of billions of emails sent per year.

In light of these numbers, you don't find it safe to say video conferencing hasn't taken off as a popular communications medium?



Quote:
Originally Posted by davidT View Post


a quick peek at google's offerings shows there's plenty of data, but i guess you wouldn't look it up - google probably isn't that popular where you live either
post #54 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Although they are smaller brands, they still have a name. I'm interested in reading up on these. Can you provide the name of a few of those smaller brands? Thanks.

EDIT: Do you know of cellular companies in Japan or elsewhere in Asia that sell these smaller brand phones? - Thanks.

Not off the top of my head I don't, you can head over to the DoCoMo website and look at their offerings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

What's this "heavily discounted"?

The iPhone is comparably priced in Australia e.g. free on twenty four month contracts, just like any other smartphone, no doubt it's a similar situation in Japan.

Then again all four networks offer iPhones here.

The phone had been doing very poorly prior to the 3GS release (apple followers will claim otherwise) due to 2 things, overpriced plans (extremely competitive in japan with the 4 carriers) and better phones already there.

They have been giving the 3G away there because sales have been glacial to say the least. A bit of steam picked up for the 3GS but let me say I have my skepticism about this article, for Apple to have 46% they would have had to sell roughly 350k 3G an 400k 3GS for the estimated 1.6million smartphones japan is supposed to sell this year. Can someone tell me when the original 3g went on sale in Japan?
post #55 of 69
June or July last year. I bought one.

Bought a 3GS this June.

I see several iPhones every day where I live and it certainly ain't Tokyo.

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply
post #56 of 69
Misleading report.

Anybody who've been to Japan (I just came back from there a week ago) will know that the number of iPhone users are far and few between in Japan.

If you define those Sharp/Panasonic phones with imode, internet, 3g, etc, and TV features etc, as "smart", then I believe you're only going to see one iPhone for every 200 persons. I only spotted some handfuls of iPhone users (trust me Japanese people use their phones everywhere, all the time) throughout 10 days.

People using carrier-tied flip phones (and surfing the net/watching TV on the metro)? Almost everybody man.
post #57 of 69
For that matter, not many people use iPods visibly as well - most are stuck on their handphones or Sonys.

Didn't really spot many Mac users either, and the Windows presence is still pretty much stronger than any evidence of OSX (which is kinda sad, in a way).
post #58 of 69
Don't know where you were but I live in Japan (in the boonies) and I see iPhones every day; iPods are everywhere. The report, anyways, is about smartphones, not all cell phones.


As for Windoze, there are quite a few large PC makers in Japan... Macs are catching on, albeit slowly. I see quite a few Mc notebooks around town (two in a coffee shop just this morning; no PCs).

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply
post #59 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

As for Windoze, there are quite a few large PC makers in Japan... Macs are catching on, albeit slowly. I see quite a few Mc notebooks around town (two in a coffee shop just this morning; no PCs).

Out here in LA you walk into any coffee shop and youd think that Apple made the only computer and Facebook was the only thing you could do with it. Sometimes I swear Ive seen 50 open and being used without a single non-Mac in the room.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #60 of 69
So what's the reason for "giving them away" in Australia?

Apart from the rather obvious fact that iPhones are comparably priced with any other smartphone on a plan in Australia across all five companies who sell them.

It's called adapting to local market conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifail View Post

The phone had been doing very poorly prior to the 3GS release (apple followers will claim otherwise) due to 2 things, overpriced plans (extremely competitive in japan with the 4 carriers) and better phones already there.

They have been giving the 3G away there because sales have been glacial to say the least. A bit of steam picked up for the 3GS...
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #61 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Out here in LA you walk into any coffee shop and you’d think that Apple made the only computer and Facebook was the only thing you could do with it. Sometimes I swear I’ve seen 50 open and being used without a single non-Mac in the room.

Dropped in on our local Starbucks last night (yep we have them here, too) and there were about 20 customers. Three people were working on notebook computers: two MacBook Pros, a MacBook Air, no PCs. Five more people were playing on their cell phones; three were iPhones. Another handful were listening to music; couldn't see what everyone had, but saw an iPod Nano and an iPod Shuffle. And I repeat: I live in the boonies.

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply
post #62 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

So what's the reason for "giving them away" in Australia?

Apart from the rather obvious fact that iPhones are comparably priced with any other smartphone on a plan in Australia across all five companies who sell them.

It's called adapting to local market conditions.

Who gives a flying f*ck about Australia when this conversation is about Japan?
Australia has nowhere near the kinds of phones Japan has. A smartphone everywhere else in the world is a basic phone in Japan. Adapting to market conditions where every carrier has one and is trying to undercut each other and selling poorly are two entire different things, Softbank is the only carrier of the iPhone in Japan.

The 3G did not sell, they didnt buy it. So what else to do but give it away and hope people pay for the more expensive plan. The 3GS has done much better than the original 3G but how much is left to interpretation. The 3GS is now being given away for free as well as of Dec 5th in Softbanks iPhone for Everyone deal. CultofMac says that the iPhone represents roughly 20% overall since release of the smartphone market (since June O8, roughly 2.6 million "smartphones" have been sold in japan)

The fact is there are better phones in Japan, cheaper prices, with 90% the same or better features. In Australia do you have manufacturers putting out new bleeding edge models every 6-8 weeks?
post #63 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifail View Post

The fact is there are better phones in Japan, cheaper prices, with 90% the same or better features.

SHow us these phones. Show me a phone with a real standards-based browser that is better than Safari and with a capacitance mult-touch interface that allows for ease of use with intelligence zooming? Its hard to believe that the iPhone sold at all in Japan if they had these features and they are better than the iPhone.

Of course, you didnt mean any of that, you just used the term better without qualifying it in any way and likely just better when doing some pointless spec sheet comparison for a geeky dick measuring contest that is ultimately irrelevant if all these better features arent usable.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #64 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

SHow us these phones. Show me a phone with a real standards-based browser that is better than Safari and with a capacitance mult-touch interface that allows for ease of use with intelligence zooming? Its hard to believe that the iPhone sold at all in Japan if they had these features and they are better than the iPhone.

Of course, you didnt mean any of that, you just used the term better without qualifying it in any way and likely just better when doing some pointless spec sheet comparison for a geeky dick measuring contest that is ultimately irrelevant if all these better features arent usable.

Aww are your feelings hurt? Do you need me to kiss your bruised ego? Get over it dude, the iphone isn't a spectacle in japan, sorry. Quit being lazy and do your own damn research.

Oh and the iphone "BARELY" sells in japan, otherwise they wouldn't need to give it away for free when its a carrier exclusive would they? I mean people should be flocking to to the iPhone after all cause everything else is obsolete to the almighty iphone am I right?
post #65 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifail View Post

Aww are your feelings hurt? Do you need me to kiss your bruised ego? Get over it dude, the iphone isn't a spectacle in japan, sorry. Quit being lazy and do your own damn research.

Oh and the iphone "BARELY" sells in japan, otherwise they wouldn't need to give it away for free when its a carrier exclusive would they? I mean people should be flocking to to the iPhone after all cause everything else is obsolete to the almighty iphone am I right?

Wow, you really solidified your argument for the "facts" you presented earlier.

I have looked into other options in Japan, and have come to the conclusion that their phones are filled with useless features not because of the underlying tech in them, but the horrible UIs they have. I was hoping you really did have some examples. I guess you're not named ifail out of irony, after all.

The Android OS, although not there yet, is the only phone that is comparable to the iPhone as far as ease of use. The review on the Droid running Android over at Gizmodo seems to agree. Android needs help in their menus freezing or opening slowly, as well as the Video/Music player (which for some odd reason is hidden and not on the main screen.) Other than that apps load fast and it's enjoyable to use, according to the review.
post #66 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by technohermit View Post

Wow, you really solidified your argument for the "facts" you presented earlier.

I have looked into other options in Japan, and have come to the conclusion that their phones are filled with useless features not because of the underlying tech in them, but the horrible UIs they have. I was hoping you really did have some examples. I guess you're not named ifail out of irony, after all.

The Android OS, although not there yet, is the only phone that is comparable to the iPhone as far as ease of use. The review on the Droid running Android over at Gizmodo seems to agree. Android needs help in their menus freezing or opening slowly, as well as the Video/Music player (which for some odd reason is hidden and not on the main screen.) Other than that apps load fast and it's enjoyable to use, according to the review.

You want me to help you? Go to softbank.co.jp look at docomo's website, look at the other two major carriers that are there. I posted a link in one of earlier posts in this SAME THREAD to the phones that are currently selling well in Japan (nice that the 3GS was on it....until I realized they were giving it away for free when the numbers were for that week). People just aren't buying them in masses, its as simple as that.

UI means very little to the japanese, and all those specs mostly get used most features don't sit there and languish like how they do over here where you boast about them but never get used. Cell phones are a way of life over there more than it is over here (the closest thing most could recognize is a blackberry addict constantly pecking away at their keyboard).

If your feelings are hurt that their not swarming over everything Apple, well your feelings will continue to be hurt,

The smartphone industry in Japan is how it was over here 5-7 years ago, when the only reason you had a smartphone was for email but since nearly every phone can do email the only people you see toting smartphones are business users who needed enterprise email (this is why winmo has the dominant market share for smartphone os there) and need that encryption and deployment methods.

The consumer sector for smartphones isn't there like it is here.
post #67 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifail View Post

You want me to help you? Go to softbank.co.jp look at docomo's website, look at the other two major carriers that are there. I posted a link in one of earlier posts in this SAME THREAD to the phones that are currently selling well in Japan (nice that the 3GS was on it....until I realized they were giving it away for free when the numbers were for that week). People just aren't buying them in masses, its as simple as that.

I look at it this way. People who drove a Ford Taurus all of their life and disputed that other cars were better, and then finally broke down and bought a Honda Accord because they were "giving it away" will be hard for Ford to win back. Once people to change something that makes a really good impression, they will likely be customers of the newer better product for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifail View Post

UI means very little to the japanese, and all those specs mostly get used most features don't sit there and languish like how they do over here where you boast about them but never get used. Cell phones are a way of life over there more than it is over here (the closest thing most could recognize is a blackberry addict constantly pecking away at their keyboard).

If you are debating that a simple to navigate UI is less preferable to a complicated one....I don't know what else to do but /facepalm you.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ifail View Post

If your feelings are hurt that their not swarming over everything Apple, well your feelings will continue to be hurt,

I don't see anywhere in my argument about Apple being the be-all end-all, and like to compare and contrast things from different manufacturers. If any of my posts throughout the history of my posts on here look like they are biased towards Apple, it's probably deserved on Apple's part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifail View Post

The smartphone industry in Japan is how it was over here 5-7 years ago, when the only reason you had a smartphone was for email but since nearly every phone can do email the only people you see toting smartphones are business users who needed enterprise email (this is why winmo has the dominant market share for smartphone os there) and need that encryption and deployment methods.

The consumer sector for smartphones isn't there like it is here.

I agree with that, their backbone is much more capable. However, the use of MobileTV, mail, and media (such as music and pictures) has been limited by the design of the UIs of the smartphones there. Each manufacturer set up their own basically limited services and never got any major players on board to provide content or ease of use. That is what I was meaning to say earlier about their UIs stink. Probably a reason WinMo is big there, because it's better than what the Japanese phone makers could manage for a UI.


This argument is completely different than the one you presented earlier. WinMo doesn't trounce iPhone OS by any stretch of the imagination. This was your earlier statement, please correct me if it wasn't you who said it:

"The fact is there are better phones in Japan, cheaper prices, with 90% the same or better features."

Those features aren't being used the way they are here, which makes their market different. The mass appeal for the iPhone is in the fact that it isn't just a phone and does consumer friendly things very simply, like browse the web, manage music and video, and play some games. It is a replacement for three devices. If it takes giving the phone away free in Japan to crack the market, and then get features like RFID and better cameras into the next generation phone, then so be it. I still don't see it as a flop in a notoriously hard market to enter. It may take a little longer and a bit more effort, but then Japan always had been this way. At least people are taking this version home with them. If I remember right the kids in Japan were skipping the 3G in ponds for fun because they ran out of rocks. (Just kidding--but it was a flop.)
post #68 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by technohermit View Post

I look at it this way. People who drove a Ford Taurus all of their life and disputed that other cars were better, and then finally broke down and bought a Honda Accord because they were "giving it away" will be hard for Ford to win back. Once people to change something that makes a really good impression, they will likely be customers of the newer better product for a while.



If you are debating that a simple to navigate UI is less preferable to a complicated one....I don't know what else to do but /facepalm you.




I don't see anywhere in my argument about Apple being the be-all end-all, and like to compare and contrast things from different manufacturers. If any of my posts throughout the history of my posts on here look like they are biased towards Apple, it's probably deserved on Apple's part.



I agree with that, their backbone is much more capable. However, the use of MobileTV, mail, and media (such as music and pictures) has been limited by the design of the UIs of the smartphones there. Each manufacturer set up their own basically limited services and never got any major players on board to provide content or ease of use. That is what I was meaning to say earlier about their UIs stink. Probably a reason WinMo is big there, because it's better than what the Japanese phone makers could manage for a UI.


This argument is completely different than the one you presented earlier. WinMo doesn't trounce iPhone OS by any stretch of the imagination. This was your earlier statement, please correct me if it wasn't you who said it:

"The fact is there are better phones in Japan, cheaper prices, with 90% the same or better features."

Those features aren't being used the way they are here, which makes their market different. The mass appeal for the iPhone is in the fact that it isn't just a phone and does consumer friendly things very simply, like browse the web, manage music and video, and play some games. It is a replacement for three devices. If it takes giving the phone away free in Japan to crack the market, and then get features like RFID and better cameras into the next generation phone, then so be it. I still don't see it as a flop in a notoriously hard market to enter. It may take a little longer and a bit more effort, but then Japan always had been this way. At least people are taking this version home with them. If I remember right the kids in Japan were skipping the 3G in ponds for fun because they ran out of rocks. (Just kidding--but it was a flop.)

Their phones aren't really set up like smartphones, they just have a gang of features packed into the phone. Your not shaking your phone to shuffle music or clear a selection. No doubt Apple has the UI game on lock but they are missing some Hello Kitty lol

While the UI may lack substance or style the features are there and work so the incentive to switch is less. WinMo is big over there mostly because of Windows and the fact they were first real organized enterprise device over there. Since last june Apple has taken 20% of the smartphone market which is respectable but hardly the 48% this story portrays. RIM is doing pretty terrible as well and it should be noted.

And I stand by my statement, while Apple has the ui on lock, the features people care about are either missing (osai keifu is a big one, just another form of RFID, and I probably spelled that wrong fyi) and ARE on practically every other device in japan as well as the phone plan prices are higher for the iphone compared to other devices with the same or more features (email, web surfing, not stuff like the app store).


Lastly I agree the phone isn't a flop but its not a shining star either. The iphone is a hit here (and comparable smartphones) because they are all in one devices and marketed as such for phone media and web. Phones over there have the same listed features so its even less of an impact on a market that has had that stuff for years. If anything its spelling the end for PMPs as more devices are putting all-in-one for us (even apple knows this).

Japan is the worst market to take on as an outsider, Apple had success with the iPod but I doubt they will replicate it with the iPhone which is just a totally different beast altogether.
post #69 of 69
SoftBank lowered their data plan rate when the iPhone was released.

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's iPhone commands 46% of Japanese smartphone market