or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Intel to detail next-gen MacBook Pro processors at CES

Intel to detail next-gen MacBook Pro processors at CES

post #1 of 95
Intel's "Arrandale" dual-core processors, expected by some industry watchers to be the chips Apple will adopt to further its MacBook Pro line, are said to be in production and shipping to vendors ahead of their planned introduction next month.

Intel announced this week that the new chips will debut at CES on Jan. 7, 2010. They will be a part of a "32-nanometer-minute" press conference and accompanying keynote by the company's chief executive, Paul Otellini.

Intel said the "major news event" will introduce the upcoming Intel Core processors that will bring Turbo Boost Technology to mainstream markets. The new chips include Core i3 and Core i5 mobile processors. In addition, new Core i7 chips are also expected.

At a press event held Thursday, Intel officials revealed that the company is releasing 17 new CPUs that will arrive in new machines set to debut in early 2010. The new 32nm chips offer improved speed, better graphics performance and lower power consumption. Specifics, such as prices and clock speeds, were not discussed.

The new processors are set to improve upon the previous line of Intel's Core 2 Duo chips, which have been utilized in versions of Apple's new MacBook, MacBook Pro, and iMac. Apple uses the mobile variants of Intel's desktop chips for those systems, meaning machines with chips based on the Arrandale architecture could arrive in early 2010.

Unlike the Core 2 Duo CPUs, Arrandale processors will have the major northbridge chipset memory controller components built in. Currently, Apple uses Nvidia chipsets with its Mac lineup. But the architectural changes through Arrandale -- along with an ongoing lawsuit that has forced Nvidia to halt the development of future chipsets -- would likely make it difficult for Apple to continue with Nvidia.

Apple last updated its MacBook Pro line in June at the Worldwide Developers Conference. Those systems included Core 2 Duo processors and Nvidia graphics, along with cheaper prices, better displays and built-in batteries.

Earlier this week, details on Intel's forthcoming "Gulftown" 32nm, six-core processor leaked. The supposed Core i7-980X 3.33GHz could be a part of Mac Pro systems in early 2010.
post #2 of 95
I'm worried about the graphics cards. Intel isn't known for such, and the childish behavior towards Nvidia has left many wondering what they'll use that's better then the 9400m??? I think the 13" will stay the same and the 15" & 17" will have the refresh due to graphics.... Intel should just buy Nvidia (If they'll even be allowed)

Though Apple being Apple, will usually surprise us for the good and will see how much better this next refresh will be. Have no fear Steve is there
Apple!

Think Different
Apple!

Think Different
post #3 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

While I hope this is the case I am not sure its going to be. When was the last time Apple used the lastest chip offering in a new update?

I also keep seeing more article like this as the update gets closer.

http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news...-graphics.aspx

Yeah I've read alot of published articles like that. Nvdia is really the better option (whether Intel likes that or not).

Here's a CRAZY IDEA... What if Apple had PA Semi engineers made custom chips for not only the iPhone but Notebooks also & Apple decided to buy Nvdia & they made graphics cards just for Apple! .. Ehh just my dreaming though
Apple!

Think Different
Apple!

Think Different
post #4 of 95
Hopefully Apple willl take advantage of the integrated graphics chip for battery only operation and put in a higher end graphics chip for plugged in use in the 15" and 17". That means we can completely ignore the crappy Intel graphics and use the real graphics chip.

If what we read about efficient power use, etc. is accurate, it could be advantageous having only one real graphics card instead of stuffing in two.

How about better audio circuitry?
Macintosh: It just WORKS!
Macintosh: It just WORKS!
post #5 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileMe View Post

I'm worried about the graphics cards. Intel isn't known for such, and the childish behavior towards Nvidia has left many wondering what they'll use that's better then the 9400m??? I think the 13" will stay the same and the 15" & 17" will have the refresh due to graphics.... Intel should just buy Nvidia (If they'll even be allowed)

Though Apple being Apple, will usually surprise us for the good and will see how much better this next refresh will be. Have no fear Steve is there

bundleGate. That's all I'll say for fear of Vinea or other "supervisory" powers that be coming down on me. That... and it's so interesting that this article didn't really mention bundleGate. This is truly how liberty dies, with thunderous applause... at CES 2010.
post #6 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffharris View Post

Hopefully Apple willl take advantage of the integrated graphics chip for battery only operation and put in a higher end graphics chip for plugged in use in the 15" and 17". That means we can completely ignore the crappy Intel graphics and use the real graphics chip.

If what we read about efficient power use, etc. is accurate, it could be advantageous having only one real graphics card instead of stuffing in two.

How about better audio circuitry?

THANK YOU very much for raising issues like this early on in this thread. I shan't say more.
post #7 of 95
i'd love to buy an new macbook pro with matte screen and Blu-ray

wonder if apple will ever support blu-ray ? getting frustrating at this point.
post #8 of 95
Quote:

Yeah I've read alot of published articles like that. Nvdia is really the better option (whether Intel likes that or not).

Here's a CRAZY IDEA... What if Apple had PA Semi engineers made custom chips for not only the iPhone but Notebooks also & Apple decided to buy Nvdia & they made graphics cards just for Apple! .. Ehh just my dreaming though

apple will never buy a competitor to their main CPU supplier. nvidia supplies dell and HP as well and that business will vanish if apple buys them
post #9 of 95
Quote:

these days almost everything is better than the ancient 9400M
post #10 of 95
Quote:

nvidia is way behind the graphics card curve right now. ati is beating them into the ground. the 9400m is quite old by today's standards.
post #11 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Earlier this week, details on Intel's forthcoming "Gulftown" 32nm, six-core processor leaked. The supposed Core i7-980X 3.33GHz could be a part of Mac Pro systems in early 2010.

Apple uses Xeon in the MacPro.
post #12 of 95
This is gossip.

Intel said nothing of the kind: ``Intel to detail next-gen MacBook Pro processors at CES.''

BS.

Where in their statements do they cite Apple?

http://www.intel.com/pressroom/archi...091217corp.htm

Seriously? Where in there does it state Apple?
post #13 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zep View Post

nvidia is way behind the graphics card curve right now. ati is beating them into the ground. the 9400m is quite old by today's standards.

Not in the mobile space.

Only most recently in the desktop space.
post #14 of 95
I feel like Apple will Have to follow at least some of the general trend.

Given that and their price-sensitivity on anything but Pro machines, and we'll probably be seeing Intel graphics on every laptop short of the $2k MBP. -Hell, maybe even on the entry-level iMac.

I just don't see any other way.
Yes, you can switch gpus even with the on-package stuff, but Apple's not paying for another component on the circuitboard if they can help it.

And with the 9400M still being about 2-3x faster than the x4500MHD, the newer machines might be a step backward, as the "Intel HD Graphics" on the new chip probably won't be more than a sneeze above the 4500. Maybe even just putting the 45 itself into the new config.

Oh well. Alas, poor Nvidia. We hardly knew ye.
"-but Jimmy has fear? A thousand times no. I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey strong bowels were girded with strength like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the...
"-but Jimmy has fear? A thousand times no. I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey strong bowels were girded with strength like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the...
post #15 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by superkaratemonkeydeathcar View Post

I feel like Apple will Have to follow at least some of the general trend.

Given that and their price-sensitivity on anything but Pro machines, and we'll probably be seeing Intel graphics on every laptop short of the $2k MBP. -Hell, maybe even on the entry-level iMac.

I just don't see any other way.
Yes, you can switch gpus even with the on-package stuff, but Apple's not paying for another component on the circuitboard if they can help it.

And with the 9400M still being about 2-3x faster than the x4500MHD, the newer machines might be a step backward, as the "Intel HD Graphics" on the new chip probably won't be more than a sneeze above the 4500. Maybe even just putting the 45 itself into the new config.

Oh well. Alas, poor Nvidia. We hardly knew ye.

My guess:

Arrandale cpus with dedicated graphics on the MBP line.

MacBooks and the mini keep Core 2 cpus with a speed bump and the 9400m.

If the iMac gets the Clarksdale cpu for the 21" model and entry 27' then it'll get dedicate graphics.
post #16 of 95
spec for spec the price of the MBP is way too much compared to something similar from Dell or HP. iMac's are in line. at some point Apple is going to have to upgrade the graphics or the recent sales gains will vanish. especially with hardware accelerated flash coming to Windows PC's next year
post #17 of 95
Quote:

Just over one year ago Nvidia came to Apple many months prior to the official announcement, and talked to Apple about a major graphics card they wanted to build. That would combine the chipset & an extremely powerful embedded graphics processor all in one part all for a desktop computer. We (Apple) loved that idea but wanted to use that in a notebook & wanted to work together with Nvidia on that. Which turned out to be something GREAT! and they dubbed it the 9400m. Which is an amazing chip! IMO
  • The chipset + GPU (ALL UNDER ONE DIE)

70% Of the die area is the GPU (30% is the chipset)

It has 16 parallel graphics cores on it.

Which delivers 54 GIGAFLOPS of graphics performance (So it's a stunner in regards to performance)

It turned out that this was 5x faster then the previous integrated graphics Apple were using in their prior notebooks...AGAIN up to 5x Faster! (Who says Apple doesn't love the Consumer?!?)

The 9600M GT Is the State of the Art in Mobile graphics

That has 32 Parallel graphics cores

120 GIGAFLOPS

and 512MB Video memory.

Not to mention the great battery life that came with Nvdia after moving to their chipset architecture..... WITH THAT SAID I HOPE APPLE DOES SKIP ARRANDALE

TO ADD: NVIDIA IS STILL AHEAD OF THE CURVE
Apple!

Think Different
Apple!

Think Different
post #18 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

spec for spec the price of the MBP is way too much compared to something similar from Dell or HP. iMac's are in line. at some point Apple is going to have to upgrade the graphics or the recent sales gains will vanish. especially with hardware accelerated flash coming to Windows PC's next year

i tend to agree with this.

macs would be better received if they had some bigger horsepower behind the graphics cards for the gamers. i can build a rig that costs about $1k less and has more graphics power.
post #19 of 95
i just played with imac/dell/alienware pricing and the iMac is the same or cheaper. the 27" monitor nails it every time.

with laptops everyone has LED backlit screens these days and you can configure a $1200 Dell Studio laptop with similar specs to a $2000 MBP. back in June the pricing favored Apple, but they have kept their prices steady while Dell and others passed on cost savings from technological progress
post #20 of 95
My next Apple purchase will most likely be a 27" iMac i7 "after" the Q2 update/refresh. My 3-year old battle-ax MBP C2D 2,2 has more than enough horsepower for the road and (hopefully) plenty of life left in it.

A iMac i7 will clearly outperform a MBP i7. Coupled with my Dell 2407 monitor -- and my untethered MBP -- I'll have a 2 monitor desktop and a wireless laptop HO.
post #21 of 95
A Quad-core MacBook Pro would be nice

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

post #22 of 95
The two most important features is missing...

Thermal Design Power (TDP).
Number of cores.

Now, the real revolution will come when cores can turn on/off as required on real time, being on only when needed, thus saving energy and heat!
post #23 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchelljd View Post

i'd love to buy an new macbook pro with matte screen and Blu-ray

wonder if apple will ever support blu-ray ? getting frustrating at this point.

More frustrating, considering that Apple is on the Blu-ray association's board of directors.

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2005/mar/10blu-ray.html

As such, shouldn't Apple be doing more to promote Blu-ray rather than trying to undermine it?
post #24 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

More frustrating, considering that Apple is on the Blu-ray association's board of directors.

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2005/mar/10blu-ray.html

As such, shouldn't Apple be doing more to promote Blu-ray rather than trying to undermine it?

Blu-ray is a Bag of hurt. Not that big of a deal.

Me
Apple!

Think Different
Apple!

Think Different
post #25 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenburg View Post

Apple uses Xeon in the MacPro.

Historically, yes. They'd also historically only used laptop processors in the current form factor of the iMac -- until the new line-up.

I have doubts, too, but I wouldn't bet against i5 or i7 Mac Pros.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

You can hook a Blu-Ray player up to the new iMacs...? :1
Multiplex is an online comic strip about the staff of a movie theater.
Multiplex is an online comic strip about the staff of a movie theater.
post #26 of 95
Well, I'm looking to getting my new Imac 21.5 with the ATI. When is the next refresh gonna be? Should I wait till January or what.. I don't wanna buy a Core 2 Duo if what I heard about i3 i5 stuff is true?
post #27 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by alectheking View Post

Well, I'm looking to getting my new Imac 21.5 with the ATI. When is the next refresh gonna be? Should I wait till January or what..

Buy the current iMac's theirs nothing wrong with them, a wait until "refresh" isn't necessary.
Apple!

Think Different
Apple!

Think Different
post #28 of 95
Quote:

Buy the current iMac's theirs nothing wrong with them, a wait until "refresh" isn't necessary.

What about the rumored i3's?
post #29 of 95
Quote:

What about the rumored i3's?

Your right!, I forgot and their suppose to be released in Jan (meaning those chips) but again with intel it always comes down to graphics...even-though when they showed off the chips this past June, they were running WoW on low end laptops with no problem.... I guess it comes down to need.

I'd wait and see.... And beside Apple has delayed shipping for 2wks on the 27" imacs for (whatever reason) even though I know your looking at the 21" ...Apple may surprise us with a quiet specs bump in Jan like they did in 2008 for the Mac Pro's in Jan ..... I'd wait and see
Apple!

Think Different
Apple!

Think Different
post #30 of 95
Quote:

Your right!, I forgot and their suppose to be released in Jan (meaning those chips) but again with intel it always comes down to graphics...even-though when they showed off the chips this past June, they were running WoW on low end laptops with no problem.... I guess it comes down to need.

I'd wait and see.... And beside Apple has delayed shipping for 2wks on the 27" imacs for (whatever reason) even though I know your looking at the 21" ...Apple may surprise us with a quiet specs bump in Jan like they did in 2008 for the Mac Pro's in Jan ..... I'd wait and see

I would hate to buy a Core 2 duo and then have an i3 in Jan. And I just read that it said i3's are actually shipping right now, ahead of schedule!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Core_i3
post #31 of 95
I have the feeling the current 21.5 is just a stop gap product it had to be put out but the good stuff wasn't ready yet.. and now the i3's are chillen.
post #32 of 95
Quote:

I would hate to buy a Core 2 duo and then have an i3 in Jan. And I just read that it said i3's are actually shipping right now, ahead of schedule!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Core_i3

Thanks for this I'm going to wait also.
Apple!

Think Different
Apple!

Think Different
post #33 of 95
Quote:

The 9600M GT Is the State of the Art in Mobile graphics

Are you being serious!? The 9600M GT is middle-of-the-road at best, and was at release (though it probably offered a decent price/performance/power consumption ratio, i.e. it was balanced not state-of-the-art):

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-...GT.9449.0.html

Personally, an Nvidia GTS 250M with 96 cores at only 5W more TDP than the 9600M is much more my idea of a dedicated mobile GPU for "professional" laptops! We're still waiting for the ATI 5xxx series mobile GPUs which may be even more competitive.

Apple are always behind the curve when it comes to graphics:
  1. Why has it taken them so long to support hardware H.264 decoding for the graphics cards they use in their machines (which saves battery, improves quality)? Many NVidia / ATI cards they build into their Macs have supported it for years, Apple haven't.
  2. Why such klunky 9400/9600 switching and why no hybrid SLI / OpenCL support for dual GPUs in the MBP?
  3. Why no OpenGL 3 yet?
  4. Why the OpenGL performance regressions in Snow Leopard?
  5. Why are professional NVidia cards so much less optimised for graphics professionals compared to Windows drivers (see the Ars Technica review)?
  6. etc.
post #34 of 95
Quote:

Thanks for this I'm going to wait also.

would a january update be reasonable? I just sold my Macbook and don't really have a ton of patience
post #35 of 95
If I will buy the new MBP in January,
i7 Intel CPU + brand new NVidia GPU
would be enough for me (I think so)
post #36 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

Quote:

i tend to agree with this.

macs would be better received if they had some bigger horsepower behind the graphics cards for the gamers. i can build a rig that costs about $1k less and has more graphics power.

I don't have strong opinions about the competitiveness of Apple's hardware, but it seems worth pointing out that these exact sentiments have been getting expressed, every few weeks, for the last five years or so. Apple is always just moments away from losing market share, or forgoing market share that's there for the taking, because their machines cost more and are poorly specced.

Apple has been doing nothing but outpacing the growth of the PC market in general during this time period, so maybe it's not entirely true.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #37 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I don't have strong opinions about the competitiveness of Apple's hardware, but it seems worth pointing out that these exact sentiments have been getting expressed, every few weeks, for the last five years or so. Apple is always just moments away from losing market share, or forgoing market share that's there for the taking, because their machines cost more and are poorly specced.

Apple has been doing nothing but outpacing the growth of the PC market in general during this time period, so maybe it's not entirely true.

something to always keep in mind. 1% growth for apple is much easier to obtain than 1% pc market.

the biggest issue i have with apple's hardware is their terrible lack of getting a decent graphics card in their machines for the price that you pay. they build a great box and a good OS, but the price is way out of line for what is in there.
post #38 of 95
Quote:

I think that would be a great idea... But I guess I'm daydreaming too

Anyway, one thing that we should note is that nVidia has always proven to be a reliable company, be it in terms of hardware or anything else. Nvidia really 'supported' AMD with the nForce. And, very quickly, the nForce proved to be a superb chipset. Besides, it is well known that nVidia makes better hardware than ATI, although ATI does a better job at GPU-image processing level. I was 'shocked' when I heard the news about nVidia halting development(or processing, whatever, I forgot) to focus on the lawsuit.

Really, it's high time someone check Intel. Intel has been a real bully in the IT industry. Intel has the worst monopolistic behaviors in this industry...
post #39 of 95
Quote:

something to always keep in mind. 1% growth for apple is much easier to obtain than 1% pc market.

the biggest issue i have with apple's hardware is their terrible lack of getting a decent graphics card in their machines for the price that you pay. they build a great box and a good OS, but the price is way out of line for what is in there.

Well, some might say it's due to the hardware, or beautiful box, but one very important thing to remember: Apple does not want any dumb/idiot to buy a Mac, and not know how to really 'use' it. Generally, Mac users are better informed/knowledgeable than their PC counterparts. Imagine if Macs were priced as the 'casual' PC. Who wouldn't be buying a Mac?? Every dumbas$ would want a Mac, yet not know the significance of owning one, of even the philosophy behind Apple's computers. I personally think people should deserve a Mac to earn one/ buy themselves one.

The best way to sum his up is to quote Steve when he once said something like: "....I always thought people must think different to use our products..."
post #40 of 95
I wonder if anybody knows what bit rate the new graphics will have? Is it still 8bit or are they finally seeing the light and bumping it to 10bit? There are more monitors coming out that can display 10bit. It sure would be nice...
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Intel to detail next-gen MacBook Pro processors at CES