or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Verizon preparing for possible arrival of iPhone in 2010 - report

Verizon preparing for possible arrival of iPhone in 2010 - report

post #1 of 142
Verizon, the largest wireless provider in the U.S., is reportedly investing in its network to make it capable of handling extra traffic from Apple's iPhone, a company official said.

In an interview with BusinessWeek, Anthony Melone, Verizon Wireless' chief technology officer, said his company is prepared if Apple decides to end its exclusive agreement with AT&T in 2010.

"We have put things in place already," Melone reportedly said. "We are prepared to support that traffic."

The company official did not, however, comment on the prospect of the iPhone becoming available on Verizon. But various reports as of late have suggested Apple could be working with chip-maker Qualcomm for a CDMA-capable iPhone that could run on the Verizon network. While there is some debate as to whether the phone would be a dual-mode, also compatible with GSM networks, or solely CDMA, reports have pegged the new handset for a possible launch in the third quarter of 2010.

Some analysts believe a Verizon iPhone in 2010 is a very likely scenario. Piper Jaffray believes there is a 70 percent chance Apple will launch the handset in mid-calendar year 2010. With 89 million customers, Verizon would add a great number of potential customers for Apple to expand the iPhone to.

But some others believe that a deal between Apple and Verizon would be too complicated, citing the incompatibility of the current phone with its network, and also the conflicting interests between the two companies. Others have viewed T-Mobile as a potential candidate, as it and AT&T are the only nationwide GSM networks in the U.S.

Verizon has invested nearly $19 billion in its wireless network over the last three years, and made acquisitions of companies like Alltell to improve its network. Melone said his company's investment in its network is evidence that it takes its service seriously.

AT&T's network, meanwhile, has struggled since the launch of the iPhone 3GS, and key features like multimedia messaging and tethering were delayed to prevent a strain on the network. But Melone told BusinessWeek that Verizon would not have those same issues.

"We will handle it if we ever get it," he said.
post #2 of 142
Nothing we didn't already know: Verizon would be more than happy to carry the iPhone, but no idea what Apple's plans are.
post #3 of 142
Verizon has definitely been better at buiding out it's network than ATT. I'm sure they've taken this time to learn from ATT's failures.
post #4 of 142
My neighbor who works for Verizon in their network division told me that they have been working on prepping their network to support the iPhone. Take it for what it's worth.
post #5 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Verizon has definitely been better at buiding out it's network than ATT. I'm sure they've taken this time to learn from ATT's failures.

Are there any statistics that show the volume ofdata traffic in AT&T and Verizon? And what increase would the iPhone bring?

We really don't know how well Verizon will actually do.
post #6 of 142
Isn't Verizon supposed to start activating a LTE network next year? Maybe a gsm/lte version of the phone, since I though that both At&t and Verizon were going to that technology.

Jason
post #7 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndbbm View Post

Isn't Verizon supposed to start activating a LTE network next year? Maybe a gsm/lte version of the phone, since I though that both At&t and Verizon were going to that technology.

Jason

i think vzw is still going to use CDMA as the voice backbone as it is a better voice quality codec and LTE as data. LTE wont just be magically switched on and CDMA cut off. it will be gradual.

also, i think LTE is going to be rolled out starting in 2011 ( i could be wrong on this date tho ).
post #8 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

But some others believe that a deal between Apple and Verizon would be too complicated, citing the incompatibility of the current phone with its network

There are no technical or economic barriers to getting an iPhone on Verizon. The only thing preventing it from happening is the two companies agreeing to do it. Everything else is trivial.
post #9 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorotea View Post

Are there any statistics that show the volume ofdata traffic in AT&T and Verizon? And what increase would the iPhone bring?

We really don't know how well Verizon will actually do.

Not sure but if Apple took the iPhone to Verizon, it would also solve two problems.
1) Allow Verizon customers to get the iPhone.
2) AT&T bandwidth issues would improve since many people would switch to Verizon.

WIN-WIN
post #10 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zep View Post

i think vzw is still going to use CDMA as the voice backbone as it is a better voice quality codec and LTE as data. LTE wont just be magically switched on and CDMA cut off. it will be gradual.

also, i think LTE is going to be rolled out starting in 2011 ( i could be wrong on this date tho ).

There is also a big difference between "rolling out" and "ready for widespread use".
The LTE network may have issues with coverage initially as well.
post #11 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by crees! View Post

My neighbor who works for Verizon in their network division told me that they have been working on prepping their network to support the iPhone. Take it for what it's worth.

in the end it means nothing. they could be doing to so they can brag that, unlike ATT, they can support that level of traffic. for the Droid and everything else. It does NOT equal that there will ever be a Verizon phone at this point. when LTE is living large as THE connection sure. by that point the phone could be unlocked and a free for all game. but right now. maybe maybe not

I myself am with the nots. in fact I don't see much happening with the 2010 iphone other than perhaps a slightly better camera, better battery, bigger storage and maybe one more color choice (probably a silvery gray). I suspect that 2010 will be the release of a new iphone os device, namely the tablet. that will be the IT for the year. announced in say feb but release in late june/early july to give folks time to create content. and we'll find out that the contract with ATT is up and all phones sold at that point and after will be sim unlocked and all current phones will be unlocked under conditions x,y and z. and the tablet will be unlocked and that is what the dual chips were for.that way they can tap the market for those that live in ATT dead zones, never saw the appeal of such a tiny screen for email etc so why get a phone or want a netbook. they can add a data only line on whatever service they are on instead of having to change. or since the phone part would be optional they could use it as a wifi only tablet. win, win and win

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #12 of 142
Perhaps this story is a smokescreen for Verizon being signed up as a carrier for the tablet.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #13 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Verizon, the largest wireless provider in the U.S., is reportedly investing in its network to make it capable of handling extra traffic from Apple's iPhone, a company official said.

In an interview with BusinessWeek, Anthony Melone, Verizon Wireless' chief technology officer, said his company is prepared if Apple decides to end its exclusive agreement with AT&T in 2010.

"We have put things in place already," Melone reportedly said. "We are prepared to support that traffic."

"We will handle it if we ever get it," he said.

An update of an interview published in the April 27, 2009 issue of Business Week? i.e.,

Quote:
Verizon Wireless is warming to the idea of an Apple (AAPL) partnership. Verizon Wireless is in talks with Apple to distribute two new iPhone-like devices, BusinessWeek has learned. Apple has created prototypes of the devices, and discussions reaching back a half-year have involved Apple CEO Steve Jobs, according to two people familiar with the matter.

One device is a smaller, less expensive calling device described by a person who has seen it as an "iPhone lite." The other is a media pad that would let users listen to music, view photos, and watch high-definition videos, the person says. It would place calls over a Wi-Fi connection.
post #14 of 142
Quote:

I've been hearing these anecdotal rumors all over the place myself. I wonder if the contract with AT&T is through 2010 or til the new hardware in June.
post #15 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

There are no technical or economic barriers to getting an iPhone on Verizon. The only thing preventing it from happening is the two companies agreeing to do it. Everything else is trivial.

Verizon is CDMA not GSM and LTE ain't everywhere so a Verizon iphone would need CDMA to fail back on.

thus a whole second line of phones would have to be made, meaning double the models for staff to juggle around, etc.

so yes there are technical and economic barriers, once the 'trival' part is settled.

as for those BusinessWeek articles, they say that Verizon would love to play with Apple. Nothing about Apple being willing to play

post #16 of 142
Quote:

So I guess the Droid isn't challenging their network then? Is this a tacit admission that it's not the big deal that was hyped a month ago? (Just like the Palm Pre earlier in the year?)
post #17 of 142
i think that the next iphone should be sold contract-free from apple (or apple should make their own network )
post #18 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

So I guess the Droid isn't challenging their network then? Is this a tacit admission that it's not the big deal that was hyped a month ago? (Just like the Palm Pre earlier in the year?)

i dont think thats the case. i think its more of the case that the typical iphone user uses more data than anyone else.
post #19 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Verizon is CDMA not GSM and LTE ain't everywhere so a Verizon iphone would need CDMA to fail back on.

thus a whole second line of phones would have to be made, meaning double the models for staff to juggle around, etc.

so yes there are technical and economic barriers, once the 'trival' part is settled.

as for those BusinessWeek articles, they say that Verizon would love to play with Apple. Nothing about Apple being willing to play

When Apple was looking for a partner for the iphone, they took it to verizon but could not come to an agreement. This means that the iphone was both cdma and gsm capable from the start. They could easily sell both types without a hitch.
post #20 of 142
Quote:

Yes, how could the Apple Store staff possibly handle the jump from 5 SKU's to 10? They'd probably need months of intense training for such a massive increase in available items.
post #21 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsad23 View Post

When Apple was looking for a partner for the iphone, they took it to verizon but could not come to an agreement. This means that the iphone was both cdma and gsm capable from the start. They could easily sell both types without a hitch.

A source to back up that statement would be interesting to read.

Just because Apple approached Verizon early on doesn't mean that they had the radio components all worked out in advance.
post #22 of 142
Person: Verizon, didn't you blast the iPhone for not having a keyboard, 5MP camera, and removable battery? And now you suddenly carry it and advertise it?

Verizon: Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh...............Come onnnnnnnnnnn.............
post #23 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by revolume View Post

person: Verizon, didn't you blast the iphone for not having a keyboard, 5mp camera, and removable battery? And now you suddenly carry it and advertise it?

Verizon: Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh...............come onnnnnnnnnnn.............

LOL Just got a mental picture of that.
post #24 of 142
Quote:

A source to back up that statement would be interesting to read.

Just because Apple approached Verizon early on doesn't mean that they had the radio components all worked out in advance.

I do not think they would have approached anyone without the capable hardware ready. Its not the hardware or software that is stopping the iphone from expanding, but $ and the exclusive contracts that Apple signed with Att.

I feel that the other carriers will be more than willing to play ball with Apple now after witnessing the success of the iphone
post #25 of 142
...or, it could have nothing to do with the iPhone at all. Doesn't anyone want to even entertain that possibility?
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #26 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolume View Post

Person: Verizon, didn't you blast the iPhone for not having a keyboard, 5MP camera, and removable battery? And now you suddenly carry it and advertise it?

Verizon: Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh...............Come onnnnnnnnnnn.............

And didn't AT&T just slam Verizon because with their current network they can't do both Voice & Data at the same time.

This room couldn't have been happier with the commercial.

Apple would look pretty foolish for "Settling" for a sub standard network after allowing Verizon to air the commercial.

Apple: Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh......Come onnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn..............
post #27 of 142
But wouldn't a Verizon iPhone be incapable of simultaneous voice and data operations? Doesn't seem like Verizon users would get the full experience. Just wondering....
post #28 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngusYoung View Post

And didn't AT&T just slam Verizon because with their current network they can't do both Voice & Data at the same time.

This room couldn't have been happier with the commercial.

Apple would look pretty foolish for "Settling" for a sub standard network after allowing Verizon to air the commercial.

Apple: Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh......Come onnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn..............

Apple spent years blasting Intel in favor of ppc chips...now they are "foolishly" selling 3 mil. intel macs a quater
post #29 of 142
Quote:

The new Qualcomm chipset takes care of the problem as it does GSM, CDMA and LTE.

Quote:

I think you'll find that Droid users, I'm one, are using the network almost as heavily as iPhone users. What I've found though is that most of my usage seems to be via WiFi. My first full month I used less that 200MB which surprised me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zep View Post

They can do that but I don't know why they would. LTE uses VoIP so once you connect to the channel everything works so why tie up two channels.

The funny thing is that you can do the same with EDVO that is run data and voice at the same time but you have to do voice using VoIP. This is not an issue with smart phones but it an issue with the towers. I don't know if a hardware upgrade is needed or just a software upgrade would make it work.
post #30 of 142
Quote:

I take that to mean I am going to get a 64 gig Verizon iPhone for Christmas. Hurry up guys! Only seven shopping days left!
post #31 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Not sure but if Apple took the iPhone to Verizon, it would also solve two problems.
1) Allow Verizon customers to get the iPhone.
2) AT&T bandwidth issues would improve since many people would switch to Verizon.

WIN-WIN

...but not for AT&T, which stands to lose a lot of costumers.
post #32 of 142
You know I have had this thought in the back of my mind several times in the past - good thinking. I think it is very possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Perhaps this story is a smokescreen for Verizon being signed up as a carrier for the tablet.
post #33 of 142
Please God YES!!!! At&T coverage BLOWS ass here! My wife has an iPhone and is constantly asking me to borrow my V phone to return phone calls.
post #34 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

An update of an interview published in the April 27, 2009 issue of Business Week? i.e.,

That's the beauty of journalism. They can "speculate" out their ass and declare themselves credible and ethical in their bs speculation.
post #35 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

...or, it could have nothing to do with the iPhone at all. Doesn't anyone want to even entertain that possibility?

This is the most compelling rumour on this subject I've read and it still doesn't sound very likely. I think your statement makes the most sense, especially considering the lack of simultaneous voice and data.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #36 of 142
If VZW get's the iPhone and Has Rollover minutes , then I would consider it.

AT&T service is great in my area so dont care what happens with Verizon.

2010 MacBook Pro 13, 2.66
Dell XPS 420 - Gaming PC
iPhone 3G 8GB
iPhone 4 on StraightTalk

2010 MacBook Pro 13, 2.66
Dell XPS 420 - Gaming PC
iPhone 3G 8GB
iPhone 4 on StraightTalk

post #37 of 142
Quote:

I understand perfectly well the differences between the networks. But those technical differences would be TRIVIAL for Apple to deal with (every other phone maker somehow manages to accomplish this), and therefore that is not a barrier. Apple makes enough iPhones that using part of their capacity to make a CDMA phone would in no way affect their economy of scale. Note that Apple makes a special version of the iPhone for China, and look how small that market is turning out to be. Apple is also maintaining the previous 3G production lines in order to continue making the 8 GB version of the iPhone after the 3GS came out. With the next update to the iPhone, simply switch those lines over to making CDMA phones. That would be no more difficult than updating that line to make the next gen ATT iPhone.

As for maintaining stock...how would that be any different if Apple started offering the iPhone on another GSM carrier in the US (ie, Tmobile)? You'd still be maintaining separate stock, some with ATT SIM cards and some with Tmobile SIM cards.

The ONLY barrier is Apple and Verizon deciding to do it. If/when they made that decision, everything else would be relatively easy in the grand scheme of things.
post #38 of 142
Why beef up the network for the iPhone? I thought it was already so danggone great! I guess not.
2011 13" 2.3 MBP, 2006 15" 2.16 MBP, iPhone 4, iPod Shuffle, AEBS, AppleTV2 with XBMC.
2011 13" 2.3 MBP, 2006 15" 2.16 MBP, iPhone 4, iPod Shuffle, AEBS, AppleTV2 with XBMC.
post #39 of 142
[QUOTE=AngusYoung;1536936]And didn't AT&T just slam Verizon because with their current network they can't do both Voice & Data at the same time.QUOTE]

Great point. Won't Verizon users be disappointed when they can't talk on the phone and use the data services? Sure, Verizon might have better voice quality, but I think I'd feel cheated if I switched back to Verizon and found my user experience lessened.

And - tablet? No way. Who would have one cell phone agreement with AT&T for iPhone and another with Verizon for Tablet. Apple wouldn't do that.
post #40 of 142
An iPhone on the Verizon network would sure get at least one sale, MINE! Oh please please please make it so!
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Verizon preparing for possible arrival of iPhone in 2010 - report