or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Verizon preparing for possible arrival of iPhone in 2010 - report

Verizon preparing for possible arrival of iPhone in 2010 - report - Page 2

post #41 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

That's the beauty of "journalism". They can speculate out their ass and declare themselves credible and ethical in their bs speculation.

there. fixed that for you.
post #42 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

Yes, how could the Apple Store staff possibly handle the jump from 5 SKU's to 10? They'd probably need months of intense training for such a massive increase in available items.

More like a jump from 700 SKUs to 705. It may be shocking to some, but Apple Stores sell more than phones!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsad23 View Post

I do not think they would have approached anyone without the capable hardware ready.

I recall an interview with an ATT exec at the time the iPhone was released that ATT signed on sight-unseen. That even they didn't see the iPhone until mere weeks before it was unveiled. Whether Apple had a working prototype at the time is unknown, but it sounds like it wasn't demonstrated to ATT at the time the deal was struck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon View Post

I don't know if a hardware upgrade is needed or just a software upgrade would make it work.

The updated spec to allow CDMA to support simultaneous voice/data was approved earlier this year. It requires an upgrade to the towers (and phones designed to support it), but according to the CDMA Development Group it's an "economical" upgrade.

Quote:
The next step would be to move to 1X Advanced, which is a simple channel card upgrade (expected to be commercial in the second half of 2010) with new devices supporting mobile receive diversity, enabling them to more than double voice capacity immediately after the channel upgrade.

A complementary device enhancement known as simultaneous 1X Voice and EV-DO Data (SVDO) will also become available during the same timeframe and will enable CDMA2000 devices to access EV-DO packet data services while in an active 1X circuit-switch voice call.

http://www.cdg.org/news/press/2009/aug17_09.asp
post #43 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsyedinak View Post

You know I have had this thought in the back of my mind several times in the past - good thinking. I think it is very possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

This is the most compelling rumour on this subject I've read and it still doesn't sound very likely. I think your statement makes the most sense, especially considering the lack of simultaneous voice and data.

Perhaps, but it seems no more likely to me than Verizon investing in expanded network capacity on the speculation that Apple might allow them to sell the iPhone some day. If this is what Verizon is saying publicly, then I don't believe the story, and I'm looking for another reason. The only alternative explanation I can think of is the tablet. Also, at this point, I can't see Apple wanting to put a whole new class of wireless devices on AT&T's already strained data network.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #44 of 142
Verizon's network is yet to be tested. I believe that Verizon already knows that it will be years before they get the iPhone.....so this promise of being ready now is simply a smoke screen. What they promise today will never be proven to be true...it's a marketing response.

How can Verizon's network be 'ready' when they could only max out at 1.4Mb? At least AT&T has 3.2Mb and are going to 7.2Mb. AT&T can also offload some of their traffic to free wireless hot spots.

This comment was carefully crafted and timed to prevent some it's core users from defecting.
post #45 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rind View Post

If VZW get's the iPhone and Has Rollover minutes , then I would consider it.

AT&T service is great in my area so dont care what happens with Verizon.

The is a crux of this argument in my mind. To me who your cell phone company it really depends on the coverage in your local area. That is why I wish their was no network exclusivity for cells phones at all. Hopefully Congress will get involved in this argument and help consumers for once.

Mac Pro Dual 2.8 Quad (2nd gen), 14G Ram, Two DVD-RW Drives, OS X 10.9
Mac Book Pro Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, SuperDrive, ATI X1600, 2GB RAM, OS X 10.7
1TB Time Capsule

Mac Pro Dual 2.8 Quad (2nd gen), 14G Ram, Two DVD-RW Drives, OS X 10.9
Mac Book Pro Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, SuperDrive, ATI X1600, 2GB RAM, OS X 10.7
1TB Time Capsule

post #46 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerARSgm View Post

Who would have one cell phone agreement with AT&T for iPhone and another with Verizon for Tablet. Apple wouldn't do that.

Why not?

Does Apple source all of their electronic components, hard disks, memory, etc. from a single vendor? Do they only license their music from one label? Movies from only one studio?

If there is a significant financial incentive to cut multiple carrier agreements, even with rivals, there's little reason not to.
post #47 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsad23 View Post

Apple spent years blasting Intel in favor of ppc chips...now they are "foolishly" selling 3 mil. intel macs a quater

Telecommunications and CPUs aren't comparable markets.

Let me know when 4 major CPU makers are available for me to choose from for my Mac or PC.

What? It doesn't exist? Imagine that.
post #48 of 142
Quote:

Let me know when 4 major CPU makers are available for me to choose from for my Mac or PC.

if i recall correctly, there were 4 major processor makers during the time period of the PPC chips

IBM/Apple/Motorola - PPC chip
AMD
Intel
Cyrix ( now VIA and they do not make CPUs anymore )

so really at one point, they were the same.
post #49 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Verizon has definitely been better at buiding out it's network than ATT. I'm sure they've taken this time to learn from ATT's failures.

I'm sure Verizon has taken this time instead to broaden their slow 3G coverage. Verizon is giving clear signals that it is incapable of handling the iPhone and it may be up to a year until its network can handle a significant fraction of the iPhone traffic. That's what Verizon has learned... along with what an incredible platform the iPhone is.
post #50 of 142
Quote:

They aren't comparable at all --- but it makes the argument even worst.

It's Verizon that is spending billions of dollars on their cell phone networks --- vs --- Apple spending tens of dollars on a cell phone chip on each iphone.

And all the cell phone chips --- whether they be CDMA or GSM --- have an ARM core. Apple doesn't have to rewrite any of their codes to run on a Qualcomm chipset.
post #51 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

So I guess the Droid isn't challenging their network then? Is this a tacit admission that it's not the big deal that was hyped a month ago? (Just like the Palm Pre earlier in the year?)

Compared to the millions of iPhones on AT&T's network, Verizon should have an easy time supporting the few Druids sold. Verizon will never have trouble supporting the Druid, because a year from now, the Druid will probably still not be selling as fast as the iPhone and it will be obsolete with demand for it waning. LTE will be all the rage.
post #52 of 142
I still have doubts about Verizon getting the iPhone anytime soon because of their bad, negative, anti-iPhones ad, and their v-cast. I just believe Verizon is totally jealous of AT&T and the exclusiveity. I still have doubts about AT&T losing it's contrtact.(Well kinda.) But then again, I also have doubts about AT&T holding the iPhone this upcoming year. Sprint and T-Mobile are both higher pottentials, why? Because there are many many reasons, But it's all a matter of time before we find out what will happen with Apple 2010, I have feelings great things will happen.(Just not verizon at the moment.)
post #53 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by vercordio View Post

Nothing we didn't already know: Verizon would be more than happy to carry the iPhone, but no idea what Apple's plans are.

What? The Verizon network isn't ready for the iPhone as-is? How could this be possible? I mean, so many post here said that it already was.
post #54 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

Verizon's network is yet to be tested. I believe that Verizon already knows that it will be years before they get the iPhone.....so this promise of being ready now is simply a smoke screen. What they promise today will never be proven to be true...it's a marketing response.

How can Verizon's network be 'ready' when they could only max out at 1.4Mb? At least AT&T has 3.2Mb and are going to 7.2Mb. AT&T can also offload some of their traffic to free wireless hot spots.

This comment was carefully crafted and timed to prevent some it's core users from defecting.

Like I've said all along, Verizon has been thanking their lucky stars that they didn't get the original exclusive agreement to carry the iPhone. They are more than glad for AT&T to take the heat for the issues created by the resultant unprecedented wireless data growth, issues Verizon still wouldn't be able to handle.
post #55 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorotea View Post

We really don't know how well Verizon will actually do.

We really don't know what will happen next week or even tomorrow on anything in life. However, based off how a company has performed in the past and today one can draw conclusions on how they will perform in the future. Past and current Verizon has performed relatively well with little to no major user or network complaints and has a reasonably good reputation. ATT based on their past and current has not performed very well and has a semi-bad reputation. With those two beliefs and facts one could guess and assume Verizon is best prepared to handle iPhone traffic better than ATT.

Is that fair enough for you to agree or do we need to call in Kreskin?

:td.
post #56 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

There are no technical or economic barriers to getting an iPhone on Verizon. The only thing preventing it from happening is the two companies agreeing to do it. Everything else is trivial.

Maybe, maybe not.

All reports seem to suggest that the iPhone is selling very well and Apple is just keeping up with demand. Based on that, I think it is highly unlikely that Apple would try and split production between different models of iPhones that work on different networks. Especially considering that CDMA is a US only, one carrier deal.

So that leaves the option of making one iPhone that would work on both networks. This is a possibility but I don't think Apple will do it. Apple is extremely cost conscious these days and a dual mode iPhone would be more expensive to produce. Even if some new chip is developed that can handle both networks, that chip will still be more expensive than a chip that just handles one. Not only to produce, but more expensive to engineer and support. Apple would incur that cost on every phone it makes not just the ones sold on Verizon's network. If they wait for LTE, such a phone would work on both AT&T and Verizon, plus others, once those networks are more deployed in 2011 or 2012.

But OK, lets say Apple is willing to make a dual mode phone to get iPhone on Verizon. Then we are back to the production issue. In all these rumors one thing I have not heard is one about Apple significantly increasing its iPhone production capability. If they do open up to Verizon, they will need to produce A LOT more phones. I am not convinced they can do this at this time.

The one wild card would be AT&T demand. If Apple thinks demand from AT&T is falling off or would fall off if the iPhone were available on Verizon. That might free up some production to handle the extra demand.

Finally, there is AT&T. If the iPhone is as important to AT&T as everyone thinks it is, they may be willing to cut Apple a very lucrative deal to keep the iPhone exclusive for another year.

Oh yeah, lets not forget about Steve Jobs hissy fits. The new Verizon ads not only attack AT&T but also the iPhone directly. I can't imagine that sits well with him and there have been several well documented cases (remember the ATI leak/Macworld debacle) where a vendor pissed off Steve and he took his anger out on them. As far as any cooling relations between AT&T and Apple go, don't believe it. That is careful PR on Apple's part because it directs customer frustration away from Apple and towards AT&T. This keeps the tribe happy with Apple which is very important to them.

I am guessing AT&T will keep their iPhone exclusivity until 2011. Possibly, 2012.

-kpluck

Do you use MagicJack?

The default settings will automatically charge your credit card each year for service renewal. You will not be notified or warned in anyway. You can turn auto renewal off.

Do you use MagicJack?

The default settings will automatically charge your credit card each year for service renewal. You will not be notified or warned in anyway. You can turn auto renewal off.

post #57 of 142
Remember folks.....it's not AT&T forcing this exclusivity.....it's Apple who is in charge. Apple can very well choose/add another carrier if they want to. All AT&T is doing is saying "yes". Imagine if they had said "no" like Verizon....the iPhone would not be here at all (or would be even dying more on Sprint's or T-Mobile's network).
post #58 of 142
they been saying this for 2 years. what's so different about this articale?
post #59 of 142
Apple's going to make Verizon pay through the nose if they want the iPhone. It was only two weeks ago when Verizon attacked the iPhone as a "digitally clueless beauty queen."
post #60 of 142
I'm suprised that most people are starting to gang up on Verizon. Little by little,..
post #61 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexhasfun28 View Post

I'm suprised that most people are starting to gang up on Verizon. Little by little,..

Only because Verizon is seen as fighting against Apple. It's the same way people on this forum have started attacking Google now that they've started to compete with Apple. Heaven forbid someone not bow to Apple's will.
post #62 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightstriker View Post

they been saying this for 2 years. what's so different about this articale?

spellticale
whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #63 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep View Post

spellticale

Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #64 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Perhaps, but it seems no more likely to me than Verizon investing in expanded network capacity on the speculation that Apple might allow them to sell the iPhone some day. If this is what Verizon is saying publicly, then I don't believe the story, and I'm looking for another reason. The only alternative explanation I can think of is the tablet.

I dont buy this reasoning from Verizon and I really dont think there is a strong possibility of them getting any Apple device, yet if there is one your idea seems best. This seems like just a simple yet effective strategic maneuver.

Do we really know if they are investing any extra in their network or if any upgrades are merely from a standpoint of increased browser-and-app-heavy smartphone growth they expect for 2010?

I think its a smart marketing move to suggest that theyre beefing up their network just in case Apple lets them sell the iPhone. It makes Verizon look proactive while making AT&T look even worse while having a secondary effect of keeping potential jumpers from going to AT&T for the iPhone despite not actually stating theyre getting the iPhone. Sun Tzu and P.T. Barnum would be proud.
post #65 of 142
No way and no how. The rumors have been going on for over two years now and they have been idiotic from the start. Not going to happen. Unless I am the Captain of the Titanic - No WAY this is going to happen.

1. Verizon does not have a GSM network. I just do not see Apple sacrificing their margin to produce two different phones in the US market. Apple plays in the 34% margin business - and is not interested in shilling commodities. Verizon makes huge margins on other peoples mobile phones - Apple simply would never play that game and give up their product to help Verizon make billions.

2. New dual chip technology costs too much at a time when the iPhone. Apple needs to continue to reduce product costs not increase them. Higher chip costs plus a huge licensing fee to QualComm?

3. T Mobile.

Lets just not Google Google on our iPhones
Science and technology multiply around us. To an increasing extent they dictate the languages in which we speak and think. Either we use those languages, or we remain mute.
J G Ballard
Science and technology multiply around us. To an increasing extent they dictate the languages in which we speak and think. Either we use those languages, or we remain mute.
J G Ballard
post #66 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Not sure but if Apple took the iPhone to Verizon, it would also solve two problems.
1) Allow Verizon customers to get the iPhone.
2) AT&T bandwidth issues would improve since many people would switch to Verizon.

WIN-WIN

Well, thats assuming AT&T cares more about delivering a quality service than about making as much money as possible. As a former employee, its not the case. AT&T would rather make the extra money, even if it means their customers get a worse service.

Of course you could add a third WIN in if all the AT&T customers switched to Verizon. Then they win too.

Disclaimer - Not that verizon if that much (if at all) better than AT&T, they all suck, but AT&T has been incredibly scumming in the last couple years... and they need to drop a few pegs.
post #67 of 142
Quote:

Your comments are so carefully crafted that it missed the whole point.

Verizon's network is 3.1 mbps max and 600-1400 kbps average.

AT&T's network is 3.6 mbps max and 700-1700 kbps average.

Verizon's network can be offloaded by adding tiny 1.5 mhz channels when there is a lot of data traffic.
post #68 of 142
Quote:

Bingo. Easy to promise the world when you know you won't have to deliver.

So what if the iPhone is the real problem and not AT&T's network, as a recent article was speculating? And what if the next iPhone plugs that gap? Then what is the big V going to have to hang their hat on?
post #69 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by satcomer View Post

That is why I wish their was no network exclusivity for cells phones at all. Hopefully Congress will get involved in this argument and help consumers for once.

Yup, remove all incentive for developing anything truly innovative by legislating a level playing field.

Brilliant
post #70 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

Maybe, maybe not.

All reports seem to suggest that the iPhone is selling very well and Apple is just keeping up with demand. Based on that, I think it is highly unlikely that Apple would try and split production between different models of iPhones that work on different networks. Especially considering that CDMA is a US only, one carrier deal.

So that leaves the option of making one iPhone that would work on both networks. This is a possibility but I don't think Apple will do it. Apple is extremely cost conscious these days and a dual mode iPhone would be more expensive to produce. Even if some new chip is developed that can handle both networks, that chip will still be more expensive than a chip that just handles one. Not only to produce, but more expensive to engineer and support. Apple would incur that cost on every phone it makes not just the ones sold on Verizon's network. If they wait for LTE, such a phone would work on both AT&T and Verizon, plus others, once those networks are more deployed in 2011 or 2012.

But OK, lets say Apple is willing to make a dual mode phone to get iPhone on Verizon. Then we are back to the production issue. In all these rumors one thing I have not heard is one about Apple significantly increasing its iPhone production capability. If they do open up to Verizon, they will need to produce A LOT more phones. I am not convinced they can do this at this time.

The one wild card would be AT&T demand. If Apple thinks demand from AT&T is falling off or would fall off if the iPhone were available on Verizon. That might free up some production to handle the extra demand.

Finally, there is AT&T. If the iPhone is as important to AT&T as everyone thinks it is, they may be willing to cut Apple a very lucrative deal to keep the iPhone exclusive for another year.

Oh yeah, lets not forget about Steve Jobs hissy fits. The new Verizon ads not only attack AT&T but also the iPhone directly. I can't imagine that sits well with him and there have been several well documented cases (remember the ATI leak/Macworld debacle) where a vendor pissed off Steve and he took his anger out on them. As far as any cooling relations between AT&T and Apple go, don't believe it. That is careful PR on Apple's part because it directs customer frustration away from Apple and towards AT&T. This keeps the tribe happy with Apple which is very important to them.

I am guessing AT&T will keep their iPhone exclusivity until 2011. Possibly, 2012.

-kpluck

For starters CDMA is not a one carrier thing. Sprint uses it and so does Metro PCS and there are many countries other than the US with CDMA networks. One of them being China. Phones with dual CDMA and GSM radios already exist. VZW has 6 "world phones" that can really be used worldwide. That CDMA/GSM chipset can be easily modified to fit within the iPhone at either a nominal cost increase if any.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #71 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Yup, remove all incentive for developing anything truly innovative by legislating a level playing field.

Brilliant

Actually innovation would probably go thru the roof. Exclusivity benefits the carrier most. Look at how many customers ATT has gotten because of the iPhone. If the iPhone were available on all the networks it would force the other makers to up their game in turn making Apple up theirs. Phones here in the states are still yrs behind in what they can do overseas. We would be at their level if the playing field were even.
post #72 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

. Past and current Verizon has performed relatively well with little to no major user or network complaints and has a reasonably good reputation.

...that it got by restricting the hell out of their phones. And even though the droid is open (esp. by Verizon standards) it's selling at a fraction of the volume of the iPhone.

Yup, that's conclusive proof

Quote:
ATT based on their past and current has not performed very well and has a semi-bad reputation.

And one that I find is often completely overblown. I can understand San Francisco and New York users (although on some recent tech podcasts some of the participants (seemingly grudgingly) admitted AT&T was improved and pretty much normal.

There is no perfect cellular company, but there is perfect advertising and perverse brand loyalty to a company that, if you want to talk real past performance, has historically abused it's customers far more then any other.

You would have NEVER gotten a phone like the droid on V with out the iPhone. Just think about that for a moment.

Quote:
With those two beliefs

Aha...

Quote:
and facts

What facts?

Quote:
one could guess and assume Verizon is best prepared to handle iPhone traffic better than ATT.

No you can't because it's still a supposition. You can assume all you wan't, but until V has a phone as successful as the iPhone that has network usage comparable to the iPhone, it's so much marketing BS (which Verizon and their sycophants excel at)

Quote:
Is that fair enough for you to agree or do we need to call in Kreskin?

Kreskin would probably be more accurate then any speculation in this thread.

Personally? I don't think Verizon is getting the iPhone any time soon. AT&T has a significant amount of upgrades in the pipeline and I think V has probably pissed Steve off pretty thoroughly at this point. AT&T is gaining on V solely because of the iPhone, and I imagine even with the "curse" of the iPhone they are fighting mightily to keep it as an exclusive. If AT&T can roll out their 800 MHz upgrades and Apple can deliver a significant refresh in June, all the whining about Verizion will begin to fade.

Some If's but I think they are less far fetched then hoping for a 2010 iPhone on Verizon.
post #73 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I don’t buy this reasoning from Verizon and I really don’t think there is a strong possibility of them getting any Apple device, yet if there is one your idea seems best. This seems like just a simple yet effective strategic maneuver.

Do we really know if they are investing any extra in their network or if any upgrades are merely from a standpoint of increased browser-and-app-heavy smartphone growth they expect for 2010?

I think it’s a smart marketing move to suggest that they’re beefing up their network just in case Apple lets them sell the iPhone. It makes Verizon look proactive while making AT&T look even worse while having a secondary effect of keeping potential jumpers from going to AT&T for the iPhone despite not actually stating they’re getting the iPhone. Sun Tzu and P.T. Barnum would be proud.

That seems like plausible reasoning too, but even within this context, the Verizon guy saying, "We will handle it if we ever get it," seems a bit strange.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #74 of 142
Actually the iPhone has helped break carrier control over the phone manufacturers. Before the iPhone the carriers had the ability to dictate everything about the phones and their functionality. The iPhone is the first phone to break that trend. If the iPhone had been sold to all carriers it would have just been another phone that carriers controlled.

Seeing as four of the largest phone manufacturers in the world reside in North America, what exactly can phones do overseas that phones in the US cannot do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Actually innovation would probably go thru the roof. Exclusivity benefits the carrier most. Look at how many customers ATT has gotten because of the iPhone. If the iPhone were available on all the networks it would force the other makers to up their game in turn making Apple up theirs. Phones here in the states are still yrs behind in what they can do overseas. We would be at their level if the playing field were even.
post #75 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

I understand perfectly well the differences between the networks. But those technical differences would be TRIVIAL for Apple to deal with (every other phone maker somehow manages to accomplish this), and therefore that is not a barrier. Apple makes enough iPhones that using part of their capacity to make a CDMA phone would in no way affect their economy of scale. Note that Apple makes a special version of the iPhone for China, and look how small that market is turning out to be. Apple is also maintaining the previous 3G production lines in order to continue making the 8 GB version of the iPhone after the 3GS came out. With the next update to the iPhone, simply switch those lines over to making CDMA phones. That would be no more difficult than updating that line to make the next gen ATT iPhone.

As for maintaining stock...how would that be any different if Apple started offering the iPhone on another GSM carrier in the US (ie, Tmobile)? You'd still be maintaining separate stock, some with ATT SIM cards and some with Tmobile SIM cards.

The ONLY barrier is Apple and Verizon deciding to do it. If/when they made that decision, everything else would be relatively easy in the grand scheme of things.

IMO all the above in wrong.

First - Completely wrong on the analysis in China. the issue in China is the government not allowing mobile phones with WiFi plus 2 million gray market iPhones with WiFi. In addition the government owned network has set the price of the phone far too high for the market that continues to import gray market iPhones for less with more features users want.

Second - Completely wrong about Apple's strategy with the iPhone. Apple does not want the iPhone to become a commodity like the Droid - where the network provider makes the majority of the margin and the manufacturer just pumps out millions of devices with razor thin margins. It does impact economy of scale in addition to paying additional licensing fees to QualCom.

The one thing above that is half right is that the barrier is Apple.

It is not about Verizon - it is about Apple. Apple does not need to help Verizon make billions off the iPhone. Apple needs to protect its own margins and remain a premium player and not let the iPhone become the PC of the mobile phone market.
J G Ballard
J G Ballard
post #76 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by samab View Post

Your comments are so carefully crafted that it missed the whole point.

Verizon's network is 3.1 mbps max and 600-1400 kbps average.

AT&T's network is 3.6 mbps max and 700-1700 kbps average.

Verizon's network can be offloaded by adding tiny 1.5 mhz channels when there is a lot of data traffic.

Verizon does not get above 1 mbps average.
AT&T gets 2.5 mbps average.
Verizon is stuck at less than 1 mbps average for at least two years.
AT&T is moving to over 7 mbps in 2010 - it is already there in 30 cities.
J G Ballard
J G Ballard
post #77 of 142
You know im kind of getting annoyed seeing people on here say Verizon is bashing the iphone. VZW has NOT based the iphone..the "iphone bashing" commercials are for the Droid and PAID by Motorola. VZW's logo appears because guess what? the PHONE is ONLY on VZW. The only way VZW has mentioned the iphone is with the "map for that" and "island of misfit toys" to which they are showing Apple they need to come to VZW.

Why is it you guys are so anti VZW? Because it cant make "Data and voice" simultaneously? VZW cant "talk and browse" at the same time,but you can sure as hell talk AND text at the same time. so what more do you need? you guys act like EVERYONE is watching a youtube video and talking to their friend at the same time. It's a luxury NOT a necessity. Talk and text is 100% fine with me until LTE is up and running, be it Q4 2010 or 2011. Apple will have made a phone for LTE by then anyway,so why cant they cash in for 1-2 years on a CDMA phone? and why does Apple have to only go to VZW? why cant they join multiple networks? As has been said before CDMA or GSM whichever they choose with the right amount given to them they will make.

I for one hope they DO go to VZW AND/OR T-Mobile. That will benefit ALL. VZW will NOT incur an "overload" as you all hope they do. People will stay with ATT,some may go, who knows, but what happened to ATT's network wont happen to VZW because its not like all the iphone subscribers will be running to them. As some of you have pointed out you are satisfied with it. So be it.

Bring on the iphone in 2010, I'm hopeful that it finds MULTIPLE new homes with NO Exclusivity agreement.
post #78 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripAcez View Post

You know im kind of getting annoyed seeing people on here say Verizon is bashing the iphone. VZW has NOT based the iphone..the "iphone bashing" commercials are for the Droid and PAID by Motorola. VZW's logo appears because guess what? the PHONE is ONLY on VZW. The only way VZW has mentioned the iphone is with the "map for that" and "island of misfit toys" to which they are showing Apple they need to come to VZW.

Why is it you guys are so anti VZW? Because it cant make "Data and voice" simultaneously? VZW cant "talk and browse" at the same time,but you can sure as hell talk AND text at the same time. so what more do you need? you guys act like EVERYONE is watching a youtube video and talking to their friend at the same time. It's a luxury NOT a necessity. Talk and text is 100% fine with me until LTE is up and running, be it Q4 2010 or 2011. Apple will have made a phone for LTE by then anyway,so why cant they cash in for 1-2 years on a CDMA phone? and why does Apple have to only go to VZW? why cant they join multiple networks? As has been said before CDMA or GSM whichever they choose with the right amount given to them they will make.

I for one hope they DO go to VZW AND/OR T-Mobile. That will benefit ALL. VZW will NOT incur an "overload" as you all hope they do. People will stay with ATT,some may go, who knows, but what happened to ATT's network wont happen to VZW because its not like all the iphone subscribers will be running to them. As some of you have pointed out you are satisfied with it. So be it.

Bring on the iphone in 2010, I'm hopeful that it finds MULTIPLE new homes with NO Exclusivity agreement.

The adds are actually Verizon ads. Verizon spent hundreds of millions building up to the launch of Droid. Verizon is the one making the money on Droid sales - much more than Motorola. Verizon has been stung by defection of premium purchases to the iPhone. Verizon is an extremely well run company and very well positioned to continue to dominate the mobile market in the US. They are responding to competition in the premium segment. They do not have the product yet to match the iPhone but they can sure package it nice and turn around their image as carrier with innovative devices of its' own.
J G Ballard
J G Ballard
post #79 of 142
Apple shouldn't! Verizon is evil, they bashed the iPhone in a series of ads and don't deserve to carry it.

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

post #80 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

Only because Verizon is seen as fighting against Apple.

How about because Verizon historically has been the most abusive and restrictive of all carriers and only now is feigning any kind of customer choice because they have to? I mean their blackberry models didn't start sporting WiFi until a year or so ago!

How quickly people develop selective memory.

The entire tech punditry has ganged up on the iPhone - mostly because most of them are either in the Bay Area or NYC where there concentration of users caused abnormal network loading issues not seen in the rest of the country. But the "digerati" were quick to pile on AT&T as you put it. If AT&T were truly as bad as is fussed about, it wouldn't matter how good the iPhone was, it wouldn't have blockbuster sales three years in a row with industry topping customer satisfaction.

I've been in... 7 states now with my iPhone, and other then a few more dropped calls then I got on sprint (less then a handful) I have had just as good as coverage as sprint. And Verizon would be a step back for me as they don't even work at my house (changed my Verizon BB to AT&T to get coverage). It all depends on where you are. My friends parent's house none of the big three work - you have to go one town over near a state park where the only cell phone tower is.

Just like Verizon's current focus on "3G" - it's a marketing term. It has no relation to actual performance. Color that map to show the Verizon "3G" that is faster then AT&T's edge network and it would be quite different - and not nearly as exciting ad copy.

LIke megapixels in a digital camera where the raw number of pixels on it's own has little to do with the quality of the picture recorded by the camera the whole "3G" thing is blown way out of proportion. I don't blame Verizon for doing it, after all "the network" is the only compelling differentiator they have. They better enjoy it while it lasts - AT&T is building out, and if they can even the field then it's all over. Seems like they are making progress in the Bay Area
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Verizon preparing for possible arrival of iPhone in 2010 - report