or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Psystar lawyer claims company not shutting down permanently
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Psystar lawyer claims company not shutting down permanently

post #1 of 123
Thread Starter 
Contrary to previous reports that Mac clone maker Psystar would be closing its doors following its Thursday loss in court, lawyers for the company said the company will not be shutting down for good.

In a reversal of of a report Thursday by the Dow Jones Newswire that Psystar was to cease doing business, a lawyer for the company stated that it has no plans to permanently close its doors.

Computerworld reports that Psystar's lawyer K.A.D. Camara, of the Houston, Texas law firm Camara & Sibley LLP, stated that the stories of the company's imminent closure were based on another lawyer's misquoted responses to questions about the company's future. Attorney Eugene Action was quoted Thursday in the Dow Jones Newswire story saying Psystar "will not be in business," and the company would be "shutting things down immediately."

It was reported Thursday that Psystar would be shutting down in the wake of a devastating loss in court that resulted in a permanent injunction against the company, banning it from selling hardware running hacked versions of Apple's OS X operating system.

This ruling did not specifically ban the sale of Psystar's Rebel EFI software, an application that allows Intel-powered PCs to run Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, and as of Saturday night the company's website lists the software a being out of stock.

Earlier this month, Psystar and Apple reached a partial settlement in which the company agreed to pay $2.7 million in damages. Apple originally filed suit against Psystar in July of 2008 due to the Florida company's selling of unauthorized machines with the operating system installed.
post #2 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


In a reversal of of a report Thursday by the Dow Jones Newswire that Psystar was to cease doing business, a lawyer for the company stated that it has no plans to permanently close its doors.

Just like an old, wet, stinky, nasty dog, they keep coming back and they won't go away. Go ahead Psystar, sell Rebel EFI all you want. Get sued into oblivion. After selling only 800 units, can't you take a hint? Nobody wants you.
post #3 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranky View Post

Just like an old, wet, stinky, nasty dog, they keep coming back and they won't go away. Go ahead Psystar, sell Rebel EFI all you want. Get sued into oblivion. After selling only 800 units, can't you take a hint? Nobody wants you.

Don't worry, they will die. There is no way they produce enough income to stay afloat, that is unless he works out of mommy's basement.

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply
post #4 of 123
I wonder if "K.A.D. Camara, of the Houston, Texas law firm Camara & Sibley LLP" goes by the nickname of CAD/CAM. If not, he should. That law firm should be really proud of itself for its handling of this case. All publicity is good publicity?
post #5 of 123
Someone please post how to get around the activation codes for this. Sure, it probably says somewhere on the ELUA that you have to purchase this from Psystar, but could they really care much about that?

(And kidding about getting around it, chameleon works great, but I prefer to run OS X on my macbook pro.
post #6 of 123
If they keep going without visible means of support (==sales) then follow the money.

It's not hard.

Follow the money.
post #7 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

Don't worry, they will die. There is no way they produce enough income to stay afloat, that is unless he works out of mommy's basement.

If those in the know know where to go and get it free. These same also see the upside potential of an 6 low powered cloned overcocked till Tuesday know this machine will give almost twice the oerfomsnce of a real mac, you're right.
However. Of this was not free and was hard to do, then I would beg to differ.

I have posts somewhere on here saying someday they will/ would be hacked. Same chip. Besides. Those that flip for the real deal is probably larger then the AI story on iPod to iPhone switchers. Anither thing I see avlot of thoses doing are getting thesectiny netbooks and flipping to osx.

Peace.
post #8 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by malax View Post

I wonder if "K.A.D. Camara, of the Houston, Texas law firm Camara & Sibley LLP" goes by the nickname of CAD/CAM. If not, he should. That law firm should be really proud of itself for its handling of this case. All publicity is good publicity?

K.A.D. Camara is a young, super-bright and super egotistical lawyer who hates losing....look at his bio, really impressive. I'm wondering if the owner of Psystar really wants to continue with the fight....I think from here on out, its all K.A.D. Camara's ego at work. I hope Apple eats his lunch in Florida and permanently shuts-down Psystar. It would be a nice stain on K.A.D. Camara's resume. His ego needs to be put in check.
post #9 of 123
It sounds like Darl McBride has found a new company to run. I knew he wouldn't stay retired for long.
post #10 of 123
These guys are like cockroaches they just don't go away ...
..oh yeah and like cockroaches they also spew crap from their mouths too
post #11 of 123
Of course they aren't stupid enough to shut down. They have a company with world-wide press and recognition. "Even bad publicity is good publicity". That isn't easy to reproduce.

And as far as their situation in the first place, I honestly wish the ruling had gone the other way. The one thing we as consumers need, is for Apple to get some direct competition. As of now, they have none. Psystar had blu-ray drives in their systems well over a year ago. If they were able to legally continue, Apple would have no choice but to increase their pace or risk losing some revenue.

Without competition we end up with slow, less-than-modest updates, at higher-than-average prices. Sounds a little like the situation we've been in for some time, doesn't it?
post #12 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Madcapper View Post

Of course they aren't stupid enough to shut down. They have a company with world-wide press and recognition. "Even bad publicity is good publicity". That isn't easy to reproduce.

And as far as their situation in the first place, I honestly wish the ruling had gone the other way. The one thing we as consumers need, is for Apple to get some direct competition. As of now, they have none. Psystar had blu-ray drives in their systems well over a year ago. If they were able to legally continue, Apple would have no choice but to increase their pace or risk losing some revenue.

Without competition we end up with slow, less-than-modest updates, at higher-than-average prices. Sounds a little like the situation we've been in for some time, doesn't it?

There is competition it is called Dell, HP, Sony, Acer, Asus, Toshiba, ...

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

Reply

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

Reply
post #13 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Madcapper View Post

Of course they aren't stupid enough to shut down. They have a company with world-wide press and recognition. "Even bad publicity is good publicity". That isn't easy to reproduce.

And as far as their situation in the first place, I honestly wish the ruling had gone the other way. The one thing we as consumers need, is for Apple to get some direct competition. As of now, they have none. Psystar had blu-ray drives in their systems well over a year ago. If they were able to legally continue, Apple would have no choice but to increase their pace or risk losing some revenue.

Without competition we end up with slow, less-than-modest updates, at higher-than-average prices. Sounds a little like the situation we've been in for some time, doesn't it?

Besides the competition that Azimov stated, nothing Psystar did make sense to argue as being competition. You can install internal and external Blu-ray drives on Macs if you wish, they only sold about 800 known machines which doesnt exactly make them a competitor to anyone; they have less PC options than Apple, and, perhaps most importantly, there is no way they could have succeeded even if they won the lawsuit.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #14 of 123
It smells like someone is funding them. If I were to guess, Dell, which would have the most to gain from a generic intel that run a better OS than dell can currently offer with MS. You gotta feel sorry for any PC maker, given that no one would buy their machines if the prices were the same as macs, so they have to compete on price alone; do the numbers: $50 profit for each machine X 10 million/quarter vs $400 profit for 3 million boxes per quarter

you do wonder where the money trail ends

It's just businessGalaxar out
post #15 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Madcapper View Post

Of course they aren't stupid enough to shut down. They have a company with world-wide press and recognition. "Even bad publicity is good publicity". That isn't easy to reproduce.

And as far as their situation in the first place, I honestly wish the ruling had gone the other way. The one thing we as consumers need, is for Apple to get some direct competition. As of now, they have none. Psystar had blu-ray drives in their systems well over a year ago. If they were able to legally continue, Apple would have no choice but to increase their pace or risk losing some revenue.

Without competition we end up with slow, less-than-modest updates, at higher-than-average prices. Sounds a little like the situation we've been in for some time, doesn't it?

Not sure what PC market you are watching, but there is more than enough competition against Apple. This sounds like Teckstud rumble, with concern to blu-ray comment. I still not convinced blu-ray will take off and especially in India, where blu-ray is non-existent.

P.S. What has happened to Teckstud, I do not see his rumble of off the wall comments, has he been banned and why has all his posts been removed? Interesting such steps what be taken.
post #16 of 123
I think this just means that the lawyers are trying to keep the ship afloat a little longer so they can attend to the further lawsuit in Florida and their appeals. That's all it sounds like. In any case, it won't make any difference.

What were they thinking going against Apple with such clearly defined rights and usage rules with the Mac OS?
post #17 of 123
I don't know if you have them in the US but the lawyer may be talking about a "Phoenix company"

Strip the assets and start again with a $2 shelf company that is a different legal entity to Psystar.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #18 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

Not sure what PC market you are watching, but there is more than enough competition against Apple. This sounds like Teckstud rumble, with concern to blu-ray comment. I still not convinced blu-ray will take off and especially in India, where blu-ray is non-existent.

P.S. What has happened to Teckstud, I do not see his rumble of off the wall comments, has he been banned and why has all his posts been removed? Interesting such steps what be taken.

Blu-ray is the optical media format for the future, likely the last one well see, though likely not the last HW based format well see. Despite its growth against DVD (just saw a Blu-ray player today for $110), Blu-ray does seem to be losing out to digital downloads from many different fronts. Most of which dont require a new player. This is exactly what I expected would happen.

DVD simply never had to deal with this ultra-convenient competitor and didnt have people happy with good enough quality of up-converting DVDs and even the quality one can get from Hulu and other sites. Hell, even YouTube is starting to offer 1080p, though not nearly in the same realm as Blu-rays A/V quality. They all have their place. I use Blu-ray to iTS, to torrents to newsgroups to Hulu for my TV and Movie viewing needs.


PS: I dont agree with MadCappers conclusion but he far from being Teckstud in his posting style and thought process. I think Teckstud might just be on an extended banning, not not a permanent ban. The posts being removed can be done with a vBulletin setting called Tacjy Goes to Conventy which is simply a global ignore list, where your posts dont even show up at all, unlike the normal ignore list where it shows the name and the post shrunk.

In this state, Teckstud can still post (unless also banned) and mods can see his posts but we wont see him and he wont even know he in Conventry unless he logs out and checks the forum to see he has disappeared.

You know this has happened to someone on a thread when there are more pages listed for the thread than there are posts to fill those pages. You click for the last page yet it keeps bringing you to the 2nd to last page, usually. I have no idea of the use of Tachy (could be a forum member that it was originally used on) but going to Coventry is an old term used for ignoring someone.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #19 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by plovell View Post

If they keep going without visible means of support (==sales) then follow the money.

It's not hard.

Follow the money.

The problem is if the money is paid "under the table" there may be no trail to follow.

A comment in "Raids crack down on counterfeit goods" 12/18/2009 USAToday made me think of another possible source of money for Psystar:

"When a person buys a counterfeit, they're actually supporting organized crime," says Brian Brokate, general counsel of Rolex Watches USA.

While not strictly a counterfeit Psystar's behavior back in Apple 2008 as documented by Richard Koman and Stevie Smith did suggest something shady going on: multiple addresses, Powerpar revoking Psystars account "for three primary reasons: product/services not as represented in application, sales volumes grossly exceeded, no address verification utilized", and supposed maleware on their site.
post #20 of 123
It's obvious what's going on here.


Pystar has chosen this path in selling clones and fighting in court as a publicity campaign to develop a client list for it's Rebel EFI product.

Having one lawyer say "Pystar is closing" then another say "No it's not" is giving any potential client a warning that Pystar is about to go undercover, get on board now.


As you know Rebel EFI needs updates to continue to work with future versions of OS X and with PC's, so a covert client list is needed as these people will have to buy the updates so they can sell OS X clones.

Psytar won't be able to advertise their product in the future, thus giving away their location to Apple.


So Apple has smacked this Pystar mole, but now it's morphed into a zillion pieces and become even more dangerous.


Apple is making mistakes.

1: Not tying OS X to Apple hardware.

2: Ignoring the low end of the PC market

3: Thinking the law is going to protect their sales.


The results are clear.
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
Reply
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
Reply
post #21 of 123
Let's not forget, they now know how and WHY they lost. They now know how to go about this in such a way, as to not be liable next time it's got you wondering doesn't it ???

These folks will be back, and it won't be as easy to rid of them next time.

Skip
post #22 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

It's obvious what's going on here.

Pystar has chosen this path in selling clones and fighting in court as a publicity campaign to develop a client list for it's Rebel EFI product.

Having one lawyer say "Pystar is closing" then another say "No it's not" is giving any potential client a warning that Pystar is about to go undercover, get on board now.

As you know Rebel EFI needs updates to continue to work with future versions of OS X and with PC's, so a covert client list is needed as these people will have to buy the updates so they can sell OS X clones.

Psytar won't be able to advertise their product in the future, thus giving away their location to Apple.

So Apple has smacked this Pystar mole, but now it's morphed into a zillion pieces and become even more dangerous.

By 'a zillion pieces' I assume you mean 'a few hundred Hackintosh enthusiasts who are willing to endure chronic OS update roadblocks and other productivity-draining hassles'. Anyone looking for an alternative to Apple's hardware has an entire galaxy of cheap PC hardware available and this thing called 'Linux' (maybe you've heard of it?) that also happens to be free, as in beer. It's user base is not known for spending a lot of money, unfortunately. But if you're talking instead about the Darwin users who still want that Mac look-and-feel, well, after nearly a decade of existence I don't see their minimal numbers supporting any sort of viable business that has Apple as a legal adversary.

So if the Psystar people really think they have a profitable business plan that relies on a tiny and parsimonious customer base, endless legal troubles, no hope for a working support structure, and zero marketing, hey, I want in on that money-maker!


Quote:
Apple is making mistakes.

1: Not tying OS X to Apple hardware.

You might want to rephrase that. OS X is tied to Apple hardware. Always has been.

Quote:
2: Ignoring the low end of the PC market

You're listing this as a mistake? Do we really need to rehash this failed argument?

Quote:
3: Thinking the law is going to protect their sales.

Again, you're listing this as a mistake? It seems like the law is protecting their sales. I invite you to come up with evidence to the contrary.

Quote:
The results are clear.

You just keep telling yourself that...
post #23 of 123
The court's order does indeed include the Rebel EFI, but not explicitly. If Psystar tries to sell it, they will be in trouble with the court as well as Apple.

As for following the money, we're talking about Miami. I lived there when Castro took over Cuba and we were inundated with Cubans. In the late 50s and early 60s they were all upper middle class and well-to-do doctors, lawyers and such, whose property had been confiscated by the Communists. They weren't boat people. Lots of lawyers meant lots of lawsuits, and that quickly spread to the general population. I later worked as an insurance rater for an automobile insurance company that had to leave the state because of losses in Miami. In Miami, and only Miami, nearly every automobile accident ended up in court, because everyone's brother-in-law's stepson's cousin was a lawyer. This added court fees and damages to the insurance payouts, which didn't happen elsewhere in the state. The result was that auto insurance costs were astronomical in Miami.

I don't think you need to follow the money. It's Miami. That's enough to explain it right there.
post #24 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

There is competition it is called Dell, HP, Sony, Acer, Asus, Toshiba, ...

Oh come on, are you serious? If an average consumer wants a system that can run Mac OSX, arguably the best operating system available, how many choices do they have for hardware?

I get the feeling most people blindly hate Psystar because "it's the cool thing to do", and blindly support Apple because they have yet to realize that behind the veil it's just a cold, heartless money-hungry company like any other.
post #25 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

By 'a zillion pieces' I assume you mean 'a few hundred Hackintosh enthusiasts who are willing to endure chronic OS update roadblocks and other productivity-draining hassles'.


The Hackintosh community doesn't really need Rebel EFI and I'm sure it numbers in the thousands.

Rebel EFI is being licensed to Mac cloners, since Pystar isn't allowed to do it themselves on their hardware, at least not in this country.


Quote:
Anyone looking for an alternative to Apple's hardware has an entire galaxy of cheap PC hardware available and this thing called 'Linux' (maybe you've heard of it?) that also happens to be free, as in beer. It's user base is not known for spending a lot of money, unfortunately.


Actually Dell sells a Mini 10 with Ubuntu Linux and it's selling quite well actually, 10% netbook market share is now Linux.

And I use Ubuntu now in VM Fusion, getting to like it too.

http://www.ubuntu.com/

http://ubuntuforums.org/

http://www.ubuntupocketguide.com/index_main.html


Since my future needs doesn't seem to require the power of a MacBook Pro, just a glorified netbook without needing anti-virus, I'm seriously considering getting one.

There is even a program that can access iPods and manage one's music...

And what's really nice, the pocket guide shows how easy it is to install Ubuntu in a Bootcamp created partition instead of Windows.



Quote:
But if you're talking instead about the Darwin users who still want that Mac look-and-feel, well, after nearly a decade of existence I don't see their minimal numbers supporting any sort of viable business that has Apple as a legal adversary.

So if the Psystar people really think they have a profitable business plan that relies on a tiny and parsimonious customer base, endless legal troubles, no hope for a working support structure, and zero marketing, hey, I want in on that money-maker!


Not so tiny if you consider the numbers in China.



Quote:
You might want to rephrase that. OS X is tied to Apple hardware. Always has been.


That was the case when OS X was on PPC processors, now Apple uses Intel processors like PC's use.

OS X is only tied to Apple hardware legally, and you see with Pystar and the dozens of other cloners around the world how much credit that is given.



Quote:
You're listing this as a mistake? Do we really need to rehash this failed argument?

Yes I know the low end's margins are not great, but Apple does command the low end of the portable music market and why? Because it threatens iTunes and the higher margin iPod products.

Mac cloners threaten the low end of Mac sales, once people see and get used to OS X (and all the good programs) running on any PC. It's a no brainer.


Quote:
Again, you're listing this as a mistake? It seems like the law is protecting their sales. I invite you to come up with evidence to the contrary.

Laws only work for companies operating upfront. Laws are different and some not even enforced in other countries. Some are simply ignored by companies themselves.

For instance China, Apple is selling tons of iPhones (with WiFi) for the black market when the Chinese government wants Apple selling Wifi-less iPhones.

So Apple is basically breaking Chinese law, by allowing it to occur.

Heck I've seen Chinese nationals buying dozens of iPhones in American based Apple Stores with Bank of China credit cards.


So it's stupid of Apple to just assume that OS X won't be pirated to run on PC's and their terms of use or whatever really has any backbone what so ever.

If Apple really didn't want OS X run on anything but their hardware, they would have made it so with a REAL hardware tie in. To the point that OS X couldn't be profitably run on PC's without a huge investment in rewriting of the code.

But since Mac's are now just Intel PC's like all other computers, even sporting a SD slot, running Windows and even Linux, there is no reason with OS X the vise versa should occur.


But again, with most people's needs just being the web, email and office type software. Netbooks are going to rule and other computers will be sidelined as specialty devices.
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
Reply
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
Reply
post #26 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

I don't know if you have them in the US but the lawyer may be talking about a "Phoenix company"

Strip the assets and start again with a $2 shelf company that is a different legal entity to Psystar.

The name is R A T S Y S P spelled backwards ... , just saying
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #27 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

The name is R A T S Y S P spelled backwards ... , just saying


Rat system programmer?

A hangout for disgruntled ex-Apple coders?
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
Reply
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
Reply
post #28 of 123
THIS JUST IN!!!! Nobody cares about Psytar going out of business.

What would I like to know is how can a company (which stop selling systems) some time ago, manage to continue to pay for these lawyers? Who's really funding them?

Also how can psytar claim to sell EFI (but its out of stock) on its website, not to mention their sold out of a computer download how does that happen?

I hope Apple pounds them even further into the ground and uses them as an example to the Hackintosh community. " MESS WITH THE BEST, DIE LIKE THE REST"
Apple!

Think Different
Reply
Apple!

Think Different
Reply
post #29 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post


So Apple has smacked this Pystar mole, but now it's morphed into a zillion pieces and become even more dangerous.


Apple is making mistakes.

1: Not tying OS X to Apple hardware.

2: Ignoring the low end of the PC market

3: Thinking the law is going to protect their sales.


The results are clear.

Let me answer this blasphemy statement towards APPLE

Apple is making mistakes. (APPLE RARELY MAKES MISTAKES AND WHEN THEY DO THEY CORRECT THEM IN A APPLE WAY)

1: Not tying OS X to Apple hardware. ( They actually do )

2: Ignoring the low end of the PC market. ( Ignoring for a Great Reason, the low end PC market are just a bunch of Wal-Mart minded consumers, wanting A MAC PRO for the price of a MACBOOK, I'm glad Apple ignores these people and as STEVE told a reporter during the 2007 Apple event " WE DON'T SHIP JUNK, IT'S NOT IN OUR DNA TO SELL PRODUCTS WE WOULDN'T RECOMMEND TO OUR LOVED ONES")

3: Thinking the law is going to protect their sales. ( The law does protect those who are doing right and Apple is doing right so the Law protects them )


The results are clear........... APPLE IS RIGHT... NEW ARGUMENT PLEASE (If you can)
Apple!

Think Different
Reply
Apple!

Think Different
Reply
post #30 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Madcapper View Post

I get the feeling most people blindly hate Psystar because "it's the cool thing to do", and blindly support Apple because they have yet to realize that behind the veil it's just a cold, heartless money-hungry company like any other.

I think its naturally the cool thing to do, when another company is profiting off the backs of the most innovative company in history. Their is no blind hatred when your illegally distributing another companies product without its written consent.

Not to mention Blatantly (In a blasphemy way) doing it and not ashamed of it.

All the energies they put into their illegal activities (of scheming past Apple) could have been put into thinking of an idea that innovates and contributes to the industry (instead of taking a page from microsoft and others).

Apple is NOT a cold heartless company either. They are a business and every business needs what it sees as a fair profit for creating life changing devices and software that it distributes. Apple cares about the consumer and focuses on them for the sake of improving the way we fall in love and do with our devices.

I'm sure glad you don't use Apple products, since you clearly say their nothing but a "cold, heartless money-hungry company like any other." Which is NOT TRUE.

Please make a better argument (if you can)
Apple!

Think Different
Reply
Apple!

Think Different
Reply
post #31 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Madcapper View Post

Oh come on, are you serious? If an average consumer wants a system that can run Mac OSX, arguably the best operating system available, how many choices do they have for hardware?

One, which is the way Apple does business, like it or not. If the "average consumer" wants a Honda, how many choices do they have? One, which is the way Honda does business, like it or not. That doesn't mean they can't also buy a Toyota.

Quote:
I get the feeling most people blindly hate Psystar because "it's the cool thing to do", and blindly support Apple because they have yet to realize that behind the veil it's just a cold, heartless money-hungry company like any other.

Oh, sure. You've put your finger right on it.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #32 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

One, which is the way Apple does business, like it or not. If the "average consumer" wants a Honda, how many choices do they have? One, which is the way Honda does business, like it or not.

Acura == Honda

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply
post #33 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

Acura == Honda

And your point?
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #34 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

And your point?

Was just a fun fact that you have two choices with Honda... at least in the states since honda is all honda in japan. Wasn't arguing a point.

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply
post #35 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

Was just a fun fact that you have two choices with Honda... at least in the states since honda is all honda in japan. Wasn't arguing a point.

Then you could just as well say you've got about ten choices from Apple, since they sell about that many Mac models altogether. That's all Acura is -- another Honda model. To the subject, I've never understood where anyone gets the idea that it's normal for a company to deliberately compete with itself, which is exactly what some think Apple ought to be doing. It's a pretty weird concept.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #36 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

...



Oh, sure. You've put your finger right on it.

... and as MacTripper has so eloquently articulated, "it's a no brainer."
Blindness is a condition as well as a state of mind.

Reply
Blindness is a condition as well as a state of mind.

Reply
post #37 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panu View Post

The court's order does indeed include the Rebel EFI, but not explicitly. If Psystar tries to sell it, they will be in trouble with the court as well as Apple.

As for following the money, we're talking about Miami. I lived there when Castro took over Cuba and we were inundated with Cubans. In the late 50s and early 60s they were all upper middle class and well-to-do doctors, lawyers and such, whose property had been confiscated by the Communists. They weren't boat people. Lots of lawyers meant lots of lawsuits, and that quickly spread to the general population. I later worked as an insurance rater for an automobile insurance company that had to leave the state because of losses in Miami. In Miami, and only Miami, nearly every automobile accident ended up in court, because everyone's brother-in-law's stepson's cousin was a lawyer. This added court fees and damages to the insurance payouts, which didn't happen elsewhere in the state. The result was that auto insurance costs were astronomical in Miami.

I don't think you need to follow the money. It's Miami. That's enough to explain it right there.

The problem is that those people (assuming minimum age of 25) would be likely be retired even when Psystar was starting up (2008) so that effectively eliminates them from being a major money source. Besides if it was that easy to get a lawyer why after they lost the first one did Psystar have to get one from Texas--especially one whose only real claim to fame was he managed to get the fine against his client increased?

The money of the 50s and early 60s is likely tied up in other things.
post #38 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

The Hackintosh community doesn't really need Rebel EFI and I'm sure it numbers in the thousands.

Rebel EFI is being licensed to Mac cloners, since Pystar isn't allowed to do it themselves on their hardware, at least not in this country.

. . . . . .

Since my future needs doesn't seem to require the power of a MacBook Pro, just a glorified netbook without needing anti-virus, I'm seriously considering getting one.

. . . . . .

But since Mac's are now just Intel PC's like all other computers, even sporting a SD slot, running Windows and even Linux, there is no reason with OS X the vise versa should occur.

But again, with most people's needs just being the web, email and office type software. Netbooks are going to rule and other computers will be sidelined as specialty devices.

The Hackintosh community may not need Rebel EFI but guys like me certainly do. I used to take that stuff apart and put it all back together when I was younger but I just don't have the time anymore. It all has to work and keep working... I didn't even upgrade to SL until this past weekend, not because I was waiting for anything new - I bought the disk the same week it came out - I just never had a couple of hours available to dedicate to a machine. A good friend of mine bought a Fujitsu 10" netbook, installed the Rebel EFI & is running Leopard. He said it was simple, and it works great.

Like this guy and yourself, I really want a netbook running OS X. After 144 plane flights in 2009, I'm sick and tired of toting that damn 13" MacBook everywhere I go. I want to buy a 27" i7 iMac for my office and a 10" netbook for the road, and provide myself with the perfect office/road combo computing experience.

Apple just doesn't make anything for the uber road warrior, all of their portables feature a similar size footprint (13") and it just has to get more compact to suit my needs, and keep the schlepping factor low. A 10" (or even 11") MacBook Trail - a removable battery for long flights, no DVD, 2-3 USB2.0 ports, Ethernet, DVI (or their idiotic miniDP), maybe 1394 - would be awesome. Don't de-feature to achieve lightweight portability, innovate instead. Not to be.

You're right about "most people's needs." Too bad video is forcing guys like me to scroll and scroll. I spend 0 time watching movies on my MacBook but 18 hours a day on documents. This makes me pretty much average compared to the vast majority of portable computer users. Current available LCDs are all wide screen instead of delivering document height. Why would I want to watch a movie on some 13" screen when I have a 50" HDTV with 7.1 surround sound at home? Look around in airports and of the hundreds of people with open laptops, less than a handful are watching video. Virtually everyone's trying to get some work done.

Apple is missing a key market segment. They'll continue to ignore it because they have the tooling complete for their odd-numbered 13-15-17" unibody line and they're going to milk the profits for all it's worth, as long as they like - even though the whole metal shell laptop thing is closing in on 8-9 years old, grown really long in the tooth, and I yearn for something fresh and new and different looking... but forget that, think same.
Hot tub blonde, pouring champagne: "Say when..." Dangerfield: "Right after this drink."
Reply
Hot tub blonde, pouring champagne: "Say when..." Dangerfield: "Right after this drink."
Reply
post #39 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Then you could just as well say you've got about ten choices from Apple, since they sell about that many Mac models altogether. That's all Acura is -- another Honda model. To the subject, I've never understood where anyone gets the idea that it's normal for a company to deliberately compete with itself, which is exactly what some think Apple ought to be doing. It's a pretty weird concept.

It's not really competing with itself though. In Japan, the Acura Legend is actually the Honda Legend. They are just rebadging the cars for the US. But Apple doesn't rebrand their computers, so can't really say it's the same thing. Why would people want Apple to compete with itself? On what?

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply
post #40 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

It's not really competing with itself though. In Japan, the Acura Legend is actually the Honda Legend. They are just rebadging the cars for the US. But Apple doesn't rebrand their computers, so can't really say it's the same thing. Why would people want Apple to compete with itself? On what?

You are making my point -- both are products of Honda, not some other car manufacturer licensed by Honda to make Honda cars. Some believe that Apple should be licensing OSX to other hardware makers, though why they believe this, has never been clear to me. So you'd have to ask them why. The point I'm making is, if Apple followed this advice, they'd be creating competitors for themselves, which is an unusual business strategy to be sure.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Psystar lawyer claims company not shutting down permanently