or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › WWDC 2010, iPhone announcement rumored for June 28-July 2
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

WWDC 2010, iPhone announcement rumored for June 28-July 2

post #1 of 42
Thread Starter 
A calendar listing for San Francisco's Moscone Center has led to speculation that Apple's annual Worldwide Developer's Conference will coincide with the three-year anniversary of the original iPhone's launch.

The Moscone Center Calendar lists a "Corporate Event" from June 28, 2010 through July 2, 2010 in the Moscone West hall. Previous Apple events have been reserved with the same title.

This year, WWDC 2009 ran June 8 through June 12. In previous years, the event has marked the introduction of new iPhone models. This June, Apple introduced the iPhone 3GS.

The original iPhone debuted on June 29, 2007, along with an exclusive contract with carrier AT&T. Since then, it has been rumored that the two parties are locked into a three-year deal due to expire next summer. While AT&T has reportedly attempted to extend that contract, rumors have persisted that Apple will expand to other carriers.

If WWDC 2010 does take place on June 28, 2010, it could be booked to coincide with the expiration of the current contract with AT&T. Recent reports have suggested that Verizon, the largest wireless carrier in the U.S., could offer a CDMA compatible iPhone next year. Some analysts see Verizon as the best choice for Apple to expand the platform, but others feel technical limitations and different corporate styles could serve as a roadblock for such a deal.

For their part, Verizon officials said last week that their network would be capable of handling the added bandwidth from the addition of the iPhone. They did not, however, imply that the handset was coming to their network.

Another option could be T-Mobile. While the fourth-largest carrier in the U.S. does not have the size or stature of AT&T or Verizon, it is a GSM-based network, meaning compatibility with T-Mobile would be simple to accomplish with the existing iPhone hardware. Given the simplicity of such a move, some have predicted it to happen in 2010.
post #2 of 42
We do know that our Steve & Apple has some



Innovations they've been developing for us CODE Hungry developers. .........


To All my passionate Apple developers in this forum



I can't wait for WWDC .
Apple!

Think Different
Reply
Apple!

Think Different
Reply
post #3 of 42
i bet it's going to be a slow news week with stories like this
post #4 of 42
Here's hoping they say something about Mac OS 10.7 at the WWDC.
post #5 of 42
If they're going to do T-Mobile, they're going to need a five or six-band chipset instead of the current four. For the iPhone 4G, they're going to need 8.
post #6 of 42
Quote:
Another option could be T-Mobile. While the fourth-largest carrier in the U.S. does not have the size or stature of AT&T or Verizon, it is a GSM-based network, meaning compatibility with T-Mobile would be simple to accomplish with the existing iPhone hardware. Given the simplicity of such a move, some have predicted it to happen in 2010.

Don't forget that T-Mobile uses a different 3G frequency to AT&T and the rest of the world. So far there aren't any cellular modems that can handle all three sets of frequencies. Either someone needs to develop one before July or Apple will be forced to sell two separate models.
post #7 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Either someone needs to develop one before July or Apple will be forced to sell two separate models.

Apple could sell two different or three different models. It's not that big of a thing to do. I mean it's work, but many companies have been doing it for a long time now. Palm and Rim both do it. So it's not that Apple can't. They are just choosing not to because of the exclusive they currently have with ATT.
PocketMoney for your iPhone
www.catamount.com
Reply
PocketMoney for your iPhone
www.catamount.com
Reply
post #8 of 42
Apple is going to announce a slightly improved new iPhone, just memory, better processor and a better price.

Then they are going to announce; due to AT&T being unable to handle the volume of iPhone traffic and repeated crashing of their network following record sales of iPhones this holiday season, (where was I?) that the iPhone will be available on other US networks as well.

The FCC by then will have wrapped and declared the iPhone exclusivity with AT&T as the only carrier as illegal monopolistic behavior.

AT&T will be fined, their prices will again increase even higher due to high demand and low bandwidth, their service will further deteriorate and Version will become the new "MaBELL"


Apple will start applying anti-glare films to their glossy displays upon customer request as there will be no matte screen option at all, even though the 15" matte MacBook Pro is wildly popular and sales have been very strong these last few months.
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
Reply
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
Reply
post #9 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

i bet it's going to be a slow news week with stories like this

When the news is news about future news, it IS a slow week!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardyNH View Post

Apple could sell two different or three different models. It's not that big of a thing to do.

They already do: 3G and 3GS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Apple is going to announce a slightly improved new iPhone, just memory, better processor and a better price.

I don't expect that. I expect something better to stay ahead of Droid and Google. Evolutionary, not revolutionary. But I do expect a 64GB phone and 128GB touch.

And iPhone OS 4.0.

Wireless tablet, anyone?
post #10 of 42
It's not official yet but this looks to have 5 3G bands covered.

The two year contract on my iPhone 3G ends July 11, 2010, I'm looking forward to updating to the next iPhone as soon as it's released.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Don't forget that T-Mobile uses a different 3G frequency to AT&T and the rest of the world. So far there aren't any cellular modems that can handle all three sets of frequencies. Either someone needs to develop one before July or Apple will be forced to sell two separate models.

Exclusive apart from eighty odd other GSM carriers around the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardyNH View Post

They are just choosing not to because of the exclusive they currently have with ATT.
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
post #11 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Apple is going to announce a slightly improved new iPhone, just memory, better processor and a better price.

Then they are going to announce; due to AT&T being unable to handle the volume of iPhone traffic and repeated crashing of their network following record sales of iPhones this holiday season, (where was I?) that the iPhone will be available on other US networks as well.

The FCC by then will have wrapped and declared the iPhone exclusivity with AT&T as the only carrier as illegal monopolistic behavior.

AT&T will be fined, their prices will again increase even higher due to high demand and low bandwidth, their service will further deteriorate and Version will become the new "MaBELL"


Apple will start applying anti-glare films to their glossy displays upon customer request as there will be no matte screen option at all, even though the 15" matte MacBook Pro is wildly popular and sales have been very strong these last few months.

iCal'd.
post #12 of 42
I'm hoping an iPhone 4G is available in 2011 when my contract runs out. The main improvement Apple needs to make right now is in battery life, and in various firmware issues. Apart from the battery, the current hardware is just peachy in my opinion.
post #13 of 42
Does this mean the Verizon/Vodafone exclusive Blackberry Storm will be inflicted on AT&T users?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

The FCC by then will have wrapped and declared the iPhone exclusivity with AT&T as the only carrier as illegal monopolistic behavior.

AT&T will be fined, their prices will again increase even higher due to high demand and low bandwidth, their service will further deteriorate and Version will become the new "MaBELL"
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
post #14 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

They already do: 3G and 3GS.

And they manufacture 3 different models: 3G, 3GS, and the Chinese wifi-less model.
post #15 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardyNH View Post

Apple could sell two different or three different models. It's not that big of a thing to do. I mean it's work, but many companies have been doing it for a long time now. Palm and Rim both do it. So it's not that Apple can't. They are just choosing not to because of the exclusive they currently have with ATT.

Um, no. They choose not too because they are making a killing off the iPhone, and setting up all-new development, production, and distribution for the same product, would be huge hit to profitability.
post #16 of 42
he-he. 3GS was poor worthless update having been sadly thrown out for clueless cheerleaders ---which couldn't afford it anyway --- without Steve's having kept his eye on that damn circus having been going on.
Now we reasonable and informed Apple followers expect über-mega-hurricaney-thunder-update. New display, bigger memory, new radio, etc. And endless whining of all those losers who've bit that 3GS bait.

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

Reply

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

Reply
post #17 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychodoughboy View Post

Here's hoping they say something about Mac OS 10.7 at the WWDC.

Too soon. Maybe 2011.

I want an OLED screen and longer battery life.

I can't imagine what Apple could add into iPhone OS to warrant branding it 4.0, to me 3.0 is feature complete. Next release could very well be iPhone OS 3.5.

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

Reply

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

Reply
post #18 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardyNH View Post

Apple could sell two different or three different models. It's not that big of a thing to do.

Out of curiosity, do you work retail.

I ask this because you are claiming that having multiple sets of phones is 'not a big thing to do'. So I wonder if you've ever worked the front lines and actually have a clue what a pain the butt it would be to have ATT iphones, T-Mobile iphones, Verizon iphones etc. and that's in addition to folks just trying to decide what color and storage size they want

as for the rest of the comments.

the FCC. frankly folks are looking at this wrong. they won't ever judge ATT/Apple to be anything. they will, if they make a judgement, declare ALL device to service tying as bad. As they should

After all the crap Apple has gotten about ATT, I don't seem them being stupid enough to tie themselves to anyone. And I suspect that that was never the game plan. The plan was probably to do a limited contract for the first 3-4 years to kick things up and then to unlock and let whomever could handle the phone have at it.

Multiple models. Who is to say they don't have a plan to put more than one chip in the phones. Perhaps it isn't about CDMA AND GSM at all. Perhaps it is to cover a wider range of GSM. Or who is to say that T-Mobile isn't about to announce that they are changing things on their side. Then again, there are a lot of folks out there with "illegal" SIM unlocked phones. So apparently T-Mobile isn't doing so bad after all.

And no one brings up the tablet rumors. Frankly that's what I think the biggie will be. Perhaps an announcement earlier in the year to confirm the existence and then the big hands on will be at WWDC. the phone this time will be things like unlocked, better battery, perhaps more storage and the tablet will be the big deal.
post #19 of 42
A new 2010 iPhone announced on the anniversary of the last 3 iPhone launches? This prediction is really going out on a limb!
post #20 of 42
It is kind of aggravating to post something 6 months before it might actually happen.
post #21 of 42
Who care's about the June announcements? It's not the spring or summer yet.

I want to know about the Januaryannoucements!!
post #22 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

Who care's about the June announcements? It's not the spring or summer yet.

I want to know about the Januaryannoucements!!

I'm looking forward to the new iWork, actually. Perhaps we'll see some hardware announcements, too, like with the 17-inch MBP last time.
post #23 of 42
Not only that but if Verizon is being problematic with negotiations then bringing T-Mobile and, later on, Sprint into the mix would surely irritate Verizon executives. Who wants to be the only carrier in the US without an apple phone?


Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A calendar listing for San Francisco's Moscone Center has led to speculation that Apple's annual Worldwide Developer's Conference will coincide with the three-year anniversary of the original iPhone's launch.

The Moscone Center Calendar lists a "Corporate Event" from June 28, 2010 through July 2, 2010 in the Moscone West hall. Previous Apple events have been reserved with the same title.

This year, WWDC 2009 ran June 8 through June 12. In previous years, the event has marked the introduction of new iPhone models. This June, Apple introduced the iPhone 3GS.

The original iPhone debuted on June 29, 2007, along with an exclusive contract with carrier AT&T. Since then, it has been rumored that the two parties are locked into a three-year deal due to expire next summer. While AT&T has reportedly attempted to extend that contract, rumors have persisted that Apple will expand to other carriers.

If WWDC 2010 does take place on June 28, 2010, it could be booked to coincide with the expiration of the current contract with AT&T. Recent reports have suggested that Verizon, the largest wireless carrier in the U.S., could offer a CDMA compatible iPhone next year. Some analysts see Verizon as the best choice for Apple to expand the platform, but others feel technical limitations and different corporate styles could serve as a roadblock for such a deal.

For their part, Verizon officials said last week that their network would be capable of handling the added bandwidth from the addition of the iPhone. They did not, however, imply that the handset was coming to their network.

Another option could be T-Mobile. While the fourth-largest carrier in the U.S. does not have the size or stature of AT&T or Verizon, it is a GSM-based network, meaning compatibility with T-Mobile would be simple to accomplish with the existing iPhone hardware. Given the simplicity of such a move, some have predicted it to happen in 2010.
post #24 of 42
A wireless company doesn't spend millions improving their network "hoping" that the iPhone will come to their network. Verizon knows the iPhone is coming to them.
post #25 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

A wireless company doesn't spend millions improving their network "hoping" that the iPhone will come to their network. Verizon knows the iPhone is coming to them.

How do we know that Verizon is working specifically to improve their network for the iPhone? Sounds like they doing what theyd do anyway and using it to their advantage with clever marketing.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #26 of 42
Anyone think a minor imac update in january is coming? particularly with the 21.5 and a core i3
post #27 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

he-he. 3GS was poor worthless update having been sadly thrown out for clueless cheerleaders ---which couldn't afford it anyway --- without Steve's having kept his eye on that damn circus having been going on.
Now we reasonable and informed Apple followers expect über-mega-hurricaney-thunder-update. New display, bigger memory, new radio, etc. And endless whining of all those losers who've bit that 3GS bait.

Nevertheless the 3Gs came out just as the original iPhone contracts were expiring in the US. So I upgraded to the the latest iPhone rather than whatever you would have suggested that we losers should have.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #28 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

A wireless company doesn't spend millions improving their network "hoping" that the iPhone will come to their network. Verizon knows the iPhone is coming to them.

it's called hype, vaporware and whatever else. Microsoft was a master of it back in the 1990's. hype features in a future product to keep customers from buying the other guy's products. Windows 7 is missing features that were hyped to be in XP.

VZW is trying to keep you from buying an AT&T iphone
post #29 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by alectheking View Post

Anyone think a minor imac update in january is coming? particularly with the 21.5 and a core i3

most likely along with a MBP update
post #30 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Nevertheless the 3Gs came out just as the original iPhone contracts were expiring in the US. So I upgraded to the the latest iPhone rather than whatever you would have suggested that we losers should have.

Do to revenue sharing AT&T was allowing you to jump to a 3G without a contract cancelation penalty so I think many people arent going to be eligible for a new iPhone until jut before the 4th iPhone hits.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #31 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Do to revenue sharing AT&T was allowing you to jump to a 3G without a contract cancelation penalty so I think many people arent going to be eligible for a new iPhone until jut before the 4th iPhone hits.

I was not aware of that but I'm happy with my 3Gs and I did sell my original iPhone for $150 on CL in 1 hour after listing it.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #32 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

most likely along with a MBP update

great, I am ready to purchase but I have been waiting to see. I hate waiting cause I want my imac now! but if it is going to be updated in January that isn't so bad and maybe i'll get a new ilife.
post #33 of 42
for the last 2 years there has been an imac update in late February or March. usually a few weeks after MacWorld. Intel usually releases new CPU's around that time and by March or April everyone releases new products around them

the entry level 9400M is also very old and slow and due to be replaced by something else
post #34 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

Too soon. Maybe 2011.

I want an OLED screen and longer battery life.

I can't imagine what Apple could add into iPhone OS to warrant branding it 4.0, to me 3.0 is feature complete. Next release could very well be iPhone OS 3.5.


OLED screen should be a given. They are readily available and power efficient. iPhone OS has plenty of room for improvement IMO. Apple needs to figure out how to deal with background processes because in many areas it's a must. They need to deliver resolution independence so that apps can be built to run on devices larger than an iPod Touch/iPhone (cough tablet)

We're not going to wait until 2011 to start talking about 10.7. 10.6 was relatively featureless for a reason. The underpinnings have changed so that future advancements can be done right. Apple needs to start talking about 10.7 next WWDC and "again" highlight a handful of new features/API that developers can begin to wrap their heads around.

I'd love to see a new filesystem and much smarter Time Machine. I'd love to see Mobile Me handle more syncing duties for 3rd parties. I'd love to see more Touch features enabled in Mac OS and GPS features. There's a lot of work to be done and in keeping with the 18-24 month release cycle Apple must deliver something at WWDC 2010 to roadmap things and then deliver in 2011.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
post #35 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

for the last 2 years there has been an imac update in late February or March. usually a few weeks after MacWorld. Intel usually releases new CPU's around that time and by March or April everyone releases new products around them

the entry level 9400M is also very old and slow and due to be replaced by something else

But if the i3's are shipping already, why would apple delay so long?
post #36 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

OLED screen should be a given. They are readily available and power efficient. iPhone OS has plenty of room for improvement IMO.

Is it really power efficient for such a small display using the same UI they have now without excessive blacks that benefit an OLED display?

Quote:
Apple needs to figure out how to deal with background processes because in many areas it's a must.

The 3GS is the first iPhone that has enough RAM to handle it well. I think well see an API and a setup similar to the Push Notification server in Settings. Where developers can add backgounding to an app that a user can turn on in Settings. Likely with a max number to turn on and a nifty Menu Bar item to display which app(s) are running in the background.

As for many areas, the only app that seems to be mentioned for requiring actual background processing is audio streaming, like Pandora, but it looks like Apple may be including that in the iPod app which we know already runs in the background quite nicely.

Quote:
They need to deliver resolution independence so that apps can be built to run on devices larger than an iPod Touch/iPhone (cough tablet)

I thought this was already requested from developers but the lack of SVG images suggests otherwise. Shouldnt be too hard to release an SDK and have developers alter their apps accordingly for a higher pitch on a display of the same size and ratio.

Quote:
We're not going to wait until 2011 to start talking about 10.7. 10.6 was relatively featureless for a reason. The underpinnings have changed so that future advancements can be done right. Apple needs to start talking about 10.7 next WWDC and "again" highlight a handful of new features/API that developers can begin to wrap their heads around.

I agree. Id expect a preview of 10.7 at WWDC with the release being about 2 years after 10.6 dropped.

I kind of hope they start doing a tick/tock release similar to Intel. I think it can help make the workload more stable and easier to deal with.

Quote:
I'd love to see a new filesystem and much smarter Time Machine. I'd love to see Mobile Me handle more syncing duties for 3rd parties. I'd love to see more Touch features enabled in Mac OS and GPS features. There's a lot of work to be done and in keeping with the 18-24 month release cycle Apple must deliver something at WWDC 2010 to roadmap things and then deliver in 2011.

Id like to see a smarter, tabbed Finder. There are plenty of 3rd-party file system apps to take cues from. Im not sure about Touch features in Mac OS X when the primary x/y input is a very fine pointer, not a finger. Leave the new finger-based, multi-touch OS version to the tablet and then let some frameworks and APIs filter in after theyre perfected. What Win7 does with Touch is abysmal.

Id like to see GPS features but not in 10.7 but with a GPS chip in the next notebooks. They already have the timezone finder by IP address in Sys Prefs and HTML5 has geo location. Even in front of my Mac I grab my iPhone for local weather and movies when traveling, which is 24/7, because its easier. Even Google look ups are easier with the iPhone do to geo location in Google Search. Add the chip and rewrite DashBoard Widgets to use it. Speaking of, Dashboard Widgets need a complete overhaul. Its like Apple has let them rot because they cant make money off them.

A couple simple changes I want to see is pinning to the Dock so that I cant accidentally remove an icon. If you do and realize it you cant even do Control+Z to get it back. That isnt very Apple like. Id also like to see the Movie and Music folders be renamed to Video and Audio since its a more general term.

MobileMe interaction needs to be faster. The new iPhone iDisk app seems to be much improved on speed, I can even stream videos from iDisk to my phone which may be using HTTP Streaming. Id like to be able to choose a folder(s) to always keep in sync with MM. Right click on Folder, Get Info, and then check a box that says sync with MM, or have it accessible from Sys Prefs. This way I dont have to do a manual drop of files into the iDisk folder.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #37 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Some analysts see Verizon as the best choice for Apple to expand the platform, but others feel technical limitations and different corporate styles could serve as a roadblock for such a deal.

I don't live in the US, so I can't say for sure, but my understanding of the problem was both Verizon and Apple want full control of their systems - which would mean their corporate styles are too similar, not too different.

It's like Russell Peters said about Chinese and Indians - the Chinese want every penny and the Indians don't want to give you a penny. We can work well together, we just can't work with each other.
post #38 of 42
I thought they were rolling out a 4G network, that'd cost billions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

A wireless company doesn't spend millions improving their network "hoping" that the iPhone will come to their network. Verizon knows the iPhone is coming to them.
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
post #39 of 42
I don't believe iPhone isn't going anywhere with any other carrier, other than AT&T. Just because Apple iPhone is such a big global cell phone that are all baisically on GSM networks.(in other words, iPhone likes to go international & travelers can have a better experience.) Also, CDMA is becoming old, while Gsm is more modern and Apple likes to roll with modern.

As for the next generation iPhone,
Who knows if it'll be 4G. it's too early for it to be 4G, especially if AT&T and/or Verizon is gonna be working on it in the future. The only way they'll roll out a 4G iPhone will be if Apple attaches itself to Sprint, who is currently the only 4G network in America.

Camera: Expecting a 5 megapixel, but Apple wouldn't do 12 megapixel, for SURE! atleast not now.
I can see Apple improving the camera and video features also.
What I would like to see is "pinch & zoom" before snapping a photo and video.
It'll make more sense because of Apple's multi-touch quality and technology and can be a real big help to those who like to get those up-front like photos.
That would be a big plus, and possible for Apple to introduce in their camera app on their next generation iPhone, and update. if not, there is always next year

Design: Most most most likely a new disign, most likely slimer, etc.
Don't be expecting a physical or Slid out physical keyboard. There is a reason why Apple talked about it in WWDC '07 and there's a reason for adding a smart virtual keyboard.

Battery: I'm real positive that Apple will boost up the battery life to atleast 7 hours of talk-time. My highest hours of guess,(or atleast 9 hours, to the MAX.)

Resolution: Positive that Apple will also boost up their resolution, but not too many. And i'll be super suprised& shocked if Apple releases an OLED screen. Very very "suprised"(doubt it they'll get an OLED screen.)

User interface: Can be worked on, and am probably expecting a 4.0 update anytime soon. It's highly possible.
As for the UI, i'm real comfortable as how it is for myself.


Gigabytes: I could definitely see Apple's iPhone jump up to 64 gigs. Throughout the 3 generations, we've all seen and noticed a trend of gigs just
doubling on iPhones(and iTouch.)

Flash?: Apple fans and iPhone owners seem to be concerned and are always wondering, "damnit, when are we getting flash?" As for flash, i believe there 60% chance of Apple introducing flash in the 4th generation iPhone.
I still have no clue where & why the flash hasn't been included yet. Let alone, it'll look ugly on an iPhone. But there are few potential places to add the flash at.
Like, if I were to build an iPhone myself, and if I were in Apples shoes, I would add the flash on the Apple logo,meaning,.. Very, very bright flash. Especially if it were an LED flash. It'll look perfect on the Apple logo, just because it won't have to ruin the original & amazing iPhone look on the back. and it can have a bright MacBook apple logo brightness to it also, whenever the phone is in use.
Very clever ;D

Front facing camera: In no way, would Apple introduce a front facing iChat camera on the 4th generation iPhone. I mean, that'll be a very nice plus, I'm not gonna lie. But would any telecommunications service be healthy enough to support that yet, especially with over a million iPhones out there in the world? But than again, maybe wi-fi hotspots? Hmm, who knows. Still, I don't believe Apple would allow front- facing camera in 6-7 moths. It's just too much at the moment.
Don't get me wrong, I'll like this iChat camera, but maybe more suitable in the year 2011 and beyond, just not now.

Overall, these changes are just expectations that I ''think" Apple will unviel with the 4th generation iPhone. Hopefully better ideas may come out soon.
Just don't expect Verizon Wireless. (I'd also be suprised.)
post #40 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexhasfun28 View Post

I don't believe iPhone isn't going anywhere with any other carrier, other than AT&T. Just because Apple iPhone is such a big global cell phone that are all baisically on GSM networks.(in other words, iPhone likes to go international & travelers can have a better experience.) Also, CDMA is becoming old, while Gsm is more modern and Apple likes to roll with modern.

There is also T-Mobile USA with GSM/3GSM that only requires a simple spectrum added to already used and known chipsets.. They may be in 4th place but they still have about 35M subs, or 40% of AT&Ts total. They may even build their subscriber base by 10-20% (3.5M-7M) in the first full quarter, thus closing that gap quite a bit.

Also, Apples been working with the parent company in many countries and T-Mobile USA seems very likely strike any deal that Apple wants unlike the current and well known leader in the US, Verizon.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › WWDC 2010, iPhone announcement rumored for June 28-July 2