or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › 'Unreal' 3D game engine demonstrated on Apple's iPhone
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

'Unreal' 3D game engine demonstrated on Apple's iPhone

post #1 of 77
Thread Starter 
A version of the same advanced game engine that powers popular titles like Gears of War 2 has been demonstrated on the iPhone 3GS and iPod touch.

Mark Rein, vice president of Epic Games, creators of the Unreal Engine, demonstrated the proof-of-concept to AnandTech with a playable demo. The first-person shooter runs a modified level from the game Unreal Tournament, and employs dual-touch controls.

The game has a virtual thumbstick on the left side of the touch screen to control character movement. Using their right thumb, users can aim and shoot at enemies on screen.

The 3D demo employs Open GL ES 2.0, which is only available on the iPhone 3GS and new iPod touch. The PowerVR SGX GPU has been found to make the hardware, in some cases, to be twice as fast as its predecessors.

The report noted that the game ran with a smooth framerate and the controls worked well. It added, however, that the demo clearly needs polishing, but that it is "just a starting point."

"Epic isnt announcing any sort of iPhone engine licenses nor are they entering the iPhone game market," the report said. "Porting UE3 to the iPhone is simply one of many projects being worked on inside a newer, more svelte and innovative Epic Games (wait till you see whats next...)."



As Epic Games does on the PC side, the company apparently intends to license its Unreal Engine to third-party companies for use on the iPhone and iPod touch. This will allow an advanced framework for companies to build original games around. Epic, at the moment, has no plans to release any games for the platform.

Rein also told AnandTech that Unreal Engine 3 will be demoed on another mobile platform at CES 2010 in early January. The company reportedly intends to take its plans beyond the iPhone and iPod touch.

"This isn't a platform specific thing," the report said, "it's about bringing Unreal Engine 3 to the entire portable market."



Apple has promoted the iPod touch as a games-centric device with the tagline "The funnest iPod ever." When it debuted the new 64GB model in September, Apple highlighted a number of high-profile game releases from major developers, such as Electronic Arts and Ubisoft.

There are also signs that Apple could be looking to get into the game development business itself. In November, AppleInsider discovered that Apple is looking to hire a game and media software engineer for its iPhone and iPod touch team. The listing is noteworthy because Apple ahs released only four applications on its iPhone App Store since it first launched, and only one of them -- Texas Hold'em -- is a game.
post #2 of 77
Impressive. With Rein and Carmack aboard the iPhone platform, it can only lead to good things.
post #3 of 77
Unreal engine 3 (you seem to have a bit of trouble seeing it), is the current game engine which is licensed out and used to power such games as BioShock, Gears of War and Mass Effect.

If you're going to say something dismissive, maybe you should get your facts straight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Only problem is games like this and Doom Classic which I have played on the Touch are 16 year old technology. The touch controls these games are also pretty poor.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #4 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Actually I understand it rather well and if you understood it you would know there is nothing about the iPhone/Touch OS that can take advantage of 90% of of the engine has to offer.

Knowing the system requirements for full versions of Bioshock and Gears of War you are foolish to even mention them as examples.

Games like Doom Classic can be ported to the iPHone because its a 16 years old game. Unreal 3D is on par.

Dude, reread the article, slowly. This is the Unreal 3 engine being discussed, the same engine used in Gears of War 2. This has nothing to do with older games powered by older Unreal engines. Your initial comment "games like this and Doom Classic which I have played on the Touch are 16 year old technology" is off-base.
post #5 of 77
The future of handheld gaming.
post #6 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

The future of handheld gaming.

Its sure looking that way.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #7 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by StLBluesFan View Post

Dude, reread the article, slowly. This is the Unreal 3 engine being discussed, the same engine used in Gears of War 2. This has nothing to do with older games powered by older Unreal engines. Your initial comment "games like this and Doom Classic which I have played on the Touch are 16 year old technology" is off-base.

Ignore him, he is a nothing more than a bad troll. Obviously the iPhone hardware couldn't pump out the same resolutions as a console, but that isn't needed when the screen is so small anyway. This technology is most definitely current and will make it a lot easier to port current games to mobile platforms. Now if only the icontrolpad would come out of eternal prototype status.
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
post #8 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

Now if only the icontrolpad would come out of eternal prototype status.

I recall seeing two mockups before accessories were allowed with the iPhone OS 3.0 SDK but since then I have seen nothing.

Id really like to see gaming APIs so that I can play games on screen or attach any number of 3rd-party D-Pad accessories without having the game be specifically designed for each companies controller or requiring a lengthy rewrite to work with different D-pads.


PS: Id also like the text input to be more intelligence. I dont want usernames to auto-start with a capital letter, I dont want number fields to default to the lettered keyboard, etc.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #9 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Actually I understand it rather well and if you understood it you would know there is nothing about the iPhone/Touch OS that can take advantage of 90% of of the engine has to offer.

Knowing the system requirements for full versions of Bioshock and Gears of War you are foolish to even mention them as examples.

Games like Doom Classic can be ported to the iPHone because its a 16 years old game. Unreal 3D is on par.

Dude, give it up. You don't know what you're talking about. From Anand himself (who is good friends with Mark Rein and is why he got access to the tech demo in the first place):

Quote:
It's the full UE3. Obviously textures, geometry and shaders aren't going to be as complex as they are in Gears of War for example - but they could be if the hardware was fast enough.

That's the whole point. In ~4 years this thing could be as fast as an Xbox 360, which means that you could have something that looked like Gears of War 2 on your phone.

Take care,
Anand
post #10 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The report noted that the game ran with a sooth framerate

What the hell is a "sooth" framerate?
post #11 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I recall seeing two mockups before accessories were allowed with the iPhone OS 3.0 SDK but since then I have seen nothing.

They gave it two analogue sticks and a battery in November and nothing else since. I suspect we will see someone else take a control pad to production before them. http://icontrolpad.com/

Quote:
Id really like to see gaming APIs so that I can play games on screen or attach any number of 3rd-party D-Pad accessories without having the game be specifically designed for each companies controller or requiring a lengthy rewrite to work with different D-pads.

Me as well.

Quote:
PS: Id also like the text input to be more intelligence. I dont want usernames to auto-start with a capital letter, I dont want number fields to default to the lettered keyboard, etc.

That too
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
post #12 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilM View Post

What the hell is a "sooth" framerate?

smooth
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #13 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilM View Post

What the hell is a "sooth" framerate?

That is a smooth framerate as described by a soothsayer.
post #14 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Its sure looking that way.

Not to mention future 'Tablet' gaming ... After watching whatever program you want via iTunes from CBS, ABC (all except NBC no doubt) in HD ... where ever you happen to be, you can look forward to an immersive 3D game.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
post #15 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Actually dude you need to give it up seeing your quote made my point.

What point?

Quote:
Only problem is games like this and Doom Classic which I have played on the Touch are 16 year old technology.

The Unreal 3 Engine is not 16 years old -- that's what everyone is calling you out on. This is the same engine as used by the aforementioned desktop games scaled down for use on a mobile platform -- not a 16-year-old game being ported to the iPhone.

Taking a modern engine and scaling it down is not the same thing as taking a 16-year-old engine and just porting it over.
post #16 of 77
Unity3D already offers 95% of the power of the Unreal Engine at a fraction of the cost. And far, far more usable workflow.
"I tried to get a tattoo once but passed out. It wasn't wetting my arm that bothered me, I just couldn't press firmly for 30 seconds."
Reply
"I tried to get a tattoo once but passed out. It wasn't wetting my arm that bothered me, I just couldn't press firmly for 30 seconds."
Reply
post #17 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

I commented on a 16 year old game because someone else brought up Carmack. Had nothing to do with UE3. Two different subjects.

Well, the "games like this and Doom Classic" while quoting Rein and Carmack in your post sure did make it seem that way. Maybe you should have been clearer \
post #18 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Impressive. With Rein and Carmack aboard the iPhone platform, it can only lead to good things.

If Carmack says he's aboard, then it's only a day or two away from the time he makes a big public announcement of how iPhone sucks and Apple hates gamers. Usually, a few months after that ... he's onboard again.

I don't know why anyone cares about Carmack, (or first person shooters for that matter). He's the most overrated gas-bag in the industry.
post #19 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

I commented on a 16 year old game because someone else brought up Carmack. Had nothing to do with UE3. Two different subjects.

Quote:
Only problem is games like this and Doom Classic which I have played on the Touch are 16 year old technology. The touch controls these games are also pretty poor.

Either you change your story a lot or your grasp on the English language isn't that great. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess both. You specifically said "games like this are 16 year old technology."
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
post #20 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I don't know why anyone cares about Carmack, (or first person shooters for that matter). He's the most overrated gas-bag in the industry.

LOLWUT? You don't understand the appeal of FPSs? One of the most popular genres in computer gaming, and you don't understand why people care?

Lemme guess, you also don't understand the appeal of the Honda Accord or Toyota Camry either?
post #21 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

I didn't change anything. Look at the first post in the thread. Carmack is mentioned. Its not like I can change what someone else said. Maybe you need to brush up on your English.

No, your first post still clearly states that "games like this are 16 year old technology". You changed your story in subsequent posts, claiming to not say that, despite it being clearly visible in your first post.

The person you quoted did mention Carmack, but your words never implied that you were replying to that part of the statement at all. We can only read what you write (actually I have to click "view post" to read what you write), and your words (intended or not) were very clear. I'd give you more leeway if you did more than troll every thread you are involved in.
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
post #22 of 77
You people are so fkng stupid it's incredible.
This will end up being another 200+ post thread, and the vast majority of it (as always) will be comments from people who are too retarded to add just a couple of names to their "ignore" list.
The only thing worse than a troll are the people who feed the troll. They are the ones who ruin intelligent dialog for the rest of us. They make the ignore lists, for those of us who actually use them, completely pointless.
post #23 of 77
"NEW Version/release: Unreal Development Kit (UDK)
Because of the new trend in the engine market of removing the barrier between the masses and the utilization of expensive technology by distributing it for free, or for small licensing costs, Epic Games released the Unreal Engine 3 in a binary only form, naming it The Unreal Development Kit (UDK), on November 5 2009."


Source:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unreal_Engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

...UT is 11 years old.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #24 of 77
The same engine that never showed up on the Mac because Apple won't bother to fix a few major issues until snow leopard came out?
post #25 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

You people are so fkng stupid it's incredible.
This will end up being another 200+ post thread, and the vast majority of it (as always) will be comments from people who are too retarded to add just a couple of names to their "ignore" list.
The only thing worse than a troll are the people who feed the troll. They are the ones who ruin intelligent dialog for the rest of us. They make the ignore lists, for those of us who actually use them, completely pointless.

He's on my ignore list. Sometimes feeding the troll is fun, but don't worry, I'm done. Of course others will carry on.

I'm secretly (I guess it isn't secret now) hoping that someone at macworld will have a surprise gamepad announcement. It looks like graphics advancements are moving along smoothly, but some games need buttons to work best. I don't need a dedicated portable gaming device, but if I could add a game pad to my iPhone, I would definitely play more games on it. I've already said that I don't expect the icontrolpad to come out anytime soon \
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
post #26 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

The future of handheld gaming.

You have to feel sorry for their fragmented user base though, all those people that have the older devices which can't use things like this.

It is like Apple doesn't understand handheld gaming, or gaming in general.
post #27 of 77
Yeah it's not like a PS1 can't play PS3 titles or anything...

...hang on.

As hardware advances the software that takes advantage of that hardware also advances.

This

is

an

inescapable

fact

of

life.

Why would you expect Apple to be any different?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

You have to feel sorry for their fragmented user base though, all those people that have the older devices which can't use things like this.

It is like Apple doesn't understand handheld gaming, or gaming in general.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #28 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Yeah it's not like a PS1 can't play PS3 titles or anything...

...hang on.

As hardware advances the software that takes advantage of that hardware also advances.

This

is

an

inescapable

fact

of

life.

Why would you expect Apple to be any different?


Let's see, how long was it between the the Nintendo DS coming out, and it's replacement that meant the DS couldn't play new games. That's right, it hasn't happened yet.

Now, how long has it been between the Sony PSP it's replacement that meant the original PSP couldn't play new games. That's right, it hasn't happened yet.

All models of the PS1 can play all PS1 games
All models of the PS2 can play all PS2 games
All models of the PS3 can play all PS3 games

Can we say the same with iPhone, no. Apple is happy about this as people have to purchase new hardware, Apple does not understand gaming at all. Especially from a consumer point of view.
post #29 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

No one said UE3 is not new. However the game that was being played is a modified level of UT which was introduced in 1999. Also the UDK that you site shows it has very little to do with the actual UE3 engine which was designed for the Xbox 360, PS3 and Direct X 9 and 10 GPU's. Not the iPhone or Touch.

The map/geometry is irrelevant, the engine dealing with physics, IK, lighting, shading, texture filtering is the important part. Modern engines are built to be scalable so nobody expects the same level of detail but what it means is that large franchises already built on that engine can be ported over with much less effort and scale down. That is hugely significant as a lot of games use the UT 3 engine. There was a rumor a while back about Bioshock being ported to the iphone and now it makes a whole lot of sense.

Judging by how that demo played, it would be ideal for Bioshock because it mainly consists of small rooms like that with just a handful of characters. The water effects would be a challenge on the older phones but should be fine on the 3GS. They would of course downsample the textures and reduce the overall bulk of the game from the 8GB install size on the PC. The touch controls would be great for switching plasmids etc.

The game is very long too; so long, they could even split it into 4 episodic games at say, 200MB each. This way, they don't have to worry about charging a small amount for such a large franchise e.g 4 x $2.99 is better than 1 x $11.99.

If Valve would get moving on this on port their Source engine, we could even get the Orange Box on the iphone and people playing Counterstrike or Team Fortress from anywhere in the world. 3G is probably too laggy but in a wifi hotspot it should be ok.

With games like Need for Speed Shift and Gameloft's Nova:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOHWOkdbYWs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOcZjTdib_M

the quality of the graphics is clear. It borders on PS2 quality and although it's an old standard, the PS2 was still one of the most popular consoles of all time and that quality is now in your pocket and it looks even better on a small screen. The controls aren't perfect but as you can see in the NOVA FPS, it's still accurate enough and controllable enough to be enjoyable.
post #30 of 77
The iPhone 3GS can play all iPhone OS games unlike the two earlier models the 3G and the 2G.

The situation is exactly the same, no doubt when a new model comes out in the middle of next year (assuming Apple continues it's annual release cycle), it will introduce new features and developers will take advantage of them.

Can a Gameboy Advance play Gameboy DS titles?

Can a PS1 play PS3 titles?

Can an X-Box play X-Box 360 titles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Let's see, how long was it between the the Nintendo DS coming out, and it's replacement that meant the DS couldn't play new games. That's right, it hasn't happened yet.

Now, how long has it been between the Sony PSP it's replacement that meant the original PSP couldn't play new games. That's right, it hasn't happened yet.

All models of the PS1 can play all PS1 games
All models of the PS2 can play all PS2 games
All models of the PS3 can play all PS3 games

Can we say the same with iPhone, no. Apple is happy about this as people have to purchase new hardware, Apple does not understand gaming at all. Especially from a consumer point of view.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #31 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

If Carmack says he's aboard, then it's only a day or two away from the time he makes a big public announcement of how iPhone sucks and Apple hates gamers. Usually, a few months after that ... he's onboard again.

I don't know why anyone cares about Carmack, (or first person shooters for that matter). He's the most overrated gas-bag in the industry.

And you have just proven yourself to be a load of hot air. Good luck with that.
post #32 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

The iPhone 3GS can play all iPhone OS games unlike the two earlier models the 3G and the 2G.

The situation is exactly the same, no doubt when a new model comes out in the middle of next year (assuming Apple continues it's annual release cycle), it will introduce new features and developers will take advantage of them.

Can a Gameboy Advance play Gameboy DS titles?

Can a PS1 play PS3 titles?

Can an X-Box play X-Box 360 titles?

Do you have trouble with reading etc?

The PS1 was released in 1994, the replacement was released in 2000.. Six years later, the PS3 was released in 2006, another six years later. The PSP was released in 2004, five years ago. They all play the same games released within their generation. When they are advertised to people (including their games) you can spot the difference, and tell which games run on which console.

The iPhone 3G, the iPod touch 8GB, the iPod touch 32Gb are still on sale now, and will be the models that sell the most, when the consumer is purchasing them, there is nothing stated other than storage space which says, this device will not play the same games as the 3GS, or the iPod touch 64GB version.

The advantage that console (including portable) gaming had is the hardware was consistent, they all played the games within their generation.

If Apple things they can change the generation every year, they are very misguided.
post #33 of 77
Mobile phone platform's move a lot faster than most other forms of technology, why are you expecting anything different from Apple?

The generation of an iPhone is one year which is a fairly long one in this area.

You want them to remain frozen in some time warp as their competitors attempt to catch up and overtake.

Unfortunately the real world doesn't always work the way you want.

Time is pretty much unstoppable (Apart from impractical fields of quantum physics).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Do you have trouble with reading etc?

The PS1 was released in 1994, the replacement was released in 2000.. Six years later, the PS3 was released in 2006, another six years later. The PSP was released in 2004, five years ago. They all play the same games released within their generation. When they are advertised to people (including their games) you can spot the difference, and tell which games run on which console.

The iPhone 3G, the iPod touch 8GB, the iPod touch 32Gb are still on sale now, and will be the models that sell the most, when the consumer is purchasing them, there is nothing stated other than storage space which says, this device will not play the same games as the 3GS, or the iPod touch 64GB version.

The advantage that console (including portable) gaming had is the hardware was consistent, they all played the games within their generation.

If Apple things they can change the generation every year, they are very misguided.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #34 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

The future of handheld gaming.

i still feel a 9x6 in tablet with powerful componentes will be a gamers fream come true
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Its sure looking that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

You have to feel sorry for their fragmented user base though, all those people that have the older devices which can't use things like this.

It is like Apple doesn't understand handheld gaming, or gaming in general.

nahhh
we will gift these old devices and buy

the new ones
apple knows us well


9
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #35 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Do you have trouble with reading etc?

The PS1 was released in 1994, the replacement was released in 2000.. Six years later, the PS3 was released in 2006, another six years later. The PSP was released in 2004, five years ago. They all play the same games released within their generation. When they are advertised to people (including their games) you can spot the difference, and tell which games run on which console.

The iPhone 3G, the iPod touch 8GB, the iPod touch 32Gb are still on sale now, and will be the models that sell the most, when the consumer is purchasing them, there is nothing stated other than storage space which says, this device will not play the same games as the 3GS, or the iPod touch 64GB version.

The advantage that console (including portable) gaming had is the hardware was consistent, they all played the games within their generation.

If Apple things they can change the generation every year, they are very misguided.

the jesus phone is the new standard that all future games will play on for yrs to come
the accellaromitor was what screwed the old models up
i think

9
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #36 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep View Post

i still feel a 9x6 in tablet with powerful componentes will be a gamers fream come true




nahhh
we will gift these old devices and buy

the new ones
apple knows us well


9

I think the tablet is going to be the ultimate casual gaming device. Apple will finally rule gaming as it sees off the PSP, the DS and the whole niche PC gaming rig scene.

Weird to think. But I can see the iPhone and the Tablet seeing off consoles as well. Possibly. If Apple actually put a Radeon 8500 in the Apple TV...it would be goodnight vienna to the opposition with the iPhone/Tablet and ATV.

Apple just need the tablet and atv to link up to the app store with tv subs...to link up the triangle. Game over.

Lemon Bon Bon.

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply
post #37 of 77
I've looked at and used the DS on the sofa. It's too small.

I could see myself gaming and surfing on the iTab. 9-10 inches, baby. It's where it's at.

C64 emulator on an iTab. Would rock my world.

Lemon Bon Bon.

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply
post #38 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Let's see, how long was it between the the Nintendo DS coming out, and it's replacement that meant the DS couldn't play new games. That's right, it hasn't happened yet.

Now, how long has it been between the Sony PSP it's replacement that meant the original PSP couldn't play new games. That's right, it hasn't happened yet.

All models of the PS1 can play all PS1 games
All models of the PS2 can play all PS2 games
All models of the PS3 can play all PS3 games

Can we say the same with iPhone, no. Apple is happy about this as people have to purchase new hardware, Apple does not understand gaming at all. Especially from a consumer point of view.

Now youre arguing that doing HW and firmware updates yearly is way too often when Im pretty sure that youve complained in the past that Apple doesnt update their product line often enough.

If game developers want to make their games work with the original iPhone and Touch HW they can. They also have the option to utilizing the HW that outshines the DS in many ways. Nintendos CEO has already stated that they have to regroup do to Apples entry into mobile gaming, which they didnt anticipate. Now they are playing catch up to iDevices on many levels but it seems a little too late for this battle.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #39 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

I think the tablet is going to be the ultimate casual gaming device. Apple will finally rule gaming as it sees off the PSP, the DS and the whole niche PC gaming rig scene.

Weird to think. But I can see the iPhone and the Tablet seeing off consoles as well. Possibly. If Apple actually put a Radeon 8500 in the Apple TV...it would be goodnight vienna to the opposition with the iPhone/Tablet and ATV.

Apple just need the tablet and atv to link up to the app store with tv subs...to link up the triangle. Game over.

Lemon Bon Bon.

That simply will not happen. Apple may have a gamers device on its hands though not intended, the idea that Apple could unseat traditional consoles is not going to happen. An Apple tablet may be many things after it comes to market, even a gamers device, but consider the price will likely be $599 and up and this is too much to ask for a gamers device.

Consider you are talking about Apple who has had no interest in gaming until the success of the ipod touch and iphone, I do not see Apple trying to push the Apple TV as a gamers device. Having the Apple tablet and the iphone devices tied to the Apple TV will certainly help the Apple TV product be more appealing but saying that it will see off consoles is an overstatement.
post #40 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Mobile phone platform's move a lot faster than most other forms of technology, why are you expecting anything different from Apple?

The generation of an iPhone is one year which is a fairly long one in this area.

yeah phones do, gaming platforms don't.

If you want to annoy your gaming customers upgrade the device every six months.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › 'Unreal' 3D game engine demonstrated on Apple's iPhone