or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple tablet could have 'imminent' Jan. 2010 debut - report

Apple tablet could have 'imminent' Jan. 2010 debut - report

post #1 of 47
As Apple reportedly pushes to launch a subscription television service, the company is also rumored to unveil its long-awaited tablet device in January, a new report states.

Without naming a source, the Financial Times said that Apple's touchscreen device is "expected to launch imminently." The publication also reiterated much of what was said by The Wall Street Journal Monday: Apple has had discussions with Walt Disney Co. and CBS Corp. about offering subscriptions for TV shows through iTunes.

"Apple is preparing an announcement next month that many anticipate will be the official unveiling of its tablet, but the company has so far declined to confirm the existence of the device," the Financial Times reported. "Wall Street analysts expect mass production of an Apple tablet to begin as early as February."

It noted that magazine publishers Time Inc. and Condé Nast have created prototypes of digital editions of their magazines. The concepts shown were device-neutral and publishers intend to offer them on a variety of tablet devices expected to arrive in 2010.

A consortium of publishers have also agreed to open standards for a new digital storefront that will offer users media content on portable devices. The publishers intend to create a reading application that can render the "distinct look and feel" of specific publications. It would allow for devices to be viewed on a variety of hardware, including Apple's potential tablet.

In July, AppleInsider reported that Apple's rumored tablet device would arrive in early 2010. The 10-inch, 3G-enabled touchscreen device is said to have been crafted under the watchful eye of co-founder Steve Jobs.
post #2 of 47
It it doesn't have a screen that also servers as a camera, I'm not interested! http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...tos_video.html
post #3 of 47
Why, Apple, why're you so hard to me??
I'm not at all interested in TV and can't make me watch it more than for one evening a year. I'm not at all an artist myself and can't make simplest sketch out of what my eyes see around...
So, this shiny amazing product is useless for me.

BTW, isn't that letting go 3GS here and there making room for Leonardo?

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

We mean Apple no harm.

post #4 of 47
If I have to run to a communications for connectivity, I don't think I'll have much interest in it.
http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/quotes.asp

Never argue with idiots, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. - a bumper sticker

Never quote idiots, they just clog up...
http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/quotes.asp

Never argue with idiots, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. - a bumper sticker

Never quote idiots, they just clog up...
post #5 of 47
Here's my current guess on what the device will be like:

1) 10" LED-backlit LCD panel with touchscreen features.

2) ARM11 CPU with PA Semi technology to keep power consumption down.

3) Unknown GPU technology to allow smooth 720p HDTV playback.

4) 2 GB of system RAM.

5) 240 to 320 GB 1.8" dual-platter hard drive for local storage. (Don't laugh. Given Apple's success with the iPod classic running for long periods of time with a single-platter 1.8" hard drive, not to mention a lot more space for a much bigger batter pack on the tablet, such a method for local storage actually makes sense, especially given the current steep prices for SSD storage).

6) 802.11b/g/n WiFi connectivity.

7) Maybe Bluetooth connectivity for external keyboard/mouse pointing device.

8) Possible 3G GSM HSDPA/HSUPA cellphone network connectivity.

8) iPod dock connector and Mini DisplayPort connector, with optional adapter for Mini DisplayPort to HDMI 1.3 connections.
post #6 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoMan01 View Post

5) 240 to 320 GB 1.8" dual-platter hard drive for local storage.

never
post #7 of 47
I've got $300 in credit card reward points waiting to be used on this thing

Only problem is, I'm going to have a hard time explaining to my wife why I need a MacBook Pro, iPhone 3GS AND an Apple Tablet
post #8 of 47
Quote:

So you agree with everyone else.

Quote:

This is very possible although I'd say it's only about 70%

Quote:

Unknown? Chipsets for this already exist.

Quote:
4) 2 GB of system RAM.

No need unless the tablet is running the full Mac OS on Intel hardware.

Quote:
5) 240 to 320 GB 1.8" dual-platter hard drive for local storage.

Never going to happen. Apple won't go backwards on this, they'll stay with SSDs.

Quote:

It's a given although I'd like to see 802.11a added.

Quote:

This they better have. The screen is big enough to use for remote computing to your Mac or a PC. Unfortunately it'll work much better with PCs until Apple decides to do a remote desktop that works better than the crappy one they have now.

Quote:

I suppect that the tablet may, although unlikely, use the Gobi card so it would run on both AT&T/T-Mobile and Verizon/Sprint. Hopefully the card will also be replaceable so you could put in a future LTE card.

Quote:
9) iPod dock connector and Mini DisplayPort connector, with optional adapter for Mini DisplayPort to HDMI 1.3 connections.

Would be nice since there I don't think there is any more room to add this to the current dock connector but then maybe Apple will reuse the Firewire pins on the dock connector or even use a new dock connector.
post #9 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB Sting View Post

It it doesn't have a screen that also servers as a camera, I'm not interested! http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...tos_video.html

Nobody cares that you are not interested because of one feature you think is a must have. Keep your negativity to yourself.
post #10 of 47
Continues to make no sense to me if built around a cellular plan with no easily accessible file system, no storage and and a beefy os.

Who needs another cell plan when they probably already have some smartphone or another? Its not pocketable so who will travel with this versus their existing laptop? It has to provide some unique functionality that's attractive to a mass audience and does not compete with products they already own.

As far as subscription TV, this can't be a significant focus. Apple plans a product around obtaining rights to programs already contractually locked up with broadcasters who need Apple like they need a hole in the head?

I think the market for what's constantly discussed is too narrow for Apple.
post #11 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eye Forget View Post

Who needs another cell plan when they probably already have some smartphone or another? Its not pocketable so who will travel with this versus their existing laptop? It has to provide some unique functionality that's attractive to a mass audience and does not compete with products they already own.

The unique functionality is that it is instant on. This is the major reason many of my friends love their iPod touch. Instant on for mail, Internet and this time maybe some additional multimedia content such as newspaper and/or books. Would be enough for me.
post #12 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...the company is also rumored to unveil its long-awaited tablet device in January...

it would be ironic if it turns out the device's release could have coincided with a Jobsean keynote at MWSF.

Reports are the company dropped out of MW because people can go to a local apple store to see product (true, but only true for some) and that it can stage its own special events to announce products (true, but does anyone think the company's special events have attracted more coverage than the annual keynote announcements used to)? The press lined up at those meetings just like the fanboys.

So timing was the issue: Apple didn't want to have to announce something in January if it wasn't ready to announce until feb, or march, or whenever: It might have to rush an announcement, or NOT announce, leaving some fanboys and media annoyed.

Taking control of its own destiny in that way makes sense. But if there's a product ready to announce within weeks of the rescheduled (Feb 9-13) MWSF, it would also make sense to schedule the special event there. The press will attend a special event at Moscone whether it's that week or a week earlier or later. But following this scheme, the announcement would be made in front of several thousand afficianados. I say bring back the magic, and do it there.
post #13 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeoutsider View Post

Nobody cares that you are not interested because of one feature you think is a must have. Keep your negativity to yourself.

If you don't care, don't respond.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #14 of 47
Quote:

5) 240 to 320 GB 1.8" dual-platter hard drive for local storage. (Don't laugh. Given Apple's success with the iPod classic running for long periods of time with a single-platter 1.8" hard drive, not to mention a lot more space for a much bigger batter pack on the tablet, such a method for local storage actually makes sense, especially given the current steep prices for SSD storage).

The reason the Classic can get such great battery life is because it has a cache and pre-loads a bunch of content to play. So the drive spins up, loads the cache, and then spins down. The drive is spun down more than it's spun up. It can do this because when you are only playing media, it can predict the data it needs (ie, the next 10 songs) ahead of time and load it. You can't do that if you are running apps or checking email. So on a tablet the drive would be running a far higher percentage of time than on a Classic, and the battery would be dead very quickly.

As an example, my 5th gen iPod, which is very similar to the Classic, can download photos directly from my digital camera (try that with your iPhone, touch, or Classic!). Obviously, the drive needs to run continuously to do this. A full charge will run down to about 30-40% remaining after only 15 minutes of downloading.
post #15 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

The drive is spun down more than it's spun up.

Really? Does that mean it ends up going backward? ;-)
I'd estimate, to a high degree of precision, that the drive is spun down precisely as much as it is spun up. It may, on the other hand, spend less time running than off.
post #16 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB Sting View Post

Touché

Skip

I say this because, it will come, it will be a tablet, but damn near everyone will say things like:

"It's nice, but I wish it had …

- A camera
- A better camera
- A flash for the camera
- More mega-pixels
- Better software for editing the pictures

Oh, hell, this things suck as a camera, I think I'll get out and get a Nikon D300!

"Or"

- it's nice, but it's forever dropping my calls
- It's smaller then I thought it would be
- It's just a bit bigger then it needs to be
- The screens to glossy for my
- The screens not glossy enough for me
- "Where's the wi-fi?
- I hope the next version has …
post #17 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Only problem is, I'm going to have a hard time explaining to my wife why I need a MacBook Pro, iPhone 3GS AND an Apple Tablet

The tablet should be easier to hide than a 27 Inch iMac!
post #18 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacApfel View Post

The unique functionality is that it is instant on. This is the major reason many of my friends love their iPod touch.

I agree. I'm a Touch user. That's another reason why I can't see the concept displacing pocketable devices, whether they are on a cellular plan or a Touch. If its a trade-off between pocketable and larger screen, I don't see much of a market for the latter. Especially considering it won't replace what's already in my pocket for the privilege of spending more money.

Hopefully it will have a decent os and I/O. Then it starts looking attractive as it displaces the laptop.
post #19 of 47
Quote:

I agree. I'm a Touch user. That's another reason why I can't see the concept displacing pocketable devices, whether they are on a cellular plan or a Touch. If its a trade-off between pocketable and larger screen, I don't see much of a market for the latter. Especially considering it won't replace what's already in my pocket for the privilege of spending more money.

Hopefully it will have a decent os and I/O. Then it starts looking attractive as it displaces the laptop.

There is definitely a market between an ipod touch and a laptop, just look at netbooks, although I suspect that is mostly due to how cheap netbooks are. Apple appears to be hoping to segment it into degrees of portability and rely on the fact that many people are willing to pay a little more for an apple product (when comparing the price to a netbook).

There are a bunch of tablets either on the market or coming to the market in the near future. A lot of people seem willing to bet money that this is a market in the making.

Edit: Why wouldn't a tablet be "instant on" in the same manner that the touch is (it isn't instant on, you just never turn it off)?
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
post #20 of 47
Had to laugh at how "watchful eye of Steve Jobs" was hyperlinked in the story. I didn't dare click that link -- I'd like to keep the soul I've got, thank you.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #21 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

There is definitely a market between an ipod touch and a laptop, just look at netbooks, although I suspect that is mostly due to how cheap netbooks are. Apple appears to be hoping to segment it into degrees of portability and rely on the fact that many people are willing to pay a little more for an apple product (when comparing the price to a netbook).

The netbook market is a laptop substitute. Unless the Tablet has I/O, it competes with a smartphone/Touch.

I think I'm a typical user. MacBook Air, 12" G4 PB (call them any laptop) and a smartphone. If I'm on the road where portability is paramount, what am I going to do with an unpocketable Touch that can't displace my laptop? Its not a price issue, its configurability.

The more I read the more it sounds like a Kindle. I know 3 people with Kindles. None of them use it, after buying the Kindle, they all went out and bought a Touch.
post #22 of 47
Apple would not make a simple reader. It will do much more.

iPod on steroids, maybe. Mac OSX? Maybe not.

USB: certainly. PDF printing, camera import, etc.

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

post #23 of 47
More hard evidence about timing is needed to back up all the speculation. Look for such things as product "placeholders" established on the Best Buy website (if big box retailers are among the distribution channels). Apple has a solid reputation for avoiding vaporware. When "the tablets are brought down from the mountain" (sorry, couldn't resist a bad pun!), expect that Apple will be able to populate the supply chain within weeks of the announcement at most, if they're not already available for immediate shipment to Apple Store online orders.

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

post #24 of 47
Quote:

The netbook market is a laptop substitute. Unless the Tablet has I/O, it competes with a smartphone/Touch.

I think I'm a typical user. MacBook Air, 12" G4 PB (call them any laptop) and a smartphone. If I'm on the road where portability is paramount, what am I going to do with an unpocketable Touch that can't displace my laptop? Its not a price issue, its configurability.

The more I read the more it sounds like a Kindle. I know 3 people with Kindles. None of them use it, after buying the Kindle, they all went out and bought a Touch.

So you as a "typical user" have a laptop, an ultraportable and smartphone? Based on an individuals needs, ultraportable could be replaced with netbook or tablet, could it not? Maybe a tablet isn't for you, but I think you just inadvertently outlined a market.

Even if they just made the iPod touch bigger (which I doubt), it would be a lot more than a Kindle, so I don't understand where this Kindle concept comes from. Yes, there are rumors that it will be great for ebooks and magazines, but that doesn't mean that it will be a Kindle. It just means that it will likely leave the Kindle beaten and battered in its wake.
post #25 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

More hard evidence about timing is needed to back up all the speculation. Look for such things as product "placeholders" established on the Best Buy website (if big box retailers are among the distribution channels). Apple has a solid reputation for avoiding vaporware. When "the tablets are brought down from the mountain" (sorry, couldn't resist a bad pun!), expect that Apple will be able to populate the supply chain within weeks of the announcement at most, if they're not already available for immediate shipment to Apple Store online orders.

The headline is misleading. AI is suggesting that Apple will announce the tablet in January, but it wouldn't ship until February or March. So it would be a little early to see product place holders.
post #26 of 47
Do y'all think that this tablet will also try to compete with the nook, kindle 2 and all other oncoming ebook readers?
My mind is the weapon. Everything else is merely an accessory.
My mind is the weapon. Everything else is merely an accessory.
post #27 of 47
It's Kindle/Nook killer right out of here! You have my word on it!

We mean Apple no harm.

We mean Apple no harm.

post #28 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Had to laugh at how "watchful eye of Steve Jobs" was hyperlinked in the story. I didn't dare click that link -- I'd like to keep the soul I've got, thank you.

Now that made me laugh out loud.
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
post #29 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMMI89 View Post

Do y'all think that this tablet will also try to compete with the nook, kindle 2 and all other oncoming ebook readers?

It would compete against them in the same way that an iPod Touch would compete against a Shuffle, if the Shuffle was almost the same size as an iPod Touch.
post #30 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

ultraportable could be replaced with netbook or tablet, could it not? Maybe a tablet isn't for you, but I think you just inadvertently outlined a market.

With a netbook yes. With a Tablet that does not have I/O and a decent OS, no. This is my entire point, it competes with what's already in your pocket and is not pocketable.

The Air belongs to my wife. In terms of "ultraportable" it does not pack as well as my 12" PB. That's why the Tablet is of interest to me. However, it needs to replace a functioning laptop, not something that's already in my pocket, works just fine and would be replaced with something else that fits in my pocket.

We'll see what comes out. Unless its ultracheap (doubtful) its a discretionary purchase for couch potatoes. That's hardly a market I can see Apple interested in.
post #31 of 47
Quote:

As long as you don't need the money elsewhere there is nothing to explain. On the otherhand if the economy is hitting hard in your area then maybe you should listen to her.

In any event if the device comes with a contract we are all screwed.

Dave
post #32 of 47
Quote:

5) 240 to 320 GB 1.8" dual-platter hard drive for local storage...

no way. Not even SSD. If this thing is real, I see flash memory. Just like your iPhone, but with more of it
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
post #33 of 47
I am guessing most of you will have no use for a 10" tablet device, since most of you already own a laptop and/or iPhone. Most here seem to brag quite a bit.

How do you people plan on carrying this 10" device? Are you going to carry it in your MAN PURSE since it is too small for a laptop case and too big for your pocket? You'll look as stupid as the fools that wear their bluetooth implants in their ear 24 hours a day because they think they are important.

AT&T had a tablet device back in the 90's, never made it out of the prototype stage. I saw a demonstration of the prototype in person. The reason it failed: it was too big and no one would consider carrying it around. It wasn't much larger than a 10" device.
post #34 of 47
Quote:

That is pretty much a given unless Apple deploys tech we don't know about. There are concepts for lower power and higher quality screens out there but last I knew nothing ready for mass production.

In any event I'm hoping for a family of tablets with multiple screen sizes. In otherwords I want a 7" class device myself.
Quote:

ARM11 is out, the performance is way to low per watt. As to PA Semi they will be doing integration of the SoC and not low power design per say. Yes they need to take low power into account when designing the required circuitry, but the ECAD tools choosen have a big impact there.

I'm going to suggest A9 or A8 will be the targetted architecture. What will be very interesting is what PA tacks onto those cores. Here I'm expecting some high performance hardware to accelerate the though stuff.
Quote:

The GPU proper is likely to be from Imagination Technologies. They have some new GPUs that could easily be configured for this device. That won't however takle the tough stuff alluded to above, this is where I see PA having a big role. That is I expect to see a PA designed funtion block for multimedia acceleration.

If one looks at the 12.10.2009 copy of Electronic Design you will find a short article called "Its a Multimedia CPU Feeding Frenzy" where a number of companies have products highlighted. One is ZiiLabs and their ZMS-08 chip. It comes equiped with a 64 cell parallel processing array attached to an A8 core. This array can encode and decode 720P at the same time. I see Apple doing the samething with an array that is general but separate from the GPU. This could become a OpenCL resource.

Interestingly the development platform fo this chip is a Touch sized device. Obviously this could drive larger machines.

Obviously Apple intends for PA to implement it's own special sauce. What is becoming obvious is that that sauce will have to be very special indeed to compete with all the different ARM based SoC hitting the marketplace. It is this area that really has me interested on a technical front. Plus all of these developments could easily go into an iPhone sized device.
Quote:
4) 2 GB of system RAM.

I'm expecting less but in a tablet it may be feasable.
Quote:

I'd be very surprised! Especially after the manufactures indicated that the tech is dead.
Quote:

yep.
Quote:

Or a single USB port. I use to be a fan of Blutooth but it never really panned out in a general sense.
Quote:

8) iPod dock connector and Mini DisplayPort connector, with optional adapter for Mini DisplayPort to HDMI 1.3 connections.

I don't see how a a display port connection would add a lit of value. But then again the use cases I imagine may be different than average. As to 3G or 4G, it has to beopyional without a contract.

Dave
post #35 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

In any event if the device comes with a contract we are all screwed.

Dave

Amen. If it comes with a contract, count me out. I'm already paying for my iPhone 3GS plan; I don't want to pay for another.

And I'll take it one step further -- if it doesn't come with a full-blown copy of OS X, I'm not buying.
post #36 of 47
I prefer to wait and see what it looks like before making arbitrary reasons why I would or wouldn't buy one.
post #37 of 47
Quote:

Why explain. If you are working, the bills being paid, not taking money from the household, saving a bit, then in my opinion she has no real argument to anything. I just dropped a grand on a new lens for my camera, and my wife didn't blink an eye because what is needed around the house is taken care of. When and if this tablet comes out, I am getting one. Price is not an object.
post #38 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

It's Kindle/Nook killer right out of here! You have my word on it!

Ever hear of content? Last time I checked, Amazon and B&N have the e-books locked up. Unless Apple can come up with a format that the publishers will like as well as the DRM to go with it, the tablet will probably only gain traction with the e-magazine and news paper set. Sooo, please forgive me for not taking your word on it.
post #39 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

Why explain. If you are working, the bills being paid, not taking money from the household, saving a bit, then in my opinion she has no real argument to anything. I just dropped a grand on a new lens for my camera, and my wife didn't blink an eye because what is needed around the house is taken care of. When and if this tablet comes out, I am getting one. Price is not an object.

It was more of a joke -- hence the laughing smiley.

Because in reality, I probably really don't need it, but I love gadgets
post #40 of 47
Quote:

It was more of a joke -- hence the laughing smiley.

Because in reality, I probably really don't need it, but I love gadgets

There are no such things as gadgets. THEY ARE TOOLS dammit. TOOLS.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple tablet could have 'imminent' Jan. 2010 debut - report