or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › NORAD helps children track Santa via iPhone, iPod touch
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

NORAD helps children track Santa via iPhone, iPod touch

post #1 of 37
Thread Starter 
With the help of NORAD, children can once again track Santa's current location via the Maps application on an Apple iPhone or iPod touch all day Thursday for Christmas Eve.

The coverage began at 2 a.m. Thursday and is integrated with Google Maps both on the Web and on mobile devices. iPhone and iPod touch users can launch the Maps application and simply search for "Santa" to see where he's located.

The North American Aerospace Defense Command has been holding the holiday event for more than 50 years. The tradition began in 1955, when an advertisement for children to call Santa accidentally printed the phone number for the commander in chief of NORAD's predecessor, CONAD.

In response, the director, Col. Harry Shoup, had his staff check the radar for where Santa was located. The children who called were given updates on his location, thus spawning the annual event. Shoup, a retired U.S. Air Force veteran, passed away this year at the age of 91.

Google and NORAD first partnered in 2007, bringing the holiday-themed service to Google Maps and the Google Earth program. Users can download the Google Earth plug-in at noradsanta.org. Google Earth is available for PC, Mac and Linux. In addition to a desktop application, Google Earth can also be accessed as a Safari plugin and a mobile iPhone application.

Additional tracking can be done through YouTube, where footage from NORAD's "Santa cams" is available, and real-time search on Google, which scans Twitter, Friendfeed, news, blogs and more. Twitter users can also get tweets from @noradsanta.
post #2 of 37
Never got the point of tracking somebody that doesn't exist.

"Hey, we are using sat tech to make it seems like his location really wasn't pulled out of our ass!"
post #3 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

Never got the point of tracking somebody that doesn't exist.

"Hey, we are using sat tech to make it seems like his location really wasn't pulled out of our ass!"

Kids pay no attention to this lying Scrooge.

Mac Pro Dual 2.8 Quad (2nd gen), 14G Ram, Two DVD-RW Drives, OS X 10.9
Mac Book Pro Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, SuperDrive, ATI X1600, 2GB RAM, OS X 10.7
1TB Time Capsule

Reply

Mac Pro Dual 2.8 Quad (2nd gen), 14G Ram, Two DVD-RW Drives, OS X 10.9
Mac Book Pro Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, SuperDrive, ATI X1600, 2GB RAM, OS X 10.7
1TB Time Capsule

Reply
post #4 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

With the help of NORAD, children can once again track Santa's current location via the Maps application on an Apple iPhone or iPod touch all day Thursday for Christmas Eve.

Light the Fires and Kick the Tires... We're at DEFCON 1!!!!

SAM locked on... FIRE!!!! KABOOM - DIRECT HIT, SMOKE THAT SUCKER...

Where's that red and white fluff coming from???

News Flash... 2010 NORAD will NOT be tracking Santa...

Snort, Yawn, Snort... "Wha?.. It's only a dream. Only a Dream!"

Merry Christmas to all!

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply
post #5 of 37
Happy Festivus!
post #6 of 37
too bad they couldn't track 2 747's flying into the world trade center.
post #7 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by satcomer View Post

Kids pay no attention to this lying Scrooge.

Should read Folks pay no attention to this lying Scrooge!
post #8 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

Never got the point of tracking somebody that doesn't exist.

"Hey, we are using sat tech to make it seems like his location really wasn't pulled out of our ass!"


You obviously haven't got kids - why spoil our fun ?
Where a calculator on the ENIAC is equpped with 18,000 vaccuum tubes and weighs 30 tons, computers in the future may have only 1,000 vaccuum tubes and perhaps weigh 1.5 tons.
by Popular Mechanics
Reply
Where a calculator on the ENIAC is equpped with 18,000 vaccuum tubes and weighs 30 tons, computers in the future may have only 1,000 vaccuum tubes and perhaps weigh 1.5 tons.
by Popular Mechanics
Reply
post #9 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_dog View Post

too bad they couldn't track 2 747's flying into the world trade center.

Bush wouldn't let them, inside job..
post #10 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by markm49uk View Post

You obviously haven't got kids - why spoil our fun ?

Even if I had kids, I wouldn't push that bull shit on them. And no, I'm not Jewish.
post #11 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

Even if I had kids, I wouldn't push that bull shit on them. And no, I'm not Jewish.

LOL, somehow it's better to feed them make-believe stories about a guy named Jesus?
post #12 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

Even if I had kids, I wouldn't push that bull shit on them. And no, I'm not Jewish.

Were you always on the naughty list ?
Where a calculator on the ENIAC is equpped with 18,000 vaccuum tubes and weighs 30 tons, computers in the future may have only 1,000 vaccuum tubes and perhaps weigh 1.5 tons.
by Popular Mechanics
Reply
Where a calculator on the ENIAC is equpped with 18,000 vaccuum tubes and weighs 30 tons, computers in the future may have only 1,000 vaccuum tubes and perhaps weigh 1.5 tons.
by Popular Mechanics
Reply
post #13 of 37
Is this the same group that claims that a man walked on the moon?
Cubist
Reply
Cubist
Reply
post #14 of 37
Shame on you for helping to betray the trust of children! Playing with the minds of the gullible little ones, huh? Honesty is the best policy and instill trust between parent and child. This encouraging of lies by Apple makes me sick. It is no different than telling them the the bogeyman will get them if they don't eat their veggies or that they will get to play harps in heaven with Jesus after they die if they accept Christ. How about an app for that?
post #15 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDTH View Post

Shame on you for helping to betray the trust of children! Playing with the minds of the gullible little ones, huh? Honesty is the best policy and instill trust between parent and child. This encouraging of lies by Apple makes me sick. It is no different than telling them the the bogeyman will get them if they don't eat their veggies or that they will get to play harps in heaven with Jesus after they die if they accept Christ. How about an app for that?

Oh lighten up, its just a bit of innocent fun. What on earth is the problem with encouraging a bit of make-believe? It enhances the imagination, which can only be a good thing for when they grow up.

I thought this was really cool, and I'm sure a lot of kids got a lot of enjoyment out of it.
post #16 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDTH View Post

Shame on you for helping to betray the trust of children! Playing with the minds of the gullible little ones, huh? Honesty is the best policy and instill trust between parent and child. This encouraging of lies by Apple makes me sick. It is no different than telling them the the bogeyman will get them if they don't eat their veggies or that they will get to play harps in heaven with Jesus after they die if they accept Christ. How about an app for that?


Encouraging of lies by Apple?

Hey, congrats on your first post!!!!! DA

I hope you don't tell your kids they can grow up to be president. And you sure as heck better not let them play in the sand box with a pail - they might build a castle.

Imagination and fantasy and hope are all part of life and it doesn't matter if it is Ra or some silly demon in a war game, it has been going on for thousands of years.

Take away imagination, fantasy and hope and I promise, you will die quickly - and live a pitiful existence until you go. And without all three you wouldn't have Apple.

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night!
OMG here we go again...
Reply
OMG here we go again...
Reply
post #17 of 37
Umm, in the screen shot, is that an iPhone running under T-Mobile service???
post #18 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabletop96 View Post

Umm, in the screen shot, is that an iPhone running under T-Mobile service???

hehe, I noticed the same thing.

Not that I don't like it, I am running under similar conditions...
post #19 of 37
Newt: "My mommy always said there were no monsters - no real ones - but there are."

Ripley: "Yes, there are, aren't there?"

Newt: "Why do they tell little kids that?"

Ripley: "Most of the time it's true."



Remember kids, Santa is coming tonight and he does have claws...


Muhahahalalalala :evil:
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
Reply
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
Reply
post #20 of 37
These are the same fools who still can't locate Osama bin Laden, but they can locate Santa Claus.
They couldn't track the the planes that flew into World Trade Center, but they can locate something that does not exist.

It all makes sense. Government existsnot to solve problem, but rather to create illusion of solution and imaginations. That is why it is called; "The American Dream".

Screw NORAD!!!
post #21 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc View Post

LOL, somehow it's better to feed them make-believe stories about a guy named Jesus?

Which is exactly what Christmas is.

FYI, Christmas is short for Christ's Mass, but Mass is about his death in April. So why do we even call it Christmas anyway? Huh???
post #22 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabletop96 View Post

Umm, in the screen shot, is that an iPhone running under T-Mobile service???

That's Apple's thinking of a Christmas present
post #23 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

Which is exactly what Christmas is.

FYI, Christmas is short for Christ's Mass, but Mass is about his death in April. So why do we even call it Christmas anyway? Huh???

"Christmas" is combined from "Christ" and "Mass" but "Mass" is the name for the Eucharistic celebration; generally considered to be a commemoration of the Last Supper, the final meal that Jesus Christ shared with his disciples before his arrest and eventual crucifixion. The consecration of bread and a cup within the rite recalls the moment at the Last Supper when Jesus gave his disciples bread, saying, "This is my body", and wine, saying, "This is my blood". etc., etc.

Catholic "Mass" is required to be celebrated on Christ's birthday (and Easter and every Sunday etc.), thus Christ+Mass = Christmas to set it apart from the others, just like Easter Sunday is so named.



And the reason why you should have this App to track Santa, is so he doesn't claws your chest open.

Santa is a Alien, he lays his eggs in your throat which feed off your body and grows into a snake that pops out of your chest when mature.

Then it runs off into the corners, with a team of marines following trying to kill it.

That's all you'll remember before your eyes glaze over, so be afraid, be very afraid. Feed it cookies and milk, perhaps it will go away and forget to lay his eggs.


Good night, sweet dreams.
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
Reply
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
Reply
post #24 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

"Christmas" is combined from "Christ" and "Mass" but "Mass" is the name for the Eucharistic celebration; generally considered to be a commemoration of the Last Supper, the final meal that Jesus Christ shared with his disciples before his arrest and eventual crucifixion. The consecration of bread and a cup within the rite recalls the moment at the Last Supper when Jesus gave his disciples bread, saying, "This is my body", and wine, saying, "This is my blood". etc., etc.

Catholic "Mass" is required to be celebrated on Christ's birthday (and Easter and every Sunday etc.), thus Christ+Mass = Christmas to set it apart from the others, just like Easter Sunday is so named.



And the reason why you should have this App to track Santa, is so he doesn't claws your chest open.

Santa is a Alien, he lays his eggs in your throat which feed off your body and grows into a snake that pops out of your chest when mature.

Then it runs off into the corners, with a team of marines following trying to kill it.

That's all you'll remember before your eyes glaze over, so be afraid, be very afraid. Feed it cookies and milk, perhaps it will go away and forget to lay his eggs.


Good night, sweet dreams.

Interesting...

I'm going to install the app on my iTouch now! Have a nice day, whether you celebrate the Winter Solstice or Christmas.
post #25 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

Never got the point of tracking somebody that doesn't exist.

"Hey, we are using sat tech to make it seems like his location really wasn't pulled out of our ass!"

It's unbearable when watching the "news" and the "personality" reading the final "story" shows "Santa's route around the world and where he'll be tonight".

There's enough superstitious cowdung in the world, without a consipiracy of "Santa pushers" warping the minds of children.

Merry Christmas everyone (Yes I celebrate secular Christmas)

PS. Don't get me started on "Happy Holidays", lol.
post #26 of 37
How did the " Beautiful Boobs" App make it through Apple's pristine screening censorship board?

Merry Christmas everybody!
post #27 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC4Theo View Post

These are the same fools who still can't locate Osama bin Laden, but they can locate Santa Claus.
They couldn't track the the planes that flew into World Trade Center, but they can locate something that does not exist.

It all makes sense. Government existsnot to solve problem, but rather to create illusion of solution and imaginations. That is why it is called; "The American Dream".

Screw NORAD!!!

Is Syrian Steve Jobs raised Christian or Muslim?
post #28 of 37
You people are a bunch of ass holes, aren't you now...?
post #29 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

Even if I had kids, I wouldn't push that bull shit on them. And no, I'm not Jewish.

If you had kids they would be pushing this bull fun on you. No, you are Amish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by markm49uk View Post

You obviously haven't got kids - why spoil our fun ?

He was born old and senile yesterday.
post #30 of 37
evil scrooge here, you are annoying, sad and full of bitter.

-
it's very nice for the USA to put a little fun in kiddies lifes. Of course one day you have to learn, no, santa doesn't exist, but it was a good time waiting for presents.

I prefer that America than the other one you try to force upon the world : the bitter sad america.


-
>Merry Christmas everyone (Yes I celebrate secular Christmas)
I'm not religious or whatever (christ ? god ? no sir, I don't need to believe in godly christ to understand compassion ), and yeah I celebrate a family christmas of course (a quiet one, simple).

>PS. Don't get me started on "Happy Holidays", lol.
I'm not a merry person , but again : yes I have happy holidays all the time.

Yes, you should also have happy holidays and every days. It's not a crime, not shameful, not bad, you still can be loved, noone will make a fool of you , you will not be more or less cool.

-
I understand, you see tv, ads, movies, or other and you think "happy is Law and Order" , but maybe you can take the reverse : it's just people trying to ask happy for others. okay, some may want to sell you stuffs, so what ? is it so bad ? can't you just ignore them and be happy with great friends ?

it's not that bad you have to be an evil scrooge.
post #31 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobringer View Post

You people are a bunch of ass holes, aren't you now...?

Either that or they are some miserable S.O.B's. Looks like a little of both.
Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
Reply
Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
Reply
post #32 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by milerich View Post

hehe, I noticed the same thing.

Not that I don't like it, I am running under similar conditions...

iPhones only run on T-Mobile in Germany.
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
post #33 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

iPhones only run on T-Mobile in Germany.

Does Apple allow a full multi-color logo? And it seems to be displayed too low, too. Maybe it’s a jailbroken phone? I’d have expected a “normal” T-Mobile iPhone to just display plain text for T-Mobile—the way it is with AT&T. Like this: http://stealthbravo.com/wp-content/u...e_t-mobile.jpg
post #34 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

iPhones only run on T-Mobile in Germany.

Not true.

Unlocked iPhones can run on T-Mobile USA's network although you have to use 2G for data services.

T-Mobile USA's 3G service run on incompatible frequencies.
post #35 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by city View Post

Is this the same group that claims that a man walked on the moon?

You mean NASA?
ALTER BRIDGE is the greatest rock band of today. Myspace || Street Team
Reply
ALTER BRIDGE is the greatest rock band of today. Myspace || Street Team
Reply
post #36 of 37
Research Shows the Importance of Imagination in Children's Cognitive Development
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...l?mod=djemWMPh
or
http://ets.dowjones.com/trk/click?re...34ba0dx141612&
post #37 of 37
NORAD never failed on tracking the path of Santa Claus for more than 55 years. Today it has become more exciting as google joined the search. The 2010 Santa System from North American Aerospace Defense Command has large plans. You will find only a few days left until the flight starts. Here is the proof: NORDA Santa Tracker 2010 partners with Google Maps There's plenty a lot more than basic radar tracking for the flight this year. Relationships with Google Maps and local school districts ensure the Santa Tracker stays up-to-date.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › NORAD helps children track Santa via iPhone, iPod touch