or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Evidence points to Apple's ownership of iSlate.com domain
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Evidence points to Apple's ownership of iSlate.com domain - Page 4

post #121 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Well granted it wasn't just the USA, but only the USA seems to remember the things fondly at all. Culturally, the term mostly references the little red schoolhouse kind of era of American History.

I can't claim any knowledge of foreign nostalgia, but I think it's correct to point out that the historical reference means little to anyone alive today. That fact alone may give the use of the name some perverse logic. A pod referred to nothing related to technology until Apple added the "i" and then it became a thing recognized the world over. So let's hear it for arbitrary words that attain cultural significance because one company wills it to be.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #122 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Dude, "books" fold, tablets do not.

Not e-books.
post #123 of 174
I've thought about this for a little while and even though some stupid people would make references to feminine products, I would settle with the term "iPad" for this device. In fact, I would be comfortable and enthusiastic about the name if it does turn out to be the "iPad".

If it won't be called the MacTouch and if Apple needs to continue to use the "i" moniker then let it please be called the iPad.

Simple, to the point, and it makes a statement. I like the iPad. I don't like the iSlate. The iSlate sounds like a rip off product from asia.
post #124 of 174
i think iSlate could be a ebook reader like Amazon Kindle i hope it aint a tablet
post #125 of 174
I like the meaning of the name iSlate, but I don't like the sound of it. And to be honest, not being native in English, I had to look up the word to understand it.

The problem is it's not catchy at all, and doesn't have an international appeal in its pronounciation. The whole start "ISL-" is a tongue twister. But then again, "MacBook Pro" is also an aweful name, but it's accepted now. Once it's introduced as iSlate it's going to be accepted.

I associate iSlate with
- Ice Late
- Isolate
- I slayed
- Is late
- It's late
- Ice latte
post #126 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

If it doesn't run the same OS X that Macs run, it won't be "Mac" anything.

Yeah, I agree with that. I'd like it to run OS X but the reality is that OS X only runs well on more modern processors. If this is a low power device with passive cooling, it'll be the iphone OS so can't be a Mac as you say. I really think multi-core ARM from PA Semi, possibly NVidia Tegra 2 (which can make it's way into the iphone 4G).

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Secondly, it won't end in "Touch" because that will cause too much confusion with the iPod Touch (which the majority of people stupidly call the iTouch). I see a small possibility of Touch-something, like "Touch Pro" or "TouchBook".

I liked the idea of iTouch simply because it would force people to correct themselves when using iTouch to refer to the iPod Touch.

They could also have something like Apple TouchPad. The use of the letter 'i' is getting a bit overused but on the other hand you know it's an Apple product.

Someone mentioned powerbook before and not liking the name change - I was the same - but PC sellers on eBay and even some retailers started using powerbook to describe their products. With MacBook they can't and people instinctively know it's a Mac.

The iPad could get confused with iPod with some heavy accents. Something like TouchPad doesn't but then again, people won't say Apple TouchPad so you lose the Apple connection. They say Apple TV because TV is too generic.

With MobileMe naming, they can call it the Apple TouchMe. That way when an attractive female Apple Store employee asks 'do you want a TouchMe?', I can innocently misinterpret what she's saying.

The words touch or feel I think are important to put in the name just like with the ipod touch.

I think it would be better in conversation saying 'can you pass me your TouchPad' than 'can you pass your iPad'. iSlate is just so much worse though. The first thing you read is 'is late' and maybe it's a pun on the fact that it's been cancelled a few times but slate is a harsh word.
post #127 of 174
By the way.. if this is a two years old name, one could only assume that they have come up with a lot of new (better) names on the way. So, it was probably called iSlate two years ago, but today it could potentially be called anything.
post #128 of 174
Apologies for the cross-posting, but I just had to share on this thread as well. Note the credits at the bottom, thanks for the idea!

post #129 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Typically when a poster is removed like that his posts are still there but only the admins can see them. It’s a global ignore list in vBulletin called Tachy Goes To Coventry that is slightly different from the personal ignore list since you can’t even see the placeholder for the post. You know if it has been invoked when you see an extra page for posts when there aren’t enough posts shown to create that page.

This does not mean that he still can’t post under his name, a poster sent to Coventry isn’t necessarily banned from using his account, but he may wonder why he isn’t getting responses and if checks the page from an account not logged in with his name he’ll notice that his posts don’t show up. I think his user name also states he’s in Coventry if he checks his profile status.

I’m not sure if there is a way to delete a user in vBeulletin and remove all their posts from the server.

SOrry for off topic
i had spoke to admin about 3rd strike complete wipe for people who just can't stop agitating
it helps show the whole board to cool down and respect each other .

it is build into the site's SW to delete any and all .
on the pink floyd site we did a few rare compete wipes
i searched for TS and cannot see him anywhere
not even a foot print

off off topic
how are YOU feeling dude ??


on topic

i feel the while line of tablets will have the SLATE moniker

slsate is a great name .. or was until we got a hold of it
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #130 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

The tablet will be called 'Mac touch' and that's the end of it.

So stick your iSlate in your iEye and watch your iSight go iByeBye.

hey whaere ya been ?? hiding ?? scotland ?
dude
you win
best name so far
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Dude, "books" fold, tablets do not.
king of the one liners strikes hard and fast
A touchscreen iPod is called an iPod touch, a touchscreen Mac (which I see it being) should be called Mac touch. K.I.S.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Just like paper died yeah?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Yeah, but now introducing Chalko-touch!

great one liners reminds me of ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Imagination always existed, so what.

welll i will think of a great retort to this .. i will i will .....hmm damn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Let's hope Apple's taste isn't as bad as yours. The name is dumb simply because it is. It's an objective truth.

ahh haaa objective truth. what does that =mean ??
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Names matter.

look at my sig
true true
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Apologies for the cross-posting, but I just had to share on this thread as well. Note the credits at the bottom, thanks for the idea!
looks so sweet huh ...

looks so sweet this mac touch does
i wonderr which market will hi jack this device and make it thier own
farmers
house wives gamers
lawyers doctors students
indian chiefs

peace and happy year to all

9
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #131 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

"Apple believed to have bought a nuclear reactor indicating a possible use in the company's much-rumored tablet device."

Apple would do no such thing.

It's a fusion reactor.
post #132 of 174
Mac Book Air was Apple's worst product name in their entire company history...

Until Friday when iSlate became the worst consumer product name ever conceived. Shame.
post #133 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Dude, "books" fold, tablets do not.

A touchscreen iPod is called an iPod touch, a touchscreen Mac (which I see it being) should be called Mac touch. K.I.S.S.

No matter how deeply deluded you are, this product is not going to be a touchscreen Mac. Sorry.
post #134 of 174
The part I find hilarious about this recent tablet speculation, is that not one person has bothered to comment on the key point,

"You will be surprised with how you interact with it."

Um, hello? Has this not caught anyone's attention? It should concern everyone, because this sentence does more than confirm a tactile feedback keyboard patent application from 4 years ago.

If this Tablet was primarily touch-based, how would that surprise anyone? The answer is, it wouldn't. If this rumor has any truth to it, and I have reason to believe it does, then we're truly in for a surprise. Be prepared for something absolutely ridiculous like using your iPhone to voice control, text control, ad hoc blue tooth VNC control your AppleT. (thats my name for it, the Apple T)

When the true interaction is unveiled, I predict a hushed silence across the tech world for a brief moment, followed by blood curddling screams from the fanbois who've been waiting their entire lives for this product.

EDIT: How about the "iSurf", ya know, cuz it's a surface and your surf the web with it..... ? Come on..
post #135 of 174
iJizz ... because you will too over it.
post #136 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

No matter how deeply deluded you are, this product is not going to be a touchscreen Mac. Sorry.

Don't be sorry.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #137 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post


"You will be surprised with how you interact with it."

Um, hello? Has this not caught anyone's attention?

Yes, everyone saw this. I smell reality distortion field. Let's not read too much into this crap, 99% chance we will not be surprised. Touchscreen Mac will some possible touchable bumps for a keyboard, big whoop. Let us see the thing and then I'll let you know what reaction I have. Don't listen to what Apple says (and yes I know they didn't say anything - or did they?) watch what they do.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #138 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

When I see the name iPad I get the mental picture of an Apple designed feminine hygiene product. Yech, maybe this comes form living in a house with 4 women but still not a name I would choose.

- I feel your pain, but I bet you wouldn't have it any other way!
post #139 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

I suspect that the name will end up being more like the ipod slate (to signify that it is using the iphone/pod OS and not the mac one) rather than just the islate.

but we shall see

Make sense somewhat. A while back, in another thread, someone talked about the possibility of the "rumored" tablet also having phone functionality. If it does then the name iPhoneSlate seems like it would be a possibility.
post #140 of 174
So, are we all going with "iPad"? Because I've settled in my mind that that particular name would be acceptable.
post #141 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

So, are we all going with "iPad"? Because I've settled in my mind that that particular name would be acceptable.

Even though I would like to see the new tablet have included phone functionality, I am not hopeful that it will happen. Therefore, I also see iPad as the most acceptable choice. But then again, what's acceptable to you and I, may be a total turn-off to S.J.
post #142 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranky View Post

Make sense somewhat. A while back, in another thread, someone talked about the possibility of the "rumored" tablet also having phone functionality. If it does then the name iPhoneSlate seems like it would be a possibility.

I think any rumour about phone capabilities probably stemmed from a rumour of is having cellular connectivity, meaning data only, even if VoIP was possible through a 3rd-party app.


PS: The idea of the tablet is so likely to everyone that we are no longer debating it’s validity, but debating the nomenclature of the soon to be announced device. That is a good sign.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #143 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I think any rumour about phone capabilities probably stemmed from a rumour of is having cellular connectivity, meaning data only, even if VoIP was possible through a 3rd-party app.


PS: The idea of the tablet is so likely to everyone that we are no longer debating its validity, but debating the nomenclature of the soon to be announced device. That is a good sign.

Can't and won't disagree with that. So let me ask you what you think of the practicality of the new tablet including phone functionality? Would that be loading it up with too much stuff or would it make it that much more usefull?
post #144 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranky View Post

Even though I would like to see the new tablet have included phone functionality, I am not hopeful that it will happen. Therefore, I also see iPad as the most acceptable choice. But then again, what's acceptable to you and I, may be a total turn-off to S.J.

Then let SJ be turned off by it! Because he has proven that while he is a genius at product design, he isn't too talented in the marketing department. Which is why he is a smart guy for surrounding himself with bright people.
It was Ken Segall from Apple marketing that named the "iMac" despite Jobs objections. In fact, jobs had a different name for the iMac that he insisted would be the name. It was so terrible that Ken had to plead and make his case for it to be the iMac. The old name was so embarrassingly stupid that up till now the old name wasn't released to the public. At least I don't know it. I guess Steve doesn't want to be embarrassed.

I just hope similar wisdom is being used to name this new product as well.
post #145 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranky View Post

Can't and won't disagree with that. So let me ask you what you think of the practicality of the new tablet including phone functionality? Would that be loading it up with too much stuff or would it make it that much more usefull?

I dont think it would happen. A large tablet as a cellular phone seems illogical to me so I wouldnt expect any cellular capabilities outside of data to be included.

Do you think it will have cellular data as standard or as an option? Will it be subsidized for those wanting to save $300 off the initial price? Will it be with AT&T, Verizon, or other? Will there be an internal card that can be added or removed to allow the device to work with various carriers or no carrier at all, somewhat like the original AirPort card in Macs being installed in the battery bay of PowerBooks?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #146 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

Then let SJ be turned off by it! Because he has proven that while he is a genius at product design, he isn't too talented in the marketing department. Which is why he is a smart guy for surrounding himself with bright people.

Didn't mean to imply that he would be turned off by it, only acknowledging the possibility. And yes, as you say he is a smart guy for surrounding himself with bright people. Thankfully he lets them do thier job as you pointed out below with regards to the iMac.

QUOTE - It was Ken Segall from Apple marketing that named the "iMac" despite Jobs objections. In fact, jobs had a different name for the iMac that he insisted would be the name. It was so terrible that Ken had to plead and make his case for it to be the iMac. The old name was so embarrassingly stupid that up till now the old name wasn't released to the public. At least I don't know it. I guess Steve doesn't want to be embarrassed.[/

QUOTE - I just hope similar wisdom is being used to name this new product as well.

I hope so also.
post #147 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranky View Post

Didn't mean to imply that he would be turned off by it, only acknowledging the possibility. And yes, as you say he is a smart guy for surrounding himself with bright people. Thankfully he lets them do thier job as you pointed out below with regards to the iMac.

QUOTE - It was Ken Segall from Apple marketing that named the "iMac" despite Jobs objections. In fact, jobs had a different name for the iMac that he insisted would be the name. It was so terrible that Ken had to plead and make his case for it to be the iMac. The old name was so embarrassingly stupid that up till now the old name wasn't released to the public. At least I don't know it. I guess Steve doesn't want to be embarrassed.[/

QUOTE - I just hope similar wisdom is being used to name this new product as well.

I hope so also.

That name was: Zune?

Knowing when youre wrong is a sign of wisdom. Its possible that the name wasnt that bad and that it wold now be as iconic as iMac had they went with it. I dont care for most of these names being thrown out, but I also dont care what its call so long as its a product I want and need.

Here is an interesting article about Steve Jobs seeing Jeff Bezos Segway. It gives some good insights into the Jobs personality and him as a visionary.
http://hbswk.hbs.edu/archive/3533.html
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #148 of 174
Is it just me, or is the rest of the industry about to let Apple run away with the tablet market? It sure feels like it. The only one creating a sustained buzz is Apple. Apple releases a tablet-like device, consumers and the industry are in awe of it, it sells like crazy, everyone else follows suit by trying to copy it, etc.
post #149 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Is it just me, or is the rest of the industry about to cede the tablet market to Apple? It sure feels like it. The only one creating a sustained buzz is Apple. Apple releases a tablet-like device, consumers and the industry are in awe of it, it sells like crazy, everyone else follows suit by trying to copy it, etc.

I kind of feel bad for everyone that has to announce products at CES just to have them forgotten and causing them to scramble once Apple hold their event. If its just a demo it may even give Apple a leg up on some innovative coding idea that others will showcase at CES.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #150 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I dont think it would happen. A large tablet as a cellular phone seems illogical to me so I wouldnt expect any cellular capabilities outside of data to be included.

Do you think it will have cellular data as standard or as an option? Will it be subsidized for those wanting to save $300 off the initial price? Will it be with AT&T, Verizon, or other? Will there be an internal card that can be added or removed to allow the device to work with various carriers or no carrier at all, somewhat like the original AirPort card in Macs being installed in the battery bay of PowerBooks?

In answer to your questions:

1. cellular data - hopefully a standard that you don't have to activate. but then if that were the case it would also have to have WiFi capability so that you could still use it as it was designed, albeit in a somewhat restricted fashion.

2. $300 subsidy - wouldn't that make the "initial" price somewhat misleading? But to answer your question, I don't know about that.

3. I'll have to combine the answer for your last two - hopefully one will be able to add an internal card that would let you choose the carrier of your choice or none at all if you intend to rely on the hopefully included WiFi capability.

I realize I am no expert. I got on this forum to ask questions and learn from the answers I get. Thanks for your help.
post #151 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That name was: Zune?

Knowing when you’re wrong is a sign of wisdom. It’s possible that the name wasn’t that bad and that it wold now be as iconic as iMac had they went with it. I don’t care for most of these names being thrown out, but I also don’t care what it’s call so long as it’s a product I want and need.

Here is an interesting article about Steve Jobs seeing Jeff Bezo’s Segway. It gives some good insights into the Jobs personality and him as a visionary.

http://hbswk.hbs.edu/archive/3533.html

I am also curious about what S.J. wanted to name the iMac. Given his talent, etc., I wonder if the name would have been a detriment to iMac sales if S.J. hadn't listened to Ken Segall?
post #152 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

It only feels like that on Apple forums. Currently HP, Dell, Asus, Sony and Fujitsu all make or have made tablets in the past. Currently they are 2-4% of the entire market. Even Apple has attempted this in the past with the Newton and it failed badly.

Only on Apple forums? I see hundreds, if not thousands of investment related blogs discussing an unannounced, unspecified and nameless product as THE game changing device and the funeral bell for all the Kindles, Nooks, etc. - even netbooks. Nobody can create such an amount of buzz without even hinting at a product announcement. I know at least 20 people (only 2 or 3 of them die-hard Mac addicts) that have canned the purchase of an eBook reader until they can see what Apple will offer. MS even went as far as releasing a fictional 3D video of their concept. For how long were blogs discussing it? Not even a week.

While most of this is completely out of proportion... there are two facts that can't be ignored: 1. Apple is the only player that got multi-touch right (with only the niche player Palm getting reasonably close). 2. They have an international distribution channel for content that absolutely no other player can match, a huge installed base of iTunes with real subscribers with real credit cards spending real money and willing to pay for content. If they get it right (product and price point), they will take the number one spot within a few months and nobody has got a chance to get in the way.

Most existing tablets are underpowered notebooks at lunatic price points. Too bulky for casual use, bad value for the money, no custom tailored applications and content (just desktop stuff forced into a different usage scenario). The past market acceptance is not necessarily a valid indicator for a product that gets it right. Neither HP, Dell, Asus, Sony nor Fujitsu do really understand content delivery. MS could get it right, if they would leave the phase of internal competition behind... but without a management change, this will not happen.
post #153 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep View Post

i searched for TS and cannot see him anywhere

he was on here for a little while this morning. I saw him listed in the active users.
post #154 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Is it just me, or is the rest of the industry about to let Apple run away with the tablet market? It sure feels like it. The only one creating a sustained buzz is Apple. Apple releases a tablet-like device, consumers and the industry are in awe of it, it sells like crazy, everyone else follows suit by trying to copy it, etc.

This is what annoys the hell out of me when comes to the rest of the tech INDUSTRY. Is everyone retarded besides Apple when it comes to industrial design for consumer electronics? I mean seriously!

My suspicion is that some competitor out there is about to lay the smackdown on Apple when CES begins. If not then I will be extremely disappointed. And if Apple does indeed runs away with this then the tech industry will get what it deserves.
post #155 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcalpin View Post

Why do some of you (like, two of you) think "iBook" makes any sense for a gadget that does not have two sides or folds closed?

THANK YOU. Amen. It will never be "iBook" (for the above reason).

Scratch "iSlate" too. Does not flow off the tongue well, and sounds way too much like "isolate," although "Apple Slate" (with the Apple symbol) would work well, IMO. Also, for those stuck on the "Pad" or "Touch" names, why not have the best of both worlds: the Apple "Touch Pad."

Personally speaking, Touch Pad ftw
post #156 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by iReality85 View Post

Personally speaking, Touch Pad ftw

Touch pad? Otherwise known as a Trackpad? Think it through man.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #157 of 174
I think they have worked out a deal with Mead, and it will be the iTrapperKeeper.
post #158 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by soward View Post

I think they have worked out a deal with Mead, and it will be the iTrapperKeeper.

ROFL!! Well played.
post #159 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranky View Post

In answer to your questions:

1. cellular data - hopefully a standard that you don't have to activate. but then if that were the case it would also have to have WiFi capability so that you could still use it as it was designed, albeit in a somewhat restricted fashion.

There seems to be five distinct ways they can go here.

1) WiFi only. (This would limit its usefulness for many)

2) WiFi + proprietary internal port for different carriers proprietary data cards. (I think its unlikely to go to that much trouble but its still a technical possibility even if extremely unlikely)

3) WiFi + paid for cellular data (This would limit its availability to many due to an increased TCO if contract is required while also limiting usefulness for those without a good cellular data connection for a specific mobile network operator. Unless they offer multiple HW versions this likely limits the carrier options)

4) WiFi + included cellular data (akin to the Kindles cellular data for subscription updates and iTS purchases but no internet access)

5) WiFi + included cellular data + option for paid for cellular data with included card (This is the combo I want, this way you can buy the product outright and get a data plan if needed without having to make an other HW investment)


Quote:
2. $300 subsidy - wouldn't that make the "initial" price somewhat misleading? But to answer your question, I don't know about that.

But it does make the initial price easier for many to swallow. If you arent going to get any other discount from your mobile network operator then you might as well take discount, even if it requires a contract since until Verizon upped their prices the cost or cancelation was less than the discount for the 3G data cards (at leas the last one I bought from AT&T).


Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

It only feels like that on Apple forums. Currently HP, Dell, Asus, Sony and Fujitsu all make or have made tablets in the past. Currently they are 2-4% of the entire market. Even Apple has attempted this in the past with the Newton and it failed badly.

All the tablets Ive used over the years have been horrible. Theyve all used a desktop version of Windows for the OS so I can understand why the uptake was always low. Look at the cellular market to see the smartphone market increasing in popularity specifically because of Apples emergence with a UI designed around the HW and the user, not trying to mimic a desktop OS like MS did with WinMo/CE.

The first newton went on sale over 16 years ago and stopped selling almost 12 years ago when Jobs, the one who is rumoured to have finally OKd" this mythical tablet, put an end to the line. I see nothing that suggests that history will repeat itself, which seems to be what you are implying.


Quote:
Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

Only on Apple forums? I see hundreds, if not thousands of investment related blogs discussing an unannounced, unspecified and nameless product as THE game changing device and the funeral bell for all the Kindles, Nooks, etc. - even netbooks.

Even my father mentioned Apples stock jump this week based on an unannounced product. If hes hearing about a rumoured Apple product then I have to expect that indigenous natives of the Amazon who have never seen modern man are well aware of this rumour, too.


Quote:
Originally Posted by iReality85 View Post

THANK YOU. Amen. It will never be "iBook" (for the above reason).

Scratch "iSlate" too. Does not flow off the tongue well, and sounds way too much like "isolate," although "Apple Slate" (with the Apple symbol) would work well, IMO. Also, for those stuck on the "Pad" or "Touch" names, why not have the best of both worlds: the Apple "Touch Pad."

Personally speaking, Touch Pad ftw

There are plenty of eReaders with the word Book in them so I dont think that saying never should be used. I dont think that the term Mac can be used without having it use Mac OS X and have access to all Mac apps. I dont think that it should use any thing with a lowercase i unless it will fit in your pocket. I think starting with Apple" is the most likely nomenclature at this time if we must assume it will follow current convention.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #160 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranky View Post

Didn't mean to imply that he would be turned off by it, only acknowledging the possibility. And yes, as you say he is a smart guy for surrounding himself with bright people. Thankfully he lets them do thier job as you pointed out below with regards to the iMac.

QUOTE - It was Ken Segall from Apple marketing that named the "iMac" despite Jobs objections. In fact, jobs had a different name for the iMac that he insisted would be the name. It was so terrible that Ken had to plead and make his case for it to be the iMac. The old name was so embarrassingly stupid that up till now the old name wasn't released to the public. At least I don't know it. I guess Steve doesn't want to be embarrassed.[/

QUOTE - I just hope similar wisdom is being used to name this new product as well.

I hope so also.

The way everyone on these boards has been "screaming" for this device to happen it would almost be appropriate to name it iScream, i.e. I scream, you scream, we all scream for iScream !
Apple is not Appl ...... Please learn the difference!    
Reply
Apple is not Appl ...... Please learn the difference!    
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Evidence points to Apple's ownership of iSlate.com domain