or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Evidence points to Apple's ownership of iSlate.com domain
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Evidence points to Apple's ownership of iSlate.com domain - Page 5

post #161 of 174
iSlate is not the tablet. The tablet will be called MacTablet the iSlate will be the new touch keyboard/input device we've been hearing about.
post #162 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

There seems to be five distinct ways they can go here.


5) WiFi + included cellular data + option for paid for cellular data with included card (This is the combo I want, this way you can buy the product outright and get a data plan if needed without having to make an other HW investment)

This is the one I like the best. It would be the most versatile and could go along way towards further solidifying Apple's rep for customer satisfaction.
post #163 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbee View Post

The way everyone on these boards has been "screaming" for this device to happen it would almost be appropriate to name it iScream, i.e. I scream, you scream, we all scream for iScream !

post #164 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

So, are we all going with "iPad"? Because I've settled in my mind that that particular name would be acceptable.

I've changed my mind from what I said in post #136 because as someone else said in another post, either on this thread or another, iPad = Tampon. Not a parallel S. J. would want drawn.
post #165 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

You have no clue if history is going to repeat itself because we don't know what Apple is going to release. Apple could release something with the iPhone OS on it which wouldn't give many a reason to buy it. Also we don't know the size or cost of the Tablet which are both major factors.

Right now we have nothing more then hype and rumor.

We don’t know but we can infer the likelihood of many things based on the history.

For starters, it won’t have iPhone OS on it because to simply plop the IPhone OS onto a tablet device that is much larger than 3.5”, has presumably more power and HW, thus allowing for more uses and needing frameworks and apps not in iPhone OS, nor altering the UI to accommodate the screen size and optimize for usability is something Apple has no history of doing.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #166 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranky View Post

I've changed my mind from what I said in post #136 because as someone else said in another post, either on this thread or another, iPad = Tampon. Not a parallel S. J. would want drawn.

MadTV iPad (iPod Parody) (video)
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #167 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranky View Post

I've changed my mind from what I said in post #136 because as someone else said in another post, either on this thread or another, iPad = Tampon. Not a parallel S. J. would want drawn.

Well a tampon you insert- it's not a pad.
You must mean a KOTEX. http://www.kotex.com/na/Products.aspx
post #168 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

I don't think we can use history to come to any conclusion in this case. Apple has to try and hit a very narrow sweet spot with this offering. With most "rumors" bringing this in at about 699.00 there is no way its going to have the hardware or OSX features that will take away from Macbook sales. Form factor or not Apple isn't going to put out a product at 699.00 that takes away sales of a 999.00 Macbook.

On the other end if this Tablet turns out to be nothing more then an e-reader with a new UI and a bigger screen I find it a hard sell to users that already have an iPhone or Touch.

So the big question is what will this Tablet have to offer to Apple users that already have a Macbook/MBP along with an iPhone or Touch.

There doesn't appear to be that much of a need for product that fits between an iPhone and a Macbook.

Excellent points. I'm not so sure that I agree completely on all of them, but I cannot intelligently argue against any of them. You've given me more to think about. Thanks
post #169 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

On the other end if this Tablet turns out to be nothing more then an e-reader with a new UI and a bigger screen I find it a hard sell to users that already have an iPhone or Touch.

If it’s "nothing more then an e-reader” then you have a point, but I can’t imagine it being just an eReader. We already have other tablets preparing to launch with colour displays capable of video and we have official word from publishers that they want to save their dying business model by going digital

I wouldn’t expect anything like the Kindle or Nook. I wouldn’t expect anything that is currently labeled primarily as an “e-reader”. While history has several examples of ideas apparently forming at the same time, yet independently, I’d wager that the publishers recent push to create a standard for digital distribution was not one of those times.

Quote:
So the big question is what will this Tablet have to offer to Apple users that already have a Macbook/MBP along with an iPhone or Touch.

There doesn't appear to be that much of a need for product that fits between an iPhone and a Macbook.

I miss having daily newspapers and magazines. I don’t want to bother with print media and I don’t like the crap of free ad-supported sites that are mostly blogs whose focus is besting each other by seconds in Google News over quality of content. I’d pay for real media to rise again on a digital platform if that meant a tablet device would have auto-download my subscriptions like a Podcast and have them ready for me to read when I pick it up in at the breakfast table, on the couch, in bed, the bed, subway, etc. Having a laptop on a bus or subway can be cumbersome and a phone or PMP for heavy reading isn’t ideal.


PS: I agree with Cranky. You have well thought out doubts about this product category. They are very similar to my initial objections to this device before PixelQI displays, and the publishers rumour appeared.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #170 of 174
Took a day off from the computer to relax, and came back this morning to read all the comments after my (and others) posting about the new "iBook" being a plausible name, and being an idiot for logically considering it.

Call me an idiot or what you will, but I'm still going with iBook due to simplicity, Apple owning the name already, and it's easy inclusion in their current line-up.

iPod
iPhone
iBook

Consider that Apple is an international brand now, not just American. iSlate is a very difficult word to explain and to pronounce in many languages. Also, it is a definite Rockwell-esque Americanism.

IF iSlate is the chosen name, it will effectively be called something different in probably every non-native-English-speaking land in the world. Apples international marketing departments will absolutely HATE iSlate! If it is called iBook... no explanation necessary, since it is a global well-known word... like PHONE, or MAP, or Street, etc.

Brings to mind bad car names when translated:
http://www.electronicsweekly.com/blo...del-names.html

Slate, when Wiki'd turns up the rock variety as it's first entry.
Click on different languages, and you get:

German = Schiefer
French = Schiste (oh brother!)
Spanish = Pizarra (oh no Part II)
Italian = Ardesia

Now try "book":

German = Buch
French = Livre
Spanish = Libro
Italian = Libro
*Latin = Liber

BTW, when choosing "book", you will also be given within the very first couple of paragraphs an explanation of both traditional books... as well as ebooks!

Once unveiled, and if it truly does not fold in any way (even a protective lid/cover might be useful), and it's primary purpose is to access content on the web, or "read (and watch) collections of literary works" i.e. ebooks and emagazines...

...please tell me AGAIN why I (we) are IDIOTS for highly considering the logical name of iBook?

It certainly can not be because a help desk might need to ask, "the new iBook, or the G4 laptop?"... since all Apple products are sub-classified as far as I know, as in "Early 2008" or "Jan2006"; G3 or G3s, etc.

Nor because it's an "old, unsexy, and used" name: for a product previously and exclusively tied to Apple very successfully I might add.

Regardless of name, it will be successful... but even more so if its qualities and features are talked about in sound bites, rather than its silly name taking up valuable time (think about that!).

Anyway, I take exception to being called an "idiot" for thinking logically and globally, and within my professional expertise, in a guessing-game for a yet-to-be-seen device!

And believe me... I would have no problem whatsoever incurring the wrath of SJ telling him why iSlate is NOT the way to go. Hopefully someone at Apple still has the balls to do the same!
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
post #171 of 174
Tablets will eventually replace notebooks. It'll take years, but that's where Apple is headed, and even at this early stage they'll release a tablet like none that has been seen or experienced before. Forget everything you know about tablets, all their shortcomings, all their problems. It's all about to change. Apple is excellent at redefining and popularizing current technological ideas and paradigms that aren't being exploited correctly.
post #172 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Tablets will eventually replace notebooks. It'll take years, but that's where Apple is headed, and even at this early stage they'll release a tablet like none that has been seen or experienced before. Forget everything you know about tablets, all their shortcomings, all their problems. It's all about to change. Apple is excellent at redefining and popularizing current technological ideas and paradigms that aren't being exploited correctly.

You may be right, but we have yet to see a technology that can replace a physical keyboard for excessive typing. The ability to use a physical keyboard and trackpad that isnt using half the display and it requiring you to either hold your arms out to have a display in front you or look down to have your hands in a natural position is still the best option. I havent even seen a concept that works better than what we have now.

Its almost as if well have to get rid of the idea of typing altogether for the paradigm to change.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #173 of 174
All that would have made sense except that there are a million Apple iBooks currently in use. It won't be iBook.

What next? The new Motorola smartphone to be called "StarTAC"? The new Diet beverage from Coke to be called "Tab"? The new Sony TV to be called "Trinitron"? This makes zero sense, except to someone unfamiliar with the fact that Apple already had an iBook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

Took a day off from the computer to relax, and came back this morning to read all the comments after my (and others) posting about the new "iBook" being a plausible name, and being an “idiot” for logically considering it.

Call me an “idiot” or what you will, but I'm still going with iBook due to simplicity, Apple owning the name already, and it's easy inclusion in their current line-up.

iPod
iPhone
iBook

Consider that Apple is an international brand now, not just American. iSlate is a very difficult word to explain and to pronounce in many languages. Also, it is a definite Rockwell-esque Americanism.

IF iSlate is the chosen name, it will “effectively” be called something different in probably every non-native-English-speaking land in the world. Apple’s international marketing departments will absolutely HATE iSlate! If it is called iBook... no explanation necessary, since it is a global well-known word... like PHONE, or MAP, or Street, etc.

Brings to mind bad car names when translated:
http://www.electronicsweekly.com/blo...del-names.html

Slate, when Wiki'd turns up the rock variety as it's first entry.
Click on different languages, and you get:

German = Schiefer
French = Schiste (oh brother!)
Spanish = Pizarra (oh no Part II)
Italian = Ardesia

Now try "book":

German = Buch
French = Livre
Spanish = Libro
Italian = Libro
*Latin = Liber

BTW, when choosing "book", you will also be given within the very first couple of paragraphs an explanation of both traditional books... as well as ebooks!

Once unveiled, and if it truly does not fold in any way (even a protective lid/cover might be useful), and it's primary purpose is to access content on the web, or "read (and watch) collections of literary works" i.e. ebooks and emagazines...

...please tell me AGAIN why I (we) are IDIOTS for highly considering the logical name of “iBook”?

It certainly can not be because a help desk might need to ask, "the new iBook, or the G4 laptop?"... since all Apple products are sub-classified as far as I know, as in "Early 2008" or "Jan2006"; G3 or G3s, etc.

Nor because it's an "old, unsexy, and used" name: for a product previously and exclusively tied to Apple very successfully I might add.

Regardless of name, it will be successful... but even more so if it’s qualities and features are talked about in sound bites, rather than it’s silly name taking up valuable time (think about that!).

Anyway, I take exception to being called an "idiot" for thinking logically and globally, and within my professional expertise, in a guessing-game for a yet-to-be-seen device!

And believe me... I would have no problem whatsoever incurring the wrath of SJ telling him why iSlate is NOT the way to go. Hopefully someone at Apple still has the balls to do the same!
post #174 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

All that would have made sense except that there are a million Apple iBooks currently in use. It won't be iBook.

What next? The new Motorola smartphone to be called "StarTAC"? The new Diet beverage from Coke to be called "Tab"? The new Sony TV to be called "Trinitron"? This makes zero sense, except to someone unfamiliar with the fact that Apple already had an iBook.

I am familiar that there are iBooks still in use... possibly even more than a mil. There a probably many more millions of original and classic iPods as well.

It didn't keep Apple from introducing the new touch format as the "iPod Touch" now did it?! Considering that it's completely different than any iPod before it, and is closer to the iPhone in reality.

Within your narrow thinking... should they have called it by a new name, like iGamer or something like that?

Your argument still doesn't hold any logic, as it applies to Apple... and only Apple products. You could be right though that it won't fold or have any folding parts. See the recent news posting re: "" here http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...hreadid=105780
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Evidence points to Apple's ownership of iSlate.com domain