or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Evidence points to Apple's ownership of iSlate.com domain

Evidence points to Apple's ownership of iSlate.com domain - Page 3

post #81 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcalpin View Post

I agree. The only thing that would make it better is if people would stop talking about him or making fun of him, too.

Point taken, though I don’t think my comment in post #61 was making fun of him so much as using hyperbole to make a clear point about a product name being unimportant if it fits my needs.

PS: There are at least 5 posts on this thread from a poster in Coventry.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #82 of 174
It's only a matter of time before the actual name leaks. With so many people and shops in on the marketing, packaging, manufacture, testing, etc., the name will out. Someone will talk. I predict this will finally happen a couple of weeks before the event.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
post #83 of 174
My $.02:

iSlate is terrible. What's a slate? If you have to justify it by looking it up in the dictionary/thesaurus, it's a bad name.

Newton is good, but already used. Perhaps another famous scientist/artist/philosopher?

Someone said Palette. I like that. Like a blank canvas or a bunch of colors ready for you to make something beautiful. Pal for short... like a friend.

iPad=tampon.

iBook is good too, but also already used. Maybe? Instead of an eBook get the iBook. Eh.

iTab. No. Reminds me of guitar tabs. iTablet=too long.

Anything with Mac in it is a no-go. This is meant to be sold to everyone (like the iPhone/iPod), not just MacAddicts. "Mac" has negative connotations to loyal PC users. They'll immediately think it's incompatible/childish/whatever.

Although not my favorite, I bet $5 that it'll be the new iBook.

iPod, iPhone, iBook.

Mid 2010 Mac Mini with SSD, iPhone 6, AppleTVs, iPad 2.

-------------------------------------------------------
Mac user since 1996 ("The Dark Days")

post #84 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by snailer View Post

So what if they don't own the url? They don't own a lot of the domain names named after some of their most important products, and they own domain names of non-products. I really think it will be named * iBook Touch *

It won't be 2 words. It will be a single word. A single noun. An object wholly itself.

"Dude, hand me my iBook Touch".
"Dude, hand me my Mac Touch".

Sounds like you are in a commercial. Same thing annoys me about anything made my Microsoft. "Microsoft Windows". "Windows Explorer". "Windows Media Player". "Windows everything". Of course it's Microsoft and of course it's Windows. Adding those words just makes it redundant and advertising. I don't want to be in a commercial for free.

"Dude, hand me my iBook".

Much better.

post #85 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHateRegistering View Post

iSlate is terrible. What's a slate? If you have to justify it by looking it up in the dictionary/thesaurus, it's a bad name.

But what is a pod? Marketing isnt necessarily about a name that makes the most sense or has the most definitions that fit the term.

I thought slate was slate was commonly known as something you write on and a clean slate was a common analogy for erasing the past to start anew.

Quote:
Newton is good, but already used. Perhaps another famous scientist/artist/philosopher?

Newton is associated with an apple but dont know of anyone else in those areas who is. Any ideas?

Quote:
Someone said Palette. I like that. Like a blank canvas or a bunch of colors ready for you to make something beautiful. Pal for short... like a friend.

I like it, too, but since palette is already commonly used in computing with software I dont think it makes for a good name and Id wager that Apples marketing would find the term unpalatable fpr that reason.

Quote:
iBook is good too, but also already used. Maybe? Instead of an eBook get the iBook.

iBook was in use but there has no product of that name for several years. The problem I have with the term is that a tablet device likely wont fold like a book and using the term book might pigeon hole it into a mental classification that doesnt serve multimedia well. Then again, the MacBook and McBook Pro have book in their name and are known for their multimedia capabilities.

Quote:
iTablet=too long.

Palette is just as long.

Quote:
]Anything with Mac in it is a no-go. This is meant to be sold to everyone (like the iPhone/iPod), not just MacAddicts. "Mac" has negative connotations to loyal PC users. They'll immediately think it's incompatible/childish/whatever.

I agree with your initial statement, just not your reasoning. I think if you call it Mac it has to run a full version of Mac OS X, which means it can run all my Mac apps just as easily as me porting my apps from one Mac to another. I think calling it an Apple Name or iName automatically gives the user the impression that its not full fledged PC but a complementary device for your PC. I expect this to sync via iTunes like all the iDevices and AppleTV.

PS: Perhaps we need a tabula rasa for our preconceptions. (See what i did there?)
post #86 of 174
Quote:

It won't be 2 words. It will be a single word. A single noun. An object wholly itself.

"Dude, hand me my iBook Touch".
"Dude, hand me my Mac Touch".

Sounds like you are in a commercial. Same thing annoys me about anything made my Microsoft. "Microsoft Windows". "Windows Explorer". "Windows Media Player". "Windows everything". Of course it's Microsoft and of course it's Windows. Adding those words just makes it redundant and advertising. I don't want to be in a commercial for free.

"Dude, hand me my iBook".

Much better.

Dude, "books" fold, tablets do not.

A touchscreen iPod is called an iPod touch, a touchscreen Mac (which I see it being) should be called Mac touch. K.I.S.S.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #87 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

iBook was in use but there has no product of that name for several years.

This is untrue. The difference here with Newton is that there are millions of iBooks still in use. There is a product with that name in widespread use today. It will not be called iBook.
post #88 of 174
Quote:

But what is a pod?

Pod = "POrtable Device, sometimes referred to as "pod," a partial backronym constructed from digital media". I think the shocker at the time was it didn't have the word "Mac" in it. Pod itself isn't bad. What did it originally do? A music player, portable hard drive, and basic utilities. Not exactly a PDA, but a POD.

Quote:

Palette is just as long.

OK you got me; I just don't like the name iTab or iTablet or Tablet Anything. Tablets have been a failure in the market. Do they really want to call this device one? Isn't this going to be a new and different device? Ta-blah!

Quote:

I agree with your initial statement, just not your reasoning. I think if you call it Mac it has to run a full version of Mac OS X, which means it can run all my Mac apps just as easily as me porting my apps from one Mac to another. I think calling it an Apple Name or iName automatically gives the user the impression that its not full fledged PC but a complementary device for your PC. I expect this to sync via iTunes like all the iDevices and AppleTV.

Yes, all that too.

post #89 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

A touchscreen iPod is called an iPod touch, a touchscreen Mac (which I see it being) should be called Mac touch. K.I.S.S.

It won't be a Mac. It won't run Mac OS X software. If I'm wrong I will eat my hat.
post #90 of 174
Quote:

Not for long.

post #91 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Records show that Apple has owned the iSlate.com domain name since 2007, indicating a possible name for the company's much-rumored tablet device.

Apple has owned the domain iSlate.com since at least 2007 according to records discovered by MacRumors. The domain was registered in 2007 through MarkMonitor, a domain registrar and trademark protection service that has handled domains for companies such as Google, Yahoo and Apple.

Apple's ownership of the domain was displayed for several weeks in late 2007 before being quickly changed back to MarkMonitor. Currently the domain does not point to a website.

In October, Bill Keller, executive editor at the New York Times, made mention of an "impending Apple slate" during a presentation to the newspaper's digital staff:

"We need to figure out the right journalistic product to deliver to mobile platforms and devices. I'm hoping we can get the newsroom more actively involved in the challenge of delivering our best journalism in the form of Times Reader, iPhone apps, WAP, or the impending Apple slate, or whatever comes after that."

Rumors of Apple's forthcoming tablet device have been circulating for years but have reached a critical mass as of the end of 2009. Many expect the device to be announced early in 2010 with the tablet entering mass production as early as February.

One observation: Bill Keller is dryer than burnt toast as far as presenters go.
post #92 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

This is untrue. The difference here with Newton is that there are millions of iBooks still in use. There is a product with that name in widespread use today. It will not be called iBook.

Im sure there are a more iBooks in use than there were Newtons sold, but I think iBook could work. I agree that its still too early for that name to be recycled but my comment was to the name actively being marketed by Apple, not a device that is still used but will have stopped being sold 4 years before this mythical tablet is rumoured to launch.

Quote:

Pod = "POrtable Device, sometimes referred to as "pod," a partial backronym constructed from digital media". I think the shocker at the time was it didn't have the word "Mac" in it. Pod itself isn't bad. What did it originally do? A music player, portable hard drive, and basic utilities. Not exactly a PDA, but a POD.

That is a good answer but that is clearly a backronym. Its interesting that acronyms and initialisms were virtually non-existence prior to the 20th century.
post #93 of 174
Quote:

That is a good answer but that is clearly a backronym. Its interesting that acronyms and initialisms were virtually non-existence prior to the 20th century.

Love your posts. Every time I have to do a Google/Wikipedia search to figure out what you're talking about. I learn a little, even if I still disagree, and it passes the time while I'm at work!

post #94 of 174
Quote:

Wow, Chalko-touch!

This iSlate be in the shape of iSuperman badge

Not chalk. That is what you get if you lightly scratch a piece of slate with a sharp object - in this case the pointy enfd of a sharp stone.
post #95 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I think it's a brilliant name. 'Slate' has so many rich, varied meanings related to the functionality of the tablet that is being rumored.

See http://thesaurus.reference.com/browse/slate

My only concern is that there is going to be a lawsuit from slate.com about name confusion, and that could slow things down. (I vaguely recall that iPhone was the object of a similar lawsuit?).

iSlate.com might have been more of a problem when Microsoft owned Slate (via MSNBC)...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6741936/
post #96 of 174
iPad sounds too much the same as iPod. Not going to happen.

And someone above belittled people who called the iPod touch the ITouch when he/she called it the iPod Touch! lol

iPod touch
iPod nano
iPod shuffle
iPod classic

I have no idea what the new "tablet" will be called. Do we even know if it's going to BE in a tablet form factor?

A lot of people are putting emphasis on it being a book reader. I believe this will do everything we need done that can't be done easily by an iPhone or iPod touch, or by a MacBook or MacBook Pro.

And what is that? Ask Steve. He knows. And I'll bet that it will sell well. The MBA hasn't sold as much as some would have liked, but it fills a niche that those who buy it have wanted in a long time.

So might this mythical tablet. It could sell like the iPhone or be a nice niche product for those who want/need it.

iPod? I think it's a great name. New and unique when it came out.

So, whatever the name, it is the product that counts.

I'll have a good laugh when NOTHING comes out in 2010 that resembles anything like the "tablet" and no one has come up with the iWhere?

Cheers and happy holidays!
post #97 of 174

They should just call it "Ta-Dah"

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #98 of 174
Quote:

Not for long.

Just like paper died yeah?
post #99 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

Not chalk. That is what you get if you lightly scratch a piece of slate with a sharp object - in this case the pointy enfd of a sharp stone.

Yeah, but now introducing Chalko-touch!
post #100 of 174
Quote:

There's absolutely no way it will be iBook. This could lead to legal problems and lots of confusion. Can you imagine a customer to a tech, "I need help with my iBook" and the tech assumes the customer means the new tablet, but the customer actually has an iBook G4? This is a disaster waiting to happen, and I think anyone who thinks "iBook" is a possibility for the new tablet is an idiot.

What legal problems? And no confusion that couldn't be solved with the same question for any other of Apple's product: "Which model iBook do you own?" "Oh, the G4 one".

Done.

Quote:
I think it's going to be the Apple Slate. It just sounds way better than iSlate. I don't think there will be legal problems with Slate.com because it's a totally different product, online magazine vs. hardware. Apple would reach an agreement with Slate.com if necessary.

Right, because a hardware product with the name Slate that is expected to support magazine subscriptions wont be at all confusing with Slate the online magaine. Who were you calling idiot?
post #101 of 174
Mac Touch or Macpad.
post #102 of 174
Quote:

Just like paper died yeah?

This device will certainly help.

You don't think, unless we blow ourselves up in nuclear war, that the use of paper will continue to decline to a point where we rarely use it?

I can imagine a time where it's only used as an art medium or for fancy nostalgic books (however, most literature will be in e-version).

post #103 of 174
Quote:

This device will certainly help.

You don't think, unless we blow ourselves up in nuclear war, that the use of paper will continue to decline to a point where we rarely use it?

I can imagine a time where it's only used as an art medium or for fancy nostalgic books (however, most literature will be in e-version).

Imagination always existed, so what.
post #104 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Mac Touch or Macpad.

As good a guess as any, including mine. It seems likely to be using the iPhone OS, so is part of that family of products. As such I expect some name linkage to either the iPhone or iPod Touch. I doubt it will be linked to any laptop family name--products that use Mac OS X. Or, as others have speculated, it'll have a completely new name, as the progenitor of an entirely new line of products.
post #105 of 174
IF this is indeed the name, I think it is a good one. My first reaction wasn't overly enthusiastic, but after a moment, I realized it would be very suitable...

For those thinking it is a crap name or that "a slate is a rock" then think again. For one thing, "A slate" isn't "a rock", though slate is a type of rock. But the primary thing I thought of before thinking of slates like those tiling my roof, is the little individual blackboards that every child carried to school a hundred years ago.

A book you open, hence iBook. A pad you would flip open too, so iPad wouldn't work. A slate you would scrawl right on top of, always interacting with the outer surface -- even flipping it over and using the other side.
post #106 of 174
There's always the apple variety series: Macintosh, Newton, Pippen (all used). Any thoughts on which apple variety implies the new device's function?

If not function, then as a marketing appeal? Fuji might cater to the Japanese market. Gala to our gay brothers and sisters. Jonathan has a nice friendly ring to it. But Adam does too. ;-). Winesap for substance abusers? Delicious might be covered by that software maker's patents, but Golden Delicious might not. Crab? Well, it's little and has a hard shell. Granny Smith might appeal to computer-phobic retirees. Northern Spy for Yankees? Rome, because it will found a new empire of devices? Arkansas Black? Maybe just a little too narrow a sector.
post #107 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by krabbelen View Post

IF this is indeed the name, I think it is a good one. My first reaction wasn't overly enthusiastic, but after a moment, I realized it would be very suitable...

Let's hope Apple's taste isn't as bad as yours. The name is dumb simply because it is. It's an objective truth.
post #108 of 174
Quote:

IF this is indeed the name, I think it is a good one. ... the primary thing I thought of before thinking of slates like those tiling my roof, is the little individual blackboards that every child carried to school a hundred years ago.

I thought the same at first, but the more I hear it, the dumber and clunkier "iSlate" sounds. I agree that the evidence is pointing towards that being the name, but I think it's a poor choice. Apple has been making some really dumb and déclassé moves lately though so it's not beyond the realm of possibility that they would pick "iSlate."

If they do pick it, it's obviously meant to key into the colonial "school slates" as you mention above, but this is a very particular, very time isolated, and very American reference. For those reasons "iSlate" is as bad a choice for a new tablet computer, as naming a new type of car the "Ben Franklin" would be.

Quote:

... A book you open, hence iBook. A pad you would flip open too, so iPad wouldn't work. ...

I tend to disagree with you here also as I don't think a "pad" (of paper) is generally flipped open nowadays, most have no front cover.

Given that the tablet is trying to replace things like an artists pad, a writing pad, a steno pad, or any clipboard (usually with some pad or stack of paper attached), I think "iPad" is clearly the best choice. Even a book is really just a pad of paper. It also neatly fits with their mobile nomenclature in that it's a single syllable word that begins with a small "i" and big "P."

- iPod
- iPhone
- iPad

Despite the unfortunate menstrual pad reference that people keep bringing up, "iPad" rolls off the tongue a lot easier and actually references the tools and the media that the device is purporting to replace.

"iSlate" is probably what they are going with, but IMO it's a mistake. It's a clunky old-timey name that references an era of American history that most Americans are unaware of, let alone anyone else.
post #109 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

If they do pick it, it's obviously meant to key into the colonial "school slates" as you mention above, but this is a very particular, very time isolated, and very American reference. For those reasons "iSlate" is as bad a choice for a new tablet computer, as naming a new type of car the "Ben Franklin" would be.

Believe it or not, children used slates in schools at other times and in other places than colonial America. They were in persistent use everywhere until the early part of the 20th century, at least.

The reason why this is a bad name for the Apple product is because it denotes heavy, primitive, and very limited function. The only reason it seems anyone is even talking about this name is because so many media writers don't seem to know what other name to use to describe a product they haven't seen, and have no idea how it will look or function. It's caught on by default -- otherwise, it makes no sense at all.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #110 of 174
Who cares about the name. Have credit card, will purchase. Hurry up Apple and drop this thing. I will be in the States during Feb and March. Hopefully just in time to pick up one or two.
post #111 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

Who cares about the name.

Names matter.
post #112 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Believe it or not, children used slates in schools at other times and in other places than colonial America. They were in persistent use everywhere until the early part of the 20th century, at least. ....

Well granted it wasn't just the USA, but only the USA seems to remember the things fondly at all. Culturally, the term mostly references the little red schoolhouse kind of era of American History.

Anyway, I would still argue it's a horrible choice to name a product after something that no living person can remember using. You might see a slate in a Norman Rockwell painting, and in the 1950's the name would have some nostalgic appeal, but most people alive today have no idea that a "slate" was a thing you used in school to write on.

You only have to look at forums discussing the name to see that half of the posters don't understand where the reference comes from. Worse, some are looking it up in the Thesaurus and coming up with the wrong meaning, because it's a term in such disuse that it only rates as the third or fourth reference in the online Dictionaries and Thesauri being used.
post #113 of 174
Quote:

Names matter.

Show me one instance where the name of something affected its functionality. So if an iPod suddenly becomes aeöwlqjr9queq, it will no longer function as an iPod? Second, my post was based in humor more than anything else. Third, I could not care less what it is call because I try not to be a pedantic whiner (not saying you are) who bitches and moans about everything (again, not saying you do) that Apple does and does not do.
post #114 of 174
Hey guys! I saw the apple tablet appearing in the movie Avatar.
(maybe it wasn't the first generation of the tablet)
post #115 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

Show me one instance where the name of something affected its functionality. So if an iPod suddenly becomes aeöwlqjr9queq, it will no longer function as an iPod? Second, my post was based in humor more than anything else. Third, I could not care less what it is call because I try not to be a pedantic whiner (not saying you are) who bitches and moans about everything (again, not saying you do) that Apple does and does not do.

Functionality is not the point. Almost everybody knows what a MacBook is (one word tells you it is by Apple, it is a laptop, you want it). Who knows what a VGNZ55X is? No, it is not the device Ike Willis plooked in "Joe's Garage" - it is actually a 13" Sony laptop that can cost you as much as 4.2k when ordering all the options... just, you won't, because less than 20 words later you can't even recall it. How many articles will you see featuring "VGNZ55X" in the headline - and if, who (except Sony staff and Engadget addicts) would look at them? Even if a name is dull... as long as people can remember it and it conveys a picture - it is good. "iSlate" tells me it is by Apple and I can write on it. Enough to make we want more information. Try that with any other combination of six letters (assuming "free t&a" does not count)...

I really hated the move from "PowerBook" to "MacBook" and thought it was dull. Of course, I was wrong. Not even 3% of the world population knew that a PowerBook was a Mac...
post #116 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I tend to disagree with you here also as I don't think a "pad" (of paper) is generally flipped open nowadays, most have no front cover.

Given that the tablet is trying to replace things like an artists pad, a writing pad, a steno pad, or any clipboard (usually with some pad or stack of paper attached), I think "iPad" is clearly the best choice. Even a book is really just a pad of paper. It also neatly fits with their mobile nomenclature in that it's a single syllable word that begins with a small "i" and big "P."

- iPod
- iPhone
- iPad

I agree with this completely. It makes the most sense but is too disgusting.

Quote:

Imagination always existed, so what.

Well I'm finally off work. Time to jump on my horse and ride home.

post #117 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

iSlate?.... Umm................. no.

I agree. For me, it's still Mactouch ftw! Anything just doesn't fit. I have a feeling "iSlate" is Steve Jobs idea. Steve is brilliant at tech design but SUCKS at marketing. That's why he surrounds himself with brilliant people. What was the name of the guy in Apple marketing who came up with the name "iMac"? That is the guy who should come up with a name for the tablet.

I hope it's not the same person that came up with the name "iSlate". We will all find out soon enough.
post #118 of 174
Quote:

The tablet will be called 'Mac touch' and that's the end of it.

So stick your iSlate in your iEye and watch your iSight go iByeBye.

MacTOUCH FTW!
post #119 of 174
Quote:

There are several reasons it won't be "Mac Touch", despite your aspirations.

First of all, it won't be a Mac. It will run a modified version of the iPhone OS, which will be called "OS X" by Apple, but will be far more akin to the iPhone OS. It will run iPhone apps natively.

If it doesn't run the same OS X that Macs run, it won't be "Mac" anything.

Secondly, it won't end in "Touch" because that will cause too much confusion with the iPod Touch (which the majority of people stupidly call the iTouch). I see a small possibility of Touch-something, like "Touch Pro" or "TouchBook".

That said, I also think it iNomenclature is too old to keep pushing. It's run it's course, or it should have. I can't believe Steve thinks different(ly) about that. That's why I don't like "iSlate" and I would prefer the "Apple Slate".

"Newton" would not be a bad choice, as it does draw on the idea of "the idea" as well as something sophisticated and scientific. And unlike iBook, the old Newton is so far dead that it's unlikely anyone will be confusing the new and old products.

Or...

It could be something totally unexpected, like iPod was. Something that won't have as much chance of being a trademark issue. Like the Apple Whiteboard or the Apple Ideaboard or something equally as unappealing to some as iPod was to many at the time of its launch.

Fine then no "MacTouch".

But I agree that the "i" moniker has run it's course. We need something new, thrilling and groundbreaking that will coincide to what this product will most likely be like.
post #120 of 174
macpad/ipad/magicpad/magictouch/magicSlate/magicbook

i'd love to see it !
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Evidence points to Apple's ownership of iSlate.com domain