or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple orders 10-inch tablet displays and robust glass panels

Apple orders 10-inch tablet displays and robust glass panels

post #1 of 91
Apple has placed mass orders for 10-inch displays as well as strong glass panels and connectors to go with them, according to two separate reports out of the Far East that peg the components for the company's much-anticipated tablet device.

According to DigiTimes, Foxconn's panel-making subsidiary Innolux will serve as the primary supplier of 10-inch panels for the forthcoming multi-touch device while Wintek -- Apple's primary iPhone display panel purveyor -- will be tasked with filling many of the remaining orders.

Citing sources from the iPhone maker's component suppliers, the Taiwanese rumor site also reports that the Cupertino-based company has been "seeking solutions to strengthen the glass of the 10-inch panel for the" tablets, a move which contributed to delaying the device's launch until the first-quarter 2010.

Foxconn's optical glass processing subsidiary G-Tech Optoelectronics will reportedly provide this unidentified glass strengthening process, while Taiwan-based optical film maker Wah Hong Industrial has also been tapped to supply components that will aid in the effort.

Based on an analysis of the shipping schedules of Apple's upstream component suppliers, DigiTimes predicts that Apple could announce its new tablet device in January with volume shipments to follow by March.

Separately, Taiwan's "Economic Daily" newspaper also reported Monday that Cheng Uei Precision has received large orders for new flat-panel Tablet PC connector parts, but oddly suggests the company is unlikely to start delivering those parts to Apple until the third quarter of 2010.

Last Summer, AppleInsider was first to report that Apple would base its long-awaited tablet device around a 10-inch display and that the device was bound to turn up no earlier than the first quarter of 2010.

Media reports from last Wednesday claim Apple recently booked the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts in San Francisco for Tuesday Jan. 26 for an unknown event, suggesting an unveiling could be less than a month away.
post #2 of 91
10 inches sounds very big for this device. I know this is the same rumor going around since at least 18 months ago, and its probably true at this point. I just think 10" is big. I'm typing on an 11.2 inch netbook and trying to imagine.
post #3 of 91
Now its 10 inch...

I predict we are gona see reports of "evident" suggesting a 7 inch display tomorrow, and more "evident" for a 10 inch the day after...
post #4 of 91
Seven-inch is too small for two-handed typing and too big for thumb typing. A 10-inch form factor seems better for two-handed typing. I wonder which size it will be, or maybe both will be made.
http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/quotes.asp

Never argue with idiots, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. - a bumper sticker

Never quote idiots, they just clog up...
http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/quotes.asp

Never argue with idiots, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. - a bumper sticker

Never quote idiots, they just clog up...
post #5 of 91
I was always told 7-inches is big enough.
post #6 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Reality: Women lie

That being said, you can NEVER... EVER trust anything from DigiTimes.
post #7 of 91
Apparently, it gets the job done, but isn't preferred.

Quote:

post #8 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by icyfog View Post

Seven-inch is too small for two-handed typing and too big for thumb typing. A 10-inch form factor seems better for two-handed typing. I wonder which size it will be, or maybe both will be made.

Thumb typing could still be possible when it's in portrait mode, for those who prefer it.
In landscape mode - full size two hand typing is probably the way to go. But the keyboard will cover half of the screen at that point.
We still don't know the aspect of the screen, do we? If they want a 10" device to slide into a jacket pocket, it has to be really wide screen... like that Vaio P series or something. But it's probably not gonna be pocket size. I'm guessing 3:2 aspect.
post #9 of 91
FWIW, a Word document with standard margins measures 9.7" diagonally.
post #10 of 91
A solution to strengthen the glass from shock, similar to adding re-bar to concrete pilings, would be the application of a film to the glass panel.

This would be a perfect opportunity to explore the glare and reflection reduction properties of various materials as well as their strengthening abilities.

I can't recall one incident where a original flat panel LCD screen (matte film applied at the factory) has ever shattered or cracked due to pressure or a slight drop.

Also I have already seen a 10" or so touch screen device from Asia nearly three years ago.

A guy had one and was testing a device while on vacation. It could get on the internet, had a SD slot, camera etc.

Quite a handy device and very desirable as it fits neatly into a inside jacket pocket, it was quite long.
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
post #11 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

10 inches sounds very big for this device. I know this is the same rumor going around since at least 18 months ago, and its probably true at this point. I just think 10" is big. I'm typing on an 11.2 inch netbook and trying to imagine.

Ten inches is just about right to accommodate an almost-full-size keyboard. Turned vertical, it would contain a full-size page of typical nine-inch-tall book.

Daniel Swanson

Daniel Swanson

post #12 of 91
does anyone know what native resolution of a 10" display from Foxconn/Innolux would be?
post #13 of 91
The iPane?
The iPain has returned.
post #14 of 91
10" Ireland? Well, what do ya know.

Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #15 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galley View Post

You must be setting your margins wide in order to increase the page count of your reports!
post #16 of 91
We need stronger glass -- good thinking Apple. Too many people drop and shatter their iPhones and iPod Touches. Anything to make the glass more resiliant to cracking, chipping and breaking is a plus!
post #17 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamw View Post

We need stronger glass -- good thinking Apple. Too many people drop and shatter their iPhones and iPod Touches. Anything to make the glass more resiliant to cracking, chipping and breaking is a plus!

People tend to drop them when light reflects off them and blind sides them. Hopefully these tablets will be matte or no sale.
post #18 of 91
Quote:

If you think the glass on this thing won't crack if you drop it you are living in denial. A far as I'm concerned this is an Apple leak designed for marketing purposes. Means literally nothing to me.
post #19 of 91
If it was HDTV aspect ratio, it'd be about 4.9" x 8.7".

If it was iPhone aspect ratio, about 5.6" x 8.4".

These are not counting the frame around the display.

Not unreasonably big, but I think I'd still prefer something about halfway between the current touch and those dimensions, as a good compromise between size and portability.
post #20 of 91
Unfortunately, James Cameron has really set the bar for the tablet device. Anyone who has seen Avatar will know what I'm talking about. The tablet devices that the techs are using in that are WAY cool. This would be a really awesome kind of device. Looks something like a glass clipboard that is a computer/display. Now this would be a really awesome tablet, and something that I could actually see coming from Apple but I imagine that particular device is 20+ years off at this point.

Oh well, I'm anxious to see what Apple releases even though I can't imagine myself getting one.
post #21 of 91
Quote:

Keyboard can be zoomed - shrunk - split - dragged wherever.
post #22 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

Thumb typing could still be possible when it's in portrait mode, for those who prefer it.
In landscape mode - full size two hand typing is probably the way to go. But the keyboard will cover half of the screen at that point.
We still don't know the aspect of the screen, do we? If they want a 10" device to slide into a jacket pocket, it has to be really wide screen... like that Vaio P series or something. But it's probably not gonna be pocket size. I'm guessing 3:2 aspect.

Im really hoping they break the very poor model of making a standard virtual keyboard with their tablet. With the iPhone OS its fine because it runs on a 3.5 display because the hands are limited in their placement and the thumbs can traverse the compact keyboard easily.

I think that Apple will need to reset the multi-touch bar with a tablet keyboard. The tablet will need to accurately sense where my hands are placed, how many fingers are available for typing, if my palms are resting on the device and then determine the type of keyboard Ill need.

I dont expect something that takes up the bottom half of the display, but a split keyboard with curved key placement that allows for my fingers to only extend from their holding position on the device to reach the keys, not having to keep switching hands to type a message. While grasping with two hands while standing I think that the keyboard will be ideally set for thumb typing on the sides of the device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

A solution to strengthen the glass from shock, similar to adding re-bar to concrete pilings, would be the application of a film to the glass panel.

They already adhere the iDevice glass to the plastic display with success. I understand a larger device creates more problems but Id still expect the top panel to glass.

Does an oleophobic coating give any sort of structural support to the glass?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #23 of 91
The Great iPhone/iPod/iSlate/iMac Fragmentation continues . . . .

Hopefully the product is around $300.
Fragmentation is not just something we have to acknowledge and accept. Fragmentation is something that we deal with every day, and we must accept it as a fact of the iPhone platform experience.

Ste...
Fragmentation is not just something we have to acknowledge and accept. Fragmentation is something that we deal with every day, and we must accept it as a fact of the iPhone platform experience.

Ste...
post #24 of 91
Quote:

Mind you, as far as scratches go the iPhone's screen is pretty durable.
post #25 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

The Great iPhone/iPod/iSlate/iMac Fragmentation continues . . . .

Hopefully the product is around $300.

Hopefully? As much as a subsidized 32GB iPhone? Prepare to be disappointed.
post #26 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post

Ten inches is just about right to accommodate an almost-full-size keyboard. Turned vertical, it would contain a full-size page of typical nine-inch-tall book.

It's a little larger than half a sheet of paper. Eh. I guess we'll see how well that works out but I still prefer a 7" device for greater pocketability.

I'll probably buy a 10" tablet just because I like tablets and I have a scad of them anyway. Who knows, maybe it'll be insanely great enough that I'm willing to have a man bag to tote it around everywhere.
post #27 of 91
The problem is that this is a retread of a rumour presented last summer. We all know how that turned out.

Everything points to a Touch follow-up with a larger screen but a 10-inch form factor is simply not a logical next step. By the way, to put this in perspective, holding a 7-inch tablet close to your face to watch a movie would be roughly equivalent to watching a movie on a 32-inch monitor sitting maybe 7 feet away. Not a bad way to go. In regards to the issue of resolution, if a 32-inch monitor is seen as high def at 1080p, on a 7-inch screen a resolution of around 236p would produce a similar resolution level. So something like 378X236 would be the equivalent of the resolution needed to do 1080P on a 32-inch monitor. I mention this because the Touch is already at 480X320, meaning that existing apps, movies set up for the current Touch, etc. would look amazingly good on a 7-inch display, sserving up more perceived resolution than you experience off a 32-inch 1080P monitor viewed from a reasonable distance. A small jump up in resolution on the 7-inch unit would be more than enough to produce a terrific viewing experience.

It's true that full-bore typing, using multiple windows etc. would require more than a 7-inch screen but the problem is that it requires more than a 10-inch tablet also. I would suggest that if you want an experience comparable to running software as if you were on a desktop what would be needed is a physical keyboard and a screen larger than 10 inches. Wait, I think that's been done, aka in the form of a laptop, which has been around for a long, long time. What is the point of a 10-inch tablet meant to allow the same functionality as a standard laptop when in fact that tablet would not be much more portable or cost much less than your standard garden-variety laptop, especially the cheaper stuff pumped out by Apple's competitors.

Instead, I think what Apple should be aiming for is a device that improves on the Touch as opposed to trying to replace your typical laptop which is a mature, perfectly adequate product that meets a particular set of requirements rather effectively. Instead of seeing the Touch follow-up as an everything-but-the-kitchen-sink sort of beast, I would think Apple is likely considering how to make a device that is outstanding at doing specific tasks and simply not focused on others to which its not really suited. Sure netbooks are all the rage these days, mainly because they are convenient and cheap but a typical netbook, like the one I am typing on right now, is good for some things and horrible for others. I have given up on this thing in certain situations, including activities that require multiple windows, any sort of activity that calls for meaningful horsepower, and so on and so on. Browsing, no problem. Minor tasks, sure. Go past that and you're setting yourself up for a lot of aggravation.

So a 7-inch Touch would make sense for assorted tasks like watching movies, browsing, and portable gaming. That's what the Touch does already but on a screen that's really not big enough for the uses that the device has grown into. Going with a 7-inch form factor would fix that and make for a device also better suited to activities like reading, serving up magazine and newspaper content, etc. Battery life would be decent considering its not that large a screen, files could continue to be efficient meaning tons of memory capacity and best of all affordability all-around would be in the sweet spot. That sweet spot is not up around $700 which is likely what Apple would need to charge for a 10-inch tablet at this time.

Who wants to pay mid-range laptop prices for a 10-inch tablet? I suspect a very select few. Perhaps such a device could find a small, insignificant niche market. I doubt that right now Apple is worried about making that small group happy, especially when there is a rather obvious market for a Touch with a larger screen. I think it logical that Apple would pursue that opportunity first and then, maybe, down the road consider a 10-inch tablet as a small-volume halo product.

In short, if the rumours of Apple placing a big order for 10-inch screens was a load of nonsense last summer, chances are they're equally credible now. Logic suggests it's not where Jobs and Co.are headed.
post #28 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

the rumors are that there are two models. a 7 and a 10 inch. so folks can pick.

as for this new bit, what do museums do. I thought I read somewhere that they use some kind of shatter resistant glass. and some of them have a mild matte finish on them. something like that would work. and make all the 'but it is too shiny' folks happy as well. if the device isn't meant for photo or video editing on a high consumer to professional scale (and it likely is not) who cares if the colors are slightly dim. or maybe they could make it a custom thing. shiny in the store or order online and get the no shiny glass. if it is a hit perhaps they could move it into the laptops as well. as a custom order detail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Hopefully? As much as a subsidized 32GB iPhone? Prepare to be disappointed.

that raises a very good point. anyone talking price needs to remember that the phone is rarely bought at full retail. so the prices paid are $200-400 more than what was on the receipt. so saying "It will be about $599 cause the top phone is only $299" is bad math. that phone actually retails for $699.

or use the ipod Touch as your touchstone for price. a 64GB touch is $399 and a Macbook is $999. this device would probably fall around halfway in between. so around $699-799 seems about right. under the two model rumors perhaps $599 and $799 would be the price points. if there is, as rumors suggest, a built in 3g antenna for optional cell data (hopefully unlocked and supporting both cdma and gsm), the carriers might be able to push a subsidy or rebate of $100-200 to lure folks to get that added data line on a contract etc.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #29 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

If you think the glass on this thing won't crack if you drop it you are living in denial. A far as I'm concerned this is an Apple leak designed for marketing purposes. Means literally nothing to me.

http://www.physorg.com/news157981658.html

Money quote:

"We have dropped glass bottles from 10 feet high onto a concrete floor, and the glass simply bounces.

You can make glass stronger with laminates, tempering, and different compositions. It's a matter of cost.
post #30 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Does an oleophobic coating give any sort of structural support to the glass?

I don't know, anti-reflective coatings are not as strong as anti-glare films.

Something has to be added to the glass itself or bonded to the outer surface where most injury and reflections occur.

Like I said before, it's the cheap glass Apple uses is why the glass has been cracking and reflecting.

Thicker and better quality glass may solve both issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinea View Post

You can make glass stronger with laminates, tempering, and different compositions. It's a matter of cost.

My thoughts exactly.
post #31 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

Everything points to a Touch follow-up with a larger screen but a 10-inch form factor is simply not a logical next step. By the way, to put this in perspective, holding a 7-inch tablet close to your face to watch a movie would be roughly equivalent to watching a movie on a 32-inch monitor sitting maybe 7 feet away. Not a bad way to go. In regards to the issue of resolution, if a 32-inch monitor is seen as high def at 1080p, on a 7-inch screen a resolution of around 236p would produce a similar resolution level. So something like 378X236 would be the equivalent of the resolution needed to do 1080P on a 32-inch monitor. I mention this because the Touch is already at 480X320, meaning that existing apps, movies set up for the current Touch, etc. would look amazingly good on a 7-inch display, sserving up more perceived resolution than you experience off a 32-inch 1080P monitor viewed from a reasonable distance. A small jump up in resolution on the 7-inch unit would be more than enough to produce a terrific viewing experience.

236p on a 7 in screen would look quite poor and in no way comparable to a 32" 1080p viewed at 7 feet. The math just doesn't work that way. By that reasoning, a 118p video at 9 inches would also look just as good as that 32" TV. When in fact all you'd see are a bunch of big, fat pixels.

The equivalent to a 32" 1080p TV viewed at 7 feet, on a 7" screen viewed from 18" would be...1080p. (I'm ignoring the fact that the human eye can not resolve all of the detail on a 32" 1080p screen 7 feet away.)
post #32 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

as for this new bit, what do museums do. I thought I read somewhere that they use some kind of shatter resistant glass. and some of them have a mild matte finish on them. something like that would work. and make all the 'but it is too shiny' folks happy as well.

It's called Museum Glass® and it has a anti-reflective outer layer bonded to the glass in some sort of patented process.

One can buy Museum Glass® at local art framing shops, it costs more but for certain objects it's necessary for accurate viewing as reflections and glare distort the true image.

I've see it in use and it's really nice compared to regular glass, not as good as a anti-glare film in eliminating glare, but superior in sharpness and vision to what Apple is forcing down our throats now.

http://www.tru-vue.com/Tru-Vue/Produ...ti-reflective/

Also one will notice on this page that their optical coatings:

http://www.tru-vue.com/Specialty-Applications/

High performance, optical coatings that:

* Are anti-reflective
* Increase brightness
* Improve contrast and clarity
* Minimize eye strain
* Reduce dust build-up
* Reduce glare

So the better quality glass and or coating has existed for quite some time, it's just Apple doesn't want to use it because they are forcing cheap crap on us for premium prices and margins.

Graphic artists and even the glossy screen lovers will love this type of glass. It's clearly superior. (pun intended)

Disclaimer: other glass and coating companies exist to serve the industry, I use this company and product as a example because they have a product sold in art stores, I don't know them or receive any compensation for mentioning their product or company.
post #33 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

Instead, I think what Apple should be aiming for is a device that improves on the Touch as opposed to trying to replace your typical laptop which is a mature, perfectly adequate product that meets a particular set of requirements rather effectively.

Well Apple hasn't said what they are doing so you can't really diss on their plans. you can't say that they are trying to replace their laptops and not merely have a device that is in between the touch and the macbook.

as for the whole size issue. i did some math. a 10 inch screen is in line with the Kindle and the Nook (both of which sell pretty well) and is roughly the size of a trade paperback. with a 7 inch screen being a device roughly the size of a mass market. both plausible sizes that haven't scared off book buyers over the last 50 or so years. and this would likely be half the thickness.

put into that an ereader, ipod, netbook and games and a lot of folks would jump, if the price is reasonable

post #34 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Hate to disagree with you but my Iphone (not in a case) has survived several drops on concrete and did a frighting bounce skip slide across my breezeway which has a tile floor and didn't crack just picked up a few scratches.
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
post #35 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

I

So the better quality glass has existed for quite some time, it's just Apple doesn't want to use it because they are forcing cheap crap on us for premium prices and margins.(pun intended)

What? Do you own an iPhone? Have you seen the durability testing that's been done on the iPhone's screen??
post #36 of 91
Quote:

What? Do you own an iPhone? Have you seen the durability testing that's been done on the iPhone's screen??

I'm talking about reflections/glare/weakness on a 10" or larger screens, where the factor of either becomes more of a issue.

If Apple wants to strengthen the glass, they can also consider something to improve the clarity at the same time by nearly eliminating the reflections. This means a better quality of glass, perhaps museum type glass of some sort.

And I don't have a iPhone, glad I did because two friends of mine both have cracked iPhone glass.

So Apple needs to solve this issue when they release the iSlate.
post #37 of 91
I'm still of the opinion that ten inches is to big (for a portable tablet device). At least for me, the hope is actually for a family of such devices. A side to make everybody happy.

As to the glass screen that kinda goes against last weeks rumors about a deformable surface to type on. That is you won't have "keys" popping up on screen whenever the keyboard is activated. As interesting as that patent is I don't see it becoming a reality with current materials technology.

As to a tough "glass" screen how about transparent aluminum. The military is currently looking in to this tech when laminated with other materials. The last issue of Refense Tech Briefs had an interesting artical on the subject. The current contender is Magnesium Aluminate Spinel.

Probably to expensive .

In any event glass is a funny material. I've dropped my iPhone several times, without a case, and have not had a problem. One gal I know dropped hers once and the screen cracked magnificently.

As to strengthing the glass I do believe the last thing we would want to see is coatings on the glass. For one thing those coatings wear off. There are a number of ways to make glass stronger beyound the standard float glass we are all use to. Some of the additives are considered hazzardous materials but hey this is made in China.

Beyound simple mixes we could see ceramics come into play though the price might go up.

Still I have to agree with the doubters in that I'm not sure there is any truth at all here. Mainly due to the conflicts with other rumors and patents.

Dave
post #38 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galley View Post

Based on?
I have a 24" & 21" screens and Word docs with "standard margins" displayed on the screen are between 1" and 18" wide, depending on many factors.
post #39 of 91
Quote:

This isn't accurate.

The minimum comfortable keyboard for typing on with both hands in the typical fashion is the Apple wireless keyboard which is the same size as the one on the MacBook Air. Apple went through a great deal of testing, and made a lot of hullaballoo, about how this is the "minimum useable keyboard size." There is no way they are now going to say that something smaller is okay for the same purpose.

If one looks down at the keyboard, you can see right away that it won't fit, even longitudinally, on any 10" tablet. There simply will not be a keyboard on the tablet that's seriously intended for touch typing in the manner of a traditional keyboard. A tablet that needs to be, or intends to be lying on a table-top before it can be typed on is a failure out of the gate. It's one of the chief drawbacks of current tablet devices and one reason why they don't sell well. One needs to be typing on the tablet while holding it in ones hands or it's a fairly useless and limited thing.

The tablet will have the standard iPhone keyboards in both portrait and landscape orientations. Thumb typing in portrait mode will continue to be the fastest, most efficient method of typing (as on the iPhone), but with more space and therefore greater accuracy.

If you pick up a steno pad (6"x9" ish), which is about the size of a device with a 10" diagonal screen, and try to thumb type on the end of it, you will see that it's quite comfortable.

I would go even further and say that thumb typing will likely replace touch typing for the majority of folks in the coming years. It's something that's been happening for years now and it has the advantage of not needing to be "taught" in any school or class.
post #40 of 91
ARTICLE: "...solutions to strengthen the glass of the 10-inch panel for the" tablets

Seems to me strengthened glass would preclude the use of the nifty little screen that was a hot news item a day or two ago--the one with little bumps that rose on the screen to help users discern edges of keys and buttons. IF we believe this rumor, we write off the enhanced touch-sensitive screen, right?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple orders 10-inch tablet displays and robust glass panels