or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple seen selling 1.4 million $600 "Kindle Killer" tablets in 2010

Apple seen selling 1.4 million $600 "Kindle Killer" tablets in 2010 - Page 3

post #81 of 149
Another question leaps to mind -- what kind of power source is likely to sit inside the Tablet I wonder ? If one is to use it hours on end it best have a fairly useful charge life such as 6 to 8 hours. If not, then a quick change battery pack will be needed.
Regards
Regards
post #82 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxs6408 View Post

Hmmmm -- I wonder how this Tablet will be backed up. Maybe to a Time Capsule via Wi-Fi or maybe via USB cable to a Mac much like is done for the iPhone. Then again, with a MobileMe account one could use its Backup application to store limited amounts of data to Apple's iDisk cloud servers -- compressed and encrypted of course.

Id like to discuss the logistics of how this will be backed up and charged.

Id guarantee its not a Mac so I have to expect it to be synced and backed up like the iPods, iPhone and AppleTV through iTunes. I understand why the iPods and iPhone dont have WiFi backup, but a tablet could have WiFi syncing and backup like the AppleTV since I expect it to be device not carried with you to your Mac while at home but hopefully placed in a more social area of the house.

If the battery is 20-40 hours long like with the supposed specs of the Notion Ink device then it might not be much of an issue. But how would you likely charge it? a 30-pin connector-to-USB? Would this come with a power adapter like the iPhone or expect the user to plug into a PC like the iPod line? Id wager that it has an AC adapter but Im not so sure about the 30-pin connector. I have no better solution in mind but the 30-pin adapter seems like a wrong fit to me. Would the power cord have to be longer like a Mac or shorter like an iPhone? Id think it would need to be longer for when reading comfortably on a couch, at a table or in bed. MagSafe?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #83 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by battiato1981 View Post

So, would such a device be considered a Mac Tablet and as such, a Mac variant and so part of the quarterly Mac unit sales count?

Netbooks are counted as PC sales, yes? So, I would hope that a Mac tablet would count as a Mac sale.

Not sure why, but I'm just anticipating the changes in the market share ranking scramble that happens quarterly. If the iPhone halo effect continues apace and the Mac Tablet piles on ... we could eventually see a massive quarterly record along the lines of 5 million total Mac units sold, which would be quite nice.

It really depends on the operating system. My guess is that this phantom Apple tablet would have an ARM processor and thus run a modified version of the iPhone OS, not Mac OS X.

Thus, Apple would not market it as computer nor a Mac and won't report the tablet sales as a computer.

Based on previous failures of the PC industry in marketing tablets as personal computers, I am doubtful that Apple will try to take the same tack. My guess is that they will position the device as a media companion. Not a phone or iPod, but not a computer.
post #84 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I’d like to discuss the logistics of how this will be backed up and charged.
(post truncated for legibility)

My guess is that this device would have a 30-pin iPod connector. In addition to charging and syncing capabilities, that connector also allows for analog video/audio out. Assuming that this is a heavily media-focused device, it would seem natural that Apple would continue to offer this connector.

The other less-likely charging option might be a Micro-USB port, as cellphone manufacturers have agreed on that interface to be the universal cellphone charger (even though Apple appears to not be participating on that front).

I would expect one or two USB ports, a stereo miniplug headphone jack, and a Mini DisplayPort connector.
post #85 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

My guess is that this device would have a 30-pin iPod connector. In addition to charging and syncing capabilities, that connector also allows for analog video/audio out.

I would expect one or two USB ports, a stereo miniplug headphone jack, and a Mini DisplayPort connector.

That sounds like a lot to me. 30-pin connector, USB port(s), headphone/mic jack, mDP port.

Having USB seems likely but with Apple going thinner and liking few ports I have to wonder if they’d want you to use a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse, if at all. What about using the mDP port on the tablet for charging and syncing the device? I know that sounds odd but it does have Aux channels and does have ground and power channels. Apple already broke the mold somewhat with the 27” iMac’s wonky all-in-one DP input and output mDP port. That isn’t standard with the included GPU so it had to be something they designed in house that bypasses the internal GPU to supply a signal to the internal display.

(I’m gonna thrashed for this post \)

edit: Since Apple hasn’t used any other USB port standard I have doubts they’d go that route now. But I have a lot of doubts and questions about this mythical product.
post #86 of 149
I would say for the Tablet to be successful it must provide an easy to use input UI.

Possibly a UI where the keyboard is displayed on the screen with a typing box display on top showing a few lines of typed input would do the trick. Then take hands off the screen for a few moments ("moments" being user configurable) would return the display to whatever was there before the typing UI initiated.
Regards
Regards
post #87 of 149
Quote:

That sounds like a lot to me. 30-pin connector, USB port(s), headphone/mic jack, mDP port.

Having USB seems likely but with Apple going thinner and liking few ports I have to wonder if they’d want you to use a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse, if at all. What about using the mDP port on the tablet for charging and syncing the device? I know that sounds odd but it does have Aux channels and does have ground and power channels. Apple already broke the mold somewhat with the 27” iMac’s wonky all-in-one DP input and output mDP port. That isn’t standard with the included GPU so it had to be something they designed in house that bypasses the internal GPU to supply a signal to the internal display.

(I’m gonna thrashed for this post \)

edit: Since Apple hasn’t used any other USB port standard I have doubts they’d go that route now. But I have a lot of doubts and questions about this mythical product.

Based on the theoretical size of this device, I don't think that a USB port and a Mini DisplayPort are really out of reach. If this tablet ships with a 10" screen, it's not that much smaller than my three-year-old MacBook. My computer has a minijack, two USB ports, one FireWire port, Mini-DVI, Ethernet, MagSafe power, and a Kensington security port. After all, the iPhone/iPod touch has two of the four connectors (30-pin iPod connector + stereo minijack) and they're puny devices.

The problem with charging through Mini DisplayPort is that if you plug the tablet into a TV, most likely it is *not* getting charged by the TV. I'm not even sure about using the AUX channels for data. Even if it is electrically possible, it might be a violation of the spec and it might risk some sort of damage with poorly designed cables and/or host devices. Admittedly, I know zero about the new iMac's DisplayPort configuration and capabilities.

The other thing I can imagine the tablet having is an SD card slot for transferring photos and videos.
post #88 of 149
Quote:

Based on the theoretical size of this device, I don't think that a USB port and a Mini DisplayPort are really out of reach. After all, the iPhone/iPod touch has two of the four connectors (30-pin iPod connector + stereo minijack) and they're puny devices.

If this tablet ships with a 10" screen, it's not that much smaller than my three-year-old MacBook. My computer has a minijack, two USB ports, one FireWire port, Mini-DVI, Ethernet, MagSafe power, and a Kensington security port.

The problem with charging through Mini DisplayPort is that if you plug the tablet into a TV, most likely it is *not* getting charged by the TV. I'm not even sure about using the AUX channels for data. Even if it is electrically possible, it might be a violation of the spec and it might risk some sort of damage with poorly designed cables and/or host devices.

All good points.
post #89 of 149
Kindle killing is no great achievement. The Kindle, like iPod Classic is a dead end product. To have any legs, Kindle has to keep acquiring new functionality, just like iPod had to morph from Classic to Touch. Problem is, Amazon has zero, say that again ZERO, expertise in this (i.e. computer hardware and software design and development).

Jeff Bezos has publicly stated (Newsweek) that he believes there is room in the market for a dedicated eReader. He sites digital cameras as an example of a product that did not die even with the rise of multifunction mobile devices. He is wrong. Digital cameras survive because for great pictures you need great lenses which of course cannot be incorporated in a pocket-sized mobile device. On the other hand the physical requirements for an eReader is no different from the physical requirements of a tablet computing device.

Moving right along, watch out for the day when El Steve-o announces that they are merging the iPhone OS and the Mac OS into a single OS that can run both iPhone apps and Mac apps. (Which is also the day Microsoft's CEO gets a massive coronary.) This will happen because Gen 6 iPhone (and iPod Touch) will be powerful enough to handle desktop/laptop computing. When you're out and about, it's a mobile device performing the usual mobile computing functions. When you're at home, it connects to your flatscreen, keyboard and mouse allowing you to do large screen computing*. This is how Apple does an end around on Windows computing.

As Sun Tzu said, strike the enemy where he is weakest. Or words to that effect. . .

*Actually, we'll start seeing keyboard-mouse-monitor kiosks spring up in airports, internet cafes, and other such places. Come to think of it, instead of a mouse, the iPhone becomes a simple touch pad.
post #90 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

Jeff Bezos has publicly stated (Newsweek) that he believes there is room in the market for a dedicated eReader. […] On the other hand the physical requirements for an eReader is no different from the physical requirements of a tablet computing device.

I think Bezos logic is flawed for the reasons you mention but a dedicated eReader will likely be considerably cheaper than anything Apple offers and will likely have much longer usability time for reading text. This makes the physical requirements very different. I think what we might see is a device like the iPhone that united some disparate things into one and made it the leading device, happen again with a tablet if it can make a “dumb” eReader a pointless market. Unlike the phone market the eReader market is not entrenched of a cultural necessity.

Quote:
Moving right along, watch out for the day when El Steve-o announces that they are merging the iPhone OS and the Mac OS into a single OS that can run both iPhone apps and Mac apps. (Which is also the day Microsoft's CEO gets a massive coronary.) This will happen because Gen 6 iPhone (and iPod Touch) will be powerful enough to handle desktop/laptop computing. When you're out and about, it's a mobile device performing the usual mobile computing functions. When you're at home, it connects to your flatscreen, keyboard and mouse allowing you to do large screen computing. This is how Apple does an end around on Windows computing.

I can’t see this happening. There is absolutely no reason why I need one giant version of OS X to be installable on the iPhone, AppleTV and Macs. To have the code for frameworks, drivers, UI elements for any product in one software package. Having a SW that is designed hand in hand with the HW is where Apple thrives. Trying to shoehorn an OS into every other piece of HW is where the competition survives.

Quote:
As Sun Tzu said, strike the enemy where he is weakest. Or words to that effect.

He also said to make your weaknesses look like strengths to detour the enemy and your strengths look like weaknesses to build a false confidence so can you ever really know where the enemy is truly weakest?

Quote:
*Actually, we'll start seeing keyboard-mouse-monitor kiosks spring up in airports, internet cafes, and other such places. Come to think of it, instead of a mouse, the iPhone becomes a simple touch pad.

The public communication device seems pretty dead to me. If I have my iPhone I’m not going to use a kiosk that will likely cost money. I’ll use the iPhone or likely my laptop. Notebooks are outselling desktop PCs, airports have WiFi with many being free, and airlines are pushing WiFI now, too.
post #91 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

I hope that in 10.7 The Dashboard layer's widgets are replaced with apps.
When you purchase an app, you can try it out in the Dashboard right away.
The only problem is GPS chips, multitouch, screen rotation, etc.

That's where the multi-touch tablet comes in
Apple will definitely move all its systems to incorporate touch!
post #92 of 149
Quote:

Actually, we'll start seeing keyboard-mouse-monitor kiosks spring up in airports, internet cafes, and other such places. Come to think of it, instead of a mouse, the iPhone becomes a simple touch pad.

Highly unlikely.

The amount of tasks one can accomplish with your smartphone continues to grow. Also, some societies are culturally predisposed to avoid public terminals. The Japanese for example consider such devices to be unsanitary. Hence, they are the leaders in contactless NFC (Near Field Communications) transaction systems. You wave your "Osaifu-keitai" (literally "wallet phone") over a sensor to pay for groceries, enter an office building, check into your flight, ride the subway, buy a movie ticket, etc.

Plus, the overhead of installing, maintaining, upgrading, and providing anti-vandalism/theft security for kiosks is substantial. You are better off mounting a WiFi router on the ceiling and letting people connect to that.

In terms of security, I'd much rather use my own device rather some public terminal anyhow.
post #93 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

I personally think 1.4 ~ 2 million units in a year is a gross underestimate. If this is an iPod Touch on steroids (large-screen format for iApps, wi-fi, special rich-media support, more storage, faster processing, etc.) for $600... it'll sell a lot more than 2 million units in a year... try that number quarterly, if Apple can meet the demand.

It's not just a Kindle killer. If it's remotely as good as it's envisioned (and I'm sure it will be), it redefines the entire "netbook" category as well...

That is right. If the Apple Tablet device is anything like the rumors, the education market alone will exceed 2M/year. Anybody who has been through graduate medical education, nursing, engineering will understand the huge potential. Who wants to carry 10 lbs of books everyday?

There there is the potential of reading newspapers, magazines, etc with multimedia. Plus TV shows, movies on demand, newscasts on demand, etc.

It may not be able to do 3D rendering with Vectorworks, etc but I suspect it will be good enough to do basic calculations, solve equations, run spreadsheets, or even databases especially cloud apps. I remember doing that kind of stuff with a 8088 machine and I thought that was hot.
post #94 of 149
Here's why I don't think the tablet will be a good effect for school.

DRM will put a hurt on this, numerous school textbooks are commonly tied to a university email account. For this to succeed and blow the doors open for education aspects they would have to significantly offer lower prices to drive incentive for these digital books so users who purchase them can see a real savings. Right now its just not feasible for widespread adoption for education, I could see it being used very sparingly by some though

I believe it was the Kindle that showed us what can happen when your content gets yanked, you lose it and all your work. While I do have faith in technology not failing my faith in having digital content yanked is very VERY low.

As for the handwriting, this means very little to very few. Most get a laptop to get away from having to write (unless you have a mathematical/science class) because its slower than typing. I'm assuming for this device to be capable of the same you'd need a stand and a keyboard, both of which are just extra things to carry around as a student.
post #95 of 149
Quote:

Another question leaps to mind -- what kind of power source is likely to sit inside the Tablet I wonder ? If one is to use it hours on end it best have a fairly useful charge life such as 6 to 8 hours. If not, then a quick change battery pack will be needed.

How thick is the bottom half of a Macbook AIR?
post #96 of 149
Quote:

Very unlikely.

If this thing has an ARM processor (which in all likelihood it will), it will not run OS X and would not be considered a Mac.

OS X already runs on ARM processors. I don't know why people don't get it. The iPhone is running OS X. It doesn't have a large screen and uses multitouch rather than a mouse and keyboard but it is programmed by third parties using objective-c and the Cocoa API's. That is part of the reason so many apps have been developed in a short period of time.
post #97 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

For most people, e-ink and incredibly limited functionality will not be worth the cost of a kindle when compared to an Apple tablet. You don't have to be in the same product category to takes sales away from another product. Of course some people will probably stick with e-ink devices much like some people stick with dedicated pmp's, but the vast majority probably wont.

The point of e-ink and the Kindle in particular is to read. This is difficult on reflective screens. It's hard on the eyes, etc... It's a bit why touch screen e-readers even with e-ink are not as comfortable on the eyes as a Kindle. When you read a paper book it doesn't shine back at you and that is just wonderful. It's what makes reading effortless. Reading books and articles on my current laptops/iPhone is unbearable unless it's for a very short period of time. There is reason why people download a pdf file and then print it to read.

Am eagerly looking forward to both a Kindle and an Apple tablet.

philip
post #98 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by melodyof1974 View Post

I hope the price is more like $399 and not $599. That would really fit into everyone's price range. But, I am glad to see my stocks go up.

You have got to be kidding?

You do know what company we are talking about here?

You should as apparently you own stock in it.

$599 is the absolute bottom of the pricing scale. I think its probably too cheap.

Don't get me wrong, I would buy two at $399.

But in reality, I might not even be able to buy one as it will more likely cost $799.
post #99 of 149
While it's true that this tablet may reshape human/computer interaction in some way, all of this hype and speculation have driven this product way into Segway land.

Nothing short of Steve Jobs giving virgin birth to this thing live on stage will do at this point.

Another note that I haven't seen elsewhere: Time's new interactive content prototype is a bit like iTunes Extras, no? Movies+movie related media, journalism+story related media.
post #100 of 149
Those that think this thing is going to be a Kindle Killer are not serious readers.
post #101 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleBiter View Post

While it's true that this tablet may reshape human/computer interaction in some way, all of this hype and speculation have driven this product way into Segway land.

Nothing short of Steve Jobs giving virgin birth to this thing live on stage will do at this point.

Another note that I haven't seen elsewhere: Time's new interactive content prototype is a bit like iTunes Extras, no? Movies+movie related media, journalism+story related media.

Jobs gave good advice to save the Segway but it was not adhered to .

The iTunes Extra and iTunes LP do function a lot like Id expect from an publishers setup of open source web-code for content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthobs View Post

Those that think this thing is going to be a Kindle Killer are not serious readers.

OUtside of using the hyperbolic term killer why cant an Apple tablet be a serious reader and contender to the Kindle?
post #102 of 149
Have any actual specs been released? Is this going to be another 3G crippled (meaning locked to an operator) or will Apple look out for the consumers?

I am still waiting for Skype to be 3G enabled on my iPhone. Sad that the US networks can't handle the traffic load but other networks can and do it daily. Here in Finland (where I am currently working, I am not a Finn. Making this clarification for a few individuals), the network operators actually encourage mobile broadband usage. Here, unlimited means that. I tether my phone daily for up to 8 hours a day while in my office, and the operator could not care less. I hope that AT&T does not get a say in this and Apple sells these things far and wide.
post #103 of 149
Quote:

I think Bezos logic is flawed for the reasons you mention but a dedicated eReader will likely be considerably cheaper than anything Apple offers and will likely have much longer usability time for reading text. This makes the physical requirements very different. I think what we might see is a device like the iPhone that united some disparate things into one and made it the leading device, happen again with a tablet if it can make a “dumb” eReader a pointless market. Unlike the phone market the eReader market is not entrenched of a cultural necessity.

Unlike the article itself, I didn't mean to say that the Apple tablet will kill the Kindle. I am saying that Kindle will eventually die a natural death, the same way iPod Classic is dying right now and the way pure PDA's did. Pure eReaders are a dead end product. And by 'physical requirements', I meant physical packaging requirements. Or dimensional requirements if you wish. The general size and shape requirements of an eReader is not much different from a tablet computing device. That's not true for a digital camera with a decent lens and a smartphone.

Quote:

There is absolutely no reason why I need one giant version of OS X to be installable on the iPhone, AppleTV and Macs. To have the code for frameworks, drivers, UI elements for any product in one software package. Having a SW that is designed hand in hand with the HW is where Apple thrives. Trying to shoehorn an OS into every other piece of HW is where the competition survives.

First, you are being constrained by a failure of imagination. Second, you are using personal, idiosyncratic preferences as a stand in for the whole customer base.

You are imagining merging the current (or near term) incarnations of the iPhone OS and Mac OS into a single jerrybuilt OS using baling wire pilfered from Microsoft's warehouse. Of course that would be stupid. I meant *eventually* these two will have to merge. (And it will be more a merging of functions than a merging of code bases, but it will include some of the latter.) At that point all your objections will be nonexistent. As technology advances and the cost of computing power continues to fall, the Apple mobile device by then will be so powerful that it can easily perform desktop functions like photo & video editing, word processing, spreadsheet manipulation, etc. ['Shoehorning' will not be an applicable term by then.] The only limitation for desktop functions on a mobile device will be ergonomics (human visual acuity, typical hand size, etc.) Maybe Gen 6 iPhone is still too early, but the day will come. And it will still be software that works seamlessy with hardware in the usual Apple fashion.

Imagine the proposition. Your mobile device is your desktop. You don't need to buy a second computer, you don't need to synch back and forth, you don't need to worry about a burglar stealing your desktop while you're away, you don't need to say "Aw, I left the data on my desktop". If the hardware has the capability to do it, it will happen and Apple will readily kill its own pure desktop business because as I have repeated ad infinitum: You better cannibalize your own product or somebody else will cannibalize it for you.

Quote:

The public communication device seems pretty dead to me. If I have my iPhone I’m not going to use a kiosk that will likely cost money. I’ll use the iPhone or likely my laptop. Notebooks are outselling desktop PCs, airports have WiFi with many being free, and airlines are pushing WiFI now, too.

Maybe not in airport kiosks. Frequent flyer lounges, hotel rooms, hotel 'business centers'. Once the 'desktop in your pocket' becomes ubiquitous services catering to it will emerge. I don't say the kiosks will be everywhere, but something of the sort will crop up to cater to a particular segment, not everyone.

Quote:

The amount of tasks one can accomplish with your smartphone continues to grow. Also, some societies are culturally predisposed to avoid public terminals. The Japanese for example consider such devices to be unsanitary. Hence, they are the leaders in contactless NFC (Near Field Communications) transaction systems. You wave your "Osaifu-keitai" (literally "wallet phone") over a sensor to pay for groceries, enter an office building, check into your flight, ride the subway, buy a movie ticket, etc.

Plus, the overhead of installing, maintaining, upgrading, and providing anti-vandalism/theft security for kiosks is substantial. You are better off mounting a WiFi router on the ceiling and letting people connect to that.

In terms of security, I'd much rather use my own device rather some public terminal anyhow.

Then you and the Japanese are not the target market for the monitor-keyboard-mouse service. And as I said above, they need not be airport kiosks. That was just an example. The people who will use them are the segment of customers who frequent internet cafes, seek out hotels with high speed access, sign up for frequent flyer airport lounges, etc.

------------

Anyway, it looks more and more likely that mobile computing is headed this way. What this means is that sales of pure desktops and laptops to consumers are going to shrink drastically and that spells the end of Windows dominance in the consumer sector unless by some miracle, MS revives its mobile OS business and somehow finds the programming mojo to merge (the future versions of) WinMo, Windows and Zune OS into a seamless, bloat-free package. I highly doubt that.

In this future of mobile/desktop convergence nobody except Apple possesses the necessary, comprehensive skill set. Not MS, not Blackberry, not Google, not Palm, Nokia, Motorola, Samsung, you name it. Even if some of these also-rans merged, there's still the colossal problem of integrating their disparate products.

The future is Apple's and you better load up on AAPL stock now (full disclosure: like I did) if you want a nice retirement kitty 20 years from now. But that's just my personal opinion.
post #104 of 149
Quote:

I would say for the Tablet to be successful it must provide an easy to use input UI.

Possibly a UI where the keyboard is displayed on the screen with a typing box display on top showing a few lines of typed input would do the trick. Then take hands off the screen for a few moments ("moments" being user configurable) would return the display to whatever was there before the typing UI initiated.

There's a button on the iPhone keyboard called "done".
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #105 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleBiter View Post

You can certainly put words to it can't you.
post #106 of 149
Quote:

While it's not the best comment in the world, I agree with the direction you were headed in.
post #107 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

Have any actual specs been released? Is this going to be another 3G crippled (meaning locked to an operator) or will Apple look out for the consumers?

It's not a phone. It's so obvious it won't be locked. It probably won't even have 3G.
post #108 of 149
Quote:

Maybe not in airport kiosks. Frequent flyer lounges, hotel rooms, hotel 'business centers'. Once the 'desktop in your pocket' becomes ubiquitous services catering to it will emerge. I don't say the kiosks will be everywhere, but something of the sort will crop up to cater to a particular segment, not everyone.

Nah, by in large, the people who use those sort of business-grade services are business travelers; the overwhelming majority carry notebook computers issued by their employers.

There is little reason for these people to seek out a tablet-based terminal. They already have their entire work environment (including confidential company information) in their briefcase. They just want a power outlet and WiFi. For lightweight work (checking e-mails, etc.), your smartphone is fine.

As far as I can tell, there is no target audience for this proposed monitor-keyboard-mouse service.

Apple's phantom tablet is going to be a consumer media device.
post #109 of 149
Quote:

Nah, by in large, the people who use those sort of business-grade services are business travelers; the overwhelming majority carry notebook computers issued by their employers.

There is little reason for these people to seek out a tablet-based terminal. They already have their entire work environment (including confidential company information) in their briefcase. They just want a power outlet and WiFi. For lightweight work (checking e-mails, etc.), your smartphone is fine.

As far as I can tell, there is no target audience for this proposed monitor-keyboard-mouse service.

Apple's phantom tablet is going to be a consumer media device.

We'll just see then. Again, failure of imagination. You are assuming an extension of computing habits of today. If "your desktop in your pocket" succeeds, and people stop buying laptops and desktops en masse and just buy a single mobile cpu for their personal computing, there will be hundreds of millions of people walking around who have their full computing capabilities in their pockets. And some enterprising people will realize that and offer a service that will change computing habits wholesale.

Computer use will be more casual. You won't think anymore in terms of "I need to be home by 3:00 to edit that video." Or, "I need to bring my laptop with me today because I plan to work on my term paper. It's ALL in your pocket. You're in the middle of your leisurely bike ride and you decide to stop by the nearby coffee shop and work on stuff while you're taking a break. You're shopping at the mall and suddenly out of the blue you hit upon a breakthrough on that new designer protein you've been working on and you need to draw its structure right away lest the inspiration slips away.

On top of that, university and community libraries will stop offering expensive, full desktop computing resources and just install screen & keyboard consoles. (The mobile touch screen becomes a touch pad.)

And if it's available, you don't think itinerant corporate suits will demand that their employers free them of the burden of lugging their 'bulky' laptops everywhere they go?

Be that as it may, screen&keyboard kiosks is not the main thing. The main thing is the death, or drastic diminution of laptop & desktop sales and the demise of two-device (i.e. large-screen and small screen) computing.
post #110 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

From you lips to God's or Jobs ears. (same difference really)

I think that "Mac OS X" is nearing the end of its life. I think that Apple has been putting all its manpower into working on a new generation OS that will be cross platform on all its devices. I predict it will be something similar to the iphone OS but much more powerful and expandable, yet will be backwards compatible with the iphone apps. I see them really gearing everything they do from here forward around their online store purchases... meaning the apps and software, music, TV, books, and the list will go on.... The days of shopping around and installing software are going to be over...your going to get everything through apples funnel. They are (and have been for a while) gearing to be THE content provider for everything. They know the app stores success, seen all the developers flood in, and planned how to take this and use it across all their products. It has taken so long for this tablet to come out because I believe they have been really working on this OS, and its going to be revolutionary
post #111 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

It's not a phone. It's so obvious it won't be locked. It probably won't even have 3G.

Has making phone calls been ruled out? A truly connected device would need more than just wifi. My iPhone is connect more to 3G than wifi and much of Helsinki is wired. Without 3G, this thing is about as handy as the iPod Touch. It's not that big a deal to put a 3G radio inside as well.
post #112 of 149
Quote:

Just like audiophiles don't listen to music on an iPod... Which of course has nothing to do with the mass market.
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
post #113 of 149
I still can't believe the number of people on this thread that keep bringing up college textbooks...

There is no way in hell that college textbooks will become more affordable because of Apple's iSlate (or Kindle for that matter). The textbook industry has a awesome business model in place where as they are able to constantly f-over young adults with ridiculous priced products that most students are forced into buying... That is not going to change because of any new technology gadget...

If anything, eTextbooks will probably be more money than the paper equivalent just for the ability to perform electronic searches, copying/pasting, etc. That is of course, the DRM in eTextbooks actually allows one to do more than just read it for a semester...
post #114 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

Has making phone calls been ruled out? A truly connected device would need more than just wifi. My iPhone is connect more to 3G than wifi and much of Helsinki is wired. Without 3G, this thing is about as handy as the iPod Touch. It's not that big a deal to put a 3G radio inside as well.

Having 3G an making phone calls are two different things (unless we are talking about voip). I would expect that a 3G data only version will exist, however all I want is the tablet to be capable of tethering with my iPhone and using that data plan. I am not paying for two data plans.
post #115 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

Having 3G an making phone calls are two different things (unless we are talking about voip). I would expect that a 3G data only version will exist, however all I want is the tablet to be capable of tethering with my iPhone and using that data plan. I am not paying for two data plans.

Good point. I can do this already with my iPhone or my Nokia. Example: I can tether my iPhone to my Mac, or I can use an application: JoikuSpot that turns my Nokia into a wifi base station and then connect my iPhone or Mac to this. The good thing about working and living in Finland is that the operators are not so anal about data usage.
post #116 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

I still can't believe the number of people on this thread that keep bringing up college textbooks...

There is no way in hell that college textbooks will become more affordable because of Apple's iSlate (or Kindle for that matter). The textbook industry has a awesome business model in place where as they are able to constantly f-over young adults with ridiculous priced products that most students are forced into buying... That is not going to change because of any new technology gadget...

If anything, eTextbooks will probably be more money than the paper equivalent just for the ability to perform electronic searches, copying/pasting, etc. That is of course, the DRM in eTextbooks actually allows one to do more than just read it for a semester...

By eliminating print and distribution costs, their profits would go up if they sold etextbooks at the same price as printed textbooks and they could maintain similar profit margins by selling etextbooks at a fraction of the current prices. Add in the elimination of the used book market and they would really want you to buy the electronic version. How do you ensure that students buy the digital version? You make it cheaper. I see no reason why they would want to charge more for a digital copy, and if they did they would be hurting themselves.

Even if prices remain the same, student backpacks would get lighter. That in itself is a cause for celebration.
post #117 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by daratbastid View Post

I think that "Mac OS X" is nearing the end of its life. I think that Apple has been putting all its manpower into working on a new generation OS that will be cross platform on all its devices. I predict it will be something similar to the iphone OS but much more powerful and expandable, yet will be backwards compatible with the iphone apps. I see them really gearing everything they do from here forward around their online store purchases... meaning the apps and software, music, TV, books, and the list will go on.... The days of shopping around and installing software are going to be over...your going to get everything through apples funnel. They are (and have been for a while) gearing to be THE content provider for everything. They know the app stores success, seen all the developers flood in, and planned how to take this and use it across all their products. It has taken so long for this tablet to come out because I believe they have been really working on this OS, and its going to be revolutionary

This discussion about Mac OS X going away is a bit silly... Until Apple moves away from computer to mobile device syncing and replaces it with cloud-application based syncing, then I would start wondering about Apple's long term Mac OS X plans... Unless that is the reason why they purchased Lala.com.
post #118 of 149
Quote:

I would expect HDMI vs mDP. I agree with the opinion that it will not be marketed as a computer but as a lifestyle companion device that fills many but not all of the netbook capabilities.

Web surfing, video and photo editing, iTunes, calendar, email, and iphone like apps.

Why would you need or want a mDP port? To dock and playback to your 27" iMac? Perhaps, but that feels very limited in comparison to the number of HDTVs out there.

If that were the plan, I would have expected mDP in on all of the iMac models.
post #119 of 149
Quote:

How many ebooks do you own Mr. Serious Reader? I bet I have more despite not having a kindle and wanting the new tablet...for my ebooks,
post #120 of 149
Quote:

You are imagining merging the current (or near term) incarnations of the iPhone OS and Mac OS into a single jerrybuilt OS using baling wire pilfered from Microsoft's warehouse. Of course that would be stupid. I meant *eventually* these two will have to merge.

Eventually we'll have direct neural interfaces too. But it's highly unlikely for the the OS to merge in this way in say...Jobs' lifetime.

Quote:
(And it will be more a merging of functions than a merging of code bases, but it will include some of the latter.) At that point all your objections will be nonexistent. As technology advances and the cost of computing power continues to fall, the Apple mobile device by then will be so powerful that it can easily perform desktop functions like photo & video editing, word processing, spreadsheet manipulation, etc. ['Shoehorning' will not be an applicable term by then.] The only limitation for desktop functions on a mobile device will be ergonomics (human visual acuity, typical hand size, etc.) Maybe Gen 6 iPhone is still too early, but the day will come. And it will still be software that works seamlessy with hardware in the usual Apple fashion.

That's the crux. Technology changes quickly but humans do not. Odd how the lowly keyboard has survived all this time. Why is that? Mostly because we can actually type faster than we write. Secondly, voice recognition still 5 years from really being useful for everyone. I've been saying that for about 20 years now. Sooner or later it'll actually be true.

A mobile device with limited input capabilities favor one kind of interface optimized for content display. A device intended for content creation favors a different kind of interface optimized for input. Can the two be identical?

Sure, if you prefer them to be sub optimal.

Quote:
Imagine the proposition. Your mobile device is your desktop. You don't need to buy a second computer, you don't need to synch back and forth, you don't need to worry about a burglar stealing your desktop while you're away, you don't need to say "Aw, I left the data on my desktop". If the hardware has the capability to do it, it will happen and Apple will readily kill its own pure desktop business because as I have repeated ad infinitum: You better cannibalize your own product or somebody else will cannibalize it for you.

My mobile device IS my desktop today. It's called a laptop. I do have to worry about stealing it, just like folks steal iPhones too. Or even from the cloud.

Quote:

This is actually a concept from the early 90's. See the Starfire video from Sun. How odd though that your vision of the future is that of the past.

http://www.asktog.com/starfire/starfire.mp4

Amazing what we have and don't have from that. You'll see iChat, tactile multitouch work surfaces, augmented reality (sorta...but the tablet thing she used to drive the camera is VERY close to the device Cameron used to visualize the virtual Avatar set) and voice recognition.

A notebook with a display and keyboard built in is superior to the kiosk because it doesn't cost anything to the hotel or airline and I can use it in any old cafe.

Besides, by the time I can have a desktop in my pocket I can have a projector in my pocket too and use any surface as a viewing area. Input is tougher unless we all start learning chording keyboards.

Quote:
Then you and the Japanese are not the target market for the monitor-keyboard-mouse service. And as I said above, they need not be airport kiosks. That was just an example. The people who will use them are the segment of customers who frequent internet cafes, seek out hotels with high speed access, sign up for frequent flyer airport lounges, etc.

And already have laptops.

Quote:
Anyway, it looks more and more likely that mobile computing is headed this way. What this means is that sales of pure desktops and laptops to consumers are going to shrink drastically

Depends on how you define laptops I suppose. Netbooks are still laptops. Convertible tablets are still laptops.

Quote:
and that spells the end of Windows dominance in the consumer sector unless by some miracle, MS revives its mobile OS business and somehow finds the programming mojo to merge (the future versions of) WinMo, Windows and Zune OS into a seamless, bloat-free package. I highly doubt that.

That'll be a long time coming even assuming that Google today is to MS what MS was to IBM.

Quote:
In this future of mobile/desktop convergence nobody except Apple possesses the necessary, comprehensive skill set. Not MS, not Blackberry, not Google, not Palm, Nokia, Motorola, Samsung, you name it. Even if some of these also-rans merged, there's still the colossal problem of integrating their disparate products.

Sony does even if they are executing very poorly at the moment. A good ass kicking does wonders though. They'll either start executing well again or die. Kinda like Apple in the late 90s.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple seen selling 1.4 million $600 "Kindle Killer" tablets in 2010