or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Magic Mouse helps Apple double share of market in 8 weeks

Magic Mouse helps Apple double share of market in 8 weeks

post #1 of 202
Apple's new Magic Mouse helped Apple see a twofold increase in its share of domestic mice sales last month, AppleInsider has learned, garnering the Mac maker a double-digit slice of the market for the first time ever.

NPD Group sales data for the new device, which was unveiled alongside new iMacs this past October, shows Apple to have captured just over 10 percent of the market in November, representing a first for the Cupertino-based company.

"Sales in November were through the roof," Stephen Baker, analyst with the market research firm, told AppleInsider. "[The Magic Mouse] had the best month for a mouse product from Apple that we've ever seen."

The aforementioned sales data was compiled from standalone Magic Mouse sales only -- those included with the new 21.5-inch and 27-inch iMacs were not factored into the mix. Similarly, however, the new iMac was the best-selling desktop in the U.S in October.

Still, the sales surge wasn't enough to propel Apple from its No. 3 position in mice sales overall, leaving it ahead of HP and Targus, but well behind market leaders Logitech and Microsoft.

"They're not exactly challenging Logitech or Microsoft at this point, who are far and away the leaders, but they've been No. 3 for a long time," Baker explained. Still, the analyst coined the Magic Mouse's debut a "tremendous performance," which saw Apple double its share of the market in less than 2 months.

Whether or not Apple can sustain its increased sales volume of mice sales over time remains to be seen. New Apple products are usually accompanied by publicity and buzz that pushes their sales through the roof in the early going, but often those sales die down over time.

"The Time Machine did great the first 8 ot 10 weeks too, but then it kind of settled down," Baker added. "That is a pattern we've seen with a lot of these products."

The Magic Mouse lacks any physical buttons or the scroll ball of its predecessor, the Mighty Mouse. Instead, the hardware senses the movement of fingertips across its surface in a multi-touch fashion much like the technology employed in Apple's iPhone, iPod touch, MacBook and MacBook Pro lines.

The $69 hardware communicates with a Mac via Bluetooth, and features capacitive touch sensors underneath its shell to track individual finger movements. The entire mouse's surface, from the Apple logo up, is also covered with touch sensors.

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #2 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple's new Magic Mouse helped Apple see a twofold increase in its share of domestic mice sales last month...

Can Apple do no wrong?
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
post #3 of 202
If a redesigned mouse can sell so well, just think what a revolutionary tablet or slate will do!
post #4 of 202
Add middle click and the expose/dashboard functionality lost from the mighty mouse and it would do far better than double.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

Can Apple do no wrong?

They very much have their flaws. If Apple ever gets it all in order, watch out. The current success would seem like a bad day.
post #5 of 202
Quote:

Can Apple do no wrong?

Yes and it was called the "Mighty Mouse"

A abortion of a mouse like I have never seen before.

My highly critical assessment and publicity/dissection photo's of that particular mouse may have drove Apple to create this new mouse.

Yes, I prod Apple with a pitchfork all the time.
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
post #6 of 202
Quote:

Can Apple do no wrong?

Yes, actually all of their mice have sucked, including this one. Very cumbersome to use, imo of course.
post #7 of 202
That's probably because the Mighty Mouse had an impossible to clean wheel, even with Apple's useless video.
bb
bb
post #8 of 202
I got one in my stocking, I must say I find it very intuitive and a pleasure to use. My concern about getting one was how accurate it would be in tracking. All wireless mice before this simply didn't track well enough for detailed work in Apple Pro apps. This new mouse is very precise indeed I find the touch surface wonderful for scrolling.
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
post #9 of 202
Quote:

Can Apple do no wrong?

Yes. The Magic Mouse is garbage. It may even be worse than the Mighty Mouse. They haven't made a good mouse since the ADB II.
post #10 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I got one in my stocking, I must say I find it very intuitive and a pleasure to use. My concern about getting one was how accurate it would be in tracking. All wireless mice before this simply didn't track well enough for detailed work in Apple Pro apps. This new mouse is very precise indeed I find the touch surface wonderful for scrolling.

Laser mice have been available from MS and Logitech for years and they blow away the "magic" mouse. Try one sometime.
post #11 of 202
Surprising since the mouse's touch features aren't available on Windows. So it's just existing Mac users (not even new Mac buyers) who are driving these sales.

What does "The Time Machine did great the first 8 ot 10 weeks too" mean? Time Machine wasn't a product, it was a feature of Leopard. Do they mean Time Machine drove up third party external hard drive sales or something?
post #12 of 202
I stopped using it and the bluetooth keyboard and went back to my Everywhere mouse and the standard Mac keyboard.

The mouse doesn't fit right in my hand. I keep having to move my hand forward on the mouse or the clicking gets difficult to mash down. The touch control works fine, but I've already worn out the index finger on my right hand from decades of clicking. This mouse is killing the index finger on my left hand as well.

The bluetooth keyboard is just too flimsy. I had the earlier one too. It broke. $80 for a POS that BROKE.

I'm too practical for form over content.
post #13 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by felixmanos View Post

I stopped using it and the bluetooth keyboard and went back to my Everywhere mouse and the standard Mac keyboard.

The mouse doesn't fit right in my hand. I keep having to move my hand forward on the mouse or the clicking gets difficult to mash down. The touch control works fine, but I've already worn out the index finger on my right hand from decades of clicking. This mouse is killing the index finger on my left hand as well.

The bluetooth keyboard is just too flimsy. I had the earlier one too. It broke. $80 for a POS that BROKE.

I've stopped using mine as well. Too painful if you are doing any gaming or a lot of mouse work. Your hand cramps horribly from trying to move it around on the desktop. They went way to far into the form side and left function by the wayside. it's too flat and difficult to grasp, the edges are too sharp and irritate the palm, and it still has that vague right click, which always ends up being a left click. I have to right click 2 or 3 times before I find the right 'spot' to get a proper right click.

Irritating.
iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 24" Dual Core 3.06 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 4
iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 24" Dual Core 3.06 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 4
post #14 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamw View Post

If a redesigned mouse can sell so well, just think what a revolutionary tablet or slate will do!

I think a tablet price 10x more than the magic mouse may not have the same customer
post #15 of 202
Been to the Apple store in Soho, Tekserve, and Digital Society, no Magic Mice to be had.
post #16 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo View Post

Laser mice have been available from MS and Logitech for years and they blow away the "magic" mouse. Try one sometime.

I guess you must have a Magic Mouse and used it extensively to able to arrive at such a stern conclusion. I personally do not remember seeing any mouse that features a multi-touch surface other than Apple's new mouse, if you do can you share a link?
bb
bb
post #17 of 202
Time Capsule, I suspect.
post #18 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianus View Post

Surprising since the mouse's touch features aren't available on Windows. So it's just existing Mac users (not even new Mac buyers) who are driving these sales.

What does "The Time Machine did great the first 8 ot 10 weeks too" mean? Time Machine wasn't a product, it was a feature of Leopard. Do they mean Time Machine drove up third party external hard drive sales or something?

Yeah. Saw that, too. I think they meant Time Capsule.
post #19 of 202
Quote:

Can Apple do no wrong?

No Apple has never done any wrong.

They've had times where they were clumsy, but like Apple, quickly corrected the situations. The bottom of this post is not intended for you IQatEdo

.............. To the rest who Bash Apple's Mouse ...................

The Magic Mouse is the WORLDS FIRST MULTI-TOUCH MOUSE. Where are the complainers who say Apple isn't innovating??

The Negative "Opinions" about the Magic Mouse, are the people who are seeking that Apple create the notebook thats 8Core 20GB Ram 1TB SSD & Ultra High GDDR5 Graphics card in the size of a MacBook Air .

Apple has given you an alternative: If you don't like the magic mouse go back to the wired one, same as with the keyboard.

What other company has a full multi-Touch Mouse??? People are already saying things like "That mouse is terrible!" etc... Why don't you create your own mouse then?? Or your own Notebook Computer??... Appreciate what you have and don't complain about it.... Keep the article positive.

This Article was meant to be Positive and to give Apple the recognition of its Revolutionary device. Let's try to limit the kiddie whining for other forum/rumor sites.
Apple!

Think Different
Apple!

Think Different
post #20 of 202
Quote:

Yes. The Magic Mouse is garbage. It may even be worse than the Mighty Mouse. They haven't made a good mouse since the ADB II.

Did you read the article? Might help to put an <anecdotal> tag after your post to help others distinguish reality from opinion.
post #21 of 202
Quote:

This is blatantly false. I don't like my Magic Mouse, but it's tracking is much more precise than both my MS and Logitech laser mice. That is it's one nice feature. Excellent resolution, even on crappy surfaces.
post #22 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileMe View Post

Apple has given us an alternative: If you don't like the magic mouse go back to the wired one, same as with the keyboard.

This Article was meant to be Positive and to give Apple the recognition of its Revolutionary device. Let's try to limit the kiddie whining for other forum/rumor sites.

This is a discussion forum. They are posting on-topic. Any discussion about the topic should be valid here, not just all positive. How boring would that be?
post #23 of 202
And the funny thing is, they aren't shipping the mighty mouse to their resellers. Only the big stores can have them. The specialty shops sit and wait.
post #24 of 202
Free download to enable those features: http://www.apple.com/downloads/macos...agicprefs.html
post #25 of 202
Quote:

1) Laser is not that much more accurate than optical
2) Magic Mouse is a laser mouse
post #26 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Did you read the article? Might help to put an <anecdotal> tag after your post to help others distinguish reality from opinion.

Could you point me to the spot in the article where they called the Magic Mouse a good mouse? It has had good sales for a while now. That doesn't make it a quality product. McDonald's food isn't a quality product but it sells really well too.

I've never used a Magic Mouse, but after dealing with Apple's Mighty (crappy) Mouse, I have no trust that they can make a quality mouse. The shape alone makes it look very non-ergonomic, just like the Mighty Mouse is. I'm back to use the MM because the Intellimouse Explorer I've had for 10 years didn't survive the last move. It WILL be replaced soon by one from a company that actually can create a good mouse, either Logitech or (more likely) Microsoft.
post #27 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

This is blatantly false. I don't like my Magic Mouse, but it's tracking is much more precise than both my MS and Logitech laser mice. That is it's one nice feature. Excellent resolution, even on crappy surfaces.

then you're using some terrible laser mice. are they something with sub 1000 DPI?
post #28 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Yes and it was called the "Mighty Mouse"

A abortion of a mouse like I have never seen before.

My highly critical assessment and publicity/dissection photo's of that particular mouse may have drove Apple to create this new mouse.

Yes, I prod Apple with a pitchfork all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

Yes, actually all of their mice have sucked, including this one. Very cumbersome to use, imo of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

That's probably because the Mighty Mouse had an impossible to clean wheel, even with Apple's useless video.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

This is a discussion forum. They are posting on-topic. Any discussion about the topic should be valid here, not just all positive. How boring would that be?

The quotes above me validate my statements. A positive discussion or a discussion on how Apple can improve it's current hardware is always welcomed... but the comments above are not and fall into the category of Drive-by Trolling IMO.

WITH THE EXCEPTION OF MACTRIPPER ACTUALLY
Apple!

Think Different
Apple!

Think Different
post #29 of 202
Quote:

... The bluetooth keyboard is just too flimsy. I had the earlier one too. It broke. $80 for a POS that BROKE. ...

This sounds like total BS to me.

As an owner of the same keyboard and many Mac and windows keyboards before, I can say that the bluetooth keyboard is one of the sturdiest keyboards ever. It's a solid piece of aluminium for cripes sake.

Also, if it broke within the first year, it would be covered and completely replaceable for free at your local Apple store. If it broke *after* the first year, I don't see how you could be upset about it.

Nothing about this really rings true and I think you are just wildly exaggerating (at best) here.
post #30 of 202
I don't care what you all think...I like the @%#$%$ thing.
post #31 of 202
Quote:

I've had two of the keyboards since they first came out and one travels with me a lot. Neither have ANY damage at all. What are you doing with your keyboards? Using them as broadswords?

Oh, and I really like the Magic Mouse except for the lack of "middle click" and squeeze buttons. I've got no other beef with it than those two things.
post #32 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zep View Post

then you're using some terrible laser mice. are they something with sub 1000 DPI?

Actually no. They are both 1000 DPI mice.
post #33 of 202
Quote:

Actually no. They are both 1000 DPI mice.

then im not surprised your magic mouse is much better at tracking. it has about a 1300 DPI.
post #34 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

Could you point me to the spot in the article where they called the Magic Mouse a good mouse? It has had good sales for a while now. That doesn't make it a quality product. McDonald's food isn't a quality product but it sells really well too.

I've never used a Magic Mouse, but after dealing with Apple's Mighty (crappy) Mouse, I have no trust that they can make a quality mouse. The shape alone makes it look very non-ergonomic, just like the Mighty Mouse is. I'm back to use the MM because the Intellimouse Explorer I've had for 10 years didn't survive the last move. It WILL be replaced soon by one from a company that actually can create a good mouse, either Logitech or (more likely) Microsoft.

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-MB829LL-...owViewpoints=1

http://store.apple.com/us/reviews/MB...co=MTM1MDcxMjg

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MB829?mco=MTY0MjUyMTU

http://store.apple.com/jp/product/MB829?mco=MTY0MjUyMTQ

post #35 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

Quote:

See again. Nothing constructive in his/her/its entire post.

This person needs to just build there own mouse or don't label one product to the next.... Here's what they should have said

Calimnuimnis: " I used Apple's MM once and didn't have a great experience, I may try it out in there stores but until then I'll stick with other manufactures "

You don't say crappy or POS (Another poster said this not him).... Thats what I mean by positive and constructive posting.
Apple!

Think Different
Apple!

Think Different
post #36 of 202
Quote:

Thats quotes above me validate my statements. A positive discussion or a discussion on how Apple can improve it's current hardware is always welcomed... but the comments above are not and fall into the category of Drive-by Trolling IMO.

Someone complaining about a mouses style is trolling? Trolling is purposely posting something with no value, just to get a rise out of someone, or something that is totally off topic.

With the exception of Takeo's and to a lesser degree for MacTripper's post these others are not trolling. They raise valid opinions about the product in question. Just saying it's an abomination without stating why is trolling. Stating it's an abomination and then stating why it's an abomination is not.
post #37 of 202
I know everybody has different preferences, but boy I couldn't stand the magic mouse in the store. I'm dying for a keyboard with integrated multi-touch trackpad that I can use on a desktop. I just think mice in general are clunky.

I hope the rumored "magic slate" can do a better job than Wacom's Bamboo multi-touch pad. That was a waste.
post #38 of 202
So everyone with a Mighty Mouse wants a mouse that works, big deal.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #39 of 202
Quote:

No Apple has never done any wrong.

They've had times where they were clumsy, but like Apple, quickly corrected the situations. The bottom of this post is not intended for you IQatEdo

That is a somewhat subjective opinion. I can think of several bits of hardware (most first-gen in each respective category, in fact) that Apple has got more than a little bit `wrong'. I agree though that they are good at refining over time. Also on the OS side (just to pick one example from a numerous list), I still pine for having properly network exported multi-user remote login and display like X11 and/or even MS RDP. [and yes, I realise the average home user wouldn't even know what this is, let alone want it...]

Quote:

The Magic Mouse is the WORLDS FIRST MULTI-TOUCH MOUSE. Where are the complainers who say Apple isn't innovating??

The Negative "Opinions" about the Magic Mouse, are the people who are seeking that Apple create the notebook thats 8Core 20GB Ram 1TB SSD & Ultra High GDDR5 Graphics card in the size of a MacBook Air .

Actually, I want it to have 4TB SSD with a TDP of 1W and at least a 50hr battery life. Anything else is just like... totally lame. Oh, it needs to be able to power my car too. Over the air. From home.

Quote:

Apple has given you an alternative: If you don't like the magic mouse go back to the wired one, same as with the keyboard.

Again (subjectively) I hate wireless, and hope that Apple does refine the magic-mouse to be wired (or at least have the option). Without that, I will not touch it with a barge pole. Even if it can remotely power my car.

As to the mouse itself though, it is good to see Apple have appealed to a reasonable number of users. It would be interesting to see how many of those who bought the micky-um, magic mouse were upgrading from a previous Apple [not so mighty?] mouse, a different brand or even as an external mouse for a laptop, As a predominantly laptop user myself though, I don't see the appeal in that category as it lacks for me the additional gesture support of the trackpads.
post #40 of 202
Quote:

Someone complaining about a mouses style is trolling? Trolling is purposely posting something with no value, just to get a rise out of someone, or something that is totally off topic.

With the exception of Takeo's and to a lesser degree for MacTripper's post these others are not trolling. They raise valid opinions about the product in question. Just saying it's an abomination without stating why is trolling. Stating it's an abomination and then stating why it's an abomination is not.

I meant to say with the Exception of mactripper
Apple!

Think Different
Apple!

Think Different
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware

Gear mentioned in this thread:

AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Magic Mouse helps Apple double share of market in 8 weeks