or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Magic Mouse helps Apple double share of market in 8 weeks

Magic Mouse helps Apple double share of market in 8 weeks - Page 4

post #121 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo View Post

Yes. The Magic Mouse is garbage. It may even be worse than the Mighty Mouse. They haven't made a good mouse since the ADB II.

The Mighty Mouse may not be for everyone but I wouldn't say it's outright garbage. It's actually quite a pleasure to use, and I've already imagined potential functions which they could extend to it.

I think they're on to something, so I hope who ever is behind its engineering will push on since it's selling quite well for it's first version. I don't think they have a choice but to improve upon it since it's sold with every iMac.

I love this mouse, they just have to expand the amount of interface controls that it can activate with the multi-touch. It does work with some of the major programs like iTunes but I want it to start controlling more things in the Property Inspector.

I hate the name though... why not iRodent

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #122 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileMe View Post

The Guys over in GIZMODO

http://gizmodo.com/5386202/apple-magic-mouse-review

A windows mindset Perspective from CNET:

http://reviews.cnet.com/mice/apple-m...-33783857.html

Trends Review

http://www.digitaltrends.com/product...-mouse-review/

Please notice their "BAD" comments are due to there lack of being able to grasp the new frontier in which the Magic Mouse will evolve into.

If you want to read a decent Magic Mouse review read this.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #123 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Finally, some progress. And admission that: "we all know it could be better"

That's just the point, Apple should already know this, and they should have added two physical buttons and just be done with it. If you think this mouse will change much in the next few years then you're living in the clouds. Apple thinks they "get mice", but they so do not. They are misguided when it comes to mice. But be sure I love many of their other products. We're talking about the Magic Mouse though, so why would I need to "show love".

I get that you don't like much about Apple products, but you are fooling yourself if you think you are just "being critical in a good way". You position most rebuttals to your posts as "fanboy-ism" or people "worshipping Apple," because that makes your arguments seem as if they are reasoned when they so obviously are not.

You post some of the most opinionated and negative things to this forum and most of it doesn't seem to be based on anything but your own preferences. It's easy to call other people Apple worshipers or fans, but a lot harder to see your own biases isn't it?

Your comment about adding the two physical buttons is priceless in that regard. I bet you are unaware of the research behind Apple's decisions re: one button or two button mice, almost entirely. You phrase it as if it's an obvious objective fact that two buttons are better than one and imply without saying so that Apple just does this to be perverse or that there is no objective reason behind it.

In fact, almost every word you write on this forum is dripping with personal bias, yet *you* are the one that most often calls others names and infers that bias in others. Funny how that works.
post #124 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenburg View Post

This amazes me. An article is published about Apple doubling its market share after the introduction of a new product. We then get 3 pages of flame wars (from Apple fans, no less!) about it being a POS and how everyone hates it! (I know not everyone says they hate it, but enough for me to generalize and not be exaggerating too much.) Maybe you guys should be frequenting an HP or Dell blog instead.

You see the thing about this forum, at least for me is it gives me a chance to be honest. You're not saying we have to love every Apple product to use AI are you? If you are then I really do pity you. I may post a lot here but I have managed to keep my own opinion without letting Mr. Ego, i.e. Steve Jobs cloud my vision. Apple make great great products, but Apple don't make great mice. In my view when you compare their mice to some other great mice they very quickly looks like "terrible mice". In my view Apple make some of the best keyboards, and some of the worst mice on the market. Deal with them Apples.
post #125 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I get that you don't like much about Apple products...

We are talking about one product in particular, why don't you seem to get that? I love my iMac, I love my Air, but I hated my Magic Mouse. Please excuse me for being passionate, it's just who I am.
post #126 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zep View Post

you really are a piece of work.

fine. you want some facts from review sites since you have never backed any of your praise of apple being amazing for society.

source: http://www.engadget.com/2006/07/25/b...ady-available/

source: http://reviews.cnet.com/mice/apple-m...3783857-5.html

there are more. note this is for both mice, uncomfortable POSs. im not going to clog up the forum with more links as they are quite easy to find. and with the way you talk about jobs being so great, you praise him too.

big companies are always under the microscope. its part of it. i will praise apple when they deserve it. they do not deserve it on their mice. they have always been uncomfortable to me for extended use.

Your dismissed Sir .... Steve Job's brought Apple back from the brink of destruction, Steve also infused back his discipline into the company and brought back the culture we knew and loved..... Steve and Apple acted Fast when Environmentalist blamed Apple for polluting the Environment now Apple leads the industry in GREEN products.... Apple with the Help of Steve evolved online music and video distribution through iTunes, and the iPods..... The 2006 WWDC brought the very first G5 Tower that was competitive to the industry, and phil schiller personally showed spec for spec how the G5 was more affordable then dell.... Not to mention the Mag Safe connector apple invented (so peoples laptops would stop flying around when they tripped on the cord) iSight, Magnetic Latch system, OS X , and much much more .... STEVE IS THIS YEARS DECADE CEO AND IN MY BOOK HE'S BEEN THAT SINCE THE 1976 when Apple Launched. AND WHEN HE WAS AT NEXT, OH AND DON'T FORGET PIXAR AND HOW THE MOVIES OF ANIMATION WERE ALL STARTED BECAUSE OF TOY STORY.....Lets go ZEP lets Talk about what more APPLE HAS DONE, iCan go all day.
Apple!

Think Different
Apple!

Think Different
post #127 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Your comment about adding the two physical buttons is priceless in that regard. I bet you are unaware of the research behind Apple's decisions re: one button or two button mice, almost entirely. You phrase it as if it's an obvious objective fact that two buttons are better than one and imply without saying so that Apple just does this to be perverse or that there is no objective reason behind it.

Most personal preference would have 2 buttons over one. The mouse has been the single greatest bane to the Apple platform (only one click? hockey puck? even Apple apologetics agree). While the Magic Mouse is a great improvement, its unusable for some things like gaming for instance where you constantly keep your finger resting on both sides and when you constantly have to lift you finger to r-click repeatedly it gets tiring and painful.

Hopefully its fixable via software, that is one of the biggest gripes i have...i could get over the shape if it didnt require considerably more effort to use...those swipes just dont work for me at all unless i take my hand off completely and swipe to page back or forth.
post #128 of 202
Quote:

Your dismissed Sir .... Steve Job's brought Apple back from the brink of destruction, Steve also infused back his discipline into the company and brought back the culture we knew and loved..... Steve and Apple acted Fast when Environmentalist blamed Apple for polluting the Environment now Apple leads the industry in GREEN products.... Apple with the Help of Steve evolved online music and video distribution through iTunes, and the iPods..... The 2006 WWDC brought the very first G5 Tower that was competitive to the industry, and phil schiller personally showed spec for spec how the G5 was more affordable then dell.... Not to mention the Mag Safe connector apple invented (so peoples laptops would stop flying around when they tripped on the cord) iSight, Magnetic Latch system, OS X , and much much more .... STEVE IS THIS YEARS DECADE CEO AND IN MY BOOK HE'S BEEN THAT SINCE THE 1976 when Apple Launched. AND WHEN HE WAS AT NEXT, OH AND DON'T FORGET PIXAR AND HOW THE MOVIES OF ANIMATION WERE ALL STARTED BECAUSE OF TOY STORY.....Lets go ZEP lets Talk about what more APPLE HAS DONE, iCan go all day.

For all that praise and him actually making the GUI for modern computers...they still cant get the mouse right?
post #129 of 202
Quote:

When I say FULL MULTI TOUCH MOUSE, I mean FULL MULTI TOUCH MOUSE. Show me a mouse you can do finger gestures/swipes on??... SHOW ME!!??

Jeepers, you really are pathetic. A computer mouse is a computer mouse. You trying to segment the market into tiny chunks to praise Apple is just pathetic.

I could accomplish everything and more that the Magic Mouse does 10 years ago on a Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer. Yay, the Magic Mouse lets we swipe instead of clicking a button. So what? Feature-wise, it's the same. Except the Microsoft mouse had more features like easily reassigned buttons, the scroll wheel button and an actual ergonomic shape. More features at a lower price.
post #130 of 202
Quote:

what does not having to grasp the idea behind the magic mouse have to do with it being uncomfortable? nothing. it is impossible for you to see the bad in apple.

I would say this was Apple's only bad, BUT ..... AND IT'S A HUGE BUT..... People didn't see the evolution of this design, which became the Mac Mini.... Steve Himself realized that you people were behind in the times of his artistic creation.....

" No Artist is ahead of his time. He is his time; it's just that others are behind the times." - Martha Graham
Apple!

Think Different
Apple!

Think Different
post #131 of 202
Quote:

blah, blah, blah, blah, blah...

And I thought Quadra 610 was annoying in his Apple praise...
post #132 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

Yay, the Magic Mouse lets we swipe instead of clicking a button. So what? .

Multi-touch on a mouse is a very big deal. We're seeing the results of it now. Read the article.

You can also accomplish nearly the same things on Windows as you can on OS X. But thre's a reason we choose OS X.

Anyone can shove "features" onto a device.
post #133 of 202
Quote:

Jeepers, you really are pathetic. A computer mouse is a computer mouse. You trying to segment the market into tiny chunks to praise Apple is just pathetic.

I could accomplish everything and more that the Magic Mouse does 10 years ago on a Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer. Yay, the Magic Mouse lets we swipe instead of clicking a button. So what? Feature-wise, it's the same. Except the Microsoft mouse had more features like easily reassigned buttons, the scroll wheel button and an actual ergonomic shape. More features at a lower price.

Your just not as passionate for Apple as the rest, you don't appreciate quality, I'm so glad that mouse you said you could things on 10yrs ago is still around today Thats real innovation right there, create something and POOF gone in 10 years ... don't make me laugh...

I'm also not segmenting anything, Apple has created a new category and it turns out there the only ones who are in that category. It's really that simple.

This has nothing to do with praise, iDont praise Apple guys, I'm just a passionate supporter in what they do, and their views are very similar to my own especially steves
Apple!

Think Different
Apple!

Think Different
post #134 of 202
Quote:

He's not annoying, he and a few others actually appreciate good design and innovation from a company.... Like I said iDo get on Apple when there wrong, but thats a rarity so when they do I'm extremely relaxed on them. Plus APPLE ADMITS There wrongs when they are.... Heck even Steve Jobs admitted it was his fault during the who'll stock scandal. Thats a REAL CEO RIGHT THERE!!!! INDUSTRY TAKE NOTES
Apple!

Think Different
Apple!

Think Different
post #135 of 202
Quote:

Your just not as passionate for Apple as the rest, you don't appreciate quality, I'm so glad that mouse you said you could things on 10yrs ago is still around today Thats real innovation right there, create something and POOF gone in 10 years ... don't make me laugh...

I'm also not segmenting anything, Apple has created a new category and it turns out there the only ones who are in that category. It's really that simple.

This has nothing to do with praise, iDont praise Apple guys, I'm just a passionate supporter in what they do, and their views are very similar to my own especially steves

Saying that someone isn't passionate for Apple because they disagree with what you think is a good mouse is just dumb. I've used every Apple mouse since the one click bricks and none of them compare to the simplicity, functionality, and ergonomics of the Kensington mouse I've had for five and a half years.

Just because Apple makes it does not make it gold.
post #136 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifail View Post

For all that praise and him actually making the GUI for modern computers...they still cant get the mouse right?

Can you?....... I guess you'd just cave and say " ifail "

The Mouse will evolve People just be patient .
Apple!

Think Different
Apple!

Think Different
post #137 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCno10 View Post

Saying that someone isn't passionate for Apple because they disagree with what you think is a good mouse is just dumb. I've used every Apple mouse since the one click bricks and none of them compare to the simplicity, functionality, and ergonomics of the Kensington mouse I've had for five and a half years.

Just because Apple makes it does not make it gold.

No but you haven't called it a POS and Crap and degraded it
Apple!

Think Different
Apple!

Think Different
post #138 of 202
My last and only BMW was a 2003 745i with the 1st generation iDrive controller installed. It took me a few days to become used to it as it was the first mouse-like controller interface designed for cars to eliminate dozens (and dozens) of buttons. For years and years I've seen nothing but negative feedback from automotive journalists of how "bad" that system was. I didn't have a problem with it after a few days worth of orientation while keeping an open mind during the process. The system was not perfect and was improved upon over time and now has been "adopted" by a wide range of manufacturers for premium, feature-rich automobiles.

After using a bunch of different mice, and a Mighty Mouse (BT) for the last 2 years, I have bought an MM because of multi-touch. I had gone thru a similar adaptive process for about two weeks. Now, going back to the Mighty Mouse (or any other mouse) feels cumbersome and unintuitive when compared to the MM. BT connectivity is more robust and batter life is improved. The lack of moving parts (save for the on/off switch) is also welcome.

I have downloaded the new Preferences app for it, but I have only enabled two other feature. I'd like to keep it simple and user-friendly, which is why I purchase Apple products.

So I would highly recommend this mouse to anyone willing to make an adjustment in exchange for a superior mouse experience afterwards.

Just my 2 cents.
post #139 of 202
I don't know why all this trash talk, but I find the mouse very precise and comfortable.
Apple had me at scrolling
Apple had me at scrolling
post #140 of 202
Quote:

Can you?....... I guess you'd just cave and say " ifail "

The Mouse will evolve People just be patient .

Shouldnt need to wait for it to evolve...it should be here already
post #141 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

I don't know why all this trash talk, but I find the mouse very precise and comfortable.

Agreed. I am very pleased with mine as it would appear so are many others looking at the sales. I have about ten mice to choose from here in my studio and it is by far the best - and no, not all are Apple.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
post #142 of 202
Quote:

Shouldnt need to wait for it to evolve...it should be here already

You're Dismissed Sir ... Please put your cigarette out while you're exiting.
Apple!

Think Different
Apple!

Think Different
post #143 of 202
Quote:

You're Dismissed Sir ... Please put your cigarette out while your exiting.

Awww...no retort other than that?
post #144 of 202
I see the bullshit is flying left and right in this thread. Same old same old for AppleInsider forums.
post #145 of 202
Quote:

Awww...no retort other than that?

It's hard to respond to something that's a failed argument (hint you) at least your name makes up for your lack of argument against Apple & Steve.

When your defending a INSANELY GREAT COMPANY you can defend on there behalf much easier. That's why Trolls and other misinformed individuals say/make arguments and leave without backing them up.

Notice how Zep was quiet once I began to answer how apple has Innovated and helped the tech the music and movie industry (Steve actually did the latter instead of Apple)
Apple!

Think Different
Apple!

Think Different
post #146 of 202
Let’s simmer down people. Either say nothing at all or try to be more clever in your personal attacks by weaving them into an on topic response.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #147 of 202
Quote:

It's hard to respond to something that's a failed argument (hint you) at least your name makes up for your lack of argument against Apple & Steve.

When your defending a INSANELY GREAT COMPANY you can defend on there behalf much easier. That's why Trolls and other misinformed individuals say/make arguments and leave without backing them up.

Notice how Zep was quiet once I began to answer how apple has Innovated and helped the tech the music and movie industry (Steve actually did the latter instead of Apple)

its called having a job. you know work.

i dont deny anything he's done, but they still cant make a mouse thats worth a crap compared to logitech/microsoft. (even tho saving apple meant partnering with microsoft and getting boo'd on stage)

besides, arguing with you is like arguing with a zealot. no matter what anyone says, you're always going to say (to paraphrase) "all hail mighty steve and apple. they can do no wrong!" i bet i could show you a picture of the sky being blue, but if apple said it was orange, you wouldnt believe the picture. so whats the point?
post #148 of 202
It would have been even more if they could have kept them in stock during the holidays.
post #149 of 202
Quote:

its called having a job. you know work.

i dont deny anything he's done, but they still cant make a mouse thats worth a crap compared to logitech/microsoft. (even tho saving apple meant partnering with microsoft and getting boo'd on stage)

besides, arguing with you is like arguing with a zealot. no matter what anyone says, you're always going to say (to paraphrase) "all hail mighty steve and apple. they can do no wrong!" i bet i could show you a picture of the sky being blue, but if apple said it was orange, you wouldnt believe it. so whats the point?

Not true, but lets squash it. Maybe in another forum in a Galaxy Far Far Away, we can agree on something and your attitude will be much less bitter towards Apple.

iDo work, but fortunately iCan get paid being mobile and doing fun things Like RE and Writing programs. To each his own, and I will never bash hard work.

Thats why my name is MOBILE ME
Apple!

Think Different
Apple!

Think Different
post #150 of 202
Would not have predicted this in a million years. I actually opted for the old wireless mouse (mighty mouse) because I found the new one (magic mouse) to be much worse, with the exeption of the scroll wheel of course (which is a big deal, but not so much so that I would go for a flat mouse that hurts my hand after prolonged use). I guess I have different hands then those that bought and rated this thing.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
post #151 of 202
Quote:

Not true, but lets squash it. Maybe in another forum in a Galaxy Far Far Away, we can agree on something and your attitude will be much less bitter towards Apple.

iDo work, but fortunately iCan get paid being mobile and doing fun things Like RE and Writing programs. To each his own, and I will never bash hard work.

Thats why my name is MOBILE ME

its not bitterness towards apple. its bitterness towards the zealotry of most of the apple product users. anytime anyone says anything against apple, founded or not, its instant heresy. you're guilty of it the most, quadra is next.

also, the i<insert word here> is annoying and overdone.
post #152 of 202
Quote:

Most personal preference would have 2 buttons over one. ...

You kinda missed my point a bit.

Ireland was saying that Apple's two button mice should have two physical buttons, that not enabling the second button by default was similarly wrong, and implying that this was all somehow due to just plain bloody-mindedness by Apple. That this setup had no purpose other than to be different or just to screw people around.

I was merely pointing out that Apple's decision in that regard (to not have two *physical* buttons on their two button mice, and to not enable the second button by default), was actually based on a lot of research and had a factual basis.

It is without question that "beginner" computer users find a one button mouse easier to understand and use. Switchers and more advanced users like the second button (or third of fourth in some cases), but they tend to know where to look to enable the second button.

Apple's position is that the second button is "discoverable" by those that need it and it's hard to argue that it isn't. They could make it more obvious there is a second button by marking it on the mouse in some way, but then that would again confuse the beginner users who are the people you don't want to confuse and who generally prefer the single button. It's a very logical setup when you think of it. It's simple for the beginners, doesn't leave out anything for the advanced users, and is completely "discoverable."

Ireland (and people like them), that get upset over the lack of the second button are usually just those who didn't bother to look in the control panel, and didn't realise that all Mac mice are two button mice.

Thus they feel dumb, and they lash out at others to cover up their feelings of inadequacy.
post #153 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo View Post

Yes. The Magic Mouse is garbage. It may even be worse than the Mighty Mouse. They haven't made a good mouse since the ADB II.

Agreed.

The Magic Mouse is one of the worst i've used. It's too small to rest the hand on > puts enormous amount of strain on the wrist.
My wife has small hands... so she's ok with it. For me however... more Apple Fail.
post #154 of 202
Quote:

its not bitterness towards apple. its bitterness towards the zealotry of most of the apple product users. anytime anyone says anything against apple, founded or not, its instant heresy. you're guilty of it the most, quadra is next.

also, the i<insert word here> is annoying and overdone.

none.
Apple!

Think Different
Apple!

Think Different
post #155 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by rain View Post

Agreed.

The Magic Mouse is one of the worst i've used. It's too small to rest the hand on > puts enormous amount of strain on the wrist.
My wife has small hands... so she's ok with it. For me however... more Apple Fail.

none.
Apple!

Think Different
Apple!

Think Different
post #156 of 202
Quote:

I foresaw this coming, and when the started blabbing on and on when he first joined, I called him out and got a strike or whatever it was. Dumb, I completely enjoy apple products too from Iphone to my Macbook to the iMac thats in the mail right now, but this guy is downright annoying. Just tone your shit down.
post #157 of 202
Quote:

You're dismissed also Zep.

The dismissing of posters seems overly antagonistic, MobileMe.
post #158 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

I guess you must have a Magic Mouse and used it extensively to able to arrive at such a stern conclusion. I personally do not remember seeing any mouse that features a multi-touch surface other than Apple's new mouse, if you do can you share a link?

Multi-touch is an Apple exclusive technology. People not familiar with iPod Touches, iPhones, and Mac laptop touch pads- have never used two or more fingers to make gestures on a surface to interact with a device or machine. As strange as it sounds this is simply not anything anyone will have experience outside Apple products - and some will not be able to adapt or have longer learning curves than others when they try an Apple product.

Magic Mouse does not bill itself as a gaming mouse - this is a general do everything mouse in a new and innovative way.

The reason why Apple is in solid financial shape to make investments in R&D, key acquisitions, retain key talent and pursue new talent, enter into new markets - Apple makes money selling their mice (computers, iPods, iPhone, remote) and does not need to be the number one seller in any category they compete in. The top selling manufacturers have something Apple does not - razor thin margins and price wars that make these competitor products a commodity or a race to the bottom. In business it is all about margins and being able to maintain high margins compared to the industry by differentiating your brand.
Science and technology multiply around us. To an increasing extent they dictate the languages in which we speak and think. Either we use those languages, or we remain mute.
J G Ballard
Science and technology multiply around us. To an increasing extent they dictate the languages in which we speak and think. Either we use those languages, or we remain mute.
J G Ballard
post #159 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I have a hard time believing even Steve wants this guy on his side. Well...as far as i'm concerned, from now on im just gonna scroll right passed the huge rainbow of words.
post #160 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

it really just proved my point. im done with him. he's on my ignore list now.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware

Gear mentioned in this thread:

AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Magic Mouse helps Apple double share of market in 8 weeks