or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Magic Mouse helps Apple double share of market in 8 weeks
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Magic Mouse helps Apple double share of market in 8 weeks - Page 5

post #161 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The dismissing of posters seems overly antagonistic, MobileMe.

at least he's using 'you're' instead of 'your' now. agreed though.

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #162 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The dismissing of posters seems overly antagonistic, MobileMe.

Dude I've had a crazy afternoon, and it didn't help hearing people complain about nonsense... I mean C'mon why use such strong words when you promote Apple by buying there products?

POS, CRAPPY, NEVER GET ITS RIGHT, STOP MAKING MICE?!? Like c'mon man, let us just appreciate our Apple.

I'll seriously stop, cause it seems like my comments are now being used as a negative thing.

Only a few people get it....... Where's the Love in this forum? Where's the Peace and Appreciation?

Apple doesn't make something you don't enjoy? Then be quite and move on, but don't say comments like what I posted above.
Apple!

Think Different
Reply
Apple!

Think Different
Reply
post #163 of 202
"Last edited by MobileMe; Today at 05:35 PM.. Reason: Grammer"

LMAO. fantastic.
post #164 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCno10 View Post

"Last edited by MobileMe; Today at 05:35 PM.. Reason: Grammer"

LMAO. fantastic.

see I have a funny side and can poke fun at myself
Apple!

Think Different
Reply
Apple!

Think Different
Reply
post #165 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

A lot more people who like it bother writing reviews.

Conjecture. Prove it.
post #166 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabon View Post

I've had two of the keyboards since they first came out and one travels with me a lot. Neither have ANY damage at all. What are you doing with your keyboards? Using them as broadswords?

Oh, and I really like the Magic Mouse except for the lack of "middle click" and squeeze buttons. I've got no other beef with it than those two things.



It broke. What can I say? Anything that breaks irritates me. Why would it not? I'm only a pretend avatar.

Both of the aluminum keyboards are so light they seem to bounce at times and slide back and forth when I type. That forces me to pay attention to the device itself. Like a dull carving knife when I need for it to be really sharp. Any technical mishap for any reason can snap me right out of the flow I occupy when I attempt to capture drifting thoughts with words. I don't wanna hafta think about machinery when I'm writing. I just want it to work. Why else would I buy a Mac?
post #167 of 202
Besides the fact that mine drops its connection, I LOVE it!!!

Havnt used a better mouse. It feels premium and looks damn nice too.
Get a matte screen cover and quit whining...glossy displays rock.
Reply
Get a matte screen cover and quit whining...glossy displays rock.
Reply
post #168 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by felixmanos View Post



It broke. What can I say? Anything that breaks irritates me. Why would it not? I'm only a pretend avatar.

Both of the aluminum keyboards are so light they seem to bounce at times and slide back and forth when I type. That forces me to pay attention to the device itself. Like a dull carving knife when I need for it to be really sharp. Any technical mishap for any reason can snap me right out of the flow I occupy when I attempt to capture drifting thoughts with words. I don't wanna hafta think about machinery when I'm writing. I just want it to work. Why else would I buy a Mac?

WTH are you talking about? Keyboard bouncing back and forth as you type?? Does it spontaneously backflip when you're not looking, too? How the hell did you end up breaking your keyboard?? Lame . . .
post #169 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

A lot more people who like it bother writing reviews.

uh, yeah. In bizzaro world.
post #170 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

Kind of a non sequitor, don't you think? It would help if there was at least something vaguely connecting computer mice and girls. Not to mention a lousy kisser could learn to be a good kisser. A badly designed mouse can't do anything but be badly designed.

If girls were manufactured by specific companies like computer mice, and the first one I kissed from Company X was a lousy kisser, I wouldn't hook up with another girl from Company X.

My point was, altho' obviously not stated clearly enough, was simply this: to not like something you have never tried is ,imo, the height of arrogance. Surely one should have some actual personal experience before deciding the worthiness of something, don't you think?
Apple, bigger than Google, ..... bigger than Microsoft,   The universe is unfolding as it should. Thanks, Apple.
Reply
Apple, bigger than Google, ..... bigger than Microsoft,   The universe is unfolding as it should. Thanks, Apple.
Reply
post #171 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zep View Post

its not bitterness towards apple. its bitterness towards the zealotry of most of the apple product users. anytime anyone says anything against apple, founded or not, its instant heresy. you're guilty of it the most, quadra is next.

also, the i<insert word here> is annoying and overdone.

iStone him to death.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
Reply
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
Reply
post #172 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I like the mouse and keyboard. Does that make me a bi-textual?

LOL .. Always great to see a sharp wit in action, you know, as opposed to a halfwit .... not that there's anything wrong with that.
Apple, bigger than Google, ..... bigger than Microsoft,   The universe is unfolding as it should. Thanks, Apple.
Reply
Apple, bigger than Google, ..... bigger than Microsoft,   The universe is unfolding as it should. Thanks, Apple.
Reply
post #173 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo View Post

Laser mice have been available from MS and Logitech for years and they blow away the "magic" mouse. Try one sometime.

I'm curious. How do they blow away the Magic Mouse (with BTT)? Do you mean they track better? Are you sure? Where was this tested?

If you mean in other areas, the Magic Mouse kicks ass over MS and Logitech. Using BTT I've got mine set up to perform 8 different functions in a single app. And it has inertial scrolling. MS and Logitech can't do it.

Sure, you need to install a third-party tool to make the Magic Mouse useful. But who cares? First of all, it's an application, not a system extension, so there's no incompatibility problems. And once you install it, you'll never go back.

If you are talking about ergonomics, you do know that that's a very subjective topic. I happen to think the Magic Mouse is the most ergonomic mouse possible for the way I have always held a mouse.
post #174 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

If the first Microsoft mouse I bought had sucked as much as the Mighty Mouse, I would never have bought another Microsoft mouse. Given the poor user experience, Apple doesn't get the benefit of the doubt with the Magic Mouse.

After happily using (beige) Apple mice since 1986, the first MS mouse I bought was the Intellimouse Explorer, and the silver paint wore off within a month. Afterward, the mouse looked like a piece of crap. I have never used a Microsoft mouse since. Since then I've used the Pro Mouse, which I loved, despite the single button limitation, and a generic two button mini optical mouse, which I also loved. Hated every mouse from Dell, IBM and Microsoft I was forced to work on various PCS at work, and none were anywhere as good as the Pro Mouse, except maybe the second button and scroll wheel.

I also used a Logitech five button palm-fitting mouse on a roommate's gaming PC, and I must say I didn't like the experience, because the mouse was just too big, even bigger than the Intellimouse Explorer, which I also thought was too big.

Skipped the Mighty Mouse, though I was tempted to get one, and now I'm not sorry I did.

The Magic Mouse is hands down the best mouse I've ever used.
post #175 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

Yes, actually all of their mice have sucked, including this one. Very cumbersome to use, imo of course.

There must be a part of a designer's brain dedicated to mouse design. How else can you can explain the fact that collectively Apple designers lead in computer design but fail so miserably with mouse design
post #176 of 202
My guess is you've never used the Magic Mouse. Everyone may not agree on the ergonomics, but it's almost unanimously agreed that 1) tracking is awesome and 2) scrolling is awesome. If you're claiming the exact opposite then your motivation is that you've got an axe to grind. The runners are fine. Why would you want your money back when it's clear you don't own one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by umijin View Post

Yeah, the Magic Mouse is a marked improvement over the Mighty mouse and any other previous Apple mouse. But that's where the praise needs to stop.

It absolutely sucks compared to anything else. Tracking is poor on most surfaces, scrolling (or smearing on this mouse) is awful, the shape is not ergonomic, and the material for the runners isn't even low-friction. It's just plain awful, and I want my money back.

Logitech's mouse software drivers may blow, but their hardware is solid. My two year old VX Nano is way, way better even without all the buttons assigned special functions.

My bet is that most people buying this mouse haven't spent much time with it before hand and made their purchase to get the latest thing. I certainly did, and I regret it.

PS: Oh, then there is the environmentally unfriendly and useless plastic packaging it comes in. As much plastic as in the mouse, and no way to use it for some other purpose. There's no snap or hinge to hold the lid in place - my kids wouldn't even play with it. What an incredible waste!

Compare the packaging to the blister pack (including cardboard and plastic) for other mice. Environmentally, it's fine. The packaging is not meant to be discarded. It's meant to be retained for storage of the mouse, which is why it looks so good.
post #177 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by umijin View Post

Sadly, the looks can't hide its environmental unfriendliness. The Magic Mouse has the single most wasteful packaging on a tech item I've seen in 5 years.

Dude, you're such a liar. Just by looking at it, you can see that that Logitech packaging is more wasteful. How about transportation? That's an environmental issue. Bigger packaging means more trucks. More trucks mean more pollution.

Again, the efficient packaging for the Magic Mouse is not meant to be disposable. And if you wanted to dispose of it anyway, it absolutely is recyclable so don't lie about that any more.
post #178 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by rain View Post

Agreed.

The Magic Mouse is one of the worst i've used. It's too small to rest the hand on > puts enormous amount of strain on the wrist.

It's not meant to rest the hand on. That's what you guys just refuse to accept. Unless you have wrists that are so weak that you might need PT, there's no reason you can't hold your wrist up without resting your hand on something for a full day of work at the computer and feel absolutely no fatigue or strain.

It seems "ergonomic" mouse design has caused widespread atrophy.
post #179 of 202
I am sure this is a great product once you get used to it, but I am one of the few that actually adores my might mouse and wouldn't swap it as yet, I love the shape, boy do I like the shape, the one button functioning as two, the scroll wheel that lets you scroll horizontally too, and the side ways press function.

I also absolutely despise that fake aluminum paint on the lower part of the magic mouse, this is very unapple design, and reminds me of tacky pc color, why don't they stick to all white like they should? It should either be real aluminum lower side or white, plastic with an aluminum sheen is not tasteful, I know I am nitpicking but that's so great about apple products sometimes, they allow us to nitpick.


Btw, it's time capsule you moron analysts not time machine.
post #180 of 202
What I find interesting is that you HAVE to be running 10.6.2 in order for the mouse to function.

That's a lot of people running 10.6.2, and I have to wonder how many people have upgraded to 10.6.2, from say Leopard or Tiger, in order to use the shiny new mouse.

Apple's policy of forcing users to run the very latest OS release, in order to enjoy the latest peripherals, is obviously paying dividends.
OK, can I have my matte Apple display, now?
Reply
OK, can I have my matte Apple display, now?
Reply
post #181 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileMe View Post

Dude I've had a crazy afternoon, and it didn't help hearing people complain about nonsense... I mean C'mon why use such strong words when you promote Apple by buying there products?

POS, CRAPPY, NEVER GET ITS RIGHT, STOP MAKING MICE?!? Like c'mon man, let us just appreciate our Apple.

I'll seriously stop, cause it seems like my comments are now being used as a negative thing.

Only a few people get it....... Where's the Love in this forum? Where's the Peace and Appreciation?

Apple doesn't make something you don't enjoy? Then be quite and move on, but don't say comments like what I posted above.

Face it- this webisite has become a warped, self -masturbatory, member- stroking joke which has no basis in reality. Any unbiased words against any Apple producst are considered negative and not with the "program". So many good members have left for this very reason. Many have been censored and left. The global moderators have now become the Apple police. Pathetic.
post #182 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkoolaid View Post

Face it- this webisite has become a warped, self -masturbatory, member- stroking joke which has no basis in reality. Any unbiased words against any Apple producst are considered negative and not with the "program". So many good members have left for this very reason. Many have been censored and left. The global moderators have now become the Apple police. Pathetic.

I never looked at it that way. I'm new to forums, so I'm not sure about the "political" play that goes on.

I initially thought these forums were to be like "homebrew club" meetings where all the tech savvy and non tech savvy talk about code or help one another out with HW/SW issues, and stories like these, which the article praised how well the Magic Mouse was doing, would make all in the forum congradulate Apple and give CONSTRUCTIVE input as to how they can improve the mouse for a future revision.

I've become to realize that the Majority enjoy the bashing and teardown of Apple then to keep things in a positive manner.

I mean the vulgarity displayed towards people in here has caught me by surprise.
Apple!

Think Different
Reply
Apple!

Think Different
Reply
post #183 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

I also absolutely despise that fake aluminum paint on the lower part of the magic mouse, this is very unapple design, and reminds me of tacky pc color, why don't they stick to all white like they should?

The bottom is solid aluminum. It is not painted plastic.
post #184 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

Add middle click and the expose/dashboard functionality lost from the mighty mouse and it would do far better than double.

BetterTouchTool, which is free, adds that and more to the Magic Mouse.
post #185 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

What I find interesting is that you HAVE to be running 10.6.2 in order for the mouse to function.

Actually, it requires Mac OS X v10.5.8 or later with Wireless Mouse Software Update 1.0. However, momentum scrolling only works with Snow Leopard.
post #186 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Yes and it was called the "Mighty Mouse"

A abortion of a mouse like I have never seen before.


My highly critical assessment and publicity/dissection photo's of that particular mouse may have drove Apple to create this new mouse.

Yes, I prod Apple with a pitchfork all the time.

drama queen
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #187 of 202


touche' !!!

every  and best buy store in my hood has been sold out since day one
this multi touch mouse will one day open up windows users eyes to 's unique user inter face
for now only apple can use it ..
my wireless mouse in call of duty rocks
my wireless key board is good for 9 months or so and then it fails i just bought my 4th one
i love it
it hates me
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
mac tripper you have become a troll \\every comment from your mouth like that relentless glare B S you did for months here .
your sick in the head dude . your seem smart and nice at times , yet you can't stop your anti mac venom cloaked in fan boy love

. did you ever THINK to join us here instead of crashing every topic with the sky is falling down shit ??
or are you ,,trying to join TS in cyber-waste land ???
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #188 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileMe View Post

Dude I've had a crazy afternoon, and it didn't help hearing people complain about nonsense... I mean C'mon why use such strong words when you promote Apple by buying there products?

POS, CRAPPY, NEVER GET ITS RIGHT, STOP MAKING MICE?!? Like c'mon man, let us just appreciate our Apple.

I'll seriously stop, cause it seems like my comments are now being used as a negative thing.

Only a few people get it....... Where's the Love in this forum? Where's the Peace and Appreciation?

Apple doesn't make something you don't enjoy? Then be quite and move on, but don't say comments like what I posted above.

maybe your sig is too quiet ??:grumb:)::
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #189 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I get that you don't like much about Apple products, but you are fooling yourself if you think you are just "being critical in a good way". You position most rebuttals to your posts as "fanboy-ism" or people "worshipping Apple," because that makes your arguments seem as if they are reasoned when they so obviously are not.

You post some of the most opinionated and negative things to this forum and most of it doesn't seem to be based on anything but your own preferences. It's easy to call other people Apple worshipers or fans, but a lot harder to see your own biases isn't it?

Your comment about adding the two physical buttons is priceless in that regard. I bet you are unaware of the research behind Apple's decisions re: one button or two button mice, almost entirely. You phrase it as if it's an obvious objective fact that two buttons are better than one and imply without saying so that Apple just does this to be perverse or that there is no objective reason behind it.

In fact, almost every word you write on this forum is dripping with personal bias, yet *you* are the one that most often calls others names and infers that bias in others. Funny how that works.

you should have seen him when he was SCOTLAND
he was boorish and talked like
i dinna ......<<<fake star trek scottly accent >?>>

9
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #190 of 202
If you own a MM, have you tried holding it like a TV Remote? Obviously you can't do anything with it but it feels great in your hands! Seeing a brighter future where I can navigate an AppleTV / Front Row with multitouch devices like the MM holds a lot of promise!
post #191 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

What I find interesting is that you HAVE to be running 10.6.2 in order for the mouse to function.

That's a lot of people running 10.6.2, and I have to wonder how many people have upgraded to 10.6.2, from say Leopard or Tiger, in order to use the shiny new mouse.

Apple's policy of forcing users to run the very latest OS release, in order to enjoy the latest peripherals, is obviously paying dividends.

Let's see. You change the OS so you can, in part, expand its functionality. Then you design or update an application or peripheral to take advantage of the advanced OS functionality.

Apple doesn't force anybody to do anything. Just like I am not forced to hang up a new calendar this Friday. As long as I remember to add a day, I could get along on this year's version, or dig up a 1999 calendar and remember to add 11 years to the date.

Do you remember saying this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

It's funny. I come across business owners with this kind of mindset all the time. They seem to think that they don't have to replace their hardware like everyone else. And then they can't figure out how they can't turn a profit, and they're working longer hours than everyone else.

Hello?

Fine, let them muddle through with obsolete kit. They're exactly the kind of penny-pinching business owners who wouldn't buy Snow Leopard for $29 even if it was Universal. Fuck'em. I'm not being kept in the Stone Age because they're idiots.
post #192 of 202
Part of the issue is that some people can't stand to see Apple get away with doing so well with a product that actually has fewer features (notwithstanding its "killer" feature.) It's as if it's sacrilege. Like the MMA fighter who only knows how to wrestle but somehow gets you on the ground every time.
post #193 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

The bottom is solid aluminum. It is not painted plastic.

Then surely the sides have got to be painted plastic, unless I mistook them too.
post #194 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

Then surely the sides have got to be painted plastic, unless I mistook them too.

There are no sides. There is a top and a bottom. The top is clear polycarbonate and the bottom is aluminum. It's actually quite lovely even when you look at it under a magnifying glass.
post #195 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

Then surely the sides have got to be painted plastic, unless I mistook them too.

This should reveal all
http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Magic-Mouse/1240/1
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #196 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileMe View Post

Yeah I'm not a huge Fan of the mouse concept in general since laptops trackpads have evolved. Though I'm seriously considering a Top End iMac for Photography purposes & HD Video so it's nice to see this revolutionary device as a standard option.












I never understood why some pros or even home users use a mouse with a laptop

never considered using the mighty mouse with my laptop since it was horrendously uncomfortable, but will have to give magic mouse a shot...
post #197 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

This should reveal all
http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Magic-Mouse/1240/1

Well, it is indeed aluminum, good choice apple.

My bad.
post #198 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryb View Post

Been to the Apple store in Soho, Tekserve, and Digital Society, no Magic Mice to be had.

Guess you have to wait for them to restock, I'm camping out here - http://www.watchmyitems.com/?item=B002TLTGM6 and waiting for Amazon to restock. You might want to do that if you're really keen to get one and try it out for yourself
post #199 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbee View Post

My point was, altho' obviously not stated clearly enough, was simply this: to not like something you have never tried is ,imo, the height of arrogance. Surely one should have some actual personal experience before deciding the worthiness of something, don't you think?

How about trying out Windows 7? Wouldn't it be arrogant to not give it a try? I think you're talking about someone that's had the mighty mouse, I don't think it's so simple as calling them arrogant. I think someone that's been burned by predecessor products can be justified in being wary of succeeding products. Especially given a bit of a track record, the hockey puck was the worst IMO - though probably great for kids. The no-button was a lot better but depending on your preferences, still irritating compared to the competition. Mighty Mouse was interesting, but a bit high maintenance, it harkened back to the days of pre-optical mice because the scroll ball eventually stops tracking unless it's fastidiously cleaned. It was a nice idea, but I think there may be a reason why no one else duplicated the scroll ball. If someone felt they were burned twice, then I think it's a bit much to say such skittishness to try a third time is arrogance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkoolaid View Post

Face it- this webisite has become a warped, self -masturbatory, member- stroking joke which has no basis in reality. Any unbiased words against any Apple producst are considered negative and not with the "program". So many good members have left for this very reason. Many have been censored and left. The global moderators have now become the Apple police. Pathetic.

Sorry, but for the most part, you're wrong. We take action based on behavior, not opinions. It looks like you're whining because your regular account got banned because you were needlessly harping on your opinion, frankly, there was a general queasiness about the antics in question. Every thread about a certain product turned into a bitch fest rehashing the same argument week after week, which becomes thread crapping. And people on both sides of many of the arguments in question did get infractions, you might not notice infractions laid against others, because it takes a couple clicks to see them.

Besides, I've had many a dissenting opinion against certain Apple decisions (still do), and yet, somehow I was never given infractions or repremands. I try to stay sane about it, and voluntarily stepping away from the keyboard for a cooling off period.
post #200 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

IIt looks like you're whining because your regular account got banned because you were needlessly harping on your opinion, frankly, there was a general queasiness about the antics in question.

Wow! His first post in weeks and he comes back in high dudgeon even more cantankerous than when he left.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware

Gear mentioned in this thread:

AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Magic Mouse helps Apple double share of market in 8 weeks