or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Nokia lodges complaint alleging Apple in broad patent violation

Nokia lodges complaint alleging Apple in broad patent violation - Page 3

post #81 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

It only works in portrait mode for phonecalls, it has the same hardware (CPU, graphics RAM) as the 3GS, it doesn't do MMS, it does not link into Ovi store, it has "poor" battery life (well actually pretty normal for a phone with those specs).

Only works in portrait mode for phone calls, no MMS, no app store and poor battery life. Sounds like another smartphone platform at launch, doesn't it?

Take a look at the reviews. The tech press reaction has been very positive despite what's missing. The iPhone has proven that what's important isn't supporting every feature under the sun, the important thing is making sure what's supported is easy to use.

Quote:
It will be smashed in sales by Android phones which is what it will compete with.

Just like Symbian smashes the iPhone, huh? I wouldn't be surprised if the N900 outsells the top selling Android phone in 2010.

Quote:
It is incompatible with AT&T but will work with T-Mobile.

It's incompatible with AT&T's 3G network but it'll do GSM/EDGE on AT&T just fine.

Quote:
That enough or you want more?

I'd be interested to know if you've tried it and, if so, what your personal thoughts on it are.
post #82 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Only works in portrait mode for phone calls, no MMS, no app store and poor battery life. Sounds like another smartphone platform at launch, doesn't it?

Take a look at the reviews. The tech press reaction has been very positive despite what's missing. The iPhone has proven that what's important isn't supporting every feature under the sun, the important thing is making sure what's supported is easy to use.

Just like Symbian smashes the iPhone, huh? I wouldn't be surprised if the N900 outsells the top selling Android phone in 2010.

It's incompatible with AT&T's 3G network but it'll do GSM/EDGE on AT&T just fine.

I'd be interested to know if you've tried it and, if so, what your personal thoughts on it are.

Nice one RichL. Great post without all of the rabid fanboyism which seems to be a sign up requirement on this site.

Consider that this is an entirely new OS I would give it more than a month to pass judgment but this is somewhat typical of the Apple-ista crowd (not all here, but several) who are carrying the Apple banner forth.
post #83 of 105
Some lawyers are going to enjoy a good paycheck for a few years. Nokia wants access to the patents covering the iPhone in addition to RAND fees. Good luck with that.
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
post #84 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Wow! You have been here a long time. By my calculations it would take 97 years at your current rate. See, you’ve already saved 23 years.

Er... well since you've done the math it means I'll be 150
post #85 of 105
Someone asked about the N900, please point out any errors in my straightforward and factual synopsis of the N900?

How is stating facts without giving an opinion classed as "rabid fanboyism" as you so succinctly put it.

The only opinion presented is that theN900 is more likely to be competing with Android phones such as the Nexus, another phone it will be competing with is the HTC touch HD2.

I notice that RichL also conveniently left out my point about Nokia seeming to release phones as beta test units then rely on updates to address "community" complaints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

Nice one RichL. Great post without all of the rabid fanboyism which seems to be a sign up requirement on this site.

Consider that this is an entirely new OS I would give it more than a month to pass judgment but this is somewhat typical of the Apple-ista crowd (not all here, but several) who are carrying the Apple banner forth.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #86 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

what an inane post. DED can be fairly criticized for many things, but being "stupid" is not one of them.

No, he's not stupid, perhaps he thinks the rest of people is stupid
post #87 of 105
Quote:

Ah the old typical "Nokia bad, Apple good" frothing at the mouth responses. The truth was summed up beautifully by both Solipsism and sflocal. Apple has very, very, very limited cellular experience. Only the most rabid Apple lover would think otherwise while Nokia pretty much invented cellular technology. The fact that Nokia is challenging Apple on a few specific patents should be proof enough that they have thought this out from a technology prospective as well as maybe a: "let's stick it to Apple" prospective. The only real winners are the lawyers.

they both copied each other
my finnish friend
whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #88 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by markm49uk View Post

For years and years I swore by Nokia phones - I tried Sony/Ericsson, Samsung, Motorola(by far the worst!) etc but none had the familiar, well designed interface as the Nokia's had and generally the hardware was better built then the competition.

Slowly though I wanted to do more then just make phone calls - I wanted to browse the web and see the web as it was on my desktop, I wanted to send receive emails through various methods and it was at this point that I started to get frustrated with just how slow Nokia were in bringing these technologies to the market.

The speed of change has caught them cold much like the Internet explosion caught MS cold and they are scrabbling to catch up - I use my iPhone for just about everything now it really has become my tool of choice - it's not about a phone anymore it's about compact mobile computers that can also make phone calls. Complete reversal.

I would like to hope Nokia can turn it around but I fear they have too many entrenched mobile phone concepts that they will be unable to respond quick enough.

Sad but true.

i liked nokia too
i hope nokia reads what you wrote
and wakes up to the new user interface's that is now demanded by all world wide
star trek tech coming true
whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #89 of 105
Quote:

>>>>>> rabid fanboyism rabid fanboyism rabid fanboyism <<<<<<
what does that exactly mean
many here dude loved and supported the apple dream when apple was not so good
mac OS7.9 SUCKED
thru the bad and the good we stuck by apple
excused apple for any and all wrong doing .
and we still do
because we remember the dark lord who almost destroyed the whole computer world with bloated code and crashing viruses
we remember never getting a camera or printer to work right 2 days in a row
we remember 3 days tech holds and then being told we need a new p/c
we lost data every day while all our memory some how filled to the brim

and then we found lisa 11
and so on and so forth
good times and bad we supported apple's dream of think different
apple remembered us
they saw what we really wanted was EASE OF USE
we also wanted to greet the future with great toys
and apple has given us all that and more
we bought apple when guys like you laffed and made us the butt of your finnish jokes
we did buy's at aapl 13.34 a share
can you blame our intense feelings for this company ???
rabid fanboyism?? nahhh >>> just happy people
and you ?? a sad little man who blindly strikes out at happy people .

peace dude and happy new year

whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #90 of 105
I don't know what it means, check this, by the power of Google I have found the earliest reference to something I posted on the Internet:-

"15:48:33 02 Apr, 1996 EST
Microsoft sucks. Their crappy software is a dinosaur which chews up disk space for no apparent reason. Bill Gates is a megalomaniac geek who believes he knows what is best for us ie,OS-2, DOS and windows 95 (an IBM working like a Mac, almost).What original thinking, maybe next Microsoft will come up with a copy of the Amiga OS, but I doubt it (It puts too much power in the hands of the user) Anyhow as long as access to the net does not require Microsoft things will be OK
"

Fanboi, moi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep View Post

>>>>>> rabid fanboyism rabid fanboyism rabid fanboyism <<<<<<
what does that exactly mean
post #91 of 105
Quote:

they both copied each other
my finnish friend

BruceP,

You continue to make Finnish references to my nationality. Here is a hint. Read my signature and you will find all the info you need.

Just to be clear again, I am not FINNISH.....
post #92 of 105
So, lets have a review zewazir Good power adaptor? If so, I should probably buy 2. Ill save money and collect bonus points for sticking it to Apple for making failure-prone power adaptors a profit center. Of course, that is what they are doing. Why waste the money in court if it you dont think the competition eats into your revenues and profits? .

Thanks..
post #93 of 105
Quote:

rabid fanboyism?? nahhh >>> just happy people
and you ?? a sad little man who blindly strikes out at happy people .

peace dude and happy new year

Spoken like a true lemming....
post #94 of 105
So which model of Nokia are you going to get next?

After all around 500,000,000 lemmings will be making that decision this year

Quote:

Spoken like a true lemming....
post #95 of 105
Quote:

So which model of Nokia are you going to get next?

After all around 500,000,000 lemmings will be making that decision this year

I'll buy whatever I want to buy. If it works, and I need it, or even want it, I will purchase it. If Apple launches the tablet, I will get this too.

Does that clarify things for you?
post #96 of 105
Maybe I should buy a new car this year...

...have you ever considered entering politics?

Quote:

I'll buy whatever I want to buy. If it works, and I need it, or even want it, I will purchase it. If Apple launches the tablet, I will get this too.

Does that clarify things for you?
post #97 of 105
Quote:

Maybe I should buy a new car this year...

...have you ever considered entering politics?

I am terribly sorry if I have remotely given you the impression that I care one way or another what you do or do not do. For 2010, I will do my best not to make this mistake again.

My response was in reply to your nebulous question, which was in reply to my comment from some that obviously has some sort of comprehension issues. Either way. Whatever.
post #98 of 105
Well as you decided to throw the accusation of fanboy out there, I thought you may want to support your seemingly very pro-Nokia stance, evidence of which is peppered throughout your replies on various topics, you managed to avoid any committment on the matter as adroitly as any politician.

Quote:

I am terribly sorry if I have remotely given you the impression that I care one way or another what you do or do not do. For 2010, I will do my best not to make this mistake again.

My response was in reply to your nebulous question, which was in reply to my comment from some that obviously has some sort of comprehension issues. Either way. Whatever.
post #99 of 105
Quote:

Well as you decided to throw the accusation of fanboy out there, I thought you may want to support your seemingly very pro-Nokia stance, evidence of which is peppered throughout your replies on various topics, you managed to avoid any committment on the matter as adroitly as any politician.

In your myopic view of the world, any criticism of Apple or view that "oh my God there might be another brand that people admire" is viewed with xenophobic fever. Unlike you, I am not trying to take up residence in Steve Jobs' pants nor do I consider him a "buddy" like many here seem to consider themselves. I view Apple products as a cut above most and will most likely consider them before any other product. Maybe I should send you the receipts to the 5 iPhones I have purchased in the last 2 years or the 6 count em' 6 MacBook Pro's I've purchased in the past three years. You want the receipt for the Mac Mini I just bought or maybe the Apple TV receipt? Oh no, does purchasing all of these Apple products make me a fanboy? I hope not. I just like quality products, no matter the price. Anyway, with each successive post you prove yourself to be more and more clueless. I am very pro what works for my money. While I am fortunate enough to have the funds to support my technology habits/hobbies, I also like value. As someone that has used Ericsson, Sony Ericsson, Nokia's, Sony phones (no Motorola - I am sure you will agree with me on this point), etc... my tastes vary but my leanings are towards what will work for me best. Right now my arsenal includes an iPhone and a Nokia N86. The iPhone meets most of my daily needs while the N86 picks up the slack that the iPhone comes up short on.

Dear God, is this clear enough for you now or do I have to break out graphs and charts.
post #100 of 105
Quote:

BruceP,

You continue to make Finnish references to my nationality. Here is a hint. Read my signature and you will find all the info you need.

Just to be clear again, I am not FINNISH.....

whats so bad about being finnish .

i hear the chicks are hot
\\blond and blue eyes

lol
fix your sig
i am just joking about the finnish deal
so dude are you swedish ??
whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #101 of 105
Quote:

I made you some cookies.

nice
you guys rock
whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #102 of 105
Quote:

whats so bad about being finnish .

i hear the chicks are hot
\\blond and blue eyes

lol
fix your sig
i am just joking about the finnish deal
so dude are you swedish ??

His objection wasn’t about it being bad, but that it’s not accurate. He’s American, like you and me, but he works for the US State Department in FInland.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #103 of 105
Quote:

I don't know what it means, check this, by the power of Google I have found the earliest reference to something I posted on the Internet:-

"15:48:33 02 Apr, 1996 EST
Microsoft sucks. Their crappy software is a dinosaur which chews up disk space for no apparent reason. Bill Gates is a megalomaniac geek who believes he knows what is best for us ie,OS-2, DOS and windows 95 (an IBM working like a Mac, almost).What original thinking, maybe next Microsoft will come up with a copy of the Amiga OS, but I doubt it (It puts too much power in the hands of the user) Anyhow as long as access to the net does not require Microsoft things will be OK
"

Fanboi, moi?

wow
you nailed it dude
so long ago

peace
whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #104 of 105
Quote:

His objection wasnt about it being bad, but that its not accurate. Hes American, like you and me, but he works for the US Justice Department in FInland.

Thanks dude. What do you want to bet that he still does not get it? By the way I work for the State Department but close enough.
post #105 of 105
iPhones App Store features tons of apps sorted in various options, search, instant purchase, app sync, updates.. the best app store yet as long as the apps dont modify the core OS or interfere with how Apple runs their business.
The 1-month old device already has over 1,000 apps (if you know how to get your sources setup) and that doesnt include the Ovi Store which has not yet launched for the N900. Apps do everything from enabling screenshots to adding twitter support into contacts and messaging. The list of apps already present is extremely impressive and the fact that its an open source platform means more will come at a very fast rate. Notification of updates is also very well-managed. FYI- I have the i phone and as commercial it is, the hype is worth it because there is nothing else out there thats like it...I had a droid for a long time so I can talk

http://thenextweb.com/2010/01/03/nokia-n900-takes-6-stabs-iphone/

http://www.gibraltarvanlines.com/
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Nokia lodges complaint alleging Apple in broad patent violation