or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple likely to delay rollout of Windows 7 support

Apple likely to delay rollout of Windows 7 support - Page 2

post #41 of 77
I've one of the latest MacBook Pro with Win7 installed and I found some glitches that I hope Apple will fix with the official support. Some examples:

- The Magic Mouse works fine, even scrolling after the little hack, but I experience frequent latencies after I type something that don't happen on the Mac side
- Video drivers don't behave well once the laptop goes into sleep or freeze mode. When I go home and I connect it to my Cinema display, the machines wakes up, the screen does not. I need to hard reboot it all the time if I forget to diligently shut down the Mac before docking it to the Cinema display.
- Sound volume is generally poor, some apps like Skype will not recognize the internal mic or an external mic connected to the jack. Only USB mics will work

Nothing of the above is a showstopper, but as a former PC guy converted to a Mac machine I find that running Win7 is not a flawless experience in Bootcamp. I hope it's just an issue with the drivers.
post #42 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post

I think the virtues of each method largely depends on how often you need to use Windows and for what.

Well-put. No point investing in a WIndows machine if you only run WIndows software occasionally.
post #43 of 77
I haven't yet installed Windows 7, but I use both a virtual machine and Boot Camp. I boot Vista when I want to play a game, but for everything else Microsoft I run my Boot Camp parition in Parallels. I'm in no rush to upgrade since there is nothing broken yet.

I still run Leopard on my home iMac (though I run Snow Leopard on my MBP and Mini), while I wait for broken software to be updated for 10.6. Doing this means I have to boot Snow Leopard from an external Firewire drive if I want to play Dragon Age: Origins :/

So, I really have more issues with Mac OS at this point in time than I do with Windows.
post #44 of 77
If once in a blue moon anyone need to run a windows application they can do so in a virtual machine with a xp that by all accounts is much faster than 7.

Why would anyone want to tax their system with the train wreck that is 7 in a virtual machine set up (or even worse a dual boot scheme)?

No need for 7 really.
post #45 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by PXT View Post

I currently use bootcamp and have a copy of VMWare, so am interested to know...

When you start up your bootcamped Windows partition as a virtual machine, does Parallels then save the VM to your Mac, and therefore double up the size of Windows?

Once you've worked in Parallels, can you then bootcamp into Windows and carry on or are the changes not reflected back into the Windows partition?

Nope, no new files or anything... All that happens is the bootcamp drive on your desktop disappears and windows starts is it usally does... The only thing that may happen is windows may ask you to activate again since "your hardware changed" but you can activate an unlimited number of times
post #46 of 77
Apple likes spanking microsloft. Everything is nice and silicon is hot baby hot! Why not sing in the rain. Let Bill know that he deserves the best life can offer. I have made Bill rich. You have too. Why not just spank yourself for doing so. Smack Smack Smack. Or if your fat it would be something like this. Splat Splat Splat. Nick Nack Patty wack, give the dog a bone. Love ya baby. Oh ya.

Here is a group of microsloft workers. they say hello.

\

Mixed emotions on that one. Wonder why they are so messed up. I tried to get them to sing in chorus but they never seem to get it. Wonder if that is why microsloft is so lame.

People of microsloft's inner sphinkter unite.
An Apple man since 1977
An Apple man since 1977
post #47 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

If once in a blue moon anyone need to run a windows application they can do so in a virtual machine with a xp that by all accounts is much faster than 7.

Why would anyone want to tax their system with the train wreck that is 7 in a virtual machine set up (or even worse a dual boot scheme)?

No need for 7 really.

i agree, i couldn't care less if windows 7 is supported or not under snow leopard...however some unlucky people (ie me) have to use it for work, therefore have to install virtualbox, and then install it...
post #48 of 77
Hey man I just over drafted my account 1,000,000,00. Some body help me. I tried to help Billy boy. He needed to refuel his jet with peanut oil from Brazil. Bill needs to be up in the sky he loves it. That way he can look down his long wooden nose at us. Hey I hear a whistle.
An Apple man since 1977
An Apple man since 1977
post #49 of 77
Quote:

No need for 7 really.

Typically I put it on there for games, and I will occasionally encode video on the Windows side. The tools are a little more advanced and more numerous in the open source arena.
iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 24" Dual Core 3.06 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 4
iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 24" Dual Core 3.06 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 4
post #50 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Pretty straightforward. Anyone who wants to run it natively doesnt need to wait for Apple. Pretty much all the Vista drivers work with Win7. The only caveat is the touchpad driver, as mentioned above by Tcrown, but in all honesty I havent heard of a multi-touch trackpad that works great under any other vendor with Windows running.
http://www.simplehelp.net/2009/01/15...e-walkthrough/

Asus has decent trackpads, for the three family members that have them anyway. The latest one I bought for my mother in law has two finger scrolling and such, works quite well running Win7.
post #51 of 77
If Apple developers see it the way I do, I can understand why they haven't already fully supported Windows 7. Because as a Mac user if I were going to install a Windows OS on my Macs it would still be Windows XP. I haven't used a newer Windows OS since...
post #52 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by technohermit View Post

Asus has decent trackpads, for the three family members that have them anyway. The latest one I bought for my mother in law has two finger scrolling and such, works quite well running Win7.

Im a fan of Asus, not to be confused with Acer. Ive had and have seen consistent quality from them. I cant say that about others.

For starters, ClickPad was only released a few months back from Synaptic. Its essentially the same trackpad in the MB/MBPs with the integrated button. The problem is that this is one of the biggest complaints of the HP Envys as the driver or Windows OS has problems with even basic scrolling. I recall the review suggesting you hook up an external mouse.

Before that, Synaptic was a couple years behind Apple in releasing a dual-touch trackpad with gestures, which had its own share of problems due to a lack of adoption and OS integration. Here is a press release from less than 2 years ago introducing multi-touch.
http://www.synaptics.com/about/press...ook-pc-ease-us Its these little things like that make me appreciate the synergy of Mac HW and Mac OS X.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #53 of 77
Quote:

Not supported does not mean it’s not possible, obviously. The article should have mentioned that it’s easy to run Win7 natively on a Mac.

considering that Apple doesn't actually officially support Windows and Boot Camp use I don't see an update is even needed beyond perhaps a small handful of drivers for Apple created items like the keyboard and mouse. they aren't going to help you set it up and such. or fix it when it F's up. although here in SoCal they'd probably tell you to talk it to the Mission Viego MS store (and wish they could be there when you did to see if anyone grimaces at seeing a Mac coming in)

Most folks that really really feel the need are total geeks that can support it themselves and probably set it up in the first week already and have it going just fine. so who cares about Apple. Heck you don't need Boot Camp to do the install at all. I've done it just fine without it. its a few more steps but it worked.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #54 of 77
Quote:

Not supported does not mean its not possible, obviously. The article should have mentioned that its easy to run Win7 natively on a Mac.

Doesn't work with the latest 27" imacs unfortunately
post #55 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_snitch View Post

Doesn't work with the latest 27" imacs unfortunately

I'm running it without issue on a 27" iMac. What problem are you having?
post #56 of 77
I run Windows 7 Pro just fine in VirtualBox on my MBP. I only use it to run the occasional Windows app that doesn't have an OS X counterpart and to remote into my Windows Home Server box directly.
post #57 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofabutt View Post

If Apple developers see it the way I do, I can understand why they haven't already fully supported Windows 7. Because as a Mac user if I were going to install a Windows OS on my Macs it would still be Windows XP. I haven't used a newer Windows OS since...

I'm an 'apple developer' and a 'windows developer' and I disagree. Win7 is a helluva lot more 'mac like' than XP is.

You might like living in the past.
post #58 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

I run Windows 7 Pro just fine in VirtualBox on my MBP. I only use it to run the occasional Windows app that doesn't have an OS X counterpart and to remote into my Windows Home Server box directly.

Check out seamless mode...it's fantastic. Run host and client apps side by side without any of that host/client mouse b.s.
post #59 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Did you know you can just install the MS Remote software directly in OS X and bypass at least the need for it under a virtual session? It's native, free, and fully functional.
post #60 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albebaubles View Post

Check out seamless mode...it's fantastic. Run host and client apps side by side without any of that host/client mouse b.s.

All of the biggies offer virtual or seamless modes This is nothing unique to VirtualBox.

I'm curious. What 'mouse/client b.s.' are you referring to? I've tried Parallels and Fusion. I don't recall either having any mouse issues.
post #61 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

All of the biggies offer virtual or seamless modes This is nothing unique to VirtualBox.

I'm curious. What 'mouse/client b.s.' are you referring to? I've tried Parallels and Fusion. I don't recall either having any mouse issues.

Good to know about the seamless modes on the others...been a long time since I've used VPC.

Regarding the mouse b.s. I was referring to getting the mouse cursor in/out of the client window -- relinquishing control to the appropriate OS if you will.
post #62 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albebaubles View Post

Good to know about the seamless modes on the others...been a long time since I've used VPC.

Regarding the mouse b.s. I was referring to getting the mouse cursor in/out of the client window -- relinquishing control to the appropriate OS if you will.

Aah. Gotcha. They all use a seamless mouse transition, even when you're not working in the seamless mode, so it's not necessary to 'release' the mouse or any of that nonsense.

About the only time you do have to do that is if the virtual tools/drivers for the mouse aren't loaded. VirtualBox has the benefit of being open source (hence free), but they are all very similar in basic features.
post #63 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

Did you know you can just install the MS Remote software directly in OS X and bypass at least the need for it under a virtual session? It's native, free, and fully functional.

Thanks! I was already using the RDC OS X client to access the WHS console using a hack from Microsoft, but it never dawned on me to use it to remote directly into the desktop.
post #64 of 77
you mean it's not supported already? i hadn't noticed.
post #65 of 77
Helllo,

Yesterday i installed Windows 7 Ultimat on my MacBook. I followed the same procedure from Book Camp Utility as i did when I installed Windows XP in the past.

EVERYTHING is working PERFECTLY!

Ehternet, Wifi, Mighty Mouse, Sounds, Graphics... EVRYTHING

I am also using VMware 3 and I can access my BootCamp Partition of Windows 7 easily.

I don't know why Apple is saying that Windows 7 is not supported yet.

Thanks
post #66 of 77
I'd really like to see Apple finally put some effort into their trackpad driver. The current one is almost unusable, registering unintended clicks or missing intended ones, movement being either jerky or too fast and a slew of other problems. I had to resort to taking a mouse with me when I know I'll have to work under Windows.

Plus, since Windows 7 supports auto-dimming of the screen Apple would do its users a favor by adding a driver for the light sensor to boot camp. I really love that under OS X as it lessens the strain on the eyes due to suboptimal brightness settings.
post #67 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmak View Post

Helllo,

Yesterday i installed Windows 7 Ultimat on my MacBook. I followed the same procedure from Book Camp Utility as i did when I installed Windows XP in the past.

EVERYTHING is working PERFECTLY!

Ehternet, Wifi, Mighty Mouse, Sounds, Graphics... EVRYTHING

I am also using VMware 3 and I can access my BootCamp Partition of Windows 7 easily.

I don't know why Apple is saying that Windows 7 is not supported yet.

Thanks

What that means is if you call Apple, and say "I'm having a problem with Boot Camp and Windows 7", they will say "I'm sorry but Windows 7 is not supported yet".

That's it. It doesn't mean it won't install, or that you may not have any issues at all. It just means they aren't prepared to give any official Boot Camp support for Windows 7.
post #68 of 77
Windows 7 on it's own hard drive in my Mac Pro (running 10.6.2) and everything works except for the external FireWire iSight driver. I can't get the Windows 7 to get the driver and I tried everything I could.

Mac Pro Dual 2.8 Quad (2nd gen), 14G Ram, Two DVD-RW Drives, OS X 10.9
Mac Book Pro Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, SuperDrive, ATI X1600, 2GB RAM, OS X 10.7
1TB Time Capsule

Mac Pro Dual 2.8 Quad (2nd gen), 14G Ram, Two DVD-RW Drives, OS X 10.9
Mac Book Pro Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, SuperDrive, ATI X1600, 2GB RAM, OS X 10.7
1TB Time Capsule

post #69 of 77
Quote:

No need for 7 really.

Well, for some of us, there are several reasons we want, or need to run Windows XP/7 in full native mode. The most obvious is the ability to play true HD content on a Intel Mac - not the HD-lite (720p) content that OSX'ers have had to settle for being served up via Apple's iTunes portal.
In XP, or Windows 7, I am able to play and burn any full High Definition 1080p HD/Blu Ray video's without having to be shunted through Apple's Big Brother iTunes gauntlet. Currently, no OS virtualizers such as Parallels, or VM Ware support HD/Blu Ray content playback because of the fact that they can't fully utilize HDMI on the Mac's graphics card in emulation that's required for HD/Blu Ray playback.

I have never used Apple's Boot Camp app to install my Windows, or Linux machines on my Mac Pro. I simply insert the Windows, or Linux install CD/DVD and boot holding the c-key. From there, I just direct the OS to the drive I'd like it on (any empty drive that my OSX build is not already on), and then proceed to normally partition it in NTFS and away it goes. I extract the OSX drivers I need to properly run the Mac Pro's hardware (you can also easily get them from several online Hackintosh sites) and install them from a separately burned CD after the OS installation is complete. To boot into the Windows or Linux builds, I hold the options key at start-up and just select the drive I want. All Boot Camp really does is to actively partition either the primary drive, or another drive so that another OS can be installed on it. It also has OSX hardware drivers embedded into it (Which can easily be extracted). The exact same methods can be used for multiple OS's on a non-Apple machine as well - including OSX.

As far as Windows 7 being a "train wreck" of an OS - as you assert, it would seem that you have very little to zero actual knowledge, or experience working with it either in emulation, or natively. Windows 7 is straight-up faster than OSX 10.6 in almost every parameter. Where OSX 10.6 pulls ahead in overall performance is in it's more efficient multi-core utilization and memory usage. Try running Windows 7 in native mode and see for yourself what a "train wreck" OS can really do. While I still think that OX X is the best overall OS out there right now for everyday use, Windows 7 is a serious leap forward for MS and XP users. Your personal preferences and mileage may vary.....
post #70 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by dualie View Post

I haven't yet installed Windows 7, but I use both a virtual machine and Boot Camp. I boot Vista when I want to play a game, but for everything else Microsoft I run my Boot Camp parition in Parallels. I'm in no rush to upgrade since there is nothing broken yet.

I still run Leopard on my home iMac (though I run Snow Leopard on my MBP and Mini), while I wait for broken software to be updated for 10.6. Doing this means I have to boot Snow Leopard from an external Firewire drive if I want to play Dragon Age: Origins :/

So, I really have more issues with Mac OS at this point in time than I do with Windows.

I found that installing everything with Snow Leopard prevented the problems I have been reading about. I wonder if most problems are due to needing Rosetta or Quicklime 7.x not being in the default install.
post #71 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalMacRat View Post

Bootcamp requires your Mac boot as a Windows machine.

Virtual Box runs Windows in an app on your Mac OS.

and it's free...... worth checking out with the free win7 download
post #72 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevielee View Post

Well, for some of us, there are several reasons we want, or need to run Windows XP/7 in full native mode. The most obvious is the ability to play true HD content on a Intel Mac - not the HD-lite (720p) content that OSX'ers have had to settle for being served up via Apple's iTunes portal.
In XP, or Windows 7, I am able to play and burn any full High Definition 1080p HD/Blu Ray video's without having to be shunted through Apple's Big Brother iTunes gauntlet. Currently, no OS virtualizers such as Parallels, or VM Ware support HD/Blu Ray content playback because of the fact that they can't fully utilize HDMI on the Mac's graphics card in emulation that's required for HD/Blu Ray playback.

I have never used Apple's Boot Camp app to install my Windows, or Linux machines on my Mac Pro. I simply insert the Windows, or Linux install CD/DVD and boot holding the c-key. From there, I just direct the OS to the drive I'd like it on (any empty drive that my OSX build is not already on), and then proceed to normally partition it in NTFS and away it goes. I extract the OSX drivers I need to properly run the Mac Pro's hardware (you can also easily get them from several online Hackintosh sites) and install them from a separately burned CD after the OS installation is complete. To boot into the Windows or Linux builds, I hold the options key at start-up and just select the drive I want. All Boot Camp really does is to actively partition either the primary drive, or another drive so that another OS can be installed on it. It also has OSX hardware drivers embedded into it (Which can easily be extracted). The exact same methods can be used for multiple OS's on a non-Apple machine as well - including OSX.

As far as Windows 7 being a "train wreck" of an OS - as you assert, it would seem that you have very little to zero actual knowledge, or experience working with it either in emulation, or natively. Windows 7 is straight-up faster than OSX 10.6 in almost every parameter. Where OSX 10.6 pulls ahead in overall performance is in it's more efficient multi-core utilization and memory usage. Try running Windows 7 in native mode and see for yourself what a "train wreck" OS can really do. While I still think that OX X is the best overall OS out there right now for everyday use, Windows 7 is a serious leap forward for MS and XP users. Your personal preferences and mileage may vary.....

My issues with Win7 stem largely from the fact that my printers and my camcorder still aren't supported in it... it's still slower than Snow Leopard which gave a noticeable speed bump -win7's animations seem to make it slower than XP to me.. all in all I'm thinking of switching back to something that "just works" lol ... XP. I look forward to the day I don't need windoze anymore
post #73 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

Best way of installing 7?

Don't install it.

Stick with XP sp3. Just how much Windows do you guys need?

Long silver spoons, people...

Lemon Bon Bon.

i freed my self 20 yrs ago from msft
100 pure apple juice
whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #74 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal 9000 View Post

What is the real benefit versus a virtual machine? I prefer to have other OSes running in a window on a separate display.

Is that a joke? The difference is between a gimmick and having two separate computers. There are easily a 1000 reasons why a tech-savy person would want both OSX and Windows7. They are both very good and have their uses.
post #75 of 77
Quote:

No need for 7 really.

You are truly clueless. Of course your user name is like a loud warning that you're about write off an entire operating system and thousands of programs without giving a single reason, but that's still not any excuse.
post #76 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

You are truly clueless. Of course your user name is like a loud warning that you're about write off an entire operating system and thousands of programs without giving a single reason, but that's still not any excuse.

win7 sucks
w7 is a stripped vista that took 9 yrs to complete
just because msft has sunk so low that anything that does not crash and delete your work causes every one to go ape shit \\
mac os can run rings around any program from win7 \\
any program at all \\

msft office runs far faster and better on MACOS !
what does that tell you ??

whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #77 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep View Post

win7 sucks
w7 is a stripped vista that took 9 yrs to complete
just because msft has sunk so low that anything that does not crash and delete your work causes every one to go ape shit \\
mac os can run rings around any program from win7 \\
any program at all \\

msft office runs far faster and better on MACOS !
what does that tell you ??

That you are delusional..?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple likely to delay rollout of Windows 7 support