or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Is Aperture dead?

Is Aperture dead? - Page 2

post #41 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

That's a pretty dick head response.

Its not like condemed the damn thing. If you think I'm full of shit why don't you post something of substance.

PS I guess this guy doesn't know what he talking about either.

Hey, I wasn't saying you take pictures of cats and sneakers. I was talking about Ars' reviewers and many (not all) of the forum posters (see also: dpreview.com, ). Hey, I'm an amateur photographer, but my snapshots don't look like the demo photos that Ars' reviewer for Aperture 1.0 and 2.0 used. The only interesting photos in his review were ones that were submitted by other people.

That doesn't mean his opinion is worthless, just that it was very limited in scope. It would be like asking an American engine designer to review a European sport coupe and have him complain about the relative lack of absolute horsepower. Maybe it's a valid complaint compared to American cars, but there's so much more to a fine European car than RAW (pun intended) horsepower.

In terms of the review you linked to, this is what he wrote (emphasis mine):
Quote:
If all the features in Aperture work as advertised, it is very conceivable that it could replace the need for Photoshop for many photographers. Ive never said that before. Ive ALWAYS said the two programs compliment each other. Not any more. If Aperture 3.0 works as advertised, many of you will not need Photoshop. I sense a further chill in the Adobe and Apple relationship.

So, yes, he'll wait until version 3.01 comes out. But he's pretty much sold on the product.

This is no surprise. The same thing happened with Aperture 1.0 and 2.0, and happens with each release of Final Cut Pro: Professionals always wait for a maintenance release. Hell, they do that with OS X itself!

In any case, I imported a 90+ GB Aperture 2.0 library and had zero problems (except the acknowledged problem of my registration key getting screwed up in the upgrade, and having to use both my 2.0 and 3.0 upgrade keys again--no biggie).

I also imported 3 iPhoto libraries of 3-12 GB each and had no problems there. I left face detection on during import, but I opened the Activity window while it was importing, and Paused the Faces activity until the Previews activity was finished. Maybe that's why I had better luck than most?

Aperture always uses <1 GB of RAM on my 4 GB MBP. However, I have not used brushes extensively yet--I'm still learning. Maybe my opinion will change as I make more changes--but hopefully 3.0.1 will be out by then.
post #42 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikertwin View Post

Hey, I wasn't saying you take pictures of cats and sneakers. I was talking about Ars' reviewers and many (not all) of the forum posters (see also: dpreview.com, ). Hey, I'm an amateur photographer, but my snapshots don't look like the demo photos that Ars' reviewer for Aperture 1.0 and 2.0 used. The only interesting photos in his review were ones that were submitted by other people.

That doesn't mean his opinion is worthless, just that it was very limited in scope. It would be like asking an American engine designer to review a European sport coupe and have him complain about the relative lack of absolute horsepower. Maybe it's a valid complaint compared to American cars, but there's so much more to a fine European car than RAW (pun intended) horsepower.

In terms of the review you linked to, this is what he wrote (emphasis mine):

So, yes, he'll wait until version 3.01 comes out. But he's pretty much sold on the product.

This is no surprise. The same thing happened with Aperture 1.0 and 2.0, and happens with each release of Final Cut Pro: Professionals always wait for a maintenance release. Hell, they do that with OS X itself!

In any case, I imported a 90+ GB Aperture 2.0 library and had zero problems (except the acknowledged problem of my registration key getting screwed up in the upgrade, and having to use both my 2.0 and 3.0 upgrade keys again--no biggie).

I also imported 3 iPhoto libraries of 3-12 GB each and had no problems there. I left face detection on during import, but I opened the Activity window while it was importing, and Paused the Faces activity until the Previews activity was finished. Maybe that's why I had better luck than most?

Aperture always uses <1 GB of RAM on my 4 GB MBP. However, I have not used brushes extensively yet--I'm still learning. Maybe my opinion will change as I make more changes--but hopefully 3.0.1 will be out by then.

Cool. My bad. I flew of the handle.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Is Aperture dead?