or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Report: Apple Event set for January 26, 2010

Report: Apple Event set for January 26, 2010

post #1 of 77
A new report bolsters the rumored January 26 date assigned to an Apple Event planned at Yerba Buena Center in San Francisco. The event is widely believed to serve as the debut of the company's new slate as an expansion of its iPhone/iPod touch platform.

The brief report, published by Fox News today, offers additional confirmation of the date first cited by the Financial Times last week.

While the original report indicated that Apple had reserved the space to make "a major product announcement," today's report indicates that sources have first hand knowledge that the event will be associated with a product in the "mobility space."

The rumors certainly aren't any surprise to observers following the trail of evidence pointing to the introduction of what is generally expected to be a 10-inch slate-form factor device running the iPhone OS.

Apple has reported told some of its iPhone developers to prepare their apps to run on a larger device, which is not a major undertaking given the flexible foundation supporting today's iPhone apps. The new slate device is also expected to serve as a medium for a new array of iTunes digital downloads, from iTunes LP and Extras to novel class of digital books, magazines, and newspapers.

Reports that Apple is hosting its own January media event at the same venue it has historically used for its fall iPod-related music events also explains why the company announced last year that it would no longer be presenting a keynote or even a booth at IDG's Macworld Expo event, which has typically been scheduled for the first week of January. The event date set in late January allows the company more time to plan and prepare for the slate introduction.

The earlier timing of the independent Macworld Expo has been cited as problem for Apple, as it forced the company to scramble together its keynote and presentation efforts immediately after the December holidays, a month that serves as the primary vacation time for many the company's hard-driven engineers.

Death of the trade show

The company has weaned itself from trade shows in general over the past decade, first pulling out of the summer Macworld Expo after IDG decided to move its venue from New York to Boston in 2003. Apple CEO Steve Jobs asked the show's promoters to keep the event in New York to keep it closer to the company's big publisher base there, and when IDG refused Jobs simply pulled Apple's involvement out entirely, which subsequently killed the summer expo.

In place of the summer Macworld Expo, Apple expanded its own Worldwide Developer's Conference and incorporated QuickTime Live into a mid-year keynote and week-long training session that has rapidly expanded into an event that sells out quickly. The company also began hosting its own "Apple Events" in other months to introduce new generations of the iMac, iPod, and software releases.

In 2008, Apple similarly pulled out of the National Association of Broadcasters convention, which it had previously used to debut new releases of Final Cut Studio and related products. The company explained at the time that it "is participating in fewer trade shows every year because often there are better ways for us to reach our customers.

Apple has also ignored general consumer shows such as the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, which it regularly overshadowed (such as with the its its solo debut of the iPhone at Macworld Expo 2007), and the annual Mobile World Congress in Barcelona, which despite a regular no-show by Apple has served as a place for competitors to talk about the iPhone and their attempts to provide a response to it.
post #2 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

While the original report indicated that Apple had reserved the space to make "a major product announcement," today's report indicates that sources have first hand knowledge that the event will be associated with a product in the "mobility space."

Oh goody! A new line of geriatric walkers!!!!111!!!11!!
post #3 of 77
No one has first hand nothing and the tablet won't run "the iPhone OS". Sometimes you just have to go with your gut, the tablet will be bigger (and I don't mean physically) than simple a larger iPod touch. It will be more significant than that, I just know it. Like I have been saying, Apple not adding significant (fancy) features and charging $29 was a way of buying them time while they worked on bigger things, like Mac OS X touch. It was the old misdirection trick.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #4 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

No one has first hand nothing and the tablet won't run "the iPhone OS". Sometimes you just have to go with your gut, the tablet will be bigger (and I don't mean physically) than simple a larger iPod touch. It will be more significant than that, I just know it. Like I have been saying, Apple not adding significant (fancy) features and charging $29 was a way of buying them time while they worked on bigger things, like Mac OS X touch. It was the old misdirection trick.

I believe you mean YOU hope it's more than the iPhone OS 3.x.

I believe if it's true and there is no multi tasking then it will fail as quick as the Newton and AppleTV.

If there is more, then it will likely be a success. The lack of essential features in the iPhone OS will not be appealing to the market as anything more than a niche device in a tablet.

Price and OS will set the future of the already late to market tablet.

I don't need a history lesson on the iPhone or iPod, so do me favor and if you're going to reply to my posting, leave out how Apple is the only innovator of all that is tech. The iPhone doesn’t multi task 3rd party apps.
post #5 of 77
Quote:

What purpose would be served in putting a general purpose desktop OS on a slate device oriented around sandboxed third party apps and digital content?

This is not a Handheld PC designed by Microsoft. It's a targeted consumer device with an intended audience and well conceived feature set.

The only reason to put the full Mac OS X on it would be to allow it to run crap from the 90s like Office and Photoshop. Apple has a modern software model that is humiliating both the conventional desktop and the PC-mobile Microsoft model as well as the Java/Flash/Android/BREW model of other failed mobile platforms.

The $29 Snow Leopard was to deploy the latest 64-bit OS widely across all Intel Mac systems. It did not "buy any time" in any sense, and certainly didn't do anything to distract attention away from Apple's future development efforts.
post #6 of 77
Can't wait! It is virtually assured that this will be about the Tablet, whatever it may happen to be. After thinking every which way about what I would like this to be, and what the rumors seem to suggest I still can't make any predictions or expectations. It can be a Kindle killer or it could be an iPod Touch Pro or a Macbook Air Light. Kinda hope its something that even the rumor mill could not have predicted. I am ready to be blown away.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
post #7 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngusYoung View Post

I just have to laugh. How can you be "late to market" when there is no market? Unless you think this will be an iKindle book reader by apple (which would be a disaster at the prices that have been speculated) then Apple is not up against a single established compeditor. If they succeed, they will make the market. If they fail there will probably not be such a market for a while.

Slate/tablet computers had been subsumed by the smartphone market before they could grow beyond a niche. Can Apple bring them back and make them popular? That is the question. But late to market? That is a joke!

(I do agree that price and OS are key, though...)
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
post #8 of 77
I recently talked to a someone who works at Apple and asked him about the tablet rumors. All that he would say is that Apple will be releasing a totally new product in the next few months. Whether that new product is a tablet computer or something totally under the radar, he refused to say.
post #9 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtamesis View Post

I recently talked to a someone who works at Apple and asked him about the tablet rumors.

99% of Apple employees know absolutely zero about new products.
The only thing they know about new products is what they read here.
The only employees who know anything are those directly involved in development.
post #10 of 77
I am looking forward to this. They would not put on a big event like this unless they had some special product(s) and/or services up their sleeves...
post #11 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

99% of Apple employees know absolutely zero about new products.
The only thing they know about new products is what they read here.
The only employees who know anything are those directly involved in development.

Let's just say that this person I talked to is involved with testing new products.
post #12 of 77
Quote:
The company has weaned itself from trade shows in general over the past decade, first pulling out of the summer Macworld Expo after IDG decided to move its venue from New York to Boston in 2003. Apple CEO Steve Jobs asked the show's promoters to keep the event in New York to keep it closer to the company's big publisher base there, and when IDG refused Jobs simply pulled Apple's involvement out entirely, which subsequently killed the summer expo.

Apple wasn't quite recovered yet when IDG decided to move to the less expensive Boston in order to save money.

Also it seems Apple didn't want to subsidize the expo in order to keep it in NY.

Quote:
In 2008, Apple similarly pulled out of the National Association of Broadcasters convention, which it had previously used to debut new releases of Final Cut Studio and related products. The company explained at the time that it "is participating in fewer trade shows every year because often there are better ways for us to reach our customers.

The customers they were referring to was the larger home consumer market, thus Apple Stores etc.

Quote:
Apple has also ignored general consumer shows such as the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, which it regularly overshadowed (such as with the its its solo debut of the iPhone at Macworld Expo 2007), and the annual Mobile World Congress in Barcelona, which despite a regular no-show by Apple has served as a place for competitors to talk about the iPhone and their attempts to provide a response to it.

Yea Apple doesn't want to mix with the rest of sludge, but it does tap and most likely has people attending those expos.

For instance at the last CES, San Disk introduced the SDXC, a SD card with up to 2TB of storage and speeds faster than a 7,200 RPM hard drive.

New Mac's introduced (just shortly after CES) with SD slots can access the higher memory, but not the speed.

So apparently Apple knew ahead of time and got cozy with SD slots all of a sudden, they didn't need to attend the show.
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
post #13 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

I just have to laugh. How can you be "late to market" when there is no market? Unless you think this will be an iKindle book reader by apple (which would be a disaster at the prices that have been speculated) then Apple is not up against a single established compeditor. If they succeed, they will make the market. If they fail there will probably not be such a market for a while.

Slate/tablet computers had been subsumed by the smartphone market before they could grow beyond a niche. Can Apple bring them back and make them popular? That is the question. But late to market? That is a joke!

(I do agree that price and OS are key, though...)

kindle is Ok but it needs to be in color and have multimedia capability

my 2 year old loves my iphone and i have 2 pages of kids apps. a tablet with interactive children's apps will sell very well
post #14 of 77
Quote:

I believe if it's true and there is no multi tasking then it will fail as quick as the Newton and AppleTV.

If there is more, then it will likely be a success. The lack of essential features in the iPhone OS will not be appealing to the market as anything more than a niche device in a tablet.

I don't need a history lesson on the iPhone or iPod, so do me favor and if you're going to reply to my posting, leave out how Apple is the only innovator of all that is tech. The iPhone doesn’t multi task 3rd party apps.

Newton? AppleTV?
"You're simply babbling incoherently", Is my reply to your posting.
As for "niche device in a tablet"; I prefer my niche device in a Caplet. It's easier to swallow.
post #15 of 77
There is a lot more to iphone OS than the apps that come with iPhone. There is a real likelyhood that any new large screen devices will come with different apps more suitable for the screen size. These apps will still use iPhone OS UIKit. In any event apps are not the OS.

That being said some apps will likely to be the same across the different sized devices in the family. It all depends upon how useful new interface objects/features would be on the larger screen.

As to multitasking being exposed to new apps that would be easy to do with iPhone OS too. The capability is already there but Apple wisely decided it was not useful on the initial iPhone OS devices. On a tablet there is no reason to think it couldn't be a useful feature. All you need is a Touch based way to access it.

Dave
post #16 of 77
Segway PUMA with iPhone integration. You heard it here first.

The 10" screen is just part of the package.

Think Mobile®.
post #17 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple has reported told some of its iPhone developers to prepare their apps to run on a larger device, which is not a major undertaking given the flexible foundation supporting today's iPhone apps.

I’d like to know more about their request. Asking for apps to be optimized for “full screen” is ambiguous.

Quote:
The new slate device is also expected to serve as a medium for a new array of iTunes digital downloads, from iTunes LP and Extras to novel class of digital books, magazines, and newspapers.

I’m liking this part even though it’s still just a rumour.

Quote:
The earlier timing of the independent Macworld Expo has been cited as problem for Apple, as it forced the company to scramble together its keynote and presentation efforts immediately after the December holidays, a month that serves as the primary vacation time for many the company's hard-driven engineers.

I have a feeling it was a lot more than that. I am sure that MWSF would have given Apple any date it wanted. I’m guessing Apple just didn’t want to be tied down so far in advance, especially when today’s technology and Apple’s place in the public eye makes easy work of allowing them to hold an ad hoc event with only a couple days notice to reporters, if need be.

Quote:
Apple CEO Steve Jobs asked the show's promoters to keep the event in New York to keep it closer to the company's big publisher base there, and when IDG refused Jobs simply pulled Apple's involvement out entirely, which subsequently killed the summer expo.

I find this very funny. You don’t play hard ball in the sandbox with the kid who brings the toys. Especially when he’s ruthless bastard.

Quote:
Apple has also ignored general consumer shows such as the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas

Anyone here going to CES besides me?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #18 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

There is a lot more to iphone OS than the apps that come with iPhone. There is a real likelyhood that any new large screen devices will come with different apps more suitable for the screen size. These apps will still use iPhone OS UIKit.

I would think so, but I think having the ability to run iPhone apps in a window on a tablet would be a nice feature. It makes the decision to by the device a little more palatable if my iPhone apps work with the device, even if there is an App Store for the tablet. I would expect its running ARM and that it will sync thorough iTunes.
post #19 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockpop View Post

What purpose would be served in putting a general purpose desktop OS on a slate device oriented around sandboxed third party apps and digital content?

The only reason to put the full Mac OS X on it would be

....would be because all Apple's devices (Macs, iPhone, and this) all run the same Mac OS X kernel, and allows developers a common development platform with differentiating aspects peculiar to the device. The Mac's basic frameworks are the AppKit and Foundation frameworks. The iPhone's are the UIKit and the Foundation frameworks. This simplifies development and unifies the user experience.
post #20 of 77
Quote:

No one has first hand nothing and the tablet won't run "the iPhone OS”.

think that comment will get misread as you suggesting it will be a native build of Mac OS X on the tablet.

Quote:
It was the old misdirection trick.

That is interesting. Could the rewrite of SL been to get a better foundation not only for Mac OS, but for other OS X flavours?

Quote:

II don't need a history lesson on the iPhone or iPod, so do me favor and if you're going to reply to my posting, leave out how Apple is the only innovator of all that is tech.

I love how you tell people what and how they can reply to your posts. BTW, don’t reply to this post until you are like an apoplectic troll who is wearing his ass for a hat. If you’re going to be civil and objective I don’t want to hear from you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockpop View Post

Not being iPhone OS doesn’t mean it will be Mac OS. Apple already has a third flavour of OS X with AppleTV OS and a tablet would seem to have many aspects of both iPhone OS and Mac OS ,with it leaning toward the former so I would expect any tablet from Apple to have an entire new OS X flavour that is designed specifically for the device.
post #21 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Id like to know more about their request. Asking for apps to be optimized for full screen is ambiguous.

Im liking this part even though its still just a rumour.

I have a feeling it was a lot more than that. I am sure that MWSF would have given Apple any date it wanted. Im guessing Apple just didnt want to be tied down so far in advance, especially when todays technology and Apples place in the public eye makes easy work of allowing them to hold an ad hoc event with only a couple days notice to reporters, if need be.

I find this very funny. You dont play hard ball in the sandbox with the kid who brings the toys. Especially when hes ruthless bastard.

Anyone here going to CES besides me?

Actually, I wish I was going to that Apple January event. At the very least you would think Apple would have mercy and simulcast the event live over the internet.
But I don't think they will.
post #22 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

Actually, I wish I was going to that Apple January event. At the very least you would think Apple would have mercy and simulcast the event live over the internet.
But I don't think they will.

Sorry buddy, it's probably still going to be us hitting the Refresh button on our browsers a few hundred times a minute following liveblogs and so on.
post #23 of 77
Quote:

At the very least you would think Apple would have mercy and simulcast the event live over the internet. But I don't think they will.

I dont think they need to go that route. They already have dozens of live bloggers sites in attendance working concert dictating every word and occurrence while uploading photos.

If you dont like reading those then you have sites like AI that piece it all together very quickly all the good bits in detailed articles that put most news sites to shame.

After a few hours the QuickTime stream goes live and then some hours after that the iTunes podcast is ready for download.
post #24 of 77
Quote:

I dont think they need to go that route. They already have dozens of live bloggers sites in attendance working concert dictating every word and occurrence while uploading photos.

If you dont like reading those then you have sites like AI that piece it all together very quickly all the good bits in detailed articles that put most news sites to shame.

After a few hours the QuickTime stream goes live and then some hours after that the iTunes podcast is ready for download.

I'm sorry but watching slow loading pictures while some foul mouthed, snot nosed kid of a blogger type his badly written blog posts just is NOT THE SAME as seeing and hearing Steve Jobs live on stage unveiling the next big thing.

Can you imagine having to see the original moon landings, instead of on television, through blog posts from the smartalekdujour from gizmodo? I don't think so!

Damnit I demand to see the Apple Tablet unveiled live!
post #25 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Sorry buddy, it's probably still going to be us hitting the Refresh button on our browsers a few hundred times a minute following liveblogs and so on.

Hells no! If I can't ditch work, hop on a plane to CA, and somehow sneak into the Yerba Center, then I'm going to watch the itunes recording in the evening after work.

Please someone tell me that macrumors will put up a non-spoiler link to the presentation after it is recorded.
I would rather see it live but if not then I guess a recording will have to do.
post #26 of 77
Quote:

Could the rewrite of SL been to get a better foundation not only for Mac OS, but for other OS X flavours?

Nah, I think SL was to consolidate the Mac operating system around Intel/ x86/ 64-bit and set their targets for what they want Mac OS X and Mac OS X Server to be going into 2015.

The platform of the iPhone OS is so significant in so many ways, the tablet will be a bit of a "growing up" of the iPhone OS.

There's something fishy in this whole tablet thing. Everyone's calling it tablet and eBook reader and all that, netbook-killer, ultraportable something something... But Apple is probably going to blow the lid off this market by defining something else... Something, not quite expected, not quite enormously selling as the iPhone, but something that will keep Apple ticking along, chugging along, into the next few years.

It will be kind of closing the loop on the digital ecosystem that Apple offers, though by 2012 I expect Apple to get into making cars and renewable energy thingies.
post #27 of 77
Quote:

I'm sorry but watching slow loading pictures while some foul mouthed, snot nosed kid of a blogger type his badly written blog posts just is NOT THE SAME as seeing and hearing Steve Jobs live on stage unveiling the next big thing.

Can you imagine having to see the original moon landings, instead of on television, through blog posts from the smartalekdujour from gizmodo? I don't think so!

1) AI finally had a nice auto-updating blog for the last Apple event. I do tend to prefer Engadget’s speed, but with speed you loose initial details so it’s good to have two.

2) Then wait it out until the video is posted. If you want to stay off the web that day, except for email, I’ll send you a PM to your AI account so you can watch it fresh like it’s live-ish.

3) Maybe they’ve finally worked it out to offer live streaming but something tells me that the buzz generated from the tech blogs and other sites are a much more powerful marketing device and cheaper, too.
post #28 of 77
Quote:

Hells no! If I can't ditch work, hop on a plane to CA, and somehow sneak into the Yerba Center, then I'm going to watch the itunes recording in the evening after work.

Please someone tell me that macrumors will put up a non-spoiler link to the presentation after it is recorded.
I would rather see it live but if not then I guess a recording will have to do.

I work for an Apple reseller so I will have to update our reseller website, so no staying up for me (I'm in Asia)... It's next morning, go to work, then Boom! digest everything as efficiently as possible and start updating our reseller website.

When the dust settles I'll download the Keynote and then take my time to absorb the RDF suitably.

I *wish* I could just jump on a plane and gatecrash Yerba Buena Center... Just gotta find me some guaranteed-non-explosive underpants. (Was that in bad taste?)
post #29 of 77
Quote:

When the dust settles I'll download the Keynote and then take my time to absorb the RDF suitably.

post #30 of 77
Quote:

1)3) Maybe theyve finally worked it out to offer live streaming but something tells me that the buzz generated from the tech blogs are other sites are a much more powerful marketing device and cheaper, too.

Apple saves tons of cash by not streaming it live and yeah, it generates even more hype because everyone is trying to find out what the hell is going on and all the tech blogs are just dying to get the news out as fast as possible.
post #31 of 77
Quote:

One small step for man, one giant leap for the blogosphere. Wait, wha?
post #32 of 77
If a 10 inch screen can run the iPhone OS, this gives no excuse to Apple not to increase the screen size of the iPhone with bigger screen devices like the HD2 on the market now.
post #33 of 77
Quote:

I work for an Apple reseller so I will have to update our reseller website, so no staying up for me (I'm in Asia)... It's next morning, go to work, then Boom! digest everything as efficiently as possible and start updating our reseller website.

Completely off subject, but i'm curious. How did you end up in Asia?
Or are you native
post #34 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGSStateStudent View Post

If a 10 inch screen can run the iPhone OS, this gives no excuse to Apple not to increase the screen size of the iPhone with bigger screen devices like the HD2 on the market now.

That makes no sense. The iPhone OS can already output to TVs which are much bigger than 10” The size of the TV has nothing to do with the limitations of the HW to push out a signal. What does matter is the USER INTERFACE. Do you want 2” icons for this exact iPhone OS running on a 10” screen or do you want the same size icons with about 100 on each Home Screen? Neither is ideal thus iPhone OS will not be on any 10” tablet. It will use many elements from the iPhone OS but it will be a different limb of OS X.

post #35 of 77
Quote:

That makes no sense. The iPhone OS can already output to TVs which are much bigger than 10” The size of the TV has nothing to do with the limitations of the HW to push out a signal. What does matter is the USER INTERFACE. Do you want 2” icons for this exact iPhone OS running on a 10” screen or do you want the same size icons but about 120 on each Home Screen? Neither is ideal thus iPhone OS will not be on any 10” tablet. It will use many elements from the iPhone OS but it will be a different limb of OS X.

It does make the most sense. A 4th limb of OS X. Leaned more towards SL but with a seperate App store segment. I really want the ilife/iwork products available on it tho..and also the '10 versions for my coming i5.. Yay 2010
post #36 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by alectheking View Post

It does make the most sense. A 4th limb of OS X. Leaned more towards SL but with a seperate App store segment. I really want the ilife/iwork products available on it tho..and also the '10 versions for my coming i5.. Yay 2010

I would think that they will have at least a viewer for iWork apps that is much better than the iPhone OS version. Ive looked over the iWorks apps today after a previous discussion and there are a lot of stuff that wont be easily accomplished with fingers as your main input device. If people were complaining about how poor iWork is on Mac OS I cant imagine how pejorative the comments would be about iWork on Tablet OS, so I have to assume itll be some hybrid viewer app that is included, unlike Mac OS, and better than iPhone OS, but still very limited in capacity.

PS: I would also expect an IR port which may go along with the new executive styled Apple Remote. Theyve stopped shipping Apple Remotes in their Macs awhile back and the new MBs dont even have IR ports. Outside the AppleTV, It looks like this new remote may have been designed for the tablet in a professional capacity.
post #37 of 77
Quote:

I would think that they will have at least a viewer for iWork apps that is much better than the iPhone OS version. Ive looked over the iWorks apps today after a previous discussion and there are a lot of stuff that wont be easily accomplished with fingers as your main input device. If people were complaining about how poor iWork is on Mac OS I cant imagine how pejorative the comments would be about iWork on Tablet OS, so I have to assume itll be some hybrid viewer app that is included, unlike Mac OS, and better than iPhone OS, but still very limited in capacity.

PS: I would also expect an IR port which may go along with the new executive styled Apple Remote. Theyve stopped shipping Apple Remotes in their Macs awhile back and the new MBs dont even have IR ports. Outside the AppleTV, It looks like this new remote may have been designed for the tablet in a professional capacity.

Whatever they do, its obvious they cant ignore it. Maybe a iWork "light" with minimal editing options. Mostly a viewer, as you said. And I didn't even begin to ponder the remote yet, but great point. I noticed they stopped shipping them also but I guess always assumed it was just to make more $ on us. I haven't seen the new remote in person, but it does look quite executive. I never found to much use for mine except for changing my itunes song from across the room, when the blue moons out. More of a novelty for me, but still fun. I am hoping the ATV will adapt more of a Wii style point and click, but the remote app also works well.
post #38 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtamesis View Post

Let's just say that this person I talked to is involved with testing new products.

Hmm... someone in product testing... check. Someone in product testing who has a friend in Nebraska... check. Well, nice knowing you, friend. (ducks as Apple's ninjas swarm)

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #39 of 77
Quote:

No multi-tasking isn't due to lack of innovation, it is the first thing that comes to mind when designing a mobile device like a phone. If you are even remotely involved in any system design, you would appreciate that from a holistic user experience and cost/resource standpoint, multi-tasking is too costly. It takes away more than it provides. If you consistently use these multi-tasking phones, you will see that performance and battery life suffer tremendously. At some point in the future, it will be plausible.

I think the innovative thing in this case was to disallow multi-tasking.
Number of people in ignore list : 1
Number of people in ignore list : 1
post #40 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

For instance at the last CES, San Disk introduced the SDXC, a SD card with up to 2TB of storage and speeds faster than a 7,200 RPM hard drive.

The SDXC isn't an SD card, it is a SDXC card which happens to have the same form factor as a SD card.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Report: Apple Event set for January 26, 2010