or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple TV 3.0 update not helping sales as AirPort routers lose share

Apple TV 3.0 update not helping sales as AirPort routers lose share - Page 6

post #201 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Which model of the PS3 is the fully-protected one you talk about?

the one i own from 2008 ...
post #202 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Meh...you can given the low resolution. Frame rates would be low and it would be something of a bandwidth hog depending on how it's done. But I agree, no one would bother doing it that way. Especially given that an ARM based aTV could run the apps natively.

here is a very informative today's TUAW article on the issues of translating iPhone screen resolutions to the new Tablet, much of which would be almost the same for apps TV display via AppleTV as well.

http://www.tuaw.com/2010/01/04/iphon...t-resolutions/
post #203 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

the one i own from 2008 ...

Hmm, The one I own from 2007, and the one I own from 2009 both work via a DVI port, maybe your monitor doesn't support HDCP over DVI
post #204 of 212
Quote:

yes, i was disappointed to just learn that the new Mini Display Port enforces HDCP. but just with the Apple FairPlay DRM on HD movies, not AACS DRM'd media.

Well considering you can't get any AACS media on the Mac, maybe that may be the reason why?

But then again, Steve Jobs is the largest shareholder in one of the members of the AACS LA, so you never know how much longer it will be.
post #205 of 212
Quote:

Hmm, The one I own from 2007, and the one I own from 2009 both work via a DVI port, maybe your monitor doesn't support HDCP over DVI

correct. but can you show BluRay movies that way?
post #206 of 212
[QUOTE=jfanning;1543456]Well considering you can't get any AACS media on the Mac, maybe that may be the reason why?/QUOTE]

yup. plus no OS support for it either as far as i know.
post #207 of 212
Quote:

correct. but can you show BluRay movies that way?

Yes, I just plugged one of my PS3's into a Dell S2209WFP, and have Star Trek playing at 1080p at the moment
post #208 of 212
Quote:

Yes, I just plugged one of my PS3's into a Dell S2209WFP, and have Star Trek playing at 1080p at the moment

oh, i see. you use a computer monitor. i'm connected to a Sony TV. also, i've read some of the latest BD movies with the recent updated BD stuff require 100% HDCP/HDMI or show nothing.
post #209 of 212
Quote:

oh, i see. you use a computer monitor. i'm connected to a Sony TV. also, i've read some of the latest BD movies with the recent updated BD stuff require 100% HDCP/HDMI or show nothing.

It is no different, if the device fully supports DVI/HDCP then you can connect a PS3 to it
post #210 of 212
I don't have an HDTV. Just a 32" thingy I bought about 5 years ago, at most, 'cuz it was cheap.

My AppleTV is hooked up to it, running at 480i, the only possibility that worked on my TV. And it works just fine. I've watched a number of TV shows and movies, as well as listened to music from my iTunes library via my TV's speaker system. Plus, of course, seeing my various iPhoto stuff that we have synced.

And we rather enjoy watching YouTube on the AppleTV, if only because it's nice and big, as opposed to how crappy it looks when you scale up on your monitor.
post #211 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganMiscreant View Post

I don't have an HDTV. Just a 32" thingy I bought about 5 years ago, at most, 'cuz it was cheap.

My AppleTV is hooked up to it, running at 480i, the only possibility that worked on my TV. And it works just fine. I've watched a number of TV shows and movies, as well as listened to music from my iTunes library via my TV's speaker system. Plus, of course, seeing my various iPhoto stuff that we have synced.

And we rather enjoy watching YouTube on the AppleTV, if only because it's nice and big, as opposed to how crappy it looks when you scale up on your monitor.

Could this be because my AppleTV is the now discontinued model?
post #212 of 212
In January a regulation from the EU came into force, saying that standby mode for consumer products must not exceed 2W (from 2014 just 1W).

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/...45:0052:en:PDF

Apple is still selling the AppleTV in Europe. I thought it would be covered by the new regulation.
I do not own an AppleTV. Does Apple offer the standby mode? I read that you can put it to sleep(?) mode by pressing the play button for 6 seconds.
I was hoping that Apple could be forced to create a better and/or more energy efficient AppleTV.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple TV 3.0 update not helping sales as AirPort routers lose share