or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Chrome edges out Safari, iPhone OS continues growth in December - report
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Chrome edges out Safari, iPhone OS continues growth in December - report - Page 3

post #81 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archipellago View Post

The truth is they have very little mindshare in computer hardware

You need to look up what mindshare is. It has nothing to do with actual sales. Apples mindshare is very high in many countries but that doesnt mean people need or can afford them.

Any company that sells has a monopoly on market segment where all others combines account for under 10% of the market and where those <10% have to sell their comparable product at more money just to turn a little profit because they have no economics of scale you have mindshare.

The same goes for the iPhone. Its not the most commonly sold phone in the world and Apple certainly doesnt sell the most phones of any vendor but they do sell the phone that all other phones are compared to regardless if you need or can afford it. That is mindshare.

If you wish to infer that Apples low numbers compared to Dell and HP make it seem like its doing better than it really is you need to look at how it was doing in the mid 90s when it had an even lower marketshare and unit sales. You can also look at how much operating profit that the others are making from their PCs instead of implying that a $250 Acer netbook counts as much as a Mac sale because you witlessly feel that unit sales are the only metric worth having.


Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Yeah that come down to a difference in style and intent. Since Apple has not made Safari with intent of third party extensions. I couldn't agree its something they fizzled on. Its not something they find all that important.

I don't even think Apple's intent is to chase market share with Safari. I think Apple's primary goal for Safari is to push web standards for all browsers and that goal has been successful.

I dont think they ever intended to add that either. They did make the plug-in a separate process and make Safari 4 64-bit. Things I expect Chromium to do eventually.

I hope that Apple makes each Safari tab its own process if it can help speed and stability.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #82 of 161
Apple is the 20th most recognized global brand in the world, BEST GLOBAL BRANDS That is mindshare.

Since computers are machines whose performance is measurable and quantifiable. When ever anyone attempts to argue how Apple is over priced, I asked them to point out any other computer brand that can out perform an Apple machine for a lower price. No one has yet been able to do it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Archipellago View Post

The truth is they have very little mindshare in computer hardware, even littler marketshare and their position of financial strength has come from profit per unit (or ripping off their loyal customers) and not from selling lots of high end machines.
post #83 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by piot View Post

Ironic that you should pick those two figures.

If the Mac was to reach 7+% market share then Apple would probably be making more money from computers than today's market leader (on 19%) HP.

And if the Mac were to grab double digits (even low double digits.. 12... 13) Apple would potentially be making even more money than Microsoft.

iGuess that's not what you meant though.

No, that's not what I mean. It is very good that Apple users send more money to wall street than mainstream users. That is what allows Apple to give us such great additions to our lives!

What I really mean is that Apple is poised to get to double-digit worldwide market penetration, and it is likely to happen in the next few decades, at the rate they are going.
post #84 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Since computers are machines whose performance is measurable and quantifiable. When ever anyone attempts to argue how Apple is over priced, I asked them to point out any other computer brand that can out perform an Apple machine for a lower price. No one has yet been able to do it.


Is there an Apple laptop that outperforms a Dell Studio 15 with an i7 chip, a 1080p screen and a BluRay drive? At any price?

The Dell is around $1200 or less.
post #85 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


PS: I never thought the iPod would be a flop but I admit having absolutely no interest in it until the iPod Mini came out. That is when, for me, it became a must have product.

Hope you didn't think I was including you in my rant?

My point was (is) that after thousands of stories written by the tech press explaining how the iPod would fail (eg. "history repeating itself", WMA better than "Apple's AAC, iPod killer 1, 2 3 400 etc, Subscription rulz, Origami, Portable Media Center etc etc etc etc).... it didn't fail. Instead it became a cultural phenomenon.

So left with very little to criticise regarding the iPod strategy, the usual suspect pundits turned to explaining how there was "no iPod Halo Effect".

It's old news! We've just had a couple of years of rehashed and re-titled (iPhone) iPod stories. Expect another couple years of iTablet nay-sayers .
post #86 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by piot View Post

.... it didn't fail. Instead it became a cultural phenomenon.

The same is true of every product that Apple has ever released. Steve bless us.
post #87 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archipellago View Post

the rest of the figures in your post mean nothing to the figures i quoted what they were/are when x was y or b = c is irrelevant.

Yes I was nitpicking. But all your figures were wrong. ALL of them. You want relevance? Then use the correct data.


Quote:
The truth is they have very little mindshare in computer hardware, even littler marketshare and their position of financial strength has come from profit per unit (or ripping off their loyal customers) and not from selling lots of high end machines.

You really are one confused troll aren't you? Apple's mind share is massive compared to it's actual position in the computer market. And their financial strength has come from expressly avoiding the low end of the market.

Quote:
Wonder if the discussion to stop selling computers has been started within Apple.?

Yep. You just mentioned the high profits Apple makes on it's computers... and now you suggest they should shut the business down. Make up your mind!

If you're going to carry on with these kind of posts, I suggest just sticking with pithy one liners, like "Apple sux" etc. It will be much less taxing for you
post #88 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

Is there an Apple laptop that outperforms a Dell Studio 15 with an i7 chip, a 1080p screen and a BluRay drive? At any price?

The Dell is around $1200 or less.

There are faster machines that are cheaper, but that is only comparing certain HW features. Making a good machine isn’t just about making it as fast as possible with the higher resolution display with little to no consideration for other things. You have to take into consideration other factors that cost money for a machine that many Mac users appreciate. Like thickness, weight, durability, display and backlight type not just display resolution, battery life, etc.

For instance, consider the 15” HP Envy. It’s not much thicker than the MBPs, it has a QUAD Core-i7 and huge multi-touch trackpad with integrated button like the MB/MBPs. That sounds great, eh? But then consider that despite not having any internal optical drive it still can only be used for a couple hours before the battery dies because the 45nm quad-core Intel Core i7 has a TDP of 45W which besides using a lot of power also requires additional cooling. Also consider that the drivers for the trackpad are so bad that reviewers have stated that an external mouse is necessary.

The next MBPs are likely going to use DUAL-core Core-3 and Core-5, with the next MBA using the DUAL-core Core-i7s. People will be complaining that it’s not quad-core and that other vendors had quad-core last year blah blah blah, but that is a myopic view that isn’t considering anything but a couple superficial specs, not the entire product… and I didn’t even scratch the surface.


Quote:
Originally Posted by piot View Post

Hope you didn't think I was including you in my rant?

Nah, I was just adding my 2¢.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #89 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

No, that's not what I mean.

Don't worry. I think we all know where you are coming from.
post #90 of 161
Don't just throw out specs, lets have some performance benchmarks. Real life performance and battery life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

Is there an Apple laptop that outperforms a Dell Studio 15 with an i7 chip, a 1080p screen and a BluRay drive? At any price?

The Dell is around $1200 or less.
post #91 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

.
Google's new Chrome browser has passed Apple's Safari in December with a 4.63 percent market share compared to Safari's 4.46. This places Chrome in third-place behind number-two Firefox with around 25 percent and first-place Internet Explorer at more than 60 percent.

But, IE has only 37%, FireFox has 57% and chrome has 8%. Take a look: http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp
post #92 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewpaulsimmons View Post

But, IE has only 37%, FireFox has 57% and chrome has 8%. Take a look: http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

That is measuring w3schools.com stats. They are not indicative of the internet as a whole.

PS: I wonder what AIs usage stats are?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #93 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Don't just throw out specs, lets have some performance benchmarks. Real life performance and battery life.

"Thanks to a new quad-core 1.6-GHz Intel Core i7 processor, part of a high-performance series designed with gamers and power users in mind, as well as 4GB of RAM and a 7,200-rpm hard drive, the Studio 17 notched 5,207 on PCMark Vantage. That’s more than 1,100 points above the desktop replacement category average (4,074), although another new quad-core Intel Core i7 machine, the $1,349 Acer Aspire 8940G, scored 5,962." --Laptopmag.com

"Our configuration included a 2.66-GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor and a robust 4GB of DDR3 RAM (expandable to 8GB for $1,000 extra), which enabled the MacBook Pro to achieve a score of 3,525 on our PCMark Vantage benchmark" --Laptopmag.com

Do your own research. Can you find better information? It took me about 2 minutes to find the above.

And take off your blinders. Apple sells mainstream, middle-of-the-road hardware in pretty looking boxes at silly-expensive prices. That's nothing new.

Apple does not even sell a laptop with high-end hardware or performance. They sure are pretty tho. That is, unless one wants to wacth a BluRay disk at full resolution.
post #94 of 161
You may be right as far as most people are concerned, but I use Safari because overall I find it to be the most Mac like browser. Further, it integrates with OSX better then all the other browsers that run on a Mac. Safari has enough minor quirks that I have wanted to see if anything else performs better, but I always switch back. The big thing Chrome has going for it is that it seems a bit quicker then Safari, but it also has less features. For instance, it doesn't utilize gestures on the trackpad.

Sadly enough for Window users, IE is definitely not the the best browser out there and most people probably do use it because it is the default. On Windows, Safari is still a good browser (better then IE), but it doesn't have the advantage of as tight an integration with Windows as it does OSX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJRabon View Post

I think you're correct, but for the wrong reasons. Safari and IE are "default browsers" and people who use them generally use them because it's "just what their computer does". Not to say that Safari isn't a vastly superior browser to IE, but very few people decide to use safari in a positive sense. They just use it because that is the macs default web browser.
post #95 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Sadly enough for Window users, IE is definitely not the the best browser out there and most people probably do use it because it is the default. On Windows, Safari is still a good browser (better then IE), but it doesn't have the advantage of as tight an integration with Windows as it does OSX.

I like IE's integration the way I like Safari's integration on Mac OS X. The major downfall for IE is browser engine but Google has resolved that with Google Frame.

PS: If you are using a web browser on battery power the default browsers are beat for getting the most time out of your notebook. On Windows, Safari was found to be considerably worse in this area than any of the other 3rd-party browsers.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #96 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

Facts are facts. And mark my words, the Mac will be a viable platform by mid-century. Those are the facts. Read them and weep.

How is it not viable currently? I know you're only trolling, but I'd be interested in your answer all the same.


Quote:
Originally Posted by iGenius View Post


The Dell is around $1200 or less.

Who cares? It doesn't run OS X. No OS X, no sale.
post #97 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

Do your own research. Can you find better information? It took me about 2 minutes to find the above.

And take off your blinders. Apple sells mainstream, middle-of-the-road hardware in pretty looking boxes at silly-expensive prices. That's nothing new.

Apple does not even sell a laptop with high-end hardware or performance. They sure are pretty tho. That is, unless one wants to wacth a BluRay disk at full resolution.

Perhaps you should do some research after getting your myopia resolved. You've completely missed the point.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #98 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumper View Post

I dont believe this for a second. I can't believe how naive people are if they believe all these surveys. The internet must have 100's of survey results everyday. Show me how you got these numbers, how big was your pool, did the same address use both Sarfari and Chome? Show me the proof.

Why don't you click on the links in the story that take you to the data?
post #99 of 161
Chrome is wonderful browser, mostly because it's so fast and the seamless way it integrates with other Google services. Color me impressed. That said, I have yet to try it on a Mac, but I am antsy to do so.
Chrome is infinitely faster than IE and Firefox on the Windows platform. I am curious to see how it performs on a Mac, and how it compares to Safari. From what I've seen of the screenshots though, it seems Google missed the boat on a more Mac-like integration.
http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/quotes.asp

Never argue with idiots, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. - a bumper sticker

Never quote idiots, they just clog up...
Reply
http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/quotes.asp

Never argue with idiots, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. - a bumper sticker

Never quote idiots, they just clog up...
Reply
post #100 of 161
Quote:

The so-called ad blockers for Chrome are misnomers as they don't block ads at all but just hide them after the ad has been downloaded. Chrome does not have a content policy API like Firefox which allows to filter requests before they are actually executed. The real Adblock Plus therefore saves HTTP requests, DNS resolving and unmarshaling and decoding of data. Plus, badly written sites will block the engine from loading the rest of the page when waiting for a slow ad server to respond. *No* optimization to JavaScript or other parts of the engine can make up for the time lost waiting for some ad/tracking servers to respond.

Plus, ABP has filter subscriptions with a much more in-depth syntax (type specification, exceptions, whitelists, etc.).
post #101 of 161
HP, among others are shipping their new windows 7 laptops in europe google-i-fied with both google desktop enabled and also chrome as the default browser. This will certainly add to the usage of chrome as the users picking up these machines don't seem to know the difference and just accept this as the norm. Many even think that this is just how the new windows is.
post #102 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post




Who cares? It doesn't run OS X. No OS X, no sale.

The guy who claimed that Mac hardware beats everything else at the same or lower price points. He /should/ care, but I suspect he would rather not have his bubble burst.

Fact is, Apple does not make any high-end performance laptops. Not even at the silly-high prices they charge. Instead, they make mainstream, mediocre hardware at higher-than-high-end prices.
post #103 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Perhaps you should do some research after getting your myopia resolved. You've completely missed the point.

Here's the point I was responding to:

"Since computers are machines whose performance is measurable and quantifiable. When ever anyone attempts to argue how Apple is over priced, I asked them to point out any other computer brand that can out perform an Apple machine for a lower price. No one has yet been able to do it."

What point did I miss? Of course, Tenobell will likely repeat his claims despite them being refuted - his point is just so ridiculously wrong that only delusion can explain his making it in the first place.

Someone else asked for benchmarks, so I gave them, despite the fact that the specs alone make clear that the Macbook Pro has "measurable and quantifiable " deficiencies compared to machines costing MUCH less.
post #104 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by piot View Post

What's the point of trolling and lying at the same time?

iPod has been on the market for 8 years. Not 9.
Only 7.5 years... on the Windows side.
250 million sold. Not 210
The Mac's US market share is nearly 9%. Not 5%.

Around the launch of iPod for windows Apple had:
Around 20 million Mac users.
Annual Mac sales of just over 3 million.
Approx. 3% of the US computer market.
And 1.8% of the worldwide computer market.

Today:
Over 40 million Mac users.
Annual Mac sales of just nearly 11 million.
Nearly 9% of the US computer market.
And 3.6% of the worldwide computer market.

So in the iPod timeframe the relevant Mac stats have either doubled... or tripled.

That's not mythical. Just fact.

\\the halo effect still may be all a dream
could it be a simple that apple at the end of the day made a fantastic device
and people got tired of the dark lord gates ??

or maybe it all true
the halo the hulu >3 chip lap tops> glass screens etc etc and OSX !! a PERFECT STORM OF cool things driving ever increasing sales and ever more legacy sales on the second markets .

as a fanboy already owning 5 laptops and 2 imacs i still bought a 15" MBP fully loaded
what scares me is that apple in a down turn market sold very well . and every apple product is still at a new stage <> cept for 2 classics >
when the market comes back and 300 million school boy/girls returning to class needing electronics
or 60 fortune 500 companies tired of clone box crap seek a return to quality machines

halo or need for speed ??
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #105 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

The guy who claimed that Mac hardware beats everything else at the same or lower price points. He /should/care, but I suspect he would rather not have his bubble burst.

Fact is, Apple does not make any high-end performance laptops. Not even at the silly high prices they charge. Instead, they make mainstream, mediocre hardware at higher-than-high-end prices.

hey troll boy
MY
15" MBP 3.02GHz 500G 7200 rpm 3 chip setup proves you as a silly little man with no money to buy an apple machine.

my laptop out performs all of them except for the monster Allen ware $4500 lap top which is a suit case in reality . Your genius has walked around making agitating silly statements allover the place .

Come to my house your rudeness and play call of duty at full graphics and see no blur no lost frames full sync on every frame .

you had your giggle
we are all amused since you're the first jerk to come here and play these funny sarcasm games
ha ha


happy new year and i hope you get your first mac soon dude
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #106 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewpaulsimmons View Post

But, IE has only 37%, FireFox has 57% and chrome has 8%. Take a look: http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

i wonder how many people have all 3 browers ??

AOLis still alive by the way
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #107 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archipellago View Post

years? fine ok, may only be a few months but just to correct your other 'facts' before we get into the witless ramblings.

According to the last reported figures (Sept 2009) Apple had sold 220million (yes I was out by 10m) iPods. Figures reported by BBC and Wiki. I'm sure it'll be x million more now but I was going (or trying) to go by last reported figures. ok?

marketshare (as reported in this thread) was 5.11%.There is no specific context to it though so how when and why is debatable.

Worldwide Apple will sell approx 12m machines out of a TOTAL market of 280m (approx)
you do the math...

http://www.purchasing.com/article/27...ck_in_2010.php


the rest of the figures in your post mean nothing to the figures i quoted what they were/are when x was y or b = c is irrelevant.


so, in conclusion we can deduce that whilst Apple like to throw around words and phrases like record growth and xxx percent increase.

The truth is they have very little mindshare in computer hardware, even littler marketshare and their position of financial strength has come from profit per unit (or ripping off their loyal customers) and not from selling lots of high end machines.

There is no Halo affect that translates from PMP's to Computers. Arguably a bigger factor for Mac growth was Vista. A fact Apple readily acknowledges.

Apple has bet the farm on iPhone, might be a good bet, might not. Time will tell. Wonder if the discussion to stop selling computers has been started within Apple.?

Whatever Apple's good and bad points, as a viable truly mainstream OS they are as Ballmer stated... a rounding error.

you have said all this backwards and wrong
but your point is weirdly true

every vista /win7 ad increases apple sales
that dell boy running with a red DELL laptop thru the streets being chased by girls and boys increased apple sales
those msft laptop movie making chick ads increased APPLE SALES
every time someone want's to play a tune on the spot and can't pushes him for an ipod
my point
there is REAL unfilled computing needs not filled out there
.AND any google opr whatever ad will bring up thoughts of what best product fill that need . not only for the product in the ad !!!
happily a dell dude boy ad drives apple sales for that reason
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #108 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archipellago View Post

years? fine ok, may only be a few months but just to correct your other 'facts' before we get into the witless ramblings.

According to the last reported figures (Sept 2009) Apple had sold 220million (yes I was out by 10m) iPods. Figures reported by BBC and Wiki. I'm sure it'll be x million more now but I was going (or trying) to go by last reported figures. ok?

marketshare (as reported in this thread) was 5.11%.There is no specific context to it though so how when and why is debatable.

Worldwide Apple will sell approx 12m machines out of a TOTAL market of 280m (approx)
you do the math...

http://www.purchasing.com/article/27...ck_in_2010.php


the rest of the figures in your post mean nothing to the figures i quoted what they were/are when x was y or b = c is irrelevant.


so, in conclusion we can deduce that whilst Apple like to throw around words and phrases like record growth and xxx percent increase.

The truth is they have very little mindshare in computer hardware, even littler marketshare and their position of financial strength has come from profit per unit (or ripping off their loyal customers) and not from selling lots of high end machines.

There is no Halo affect that translates from PMP's to Computers. Arguably a bigger factor for Mac growth was Vista. A fact Apple readily acknowledges.

Apple has bet the farm on iPhone, might be a good bet, might not. Time will tell. Wonder if the discussion to stop selling computers has been started within Apple.?

Whatever Apple's good and bad points, as a viable truly mainstream OS they are as Ballmer stated... a rounding error.

you have said all this backwards and wrong
but your point is weirdly true

every vista /win7 ad increases apple sales
that dell boy running with a red DELL laptop thru the streets being chased by girls and boys increased apple sales
those msft laptop movie making chick ads increased APPLE SALES
every time someone want's to play a tune on the spot and can't pushes him for an ipod
my point
there is REAL unfilled computing needs not filled out there
.AND any google opr whatever ad will bring up thoughts of what best product fill that need . NOT ONLY FOR THE PRODUCT IN THE AD !!
happily a dell dude boy ad drives apple sales for that reason .
scary huh ??
i am in best buys all the time and see so many dells flying out the window
yet little by little people meander over to the apple table and marvel at the clean wonderful
uni bodiness of it all . once in a great while some one buys one .YET
the sales people tell me i am wrong
they wander around the dells alot marvelling at 600 dollar miracle machines but in the end an apple is
sold anyway .
3 yrs ago this was not the case

peace and sorry for my 09 rants
10 i will hold it down to 2 lines max
9
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #109 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep View Post

\\the halo effect still may be all a dream
could it be a simple that apple at the end of the day made a fantastic device
and people got tired of the dark lord gates ??

or maybe it all true
the halo the hulu >3 chip lap tops> glass screens etc etc and OSX !! a PERFECT STORM OF cool things driving ever increasing sales and ever more legacy sales on the second markets .

Bruce, may I kindly suggest that you tone down your rhetoric?

These kind of posts simply attract troll moths to a fanboy flame.
post #110 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep View Post

MY
15" MBP 3.02GHz 500G 7200 rpm 3 chip setup proves you as a silly little man with no money to buy an apple machine.

my laptop out performs all of them except for the monster Allen ware $4500 lap top


Your computer has an inferior, last-year's-tech CPU. No DMI, and with just a duo-core? DMI provides for a 10Gb/s bidirectional data rate. It simplifies the architecture and adds performance. Look it up.

And your digitally clueless beauty queen costs more than twice as much as a Dell Studio with a Quad-core mobile processor, a 1080p screen, a BluRay drive, Firewire, an eSata port, bigger battery and lots more.

I'm sure that your Mac is a competent machine.

But compared to other alternatives (not just "monster Allen ware" (sic), it is both underpowered and overpriced. Likely Apple will "refresh" the MacBook line to use modern components...some day. In the meantime, Apple's lineup is, well, underpowered and overpriced.


Apple does not currently make high-end laptops. Not even at twice the price of a typical high-end machine.
post #111 of 161
After downloading Chrome, and playing with it, for just a few minutes, it does appear to be faster (but what in hell can one tell in a few minutes).

It also appears to be somewhat of a minimalist at style or design, both of which likely help to make it faster.

For me, it's a lot like the iPhone. Some complain it's slow, blah, blah, blah, but folks, it's not just a phone, hell it's a small laptop for gods sake.

So having Chrome give you just what you need to surf the web (I'm sure there's more to it once I dig into it more), should allow it to be faster then Safari and others, as WE, the users of Safari and others, have asked that they do so much more then surf the web. I think that if we asked Apple to make a simple, fast browser, they could in fact do it, but we'd better not ask them to make it do, this, that and the other thing, and expect it still to be fast.

IMHO

Skip
post #112 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep View Post

happy new year and i hope you get your first mac soon dude

Just to set the record straight, the first Apple product I bought was in 1984. Were you born then?
post #113 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

I think that you are confused. This is NOT a Windows machine. None of this is ever necessary with a Mac.

Hahaha, funny.


Mac's are not immune to problems, but it's a lot less than Windows because there are no viruses or worms for Mac's, unlike the hundreds of thousands of viruses for Windows.

Sure there are a few trojans and quite a few rootkits for Mac's, but one has to be tricked to install it.
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
Reply
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
Reply
post #114 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erunno View Post

The so-called ad blockers for Chrome are misnomers as they don't block ads at all but just hide them after the ad has been downloaded. Chrome does not have a content policy API like Firefox which allows to filter requests before they are actually executed. The real Adblock Plus therefore saves HTTP requests, DNS resolving and unmarshaling and decoding of data. Plus, badly written sites will block the engine from loading the rest of the page when waiting for a slow ad server to respond. *No* optimization to JavaScript or other parts of the engine can make up for the time lost waiting for some ad/tracking servers to respond.

Plus, ABP has filter subscriptions with a much more in-depth syntax (type specification, exceptions, whitelists, etc.).

Nice to know that. Thanks, I'll stick with Firefox.
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
Reply
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
Reply
post #115 of 161
Interesting you did not link to where these quotes came from. Because they are likely taken from entirely different articles published at different times and taken out of proper context.

You are reaching pretty far in attempt to use two disjointed quotes that ultimately prove nothing.


Quote:
Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

"Thanks to a new quad-core 1.6-GHz Intel Core i7 processor, part of a high-performance series designed with gamers and power users in mind, as well as 4GB of RAM and a 7,200-rpm hard drive, the Studio 17 notched 5,207 on PCMark Vantage. That’s more than 1,100 points above the desktop replacement category average (4,074), although another new quad-core Intel Core i7 machine, the $1,349 Acer Aspire 8940G, scored 5,962." --Laptopmag.com

"Our configuration included a 2.66-GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor and a robust 4GB of DDR3 RAM (expandable to 8GB for $1,000 extra), which enabled the MacBook Pro to achieve a score of 3,525 on our PCMark Vantage benchmark" --Laptopmag.com

You did not refute anything. You took two random quotes from two random articles and put them together with no context and no explanation of how they are connected.

Quote:
What point did I miss? Of course, Tenobell will likely repeat his claims despite them being refuted - his point is just so ridiculously wrong that only delusion can explain his making it in the first place.

Someone else asked for benchmarks, so I gave them, despite the fact that the specs alone make clear that the Macbook Pro has "measurable and quantifiable " deficiencies compared to machines costing MUCH less.
post #116 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

Here's the point I was responding to:

"Since computers are machines whose performance is measurable and quantifiable. When ever anyone attempts to argue how Apple is over priced, I asked them to point out any other computer brand that can out perform an Apple machine for a lower price. No one has yet been able to do it."

What point did I miss? Of course, Tenobell will likely repeat his claims despite them being refuted - his point is just so ridiculously wrong that only delusion can explain his making it in the first place.

Someone else asked for benchmarks, so I gave them, despite the fact that the specs alone make clear that the Macbook Pro has "measurable and quantifiable " deficiencies compared to machines costing MUCH less.

Again, youre only looking at a few specs that wannabe geeks think are the only things that matter to everyone. By your example its like saying a Big Mac performs better than a nice steak because the Big Mac has more calories and cost a lot less, but I prefer the steak every time. BTW, youre only using the word perform in a very limited way to mean computing performance.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #117 of 161
That's the whole point. No I see no articles where anyone has said that PC's out perform Mac's at a lower price. When it comes to notebooks performance can include size, weight, battery life.

Apple does not sell a notebook that will compromise size, weight, and battery life for diminishing returns on hardware performance.


Quote:
Originally Posted by iGenius View Post


Do your own research. Can you find better information? It took me about 2 minutes to find the above.

And take off your blinders. Apple sells mainstream, middle-of-the-road hardware in pretty looking boxes at silly-expensive prices. That's nothing new.

Apple does not even sell a laptop with high-end hardware or performance. They sure are pretty tho. That is, unless one wants to wacth a BluRay disk at full resolution.
post #118 of 161
@ iGenius,
Q: Why even choose a notebook over a desktop, especially one that is made by a PC vendor, not one you built yourself. You can get a lot more “performance” out of a desktop you build yourself at much lower price than any PC vendor’s notebook.

A: Computing performance isn’t the only metric that conscientious buyers should consider.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #119 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

@ iGenius,
Q: Why even choose a notebook over a desktop, especially one that is made by a PC vendor, not one you built yourself. You can get a lot more performance out of a desktop you build yourself at much lower price than any PC vendors notebook.

A: Computing performance isnt the only metric that conscientious buyers should consider.

Never, ever, ever, will I own another desktop. Aside from the AIO iMac paradigm, desktops are going the way of the dinosaurs.
post #120 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Never, ever, ever, will I own another desktop. Aside from the AIO iMac paradigm, desktops are going the way of the dinosaurs.

Except for building several Hackintoshs over the last few years using some old desktops, I havent used a desktop as my personal machine since about 1998-99. My first one was from work; it was a $5000 Compaq with no optical drive and a keyboard that would come up and out (sideways) when the lid was opened.

I will admit that the new iMacs were nice enough to make me reconsider that position, even if for a second but having a 7 hour battery in a 1, 5lb machine pretty much seals it for me.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Chrome edges out Safari, iPhone OS continues growth in December - report