or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple's Wed., Jan. 27 event could include iPhone 4.0 SDK [u]

Apple's Wed., Jan. 27 event could include iPhone 4.0 SDK [u]

post #1 of 69
A new report alleges that Apple will indeed host a late January event to introduce new products, though it will be one day later than was previously rumored.

Citing unnamed sources, Digital Daily claims that Apple's product announcement will occur Wednesday, Jan. 27 at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts in San Francisco. Details on what will be announced were not given, though it is widely expected that Apple will introduce a touchscreen tablet.

"So that rumored Apple event everyones been jawing about these past few weeks?" John Packowski wrote. "Its on and its going to be a big deal."

Weeks ago, the Financial Times reported that Apple had rented the stage in San Francisco for "several days," starting with Jan. 26. Apple often uses the stage at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts for special media events.

Last week, that report was bolstered by yet another claim that Apple would have a product unveiling in late January.

Tablet-related rumors and news have intensified in recent weeks as a January unveiling is expected. Reports have suggested that Apple will show off new hardware, but would not release it for some time, much like was done with the original iPhone. Analyst Gene Munster with Piper Jaffray believes that Apple's tablet will ship by the end of March.

Some developers have reportedly been asked to prepare full-screen demos of their iPhone applications for an event in late January. Select developers were told to make their apps run at a resolution beyond the fixed 320x480 pixel size of the iPhone and iPod touch screen. It was said that applications that can support the new larger screen size will run "just fine" on the new hardware.

Update: French Apple site Mac4Ever also claimed Monday that a new iPhone 4.0 beta SDK includes a "simulator" that aims to make it easy for developers to adapt to different screen resolutions. Some developers are allegedly already working with the beta SDK.

Engadget also reported it has heard from sources "very familiar with the situation" that officials have been given information on a tablet device set to debut this month. The device will have a new screen size and resolution different from the one currently found on the iPhone and iPod touch.
post #2 of 69
Those darn "unnamed sources"!

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #3 of 69
Don't play with fire, Apple. You are eating the future of the silent majority in the industry.

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

post #4 of 69
Man I wish they would hold it sooner. The anticipation is killing me. Maybe they're tyring to squeeze every drop out of the hype machine they can. And that's without a single piece of direct advertising! I'm sure their stock will inch up higher than the high they've recently seen as indicated in the following article:

http://www.alltabletnews.com/2009/12...es-a-new-high/
post #5 of 69
Tablet.

Apple's done the iPod, the iPhone, the notebook, the desktop, and content distribution, and is working on the Cloud.

Now it's time to redefine the way we use "computers." That's what's next. The notebook will, in time, give way to the Tablet, and Apple wants to make sure it's done on their own terms a la iPhone.

It couldn't be more clear.
post #6 of 69
It's possible they will play off of whatever is introduced at CES to determine which product they want to introduce. Nothing like letting everyone else show their hands before slapping down a royal straight flush.

Also... a new SDK introduced at an event like this? I don't think so. They'd want to invite developers almost exclusively for Q&A sessions and hands on training. I don't buy this for a second. IF there's a slate/tablet/Mac touch introduction, they might push HTML 5 for web devs first.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #7 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Tablet.

Apple's done the iPod, the iPhone, the notebook, the desktop, and content distribution, and is working on the Cloud.

Now it's time to redefine the way we use "computers." That's what's next.

In terms of 'what's next,' I think there's something in-between that Apple has its sights on: the 'family room'.

@TV and its (hopefully, future) mutants have quite some opportunity yet.
post #8 of 69
nothing to do with a tablet, this event is just to show off that the iPhone apps will run nicely on your new iMac 27" at 2560x1440!

on a more serious note, what if all the iPhone apps were cross platform, say, Mac and Apple TV? Wouldn't that be an interesting announcement? Most apps would suck, but...
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
post #9 of 69
What about product announcements on the 26th and the 27th? Has Apple ever done anything like that? There are so many products that could be introduced.

Jan 26th:
New 1080p Apple TV (maybe even with apps and an sdk)
New 1080p iTunes service, potential subscription options/live streaming
New 720p iPod/iPhone dock, iPhone OS updated to allow 720p playback on the latest models of iPhone and iPod Touch.
New macbook pros with i5/i7 and possibly 16:9 screens (the iMac went that way after all, whether we like it or not)
Blu ray build to order options and OSX update for BD playback

Jan 27th:
The tablet revealed in all its glory (shipping in March or something)
SDK released, book store announced, etc. etc.

I know something like that probably wont happen, but I do feel that this is the year that Apple will get serious about video and invading the living room. It would make sense to announce those products before the tablet steals all the thunder. One can dream anyway.
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
post #10 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandau View Post

nothing to do with a tablet, this event is just to show off that the iPhone apps will run nicely on your new iMac 27" at 2560x1440!

on a more serious note, what if all the iPhone apps were cross platform, say, Mac and Apple TV? Wouldn't that be an interesting announcement? Most apps would suck, but...

Apple TV needs its own apps, not the iPhone's (touch interface vs remote input). Those apps could work alongside with apps on an iPhone though.
post #11 of 69
If I get banned for this or sued, I'm only linking to another site and have nothing to do with the origin of these images.

I personally don't believe the specs are true, but it's good discussion talk.
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
post #12 of 69
In terms of "new" products, I wonder what comes after a tablet. Whatever it is, Apple is probably already working on it. Could it be an Apple Internet TV? I've heard some people speculate that Apple going to become a phone service provider.
post #13 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by primedetailer View Post

In terms of "new" products, I wonder what comes after a tablet. Whatever it is, Apple is probably already working on it. Could it be an Apple Internet TV? I've heard some people speculate that Apple going to become a phone service provider.

Oh, I think we've basically mapped out their product introductions for the next 5 or 6 years by this point.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #14 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Some developers have reportedly been asked to prepare full-screen demos of their iPhone applications for an event in late January. Select developers were told to make their apps run at a resolution beyond the fixed 320x480 pixel size of the iPhone and iPod touch screen.

(the following is a poor attempt at humor based on this story. Again this is not real)
In other news, Apple has pulled some applications from current iTunes App store.
"Sources" say that it has to do with violations of non-disclosure agreements signed by developers but would not elaborate.
post #15 of 69
Quote:

Now it's time to redefine the way we use "computers." That's what's next. The notebook will, in time, give way to the Tablet, and Apple wants to make sure it's done on their own terms a la iPhone.

I could see potential for the Macbook being replaced by the Tablet. So in a product lineup you'd have:

iPhone/iPod Touch > Tablet > Macbook Pro > iMac > Mac Pro > XServe
post #16 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

If I get banned for this or sued, I'm only linking to another site and have nothing to do with the origin of these images.

That would not represent a consumer product, and doesn't fit the rumors for this tablet. There is no way that such a device would be sub $1000. The only way I could see something like that would be if Apple announced two tablets: the iSlate and the MacSlate pro. One with sub $1000 pricing and the other upwards of $2000.
post #17 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

In other news, Apple has pulled some applications from current iTunes App store.
"Sources" say that it has to do with violations of non-disclosure agreements signed by developers but would not elaborate.

Should be some way to tell which apps were pulled. Aren't there sites that keep complete lists of all of the current apps?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #18 of 69
I am so looking forward to this. Apple, please give us a fantastic product, like a tablet.
post #19 of 69
Hi,

I don't care about the special event .

What I want, it's just the iMac 27" I ordered Dec. 10th delivered Failed X-mas present

What the the interest for a product if it isn't available \

I hope AppleInsider could help us and raise the question as loud as possible :
  • When iMac 27" will be available
Best regards,
post #20 of 69
Quote:

i guess someone's parents didn't give them enough attention that they post this crap which doesn't even sound true
post #21 of 69
I had mentioned last week that if the tablet gets and SDK it might be time for Apple to update iPhone OS SDK, too, instead of in March. This would mean showing us an iPhone OS v4.0 demo. So far theyve only released the iPhone once a year and had the demo in March, but the smartphone market is increasing fast and/or they are ready with the new OS and HW earlier than expected so that it could warrant an earlier release.

I do hope that a new AppleTV will be released, too.

PS: When posting huge images or replying to post that contain these images you can simply write: image: http://www.address.com to make it a hyperlink. Add some compelling text and people will click it.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #22 of 69
You gotta admit that "Clouded Leopard" would be a great name for OS X 10.7.
post #23 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

i guess someone's parents didn't give them enough attention that they post this crap which doesn't even sound true

or trying to drive hit traffic to their site
post #24 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by rei_vilo View Post

Hi,

I don't care about the special event .

What I want, it's just the iMac 27" I ordered Dec. 10th delivered Failed X-mas present

What the the interest for a product if it isn't available \

I hope AppleInsider could help us and raise the question as loud as possible :
  • When iMac 27" will be available
Best regards,

They're very popular right now. Probably the best iMac evvarrrr!

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #25 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galley View Post

That was cool, thanks, didn't even know such a animal existed.

Clouded Leopard > cloud computing.

sounds good and a good name if true.
post #26 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galley View Post

Especially if they have their data center built and really are focusing a lot more on the cloud. I didnt think that was a real animal.
post #27 of 69
Quote:

Tablet.

I couldn't agree more. Computers are so last decade. We'll just have end devices to access services.
post #28 of 69
You'd think whomever mocked this up would have used the same typeface for "Clouded"
post #29 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Should be some way to tell which apps were pulled. Aren't there sites that keep complete lists of all of the current apps?

That was obviously a joke.
Someone (a developer likely) leaked info that would most definitely part of an NDA.
post #30 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zak2009 View Post

You'd think whomever mocked this up would have used the same typeface for "Clouded"

or recognized that "upto" is two words, or that "2x to wake up and shut down" is so ugly no one paid to write anything would come up with it.
post #31 of 69
Quote:

If I get banned for this or sued, I'm only linking to another site and have nothing to do with the origin of these images. ... I personally don't believe the specs are true, but it's good discussion talk.

This is pretty obviously fake unless every rumour we've heard about the tablet is untrue. Intel chips? WiFI *draft* N?

edit: also "Precision (sic) aluminum unibody"
post #32 of 69
Who are these "officials" who've been officially notified of the actual product? How is it that we're now confirming rumors by referring to other rumors? Shouldn't the confirmation of the event be the actual invite sent out to the pundits?
After 3 netbooks from acer, toshiba, hp, I find contentment in my 11.6 MB Air. Hoping the 8-hr battery version shows up soon.
After 3 netbooks from acer, toshiba, hp, I find contentment in my 11.6 MB Air. Hoping the 8-hr battery version shows up soon.
post #33 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by min_t View Post

Who are these "officials" who've been officially notified of the actual product? How is it that we're now confirming rumors by referring to other rumors? Shouldn't the confirmation of the event be the actual invite sent out to the pundits?

It's official until it's not! This is the beginning of a new decade, wallow in the rumors!

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #34 of 69
Can someone please tell me when it was APPLE announced this media event? I mean surely Apple won't leave it until two weeks before the event to announce it surely?

I think it's just rumours invented by PC manufacturers who think they will release their tablets before Apple in order to get a one up on Apple when in fact Apple hasn't even got something in the works at all.
post #35 of 69
there will never be a mechanical hard drive in this thing...thats ridiculous

nor a projector.... I do not forsee apple jumping on the bandwagon and installing one of these new pico laser projectors... They will either not do it at all, or come up with some crazy invention like a hologram generator or something to leapfrog whatever is out there..
post #36 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowededwookie View Post

Can someone please tell me when it was APPLE announced this media event? I mean surely Apple won't leave it until two weeks before the event to announce it surely?

They didn't and damnit, stop calling me Shirley!
Quote:
I think it's just rumours invented by PC manufacturers who think they will release their tablets before Apple in order to get a one up on Apple when in fact Apple hasn't even got something in the works at all.

PC manufacturers released a rumor that Apple would release a product when Apple doesn't even have one?
post #37 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

edit: also "Precision (sic) aluminum unibody"

What's wrong with the word precision?
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #38 of 69
Quote:

Introducing the iBrick.

Because if it was sized to a 7" screen it would have to be 3" thick to cram all that stuff into it, resulting in something roughly the size and weight of a brick.
post #39 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

In terms of 'what's next,' I think there's something in-between that Apple has its sights on: the 'family room'.

@TV and its (hopefully, future) mutants have quite some opportunity yet.

The family room is also on it's way out, just like the centrally located TV.
post #40 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Introducing the iBrick.

Because if it was sized to a 7" screen it would have to be 3" thick to cram all that stuff into it, resulting in something roughly the size and weight of a brick.

The ethernet is a dead giveaway that it's a fake. It would be useless and make the tablet too thick, I mean my MBA doesn't even have one. Also the screen is going to be 10".
MacBook Pro 17" Glossy 2.93GHz, iPad 64GB, iPhone 4 16GB, and a lot of other assorted goodies.

If you're a troll and you have been slain. Don't be a Zombie.
MacBook Pro 17" Glossy 2.93GHz, iPad 64GB, iPhone 4 16GB, and a lot of other assorted goodies.

If you're a troll and you have been slain. Don't be a Zombie.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple's Wed., Jan. 27 event could include iPhone 4.0 SDK [u]