or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple to unveil tablet in January, ship in March - WSJ
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple to unveil tablet in January, ship in March - WSJ

post #1 of 90
Thread Starter 
Apple later this month will preview its long-awaited touch-screen tablet before shipping the device to consumers two months later, the Wall Street Journal is reporting.

Echoing claims of an early 2010 launch of the 10-inch device first reported by AppleInsider last July, the financial paper cited "people briefed on the matter" as saying that Apple has been experimenting with "two different material finishes" for the hardware.

Those with knowledge of the situation were unable to confirm to the paper whether that meant that the electronics maker is planning two distinct versions of the tablet, or if it's simply testing two different surface materials. It said the device will have a 10- to 11-inch touchscreen and will go on sale in March.

A report from last month indicated that the Cupertino-based company had been seeking solutions to strengthen the glass of the 10-inch tablet displays it outsourced, a move which allegedly contributed to delaying the product's launch until this month.

It's unclear whether the two reports are related to the same matter.

Nevertheless, the Journal believes the Apple tablet will serve as a "multimedia device that will let people watch movies and television shows, play games, surf the Internet and read electronic books and newspapers."

The paper also cited people briefed on the matter who say Apple "believes it could redefine the way consumers interact with a variety of content."

"Textbooks and newspapers, for example, could be presented differently through color screens, a touch interface, and the integration of live up-to-the-minute information from multiple sources," the report says.

Analysts expect Apple to charge less than $1,000 for the device when it does surface. In a report released last week, Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster said he expects the average cost of the product to fall in the $600 range. He sees the company selling 1.4 million of the devices in its first 9 months on the market. Munster also predicted the device will debut by March.

On Monday, reputable sources reported that Apple plans to hold an event on Wednesday, Jan. 27th at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts in San Francisco. In addition to the tablet, the media event could give way to version 4.0 of the iPhone Software Developers kit, which may include the tools developers would need to build apps for the larger-screened device.
post #2 of 90
Why all the secrecy on a product... then unveil it and not have it ship for 2 months?
Is it to test the market reaction before assembling them?
Get some hype going?
Give the competition 2 months to copy it, thereby rushing it to market and sucking so that the iSlate stands above?
post #3 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by rain View Post

Why all the secrecy on a product... then unveil it and not have it ship for 2 months?
Is it to test the market reaction before assembling them?
Get some hype going?
Give the competition 2 months to copy it, thereby rushing it to market and sucking so that the iSlate stands above?

The secrecy is because it's endemic at Apple and always has been. it's their policy to be that way.

Given that it took three years for the competition to copy the iPhone (or even get close), I think the two month lead on the tablet shouldn't matter that much.
post #4 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by rain View Post

Why all the secrecy on a product... then unveil it and not have it ship for 2 months?
Is it to test the market reaction before assembling them?
Get some hype going?
Give the competition 2 months to copy it, thereby rushing it to market and sucking so that the iSlate stands above?


You don't just copy something like that in 2 months. Maybe 2 years. Just look at the iPhone. It was previewed in January and didn't ship until June.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #5 of 90
The suspense and secrecy also plays with people's minds. Who, in their right mind, is going to buy anything else until they know what Apple's device really is and what it brings to the table. Apple is often criticized for their secrecy but it is absolutely brilliant marketing and no one does it like Apple. For them it's an art form.

Oh, and it absolutely infuriates the Windows fanboys. This alone makes it worth the criticism.
post #6 of 90
...with a $300 device - just as they followed the iPhone several years later with the budget Genio phones, which have been a massive hit with the tween crowd here in the UK.
post #7 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

The suspense and secrecy also plays with people's minds. Who, in their right mind, is going to buy anything else until they know what Apple's device really is and what it brings to the table. Apple is often criticized for their secrecy but it is absolutely brilliant marketing and no one does it like Apple. For them it's an art form.

Oh, and it absolutely infuriates the Windows fanboys. This alone makes it worth the criticism.

Then again, maybe there will not be a tablet announcement. As much as I would like to see one, and I will purchase it, one never knows with Apple. If it is announced and not sold till March, this strategy is definitely a good Wall Street decision as the stock will likely continue to do very very well. Business is business, and Apple does it well..
post #8 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

The suspense and secrecy also plays with people's minds. Who, in their right mind, is going to buy anything else until they know what Apple's device really is and what it brings to the table. Apple is often criticized for their secrecy but it is absolutely brilliant marketing and no one does it like Apple. For them it's an art form.

Oh, and it absolutely infuriates the Windows fanboys. This alone makes it worth the criticism.

yes, you and Gazoobee are both right. Apple is pathologically secretive, and the resulting guessing game probably generates 10x as much media coverage as releasing advance details al la MS would. we all love the guessing game. and then the follow-up kevetching game. but not, however, the inevitable whining game.
post #9 of 90
Da Da Dommmmm. I really wish the internet had theme music with each of the "New" announcements.
post #10 of 90
My guess is the "people briefed on the matter" is the WSJ reporter(s). I think Apple is going directly to the paper.
post #11 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by rain View Post

Why all the secrecy on a product... then unveil it and not have it ship for 2 months?
Is it to test the market reaction before assembling them?
Get some hype going?
Give the competition 2 months to copy it, thereby rushing it to market and sucking so that the iSlate stands above?

Or because if it has 3G is needs to file for FCC filings which are made public (with photos).
Thats why they announced the iPhone so early.
post #12 of 90
I hope they are wrong about the $1000 price point.
post #13 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisss1104@aol.com View Post

Or because if it has 3G is needs to file for FCC filings which are made public (with photos).
Thats why they announced the iPhone so early.

+1, you just beat me to it. In 2007, the iPhone was announced January then released in June if I remember right. It seems Apple tightened down even FCC timelines in the last 3 years.
20" Intel iMac - Airport eXtream N - 16gb Black iPhone - Apple TV
Reply
20" Intel iMac - Airport eXtream N - 16gb Black iPhone - Apple TV
Reply
post #14 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In addition to the tablet, the media event could give way to version 4.0 of the iPhone Software Developers kit...

4.0? How about 3.5 now?
post #15 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisss1104@aol.com View Post

Or because if it has 3G is needs to file for FCC filings which are made public (with photos).
Thats why they announced the iPhone so early.

Actually, the FCC will suppress that information at a companies request. The reason they announced the iPhone was because it was MacWorld.
post #16 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restalot View Post

+1, you just beat me to it. In 2007, the iPhone was announced January then released in June if I remember right. It seems Apple tightened down even FCC timelines in the last 3 years.

Yeah 2 months is nothing in Apple terms.... hope that price point is well below $1,000, bearing in mind the price of Macbooks - depending on what it will do, I dunno if I need one or not.

Apple probably saves millions of dollars in advertising by their product launch approach and the media loves it
post #17 of 90
I'd be very surprised if Apple announced a tablet months before it was available, because MacBook sales would plummet in the meantime: the Osborne effect. The early announcement of the iPhone was different, because it didn't compete with any existing Apple products.
post #18 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisss1104@aol.com View Post

Or because if it has 3G is needs to file for FCC filings which are made public (with photos).
Thats why they announced the iPhone so early.

True it would need FCC approval. However, photos were or are not made public as they are trade secrets and not for public knowledge.

And no, it wasn't the reason the iPhone was announced so early as you stated.
post #19 of 90
The cost of a MacBook would be far too high a pricepoint for a limited-use device. Who in their right mind could justify spending $1k on an oversized iPhone when one could buy a full MacBook for the same cash?
post #20 of 90
Sick of rumors, Waiting for real announcement.
post #21 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by rain View Post

Why all the secrecy on a product... then unveil it and not have it ship for 2 months?
Is it to test the market reaction before assembling them?
Get some hype going?
Give the competition 2 months to copy it, thereby rushing it to market and sucking so that the iSlate stands above?

It is unlikely that others could create a competitive design within two months of the unveiling of a new Apple product. Heck, it has been 2.5 years since the iPhone debuted and Android isn't competing yet (it's basically sucking away market share from Palm and Nokia).

While others suggest the possibility of an FCC filing, I believe that Apple is more interested in releasing an SDK and giving iPhone developers a couple of months to rework their apps for the new device, thus a much larger pool of apps would be available when the product ships in March.
post #22 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oflife View Post

...with a $300 device - just as they followed the iPhone several years later with the budget Genio phones, which have been a massive hit with the tween crowd here in the UK.

Pfft. I hate to say this, but what happens with tweens in the UK market -- no doubt important to you -- is not particularly relevant, I think, for Apple. It's nice that Samsung is filling that huge void.
post #23 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

yes, you and Gazoobee are both right. Apple is pathologically secretive, and the resulting guessing game probably generates 10x as much media coverage as releasing advance details al la MS would. we all love the guessing game. and then the follow-up kevetching game. but not, however, the inevitable whining game.

So true.

PS: It's 'kvetching.'
post #24 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

I hope they are wrong about the $1000 price point.

And what if they're wrong about everything? Teh Steve will laugh his head off.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply
post #25 of 90
The Wall Street Journal has been moaning the loss of ad views to Google using it's content.

So something like the iTablet/iSlate where it's a closed device and can subscribe to PDF versions of the WSJ would be welcome in their eyes.

I wouldn't mind getting the WSJ, just I don't like getting my hands dirty with ink and should be getting a discount for PDF as it saves labor/paper/printing.

It's going to be a tough sell, getting users to pay for content again.

No AdBlock for the iSlate though!


And Steve Jobs is wrong, people DO READ, it's just they like to read on computers rather than on books and newspapers.

People like to be able to set the type size and fonts, auto load their favorite information and so on.
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
Reply
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
Reply
post #26 of 90
Maybe just my overactive imagination but fore some reason I feel the tablet is going to have a basic voice control API. Is it possible to offload voice commands to a specialized chip rather than tapping the CPU? I'm thinking back to the "knowledge navigator"; seems like they recognized (even then) that a "tablet" would benefit from voice commands. If it worked right it sure would be a compelling feature that would be hard for competitors to copy.
turtles all the way up and turtles all the way down... infinite context means infinite possibility
Reply
turtles all the way up and turtles all the way down... infinite context means infinite possibility
Reply
post #27 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

And what if they're wrong about everything? Teh Steve will laugh his head off.

That will be one expensive laugh -- his head notwithstanding -- for Apple's shareholders.

If people are 'wrong about everything' the responsible thing for the company's top management to do at this point would be to flatly deny 'everything.'

The fact that they have not done so tells me that we pretty much know the main facts at this point.
post #28 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapayaSF View Post

I'd be very surprised if Apple announced a tablet months before it was available, because MacBook sales would plummet in the meantime: the Osborne effect. The early announcement of the iPhone was different, because it didn't compete with any existing Apple products.

I disagree. I think the new product will be aimed largely at households with one or more MacBooks and/or iMacs. It could be a more convenient way to access web content, depending on its interface and specs, of course.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Apple positions the new product as a replacement for the low-end MacBook. If so, it might be called MacPad, and Apple could eventually offer screen sizes approaching the MacBook's 13".

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply
post #29 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

The Wall Street Journal has been moaning the loss of ad views to Google using it's content.

Lots of the financial media have been doing the same thing, i.e., WSJ is not alone. For instance, you rarely see the Financial Times or The Economist or Bloomberg featured at the top in Google news stories. Between these four, they account for most of the eyeballs when it comes to global financial news.
post #30 of 90
They just upstaged every netbook/tablet announcement at CES and froze all the discretionaly / impulse pinetrail netbook/tablet dollars

(Just like 2007 when the iPhone announcement upstaged the entire CES show!)
post #31 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

That will be one expensive laugh -- his head notwithstanding -- for Apple's shareholders.

If people are 'wrong about everything' the responsible thing for the company's top management to do at this point would be to flatly deny 'everything.'

The fact that they have not done so tells me that we pretty much know the main facts at this point.

Your posting is almost laughable.

That’s just how Apple’s Top Management handled the condition of Steve’s Health.

Deny everything until absolutely necessary to tell the press. The comparison is no different.

If everything is not true and their stock price has already accounted for the tablet then it will diver quicker than it did when Steve announced that his condition was just a “little” more than a hormone imbalance.

Apple Senior Management and Responsible should never be used in the same sentence. It’s an oxymoron.
post #32 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by rain View Post

Why all the secrecy on a product... then unveil it and not have it ship for 2 months?
Is it to test the market reaction before assembling them?
Get some hype going?
Give the competition 2 months to copy it, thereby rushing it to market and sucking so that the iSlate stands above?

It can be a good strategy to intimidate your opponents. Though we usually see it as vapourware mockups that never see the light of day. Perhaps this 2 month advance notice is more for publishers so the ones that haven’t signed up can see what they are missing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

You don't just copy something like that in 2 months. Maybe 2 years. Just look at the iPhone. It was previewed in January and didn't ship until June.

I'd say the 6 months advanced notice was to keep people from signing up for another 2 year contract, which is typical of cell users in the US.


Quote:
Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

4.0? How about 3.5 now?

With other vendors releasing more compelling options Apple may not be able to wait until March to demo iPhone OS v4.0 and new SDK. We may even see the 4th iPhone before the expected later June release date.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #33 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It can be a good strategy to intimidate your opponents. Though we uSually we it in vapourware claims that never come to pass. Perhaps the advance notice is more for publishers to see which ones haw signe on and or them to guage reaction.

I'd say the 6 months advanced notice was to get people from getting another contract, which is typical of cell users in the US.

With other vendors releasing more compelling options Apple may not be able to wait until March to demo iPhone OS v4.0 and it's SDK. We may even see ttr 4th iPhone before June.

Solipisism, have a little to much vino with dinner this evening? It's almost as comical as anantksundaram's posting.
post #34 of 90
NOW on CNBC at 9:30 EST "Welcome to Macinstosh"
post #35 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngusYoung View Post

Your posting is almost laughable.

Thats just how Apples Top Management handled the condition of Steves Health.

Deny everything until absolutely necessary to tell the press. The comparison is no different.

If everything is not true and their stock price has already accounted for the tablet then it will diver quicker than it did when Steve announced that his condition was just a little more than a hormone imbalance.

Apple Senior Management and Responsible should never be used in the same sentence. Its an oxymoron.

You raise some good points. You are right about the likely stock price dive if nothing happens on Jan 26/27. My guess would be, perhaps back to $190 or so.

However, I'd like to think that Apple has been quite chastened by that episode, just as they have been with the options backdating episode. These are the types of things they may think twice about doing again. Tim Cook has been in charge for a while when Jobs was away, and perhaps he has a bit more sway over things than before.

Maybe I am being too optimistic.......
post #36 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

NOW on CNBC at 9:30 EST "Welcome to Macinstosh"

It was made in 2008, check info on the guide. I've already watched it before, not bad for its time.

Pretty pathetic attempt at ratings to air a 2 year old show...

But Apple is a hype machine and CNBC needs ratings
post #37 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

You raise some good points. You are right about the likely stock price dive if nothing happens on Jan 26/27. My guess would be, perhaps back to $190 or so.

However, I'd like to think that Apple has been quite chastened by that episode, just as they have been with the options backdating episode. These are the types of things they may think twice about doing again. Tim Cook has been in charge for a while when Jobs was away, and perhaps he has a bit more sway over things than before.

Maybe I am being too optimistic.......

Tim Cook was in charge when the board and stock holders were not told the truth.
You are being too optimistic. He's as guilty as Steve in that particular situation.
post #38 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngusYoung View Post

Solipisism, have a little to much vino with dinner this evening? It's almost as comical as anantksundaram's posting.

Instead of throwing out juvenile invectives, why don't you actually add to the discussion -- as you did before -- by arguing why it's 'comical?' Just making an assertion makes you look silly..... (but that's OK too).
post #39 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngusYoung View Post

Tim Cook was in charge when the board and stock holders were not told the truth.
You are being too optimistic. He's a guilty as Steve in that particular situation.

'In charge' of what? I thought he was COO/President then? Wasn't Jobs the CEO?
post #40 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

'In charge' of what? I thought he was COO/President then? Wasn't Jobs the CEO?

Don't play games. It's worse than Steve did during the options scandal. If Tim Cook was put in charge and didn't know Steve's true health condition then both Steve and Tim are idiots.

This is off topic.

The topic is the release of a product that doesn't exist being introduced at a speculated date that Apple hasn't confirmed for a feature set that nobody has any knowledge of other than pure speculation.

Edit. The side topic is solipsism's hammered and as usual you can't understand his posting only this time there are typo's and words that don't exist.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple to unveil tablet in January, ship in March - WSJ