or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple, Verizon in disagreement over CDMA iPhone pricing - report
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple, Verizon in disagreement over CDMA iPhone pricing - report

post #1 of 103
Thread Starter 
As Apple and Verizon are rumored to be in negotiations for a summer 2010 CDMA iPhone launch, the nation's largest wireless carrier and the handset maker are believed to be at odds over pricing.

In a new note to investors Tuesday morning, Maynard J. Um of UBS Investment Research said that a new iPhone is expected to launch in mid-2010. Whether that phone would be available for Verizon's CDMA network remains to be seen.

"We believe a CDMA-iPhone is also in the works," Um wrote, "though believe Verizon Wireless and Apple may currently be apart on pricing."

Even if Verizon and Apple can't work out a deal, Um said he believes a CDMA phone is still a possibility. Potential handset launches in China and/or Japan, where carriers operate other CDMA networks, could occur this year.

Last fall, conflicting reports within chip maker Qualcomm suggested a Verizon-capable iPhone could arrive in mid 2010. Whether that handset would be a dual-mode world phone, or a Verizon-only CDMA model was disputed.

Though Qualcomm plans to release dual-carrier chips that would allow future phones to work on CDMA/EVDO carriers such as Verizon and Sprint, as well as rival 3GPP carriers using UMTS/HSPA+ technologies like AT&T and T-Mobile, those chips will not arrive until the second half of 2010. Some have said that timeframe would not allow Apple to release a dual-mode phone until 2011 at the earliest.

And others believe a Verizon iPhone deal is more wishful thinking than anything else. Given that both Verizon and Apple are focused on consumer control, analyst Shaw Wu with Kaufman Bros. previously predicted that the conflicting interests of the two companies would get in the way of an agreement.

Um's note Tuesday would suggest that to be the case. Currently, it is estimated that Apple gets a favorable $700 average selling price per iPhone, subsidized through exclusive carrier AT&T. Compare that with the ASP of the Motorola Droid, exclusive to Verizon, which costs an estimated $450 per sale.

Um also noted that he does not expect Apple to announce any new products at CES 2010 this week. But he does expect new products to be announced by the end of January, as the Cupertino, Calif., company is expected to hold an event on Jan. 27 at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts in San Francisco. New products, he said, could include typical refreshes of the Mac Pro, a processor upgrade for the MacBook Pro, and a new iPod shuffle. Additionally, speculation of late has reached a fever pitch that the company will unveil a 10-inch touchscreen tablet device in January, and the product will ship in March.

"Given the tablet is generally expected," Um said, "its functionality and appeal will be the determinant of how the stock reacts following an announcement."

Hybrid tablet-netbooks are expected to have a major presence at CES this week, Um said. He also expects netbooks to improve with more power and functionality, thanks to faster processors. Many hardware makers are looking to use CES as an opportunity to beat Apple to market for a tablet device.
post #2 of 103
Both side know that they will make a ton of money if they go to bed together.
80 million iPhones by 2012. That's only 15% of the market.

http://www.iphonethailand.net
Reply
80 million iPhones by 2012. That's only 15% of the market.

http://www.iphonethailand.net
Reply
post #3 of 103
Why is Verizon so stubborn?
post #4 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by iphonedeveloperthailand View Post

Both side know that they will make a ton of money if they go to bed together.

Sure - but I don't expect Apple to budge and walk away if necessary. For all the rhetoric, Apple doesn't need Verizon. I will laugh if verizon screws up again.
post #5 of 103
nothing new here....move along
post #6 of 103
Seriously, this is pure BS. Apple will never make a CDMA version of it. It makes 0 sense. What they'll probably do is add the 1700Mhz UMTS antenna to it and call it a day. This will guarantee that T-Mobile, Wind, Dave wireless and Videotron will get the device as well.

Adi
post #7 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by zindako View Post

Why is Verizon so stubborn?

Assuming any truth which on this site you never can lol ... Yeah, you'd think they's learn. If memory serves they had first chance and screwed that up too. Reminds me of the record companies that turned down that unknown band called the Beatles! Here they are with a rare second chance and they argue?
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #8 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Assuming any truth which on this site you never can lol ... Yeah, you'd think they's learn. If memory serves they had first chance and screwed that up too. Reminds me of the record companies that turned down that unknown band called the Beatles! Here they are with a rare second chance and they argue?

eh, but the first time around according to rumors/reports there wasnt even a working model of the phone yet. its hard to take a risk on something you cant see/test. im sure the record company had at least a demo record of the beatles.

and negotiations happen with any product. both sides are looking at cost/profit margin. its going to happen.
post #9 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by adisor19 View Post

Seriously, this is pure BS. Apple will never make a CDMA version of it. It makes 0 sense. What they'll probably do is add the 1700Mhz UMTS antenna to it and call it a day. This will guarantee that T-Mobile, Wind, Dave wireless and Videotron will get the device as well.

Adi

1) att's rep is bad. when service is bad, people generally blame the phone and the service. going to vzw will improve apple's brand
2) gateway device. if apple truely wants people to use the iphone as a gateway device for consumers to purchase apple computers/products, why wouldnt they want the largest US carrier to have it?
post #10 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by zindako View Post

Why is Verizon so stubborn?

The Apple iPhone may not remain exclusive (although I think AT&T will manage another 2 yrs) I don't expect Apple to take a $250+/unit hit on the subsidy. Apple has got a good thing going with the App sales at the iTunes Store. Companies like Verizon want to try their hand at building up such an inventory - good luck. I can't blame them for wanting some of this action with the last billion "sales" taking less than 100 days.

I wonder how far we are before acceleration of sales (sales´´) goes to zero and what will the sales rate (sales´) be at that time?

Adding more phones to the mix (we have 3G, 3GS and Chinese versions already) splits the effort on the Engr end and invites REAL comparisons between carriers with twice the support issues. What is in it for Apple? I don't think it would increase sales appreciably and the extra cost due to support, Engr, extra inventory, etc probably wipes that out.

Verizon doesn't want to have to admit that they blew it in the beginning with Apple; and with the Moto Droid they may actually feel like they have a product that can (be tweaked and in a couple years) get them nearly the revenue they may gain from having access to the iPhone. I think Verizon will be surprised and although the Android OS share has grown it has done so at the cost of fragmentation and the inability to have a centralized App store that will ever compete with Apple's.

Just my two cents...
post #11 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zep View Post

1) att's rep is bad. when service is bad, people generally blame the phone and the service. going to vzw will improve apple's brand
2) gateway device. if apple truely wants people to use the iphone as a gateway device for consumers to purchase apple computers/products, why wouldnt they want the largest US carrier to have it?

that Verizon's network could handle the iphone's notorious uber-increased data usage of at&ts network. Verizon would more than likely be plagued/stressed the same at att's. Then there is the non-simultaneous data/voice (currently) and why would Jobs lower the iphone's expectations when they just even created their own commercials supporting their carrier.

Wishful thinking, and i believe apple is selling their computers very well w/o verizon thanks to the touch and the iphone. I am about to replace my ibook (been running like a champ since (2004) and my old g4 sawtooth with a new 27 imac with the i7s...all w/o verizon..
post #12 of 103
Have at it Verizon.......the more carriers the better.
post #13 of 103
To Verizon and Apple:

Listen you guys. I don't know what your problem is and I don't care. Make the deal and get it done. We have been waiting three years. That is long enough.

And this summer is too long to wait. Have the Verizon iPhone ( the ViPhone?) ready for the special event you have coming up. And a new Apple TV too while you're at it. I have a wallet full of cash! Don't you want some of it? You know you do.
post #14 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Sure - but I don't expect Apple to budge and walk away if necessary. For all the rhetoric, Apple doesn't need Verizon. I will laugh if verizon screws up again.

I couldn't agree more about Apple not needing them - I think you should probably prepare for a hearty chuckle also.

post #15 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zep View Post

2) gateway device. if apple truely wants people to use the iphone as a gateway device for consumers to purchase apple computers/products, why wouldnt they want the largest US carrier to have it?



Because CDMA is dead end and its support time runs out. The fact of customer base for one network will not last forever. 70% of the world is not on CDMA and never has been. One US company does not make difference in global mobile market. In fact T-Mobile with its owned local international networks is much bigger company than Verizon or AT&T. hence T-Mobile might be attractive to Apple.

That's understandable that Apple is hestistant and Verizon has only customer base to offer, but that can dwindle over time. Verizon is not growing anymore. Others are. Competitive edge is where growth is that sooner or later will take away market from those who do not grow on established market.
post #16 of 103
Both VZ and Apple are about control of the customer. Anyway, loss of exclusivity with ATT means reduced subsidy and ASP. Not good for profits.

Apple is better off innovating and coming with compelling products... gain market share, even via ATT. One way to unload the ATT network would be to sell 3G WAP for home and business use.
post #17 of 103
Dear apple:
Makes lots of money i don't own verizon stock
thank you

ps keep up the great work
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
Reply
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
Reply
post #18 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by adisor19 View Post

Seriously, this is pure BS. Apple will never make a CDMA version of it. It makes 0 sense. What they'll probably do is add the 1700Mhz UMTS antenna to it and call it a day. This will guarantee that T-Mobile, Wind, Dave wireless and Videotron will get the device as well.

Adi

I agree.

T-Mobile I think is a more natural fit for Apple, in that it's an international company. and here in the US, they're smaller. Besides, 4G is the next wave and CDMA is going to go away, not improve.

So, what would be the point of introducing an aging technology over a never, faster one, in 4G?

I believe that Apple's not really interested in (and wary of) the kind of explosive growth that going with Verizon might bring. Steady, incremental and solid marketshare increases are more to Apple's benefit ultimately.

Apple skims the TOP of the markets they're in, not the bottom. There are plenty of other companies willing to do that.
Macintosh: It just WORKS!
Reply
Macintosh: It just WORKS!
Reply
post #19 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhetoric.assassin View Post

that Verizon's network could handle the iphone's notorious uber-increased data usage of at&ts network. Verizon would more than likely be plagued/stressed the same at att's. Then there is the non-simultaneous data/voice (currently) and why would Jobs lower the iphone's expectations when they just even created their own commercials supporting their carrier.

Wishful thinking, and i believe apple is selling their computers very well w/o verizon thanks to the touch and the iphone. I am about to replace my ibook (been running like a champ since (2004) and my old g4 sawtooth with a new 27 imac with the i7s...all w/o verizon..

how do you figure it will be just as stressed as ATT? there's no way of telling how ready vzw is for the iphone.

you really dont read most of what people say. i said its a gateway device. youve obviously used a mac before the iphone. good for you, but how many people bought macs due to the iphone/itouch. if they want to reach as many US people as possible to get more people to use apple products, its smart business to make something where another 80+ mil people will have a chance of trying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciekskontakt View Post

Because CDMA is dead end and its support time runs out. The fact of customer base for one network will not last forever. 70% of the world is not on CDMA and never has been. One US company does not make difference in global mobile market. In fact T-Mobile with its owned local international networks is much bigger company than Verizon or AT&T. hence T-Mobile might be attractive to Apple.

That's understandable that Apple is hestistant and Verizon has only customer base to offer, but that can dwindle over time. Verizon is not growing anymore. Others are. Competitive edge is where growth is that sooner or later will take away market from those who do not grow on established market.

CDMA wont die off. the audio codec will be used for a very long time due to its a much cleaner and now, more secure codec than GSM. the dual channel chips made by qualcomm will ensure the longevity of cdma in the US while still being able to offer gsm to the world.

in the US its hard to grow subscribers. sprint bleeds them every quarter. vzw and att still have net adds. im honestly not sure how tmobile does, but im sure its losing some customers every quarter. its no more or less steal customers from 1 wireless company and put them in your own.
post #20 of 103
Uh oh.
Here we go again. Welcome to 2007.
Verizon needs to realize that they are in worse situation than they were in 2007. They got to offer just about everything AT&T offers to apple. Stop being stubborn, Verizon. Motorola Droid and iphone are not same. In 2007, they disagreed on having Wi-fi, App store and itunes store. Now, they are disagreeing pricing. Verizon thinks they can call a shot, but they should realize that Apple does not need Verizon at all. It's the customers that is going to suffer.
post #21 of 103
Knowing Verizon, they don't just want the phone with a minimal subsidy and a cut of the revenue stream... they want to load some of their own code on the device.

I remember when I had a great Motorola phone that they crippled so that I could use Verizon's "advanced features."

I hope the two figure something out... more options always helps the consumer.
post #22 of 103
Apple can do just as well by offering it to both T-Mo and Sprint as just offering it to Verizon. If three carriers have the iPhone, it takes a hell of a sustained marketing effort by Verizon to overcome Apples entrenched status.

Verizon will have to cave if they want the iPhone. It will hurt their margins, and they aren't going to jump into it if they can saturate potential buyers on their network with the Droid first.

Ultimately I think the MVNO route is going to offer the greatest bang-for-buck if you want Verizon's network.
post #23 of 103
Apple will never create an iPhone for a carrier/technology that does not support concurrent voice and data access.

I bet most of these rumors begin at Verizon where they are doing their best to stop this exodus to AT&T.

If anyone is next, it will be T-Mobile.
post #24 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zep View Post

how do you figure it will be just as stressed as ATT? there's no way of telling how ready vzw is for the iphone.

With a couple of thousand percent increase in data demand, how do you figure VZW won't be just as stressed as AT&T?

"AT&T wants to craft "incentives" that would compel iPhone owners to reduce demands on the company's overworked 3G cellular network. The most obvious solution is to get them to switch to wireless Wi-Fi networks whenever possible.

Wi-Fi access points, found everywhere from customers' homes to coffee shops, move bits of information directly to a wired broadband Internet connection. That's cheaper than transmitting the bits to a cell tower, as 3G does. Cell towers get swamped when as few as a dozen nearby iPhone users simultaneously try to watch a YouTube clip or play a game. "Two years ago, all the carriers thought Wi-Fi was a threat" to their cellular networks, says Marc Lowenstein, a consultant who used to run marketing for Verizon Wireless. "Now it's a lifeline.""

If it is indeed true that cell towers get swamped when as few as a dozen nearby iPhone users simultaneously try to watch a YouTube clip or play a game, what might happen if as few as a couple of dozen of "Verizon" iPhone (if it becomes reality) users try the same thing on Verizon's "There's a Map for That" network?

http://www.businessweek.com/technolo...221_605613.htm

Although it would be interesting to see the data demand that is being placed on Verizon from those using the Droid or other smart phones just to see what demand IS being placed on their network.

After all, congestion is congestion. I could have a sweet ride by way of a Porsche but if the auto bon is overtaxed with a lot of other vehicles, that can alter the enjoyment of my sweet ride...

Quote:
you really dont read most of what people say. i said its a gateway device. youve obviously used a mac before the iphone. good for you, but how many people bought macs due to the iphone/itouch. if they want to reach as many US people as possible to get more people to use apple products, its smart business to make something where another 80+ mil people will have a chance of trying.

With all the competition entering the market, the iPhone will always have to be improved to not only maintain but attract it's user base. If they want to reach as many US people as possible to get more people to use apple products, its smart business to make something so originally unique where another 80+ mil people will have no disposition to leave Verizon for the chance of trying it...

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply
post #25 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Whether that phone would be available for Verizon's CDMA network remains to be seen.

How true and well put!

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

Reply

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

Reply
post #26 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

With a couple of thousand percent increase in data demand, how do you figure VZW won't be just as stressed as AT&T?

"AT&T wants to craft "incentives" that would compel iPhone owners to reduce demands on the company's overworked 3G cellular network. The most obvious solution is to get them to switch to wireless Wi-Fi networks whenever possible.

Wi-Fi access points, found everywhere from customers' homes to coffee shops, move bits of information directly to a wired broadband Internet connection. That's cheaper than transmitting the bits to a cell tower, as 3G does. Cell towers get swamped when as few as a dozen nearby iPhone users simultaneously try to watch a YouTube clip or play a game. "Two years ago, all the carriers thought Wi-Fi was a threat" to their cellular networks, says Marc Lowenstein, a consultant who used to run marketing for Verizon Wireless. "Now it's a lifeline.""

If it is indeed true that cell towers get swamped when as few as a dozen nearby iPhone users simultaneously try to watch a YouTube clip or play a game, what might happen if as few as a couple of dozen of "Verizon" iPhone (if it becomes reality) users try the same thing on Verizon's "There's a Map for That" network?

http://www.businessweek.com/technolo...221_605613.htm

Although it would be interesting to see the data demand that is being placed on Verizon from those using the Droid or other smart phones just to see what demand IS being placed on their network.

After all, congestion is congestion. I could have a sweet ride by way of a Porsche but if the auto bon is overtaxed with a lot of other vehicles, that can alter the enjoyment of my sweet ride...

vzw im sure has seen what the iphone has done to att's network. its easier to prepare for something after having seen the aftermath to a similar situation.

no one knows how well the network will hold up if the iphone does indeed switch to vzw, but i have a feeling they would be better prepared than att was.


Quote:
With all the competition entering the market, the iPhone will always have to be improved to not only maintain but attract it's user base. If they want to reach as many US people as possible to get more people to use apple products, its smart business to make something so originally unique where another 80+ mil people will have no disposition to leave Verizon for the chance of trying it...

both mine and your point can be argued about this section however. it really depends on what apple wants to do and how they want to approach this situation.
post #27 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zep View Post

1) att's rep is bad. when service is bad, people generally blame the phone and the service. going to vzw will improve apple's brand
2) gateway device. if apple truely wants people to use the iphone as a gateway device for consumers to purchase apple computers/products, why wouldnt they want the largest US carrier to have it?

True but Apple had a contract with at&t in 2007. Then at&t was the largest US carrier. Contracts make things harder for Apple.
Apple had me at scrolling
Reply
Apple had me at scrolling
Reply
post #28 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Sure - but I don't expect Apple to budge and walk away if necessary. For all the rhetoric, Apple doesn't need Verizon. I will laugh if verizon screws up again.

that's right. it's Verizon that is the needy one. Perhaps. Apple is doing fine even with the ATT contract. If they open up the phone with unlocked GSM it would be better for consumer and company.

As for the device cost, if Apple picks up this likely a tad pricy dual chip or sets up a second production line for CDMA you can bet they won't budge on the price. Especially not a $250 drop. Plus if they give that price to Verizon, other companies would demand it also. And Apple would have to agree or risk lawsuits galore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zep View Post

1) att's rep is bad. when service is bad, people generally blame the phone and the service. going to vzw will improve apple's brand

as would just unlocking the current phone. Then folks can't gripe that Apple is to blame for lousy service cause they chose ATT over T-Mobile etc

Quote:
2) gateway device. if apple truely wants people to use the iphone as a gateway device for consumers to purchase apple computers/products, why wouldnt they want the largest US carrier to have it?

or perhaps that role will be played by another device. a highly rumored device. that won't require folks to sign a contract with a phone service to get one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AjitMD View Post

Both VZ and Apple are about control of the customer. Anyway, loss of exclusivity with ATT means reduced subsidy and ASP. Not good for profits.

Not at all. ATT plays full price for the phones to Apple, so Apple gets their money no matter what.

And on the customer side, no way will ATT lower their subsidy to the subscribers because to do so could drive folks to other carriers. Which would be bad. for them. competition with the subsidies and rate plans could be very very good for us.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #29 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciekskontakt View Post

Because CDMA is dead end and its support time runs out. The fact of customer base for one network will not last forever. 70% of the world is not on CDMA and never has been. One US company does not make difference in global mobile market. In fact T-Mobile with its owned local international networks is much bigger company than Verizon or AT&T. hence T-Mobile might be attractive to Apple..

Not like that one country is Apple's home market and has about the same population as all of western Europe with 160 million CDMA customers or anything. Apple doesn't need this mall insignificant market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adisor19 View Post

Seriously, this is pure BS. Apple will never make a CDMA version of it. It makes 0 sense. What they'll probably do is add the 1700Mhz UMTS antenna to it and call it a day. This will guarantee that T-Mobile, Wind, Dave wireless and Videotron will get the device as well.

Adi

1700mhz antenna: 34 million with spotty coverage
CDMA antenna: 90-160 million with very good coverage.
post #30 of 103
Um, what?

Anyone else distracted by the use of this guy's last name in the article?
post #31 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

Apple can do just as well by offering it to both T-Mo and Sprint as just offering it to Verizon.

but isn't Sprint also CDMA.

so they make a phone for Sprint, locked. and folks unlock it and use it on Verizon. Same as what's happened with T-Mobile.

Also, Sprint is going WiMax not LTE so you'd make a CDMA phone for a company that is phasing out for a tech no one else is using. Don't see it happening.

Also to everyone talking about Verizon's user base etc, don't forget that there can be legal troubles when you race to the head of the pack. That Apple lacks the lead in this market is a good thing. Just like the lack of computer share is (legally) a good thing.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #32 of 103
It's funny how Tired this Topic is...

It would be funny if VZ's iPhone doesn't do Voice and Data at the same time as ATT's...
Rollover Minutes on ATT vs. Better Coverage on a slower Network - another consideration...

It's January 5, 2010, and according to CNN, the Google's Nexus "iPhone Killer" can be used on Any Network - thus a Q: what Universal Chip is that phone using, other than Qualcomm, and why can't iPhone use the same chip?

 

Go  Apple, AAPL!!!

Reply

 

Go  Apple, AAPL!!!

Reply
post #33 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by zindako View Post

Why is Verizon so stubborn?

Verizon wants control of the device, and Apple doesn't want to give up control. Verizon is terrified of becoming nothing more than simply a carrier; they want their own app store, own apps, limits on the phones, etc.
post #34 of 103
Of course they're at odds over pricing. Verizon is anti-consumer and wants to fsck over the consumer, whereas Apple is pro-consumer and wants to protect the consumer.
post #35 of 103
I have ZERO % interest in a CDMA iPhone. LTE Advanced/WiMax ONLY Please.
post #36 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by zindako View Post

Why is Verizon so stubborn?

Because they're top banana and too much like Microsoft.
post #37 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciekskontakt View Post

Because CDMA is dead end and its support time runs out. The fact of customer base for one network will not last forever. 70% of the world is not on CDMA and never has been.

OTOH, built in obsolesence! Apple gets to sell more phones to Verizon customers when CDMA dies (despite what happens around here, lots of people *don't* upgrade their phones when the contract expires -- this would force them to do so).
post #38 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by zindako View Post

Why is Verizon so stubborn?

Verizon is an anti-consumer company which originally turned down the iPhone for at least 5 reasons:

1. They wouldn't allow Apple to include WiFi on the iPhone. Instead, they wanted to charge their customers exorbitant per-megabyte rates to use their cell phone network to browse the Internet.

2. They wouldn't change their network to allow for visual voicemail. So instead of innovating for the future, they wanted to stifle innovation by forcing customers to check their voicemails the old fashioned way.

3. They wouldn't allow Apple to sell their own ringtones or music, which are priced very reasonably for customers. Instead, they wanted to rip off customers and be in control of selling their own ringtones & music at exorbitant prices to customers.

4. They wouldn't allow Apple to open up their own App Store. Instead, they wanted to have their OWN crappy app store on the iPhone, which is evidenced by their crappy app store on their other phones.

5. They wouldn't share any revenue with Apple for bringing new customers to Verizon.

All of this, along with the fact that...

a) Verizon phones don't work outside of the country.
b) Verizon said "fsck you" to customers by raising their early termination fee to $350.
c) VERIZON DOES NOT HAVE AN UNLIMITED DATA PLAN -- IT IS LIMITED TO 5 GB PER MONTH.

...will ensure that I NEVER do ANY business with Verizon at all.

There are several other reasons as well (not to mention their horrible customer service), but I can't remember them all now.
post #39 of 103
Okay, this whole iPhone on Verizon has reached absurdity. First, people have to realize that VZ wireless (VZW) is a seperate company from landline VZ. Parent company Vodafone does have a good rapport with Apple but VZW does not. Given that fact I would be extremely skeptical that VZW will EVER get an iPhone, let alone this year. There are several factors prohibiting this. One, Apple doesn't want to pay the high licensing fee for CDMA chips from Qualcomm. Two, VZW is focusing on Droids and the google mobile OS platform. Three, Droid users are using about 10x the bandwidth of Blackberry users just like iPhone users. Four, that high demand is placing a huge strain on the ageing EVDO Rev A network. Five, VZW is moving to LTE later in 2010 and wouldn't want a CDMA version of the iPhone that wouldn't be compatible with the new system. Six, as previously mentioned, CDMA is a dead-end technology. If VZW did get an iPhone this year and it was CDMA I wouldn't buy it. EVDO (which is a hybrid of GSM and CDMA technologies) is slow compared to HSPDA/UMTS and decrepid compared to LTE.
post #40 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by macologist View Post

It's January 5, 2010, and according to CNN, the Google's Nexus "iPhone Killer" can be used on Any Network - thus a Q: what Universal Chip is that phone using, other than Qualcomm, and why can't iPhone use the same chip?

Apple is usually quite clever. Chances are, CDMA support might actually be there, but has to be unlocked. Usually, Apple isn't short-sighted and has actually prepared for this day back when the iPhone was originally released.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple, Verizon in disagreement over CDMA iPhone pricing - report