or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple's Mac OS X 10.6.3 to target crashes, over 90 components

Apple's Mac OS X 10.6.3 to target crashes, over 90 components

post #1 of 75
Apple on Wednesday began widespread testing of Mac OS X 10.6.3, the third planned maintenance and security update to its Snow Leopard operating system, early betas of which already includes bug fixes to over seven dozen system components with an emphasis on stabilization.

People familiar with the matter say the first external build of the software -- labeled Mac OS X 10.6.3 build 10D522 and weighing in at 665.7MB in barebones delta form -- includes a total of 221 code corrections to 92 distinct system components.

Among those components receiving the most attention are AppKit, CoreMedia, Desktop Services, FileSync, Fonts, HIToolbox, iCal, Mail, MobileMe, and QuickTime Player X, those same people say.

Other individual and welcomed enhancements include improvements to Snow Leopard's automatic spell correction, and fixes for crashes while printing and using AppKit, the Dock, iCal, Mail, Photo Booth, Rosetta, Spotlight, Screen Sharing, and Software Updater.

In total, nearly 60 individual pieces of crash-prone code have reportedly been addressed as of build 10D522.

Apple also reportedly noted four known issues with Wednesday's beta, including hangs in iTunes, and potential anomalies while updating applications, viewing Display preferences, and navigating the ColorSync Utility Filters tab.

Nearly a month ago, Apple began preparing the first beta of 10.6.3. However the Mac maker apparently chose to withhold the Snow Leopard update from broader distribution until after the holidays, during which time it compiled and evaluated roughly 15 more builds.

The last maintenance update for Snow Leopard, Mac OS X 10.6.2, was released in November. It addressed a publicized bug that could delete a user's account data when logging in and out of a guest account. The update also included native support for the multi-touch Magic Mouse.

Two months before that, in September, Apple released Mac OS X 10.6.1. That update came less than two weeks after the late August debut of Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard. It addressed a number of stability, compatibility and security issues for the Mac.
post #2 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple also reportedly noted four known issues with Wednesday's beta, including hangs in iTunes, and potential anomalies while updating applications, viewing Display preferences, and navigating the ColorSync Utility Filters tab.

I've been pretty happy with 10.6.2 but I have experienced some hangs with iTunes.
MacBook Pro 17" Glossy 2.93GHz, iPad 64GB, iPhone 4 16GB, and a lot of other assorted goodies.

If you're a troll and you have been slain. Don't be a Zombie.
MacBook Pro 17" Glossy 2.93GHz, iPad 64GB, iPhone 4 16GB, and a lot of other assorted goodies.

If you're a troll and you have been slain. Don't be a Zombie.
post #3 of 75
No such thing as a stable OS. With continued upgrades to hardware and new software constantly being added, OSs are stuck in an endless update loop.
After 3 netbooks from acer, toshiba, hp, I find contentment in my 11.6 MB Air. Hoping the 8-hr battery version shows up soon.
After 3 netbooks from acer, toshiba, hp, I find contentment in my 11.6 MB Air. Hoping the 8-hr battery version shows up soon.
post #4 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNly View Post

I've been pretty happy with 10.6.2 but I have experienced some hangs with iTunes.

I've also noticed iTunes hanging, as well as issues with Flash performance and crashes within Safari (I guess that's nothing new tho).
post #5 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabsgwu View Post

I've also noticed iTunes hanging, as well as issues with Flash performance and crashes within Safari (I guess that's nothing new tho).

Flash has been crashing in Safari for me as well, more so than usual.

K
EIC- AppleInsider.com
Questions and comments to : kasper@appleinsider.com
EIC- AppleInsider.com
Questions and comments to : kasper@appleinsider.com
post #6 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasper View Post

K

Anyone else had trouble with flash crashing, especially in Chrome?
post #7 of 75
Quote:

K

Same here.
post #8 of 75
Dear Apple: Please fix:
  • QuickTime X randomly deciding to stop playback because I scrubbed farther than it wanted
  • Screenshots of full-width windows getting their right sides chopped off
  • Expose choosing griddiness over functionality
post #9 of 75
Flash does crash sometimes (on any system Ive ever used) but Id say not nearly as much as before Snow Leopard. Snow Leopard has been as rock solid as Id hoped.

But nothings ever perfect, so keep the fixes coming!
post #10 of 75
Hopefully it fixes the DisplayPort to HDMI display issue where it keeps trying to change resolutions and never locks on to a resolution! The Mac is unusable during this state until you unplug the display connector!

iTunes & Front Row 64-bit finally included?! Blu-Ray movie support?
post #11 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiracer1987 View Post

Anyone else had trouble with flash crashing, especially in Chrome?

Yep - me, too. Both in Safari and Chrome. Not in Firefox, though.
post #12 of 75
I'm hoping the fact that crash reports in Snow Leopard for the first time are sent automatically without asking the user will enable Apple to get to the bottom of bugs quicker. Hopefully we start seeing the result of this.
post #13 of 75
Quote:

K

Flash? eeeew. KILL it! I started using ClickToFlash a few months back and love it. Browser speed AND stability are enhanced tremendously!

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/30682/clicktoflash

I've been getting random Low USB Power errors and crashes! The only USB devices I use are a trackball and keyboard. I can't figure it out. I hope Apple squashes that one!
Macintosh: It just WORKS!
Macintosh: It just WORKS!
post #14 of 75
225! That's a big 'un.

There are certain people who stay with the previous release until a few major point update have come out, this may convince them to upgrade. I am not one of these people, since I am always buying new Macs I don't need that come with the latest!
post #15 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffharris View Post

Flash? eeeew. KILL it! I started using ClickToFlash a few months back and love it. Browser speed AND stability are enhanced tremendously!

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/30682/clicktoflash

I've been getting random Low USB Power errors and crashes! The only USB devices I use are a trackball and keyboard. I can't figure it out. I hope Apple squashes that one!

Yeah, I use that but there are some flash sites that I white list that I have had hang safari, so thats not a viable solution. I think the problem is in webkit but I don't have any proof to back that up.
post #16 of 75
Quicktime X crashes all the time when converting files to AppleTv. And trim only the ends and not the middle? What's up with that Apple? Quicktime7 worked better than that!
post #17 of 75
.....another bug fix release.
post #18 of 75
Quote:

K

I want nothing more than a fixed for the damn Flash plugin crashes on Safari....I thought plugins weren't supposed to crashed the browser when tab-browsing. I have to open Activity Viewer and Force Quit the Flash plugin at least ten times every three to four days.
post #19 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple's Mac OS X 10.6.3 to target crashes

Snotard
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
post #20 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

.....another bug fix release.

As opposed to what...a feature release that ignores existing bugs?
post #21 of 75
I've been happy with 10.6.2 and the VMWare USB bug doesn't affect the new iMac 27 so I'm good. I've never had a crash with Flash. Are folks who are seeing this using Safari and if so, is it in 32 or 64 bit mode? If you're using chrome and getting crashes, you should probably be posting somewhere else like the developer site as it's still in beta.

I'm using firefox and haven't had any crashes of that sort, although I'm not a heavy flash user except for the occasional trailer, or trip to youtube.
3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 / iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 6 Plus 64GB /iPad with Retina Display 64 GB
3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 / iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 6 Plus 64GB /iPad with Retina Display 64 GB
post #22 of 75
I don't see Preview in this list of fixes. It is so broken in Snow Leopard. I hope we don't have to wait for 10.7 to get Preview working properly again.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #23 of 75
I received Snow Leopard in my Christmas stocking, so I don't have nearly as much experience as some of you guys. Having said that, the only problem I've encountered is a tendency for the mouse (a mighty mouse: yeah, I know) to lose its mind upon being awakened from sleep mode. Other that that, everything is pretty slick. BTW, I use Safari with click-to-flash and have encountered no problems.
post #24 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

I don't see Preview in this list of fixes. It is so broken in Snow Leopard. I hope we don't have to wait for 10.7 to get Preview working properly again.

broken? how?
post #25 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyourownthing View Post

broken? how?

The word search function, in particular. It now takes about 20 times longer to find word instances in documents, and it still misses instances that Preview in Leopard finds. Sometimes the search literally never ends, so you can't figure out if it's done. Searching for strings, which used to be easy, is now utterly hopeless. Also, Preview used to automatically inherit Spotlight search terms and find them in your documents. So nice, but no more. In the process of all this feature and performance subtraction, Preview became a massive RAM hog. They took something that worked virtually perfectly in Leopard and turned it into a complete disaster.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #26 of 75
I have had the iTunes hangs during movie play back so I hope this is what they are addressing.

As far as Safari goes I've not had crashes there but I use Click to Flash which is great.

Actually what I'm really hoping for is that the system moves even more processing over to older GPUs. This would give my early 2008 MBP a nice boost one last time.

More than anything though I hope this new release leaks more info about new machines coming. On the other hand we might not see this release until the new hardware comes out. Apple is probably targetting the end of the month there.

Dave.
post #27 of 75
I have one complain about SL and one only, and that is: FIX THE START UP TIME!!!!

I love the shutdown time on SL, and the start up time of Tiger, please combine the two Apple, cause right now my dad's crappy vista starts up faster then my SL macbook
post #28 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I have had the iTunes hangs during movie play back so I hope this is what they are addressing.

As far as Safari goes I've not had crashes there but I use Click to Flash which is great.

Actually what I'm really hoping for is that the system moves even more processing over to older GPUs. This would give my early 2008 MBP a nice boost one last time.

Dave.

Right now OpenCL only supports nVidia 9400 and newer as well as the newest ATI chips?
post #29 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Not sure what you have in mind. I have a gripe about Preview - the sidebar containing the thumbnails is unnecessarily wide and cannot be narrowed. I translate from PDF documents displayed in Preview to a Word document to the right and lose too much screen real estate to the sidebar (which is useful for navigation now that page numbers no longer appear at the top of Preview)
post #30 of 75
i'm surprised not to see anyone asking adobe to fix flash. granted, this is appleinsider, but i think it's presumptuous to blame apple for flash's woes.

also, 'snowtard' sounds to me like teck stud (mactripper).
post #31 of 75
I've noticed a lot of hanging in iTunes, especially when it first opens and the beach ball appears D: Safari is also very unstable when accessing the Top Sites page.

The absolute WORST program stability-wise is iChat. Sometimes it doesn't connect and it often crashes during chats. Anybody else have problems with iChat?
post #32 of 75
Quote:

K

See this:

http://it.slashdot.org/story/09/12/2...2010?art_pos=4

I use Firefox and installed NoScript.
post #33 of 75
Snow Leopard has had fewer crashed than Leopard for me. Finder and Quicktime have been the biggest culprits, and the iPhone simulator in XCode has some weird delays/behavior also.
post #34 of 75
You know about the only thing that I can think of that I DO want is the ability to sort folders first. I dislike having to wade through folders and files mixed together.

I wonder if there are any third party plug-ins that do this. I know I can sort by 'type' but it's not an ideal workaround when you get to the files.
post #35 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_dog View Post

i'm surprised not to see anyone asking adobe to fix flash.

I think the "fixing" of Flash is so far beyond the realm of possibility that it doesn't even occur to anyone anymore. It's mainly for one reason, too: we're not using Windows like Adobe wants us to.
post #36 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shunnabunich View Post

I think the "fixing" of Flash is so far beyond the realm of possibility that it doesn't even occur to anyone anymore. It's mainly for one reason, too: we're not using Windows like Adobe wants us to.

Hopefully it will become obsolete with HTML5. It's an abomination...
post #37 of 75
What is FileSync? A quick google search revealed what looked to be a third party utility for synchronizing folders/files, but I don't see anything about FileSync as something that is part of the OS.

I've had problems since 10.6 with the Finder in certain situations... I'm wondering if this might resolve those problems...
post #38 of 75
Well, it took a few months, but at least now Mac-fans openly call SL buggy, and don't blame it on '3rd party developers.'

All hail 10.6.3, Our Second Bug Fix Release, and his Heir, 10.6.4, The One That Is Usable!
post #39 of 75
Quote:

K

What version of Flash?
post #40 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amdahl View Post

Well, it took a few months, but at least now Mac-fans openly call SL buggy, and don't blame it on '3rd party developers.'

All hail 10.6.3, Our Second Bug Fix Release, and his Heir, 10.6.4, The One That Is Usable!

A quick search of this thread and it appears you are the only one that called it 'buggy'.

With thousands of lines of code, bugs are inevitable. Overall I would consider SL to be relatively bug free given it's a major release.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple's Mac OS X 10.6.3 to target crashes, over 90 components